Destiny: Legacy of a Spellbinder Part 8

Printer-friendly version
Destiny: Legacy of a Spellbinder

Ragarnok Rising III

by:

Daniela A. Wolfe

The final battle swiftly approaches and it has been given to me to complete a task so monumental that it may be the sole means by which the Jotun can be defeated. All of Midgard and the goddesses themselves depend on me. Am I up to the task, or will I fail and doom the entirety of human existence to total annihilation?

bryn.jpg

0_c.gif

+ - + - + - +

0_c.gif
Author's Note:

I've posted a glossary of terms (including the days/months and their English equivalents) to go along with these stories, it can be found at Bigcloset Topshelf, Fictionmania, & tgstorytime.

Shout outs go to the following people: Beyogi, Maggie Finson, Loki who served as either alpha and/or beta readers, The Rev. Anam Chara who helped edit some of the dialogue (spoken by the characters Hervor, Heime & Gilda) to more accurately reflect Elizabethan era English and last but certainly not least Holly H Hart for her superb editing prowess.

Okay, the last couple parts ended on sad notes. This one starts out with Bryn feeling quite depressed, but the ending won't be quite so difficult on our protagonist.

0_c.gif

+ - + - + - +

0_c.gif
Vordag, the twenty-ninth of Morsugur

All this death and destruction… What is it all for? So many people have died and for what? Aunt Marion, Sophie, the people of New Copenhagen, Vá¡gburg, and all the dead from the convention center. How many more will before this is all over? Are humans as a race doomed to repeat the same mistakes over and over? Will we ever learn that death is not the way? And yet I'm not fully human, so where does that leave me?

I think I've figured out what my purpose is. When I go to free the dead gods from Helheim, I don't think I'll be returning. I think that maybe I'm meant to sacrifice myself so that Odin and the others may return from the grave. It's a terrifying thought, but if it means saving humanity, maybe it will be worth it… Then again, maybe not. Maybe we're not worth saving. I just hope that if I am supposed to die that it'll be quick.

I'm so angry right now, I hate what's been done to me. I hate that Marion and Sophie are dead. I hate that the horrible things that the Sons of Odin have done. I hate that people are dying, and I hate my inability to do anything about it! I have so much anger that I don't know where to direct it. I need to do something, dammit! I need to let this anger go, but I can't! I just want things to go back to the way they were before I met Hervor in the mall.

Eva's the only reason I've stayed sane. When she and I are together, I don't feel so angry, and I think that maybe just maybe I'll live through Ragnarok. I don't know how many times we've had sex since she returned, but it's been a lot. Sex as a woman feels good, not really better per se, but good nonetheless.

There so much more to tell, but I don't really feel like writing. Maybe I'll play catch up later. It's about time for my lesson with Hervor anyway…
0_c.gif

+ - + - + - +

0_c.gif
Freydag, the first of Thorri

Well, I'm feeling a little better about life now… Sophie's death was just too much, and for a while I could hardly keep myself together. I still can't believe she's gone. I hadn't seen her for months, and then bam suddenly she's just dead.

Well, I guess I'll catch up on everything that's happened so far…

The Sons of Odin have attacked another city. This time it was New Jorvá­k that got hit. The attack destroyed a major portion of the city, but thanks in large part to the efforts of Theodora and several members of her house, much of the city was saved. They realized what was happening at the last moment and were able to raise several spirit barriers to protect as much as the populace as they could. Maybe we aren't as helpless against the Sons of Odin's attacks as I once thought.

Mom, got together with her old friends from the Task Force Against Domestic Terrorism and they raided the compound where Sam said Sophie was being kept. The Sons of Odin had pretty well cleared the place out, but they did find Sophie's body scattered among some other corpses. I'm just glad I didn't have to see it. It's bad enough that I already have the image of Marion's dead eyes floating around in my head.

Mom still has Sam locked up in a circle of imprisonment. Not because she's necessarily a danger to the rest of us, but because Sam keeps trying to kill herself. She's been pretty cooperative about providing Mom information, but most of what she knew hasn't been that helpful. Mom's probed her mind several times and she's convinced that Sam is genuinely repentant about her involvement with the Sons of Odin. Eva's actually spent a lot of time with her. If anyone understands what she's been through Eva does.

Sam's physical appearance isn't quite what it was when she was first captured. She had a sort of illusion cast over her. She still resembles her sister, but she doesn't have her sister's over-sized nose, and just like Mengele, her hair is auburn. Mom says that anyone who's been given the formula will likely have auburn hair once they've finished their transformation. Mom actually thinks she may have found a way to detect those who have been transformed by the formula, and she strongly suspects that my blood holds the key.

The exiled elves have taken up residence above the bunker where the ruins of the estates now stand. Mom offered to let some of them stay down below with us, as there's a lot of empty room, but they refused, claiming that they dislike enclosed spaces. That is probably just as well. The few encounters that Hervor and Heime have had with them have been downright icy. I've tried asking Hervor, Heime and Garik why the exiled elves dislike the light elves so much, but each refuses to speak of it. Eva's no help, as she's just as confused by it as I am.

More and more exiled elves have joined those at the encampment. At the moment they number in the tens of thousands and their numbers keep on growing. Of the four main tribes, the mountain elves are the only ones who have yet to join. Eva mentioned that the fellá¡lfar are 'slow thinking like the mountains they named themselves after'. I don't understand entirely why, but Eva burst into hysterical fits of laughter after making that statement. Elven humor is so strange.

My training is going pretty well, and since Eva's joined our training sessions I'm learning new ways of fighting. Eva and I are both around the same size and she knows quite a lot about fighting much larger opponents. Her fighting style is much different than what I'm accustomed to, but it's not particularly suited for fighting with a warhammer so on top of everything else I'm now learning to fight with throwing knives and my bare hands.

And then there's Garik. Since he kissed me, things between him and me have been tense. I'm attracted to him, and we both know it. Leif and Eva have picked up on it too, and all three of them have been really competitive. I may be attracted to all three of them, but my heart belongs to Eva. I just wish they'd all realize that so I could have some frizzing peace.

I think that's about it for now… I wish I could say I've had direct involvement in everything that's going on, but the truth is I've been sitting here along the sidelines twiddling my thumbs… I just feel like I should be doing something, but Mom insists that I should stay out of danger until it's time for my mission into Helheim.
0_c.gif

+ - + - + - +

0_c.gif
Laurdag, the second of Thorri

Just got back from Sophie's funeral. I can't stop crying. Marion's death was hard, but losing Sophie such a short time after Marion is harder still. How many more friends and family members will I lose before this is all over? I can't stand the thought of losing anyone else. I think I'd even be upset if I lost Heime. As for Hervor… well I don't really know how I'd react if she were to bite the dust.

Mom and the other members of the Seidskati have figured out how to track people transformed by Mengele's formula. It's all pretty complicated, but Mom was right when she said my blood held the key. The amount of magic required is staggering, but the number of magic users who are actively implementing the wards to track Menegele's pawns are just as amazing.

Hopefully, we can stop that monster, I can't stand the thought of what she's done with my blood, but if I'm going to be honest with myself, which my elven side pretty much guarantees, then I'll have to admit that the main reason I'm so eager to catch her is because of what she did to Sophie.
0_c.gif

+ - + - + - +

0_c.gif
I kind of stopped short with my last entry there. Mom stopped by to talk with me and I didn't have time to finish it off. I really didn't have much to more to say, but I do now.

I heard a knock at the door and I hurried to finish my last sentence before hopping to my feet and leaping at the door. Mom was on the other side and I could tell by the look on her face that she was there to tell me something big.

"May I come in?" she asked.

I nodded and winced as I watched my mother step hesitantly inside the small room.

"We need to talk," she said quietly as she turned to close the door behind her.

"What is it? Is it bad news?"

"Not of the sort you're likely expecting," Mom said locking eyes with me.

I eyed her warily, "What is it then?"

"I've been talking with Hervor. Things on Midgard are only going to get worse before they get better and it's not safe for you here."

I stared at my mother and winced. I had a feeling I knew what was coming next and sure enough she confirmed my fears when she spoke. "Hervor has agreed to take you to álfheim where you'll be safe."

I stared at Mom for a few minutes then I slowly started to shake my head, "No, Mom I don't know what Hervor told you, but please don't do this. I want to stay right here. I need to be a part of the fight against the Sons of Odin. The things they've done… I don't want to just sit along the sidelines and watch as the world goes to hel."

"I've already made my decision. Pack your things you'll be leaving in two days."

"No, Mom. Please…" I pleaded.

"Bryn," she said reaching out to touch my face. "I'm sorry for everything. I'm sorry I never told you about your father. I'm sorry for the deaths you've had to witness, and I'm sorry for the way in which Hervor and Frigg have manipulated you. You are more precious to me than all the world. I just want to keep you safe for as long as I am able. It's too dangerous here on Midgard. You're meant for great things I just want to ensure that you live long enough for you to fulfill your destiny."

"What does it matter? I'm probably going to die anyway!" I spat back. I didn't intend to say it, but the words were out of my mouth, and the damage was already done.

"Oh, Bryn!" Mom said and wrapped her arms around me. "Is that what you think?"

I tried to hold back the tears, but it was like someone had opened the floodgates and I couldn't keep them back. "What am I supposed to think?"

"Bryn," Mom said pulling away and locking her eyes with mine. "You're not going to die! You hear me? I'll descend into the depths of Helheim, if that's what it takes, but I won't let you die."

"Mom I… I just want everything to go back the way it was before. I hate being a girl. I hate what the Sons of Odin are doing. I just want my life back."

"I know, I wish I could give it to you, but we don't have that luxury."

"Just please… Mom don't make me go. I need to be here. I need to be a part of it all. After the way Marion died and what Mengele did to Sophie I…"

"No Bryn. It's not safe. You are going. I'm sorry, but it's for your own good. I want you to promise me that you'll go with Hervor without any fuss."

I did it without thinking. I hadn't exactly made a habit of it, but like all teenagers I'd made my fair share of false promises to my mother. "I promise," I said and felt my heart sink as felt something click in the back of my head. I'd just made a promise and I was pretty sure that my elven side wasn't going to let me break it no matter how much I tried.

It seemed almost a contradiction really, I could make a promise fully intending to break it, yet I couldn't lie. It didn't make sense. Wouldn't my inability to lie prevent me from making that promise? Yet, by speaking the promise, I'd bound myself and pretty well assured that the promise couldn't be broken. So by speaking it, I had in fact, turned a lie into a truth. It was a real puzzler. Boy, being a half-elf sure can be complicated sometimes.

"You tricked me," I growled at my mother.

Mom smiled sadly, "I didn't want to, but I knew it was the only way to keep you from doing something bullheaded."

"What makes you think I would have done something bullheaded?!" I spat back angrily.

"Because I know you. I know how you think, because I was just like you at that age," she said touching my cheek.

I turned my back on my mother and moved as far away from her as I possibly could within the confines of the tiny room, "I know you think you're protecting me, but with everything that's happened I deserve to choose."

"You're right, you should be able to chose, but you're not seeing the whole picture. If you die before you're supposed to go into Helheim, what then?"

"I-I don't know."

Mom nodded, "I can't risk losing you, Bryn. Please understand, you are my child. I don't want anything to happen to you."

"I know…" I said quietly.
0_c.gif

+ - + - + - +

0_c.gif
Manadag, the fourth of Thorri

Well… I'm never going to make another promise if I can help it. I can't even think of trying to run off without feeling all itchy… Okay, that's probably not the right word, but I don't know exactly how to explain it. Anytime I think of going against my promise I get all antsy and that feeling doesn't go away until I turn my thoughts to something else. Usually, I wait until the last minute to pack when traveling, but I kept getting this nagging feeling like maybe I should get my bags ready, and whenever I tried to resist, that itchy feeling popped into my head and made me want to scream. So I finally gave in and got everything ready yesterday.

I hate this. I don't want to go, but I'm stuck making all these preparations because of a promise. Me and my stupid frizzing mouth, if I'd just kept it shut I would be able to find a way out of it, but all I can do is grin and bear it.

It's about time to head out. I don't know if I'll be able to write anything for a few days. Somehow I doubt I'll be able to write much traveling up the root of the world tree. I don't know what it is, but my stomach kind of hurts. I hope I'm not getting sick. Gah! I’d better go, there's that damn itching again.
0_c.gif

+ - + - + - +

0_c.gif
Eirdag, the fifth of Thorri

I'm not really sure if it's Eirdag or not… There's really no way to tell up here in the heavens… Yeah, that's right I said, ‘heavens.’ Traversing the roots of the world tree is definitely an experience, which is how I got to be here in the first place…

It was early in the morning when we left the bunker, I don't know the exact time, but it was somewhere around seven in the morning. Mom, Daniella, Gramor, Eva, Leif, Heime, Hervor were all there when we left, but there was one other person I was surprised to find in our party and that was: Sam.

"I guess I'm coming with you," she muttered, staring at the floor and looking like someone who was ready to crawl out of her own skin.

"Mom?" I asked looking to my mother for answers.

Mom let out a long sigh and shook her head, "I've been trying to protect Sam from fellow members of the Seidskati. They're convinced if they probe her mind deep enough that they can find something of use."

"And that's a bad thing?" I asked.

"If they probe too deeply, they'll kill her," Mom responded. folding her arms across her chest with an ever so slight frown.

"That be the least of what I deserve," Sam muttered, quietly meeting my gaze for the first time. I shuddered and quickly looked away. Never had I seen such a haunted look in another person's eyes.

I wondered briefly why my mother seemed so intent on trying to help Sam after everything she had done. If it hadn't been for Sam's poor choices in joining the Sons of Odin, Sophie would still be alive. I didn't know if I could forgive Sam for that.

"Remember what we discussed," Mom said, putting a reassuring hand on Sam's shoulder.

Okay… Yeah, I'm not really sure what that was about and I really didn't get a chance to ask, since Mom spoke first.

"Everyone ready?"

"What about Flint?" I asked her suddenly.

"I need him here. Heime is more than capable of completing your training," Mom replied, placing a reassuring hand on my shoulder.

I actually felt a little sad about that, which kind of surprised me, even though Flint wasn't exactly the easiest person to get along with. "Tell him goodbye for me, would you?"

Mom's eyes widening in surprise, but she nodded. "Sure."

"Let's get going then," I muttered quietly. I wasn't exactly looking forward to my trip, but I wanted it to be over with, and I couldn't do that by standing around.

"Join thy hands together," Hervor said suddenly.

Gradually we each complied, I clasped hands with Eva on my right and Heime on my left. Finally after we had all joined together, I felt Hervor grasp hold of her magic and summon up a travel spell. There were two types of travel spells: the type used by most humans and weaker vattir, and the type Hervor and other powerful vattir used. The former utilized air magic, while the latter required that the user combine all five magical elements into a single spell, and the weave was probably the most complex I'd ever seen. It required the user have a greater well of energy than a wind-based travel spell, but strangely, it actually used less energy.

Blinding bright light filled my vision and suddenly we were there standing out in the cold of the arctic. It was daytime, which wasn't really surprising, as sun stays up something like six months at the North Pole.

"There are wards set all around the root that prevent travel spells being used once you get a few hundred yards in," Mom said with a sad smile

I tugged at my spell-enhanced coat and turned to my mother, who had a thoughtful expression on her face. "Is this where we say goodbye?"

"In a moment. There's still something Aryanna needs to do before we get to that," Daniella replied quietly.

"Where's the root? I mean, shouldn't we be able to see it from here?" Leif asked abruptly.

"Thou shalt gaze upon the root soon enough, child. The wards set upon this place also hide the root from prying eyes," Hervor stated, staring at Leif with a blank look. Hervor’s presence through our bond seemed distant. I got the impression that her mind was on other things, but what those things might have been I had no idea.

There was a very slight twinge of nervous fear emanating from Eva and I was pretty sure I knew why. Eva had spent most of her life hating the light elves, and now she was about to begin a journey that would take her to the light elf home world. She had pretty well set her hatred aside, but I think she was worried the light elves would reject her because of her past. I was pretty nervous myself, and for similar reasons. I wasn't sure how I'd be received, I mean, I was Heime's daughter and a member of the royal family, but I was only a half-elf, and I had been raised by a human mother, while completely unaware of my elven heritage. I didn't know the elven language, which would likely only serve to remind the people of just how much of an outsider I really was. I did my best to set my fears in the back of my mind, but despite my best efforts I couldn't keep them completely at bay.

Mom moved over to a rather large snow bank a few yards away, and I saw the soft glow of magic surround her as she summoned up her magic. Abruptly the snow bank disappeared, and a very large multi-passenger vehicle took its place. It looked pretty similar to an old wind car like the one Mom used to keep in the garage at the estates, but instead of tires, it had a sets of treads on either side.

"I've had this thing hidden here for almost fifteen years," Mom explained with a smug grin.

"Yeah, and it was a pain getting the freaking thing out here. I'll be glad to see the thing get some use for a change," Daniella muttered with a shake of her head before motioning everyone inside.

"It's about time we leave then, isn't it?" I asked.

Mom nodded, "Bryn, come here."

I moved over to where Daniella and Mom were standing and wrapped my arms around my mother in a hug.

"Mom," I whispered so that only the two of us could hear. I was still pretty miffed at her for forcing me to go to Alfheim, but I didn't want to leave her on bad terms, since there was a chance I might not see her again, so I swallowed my pride and continued.

"I want you to know that I understand why you kept things from me and why you're sending me to álfheim. I don't know if I would have done the same in your place, but I can't hold it against you. You were trying to protect me, and I really appreciate that. I'm going to miss you, and I love you, Mom."

"Thank you. I really needed to hear that. I love you too, Bryn. Goddesses I'm going to miss you so much," she whispered as we broke away.

I moved over to Daniella and wrapped my arms around her just like I had my mother, but it was Daniella who spoke first. "I know we don't share any blood, but I love you like you were my own child. I'll miss you Bryn."

"I'll miss you too Dan… Mom," I whispered back. There was a startled but pleased look on Daniella's face as we broke away. If anyone deserved being called my mom besides my mother, it was Daniella. She was every bit the mother to me as Mom, even if as she had said we didn't share any blood.

Everyone else said their goodbyes to Mom and Daniella, then we all piled into the wind car and began the first leg of our trip.
0_c.gif

+ - + - + - +

0_c.gif
There was no bright flash of light, or any other indication as we passed through the wards, but when the root of the world tree suddenly materialized in front of our eyes it was a dead give away that we had gone through them.

The root of the Yggdrasil was planted directly in the center of the North Pole, and it reached straight up into the sky as far as the eye could see. It was completely invisible from anywhere else in the world. The powerful wards we had just passed through saw to that. Over the many millennia since the root of the world tree had settled into Midgard, ice sheets had formed up around it and had created a permanent ice-field.

As we drew closer to our destination I could make out the form of a building that had been built up around the root. The building appeared to be made from plain gray stone, but the snow and frost made it difficult to make out any more details.

The drive to the building, or station, as I've come to think of it, was pretty well uneventful. When we arrived, Gramor stopped the wind car, but before we could get out, a figure with a long black beard appeared and motioned for us to continue. Gramor shifted the wind car back into gear and started in toward an entryway that had opened to accommodate our vehicle.

"Well, what haves we here?" A grizzled gray-haired dwarf said appearing to greet us as we climbed out of the wind car.

"Durinn," Hervor said with a tilt of her head. "'Tis good to see thee again."

"Don't yeh worry 'bout that!" the dwarf yelled, suddenly pointing a stubby finger at Leif, who had been working at unloading the wind car. "I'll get me lads teh unload yer windy-merchine."

"Interesting company you be keepin', elf. Haven't ever see yeh travel with anyone but yer son afore," he growled, turning back to Hervor.

"It is as the humans say, strange times make for strange traveling companions," Hervor said with the barest hint of a smile.

"Aye, there's truth in that. Strange times we're livin' in, that's fer sure," the dvergar said, running a hand through his beard.

"Are yeh ready ter go then?" he asked suddenly.

Hervor nodded and produced a small sack cloth that jingled a bit as she handed it over to the dwarf. The dwarf pulled loose the draw strings and peeked inside, nodded with satisfaction, then tucked the bag into his tunic. "Aye that oughts ter cover it then. Yeh knows the way, but I suppose with these humans I proberly oughts to show yehs so they don't wander off."

We followed the dwarf as he hurried down a long corridor, through a large chamber, and down another hallway before finally coming to an abrupt stop in front of a large metal gate. "Through here is the path ter the root. Yer ride be waitin' inside o' there."

"Ride?" Sam asked blankly, speaking for the first time since we'd left the bunker.

Durinn threw his head back and laughed, "How der yeh figure yer goin' to get to Alfheim then? Walk up the root o' the world tree?"

"What exactly are we going to be riding?" Leif put in.

"Yeh'll find out soon enough, lad," the dwarf growled.

"Let's go then," Eva said quietly.

"Once yeh pass through them gates, there'll be no turnin' back," Durinn muttered, scratching at his beard.

"I know. I'm ready."

"Aye, so yeh are lass," the dwarf muttered quietly as he moved to open the gate.

I stepped through the gate as it swung open and didn't look back.
0_c.gif

+ - + - + - +

0_c.gif
I stepped into another long corridor, clenched my fists at my side and kept on walking. Vaguely I sensed the others following, but I paid them no mind. As much as I had resisted going to álfheim, there was a part of me that really wanted to see the home of my father.

Finally, I stepped into what could only be described as a stable. On either side were four huge stalls that were larger than my bedroom in the estates. Despite their size, the stalls were far less remarkable than what they housed. The creatures were massive, had long serpentine scaled bodies, and five pairs of legs.

"Draki!" Eva hissed suddenly.

"Aye, these be dragons," a light voice said from inside one of the stalls. A moment later a short stocky figure emerged from within the nearest stall on my right. She was a female dwarf, and while she wasn't very attractive, there was something very appealing about her calm smile, and blue eyes.

"We're going to ride dragons up the root of the world tree?" Leif asked in disbelief.

"Aye, young lad. Ain't no better means of travelin'. The viddraki were bred for this purpose," she replied.

"Domesticated dragons," Gramor murmured with a shake of her head. "I never thought I'd see the day."

"Was quite the task breedin' them, but it were well worth it. Now is we going to stand 'round and talk, or is we goin' to leave?"

"Aye, let us begone from this place," Heime said irritably. I stared at my father in surprise. I'd never seen him behave in such a way. I don't know if it was the station itself, or if it was something else, but I could tell just by the look on his face that something was bothering him.

"Yeah, I guess it's time to leave."

Sogvor nodded her head in satisfaction then turned back toward the stall and swung the door wide open. "Come on then, Else. We haven't got all day now, do we?"

The dragon inside took a few tentative steps forward and peeked its head out. It stared at me for a moment, then it suddenly rushed at me and before I could even think to leap out of the way it was on me. I closed my eyes and fell to the ground as the dragon's snout hit me in the chest. Something warm and wet slithered across my face and for a moment I thought the dragon was going to sink its teeth into me.

I heard Sogvor let out a throaty laugh. Then I felt myself being lifted to my feet and let my eyes snap back open.

"She likes yeh!" Sogvor said with another laugh. I felt something big brushing again my stomach and when I looked down, I saw that it was the dragon.

"Alright Else, that's enough," Sogvor said sternly.

"As yeh can see I've already gots her saddled up. I still gots ter get Eksel ready, and the Durinn and the others still hasn't brought yer things up," she muttered with a shake of her head, disappearing into another stall.

It took a good twenty minutes before we were finally ready to depart. A pair of dwarves brought up our baggage and helped Sogvor fasten our bags on Else and the second draki still inside the other stall.

"Ready!" Sogvor said appearing from one of the stalls, leading another dragon along with her.

The other two dwarves departed and Sogvor helped each of us climb onto the dragons so we could mount up.

"I hate to be the one to ask the obvious, but who exactly is going to steering these things?" Leif asked as Sogvor was tightening the straps around him.

"I'll be takin' Else's reins, but Eksel ain't be needing anyone ter steer him. He'll follow his sister wherever she goes," Sogvor grumbled.

It took a few minutes to get us all mounted up, but in the end I wound up riding Else along with Gramor, Eva, and of course Sogvor at the reins. Sam, Leif, Heime and Hervor all rode mounted atop Eksel.

So, that's how I found myself riding a ten-legged dragon up the root of the Yggdrasil. The ride was pretty bumpy, seeing as Else used her ten limbs to slide up the trunk. The dragons seemed to be moving slowly, yet we were actually moving at an amazing speed. Hervor explained that it was the magic of the Yggdrasil at work. The distance between worlds was immense, and without the world tree to speed things up it would have taken hundreds of thousands of years.

It was pretty unnerving riding the dragon as it climbed straight up the root of the Yggdrasil, but it was pretty frizzing amazing, too. The view alone was worth all the discomfort, but before we reached the outside of Midgard's atmosphere my stomach started to feel progressively worse. At first I thought that I was sick, but when I shifted my legs I felt something wet and I knew what it was.

"Not now," I groaned.

I felt Eva's hand on my shoulder, "Bryn what's wrong?"

"I think… I'm having my first period," I grumbled.

I could feel the touch of her magic ripple through my body as she called it up to examine me. I felt her power fade away and I could feel sympathy flood through the blood. "This is not going to be a very pleasant ride for you," she muttered, patting her arm on my shoulder.

"Welcome to womanhood," my grandmother added with a sympathetic look of her own.

We didn't stop for several hours, but even then we couldn't dismount from the viddraki, since they were all that were keeping us from plummeting to a gruesome and certain death, which made my predicament all the more unpleasant. Norns, I really hate this body. I tried repeatedly to think of something to keep my mind off of my period, but nothing worked.
0_c.gif

+ - + - + - +

0_c.gif
Partway into the ride I discovered that by closing my eyes and clearing my mind of thought as Hervor had taught me, I was able to forget my discomfort and drifted into a realm of pure relaxation. I don't know how long I stayed like that. It could have been minutes, but at some point I felt a tap on my shoulder. I let out a loud gasp as my eyes flew back open and I turned my head to stare at Eva, "What was that for?"

"Look," was all she said.

And so I did. I strangled another gasp and felt wonder, and awe fill me as I looked. We had left Midgard's atmosphere long before and I had a clear unobstructed view of the stars. They shone much more brightly than they ever had from below, and I could only stare in wonder, as I looked around, noting the sun, and the moon. It was the most beautiful and marvelous sight I had ever beheld. Then, I looked down at Midgard and felt my breath catch in my throat. All the wonder in the heavens paled in comparison to the beauty of the world below. It was a wonder the goddesses weren't moved to tears each time they looked down on the world they had created.

We traveled several more hours after that, and when we finally came to a stop my period was at the back of mind, but not quite forgotten. By then we had crested a 'rise', for lack of a better word and were actually able to get up off the dragons and walk around. Sogvor set up a sort of barrier on either side of the root to prevent anyone from falling over, and we made camp right there out in the heavens. Obviously, we couldn't start a fire, so we ate a meal of cold sandwiches, then set up our beds and everyone except myself drifted off to sleep.

Here I am, writing in my journal sitting on the root of the world tree with Eva's sleeping form cuddled up beside me. Sogvor says that we'll reach álfheim tomorrow. I guess I ought to try and get some sleep. We have a long day of travel tomorrow before we reach our destination.

0_c.gifcont.png0_c.gif

Comments, no matter how short, are very much appreciated. If you liked this story please take a minute to leave a review. Criticism is welcome, but only when presented in a constructive and positive manner.

up
97 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

From catching up to first comment!

I'm really enjoying this, DAW.

Well. As to the contents of this chapter... Wow. A lot has happened. I'm not so sure sending Bryn to Alfheim for her "protection" is the greatest idea since sliced bread. And what's with Heime's irritability? Somethings not quite right...

Abigail Drew.

Thanks!

Daniela Wolfe's picture

Thanks, glad you're enjoying the story thus far.

No, it probably isn't a good idea to send her off to Alfheim, but O have my reasons for it.

As far as Heime's irritability... Is it significant? We'll see.


Have delightfully devious day,

So-

Yggdrasil is a beanstalk? :) Fascinating stuff!

Hugs
Grover

beanstalks

Daniela Wolfe's picture

lol! I suppose that's an apt comparison.


Have delightfully devious day,

D.A.W. I enjoy Ragarnok Rising

and everything that Bryn is going through. But I wonder where Loki is right now. What will he do to thwart Bryn?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

We'll just

Daniela Wolfe's picture

We'll just have to wait to find out, now won't we? ;)


Have delightfully devious day,

Tricked by Momma.

How embarrassing. lol.

Bryn got that other unpleasant surprise too, but the wonder of what she was able to see kind of overrode that didn't it?

Maggie

Indeed it did

Daniela Wolfe's picture

Indeed it did. Of course the meditation helped too ;)


Have delightfully devious day,

Getting close to the end...

An interesting chapter here, D.A.W. I'm liking this one every it bit as much the others. ^_^

Looking forward to seeing how the last few chapters are going to go.

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Danke

Daniela Wolfe's picture

Glad you're enjoying it.

Only four total more parts to go, three of which are quite action packed. The twelfth part does have a little action, but it's mostly to wrap things up.


Have delightfully devious day,