Coulda Been...

Printer-friendly version

Alright... the idea behind this is thinking back on how things have happened in my life badly. This is, on a basic level, I guess, my fantasy of how things could have gone. This was the first such scene in my life that occurred to me to write about. There may be more, but I don't know. This was difficult for me to write. Only about 1000 words, with the intro and title.

Coulda Been...
by Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Note: This is dedicated to Eupha Galyen.
My mother.
25 April 1953 - a long time from now.

This didn't happen. The real story is much more painful, but really... this is what might have been in different circumstances. There's a kernel of what really happened here, but...


We sat at opposite ends of the couch, almost mirroring each other's position, half-facing. I kept opening my mouth to talk, and she sat patiently, with an expression on her face that was a bit curious and a bit bemused. I mean, it's not often a twelve-year old invokes the family rules of Serious Discussion.

Uncle Ben told me that the tradition went all the way back to the mid-1700s, when one of our ancestors first was accepted into a tribe of the Principal People -- uh, that's Cherokee Native American, to most folks. That ancestor was a boy about my age, that eventually made his town friends with the nearby village. He also eventually married one of the girls from that tribe. When he realized that none of the People really took anything he had to say as more than just unimportant jabber, rather than getting angry like most young fellas would've back then, he told his wife and both their families that he was making a set of rules for Serious Discussion.

In case you're curious, there's only five rules. Anyone in the family can call for a Serious Discussion. No one is allowed to laugh at anyone else. No one else is allowed to talk until the person that called it is done. No one is allowed to get angry at anyone else. Anyone can ask any questions they want, as long as they save 'em until the end and the one calling it is done.

Well, I had come home late, and Mom was annoyed. So annoyed she hadn't noticed that I was wearing different pants than when I'd gone to school. Before she could say more than, "You're late, young man!" I had held up my hand and calmly said, "I'm calling for a Serious Discussion. You and me only, one-on-one, with an option to others into the topic later. I want a private one on one with a few more folks, too." Don't ask me where I found the courage to do it. But Mom's angry look just... went away. She got the grandparents out of the house and over to another relative's house, Dad (well, my stepfather... but he was Dad to me) was bowling that night, my younger siblings were over at an aunt's house from tonight until Sunday after church. Then me and Mom went into the living room to the couch.

We sat at opposite ends of the couch, almost mirroring each other's position, half-facing. I kept opening my mouth to talk, and she sat patiently, with an expression on her face that was a bit curious and a bit bemused. She reached out and gently took my hand, and nodded encouragement at me. I took a deep breath, and opened my mouth.

Then I shut it again, and looked sheepish for a second. I cleared my throat and said, "Mom... I've really got no idea how to tell you this, but I gotta try." She nodded at me and squeezed my hand, then released it, settling back to listen.

I thought a moment, then went on, "Remember a few months ago, when I was upset that I couldn't go with Aunty and Kasey bra shopping, and you explained to me that it was something only girls should worry about?"

She nodded.

"Well... then I, uh," I stammered. This was so hard. I felt... dirty, and wrong. "I, um, I think I must be a girl, then."

Her eyes bulged and she opened her mouth, but I raised my hand up all calm again and said, "No one else is allowed to talk until the person that called it is done." She frowned and sat back.

I took a deep breath and went on, "Well, my chest has been all sensitive and sore and... I just... augh... I've never really been... whew. This is hard to get out. Mom, I'm sort of not only not your son but I've never really been a boy in the way I think and act and everyone else notices and now there are things that are weird and so I think I may be a girl in more than just the way I think and I really don't know what to do and say and I'm..." I paused and looked over at her, and saw the expression I'd figured I'd see, which was all kinds of confused... so I went on.

"I think I must be a girl and my breasts are developing, Mom."

I stopped and waited for her to answer, now.

"But," she said, looking totally confused, "I know what you look like, I changed your diapers..."

"We learned about something called, 'intersex,' in school -- it means you're between being a boy or a girl."

"I don't know about this," she said, "this isn't a prank is it? I mean, really? You're talking about being a 'morphodite' right? That's really rare."

"Actually... about one out of every fifty-nine people are intersex in some way -- some are hermaphroditic, like you said -- and that's a lot of people. Most that are don't realize it though. Only about one in ten thousand that are ever realize it in their lifetime. So, only about one out of five hundred ninety thousand know that they are, so people think it's a lot more rare than it is."

I waited a moment so that I could see if she understood what I was saying. Numbers and my mom weren't really on speaking terms.

"Mom..." I said, and my voice quavered. Dangit, I'd hoped I'd make it through this, "I'm so scared."

She took me in her long arms in a hug while I lost the fight with my tearducts.

"Shh. Shh-shh-shh," she said softly as she held me and let my sobs melt into her shoulder, "It doesn't matter. We'll figure out what to do."

up
40 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Would've been

It this had happened to me this would not only scared me but left me a terrified wreck. Now that is said the tradition of having a "Serious Discussion" is one I think not only every family could benefit from but everyone in general. So often when needing to have that "serious" talk so many take that as a challenge and opportunity to vent. We all need that chance to vent and clear the air sometimes, but not when one is trying to speak from the heart. Thanks for sharing Edeyn!
Hugs, Huggles, and Smiles!
grover

Wasn't

The actual occurrence wasn't pleasant at all. I was pretty messed up, and if it hadn't been for seven specific people... (my twin sister, my best friend, my girlfriend, my girlfriend's mom, and three other friends that were let in on my new secret pretty much the next day) I know for a fact I would've killed myself sometime in the next couple of years.
Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? Wait, no, that was God. Sorry, common mistake...

Kernels and Pearls

I remember the kernel of this story. I'm kinda reminded of the way oysters deal with bits of grit by turning them into pearls. It feels like ya did the same thing by taking something painful and creating something beautiful.

{{{warm huggs}}}

Heather Rose Brown :)
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Should

Should I post the actual story for comparison, you think? Maybe as a blog?
Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? Wait, no, that was God. Sorry, common mistake...

Shoulda Been

laika's picture

The crazy things these kids do to rebel. Having periods! You stop that right now young man!

Yes, it should have gone down more like what you wrote. Sigh...

Really good story. Parents doing what they're supposed to do.
Hugs, Laika

Doesn't

My mother in actuality just simply believes me to be a liar. I think that may be part of why I'm so upset by the implication or outright accusation of lying. I think this may be why I truly CANNOT lie. I can lie as a character lying when I'm on stage or in a role-playing game, but if I'm just... me, I can't. I just can't do it. Heck, my mother explains away any used pads or tampons she sees when I'm 'on' with about as much logic as you'd find in a brick.
Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? Wait, no, that was God. Sorry, common mistake...

A Medical Problem?

Angharad's picture

But this is a medical problem, shouldn't a doctor have been able to give a clear diagnosis and put the others straight?

Thanks for sharing it with us,

hugs,

Angharad.

Angharad

You'd like to think that, wouldn't you?

In the state of Kansas, if it has been more than 45 business days since the birth, the Birth Certificate cannot be changed without proof of surgery. My problem was unable to be noticed until I started my period -- 12+ years after the birth. I also cannot have surgery due to a blood disorder (that I'm the only one in the world to have) and being on 4-5 times the normal maintenance dosage of blood thinners for clotters. And yes, doctors HAVE explained it folks. The standard answer (remember, I'm from the damn Ozarks) is, "But he's a boy. Has been long's I've knowed him."
Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? Wait, no, that was God. Sorry, common mistake...

Surgery

You'd be amazed at exactly how little a doctor has to do to constitute "surgery". My insurance policy requires me to pay 10% of any surgical procedures in addition to the office copay. I got a bill once for an exam that involved no more than a finger in a latex glove and a squirt of lube. Whatever the doctor wrote on the claim form got classified as a surgical procedure, despite the fact that no tissue was cut, nor blood spilled, nor sutures made.

I realize that Kansas is somewhere on the dark side of the Middle Ages, but most courts will recognize facts if banged sufficiently hard over the head with them.

Eve's Rib

Hi:

I am reading a book right now called Eve's Rib. It goes into the myriad differences between boys and girls, then it goes into various intersex conditions. There are so many different situations that I am just astonished. I do not know that it goes into transgender situations since I have not read that far.

I just hope that you have been able to adjust to circumstances that you did not ask for.

From my point of view as a transwoman, I just wish that I had solid evidence that I am different, but from what I see, that is not going to surface for 10 or 20 years.

Gwenellen

OOPs, I'm thinking again, smell the smoke.

So, let me get this right, you have your period and your own mom can't get.... IT?
Well, in my opinion, she is suffering from a disassociative disorder. And, you mean to tell me that the Docs are smart enought to understand a blood disorder but not that you are having a period. Why, this is simply insane to me.

Run. Run like hell if you can. As far as I am concerned, if you are mensing, then you probably have a Cervix and ovaries and a vagina. Do you have a penis of normal size and gonads too?

My guess is that the gonies are atrophied. They should be larger than a marble, and some are bigger than that.

I suppose a lot depends upon if you live as a boy or a girl. Being a Transwoman, you should know that I am very biased; I'd live as a girl. It all depends upon what you want.
Perhaps in a place that is not as quite as back woods, you could have surgery to fix it all?

Many Blessings and please do keep us posted.

Gwen Ellen Boucher

All of us

All of us are unique, but after reading your Live Journal entry it seems some of us are more so than the usual. I identify with the Transgender/Transexual side of the house but have a fascination with those with intersex conditions. Ok get your minds out of the gutter! I know how I feel and like many here have been in that inner dogfight with myself over how I feel vs I how I look/expected to behave. To have something psychical to point out and say this is why would be a relief and release. I am not making light of your problems but instead wish you nothing but the very best. There is an old saying that goes something like, "No matter how hard you think you have it, there is always someone else who has it worse." You are a wonderful person and I admire your writing and courage in being yourself. Thank you for sharing with us
Hugs!
grover

PS: This series has gotten thinking about a story IDEA that has the working title of "In a perfect world." Who knows it might go beyond an idea and become a story! If I can get a novel written, story for contest proofed, backlog of other stories proofed, and not to mention stop procrastinating. :)

Could A Been

Edeyn, I read both of your recent entries. I must say that you have been through more than I could ever go through. The surgery helped you to be the wonderful person that you are. I am glad that you are here on Big Closet

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Hah?

What surgery are you talking about? I've had two surgeries in my life. When I was 17 I had knee surgery, and last year I had surgery to have a Greenfield Filter implanted in my Vena Cava (A cage to catch bloodclots in my main arterial blood flow before they reach heart / lungs). Neither of those really did anything to make me a better person. Well, the knee surgery made me less grumpy about it hurting, and the Greenfield Filter keeps me from randomly dying of blood clots with no warning... but other than that, I have no clue about what you're talking.
Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
Wasn't it Jim Henson who said, "Without faith, I am nothing," after all? Wait, no, that was God. Sorry, common mistake...