Destiny: Legacy of a Spellbinder Part 2

Printer-friendly version
Destiny: Legacy of a Spellbinder

Ragarnok Rising III

by:

Daniela A. Wolfe

The final battle swiftly approaches and it has been given to me to complete a task so monumental that it may be the sole means by which the Jotun can be defeated. All of Midgard and the goddesses themselves depend on me. Am I up to the task, or will I fail and doom the entirety of human existence to total annihilation?

bryn.jpg

0_c.gif

+ - + - + - +

0_c.gif
The following rant is brought to you by the demented mind of Daniela A. Wolfe

Well it's finally here! This is the final story in the Ragnarok Rising trilogy. As such if you haven't read Incompatible or the revised version Transfigured I would recommend doing so before reading any further. This story is the final one in the series and as such it won't make much sense unless you read the first two.

I've posted a glossary of terms (including the days/months and their English equivalents) to go along with these stories, it can be found at Bigcloset Topshelf, Fictionmania, & tgstorytime.

Shout outs go to the following people: Beyogi, Maggie Finson, Loki who served as either alpha and/or beta readers, The Rev. Anam Chara who helped edit some of the dialogue (spoken by the characters Hervor, Heime & Gilda) to more accurately reflect Elizabethan era English and last but certainly not least Holly H Hart for her superb editing prowess.
0_c.gif

+ - + - + - +

0_c.gif
Freydag, the third of Morsugur (cont'd)

"Get away from my son," my mother said a faint aura of red energy beginning to form around her fists. Despite being almost sixty she still looked like she was in her early twenties which was to be expected since she was a powerful Spellbinder. My friends all thought my mom was hot, but I didn't see it. I mean she was my mom after all.

"Hey Mom," I muttered. "So, I guess you're wondering how--" I said, but stopped short as she gave me a look that could have boiled solid stone.

"I said get away from my son! Elf!" Mother said rounding on Eva. "Where's Hervor? Where's your queen?"

Eva met my mother's gaze calmly. "I have no queen, I have no people, I am unbound," she muttered her eyes cast down to the floor.

I couldn't have heard that right, Eva was an elf? It didn't make sense, or did it? It would certainly explain almost all of her behavior. She was unbound? What in the name of Sif was that supposed to mean?

Mom's anger seemed to fade away and she seemed a bit taken aback. "What in the name of Hel are you doing here?"

"It is a very long story. Neil is important to me, I think he may be my lifkyn."

Mom eyed Eva warily then her eyes suddenly locked on me. "Goddesses," she said. "I'm too late. Hervor has already gotten to you."

"Hervor?" Eva gasped in horror. "That was Queen Hervor?!"

"I don't know. I haven't seen what you have, but I have reason to believe she was looking for Neil," Mom said between pursed lips.

Mom obviously knew something about this whole mess that I didn't. Which could only mean she had known something like this might happen. It would also explain a lot of her behavior over the years.

"Shit, what the Hel is going on, Mom?" I demanded suddenly.

"Neil! Watch your language!" Mom snapped.

"We will discuss it at home," she added looking to Eva then back to me. "Privately."

"Not without Eva," I said resolutely.

"Oh, she'll be coming with us. I have questions to ask her and I would very much like to know what an unbound elf is doing in New Copenhagen. Especially one that has so much interest in my son."

"Fine," I said glaring at her, "but I want her there when we talk."

"We will see..." she said with a trailing off with a sigh. "It involves your father."

There was a surprise, Mom never talked about my father, even my gramor who was usually very open about nearly everything became very evasive when the subject of my father came up. What was it about him that no one wanted me to know? When I had been younger I had always imagined that my father had died performing some heroic act, but as I grew older I had become more realistic. Mom had never shown any attraction toward men and I long suspected that she had never intended for me to be conceived. The answer to the question that had always been kept from me was dangling in front of my eyes and I wasn't sure I wanted to know.

"She'll be there," I said stubbornly, "or I'll tell her anyway."

Mom didn't look happy at all. "Sometimes I think you are too stubborn for your own good."

"I learned from the best," I responded irritably.

Mom gave me one of her looks, but I guess she decided not to respond. She turned to Eva, "What's your name?"

"Eva."

"Have you ever used a travel spell?"

Eva frowned, "No. I was never very good at controlling air magic."

"Very well, take one another's hands and we'll form a circle. I'll need you to drop your shield once I give you the signal." Mother said kneeling down and taking my hand just as Eva clasped hold of each of our free hands.

"Now!" Mom yelled as the wind began to whip and whirl around us. Eva's shield buckled then disappeared with a flash of light. I felt a strange yet familiar tugging feeling then we all disappeared into the void.
0_c.gif

+ - + - + - +

0_c.gif
Laurdag, the fourth of Morsugur

I never got a chance to finish up my journal entry last night, but after what Eva and I did it's not really much of a surprise, but I'll write about that here in a little bit. Anyway, it's a brand new day and I can't say that the revelations of yesterday sit with me any better than they did Freydag. I was so shocked and frustrated from everything that happened that I hadn't really felt like writing it down. I guess now is as good of a time as any to play catch up.

Shortly after arriving home yesterday Mother announced that she would return shortly then disappeared and left a gust of wind to ripple through my bedroom.

"I-I suppose you aren't very happy with me," Eva said almost as soon as the wind had subsided.

"You think? I mean when were you planning on telling me you were an elf?!" I asked glaring back at her.

Eva closed her eyes and tears started to form in the corner of her eyes. "I was afraid that if you knew what I am, what I once was that you might not want to be with me any longer."

"Why?"

"You wouldn't understand," she said quietly.

"I wouldn't understand? Well, I certainly won't if you don't tell me!"

"I'm unbound. It means I chose to leave my people. I couldn't live with the darkness any longer."

"Eva what darkness?"

Eva's hands began to tremble, "It's not something... You couldn't understand. I used to be--" she hesitated."

"Used to be what?"

"--a dark elf," she continued sobbing hysterically.

Of all the things she might have said that was about the last thing I would have expected. How could she have ever been a dark elf? I'd heard Mom describe them and Eva didn't resemble one in the least. What did it matter? She certainly wasn't a dark elf anymore. I wanted to wrap my arms around her and tell her everything was okay, but I didn't have the strength. Instead, I reached over and grabbed hold of her hand.

"Eva! Listen to me! It doesn't matter who or what you were. It only matters who you chose to be right here and now."

"You still don't understand," she said letting out a deep breathe as she attempted to rein in her tears. "I was sent to kill you."

"W-what?!" I asked staring at her wide-eyed and let my hand fall away.

"You didn't see me, I was cloaked in magic. It was a few weeks before the party where we first danced. I almost did it, I almost killed you. The magic was coursing through me and all I would have need done was summon it."

I remembered that night, it was the night Leif, Ham, and I had taken Sophie out one last time. I'd had a pretty creepy encounter with a sort of invisible presence and I had managed to convince myself that it had all been a figment of imagination. Clearly, I'd been wrong. It had been Eva whose breathe I'd fealty on my throat, it had been Eva that had produced that inhuman wail and scurried away.

"Eva goddesses, why?"

"I-I don't know exactly. I looked into your eyes and I realized what I was about to do was wrong, more than that I saw the wrongness within me. It terrified me and I just ran."

"Eva... I don't even know what to say. This is just so much to process."

"Maybe it would be best if I left. I don't know how you can even look at me," she said and started for the door, but before she had made it halfway it swung open and in stepped Mom followed closely by the blond woman from the mall.

"Neil," Mom said stopping mid-stride. "What's wrong?"

The blond woman smiled, cocked her head and said something in a strange tongue.

Eva stumbled backward, looking as if she had been slapped, "Not long ago I wouldn't have hesitated to kill you, light elf."

"Thou hast forsaken the darkness within thy heart. Murder is no longer thy way," the strange woman said with an odd gleam in her eyes.

"Hervor, what on Midgard is going on here?" Mom demanded rounding on the blond woman.

Holy Frigg the blond woman really was Hervor, the queen of light elves! What was she doing here and what interest did she have in me?

"Ask the girl, Seidkona. It is for her to tell," Hervor replied with a tired sigh.

Mom's eyes locked on Eva and she folded her arms across her chest. "Tell me."

Eva sank to her knees and she started to sob again. "I-I used to be a dark elf."

"What? How is that even possible?" Mom asked staring at her with wide eyes.

"Elves are not as humans. When darkness enters within it be reflected without. When light pierces the darkness and shines upon the soul, change be wrought upon the body just as it is the spirit," Hervor muttered with that weird gleam in her eyes again.

"So what she's a light elf now?" I asked.

"Nay, child. She is unbound. She hath chosen not to dwell among my people," Hervor said with a sad smile.

"I-I should leave," Eva said coming to stand on shaky knees. "After what I was, after what I've done I was a fool to think Neil would want to be with me."

"Nay, I cannot allow it child," Hervor said moving to block Eva's path.

"Move light elf!" Eva screamed.

"I think not! Thou knowest not what be at stake."

"What's going on here? " A new voice asked from the doorway and a familiar face pushed its way into the bedroom. It was Daniella, my... Well I'm not really sure exactly what I'd call her, but she was my mother's partner of almost twenty years so that had to count for something. Especially since in many ways, she has been every bit the mother to me as Mom.

"Neil!" she exclaimed as she saw me laying in bed and came running to fling her arms around me. There was a familiar tingle as I felt her magic wash over me and I could see the worry in her eyes as she broke away.

"Oh goddesses," she said her eyes growing wide. "Neil, no, not you too!"

"Would someone please explain to me what's going on?! First, I get attacked by the queen of the crenking light elves in the mall. Then I find out my girlfriend used to be a dark elf who was sent to kill me. What the Hel has got the elves so scared of me?"

"Eva was sent to kill you?" Mom asked suddenly rounding on Eva, who withered under her gaze.

"I don't know why the fá³lkhagi wanted him dead. I was just a low-level assassin with barely the enough power to match a human spellbinder." Eva said her voice barely more than a whisper.

"And what about Hervor? What was that about?"

"I intended thee no harm. Half thy blood is álfar, I merely caused that thy Elven side dominate and that the magic awaken within thee."

"Okay, I couldn't have heard that right. I'm a half-elf?" I replied letting out a long sigh.

"It's true Neil. Heime, Hervor's son is your father," Mom said scowling at Hervor.

Holy frizz! I wasn't just a half-elf I was royalty, the grandchild of the queen herself! It was couldn't be true, it didn't make any frizzing sense. Then I felt a cold chill tickle down my spine as the rest of Hervor's statement set in. "You awakened the magic in me?" I asked filling dread fill me as I realized just what it meant.

"Aye, child," Hervor said softly.

"Oh frizzing Hel. I'm going to change into a damn girl. What gives you the right?!"

"'Twas necessary," she said matter-of-factly.

"Why!? What possible reason could there be!?"

Hervor shook her head, "To ensure the survival of our peoples against the coming of Ragnarok and the final battle. Surely, that be reason enough!"

Ragnarok? I thought she was frizzing nuts, but when I looked to Mom and Daniella I was met with looks that only served to confirm the elf queen's pronouncement.

"That's crazy talk! Ragnarok? I mean come on, get real!"

"Hath he not been told?" Hervor said rounding on my mother.

"No, Hervor I didn't tell him. I knew that you and Frigg had something big planned for him. The very least I could do for my son was allow him to have a normal life until the time came!" Mom retorted.

"The time is come, Seidkona. The truth cannot be kept from him any longer," Hervor said with a weary sigh.

"Well, I don't really have much choice, now do I?"

"Mom, this is freaking me out. Just tell me it's not true. Ragnarok can't be coming," I muttered feeling a sense of panic and dread come over me.

"It is coming, Neil. I'm sorry I kept it from you. I just hope you won't be angry with me once you learn the truth. I think it's best if I told you the story from the very beginning," she said. "It all started before my transformation..."

Mom went on to tell the story of when she was working as a security guard back before she became a woman she stumbled onto something she shouldn't have and wound up getting attacked. If her magic hadn't awakened to protect her, thus killing her attacker she probably would have died.

I'm obviously not going to tell the whole story here, but after a long series of events Mom found herself transformed into a woman, and named our ancestor Athilda's apprentice. She wound up incurring a debt to Hervor in the process which is how my conception came about, but I'll explain that here in a little bit.

Well, it's pretty complicated, but Mom along with her then lover, Penelope, wound up getting abducted by none other than Claudia de Clission, the daughter of Jeane de Clisson, the woman Mom had killed when her magic awoke. Claudia attempted to invade my mother's mind, but it didn't work out very well for her as Penelope intervened and prevented her from turning my mother into her slave.

Penelope had been working for Claudia the whole time, but only because the De Clisson woman had been keeping her younger sister, Marion, hostage. Long story short, both Penelope and Claudia wound up dead. Athilda showed up and helped Mom rescue Marion then took Mom and the young girl back to the estates.

After they had returned safely, Athilda told Mom her concerning her suspicions that Ragnarok was coming. Not long after that Mom was visited by the Goddess Frigg who then confirmed that Ragnarok was coming and more importantly that it could be stopped. Frigg enlisted Mother's aid and set her upon the task of finding a means to halt Ragnarok.

She explained that it had been her that had caused the magic to come awake within Mom, and that my mother would be instrumental in the fight against the Jotun. She also said that if they played their cards right there would be another 'who could very well save our existence.'

She also insisted that whatever happened, Mom must fulfill the debt to Hervor. I know it sounds weird, and even knowing what came of that debt I still can't figure out why it was so important.

As for the whole debacle with the De Clissons, with Claudia dead, the Seidskati decided to keep her betrayal a secret from the world. Athilda didn't trust anyone within the council so she had elected to keep her knowledge concerning the coming of Ragnarok secret from her fellow council members and convinced them their actions had been nothing more than a grab for power. While the Seidskati did investigate the remaining members of the family, they weren't able to confirm any involvement.

My gramor, wound up adopting Marion and they all grew pretty close, even Athilda. About five years into her apprenticeship, Mom discovered that Athilda was dying from Leukemia. Shortly after this discovery Mom would complete her apprenticeship and go on to become a full Spellbinder.

But that's only half the story, the rest of it wouldn't take place until a year after Mom's ascension to full Spellbinder. By them, Mom had managed to accumulate a surprising amount of power. Athilda, having grown increasingly ill from her cancer, stepped down as Head of House le Fey and named Mom acting head in her place. Naturally, her rise to power at such a young age hadn't made her very popular among her own house or even among the Seidskati. Everything she did was an uphill battle against overwhelming odds, and to tell the truth not much has changed in all these years.

It was about then that Daniella pitched in and together they wove the rest of the story. Like Mom, Daniella had begun life as a man, but her transformation had been brought about by entirely different means.

Daniella told the story of how she was abducted by the mad Doctor Mengele who was convinced that he could give men the ability to use magic by means of his formula, and it worked... sort of.

He had created his original formula years before and he was so eager to try it out that he tested it on himself. The formula did grant him the use of magic, but he also started to transform into a woman and he got stuck midway. While the magic had extended Mengele's life considerably, continued use ironically was slowly killing him. Both Mom and Daniella seemed to believe that his condition may also have contributed to if not caused his madness. Whatever the case, he spent years trying to perfect his formula and when he thought he might have finally perfected it he tested it on Daniella and a handful of others.

This was all in the days when the Men's rights movement was at its most violent and Mom was working with the Task Force Against domestic terrorism to track down the leader of the 'Sons of Odin', a man by the name of Jonas Talman. Together, they raided his compound which happened to be the same place Daniella was being held, but discovered that Talman was already gone.

The raid wasn't entirely unsuccessful, they did manage to capture Nicholas Flint, one of Talman's lieutenants and found evidence of Mengele's experimentation. Mengele escaped, and took Daniella with him, but he did leave his other victims behind, all of whom died, but not before Mom discovered that magic had somehow woken within them.

Flint was a war hero, and Mom believed him to be a good man despite his involvement with the Sons of Odin, so she made him an offer, freedom in exchange for his help in averting Ragnarok. Naturally, he was pretty skeptical, but he would eventually come around. He told Mom about Mengele, but still refused to reveal information about Talman.

Mom left him to mull things over, and went to see if she could track down Mengele. Heime showed up to settle the debt owed to Hervor and that's where my conception comes into play. It's pretty screwed up, but Hervor sent her son to knock my mom up. Yeah, it makes me shudder just thinking about it.

"Frizz lady, do you have any idea how messed up that is?!" I said unable to keep my silence any longer.

"You have no idea," Mom muttered with a shake of her head and a very slight shudder.

"What was done, was done out of necessity, Seidkona."

"Here's an idea. Why don't you tell us why!?" I spat.

"Alas I cannot. The time is not yet right."

"For a people who are suppose to be incapable of lying you sure know how to withhold the truth," I spat bitterly.

"I think I'm beginning to understand now why I was sent to kill Neil," Eva put in.

"How can we trust you? Knowing what you used to be?" Mom asked glaring down at Eva.

"I would never hurt him. I'm no longer capable of the things I once was," Eva muttered her voice barely more than a whisper.

"If the girl speaks so, it be the truth. She is no longer capable of deceit," Hervor added.

"We can trust her Mom. I've been meeting her for months and never once has she tried to kill me," I said.

Mom nodded, "I'm putting my trust in my son's judgment, but if you hurt him I swear to the goddesses you'll regret it."

Eva paled visibly and nodded in understanding. "I would never hurt him, not so long as I live. I swear it."

"Good," Daniella put in folding her arms across her chest.

"So... what happened next? I mean if I'm supposed to be involved in all this Ragnarok business I should probably know what I'll be dealing with."

"Yes, it's probably a good idea. After, fulfilling Hervor's debt, I went looking for information..."

Mom told how she learned of Menegele's whereabouts from a dwarf named Brokk in exchange for a piece of land which the family owned on álfheim and an agreement that the dvergar would make weapons for the army she was soon to raise.

About that time, Flint had just been visited by Frigg who offered him a deal. In exchange for his help averting Ragnarok, Frigg would see to it that the playing field between the sexes would be leveled. Not long after that, he would be rescued from prison by an irritable Kobold named Crystal, who had been sent by the Frigg in order to lead him to Mengele's hideout.

Well anyway, outside the abandoned apple distillery where Mengele was hiding, Mom met up with two other Spellbinders, Agnes Bernauers and Elizabeth Bathory. Believing that Elizabeth was a traitor in cahoots with the Jotun, Mom had invited them both in the hopes that she would be able to ferret out the truth. After an intensive search of the compound they found the room where the partially transformed Daniella was being kept, but apparently no Mengele. After they freed Daniella, Mengele made his appearance and inadvertently revealed the identity of the traitor in the process. It wasn't Elizabeth it was Agnes, or at least a dark elf sorceress masquerading as her.

The dark elf quickly overwhelmed Elizabeth and had nearly managed to defeat Mom, when Flint showed up and took her out with a single bullet to the head. When all was said and done, Elizabeth was brought into the loop as was Flint and they both decided to join the fight. As for Daniella, well that was a bit more complicated. Like Mengele, Daniella was trapped in a form that was half-male and half-female, but Mom believed she might be able to either reverse or complete the changes. She was hopeful, that Daniella would chose to become female and join her in the fight against the Jotun. Daniella, wasn't convinced, but after a visit from the Goddess Frigg she decided to accept Mom's offer.

Daniella agreed to complete the changes at Frigg's hand. Daniella was in love with my mother and she impulsively kissed Mom who panicked and rejected her. It didn't exactly help things along when Athilda died. Mom let the grief overcome her for a while, but eventually she came to realize that she had feelings for Daniella.

Mom took Daniella as an apprentice, and over the next few months their romance bloomed into what it is now. By the time I was born they had pretty much become inseparable.

Over the years, Flint has been working behind the scenes and has apparently managed to amass a pretty impressive army. Of course, a standing army would draw far too much attention, but Flint's experience with the Sons of Odin had provided the answer. Members of the army were organized into cells of no more than a dozen men. Each cell would hide inside a much larger organization and wait for the coming of Ragnarok. When the time came they would utilize the resources of those organizations to mobilize and fight the Jotun. It wasn't the perfect solution, but it was the only choice available if they didn't wish to reveal themselves and tip their hands.

It was almost too much to believe, but I couldn't deny the truth not when it was my mother telling me and certainly not with Hervor and Daniella to confirm everything. I wasn't sure what to think of it all, not only because the magnitude of it all, but because I had been deceived by the people I loved. Even Eva had withheld the truth from me and I felt betrayed. I'd kept my calm through the whole story, but now that it was laid out before me, I could feel the panic set in.

I'd long suspected Mom had never planned for me to be born, but the revelation that my birth had come about through Hervor's machinations was downright disturbing. Ragnarok was coming and I had a part to play in the upcoming battle. The worst part was that I really didn't think I had any choice. I don't think I could live with myself if through my inaction I wound up dooming all of humanity.

As scary as all that was, it all took a back seat to the dread I was feeling about being transformed into a girl. I was a guy and wanted to stay that way. The thought of becoming a girl was terrifying. I was a guy dammit!

"Get out!" I yelled feeling suddenly very angry.

"Neil--" Mom started but I cut her short.

"No Mom! I don't want to hear it! You've been lying to me my whole life and worse still I find out I'm going to change into a frizzing girl! I need some time alone... please."

"Okay," she said with a soft sigh. "I owe you that much at least."

Everyone quickly piled out of the room until only Hervor remained. She walked quietly up to my bed and gently place her hand on my cheek. Warmth flooded through me and I felt strength return to me as the dizziness faded away.

"On the morrow thy transfiguration beginneth. Today marketh thy final day as a lad. Use thy time wisely. Now I take my leave of thee. Fare thee well grandchild," she said with a sad smile then she stalked out of the room without another word.

Shit, talk about rubbing salt in a wound! The woman had a lot of nerve even talking to me. I didn't want to be a girl, but Hervor didn't seem to give a frizzing damn. I think I really I hate that fucking bitch.
0_c.gif

+ - + - + - +

0_c.gif
I loved the gardens, they were so peaceful and best of all Mom almost always avoided them. Gramor said it was because they reminded her of Athilda. I needed time alone and the gardens really were the best place to isolate myself.

I plopped down on the nearest bench and closed my eyes. My life had just taken a very weird turn and I hated that I had been lied too, but really that was just a small reason for why I was angry. I was going to turn into a frizzing chick and I hadn't even been given any choice in the matter. I felt like I'd been stabbed in the back and I knew things between my family and me would never be the same. Then there was Eva, she hadn't exactly lied to me, but she had withheld the truth. The revelation that she used to be a dark elf was freaky as Hel and it made me squirm just thinking about it.

"May I sit?" a familiar voice asked.

My eyes flew open and I looked up to find Eva standing over me with puffy eyes and trembling lips.

"I-I guess," I muttered not really sure if I wanted her around or not.

We sat there for a while, neither one of us talking. Eva opened her mouth several times as if to speak, but each time she would let out a soft sigh and her mouth would clamp shut.

"Eva, why didn't you tell me?" I blurted out suddenly.

"I wanted to, but I was so afraid of how you might react."

"Shit Eva, you had to know I'd find out eventually."

"All this is so foreign to me, Neil. Before we met all I knew anger and hatred. Now there are a whole slew of emotions I can feel and it's overwhelming. If there's one thing you can be sure of know that I love you and I always will," she touching my cheek with her open palm.

"I guess I hadn't really thought about it from your perspective. This must all be so confusing for you," I muttered clasping my hand around hers.

She nodded, "There is so much I don't understand. Humans are so different from dark elves."

"Eva what made you change? I mean I know what you said about seeing the evil inside of you, but there has to be more to it than that."

Eva sighed and bowed her head, "It was the catalyst. I don't know if I could really say it was any one thing. After I ran from you, I found one of those places you humans create that are suppose to resemble a forest."

I didn't understand what Eva was trying to say then it hit me and I almost laughed, "You mean a park?"

Eva nodded and continued, "There were children playing and one of them, a small boy, fell and hurt himself. He started to cry and a woman, perhaps his mother, began to comfort him. There was something so beautiful about the way she held the child and whispered in his ear that really hit me. I spent several days in that park, and I witnessed so many things. A couple sharing a kiss and whispering sweet somethings to each other, a family enjoying one another's company, and a man confessing his love to woman. I just changed. It didn't happen all at once it was a gradual process."

"I don't know why exactly, but after my change I became obsessed with you. I returned to the place where I tried to kill you in hopes that I would find you again. It took me a few days, but find you I did. I spent the next few weeks following you around. Then one night I followed you into the party and you asked me to dance. I didn't know what dancing was, but I would have said yes to anything you had asked of me."

"That explains some things," I muttered. Eva was a horrible dancer, I'd just never had the heart to tell her.

Eva cocked her head and smiled sadly, "Thank you for asking me to dance."

It took me a moment for her statement to really settle, "Elves don't say thanks."

"No, but humans do and I wanted you to understand how much it meant to me."

"Odin's bones it must have been hard for you. I mean you gave up everything you knew."

"It's not hard, not when I'm with you."

"Eva what did you mean when you said you thought I was your lifkyn?"

"Humans have a term with a similar meaning. I think you call it a soul mate. It means Neil... that I love you," she said as single tear rolled down her cheek.

Whatever doubts I had about Eva faded away with that statement. She may have been a dark elf once, but really that didn't matter to me. I admit the fact she was sent to kill me did make me a bit squeamish, but I believed her when she said she loved me. The amazing part was that I think I felt the same way.

"Eva... I think I love you too," I said quietly.

She smiled and we sat there and stared into each other eyes for a long time.

"Come on it's getting late, we probably better get inside," I muttered taking her hand and led her back into the estates.
0_c.gif

+ - + - + - +

0_c.gif
Holy frizz yesterday took up a lot of pages in this journal. I'm going to run out of space if I keep up this pace. I'm sure Gramor, at least, will be happy to see me using this thing.

I woke up really early this morning to find Eva naked beside me on the bed. She was already awake and smiling at me. Neither one of us had intended for it to happen, but when we returned to my room I could hardly keep my hands off her.

I leaned in to kiss her, but before our lips locked I felt bile rise in my throat. I hurriedly, flung myself aside and sperged all over the side of my bed. Eva quickly dressed and left to find something to clean up the floor.

A woman with long blond hair entered the room just a few minutes later. "Hey, kiddo," she said with a sad smile on her face.

The woman was my aunt Marion,who, like my mother, was a breathtakingly beautiful woman. Yeah, that Marion, the one who was rescued by my mother after the death of her sister all those years ago.

"Aunt Mare," I groaned as my stomach continued to writhe in agony. "Mom's told you everything?"

"I know enough," she said a dark look passing across her face which faded away within seconds. "I'd be surprised if she's told either of us everything. That woman has more secrets than the CNIA."

"Marion, I know about Penelope," I muttered averting my eyes.

"Should have figured she'd tell you about that. I had to find out about it from your grandmother. I spent most my life believing a lie about my own sister."

"Marion, I'm sure Mom--"

"Don't do it Neil, don't defend her. She should have told me just like she should have told you about your father."

"Marion, if you knew I was a half-elf... I mean why didn't you tell me?"

"That is something that should really come from your mother. You don't know how many times I tried to convince her to tell you, but the woman is too damned mule-headed to listen to reason. I know she's been a woman for twenty-five years, but she still acts like such a man sometimes."

"But enough about that. How are you feeling?" she asked.

"Like I'm going to frizzing explode."

"I can imagine," she said dryly. "Your mother asked me to come by and see how you were doing."

"There's not anything you can do about this, is there?" I asked her hopefully. Marion was a powerful spirit mage and a doctor of some renown. Even Mom couldn't match her power when it came to Spirit magic.

Marion gave me a thoughtful frown. "Sorry, kiddo. If there was any way I knew of I'd do it in a heartbeat."

"Now let's clean up this mess," she said staring down at the puddle of my puke. She closed her eyes for a few seconds and a shimmering sheet of spirit energy seemed to appear under the puke. The spirit energy rose up from the carpet, shaped itself into a bowl which she picked up as it reformed into a ball.

"Cool," I said. "Kinda gross, but cool."

"Who says you have to be a Spellbinder to get vomit out of carpet," Marion said giving me one of her lopsided grins and a wink as she dropped the spirit-ball in the garbage and let its energy collapse.

"Now," she said. "Let's have a look-see shall we?"

She bent down and lightly touched me on the forehead. A few seconds later her eyes snapped open and she gasped. "Dang kid, you're body is in for some major overhauls. I've never felt anything quite like it. Since I doubt you'll be able to keep anything down, I'd like to put you on an intravenous drip to help replace some of the fluids and nutrients your body is consuming."

"An intro-venous what?" I asked staring at her in confusion.

"Intravenous drip. It is a somewhat unconventional new therapy, where fluids are injected directly into the bloodstream. It's quite ingenious actually and surprisingly cost-effective."

I wasn't sure exactly what to think of my aunt's suggestion, but I nodded in spite of my doubts. Fluids injected into the blood? It sounded almost barbaric.

"Neil--" Eva said appearing the doorway with a bundle of rags in her arms and a glass of water. "Oh," she said with a surprised expression. "You have a visitor."

Marion smiled, "My name is Dr. Marion Valemont, I'm Neil's aunt. You're a light elf aren't you?"

Eva shook her head and looked down at the floor, "I-I am unbound, I do not have a people. I am Eva."

"Neil and I are together," my girlfriend said suddenly practically throwing the glass of water in my face and splashing it all over the front of my shirt.

"Easy," I said taking the glass and began to drink the remaining water inside.

"When did he take your virginity? From the way you are limping. I'd say quite recently," Marion said with a toothy grin.

The water in my mouth shot out like a fountain and I started coughing uncontrollably. "What the Frigg kind of question is that!" I exclaimed.

Marion laughed. She laughed! What the Hel was so funny about that? Sometimes Marion could be so embarrassing. "Okay, okay," she said. "Maybe that was a bit of a personal question."

"You think?" I asked irritably.

My aunt sighed and shook her head, "Well kiddo, I need to get to the hospital. I'll talk to your mother and see about treatment options before I leave."

"Okay," I muttered, "Just uh don't tell Mom about that whole virginity thing."

My aunt started laughing then ducked out of the room without giving me an answer.
0_c.gif

+ - + - + - +

0_c.gif
I grabbed at my stomach and felt the world spin madly around me. I lurched and limped across the hallway and just barely made it into the bathroom before throwing up. I stared breathlessly at the red-brown sludge that had just come spewing out of my throat. With trembling hands I stumbled over to the sink and cranked the dial on the faucet to full blast. I let the sink fill with ice-cold water and then splashed it onto my face and stood there panting heavily. It didn't take an idiot to figure out that the goop I had just sperlged up was. It was tissue my body had discarded as part of the transformation process.

I looked up at the mirror and shuddered, I looked gaunt, sickly even. I knew I had to have lost a good fifteen pounds of weight at least and I couldn't be too sure, but I thought I might be an inch or two shorter. This was the first-trip to the bathroom today and I couldn't help but notice the changes which had come over me. What little facial hair I had been able to grow had fallen out, and my face was beginning to look younger. It was now extremely painful to walk and I might be imagining it but I could swear my hips had a slight curve to them. A rash had started to form on my chest around each nipple which more than likely meant I'd begin growing breasts soon. My previous blond hair had fallen out and had started coming in the same dark auburn as my mother's hair.

Another wave of dizziness washed over me and I braced myself against the counter until it subsided. It was then that it really settled in that I was going to change into a girl and I could barely stand the thought of it. I just stood there and cried as I thought about what had been done to me. What gave Hervor the frizzing right?! I forced back my tears as I felt the anger flood through me. I wasn't going to let anyone see me this way, especially Hervor. She wouldn't get the satisfaction.

I took one last look at myself in the mirror and gulped at the very sight of me. I didn't look much different than I had before I hit puberty, but there was softness about my features that had never been there before. I might have even looked like a girl with the right haircut. I was still male for the time being, but how long till my equipment was gone? I shuddered at the thought of having a vagina and breasts then quickly washed my hands and staggered back to my bedroom.

I had expected Mother, Gramor (where was my grandmother anyway?) or even Daniella to pop in at any moment, but they had yet to show and I was beginning to wonder what was up. I gingerly lay down on my bed beside the sleeping form of Eva and flicked on my teleprojector.

A realistic image of Mom appeared standing in front of my bed. At first I thought she had appeared in my room via travel spell, but realized that the image was being produced by the teleprojector and I felt dread fill me as I saw an image of me replace it.

"...the New Copenhagen shopping center last evening. Little information has been released regarding the incident, but witnesses claim to have witnessed some sort of confrontation between two unidentified females and one Neil Steinburg that ended in one of those involved erecting a spirit shield. Later reports claim that Aryanna le Fey, the controversial head of the Spellbinder house arrived on the scene only to vanish with her son mere moments later.," a voice said. A man in a gray suit replaced the image of me in front of my bed.

The anchorman didn't seem to know much more, thank the goddesses for that. I was afraid what might happen if people found out about my transformation or that I was the grandchild of Hervor. Half-elves were rare enough, but it was unheard of for a member of the royal elven family to mingle with humans.

I was about turn the teleprojector off when it suddenly started to buzz and I let out a sigh as I realized there was an incoming call. I flicked the button on the remote to see who was calling, it was my friend Leif. I clicked another button on the remote and Leif's huge disembodied head appeared hovering in front of my bed.

"Holy frizz, Venn! Are you trying to scare me to death with that ugly mug of yours?"

Leif's massive head grinned and let out a chuckle. Suddenly, his head shrunk down to proper size and the rest of his body appeared. Leif had probably stuck his face right in front of his telecam just so he could give me a scare. "Relax, venn. I'm just calling 'cause I saw the news."

"Yeah, I just got done watching it."

"Me too. Look, is everything okay? I mean you're not hurt or anything are you?"

"Well it depends on what you mean by hurt," I muttered bitterly.

Leif opened his mouth to speak, but I stopped him short, "Things are just sort of complicated. I've learned some things and they suck some major ass. Things aren't ever going to be the same for me."

"Ah, venn that sucks. I'd come over, but Mom's pretty eager to get me married off. I have damned date with this uggo from House Bathory. Who schedules a date at eleven in the morning on a Vordag? Shit, I really hope that this girl doesn't want to bargain for me. I was kinda hoping the girl Mom would force me to marry would be a little hotter."

"That's alright venn, I understand."

"You don't know how lucky you are man," Leif spat out with a jealous look.

Leif knew that my mother had no intention of forcing me to marry anyone and usually didn't have any problem voicing his jealousy. Lucky? If only he knew about the transformation I was going through, he probably wouldn't be jealous then. I wasn't going to say anything over the teleprojector, Leif was smart enough to know that. Teleprojector communications were far too easily intercepted, if someone were listening in, anything I let slip would be all over the news within minutes.

"You have no idea," I spat ironically.

"Hey, have you heard from Sophie, lately?" Leif asked suddenly apparently oblivious of my sarcasm.

"No, I left her a message a few days ago, but she hasn't called back," I replied. It had been a few months since Sophie moved away and we'd been keep in touch with her by teleprojector. Neither one of us had heard from her in a few weeks and we were both getting worried.

"She left a message on my machine. It sounding like she was crying... I've tried calling her back, but no answer."

"Sophie crying?"

"Yeah, it kind of freaked me out when I heard it. I hope everything is okay."

"If I hear anything I'll call you."

"Alright, well I really ought to go, venn. Hope things are okay," he muttered scratching the back of his head.

"Later, venn."

"Later."
0_c.gif

+ - + - + - +

0_c.gif
Well, the next part is an excerpt from my mother's journal. Don't worry, I'll be back soon enough.

Laurdag 4. Morsugur

"Lady Aryanna," the tiny pixie said with a bow of her head after she flew through my window and came to land on my dresser. "It is an honor."

I looked the tiny vattir over and smiled, "To what do I owe the pleasure? It has been years since I was visited by one of the wee folk."

The pixie shook her head and her small bird-like wings twitched, "I was sent as an emissary by the Gray Queen to offer the aid of the faekyn in the coming battle of Ragnarok."

I looked down at the pixie thoughtfully, and wondered what had prompted the Gray Queen to seek an alliance with me. Like elves, fairies were incapable of lying, so I had no doubts about the authenticity of the pixie's message, but it was certainly an odd move for the notoriously independent fairies to make. The Gray Queen was one of the most enigmatic and mysterious vattir that I knew of and that was saying something. I'd never heard of her involving herself in matters of humans or goddesses, but I supposed it really wasn't that surprising. The Jotun would likely turn theirs eyes to other vattir once they'd taken care of the goddesses and humans.

"I would gladly accept any aid the faekyn would be willing to offer," I smiled down at the tiny creature.

"The Gray Queen will be most pleased," the pixie beam up at me.

The faery's wings extended and she suddenly leapt up into the air and took off.

"Wait!" I called after her.

The pixie landed gracefully on the windowsill and turned back to me.

"How can I contact the Gray Queen?"

"One does not contact the Gray Queen, she contacts you," she responded with an amused grin on her face just before launching herself through the window.
0_c.gif

+ - + - + - +

0_c.gif
"Aryanna, something is wro--" Daniella's voice drifted into my room with a gust of wind and suddenly cut short.

I leapt to my feet, sprang through the doorway, shot down the hallway and found Daniella holding a shield of spirit energy against a collapsing wall.

Once I got close enough I could feel magic pounding into the outside of the wall. I had powerful wards set around the entire estates, and I would have known instantly if someone brushed the wall with even the tiniest bit of magic. Clearly someone had found a way around my wards, I reached deep inside myself and latched onto that familiar well of energy I found there and began to weave a web of spirit energy around Daniella's shield to reinforce it, but by then it was already to late. Her barrier flew apart, her eyes rolled into the back of her head and she collapsed. I was barely able to pull her away as the wall came crashing down around us.

Men came pouring into the gap and I just barely managed to finish raising my spirit shield as they opened fire. Bullets exploded against the shimmering wall of blue light and fell harmlessly to the ground. I sent a wave of fire magic through the hole and the attackers fell screaming to the ground as they were engulfed by the fiery torrent.

A bright white light clashed against my shield and I felt my knees buckle against a sudden strain. A very familiar face appeared in the hole in the wall and I let out a long string of curses. It was Claramae, one of my cousins who had long resented my placement as head of House Le Fey.

"Clara, what the Hel do you think you're doing?"

"Something I should have done a long time ago," she said with a growl and leapt at me with a fist-full of bright white light pouring from her hands.

I blocked her blows easily enough and sent her tumbling back through the hole with a massive gust of wind. I followed her through the gap in the wall and fell to my knees as I was bombarded on either side by bright ribbons of fire magic. If it hadn't been for my shield I would have been dead, as it was I was just barely able to hold onto my barrier against the fiery onslaught. I couldn't make out the figures on either side, but I knew that one of them was most likely Clara. From the amount of magic they were channeling that they were both Spellbinders and I knew I had no chance of overcoming them alone.

"Frigg preserve me," I muttered between clenched teeth as I strained to keep hold of the shield.

Abruptly, there was a gust of wind and the threads of fire suddenly stopped. I tilted my head to either side and found that my attackers had simply vanished. My mother, Brigit, was standing there above me with a triumphant smile on her face. Her sudden appearance seemed to have scared my attackers off.

"You'll never believe what Eitri had for me."

I looked up at my mother and burst into nervous laughter,

"Goddesses? Aryanna what happened here?"

0_c.gifcont.png0_c.gif

Comments, no matter how short, are very much appreciated. If you liked this story please take a minute to leave a review. Criticism is welcome, but only when presented in a constructive and positive manner.

up
97 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Never

under estimate good old fashion greed and ambition that surfaces at exactly at the wrong time. Just as certain, there's more than likely is someone whispering words of discontent into willing ears. No doubt politics and strange bedfellows will show their faces soon!

I was kinda worried the whole 'bile' thing was because of kissing Eva, but realized it was only the 'change' beginning. Whew!

hugs
Grover

PS: I love the alternate world thing with Stanley Steamers. :)

Oh you have no idea

Daniela Wolfe's picture

Oh, just wait and see. I've got (what I think) are a few shocking twists in upcoming chapters. ;]

Thanks, one of my favorite parts of writing a story is world building, and I tried to make this one very different from ours.


Have delightfully devious day,

And so the demented madness continues to swirl...

Around the family as they are attacked from within. We're only two chapters in and things are already getting dicey... I approve! xD

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Dicey

Daniela Wolfe's picture

It's dicey and it will only get dicier!

I'm glad it meets your approval. :P


Have delightfully devious day,

How come?

I really love this story so far. How come you haven't received more comments for this?

Please don't get discouraged this is good stuff.

Couldn't tell you...

Daniela Wolfe's picture

I honestly don't know.

Thanks for your comment.


Have delightfully devious day,

If this was an RPG I'd be making a character:)

I'm a long time DM/GM so if you get that then you know what it means for us to have a world we'd actually like to be a player in:)
Really enjoying this:)
*Big Hugs*
Bailey.

Bailey Summers

DM/GM?

Daniela Wolfe's picture

Thanks! Consider me flattered!

My experience with roleplaying is pretty well nonexistent so I had to google DM/GM to figure out what you meant. Thankfully, once I saw it was short for Dungeonmaster/gamemaster I instantly understood.


Have delightfully devious day,

Spellbinders & Ragnarok sure

Spellbinders & Ragnarok sure do seem to morph boys into girls. Are only females able to be Spellbinders? What powers do Elves, Pixies and Dwarfs have?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Only females

Daniela Wolfe's picture

Only females are able to be magic users of any sort. Spellbinders are simply the most powerful of the human sort.

Elves don't really have powers that are much different from humans, their ability to use magic is simply more powerful. The weakest among elven magic users are close in power to Spellbinders. Dwarves have a different sort of power that's only hinted at in the story, but I'd rather not go to in depth at this time. Pixies and faeries powers have magic, but it differs a bit. The story doesn't even mention this, but I have some vague ideas for future stories that would be very faery centric.


Have delightfully devious day,

Is the reason...

That magic is female only because almost if not all the male gods have gone extinct? If I recall my Norse mythology rightly, the male Aesir were quite capable of magic, as were many other male beings of Norse legend.

Especially Loki. Who is supposedly still hanging about in your alternate history. Considering the sort of mischief and treachery he got up to in the original mythos one does wonder what part he's playing in this one...

Of course... Loki is not truly Aesir... Is he aware of that fact at this time in your mythos? Or is that even still true of your mythos? And if he is aware of it... Which side is he "presently" batting for? He traded back and forth so many times in the original mythos...

Abigail Drew.

Can't really say

Daniela Wolfe's picture

All this will be explained in coming chapters. My mythos is different and there'll be explanation for that (well at least some of the differences).


Have delightfully devious day,