The Sacrificial Boy : Chapter 13

Printer-friendly version
The Sacrificial Boy

by:
Elsbeth

Aislin learns that all choices in life come with consequences

Sorceress.jpg

Chapter 13

Plodding through halls of stone, the shadow creature known as Prince Scáit wondered if things could get any worse. All of those century-old plans thwarted by a wisp of a girl, who seemed so powerless at first but now seemed so terrifying.

Still, he would wait to have all the time in the world. Eventually, even the strongest made mistakes. For example, Aislin made her first of what most likely would be many, right after the ceremony.

For centuries, Dubh Caisleáin had been the solid black stone fortress with no way to enter. Now, all sorts of window-like openings have appeared. Some large, some small, all allowing the wind and sun into the black halls of Dubh Caisleáin. In its state now, it would offer little protection from the wind, much less enemies from the outside.

The creature, forced into cat form for the time being, with its head on a window ledge, looked out over the swamp. “Still, it feels good to feel the wind on one's face.”

Growling, the former elemental Prince made his way down several more passageways. This last decision by hers, however, was intolerable.

Aislin stood in front of the tall mirror, studying her reflection. The mirror no longer reflected the half-person who entered Dubh Caisleáin a few days ago. As if a dream, she had somehow matured into the woman she was supposed to be. Full breasts, wide hips, pointing down to a very female mound; she had finally blossomed.

Even with all of the knowledge she now possessed, Aislin still didn’t know if the magic had changed or repaired her body. Although she had some ideas, there were still too many questions left unanswered. However, taking a better look at her reflection once more, the new Sorceress had a feeling that perhaps it had been for her protection after all.

Although if it had been an enchantment, a powerful one at that, with its intent to keep her from harm, it had done quite the opposite. Still, troubled by the existence or non-existence of such an enchantment served no purpose. As the new owner of Dubh Caisleáin, there were too many other things to worry about.

Sighing, Aislin turned to face the shadow creature as it quietly slipped into the room. Since their battle of wills and his binding, Aislin always knew the Prince’s exact location.

“Scáith, do you need something of me?”

Moving into the room, the shadow feline suddenly stopped as his new mistress clothed herself in a long black dress. The outfit itself, although beautiful, did not impress Scáith, but the fabric caught his attention. Spirit silk now adorned the new Sorceress, more protective than steel but light as a breath.

“Why?” The creature growled. “Such a thing is unheard of, how do you expect us to live in Dubh Caisleáin without their help or are we going to move back to that little hovel I found you in?”

As Aislin looked down, Scáith backed up, unable to look into the eyes of the Sorceress.

“Keeping all of the spirits and elementals bound in permanent servitude you mean, no, that was not something I would do.”

“But all of them? The Keep cannot run without their magic.”

Although the Prince had said all of them, that was not true. Besides the Prince, dozens of terrible spirits were bound to the very walls of Dubh Caisleáin. All of them sealed into stone forms; they would be the last defense before the Keep was overrun. Aislin didn’t know if she could use such creatures, but she wasn’t going to just release them back into the world.

“The Keep will be fine, but don’t be too concerned, not all of the elementals returned home. The Salamanders appear quite happy to remain.”

“Of course…lazy brutes, but what about me?” Scáith growled, looking into the eyes on his mistress. “You seem to have forgotten to release me from this so-called permanent servitude.”

Aislin laughed, not surprised that the beast didn’t care about the others, even the ones forced into stone. It only cared for its own release. “You, my dear Prince, are an exception.”

The creature curled up on the floor, annoyed. Every Thaumaturgist he had ever known bound the elementals after a summoning. Unbelievably Aislin had summoned two powerful water spirits from the swamp earlier in the day. Without the use of a circle, she forced her will upon them, asking them to drench the center of the castle with water. Afterward, she simply released them.

With the arrival of a female Gnome who entered the room unannounced, the Prince became even more confused.

“Your Majesty, how are these?” The small woman smiled, displaying to Aislin a small bouquet of summer flowers.

“Lovely, Garnet, do you think the others will mind if we add these to the other decorations?”

Scáith growled in surprise. “Why are you here? Didn’t she free you?”

The Gnome named Garnet gave the shadow creature a look, telling him exactly how she felt about him, and then turned away, setting the flowers in a vase.

“It’s my home, why would I want to leave?”

Smiling, she finished with the flowers before giving a small curtsy. “If there is nothing else your Majesty, I will attend to my other duties.”

The Sorceress smiled warmly. “Thank you, Garnet.”

Watching the Gnome vanish into the walls, Aislin said. “They still insist on calling me, your Majesty. All right, I am heading off to the library unless you need me for anything else.”

As the long days of summer passed, those who continue to dwell inside the black castle of Dubh Caisleáin could usually find Aislin floating high in the air, in the castle’s library.

Connected by dozens of archways with centuries of knowledge covering its high walls, scholars from all over the realm would have been beside themselves if they only knew such a library still existed.

From bronze tables from the earliest city-states to the scrolls from the Sorceress’ time to the books now written; all could be found inside. Even the hundreds of manuscripts of Amar, thought to have been lost during the siege that destroyed the great city-state, had been partially recovered.

To the shadow creature’s disgust, the new Sorceress appeared to be simply doing nothing but reading and creating a garden in the center of the castle.

Liadan never sat still, always meeting with this warlord or that captain. The only things Aislin spoke to were Gnomes and Sylphs, the foolish who choose to remain with the new Sorceress instead of being free. She appeared to be doing nothing; the shadow creature didn’t understand. For one with so much power, not to use it seemed wasteful.

Curling up against the cold floor, of all the things, had taken place since Aislin took control of the Keep, Scáith couldn’t understand why Gorgas remained. The powerful earth elemental, almost as powerful as himself, had been brought forth from the Spirit Realm to create Dubh Caisleáin.

“Why didn’t you leave?” He growled, like all of the other elementals and spirits in the Keep the powerful Gnome bond had been one of the first to be removed.

“Why I like my books.” The Gnome didn’t look up from scanning pages faster than any mortal creature.

“You’ve changed.” The shadow creature said in disgust.

The Gnome laughed. “You haven’t.”

Stepping away, Gorgas called up into the ceiling. “Your Majesty, I believe I have found the quatrains in question.”

From high in the air, Aislin slowly floated downwards to land next to the Gnomish Prince. “Don’t tell me we actually have a copy of the Quoins prophesies?”

“Indeed, look at this one and this one as well.”

“Interesting, that does answer a few questions, I think.”

“How does it answer any questions, Aislin. The human was obviously insane.”

Scáith remembered the old Black Sorceress speaking to her sister about the same shadow prophesies. From what he remembered the words were nothing more than gibberish. Then again, not surprising, many mortals who spent too much time delving into the Spirit Realm lost their minds.

Ignoring the beast, she continued. “Excellent Gorgas, I think we need to look at the writings of both the seers Degaru and Lyria as well.” Aislin stood, tapping a finger to her lips.

“More nonsense,” the shadow creature grumbled. What could studying the writing of two more mad Seers help any?

”Unfortunately, Gorgas, if you could find me the Dánmhara Book of Lies, I need to compare a few things.” Aislin hated the book; bound in human flesh; its contents gave a peek into the darker side of magic.

At that moment, three Sylphs appeared at Aislin’s side. The new Sorceress eyes blazed as she passed the half-asleep creature, before commanding. “Scáith to me.”

The shadow creature jumped up, startled, following Aislin out of the castle.

--0--

Elyria closed her eyes and smiled, enjoying the warmth of the sun, knowing that it would be for the last time. Answering a call from the Lord of their village, Verities of the Red, so-called Guardians of Truth had arrived in the village. Now standing in the hot sun, a dozen of them proselytized the evils of magic. Once they were finished with the ceremony, she would die.

As a young child, she told her mother that she had seen Sprites playing in the rye fields. Elyria could still remember the beating she got at the hands of her mother for saying such a thing, even if it had been true.

Since that incident, Elyria kept such sightings to herself. She gave no indication to anyone that she might possess the Black Curse, as it was called. Instead, Elyria became the perfect child of the village; blending in, not standing out.

Upon receiving the first blooms of womanhood, she felt the first touch of real power, and it appeared to be her last. Elyria and her best friend Heloise had been walking along the road, holding a bucket of milk in their hands. So intent on their discussion, they didn’t hear the horse and rider until it was too late. The Knight didn’t even stop as he rode over her friend.

As Heloise lay all broken, Elyria rushed to her side. Upon touching her friend, the young girl felt a rush of power. Witnesses spoke of a soft white glow covering both girls and that the wounds seemed to close by themselves. Although Heloise still had long months of healing ahead, her friend’s life had been saved, unfortunately, at the cost of her own.

Elyria looked over at her friend’s parents; they didn’t seem to enjoy the ceremony, nor did they join in the screaming and incriminations that the others had done, including her own mother. She didn’t mind if they had objected Heloise might also be joining her. Elyria wouldn’t want that.

Sitting in chains in the center of the town square, people she knew all her life, even some of her cousins had accused her of all sorts of evils to the Guardians. From the death of several infants, harvests, to even a broken plow, it had all been blamed on Elyria.

“At least it’s a beautiful day.” The young girl said to no one in particular but thought it odd that so many Sprites came to watch her last hours. “Perhaps when I die, I'll become a Sylph.”

According to her mother, she wouldn’t be welcomed in the halls of her father, so the idea brought a small amount of happiness.

As two of the red-robed Guardians dragged her to the post sitting in the center of the village, she began to shake. With the chains wrapped around her body, a senior member of the group with long white hair, known as a Justiciar, ordered the villagers to place the bundles of wood around her.

When Heloise’s parents dropped the last stack, Elyria managed to give them a brave smile, but her courage broke when her mother agreed to light the pyre. However, the flames never came.

Scáith had no idea where they were going, unhappy at having Aislin riding him as if he were a horse. At first, he thought they were going back to her grandmother, but Aislin only said it wasn’t time yet. Instead, the two of them flew south.

Once made of up three powerful kingdoms, the lands below them had broken up over the years. Now there were dozens of small baronies, kingdoms, and duchies.

As they continued to pass by small farms and villages, the creature could feel Aislin’s power behind him, moving him along the currents of the air quicker than possible. Suddenly, without saying anything, Aislin slipped off his back. Like a rock, she plummeted to the ground. Growling, the shadow creature banked and followed her down.

To Elyria, the world suddenly exploded. The wood, flames all of it suddenly vanished thrown high into the air, or into the faces of the villagers. As if a great wind picked them up, anyone who stood suddenly found themselves thrown to the ground.

The young girl looked up in wonder at a vision that would be with her for the rest of her life. A beautiful woman with midnight black hair, dressed in a gown of the same color, stood in the circle of destruction.

For a moment, Elyria felt afraid until the beautiful woman looked down at her and gave her a warm smile. Reaching over, Elyria felt the touch of power as the iron chains simply crumbled to dust. Before Elyria could ask the woman who she was, the Justiciar stood up, pulling a long-handled mace from his belt.

“How dare you interfere with the cleansing, who are you?”

Holding the young girl by the hand, Aislin stood up straight, daring the man to approach. Turning other guardians who were drawing weapons, she said. “The wild men of the south called me Bubhbá¡s. The sea warriors call me Crnviatica. Your fathers called me Noir Sorciare.”

Those villagers who were struggling to rise gasped at the name; however, the white-haired Justiciar laughed. “Preposterous, kill her, and the girl.” He commanded.

Suddenly, as if confirming her answer, a massive beast came out of the sky, the force of its wings turning over carts, scattering peoples an animals. It's challenging roar shattered any thoughts of attacking the one who named herself the Black Sorceress as everyone, including the Guardians fled for their lives.

up
280 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The Sacrificial Boy : Chapter 13

Great chapter...glad to see it continue

++++++++++++
Cartman: A fine day of plundering we had boys. What about yourselves? Here you are lads, plenty of booty to go around. A round of grog for me boys. A round of grog for everyone!

Thanks!!

Elsbeth's picture

Thank you Grog, happy your liking the story.

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

cool!!!!

Pamreed's picture

A wonderful fantasy!!! But isn't her grandmother worried!!

A wonderful fantasy

Elsbeth's picture

Thank you, Im happy your liking the story. Yes, she would be but we will be seeing them a little later.

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Aislin is no longer a boy.

And has come into her power. But she isn't cruel, rather stern about some things, but not needlessly cruel. Nice.

Maggie

Aislin is no longer a boy.

Elsbeth's picture

Very true, and she has things she has to whether they make her happy or not. I'm glad your liking the story Maggie.

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Looks like Aislin just seriously put on her mantel.

She just claimed publicly who she is now.

Doctor Who: "You want weapons? We're in a library. Books are the best weapon in the world. This room's the greatest arsenal we could have. Arm yourself!"

Yeah she's wasting time reading:)
Great Chapter Elsbeth.
*Great Big Hugs*

Bailey Summers

You want weapons?

I loved the quote, Bailey and it is very appropriate. Scath does have his uses, but it would be wise to keep him on a very short leash. As far as she revealing herself as the Sorceress, I'm thinking this is a continuance of her ancestress's plans. The studying of the old books and prophecies is a big clue she has some clue as to what is happening.

So wonderful to see more of this!
hugs
Grover

You want weapons?

Elsbeth's picture

Exactly, to the shadow creature, sitting about reading is inactivity but knowledge used in just the right moment can be as deadly as a blade. I'm pleased your liking the story Bailey, thanks for reading.

*hugs*

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Earlier this evening, I said to myself its been awhile since...

Earlier this evening, I said to myself its been a while since a new chapter of the Sacrifical Boy had been posted. Then much to my very delighted surprise I refreshed the BCTS home page to find this new chapter posted. That was great timing on your part Elsbeth. Ofcourse I had to read it before heading for to get myself some much needed beauty sleep. I look forward to the next chapter. Thank you Elsbeth for giving me a little something fun to dream about tonight.

Hugs,
Tamara Jeanne

The Sacrificial Boy

Elsbeth's picture

Thanks Tamara, well ill be sure to post the next one a little earlier so everyone can get enough sleep :) Thanks for reading.

Hugs

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Aislin is showing Scáth and

everybody that she Rules! Maybe he will learn from her saving Elyria.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Why take on the Black Sorceress mantel at all?

She is a sorceress, sure, but she could do without the bad press, I would say, and establish herself the 'good' sister to Liadan did. To instill fear? To define herself thus brings certain elements to her banner, elements who may have less than savory reps. OTOH she can destroy them if they ever do come if necessary and allow the more positive forces to take over.

Dunno, from a political perspective, and even in fantasy there is politics, this is an interesting move to make.

Finally, it will be interesting how her village and loved ones will react. People are notoriously fickle about any extreme changes to ones life.

Kim

Political perspective

Elsbeth's picture

Your absolutely correct, its all about politics. Also, remember Aislin comes from the north where the stories of the Sorceress are a little harsher than the rest of the realm. As for her friends and family, well yes they are in for a big surprise, so we shall see how they deal with it.

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Black Sorceress mantle....hum?

344px-Coleman_220F_Lantern.jpg

Well a Coleman mantle would be too small and awfully hot.

Oh ... MANTEL.

Sorry, had to get that put of my system. Have a dental appointment later today.

I have some guesses. For one she lives in the dreaded castle so why fight it?

Second, she appears to be the legitimate heiress to the Black Sorceress bloodline. AND just maybe she is doing it -- other than the prophesy -- to contrast herself with the so-called forces of good.

These *Truth* guys who go around condemning magical healers -- and other blasphemers I assume - and burning them at the stake! Even have a sizable part of the locals conned into believing they are doing good or at least afraid not to oppose them.

IE: It is as if she is saying... I embrace the name of a so called great evil yet I do acts of great compassion and charity. Yet the people under the banner of piety and goodness kill, terrorize and punish those who use magic to heal ... all to Purify the land or whatever crap they claim.

How better to expose the pompous and truly evil by turning convention on its head?

A thought.
BTW I doubt if that nasty spirit she has NOT release will get the better of her as nearly all the spirits in that castle now voluntarily work for her as free entities and seem to revere her if not actually worship her.

So BIGGIE: What is the prophesy she is looking for that is so odd even that demon spirit thinks what bits he heard was gibberish from insane people?

Um, what if the demon/spirit was eventually set free but freed trapped in the form of a woman? He seems to look down on them as worthless, well looks down on nearly every one.

Could even this twisted soul be redeemed?

I like the bit with Ailin and the powerful Earth spirit looking through all those old books and scrolls. Knowledge IS power.

Know they enemy and all that.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Well that brings up the entire subject

... of what do those freed spirits get out of helping her. Is there a relationship between mortals and those spirits that there be a good reason for them to cooperate. If the land get savaged by these invaders how does that affect the elementals and gnomes etc?

Mortals I suspect can do things and tap into forces elementals cannot, as elementals can only use instinctual magic.

Kim

I would venture a guess that

I would venture a guess that what they are getting is .. familiar surroundings, while no longer being forced to serve. Remember that the gnome said that it was 'home'.

The earth elemental said he likes having access to books (and such), so why should he leave?


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

A mantle is a cloak or other

A mantle is a cloak or other 'wrapping' around the shoulders. A mantel is the ledge most often found over a fireplace. Coleman lanterns use 'mantles' which are cloth, wrapped around the 'shoulder' of the gas pipe.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

mantle is correct

As I did choose the wrong spelling as in this context it is the mantle of power she is assuming.

Kim

You Say 'Tomato', I say 'Tomato'

Elsbeth's picture

Unfortunately the Guardians don't see themselves as evil, they are performing a service to those who live in the Southlands. A duty that they believe is necessary. History is of course filled with such groups who time and time again force their own beliefs on someone else with the tip of a sword. Being different, as Aislin understands quite well could lead to a very short life.

Well hear a little more about what she is looking for in the books soon.

Thanks for reading, I'm glad your liking my little tale.

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Just brilliant!

I've only just discovered this story and it is truly excellent :) Although have you thought of labeling this section (and onwards-please!) as the start of a second installment/book in the series? It just seems to me that as the 'discovery' phase of Aislin's tale is done it should be more formally recognised.

Keep up the good work!
Kyrlan

Kyrlan

Elsbeth's picture

Thank you very much, I'm happy your liking the story.

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

the Black Sorceress?

this could be trouble ....

DogSig.png

another excellent chapter

I have been waiting for this one and was not disappointed.

It appears that she has learned much from the prophecies. And I think that Scath has a lot to learn about choice and freedom. In the end, I wonder if he too will be converted to her service by choice.

I am enjoying Aislin's journey of self-discovery. I think in the way she has redefined the castle shows that she has gone well beyond her original destiny. After all, one can only see so far when free will is involved.

I love that you are carrying me spellbound forward into each new chapter.

Bright Blessings,
Cassie Ellen

Scath

Elsbeth's picture

Your correct, Scath doesn't understand the reasons why the other elementals are working for Aislin, doubt he ever will. Yes, Aislin has put a touch of herself into the Castle and how she moves and reacts to those in the world are also a product of the people who raised her. Lets say she has more of a gentle touch but is pushed the gloves will most assuredly come off.

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Excelent Chapter

Good to see the evil men getting their due.
But, she may have just increased persecution against magical people.

From the sounds of it, she

From the sounds of it, she couldn't increase the persecution. Not when they're going to burn a child at the stake for healing another - rather than staking the knight that would ride over a child.


I'll get a life when it's proven and substantiated to be better than what I'm currently experiencing.

Increase the persecution

Elsbeth's picture

Remember, although some families are willing to throw a child who is different to the streets, there are just as many who would protect the same child unto death. What she did might just give them something that is as strong as steel - hope

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Great to see another chapter

Jemima Tychonaut's picture

Great to see another chapter of this story. :-)



"Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."

Thanks!!

Elsbeth's picture

Thanks! happy your liking the story. Dont worry you wont have to wait long for another one. RL kept getting in the way with writing the last chapter and I really wanted to finish 'Pixies Honor'

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

From such meager beginnings.......

Aislin's certainly blossomed into a remarkable & powerful woman with a just heart. I just hope that the power doesn't seduce her to the darkside! Nice Elsbeth, keep'em comin' hon. (Hugs) Taarpa