That's How the System Works - Part 3

Printer-friendly version
That's How The System Works
Chapters 6-7
by Danielle Rose

 

“What I’m about to tell you cannot leave this room,” I said.

“You have my word,” replied Kim.

“I’m not sure how it happened. One night, I’m sitting in a police station after being taken from my grandfather’s house by the police, and the next thing I know, I’m not who I used to be,” I said.

"What do you mean by not who you used to be?"

"I haven't always been Amber. That night I came to Orangewood was my first night being Amber," I said.

"Who were you before?"

"I was somebody else. Somebody who didn't know the first thing about being a girl."

“If you’re going to sit there and tell me you used to be a boy, I’m going to hurl this book at you.” Kim said, with a look of amusement while picking up the novel I had been reading.

Pulling my knees up to my chest and putting my arms up in a defensive posture, I took a deep breath and closed my eyes tight. “I used to be a boy.”

 


 
Author's note: I've realized after the fact that there are a few things I should have clarified upon when I began writing these stories... You may have realized it by now, especially for those familiar with Orange County, but this story does not take place in the present. Since I made Amber's birthday the same as my own, the first part takes place in November 1996, while Interlude and Part 2 take place 2 months later (January 1997). Also, since I had originally intended Part 1 of the "That's How the System Works" to have been a complete story by itself, I've had to make a few ret-cons to the universe. I'm sure people have noticed, but it was the only way to stretch things out enough to turn this into a full blown serial. I want to thank everyone for reading. I hope you all continue enjoying "That's How the System Works".
Hugs, Danielle
 


 
 
That’s How the System Works — Part 3
By Danielle Rose

Chapter 6

The next few days dragged by. On Thursday, Steve dropped by before school to let Kim and I know that the judge still hadn't signed off on our paperwork. Despite my previous misgivings about leaving, I was beginning to get impatient. I had started to daydream about things like high school, boys, college, college boys, and just the future in general. After returning to the cottage following school that day, Kim and I retreated to our room to play Super Mario World.

“Amber?”

“Huh? I’m sorry, did you say something?”

I looked over at Kim sitting on her bed, and noticed she had a smile on her lips.

“First, it’s your turn,” she said, pointing to the television screen. “Second, I asked you if you had any plans on seeing anybody after we leave,” said Kim.

“Oh, I’m sorry. I was daydreaming a little.”

“I could tell. You must have been thinking about something nice from that goofy smile on your face. Or should I say someone?”

I picked up my pillow and lightly threw it in the general direction of Kim. “Oh shut up!” I yelled while laughing.

After she threw my pillow back at me, I noticed a serious look come over Kim’s face. “You never did finish telling me who sent you that letter.” I was afraid this would happen.

After returning to our room on Monday night, I found Kim very ensconced in playing Super Metroid on the Super Nintendo. After going to the bathroom and changing into my pajamas, I returned to the room to find Kim’s eyes still glued to the TV screen. She tended to get that way when playing video games. Picking up my book from my nightstand, I began to read several more pages of the new Michael Crichton novel that I had picked out at the library. I guess I must have fallen asleep while reading, because the next thing I knew, it was 6am and Kim was nowhere to be found. The next couple days passed without so much as mention of the letter. I knew it was too good to last.

Looking around the room for an excuse not to come clean to Kim, I took off my glasses, cleaning them with my t-shirt. After rubbing the bridge of my nose, I put my glasses back on and turned off the video game before sitting down on my bed. “Are you sure you want to hear this?” I asked.

“I've been wanting to know what was in that letter ever since you got it.”

I looked at my watch and saw it was a few minutes after 5pm. “Why don’t we wait a little bit. They’re going to call us for the dinner line in a few minutes, and I won’t have enough time to explain before then.”

Kim grabbed my wrist and bent my arm to get a good look at my watch. Confirming the time, she gave me a pouty face and let go of my wrist. “Fine, but before lights out tonight, I want to know the truth. No matter what you tell me, it won’t change our friendship.”

******

Being it was Thursday, they were serving Salisbury steak for dinner. Not one of my favorites, but it was definitely better than the meatloaf or tuna surprise. I picked through my meal, not really hungry. I was thinking about how I could tell Kim my secret without her freaking out on me. After dinner, we returned to the cottage and completed our chores before returning to our room.

Sitting down on my bed, Kim sat down next to me and wrapped me in a hug. “Amber, whatever it is, it can’t be that bad. Believe me, I've heard and seen a lot of wild things in my short life. I’m open-minded and I don’t really judge or jump to conclusions.”

I let Kim hug me for a few moments more before I let her go and scooted myself back to the corner of the wall.

“What I’m about to tell you cannot leave this room,” I said.

“You have my word,” replied Kim.

“I’m not sure how it happened. One night, I’m sitting in a police station after being taken from my grandfather’s house by the police, and the next thing I know, I’m not who I used to be,” I said.

"What do you mean by not who you used to be?"

"I haven't always been Amber. That night I came to Orangewood was my first night being Amber," I said.

"Who were you before?"

"I was somebody else. Somebody who didn't know the first thing about being a girl."

“If you’re going to sit there and tell me you used to be a boy, I’m going to hurl this book at you.” Kim said, with a look of amusement while picking up the novel I had been reading.

Pulling my knees up to my chest and putting my arms up in a defensive posture, I took a deep breath and closed my eyes tight. “I used to be a boy.”

Several seconds passed without so much as a sound, let alone getting a book thrown at me. I opened one eye to see Kim sitting there on my bed, book still in hand, with a very bewildered look on her face, her mouth agape. Opening my other eye, I lowered my arms. Several more seconds passed, and suddenly the book fell from Kim’s grasp.

“I… um… I,” stammered Kim. She appeared to be completely frozen in place. I wasn’t sure, but I thought I started to see a muscle in her neck twitch. Lowering her arm, she closed her mouth. And then she began to cry. I reached over to try and hug her, but she instead pulled her knees up to her chest, wrapped her arms around her knees, and began rocking back and forth.

I leaned over and put my arm around her shoulders. “Kim, I’m so sorry I haven’t told you until now. I should have told you sooner, but I didn’t think anyone would believe me. Hell, I didn’t think what happened to me was even possible until it did happen.”

Kim looked up, tears still falling down her cheeks. She laid her head on my shoulder, and I could tell the friendship hadn’t ended. “Amber, I think we’ve got more in common than anyone else would ever believe,” she stated. I jerked upright and turned Kim so I could face her.

“What?” I asked rather loudly.

“Four months ago, while I was being escorted here after my grandmother was hospitalized, I fell asleep in the back of the social worker's car. When I woke up, I wasn’t who I used to be either.”

My mouth dropped open, and I started to feel tears welling up inside me.

“Kim,” I began, “Are you trying to tell me you were a boy too?”

Kim nodded. “I mean, after waking up, everything was the way I remembered it, but nobody knew who Kevin was anymore, they only remembered Kim. I called my grandmother a few times after I got here, and she always referred to me as Kim her granddaughter, not Kevin her grandson.” Kim sniffled.

“Did anything else change?” I asked.

“Besides me being a girl? No, nothing I can think of. Why?”

“When I got here, people kept telling me that my whole family was killed in an accident,” I said. “I thought that was impossible, considering I had loads of family all over the place. Then I got a letter from Serena, and I also found out that my parents had never divorced, resulting in me not having any step-family. No step-family meant my actual family was much smaller than before, by at least fifty people.”

“What are you getting at?” Kim asked.

“I later learned that my family didn’t die. The letter told me they were never here.”

“From someone named David?” she asked.

A little surprised that she knew his name, I nodded. “In it, I learned that I wasn't supposed to have memories of Darrell.”

“Who’s Darrell?” Kim asked.

“Oh, that’s right, I hadn’t told you what my name used to be,” I said. “Darrell; I was named after my father,” I cracked my knuckles. “But, I was not a junior!” I said in a defiant voice. I looked at my watch. It was almost 7:30. “Stephanie has the letter. Jen found it while packing up my things. I told Steph to hang on to it for safe keeping.”

“Oh. Well, I got a letter too. Mine said that I was an orphan, and that they would send me back if they could. It also told me that I could do good things in this reality. I was told that I would meet people who would need my help. Not that I needed much encouragement, but it was Stephanie who asked me to help you. She said you had been though a rough transition, and you would seem as if you didn't know the first thing about being a girl. In hindsight, I should have put two and two together.”

“Don’t feel bad. To be honest, I never would have guessed about you,” I said, putting my arm around her shoulders again. “And I am very thankful for the help that you have given me.”

“It wasn’t a big deal,” Kim said. “Most of my friends were girls, so I already knew a lot before I came here. And my first roommate helped me a lot too. My first period really freaked me out, though. But I got through it. I’m glad it happened in the middle of the night when Stephanie was here, you know?. When did she tell you that she knew your secret?”

“On Monday night, right after she asked to talk to me outside.”

“Oh wow. She told me when I was only about three days in,” Kim said.

Kim got up and stripped off her t-shirt and bra, soon followed by her shorts. This was the first time Kim had ever changed in front of me. Pulling on her pajamas, she laid back down on my bed, curling her legs into a near fetal position. “Amber?”

“I swear, I wasn't staring,” I said.

“No, it’s not that. I just wanted to say that with everything we've been through, apart and together, I don't think we're just best friends. We’re sisters. I never want us to stop being there for each other.”

“I wholeheartedly agree,” I said.

Chapter 7

On Friday morning, while Kim and I were getting ready for school, someone knocked on our door. I looked at Kim to make sure she was dressed before allowing anyone to enter.

“Come in,” I called out.

Opening the door carefully, Stephanie poked her head in. “Just making sure you two were decent before I came in,” she said.

I giggled. "I wouldn't have said to come in if we weren't."

Opening the door fully, Stephanie came in our room and leaned against the door once it had closed. “I just wanted to tell you two that Steve came by a few minutes ago. Your paperwork went through last night. It looks like you two will be leaving this evening.”

I looked over at Kim. “And you thought we wouldn’t leave until next week,” I said.

Kim threw her hands up and let them drop dramatically. “Well, even I can be wrong sometimes.”

I turned my attention back to Stephanie. “So, were you ever going to tell me about Kim?” I asked.

Kim then started wagging a finger between her and I. “Or vice versa?” she asked.

Stephanie crossed her arms over her chest. “So, you two finally told each other. I was beginning to wonder how long it would take.” Stephanie then looked at me. “I was considering telling you about Kim on Monday night.”

“Why didn’t you?” I asked.

“Frankly, I thought you might still figure it out from the letter David sent you. He did tell you that you could trust Kim,” Stephanie said.

I stood, a blank look on my face. How could I have forgotten that the letter mentioned Kim directly? “Oh my God. I didn’t even think about it like that.”

“I also saw how well you two were bonding,” Stephanie continued. “My guess was you two would eventually tell each other. I just didn’t think it would take you this long. I was going to sit you both down later today and tell you if you hadn’t already told each other.”

“Well, “ Kim began. “We know now.”

“Indeed,” said Stephanie.

“So, what time will we get picked up tonight?” I asked.

“Probably around five or so,” replied Stephanie. “I’m not supposed to say anything, but the other girls talked the staff into throwing you a little going away party.”

“They had to talk the staff into it?” asked Kim.

“No, not really,” answered Stephanie with a little laugh. “We were already talking about it when a couple girls came up and asked us if they could throw one.”

“What time?” I asked.

“Right after school. Then you’ll need to get packed,” replied Stephanie. “But remember to act surprised.”

“We will,” Kim and I replied in unison as Stephanie left the room.

******

School seemed to drag on forever. We were obviously excited about leaving. Once school let out for the day, we said goodbye to the teacher, Mrs. Newman, while all the other girls returned to the cottage. We had been told to hang back for a few minutes and say our goodbyes to people who would not be at the cottage or office. Since Mrs. Newman left immediately following class, she wouldn’t be able to stick around for the going away party.

Arriving at the Cottage, we were welcomed by thunderous applause from the girls and staff. There were banners saying “Good luck, girls,” and balloons hanging from every possible surface. Of course, Juanita Camacho was noticeably absent. ‘She’s probably in her room pouting, not wanting to be social,’ I thought to myself.

After giving everyone a hug, Kim and I were escorted to the kitchen table. After being blindfolded, Kim and I waited in anticipation of what was coming next. I heard the front door open, and the shuffling of many more feet across the carpeted entryway. Every now and then, I could hear someone saying “shush”. I could also hear items being placed on the table in front of us.

“The staff and girls in this cottage weren’t the only ones who wanted to say good bye,” said Papa Dave.

When our blindfolds were removed, we were welcomed by the sight of nearly every other teen and pre-teen kid in Orangewood, along with many staff from various cottages. In front of us on the table were numerous greeting cards.

“And of course,” began a familiar voice. “You can’t leave without having one of my homemade chocolate cakes.”

“Louise!” I yelled.

“You two didn’t think you were going to leave without me making you a cake, did you?” Louise asked as she walked over to the table, carrying a very large chocolate cake.

Kim and I got up from our chairs and gave Louise a hug from both sides. We knew there was going to be a party, but we didn’t know so many people wanted to say goodbye to us. Plenty of other girls had left over the last 2 months without barely anything more than a mention from the staff that they were gone.

After sitting back down at the table, Kim and I both had a piece of Louise’s chocolate cake set before us on paper plates.

Once everyone had eaten a piece of cake, the kids and staff from the other cottages came over to Kim and I. We received lots of hugs and well wishes, then they started to make their way back to their own cottages.

Once everyone had left, Papa Dave told everyone that Kim and I needed to go pack our belongings. Once in our room, I began to cry.

“What’s wrong, Amber?” Asked Kim.

“When I was a guy, I never had many friends. I didn’t think I was missing out on anything special. It was just so overwhelming how many people came to say goodbye.”

“I know what you mean,” said Kim. “I didn’t have that many friends either.”

“And look at us now,” I said. “We’re popular, we’re happy, and I don’t miss being a guy at all. I’ve already started thinking that I don’t want them to find a way for us to go back.”

“I’ve felt that way since right after I first got here,” Kim said. “It didn’t hurt that I used to wish about being a girl all the time.”

“You wanted to be a girl?” I asked.

“Yeah.”

“Wow,” I said.

“I was seeing a therapist back then,” said Kim. “She told my parents that I might have Gender Identity Disorder.”

“How did they take it?” I asked.

“Not very well at first. Then my mom came around a little bit. We were still working on my dad when they were killed.”

“You’ve never said how your parents died.”

“Home invasion,” Kim said with a somber look. “Two guys broke into the house in the middle of the night.”

“Oh my God!” I exclaimed. “And they just killed your parents?” I asked.

Kim nodded. “I wasn't home. I had gotten chickenpox earlier in the week, and neither of my parents could take any time off from work, so they had me stay at my grandmother’s house while I got better.”

“Oh Kim, I am so sorry,” I said as I wrapped my best friend in a hug. She laid her head down on my shoulder and began to cry.

******

While we were finishing saying goodbye to everyone in the cottage, Papa Dave took our bags up to the reception area, and fifteen minutes later, Kim and I were escorted by Carlos to the front office. Upon arriving at the office, we noticed there was another bag sitting next to ours. After saying our goodbyes to the office staff, we made our way to the the waiting area to wait for Steve to finish signing paperwork. A couple minutes later, I felt a presence walk up and sit in the chair behind me.

“Yo, bitches.”

“What are you doing here, Juanita?” I asked.

“Waiting for my ride,” she replied. “I’m getting placed today.”

“Where at?” asked Kim.

"Palm House, just like you.”

Kim and I exchanged nervous glances. “Wow,” I said.

“I can’t get rid of you two prissy princesses.”

“Hey girls. Ready to go?” asked Steve as he walked up behind us.

Kim and I nodded. Juanita nodded as well.

“This is sure to make for an interesting time,” said Kim as we walked to Steve’s car. All I could do was nod in agreement.

up
131 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

well Danielle.....

I guess the system works, not really sure why, or who's running it for that matter. I'm thinking Kim & Amber don't really want to go back to there old lives or to being guys for that matter either. I'm also wondering just where Juanita fits into this picture, maybe she's a victim of the "system" too. I guess we'll just have to wait for the next episode. Nice story so far, keep it coming! (Hugs) Taarpa

Yeah, it really wouldn't be a

Yeah, it really wouldn't be a big surprise... They should really try to find out how the system works instead of just floating. For all they know they could be lead to the slaughter house. Junanita seems to be more rebellious, maybe she knows more. But then Kim and Amber would need to get over their "prissy" selves and talk to her or something. Maybe Juanita knows they too were boys and is really pissed about the situation. Well who knows, I can't wait for the next chapter.

Danielle, thank you for writing this captivating story,
Beyogi

That's How the System Works - Part 3

How many more will join their fraternity/sorority?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

RE: That's How the System Works - Part 3

You'll find out soon :) I'm thinking of posting one more today or tomorrow before I start turning this into a weekly serial. Maybe twice weekly. I'm trying to find time to work on my other story, which should be released sometime in November or December, but ideas for "System" keep popping up in my head. The other story is also much more emotionally draining to write, so it's coming along slowly, but I still want to work on it. I'm still looking for an editor/collaborator for the other story. I might have a title for it, but it's tentative and could be changed before I post it.

Danielle