The Sacrificial Boy : Chapter 8

Printer-friendly version
The Sacrificial Boy

by:
Elsbeth

Aislin learns that all choices in life come with consequences

Sorceress.jpg

Chapter 8


Aislin drifted in her normal dreams, neither disturbing nor important enough for her to remember when unexpectedly she found herself flying high in the clouds. Below lay all the great Kingdoms, seemingly rich and full of life.

Truly enjoying the feeling of flight, she shot forward quickly, covering the distance between her own Kingdom of Airthir and the neighboring Kingdom of Dájl Riata. Suddenly below her deep in the Forest of Wyre, a great rift opened up. From deep beneath the ground, rich red blood pushed upwards, like molten stone.

The rift did not close but opened further with more of the red flood now covering both kingdoms. From there, it continued to spread its destruction into the smaller Kingdoms to the south and the Grand Duchy of Eilne to the north and the Grand Duchy of Osmond to the east.

The civilized lands, now covered in the red flood, became susceptible to strange darkness coming out of the north. Moving slowly south, the darkness ravished the weakened kingdoms, leaving nothing but a rotting wasteland.

As the last of them turned to dust, Aislin sat up. Rubbing her face with her hands, she noticed that the sunrise remained hours away. Shivering and not from the cold, she wrapped her arms around Macha, hoping that sleep would soon reclaim her after such a troubling dream.

--0--

Macha let out a soft sigh, contented to find Aislin still in her arms the next morning. With the slight chill in the air, the two sought warmth with one another’s bodies. However pleasurable it might be, unfortunately, Macha couldn’t appreciate it fully as the illness had worsened during the night.

“Sit still.” A firm voice commanded her; looking down, Macha found Aislin wide-awake and staring into her eyes.

“You should eat first.” The young apprentice tried to pull back. Aislin didn’t have to do this now, perhaps get some food first, but her love would have none of that.

“Watch what I’m doing.” Aislin sat up, ignoring their nudity as she placed her hands on her friend’s chest.

Suddenly feeling better, the young apprentice frowned. “I didn’t see anything, what did you do?”

Aislin sighed; surprisingly, the healing didn’t take a lot out of her. Hopefully, the rest of the day would go the same. Still, if Macha didn’t see what she was doing. “I was afraid you might say that. I’ll try again with grandmother, hopefully between the two of you-”

Macha’s lips smothered her last words. “I can’t believe how much better I feel, it’s as if I wasn’t sick at all.”

Breathing lightly, Aislin quivered at the tenderness of the kiss. “Strange, isn’t it. Even Sir Miles felt instantly better.”

Macha reached for one more kiss, as they reluctantly climbed out of bed. Walking around the room, Aislin knew that if neither her grandmother nor Macha could help, healing everyone was going to be impossible. Perhaps she could find another way.

Macha smiled, thoroughly enjoying the view. She figured that Aislin didn’t even realize that she wasn’t wearing any clothing. “Perhaps you should get dressed, my sweet before you head up to the castle.”

“Oh.” Aislin looked down and blushed, reaching to cover herself.

Giggling, Macha went to the other side of the room. “I’ll help you dress. Let’s get a clean chemise on you; same outer dress as yesterday?” Gillian had not been the only one to recognize the outfit as that of a King’s Healer.

Aislin frowned for a moment then nodded.

“Good.” Macha started going through the trunk. Traditionally, the daughter of a King’s Healer, with the gift, would automatically become a King’s Healer herself.

As the granddaughter of a Court Healer, Macha understood that Aislin’s past had all of the markings of some sort of political trouble. Why would a King’s Healer go into hiding, she didn’t know. Ina, unfortunately, refused to speak about it.

Why the secrecy?

--0--

“You need to eat more.” Ina poured another cup of tea for her granddaughter.

Aislin made a face at the black liquid. Although it would keep her alert for most of the day, the tea was never one of her favorites. “Gran, I won’t be able to move if I eat more.”

Ignoring the tea, she reached instead for a small slice of cheese. Popping it into her mouth, she decided she had had enough breakfast. Aislin did understand the need for the food. Unfortunately, like Macha, her grandmother had not been able to see how she healed the spirit. At that moment, Gillian included they all insisted that she eat as much as possible, as she had a lot to do today.

“Still, I’m surprised how quickly my body recovered; it’s as if I wasn't ill at all.”

Aislin gave an amused chuckle, as she reluctantly picked up the cup of tea and took a sip. The real possibility that she would have to heal all of those inflicted with Black Stone illness, as they started to call it, now seemed all too real.

Aislin knew her Gran spoke with Gillian during the night and now believed the spread of the strange malady had been the result of either unearthing or damaging the black obelisk. Still, moving such objects, although not uncommon, had happened before, what was so special about this one?

“I’m not sure if we can really call it an illness, Gran, it acts like nothing I have seen or read about.”

Macha poured a cup of tea and then took a seat. “How do you feel? You have seen everyone that has been ill, but you haven’t come down with this curse.”

“Tired, nothing more, hopefully, whatever allows me to remove the illness, also protects me as well.” Aislin gave a nervous smile. She had indeed been lucky.

“I do not know of such things, my lady, but perhaps you also have the makings of a Thaumaturgist.” Gillian stood near the hearth, slowly stirring a pot of porridge.

“Well, obviously, you can heal the body and the spirit, so perhaps you do have the ability to command those types of creatures. With a few more powers, you’ll even have the makings of a Sorceress.” Macha giggled.

“Don’t say such things even in jest,” Ina exclaimed in irritation.

A pounding at the door made everyone jump.

“Miles?” Aislin stood as the Knight entered the cottage.

“Good morning to you all…Aislin.” With a warm smile, he took her by the hand and kissed it. “My dear lady, you have brought me back from the very gates of the Abyss.”

“I take it, Sir Miles, that you are here to take my granddaughter to the castle?” Ina gave a half glance at her apprentice, who didn’t seem particularly happy with the Knight’s affection given to her grandchild.

“Indeed, Mistress, there are many gravely ill persons desiring her attention.”

Aislin nodded. “Let me get my bag.”

“I’m coming with you today.” Macha returned from the back with her own bag. Catching Ina’s eye, who nodded in agreement, she continued. “I won’t be able to heal, but I can lend you my strength.”

The Wise Woman and her apprentice had decided earlier that morning, after their failed attempted to understand Aislin’s spiritual healing, that Aislin needed the assistance of another healer. Macha was more than capable, and someone needed to be with her just in case she spent the night in the Keep.

“Won’t you need her?”

“No, child.” The Wise Woman began. “Gillian and I can easily see to the sick in the village. Unfortunately, all we can do at this point is to keep them comfortable until you can heal them.”

The painful reality hit Aislin. Although she had to ability to fight the curse, she could only heal one person at a time, even then only if her strength allowed it. How many villagers were going to die, because she didn’t have that strength?

As the group left the cottage, she discovered a dozen armsmen and a single horse at the ready. “No carriage.” Not that she minded riding to the castle, but shouldn't here be two horses?

“Well, no.” Sir Miles looked startled, now understanding Mistress Gillian’s presence.

“Miles, does Nevan even know that you have come to take me back to the castle?” Obviously, Miles had been unaware that Nevan had commanded Mistress Gillian to accompany her.

“Sort of, I’m afraid that other matters have detained my cousin this morning. We had a couple of young servants go missing during the night. It’s not uncommon, as they often run back to their village, but one of the girls was castle born and the daughter to one of our armsmen.”

“So why the additional armsmen?” Aislin frowned, finding herself angry at the thought of someone taking advantage, during this time, to harm another.

The Knight’s voice was firm. “Three of my best men will accompany you as you heal those in the castle. I do not know if we have a problem or not. Even so, I will not leave you unguarded.”

The young healer thanked Sir Miles but was disappointed to find that several armsmen in her escort were ill. “Some of these men are sick, Miles; they should have been left in the castle.”

The Knight shrugged. “Most of the armsmen in the barracks are ill, Aislin.”

“I see, now at least I know where to start, but first I would like to see the most grievous ill in the village. Gran, let’s start with Jaralth.”

“That will not be necessary.” Colcothar, the village headman and Rowena’s father, approached, followed by his wife and two elders. “He dwells in the land of the dead now.”

“No.” Aislin hand flew to her mouth in distress.

“Master Loran died last night as well,” Seara said accusingly, which was news to the others in her group. “I just left Matilda with Rowena. With her mother dying last winter, perhaps someone in the village will be able to take her in as it now appears she is an orphan.”

Macha stepped forward to hold Aislin’s hand. She knew although none of it was her love’s fault, that she would take each death personally.

Master Muir, one of the village elders, bowed. “Excuse me if we are disturbing you, Sir Miles, but we heard that you were gravely ill. It seems that perhaps it was nothing more than a rumor.”

“Oh, it was true, Goodman. It was a pleasure to discover yesterday that Milady Aislin’s beauty matches her healing ability.” Sir Miles spoke to all, but his warm gaze was only for Aislin.

The young healer turned away, embarrassed.

Seara had an exasperated look on her face as she walked past her husband to confront Aislin. “If you’re such an accomplished healer, why didn’t you attend those two men yesterday?”

Ina quickly stepped in the way, keeping Aislin behind her. “She was in no condition to heal anyone when she returned from the Keep last night, Seara.”

Macha looked around, noticing that the argument had started to attract others from the village. Macha lowered her voice to almost a whisper. “Perhaps you should mount your horse, Aislin.”

“How is it that after appearing so sick yesterday, you are now quite fit, Ina? So, tell me, did your grandchild heal the two of you last night, leaving those poor men to die.” A second woman, her voice filled with scorn, approached the healer’s cottage.

From behind her, more angry voices could be heard as the square slowly filled with villagers.

“You know that’s not true Una, she healed the two of us this morning” Ina shook her head sadly. “Aislin would have healed Jaralth and Loran if she had the strength, but she was at the castle all day yesterday. In fact, Sir Nevan has commanded her to return this morning.”

“They’re sick people in this village, why is she going to the castle at all?” Master Tearlach, one of the elders, shouted.

“My husband can’t get out of bed.”

“My daughter is sick; she can barely open her eyes.” Another woman cried out, soon others were shouting at Aislin.

“Quiet.” Sir Miles barked, his voice ringing with command. Mounting his horse, he turned to the mob. “Lady Aislin has agreed to visit a few of your homes today, be thankful for that. Afterward, she will be at the Keep. Your own Wise Woman will take care of those ill until she can find the time to return.”

That small concession didn’t seem to appease the villagers. Sir Miles had enough, standing on his stirrups, he shouted. “Disburse; back to your homes. Sergeant, help these people along.”

“You should visit Master Ian and Master Ronan before you head up to the castle.” The Wise Woman leaning forward whispered. “There was nothing you could have done last night, child.”

Shocked at how quickly things seemed to get out of hand, Aislin just nodded. Mounting, she looked down at Macha with concern. Seeing her troubled, the Knight smiled. “Don’t worry; I will carry your friend.”

Reaching down, he grabbed the young apprentice’s hand and lifted her onto the horse. Noticing that the armsmen had forced the villagers into their homes, Sir Miles turned in the saddle. “You still wish to help these people.”

Aislin sighed. “Yes.”

Ina stepped forward to hold her grandchild’s hand. “Take care, and don’t push yourself. Allow Macha to help you; don’t use all of your strength.”

“I will love you.” She said with tears in her eyes.

“I love you too; Mistress Gillian and I will be fine. Now be off, you have a busy day ahead of you.”

--0--

Aislin reflected that in the last few days, she had almost drunk a river of the red berry tea. Her grandmother had, as usual, been correct about eating a large breakfast, as she had just spent the entire morning in the barracks.

Not at all surprised to learn all of those seriously ill had been part of the group that unearthed the obelisk or had been standing guard over it, she now rested in the west tower, in a room given to her for the night, lunching with Constable Sinclair.

Macha smiled as one of the servants set down a platter of meats. Although she couldn’t see how her love healed the armsmen, the results were astounding. Men who seemed on the verge of dying instead got ready to stand watch for those who were still ill.

“It’s simply amazing how much better I feel, Aislin.”

The Constable returned from speaking to Aislin’s escort, a wide smile on his face. Motioning for one of the servants for a plate of food, he sat down, ready to enjoy lunch with his lovely guest.

Taking a bit of meat and cheese in hand, he said. “I’m sure you have heard this all before, but you have your mother’s eyes, although I can see a bit of your father in you as well.”

“You knew my parents.” Aislin sat back, surprised.

Constable Sinclair nodded, taking a large mouthful of ale before answering. “Aye lass, they were fine people. In fact, that lift that the food was brought up on is one of your father’s designs.”

Aislin twisted in her seat to watch one of the castle servants open a small wooden door revealing a hole in the wall. Placing several empty platters on a small wooden platform, the servant reached up, pulling a small lever, releasing the platform to slowly move down inside the cast walls to the bottom of the keep.

“I knew he worked around our cottage.”

“Yes, your mother was very pleased. Your father built a garderobe (medieval bathroom) outside. I’m sure you’re also aware that the irrigation system the farms use in the area was also built by your father.”

“No, I thought my father was a Sergeant in the King’s army.”

The Constable laughed, almost spilling his ale. “Who told you that nonsense?”

“My grandmother.”

“That woman.” He shook his head in disgust. Looking at Aislin for a moment, his left eyebrow rose a little. “Aislin, your father, if you asked him, would tell you that he was one of the King’s Engineers. He was most proud of that accomplishment.”

As casually as she could manage, Aislin asked. “My mother said he died in battle, although she wouldn’t talk much about it.”

“No, Regan, your mother, took it rather hard.” Looking down at his mug, the Constable said.” She died more of a broken heart than anything else. She also never forgave Duke Blathmac, knowing her husband couldn’t say no to him, as the Duke came to your cottage personally to ask for your father’s assistance.”

“I thought my father was an engineer?”

“Aye, he was the best, lass, but” The Constable looked up at Aislin but not seeing her, his vision fixed on something in the past. “I never saw a man who could command infantry the way he did. Your father could even get untrained troops to perform well. He was a lot like his father.”

“My grandfather?”

“Yes, although I told you that you have your mother’s eyes, you’re a mirror image of your grandmother when she was young. I understand now why your father dressed you as a boy, he was always smart that one.”

Aislin looked towards Macha, who shrugged. The past few weeks had been terribly confusing for the young healer. For her whole life, she had been treated as a boy of no consequence, someone to be ridiculed and scorned. To the same people now, she appeared as a gentlewoman, a member of the nobility, and a Kings Healer.

When Sir Miles invited her to dinner, it would have been easier to appear dressed as a boy. From what Aislin gathered, she would not have been harmed. Had this been her grandmother’s plan the whole time?

“I see you’re wearing your mother’s medallion, although, with your ability, it’s rightfully yours. Keep it on you, it should offer you-” The older man stopped talking, taking a long sip of ale before setting it down.

Aislin lifted the golden disk into her hand, running her fingers over the runes. “Can you tell me more about my parents?”

“What has your grandmother told you?”

The young healer shrugged. “Not a lot.”

“By the gods of battle, that woman and her secrets. Unfortunately, Aislin, they are not mine to tell either. I suggest that you speak to Lord Kelvin upon his return.”

“Lord Kelvin?”

“Aye, now, don’t be surprised lass if he isn’t happy with you dressed as you are, and he will not be pleased to discover that you have gained Sir Nevan’s interest.”

Aislin blushed. “That had never been my intention.”

The Constable roared in laughter. Rising from the table, he knelt in front of Aislin. Taking a small gold and silver ring with a deep blue stone set in its center ring from his finger, he presented it to Aislin.

“My lady, please take this symbol of my household. If you are ever in need, send a messenger to me with this ring, and I will come to your aid with all possible speed. I owe your father a great deal, including my life.”

Satisfied, the Constable stood up, rubbing his hands together. “Now come, we have still have work to do. I haven’t made my rounds in days, and you, Milady, still have the ill to attend to.”

--0--

Even before the sunset, with the long shadows of the afternoon hiding its approach, the shadow cat came across a pair of unsuspecting young girls taking down the wash. Later in the evening, the creature found another girl, this time alone, returning from the creek with a bucket of water for an ill relative.

Now long past midnight, it sat on top of the village’s mill. For some reason, it could feel a pull to this particular village. Finally, understanding why it dropped to the ground before silently moving through the streets peering every so often into windows. If anyone had been near the shadow creature, they would have heard what sounded like an amused chuckle. The amusement faded, however, when it reached the healer’s cottage.

Circling the structure several times, the creature tried to get closer but found that something barred its entrance. Knowing that it could force an entrance if necessary, the cat sat in the center of the road, annoyed.

Staring at the cottage, it suddenly took flight, finding a comfortable spot high in the trees. At least it could tell that someone with power resided inside, but not enough to be of real use. Hopefully, whoever had created the powerful wards that protected the inhabitants would return home soon.

up
297 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

There are

stories that pulls you in capturing all your senses. This one is like that. I could tasted that tea and smell the early morning dew. Elsbeth this is good!
hugs
Grover

The Sacrificial Boy

Elsbeth's picture

Thank you Grover, I'm happy your enjoying my story. Thanks for reading.

*hugs*

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

The Sacrificial Boy

Kings Engineer...interesting...good chapter

++++++++++++
Cartman: A fine day of plundering we had boys. What about yourselves? Here you are lads, plenty of booty to go around. A round of grog for me boys. A round of grog for everyone!

Masterful job

I can feel the tension building... Aislin and the shadow cat are destined to have a climactic confrontation! I also see that Aislin is referred to as "she" by the narrator. Does Aislin now come to see herself as a woman, or is she just immersing in a role?
Great, great stuff by an awesome fantasy authoress. **Sigh**

Words may be false and full of art;
Sighs are the natural language of the heart.
-Thomas Shadwell

Interesting...

So the cat is capable of logical deduction and reasoning. And, apparently, it's on a mission of some sort, even if it doesn't quite know that just yet. :P

It may just be me, but I'mstarting to wonder if this cat is indeed a threat or something that could potentially become an ally in all of this, with the right persuasions. I say that just from the way that the last scene was worded and how the cat was portrayed. And in case anyone was wondering what makes me think that... For example, it could have forced an entry into the healer's cottage but chose not to instead. I think it likely it did so as that would have invoked a forceful, if futile, responce from the occupant(s) of the cottage and it will end up needing their cooperation on something.

Excellent storytelling here, Elsbeth, truely wonderful stuff. I'm looking forward to seeing just why the grandmother lied about Aislin's parents in so far as what they did in life and how they died.

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Secrets and Lies

Elsbeth's picture

I'm glad your liking the story, and yes the grandmother has her reasons and so do a few others. We shall see if they are good reasons :) Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

The reason so many healers become hermits.

Having to choose is so hard nigh up impossible. Good thing Macha is there to help her heart it's not going to be easier.
So talented:)
*Great Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

Hard nigh up impossible

Elsbeth's picture

Thank you Bailey :) As to the poor healers, very true, and obviously everyone has ideas who should be healed first and Aislin is caught in the middle. Happy your liking the story.

*hugs*

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Not a lot of movement in this chapter

But don't you love the hypocrisy of the villagers who suddenly expect the person they so derided to come help them. Yes, they're sick but I find that few people are capable of really high integrity (no perfect integrity, let's face it, there are no 'saints' that I know of) in terms of deeds versus what they know is right.

Kim

High integrity

Elsbeth's picture

Well of course, she isn't important as the villagers have forgotten or actually they don't care, how poorly they have always treated her.

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

secrets

Eventually, the whole story is going to come out.

DogSig.png

Secrets and Lies

Elsbeth's picture

True :) Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Worst in people

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Nothing like a disaster to bring out the worst in people. Sadly, the competing pressures of the castle and the village are going to cause a lot of problems for Aislin and fan the flame of old and new prejudices.

Thank you for another great chapter in this story.



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Disasters

Elsbeth's picture

Thanks, I'm happy your liking the story. Disasters tend to bring the best and the worst out in people.

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Could the dream of Aislin

be her sensing the cat??

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

More interesting

If she defeats the shadow cat will everyone be healed? I wonder.

She could say something very nice, like:
You mistreated me all this time, now you want me to save your lives?

Or:

Look, accusing the only person capable of healing you is not wise. What are you going to do? Kill me and die sick?

But really, some villagers may be trying to blame her for the curse somehow.

Just as interesting I think

... is just what did the shadow cat do to those girls/women who are missing, it is not really mentioned. You would think they were 'eaten' but what does that mean?

Kim

Hi Elsbeth!

Aislin has certainly come a long way from the beginning. The latest relevation about her parents was interesting, but created more questions than answers. She seems to be gaining strength in healing ability, but will it be enough? I'm looking forward to the following chapters and seeing how all thats going on comes to a climax. Keep'em comin' hon. (Hugs) Taarpa