Scrabble

Printer-friendly version

"And you're certain it was him?"

"Yes, ma'am. There's no doubt left to be had with all the evidence."

Scrabble
by Edeyn Hannah Blackeney
A story of Murder & Mystery, Noir & Narrative



"And you're certain it was him?"

"Yes, ma'am. There's no doubt left to be had with all the evidence."

"Thank you, Agent Carmody. Any advice for a woman in my position?"

"Afraid not. I don't have any men in my life. My dad died when I was 4, no brothers, no male cousins, went to a private girls' school, and I've been out as a lesbian since 8th grade. I have less clue about the male psyche than your average 4th grader. Is cooties still as big a threat these days?"

I smiled at her... Pity I'm not into chicks, she's what Z would call 'plasmoid' -- hotter than hot. But now what? Why would Z do something like this -- my own son? There is NOTHING that I can think of that would cause him to do... even the thought made my stomach turn.

"Ma'am?" asked Agent Carmody quietly, "We should probably get you in protective custody. A lot of times, family members think that the accused would hesitate, wouldn't do the same to them --"

"Yes. Whatever you need, Agent," I interrupted her. I didn't want to hear how horrible my son was. The evidence spoke volumes. Z, how could you?

She nodded and took me to a big SUV. I don't really remember anything until I was talking to the Marshal at the FBI building later that day. While he was telling me what to expect -- sort of a blend of what you see on TV and the real world, actually -- Agent Carmody knocked softly on the door.

I looked up at the knock, but it was Marshal McCormac that answered, "Is there something wrong?"

She paused a moment, like she was trying to phrase herself correctly.

"Ma'am --"

"I don't think I can take much more of 'Ma'am' from you people. My name is Rebecca."

She smiled in almost a flicker, then started again, "Rebecca, then, I'm sorry to say that we didn't catch up with him. It looks like he's left town, but he's smart enough he could have left us a false trail. We don't want you going back home quite yet, but we can probably drop the guard detail down to just a pair each of Agents from us, and the Marshals."

"That's good news. I was wondering how I'd keep my officers happy with double shifts. One pair I can spare easily. You want live-ins?"

"Not necessary, Marshal," she answered him, "We'll supply the live-ins, you supply the surveilling pair."

They talked some more, and then took me to what they called a safe house. After an evening of pizza and watching something on television that I wouldn't remember 5 minutes after seeing, I went to bed.

"Mom."

The voice in the darkness at once filled me with joy and terror.

"Mom."

He wasn't whispering, so something had happened.

"Mom."

"I'm awake, Z. What have you done, now?"

"Mom, I didn't do this that they're accusing me of. I know all of their evidence says I did, but you've got to believe me, I'm your son."

"Didn't you once tell me that familial bonds are not a logical basis for an argument to springboard from?"

"I... believe I did. Um, please believe me?"

"They say that the evidence is incontrovertible. So, what do you have to... controvert it?"

"Past behaviour. Ask them to have their psych docs examine everything I've done in the past, and if it fits anything I would -- or could -- possibly have done."

"Why aren't you more scared they'll walk in here?"

"Remember the blowgun Uncle Mickey taught me to use when I was eleven?"

"You drugged them?"

"Well, the guys out in the car down the street. The two in the house were just dumb enough to drink the scotch."

That explained some things. After Z and his best friends had gotten into my liquor cabinet several years ago, I kept the openly available scotch laced with enough valium to knock a body out after one glass. Apparently, he had known that.

"Z... just give yourself up, if you didn't do it, they'll clear you --"

"Mom, stop. You said yourself they have 'incontrovertible' evidence. Once cops are convinced that they have the right person, they stop looking for new suspects and focus on gathering more evidence against --"

A car door outside, followed by footsteps pounding up the sidewalk.

"Gotta go. I guess the good guys were supposed to check in."

"Z! Please, turn yourself in!"

He was gone.

I was sitting on the bed crying when Agent Carmody burst in, gun drawn.

She took one glance at me and barked back out toward the front room, "He was here, can't have gotten far, call in a canvassing crew!"

"He says the evidence is wrong."

She looked at me, with a mixture of pity and condescension.

"No, it's not. He beat that girl so badly it killed her. Her mother said she had complained about him in the past. There's a history."

"Look, he's my only child. Have your psych docs look at it again, make sure that the mother isn't lying... something. He could have killed those Marshals instead of just knocking them out. That should tell you --"

"What it tells me, Rebecca, is that he's too smart to add another murder charge to his list."

"Please. Call it appeasing a parent."

She sighed.

"Okay. Fine. I'll have the local forensic psychologist have a look at his profile on Monday."

She left then, and I spent the rest of the weekend pretty much crying. Come Monday morning, I was introduced to Doctor Cuvy ZpTenj, the forensic psychologist for all of Polk County.

"My name is difficult for most English-speakers to wrap their tongues around, feel free to call me Cuvy, or if you're feeling precocious, Doc, or Doc Cuvy, or whatever makes you comfortable."

She had an easy manner about her that made her instantly likeable.

"I need to ask you some things about your son, so I can build a profile and see that the FBI is doing their job correctly. Is that okay?"

I nodded.

"First off, he's listed in most cases -- and when I've seen him in the papers -- as just, 'Z' for a first name, not with a period for an initial, and yet, none of his names start with that letter. Can you tell me the story there?"

I smiled slightly. His name. That's what drove him to do this horrible... no.

"Ukriel Vanessaphra Winifred Xiomatesqa Yabbigajl. My husband gave him the most, ah, original, names he could find. Winifred may not be unheard of, but for a boy? Anyway, Z was the only letter of the alphabet not used, so I started calling him my Z within hours of his being born."

"Speaking of unpronounceable names..." she muttered, "Did he ever evince any dissatisfaction with his name?"

"Well, yeah, but what kid doesn't? By the time he was in 5th grade he was having fun with it, signing his name in a Z-pattern. Like this --"

I grabbed a pencil and post it off the end table and showed her:


U Vanessaphra
W
in
if
r
ed
Xiomatesqa Y


"These days he just signs a big 3-stroke 'Z' kind of Zorro-style, and he's sort of proud of the uniqueness, I think. Oh, he'd complain, and whinge about it, but it was always joking around."

"I see. To your knowledge, has your son ever been violent or destructive?"

"No more so than any other child. He's always been a caring and loving boy."

"So, in your opinion, finding out that the girl he was dating was born a boy wouldn't have set him off?"

"No! I don't really think it would. Lacey was a wonderful -- and beautiful girl, and she was definitely a girl despite what her birth plumbing was. He was planning on proposing to her after graduation. Even finding out a secret like that wouldn't have put him off. But your Agents are so certain --"

"Not my Agents, Ma'am. I work for the county, not the feds."

"The government's Agents, then, are so certain that the evidence is absolute."

"Too much reliance on DNA and not enough on police work, if you ask me. Where are the Mulder and Scully people anymore? Anyway. I have prepared a quick question sheet, if you could fill this out for me, I can see what I think. I'm also talking to Lacey's parents, a few known associates -- sorry -- friends of your son's, and going to do the same workup on the witness and the victim."

"Thank you, Doc."

"Don't mention it. Just be sure to remind me not to take that left turn at Albuh-koy-kee."

I filled out the one sheet of paper and gave it to her, along with a list of Z's friends that I knew about, and an estimate of how long he'd known each of them. Jordan Pierce, Quinn Bixton, and Xavii Davis were his three closest friends -- the four of them talked about being the high-point Scrabble Tiles: JQXZ. Jordan and Xavii had been a part of his life since they were all in pre-school and bored together. Geek solidarity, Yo? Quinn had joined the trio to make it a quartet about halfway through fourth grade when her parents moved into the area, and they'd been inseparable since. No, there wasn't any romantic ties between any of the four, as far as I knew. All four of the kids were straight, but Z just didn't think of those three as part of his dating pool -- they were closer than just friends, more like sisters to him. If anyone is a good start to find out more about him, those three are. They know things about my son that I'm sure I don't WANT to know.

"I'm certain it wasn't a hate crime, Doc, last Hallowe'en, Z and Lacey, along with the three friends I mentioned, went as the Spice Girls, and the girls all four took it as a project to make Z as girly as possible. He took it in stride, and is very secure in who he was."

She nodded at me but didn't write anything down.

Aren't these Psychosis types supposed to at least doodle?

I handed her the paper and stood.

"I'm going to get a cup of hot tea, would you like one?" I offered her, but she just stared at the paper and halfway motioned a negative at me.

I shrugged and headed to the kitchen. I was just dropping the bag into the cup and pouring on the water when my cell phone rang and the entire population of the house sprang into action. Microphones, listening devices, and probably a spy gadget or three were turned on and I was motioned that it was okay to answer.

"Missus Becca Lady? Is something wrong with Z? I haven't seen him since Friday, and Lacey's not at school, either."

"Oh, Quinn. I was going to call you and the other Scrabblers, anyway. Can you meet up with me after school is out? Z is in some big trouble, but I need you to keep it just to the three of you," I looked at the note scribbled by an Agent (or a Marshal, damned if I know) on a small white-board and added, "I'll be at the Starbucks on Gordon Street at 3:30. Thanks for caring enough to call, sweetie. Bye."

I hung up and looked over at Agent Carmody. She frowned, then shrugged, then nodded at me and turned back to whatever she was doing before.

I went back in the kitchen to finish making my cup of tea.

Around 2:45, we arrived at the Starbucks as planned, and they set themselves up all under-cover-ish like you see on television, so they could listen in to what was going on. Just before 3:30, the girls all got there together.

"Hey, Missus Becca Lady, there was an announcement last period that there was going to be a memorial service and a wake for Lacey this week -- what happened?"

"Sit down, girls."

They all sat and motioned to the barista for their 'regular' orders. I didn't know how to proceed, so I just let all of the litter out of the satchel.

"Lacey was beaten to death on Friday night, and they think Z is the one that did it."

"No way!"

"Never!"

"He loves her!"

I held up my hand and they instantly silenced.

"The FBI and U.S. Marshals are both working on what happened, since Z has gone missing. They are convinced he did it, but they want the three of you to talk to their psychologist -- sorry -- the county psychologist, to build a profile and see if she thinks he could be capable of it. We all know he couldn't have, but they're convinced and refuse to look at other people because their 'evidence' is apparently without a doubt."

All three were doing their version of a fish impression.

"I need you to each call your parents and have them all come to my house this evening, so that permissions and legal things can be worked out, okay?"

Still with the fish.

"Look, girls, this can help him. If we don't get this moving, they'll catch him and not look for the real killer. Okay?"

Just keep swimming...

I smacked my hands on the tabletop, and they all startled and then nodded. They looked frightened.

"Okay. Finish your coffees and I'll see you later tonight."

I went up to the counter and paid for my coffee and the three of theirs, before heading out the door. I was quickly followed by the Agents and Marshals, and a quick conversation with them convinced them that going back to my own home was the best course. Agent Carmody would be bringing my things over from the safe house shortly. I just wanted to calm down.

At around 6pm, all the girls and their parents arrived. They were briefed by the Marshals on what had happened, and the girls were given permission to talk to Doc, the correct papers signed. One by one they went into my guest room to talk to her, and one by one they came out with tears in their eyes. The A&M stayed in my kitchen, out of the way, mostly, but the group of parents and I waited in the den, the television on but none of us paying it any mind. We were all very familiar, as our children had been friends for so long.

After all the discussions with Doc, she said she'd have her opinions by morning, and was it alright to use my guest room so she wouldn't have to go home and then come back tomorrow? I nodded approval, and one of the troops raided my linen closet for the bed in there. The girls and their families took their leave, though, and I promised to keep them all informed.

This was a nightmare situation, and I needed a hot shower -- no... a long, hot soak in a bath. I don't take baths to get clean -- rather counterproductive. Baths were for stress relief, so I didn't use the deep garden-style tub often. That's why I let Z have the master bedroom with the private bath, because I didn't need it. I ran the water as hot as I could stand it, and let the water begin to fill. I checked on my guest, and Doc assured me she was fine with the pizza the A&M troops had already sent for, and then went to settle into my bath.

I could feel the stress and the emotional walls dissolving as I sank into the water and gently played with the sudsy bubbles, and allowed my eyes to close. Tears began to leak quietly and without sobs as my mind played over the possibility that the worst could be true. Could I be that wrong about my son?

The water had begun to cool comfortably, and the smell of pizza slipped under the door, making me think about getting out of the tub when the sounds of gunshots began to fill the night.

up
78 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

You Haven't Indicated

joannebarbarella's picture

If there is more. I hope there is. I want to know whodunit,
Joanne

Good start

Good start, if that is what it is.

Spot on

Great stuff.
Really liked the dialogue and the underlying intelligence of the piece. Smooth editing, no distracting typos. Really high quality and more-ish.
Yep, I'd like more.
XX
AD

Scrabblers

Ok, the title caught my eye and I read it. After doing so, all I can say is that I *HOPE* you aren't going to leave this as hanging as it is. What in the bloody world is going on there? Tell us, please?

Goldie

This a wonderful start

Edyen please keep writing this is as good as SK8r Grrls

love needs to be unconditional

love needs to be unconditional