Who are the Real Monsters? Chapter 18

Printer-friendly version
Who are the Real Monsters?

by:
Elsbeth


Ken Umeki will learn that not all monsters come out at night.

miko.jpg

Chapter 18

The room was quiet, several floors beneath the ground. After a nice warm bath and food in my stomach, I was half dozing instead of meditating. With this time to myself I started to reminisce on the months preceding the ritual. It had been less than a year when I was a boy contemplating marriage with a girl I met in Hawaii. Don’t get me wrong; I love Sile however I still thought about Olina from time to time. She was my first love and although fate tore us apart, I knew she will forever be part of me.

Coming to Skogshaven had been a life changing experience for me. For the most part the gender change, although terrible at first, soon turned into a pleasurable experience, which was due in part to Sile’s acceptance of the new me. I still didn’t understand why the thought of being a girl didn’t bother me anymore. Most I think would be terribly unhappy trapped in a body that to the mind and soul was alien to them. I have come to realize that the short time I have spent as a girl, I have been more comfortable with myself. Was this due to the magic that changed me into Kimme or was it something deep inside me that had been hidden?

Even in school, my relationships with others no longer seemed so forced. It was strange coming back to school as Kimme but I wasn’t there as Ken long enough to be more than a passing memory. In no time, something I knew would have happened if I remained Ken, I made numerous friends. However, the close friendship that I have with Rose, Tabitha and especially Agwe I would treasure forever. Besides Olina, there was no one back in Hawaii that would ever come close to how I felt about those three girls. Even my relationship with Aya, Katie and should I say it, my mother seemed more natural.

I understood that my time living in this small New England town was coming to a close. Eventually school would be out, I would graduate and leave for University. My new responsibilities as heir to the Umeki family would most likely take me far away from Skogshaven. Like Olina though, even with all of its strangeness, from green dogs or weird forests, it would forever be a part of me.

With the completion of the ritual, it was understood that a new chapter in my life would open. Magic, something that I only expected to see on stage, was real as the air I breathed. Something told me that I have the ability like my girlfriend to cast spells. One of the things I expected this ritual to do was unlock that potential. Knowing what I know now, I had a sneaking suspicion that my grandmother and mother were Witches. I was truly looking forward to learning from them.

Also with the completion of the ritual, everything would be out in the open. All of the secrets would be laid bare. As heir to the Umeki family I would finally learn those mysteries.

I truly hoped in the upcoming years I would make my family proud.

About an hour later, My Aunt Emmi, grandmother and my mother entered the room bearing a new set of clothes. Normally, I would have expected Aunt Riki would be in the room, not my Aunt Emmi. Apparently there had been some sort of political change inside the Shisaa family that no one bothered to tell me. Since my great Aunt left for Hawaii, Uncle Masanori was now in charge. Which I was very excited about. Not that I disliked my Aunt Riki, she just could be so difficult at times. My Uncle, however, I loved dearly. I looked forward to working with him in the years ahead.

Unlike so many times where I would be uncomfortable with my family, this very moment was a joy. My mother, who normally had the emotions of a rock, was outwardly very happy. She chatted along with the others as they dressed me in this beautiful white and red silk Kimono. Since this was considered technically a coming of age ceremony, it was in the Furisode style. All three gave me a warm hug before a number of others were brought in to finish my makeup and hair.

What I thought was interesting; except for my immediate family everyone was attired in black and white Miko outfits. Quite the change from the red and white, but I didn’t give it much notice. What I did notice, unlike earlier in the morning, there was more of a festive atmosphere. My Aunt Emmi, besides being the only Shisaa in the room didn’t seem to be enjoying herself, though.

Like the others earlier, I was positive that she was afraid that the close relationship with her family would change after the ceremony. I almost about confiding with my Aunt the changes I intended to make but I could never seem to find the right moment.

With my transformation complete I noticed that there were three people who were still missing. Aya and Sile, both very important people in my life, had not arrived. Katie apparently was to join us later; I was disappointed in my old Nanny not being able to attend the ritual. The good news was that she would be accompanying me on my vacation to Hawaii.

In the years ahead I understood that Aya would continue to be by my side. A fixture in my life, it would feel incomplete without her being next to me. If possible on this vacation, I needed Sile to join us as well. I really want to show her the places I grew up. I want to us to spend more time together. Although not big on attaching names to her relationships, for me however perhaps someday it might be something more permanent, but that's still in the distant future. I still have University ahead and frankly I desperately need get get my own house in order.

With the headdress and the Getas in place, I was going to need help traversing through the halls and up to the shrine. With all of the people in the room, I didn’t think that was going to be much of a problem. Moments later, everyone quieted down and as one we proceeded out of the room and down the hallway. My grandmother and mother took the lead, while the rest of the gang followed. Once we hit the upper floors, I began to pass male members of both families. They all sat one knee as we passed and once the processional went by, they followed behind our group.

My grandmother told me that Aya and Sile would be waiting for us at the bottom of the stairs that lead up to the Shrine. That was the plan at least, but when our group exited the building, although the rest of the family was in place, Sile and Aya were still missing. I could tell from those around me that it was totally unexpected. A few overheard whispers I discovered that they were late. A few of my mother’s attendants and some of my cousins were missing as well.

As our group headed towards the center of the enclosure, we slowed down. Guessing that my grandmother was buying some time, it didn’t bother me as my feet were already killing me.

Of course it didn’t take long for my mother to become truly annoyed. “Where is that girl?”

As on cue, Aya stepped into the center of the enclosure. With her usual immaculate clothing shredded and covered in blood, I immediately I understood something was wrong. At first visions of a horrible traffic accident filled my head but changed to Sile puncturing her own skin with her razor sharp nails to form a bloody circle on the floor.

“Aya, where is Sile?”

Turning to my mother, my protector ignored me question. Before she could say something, my grandmother asked. “Where is everyone else, Aya?”

Aya shook her head, “Most are on the way to the hospital.”

“What?” My Uncle Masanori exclaimed.

I could feel the blood draining from my face, what was happening here? “Where is Sile, Aya?” I commanded.

“She escaped.” My protector shrugged, for some reason she didn’t appear all that upset about it.

Swiftly I stepped forward to confronted my mother. “What the hell is going on?”

As if everyone but Aya noticed me for the first time, with a nod from my mother I felt something sharp pressed against the back of my neck.

While watching Kimme fall into the arms of one of the black robed women, Kaede Umeki turned to her Warden. “I am disappointed but I guess it couldn't be helped. Masanori, please bring out the Norimono, we will place my daughter on it and proceed with the ritual.”

The Alpha bowed. “As you command, but please be informed that Sile, as I have mentioned several times before has very powerful allies. Perhaps this is not the time to complete the ceremony.”

“No, you are wrong, it is the perfect time. Believe me; once my daughter’s true powers have been unleashed those so called allies will be no threat to our family.”

“I respectfully disagree but I will follow your command.” Waving his hand, several members of the Shisaa family stepped forward to place the unconscious form of Kimme in the palanquin.

reiki-symbols.jpg

As a bright white light totally consumed my vision, I felt afraid. Slowly slipping away, I felt detached from the world, lost in the bright light but thankfully it soon faded and I was able to see again. Surprisingly I found myself standing in front of an ancient red and gold Japanese shrine sitting atop a tall mountain overlooking a wide green valley. The Shrine felt like a familiar place, from my dreams or perhaps a place I visited long ago.

Soft pink petals swirled around me, comforting me although I could not feel the gentle breeze that caressed the cherry blossoms that filled the air. It was a peaceful place but for some reason I still felt afraid. Looking around further, I realized I was not alone.

“Welcome back, Kimme.”

A Japanese girl, to whom I bore a strange resemblance but wasn’t me lay on the other side of a stone courtyard. Tall with black and white hair, dressed in the red and white of a Miko, she stood in the center of a bronze circle. Alarmingly attached to her legs, waist and arms were thick silver chains.

“Who.”

So that was my name, Kimme. Visions swam before me, teasing me with something forgotten. Trying to move my arms, I discovered the same types of chains were bound around my body. Chained to a bronze circle like my doppelganger, I too was dressed as a Miko.

“The name is Kimiye.”

“You’re Kimiye. Do I know you?” The name brought forth more visions.

“I think so but I know you very well.”

“You do?” I looked down at the chains, still very confused. Why was I here, wasn’t I at home moments ago? Where was home? “Is this a dream?”

Kimiye shrugged, “Perhaps, however I think you are in my dreams and not the other way around.”

“I don’t understand.”

The Miko smiled in sympathy. “Let me tell you a story of an ancient respected and honorable family whose abilities once challenged the powers of the gods. As time slowly passed, as with most things their power began to wane. Soon the family no longer garnered the veneration that was once lavished upon it by other families. In fact at the first sign of weakness these others stepped forward to take away more power. Slowly throughout the many years, they were a mere shadow of their former glory.”

Suddenly, all of the visions came into focus; it all came back to me. “The Umeki family.” In frustration I strained at the chains, which of course proved futile. What was happening to me? Did something with the ritual go wrong? Was this some sort of hallucination? I didn’t think so there was a certain feel of reality to it that was disturbing.

“Correct. Now, the family had tried on several occasions to rebuild their power, but to no avail. Many inside the family decided that it was for the best, that this was the way of things. Others fought the decline with their last breath.”

“Like my mother.” I wasn't positive why that thought popped inside my head but I knew it to be true.

“Yes. Twenty years ago, the last of the family powers faded. The remaining male had neither heirs nor a wife. Although the second problem was quickly solved, she could bear him no children. Even magic proved of no use, as if the woman was destined to be childless.”

“So they adopted?” Was I adopted, that would explain a few things but her story didn't seem complete.

“Yes and no. As I said before, the powers of this family had faded but there were still those who wanted to bring it back to its former glory. Centuries before, the family had sealed away a Yōkai of great power. That spirit had already served the family well for many generations. What was decided, that another Yōkai would be made to serve the family but this time, the very essence of the person would be decided before hand.”

“I don’t understand.”

“Although they ruled over the other spirit they still feared it. So this time the family would create a magical shell for the Yōkai to dwell in. The creature would be forced to actually fuel it's prison, a Karakuri or puppet enchantment, bringing it to life. Also although the new spirit was not male, because of a number of reasons, they decided to force it into that form.”

A chill ran down my spine. “Ken.” Slowly I fell to the ground ill, despair and a feeling of utter crushing betrayal enclosed around me. I was nothing more than an enchantment, a artificial life, not even human. All my dreams suddenly shattered, my world became dark at the implications that my very existence had been a lie. I tried to fight it, this was an hallucination a dream however something deep inside told me that the girl in front of me spoke the truth.

If my so called family needed me to be male why the switch. It wasn't the forest, nor some strange random spell, my gender change had been planned. “But why Kimme?.” I whispered.

“For two reasons, because the Yōkai, although bound, knew that the chance for freedom still existed. By leeching power from those around her, mainly humans filled with negative energy, she was able to for a time free herself and during those moments, harvested even more energy."

Kimme understood those that Kimiye had touched were more at peace with themselves. Somehow that negatively was drawn out with beneficial results. Miki for example, instead of being hesitant about his art now threw himself into it with joyful abandonment. Ken’s old friend had just won a major award, earning a large scholarship. Even Eric, benefited from the experience, running into him the other day she found that he had abandoned his rough exterior. Rumors said that Eric forced his mother to get help, got a job and spent the rest of his time taking care of his sister.

"The family believed that a second sealing, binding the creature further, would keep it from breaking free."

“The second reason?”

“Power, those who insisted that a male shell would be more beneficial were found to be wrong. In a proper female form, the new body would be able to dominate the Yōkai trapped inside. When the time was just right, the Karakuri enchantment and the spirit within would be joined together to form a new more powerful being. Ritually crafted to better serve the family, the new being would posses the same memories as before but then again would not be the same person who made those memories.”

"Why did they need Sile?"

"The family needed the death of a powerful spirit to fuel the ritual." Kimiye bit her lip before continuing. "Like Olina before her. Although that experience did not turn out well for the family."

"No, please don't tell me not Olina too?" Tears began to run down my cheeks, the reality of the situation finally becoming clear. The ritual, the gender change everything had taken place to bring the two of us together for this very moment. To make matters worse, like my nightmare both Kimiye would cease to exist. “Do you know when this will happen?”

“Soon, if you allow me I can open a small passage into the outside world.”

“Allow you?”

“Yes, I need to use some of your energy, mine is now too bound.”

Rising from the ground I looked at her. Would she absorb me like in my nightmares if I gave her permission? Still, I wondered what was going on outside. I needed to make sure that whatever happens, Sile would be all right.

As if reading my mind the Yōkai smiled. “I need just enough to open a window, so we can look out and prepare ourselves properly.”

reiki-symbols.jpg

With Kimme settled, the procession continued, circling around the ancient tree that stood in the center of the enclosure three times. Soft music now accompanied the procession, lightening the somewhat solemn atmosphere. Taking the stairs slowly, the group turned around to face the rest of the family suddenly Hibiki and Yui, who was pulled out of college, began to slowly dance around Kimme.

Fast and faster they danced, then stopped.

“Aya, please get my Athame.”

As Aya bowed to Kimme’s mother then headed off towards the living quarters, Kimme grandmother frowned. “Are you sure this is what you want? I believe your allies meant that as a gift did they not?”

“It’s a sacrifice I am willing to make for my daughter. If it displeases them, then I am willing to suffer the consequences.”

“I think Kimme will be disappointed in that her dear friend won’t be accompanying her to Hawaii.”

“She has other friends; I thought that perhaps Rebecca and Hibiki would become permanent attendants.”

“What about their lives in Skogshaven?”

“Like I said mother, we all have to make sacrifices for my daughter.”

Aya soon appeared at the bottom of the stairs. With a nod from Kimme’s mother, the blade was unsheathed. From the shadows, a figure came forth.

Katherine looked around. “I see Aya; so you were unable to capture Sile.”

“You are correct, she proved more formidable than we thought."

Kimme grandmother, slowly walked down the stairs. "Katherine, you might have said something to us; your advice would have been invaluable.”

“I wasn’t asked.”

Sachiko Imai nodded, she understood that the Aos Sidhe would not have given information unless placed under duress that would cause another one of its kind to suffer her fate. “You understand what needs to happen.”

“Of course.” Suddenly the mortal glamour that was known as Katie fell away. From all around the enclosure there was an intake of breath. Garbed a long silver and blue gown, with her now long red hair covered in white flowers the Aos Sidhe, sealed away in the blade had transformed. If she must leave this world, Caitrin would do so in her true form not the mockery she had long endured.

Slowly, with her head held high, Caitrin walked up the stairs, passing Kimme's grandmother. Behind her strode Aya, who now bore a black blade in her left hand.

Taking one last look around, her eyes full of contempt Caitrin walked up to the unconscious Kimme. Reaching up, she cupped the child’s face with her hands, then smiled. “Goodbye, my duckie.”

Finding the spot, Caitrin knelt down. “One last thing Aya, make sure that your blade strikes true. I tire of this life and look forward to meeting my people once again in Tá­r na ná“g.”

reiki-symbols.jpg

“You have to stop it!” Through the mirror like pool that opened up between us, my beloved Katie was going to be killed. With her death, both Kimiye and I would vanish. Hopelessness almost overcame me but suddenly I understood that I was not totally powerless. “I am nothing but an enchantment, right? I’m not even real.”

Kimiye looked up her eyes full of sorrow. “Yes, but soon it won’t matter.”

“Fine then, Kimiye I have a proposition for you.”

Authors Notes: A special thanks to djkauf for a little elvish editing. If you like the story please leave a Kudos, if you have the time I would love to hear from you. Thanks to all for reading! - Elsbeth

up
192 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Betrayals

Believe Kimmie plans to release Kimiye by sacrificing her essence to her. Thinking that this will not work out in quite the way she plans but may be better in the end. And is Sile pretending to be Aya? Hoping that Mommy dearest learn a harsh lesson.

Betrayals

Elsbeth's picture

I think your right that Kimme's choices are now very limited, so we will have to see what happens :) I'm glad your liking the story.

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

PS That is a good question about Sile

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Who are the Real Monsters? Chapter 18

Good chapter..cant be good..what happened to Sile?

++++++++++++
Cartman: A fine day of plundering we had boys. What about yourselves? Here you are lads, plenty of booty to go around. A round of grog for me boys. A round of grog for everyone!

Who are the Real Monsters? Chapter 18

Elsbeth's picture

Thanks, I'm happy your liking the story

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Who are the Real Monsters? Chapter 18

That family's betrayal of Ken/Kimme is about to bear it's most bitter fruit to their utter dismay if I read things right.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Argh!

Great! Another chapter! Yay! What happened to Sile? They killed Olina? Where's Morgan? Argh!!!! ;)

On the edge of my seat? Why would you say that?

Hugs
Grover

They killed Olina?

Elsbeth's picture

Aya did, planned by her mother of course. If you remember very early in the story that Grandma and Aya were late to the meeting between the family and Olina, now you know why. Also that is the reason why the Umeki family was forced from their homes.

Good question where is Morgan, Lily wants to know too :)

Thanks for reading

hugs

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

The best laid plans...

Little do the family know that Kimmie's been listening in - never mind the absence of Sile, I have a funny feeling this ritual isn't going to go according to plan - especially since they've killed Ken's first love, attempted to kill his second and are now about to kill his main protector throughout the Hawaii years - never mind transforming Kimme / Kimiye into what pretty much amounts to a slave, a creature magically bound to do the family's bidding.

It appears as though Kimme / Kimiye's survival is anything but guaranteed, so hopefully whatever they can come up with in the next few minutes can drain the rest of the family of as much of their remaining magical power as possible - it appears as though as their power's declined, they've devised increasingly desperate measures to regain their power, so with the revelations of what they've been up to this time, it would serve them right if they lost their remaining power and effrectively became duds.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

ritual isn't going to go according to plan

Elsbeth's picture

Its already off of plan, underestimating Sile. But then again so did the Winter Court originally, learning a long time ago to down play her powers and not show off. Seems they also underestimated Kimme and the power of the Yōkai they bound.

Kimme is at this point not a particularly happy camper, with good reason and at this point if she has nothing to lose....

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Ouch... well, I guess Kimme

Ouch... well, I guess Kimme won't take this anymore. They want a demon, they can have one. I guess the ritual won't work if Kimme and Kimmye voluntarily fuse with each other. Aya needs to die, the family needs to end. I doubt Kimme will want to have any contact with her "family", creators again after this event.

I wonder, is Ken/Kimme a homunculus, or a magically created human? Does s/he have a navel?

Thank you for writing this awesome story, I can't wait for the next chapter,

Beyogi

Oh man, the pain, the

Oh man, the pain, the ag-o-ny! That was beautiful. I dearly love it when things like that happen. Such insanity. Why oh why do I feel like the hammer is about to drop on this family? Oh, yeah, that's your idiom and you do it so very, very well. Gah!

So, when is the next chapter coming out?

Heather

We are the change that will save the world.

So, when is the next chapter coming out?

Elsbeth's picture

I'm happy your liking the story, the next chapter should be interesting to say the least. Been looking forward to writing it for some time. Your right, Kimme's plan is to do exactly that but we shall see if it works out as she plans.

Thanks for reading

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

I was beginning

to suspect something like this. I do believe that Kimme has popped up with an idea to bite them all in the butt, and bring "herself" to the forefront in another modified form, save her friends, and take over to punish the badguys. Just wish we didn't have to wait to see the solution.

I'm actually quite mad at you right now...

And people here claim that EoF is bad about cliffhangers... Thanks. :P

Despite that, it's another great chapter that, while giving us a fair amount of information, still leaves us in the dark about a few things. For example, what kind of shape is Sile in? But I digress... I can't wait to see what becomes of Kimmie and that Yokai. Please keep it up!

Peace be with you and Blessed be

Evil

Her family is seriously evil and needs to be punished.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna