Her Mother's Daughter - Chapter 18

Printer-friendly version

Chapter XVIII - More of in the hospital.

 

I laid back down and went back to sleep. Before my eyes closed, I saw the worried look on mother's face. She was actually having a worse time with this than I was. Actually I was so tired that I just slept mostly. When I woke up, there was another nurse I hadn't met before. Her name is Barbara and the PCA is Debbie again. I just opened my eyes as she came in to check my IV drip. She looked at the monitors and wrote down a few things and then said as long as I was awake, she wanted to listen to my lungs and chest. The stethoscope was cold, and I shivered.

"It is a little chilly, isn't it. Well I can see that you still have a lot of gurgling in your lungs. Your temperature is still high, and I know this may sound redundant, but how are you feeling?"

"Like I have no energy, and all I want to do is sleep."

"That's the codeine working. Are you in any pain right now?"

"A little, but it doesn't hurt like it did yesterday."

"Well, if it gets where you can't stand it, just buzz and I will bring you a vicodin. Dr. Burns also ordered penicillin for you too. That is an antibiotic that will help get rid of the pneumonia. Your mother said she will be back a little later. She had to show a house."

I smiled a weak smile, and closed my eyes again. Sleep! Is that all I can really do here? It doesn't seem fair that my body is protesting against me. When I woke up Cyndi was sitting in the chair by the bed.

"Well it is about time, young lady. I thought you'd never wake up. I brought you your assignments up to today. You are only a little behind right now, but not that badly. Do you feel like doing a few assignments, right now?"

"All right."

"Let's start with today's lecture. As you know when you become a therapist you take the weight of your client's troubles, insecurities, and issues onto yourself. The client looks to you for guidance, advice, a little TLC, and wants you to listen intently. Sometimes the client won't know where to start when he or she comes in your office. For our group as you have seen, I provide coffee, tea, and soda if that is what they want. This helps to break down any barriers they may have. When you sat in on our group, they finally warmed to you because of your funny little ad-lib.

"Being a therapist is a very big responsibility. We have to show that we care. Now, I am going to be the client, and you are the therapist. I brought you a pad of paper so you can take notes during the 'session'. Are you ready?"

"Yes."

"Then let's start. You have called me into your office for our 'session', and I have just sat down in your favorite chair. Do you tell the client to move because that is your chair, or do you just sit in another one?"

"I sit in another one. The client should feel comfortable, and sitting in the chair I usually sit in is like she is testing me to see what I will do or say."

"Very good, Jean. All right now, I am fumbling with my fingers, and looking out of the window. I am not saying anything, I just look through the window. What do you do or say to bring the client back in the office?"

"It is a nasty bit of weather we're having isn't it? I wore my boots to work today, because of all of the snow and slush. This is so the client can see that I am human as well as her therapist."

"Very good, Jean. This is why you are one of my best students, because you pay attention. All right are we ready to get into the interview?"

"Yes we are."

"Good. Hi Jean, can I just sit here? I don't feel like talking, but I need to be with someone who can understand why." I wrote a few notes on the pad.

"Why yes, Cyndi, you may just sit here. This is your time to be with me, so you do what you need to to feel comfortable. If there is anything you wish to say then say it, and if you don't feel like talking, then that is all right too." I wrote a few more notes on the pad.

"That is just great, Jean. You are doing well. Now, remember I said that a client has many faces when they come to see us. I am about to show you one of those faces, and I want you to understand, that when you are a licensed therapist, this can happen, and more than once with more than just one client. So, here goes.

"Why are you staring at me? What did I do? Stop it! Stop it! I can't take this pressure any more, it's killing me inside. Now here is where I throw something that is near me. What do you do, in a case like that?"

"I will be right back, Cyndi. Just relax and settle down some. Then I go an get one of the men to help me calm the client down, and then make another appointment telling the client our time is over for today. I have the man that helped me make sure the client leaves the office. Then I let out a sigh of relief because this was a very harrowing session."

"Exactly. When a client, and it doesn't matter if the client is male or female, gets like this, we always excuse ourselves, and go and get help. Never Jean, never try to settle a client by yourself when they get like that. Remember that as therapists we are dealing with very highly emotional people that have had something traumatic happen in their lives, mainly to them. A case in point is, if we have an appointment with a man, and he shows up wearing a dress and has a beard, hairy legs and arms, we don't smirk, we don't laugh, we don't condemn. We treat every individual with respect and try through our sessions to give them some kind of help. Mostly we will be successful, but there will be the odd one out that either won't or can't learn the lessons we give through our advice. That is why it is very important to show respect at all times.

"You know Jean, I am very pleased with your progress academically, but not physically. You need to get well so you can come back to class. Now the rest of the lessons I brought with me are just writing assignments that I have given the class. For you, I want an essay on why you think you would make a good therapist, and then I want you to write an essay from a client's viewpoint. These are the only two lessons besides the 'session' we did today that I have given out. I will give you credit for participating in the other lectures as well because they all lead up to the 'session'. You did very well today. I don't suppose they will allow you to use a laptop here."

"No we don't allow that because of the monitors," Barbara said, coming back in to the room. "Is it necessary to have a computer for her to do her work?"

"No, she can use reference books too, it's just she can get all of that from the sites we gave out at the beginning of the semester."

"Well, we do have reference books, and I can have our supervisor talk to the psychologist and see if she can use a few of them."

"That would be very helpful. Thank you. Jean you let me know if you need any reference material other than what the doctor will let you use."

"All right, Cyndi, I will."

"Now young lady, you get some rest, and I will be back maybe, in a few days, or even tomorrow so we can go over more lessons. Good night Jean, and get well soon. I mean that, now," she said pointing an accusatory finger at me. "Oh! I almost forgot. Here is a notebook to do your essays in. These essays are due two weeks from today, so get them done, and don't be shy about asking for any materials to help in writing them. Now get some rest." After saying that, she left.

"She seems very nice, Jean," Barbara told me with a wide smile.

"She is Barbara. She is not only my psych professor, but also my sorority alumni sister."

"That's right. You belong to Gamma Delta Phi. We have a few nurses here that are alumni from there. You are the first patient I have seen where a patient's teacher has actually come and brought lessons with them. You must be very special."

"No Barbara, I am just a Gamma Delta."

"Then that must be some sorority."

I smiled at her. "It is Barbara, it really is. We are a worldwide sorority dedicated to helping others as best as we can. Most of our alumni work in the health field, but others like my mother and Cyndi work in professional fields too. Like my mother is a realtor, and Cyndi is a college psych professor. Cyndi is also a psychiatrist, so she knows pretty much what she is teaching us. She has a group that she wants me to sit in on as an intern, so I can get first hand experience of what it is like before I graduate."

"Well, I still say you must be someone very special for them to go out of their way like this." If you only knew, Barbara. "What year are you?"

"I'm a freshman at the college."

"A freshman! And your psych professor wants you to sit in on a group as an intern? Most college students don't even get into the field until their junior year. That is just, I mean, wow! You are someone very special to be able to be in the field as a freshman."

"Did you hear any of what we were talking about, while she was here?"

"Just bits and pieces as I passed the room. I heard her say you are one of her best students. That is a very rare compliment from any teacher. Oh there goes my phone. I have to run sweetie, now do as your professor said and get some rest." Then she left without waiting for a "I will".

I laid down again and went to sleep. I woke up during the night, and couldn't go back to sleep. I turned on the tv and there was nothing good on. I turned on the light above my bed, and got out my notebook. I started writing my essay about why I feel I would make a good therapist. I didn't even have to think about this one, and I didn't even need any reference books for this either. Five pages later, I was finished. While I was reading it over, the night nurse came in. I had never seen this nurse either. He was older, even older than mother and had a balding head. When he saw me sitting up in bed, he looked very sternly at me.

"You should be sleeping, young lady. You need your rest so you can get better."

"I woke up and couldn't go back to sleep. So I thought I would do one of my school essays. I was just reading it over when you came in."

"Well, you should be sleeping. Promise me when you are finished reading over your essay, that you will lay back down and go to sleep."

"I promise." He left, and I finished reading over my essay. It was perfect, so I put my notebook away, and went back to sleep.

Mornings were not made for people. Or is that people were not made for mornings? Anyway, the lady from the lab came in and said she had to take blood.

"Name and birth date, young lady." I said my name and birth date, and she checked my wristband, and then put a rubber tourniquet on my upper right arm, and started feeling for a good vein she could use. After she found one, she poked me with the butterfly needle and drew five tubes of blood. Why do they have to take so much? "There all done. Now you can go back to sleep."

I kinda just drifted in and out of sleep, and then the phone rang. It was food service, or as they called it "room service". They wanted to know if I would like to order breakfast. I told them to just send up a good tray. Then the lady went over the menu with me, and when I had agreed to a breakfast tray, I went back to sleep. I didn't hear them bring the tray in until the nurse woke me up and said my breakfast was here. After I had eaten my breakfast, Bobbie came in and sat down next to the bed.

"I need to see how you are healing, dear." She raised two stirrups that I didn't even know were on the bed, and told me to put my feet in them. Then she used "jaws" again to open my vagina, and she looked in with the light she had on her head. "Well, I am going to have to give you some antibiotics and vaginal cream. You have a yeast infection. You seem to be healing just fine, but I want you here until you are completely healed. That should take about another week. We'll see."

"Another week, Bobbie? I'm bored almost to death now."

"I know sweetie, but I want you completely healed so that you won't have to come back in here again. Your mother and I have talked about you spending the next week at home, but I want you to have twenty four, seven care. Your mother isn't always going to be home, and it will cost for a nurse to come out every day. So we agreed that you should stay here for at least another week. You are almost healed. There is a lot of reddening yet, and that should be gone in this coming week. Hopefully. If it isn't, you will be here until it is. I want everything on you and in you healed properly before I let you go back to the sorority.

The next week seemed to go by very slowly. Bobbie came in on Sunday and looked me over, and said everything was fine,and she was going to sign the discharge papers. In the meantime she said I could get dressed, and wait for the nurse to bring in the papers for me to sign, and she would give me further instructions for after care at the sorority.

Part II - Back at Gamma Delta

The nurse came in and had me sign three pages, and then said good luck and don't come back as a patient. I smiled and thanked her for the wonderful care she and the other nurse gave me. She said I was a treasure because I was the first to thank her and include the other nurses. Most people she said just took it for granted that every nurse had to provide care no matter what. She gave me a hug and said take it easy, and I called Kendra to come and pick me up. I didn't have to wait long, because she was already coming down the hallway to my room. I giggled about that thinking now that is good timing. Kendra grabbed the plastic bag with all of the things I was taking with me, and then we left for the parking lot.

"Well it took you long enough to get out of here. I thought you were going to change your address and get your mail here." We both giggled.

"I was thinking about it." We giggled again.

We got to her car that was parked almost right in front of the front door. We got in and buckled our seat belts, and we were on the way back to the sorority. Kendra said it was good that I was finally coming back to the house, because everybody missed me, and the way I always smile and take things as they come, and then handle it then. Many have told me they couldn't do that. Sally Drier told me that she folds up when things get too heavy for her to handle. Sally is a wallflower at dances, and only dances when she is asked. I mean, she is pretty and if she had more confidence those sky blue eyes would hypnotize any boy, even Paul. While we were driving she called Gamma Delta and told whomever she was talking to, that she found the lost sheep and was bringing her home. I heard her say, "good", and we kept driving. In this little town the hospital is actually on the outskirts and is about twenty to maybe twenty-five minutes away depending on traffic.

We pulled into the college and went straight to the student parking lot. Kendra parked in her space, and then we made sure we had everything, and went to the house. There was a big banner above the door that said, "WELCOME HOME JEAN". When we went inside everybody cheered and said, "SURPRISE!" I was actually totally unprepared for any of this. Why me? I mean this is the second time now they have given me a coming home party. Then I saw Paul behind Sandy, and he came over and gave me the biggest hug you could ever imagine.

"Uhm Paul, I, I uhm, I can't uhm breathe." He said sorry and loosened his hold a little, but would not let me go. He kissed me on my lips, and then I knew how much I had missed him. I just melted into his arms, and then a flash went off somewhere in never land, maybe. All I wanted right now was Paul to hold me, and never let me go. Then I heard a far away chanting.

"Paul and Jean sitting in a tree, k i s s i n g; Paul and Jean standing in the hallway, k i s s i n g."

"*Sigh*, it must be wonderful to be in love," Paul and I stopped kissing and I turned and saw Lydia with the biggest cat's grin you ever saw.

"You know Lydia, Paul and I have been in love for years, and we didn't even know it. We've known each other since were ten."

"Oh that is just so precious. Childhood sweethearts, and now they are engaged to be married. Now that is committed love."

I blushed a bright red, and Lydia and Sandy said that red is my color. Then Lydia wanted to know if all the sisters had a fatal disease or something, because I hadn't said hello or even given any of them hugs. So I remedied that and said hello to each and everyone of them, and gave them hugs, and then said to the whole house, thank you for the wonderful home comig. They all said it was nothing for the star of the house.

"Wait! The star of the house? Who?"

"You silly. Why, do you know that before you came here we were just kinda going through the motions of being a sorority. You woke us up girl, you and your firm standing on what you believe in and then going for it at all costs. You woke us up. I wouldn't be surprised if you get voted in as president here. You have a special quality that most people don't. When Kendra first told us who you were, and that she believed you would make a good sorority sister, we all kinda laughed about that because boys don't pledge sororities. But after you pledged and moved in, we didn't see any "boy". What we saw was demure and proper young lady who wanted to be a part of an organization that really stood for something. You made us sit up, put our napkins on, and take small bites. So yes girlfriend, you are the star of Gamma Delta Phi, and we are proud to call you 'sister'."

The dam burst wide open again. What Lydia had just said made me so happy that they thought I had something special.

"So this is what we were looking for when you pledged. We didn't know how you would benefit this sorority, even you didn't know, not really. But after you moved in, then we saw just how you could benefit Gamma Delta. You awakened the sleeping midget and we are very grateful." She held me while the tears just flowed. "Jean, you are a very wise and pretty girl, and we love you and will help you in any way we can. You have that charisma that only so very few have. So wipe those tears away dear, and let's ... PARTY!"

I couldn't help but laugh at that, because she was so right. What was I crying for? Because I was happy that's why. I got up and went over to the buffet table. Paul said he would get what I wanted, and I pointed it out to him, and he got it. He got something for himself, and we went to sit down so we could talk.

"I'm not going to ask what it was like being in the hospital, but I will ask how you are feeling."

"I'm fine now that I'm home again. I mean I just spent the most boring three weeks in the hospital. I mean I did get up walk some, I watched television a little, but mostly I slept. But I'm fine now, because I am home and the man I love is right here with me." He leaned over and kissed me.

"Ehem, don't I get even a hug," Cyndi said as she crept up behind us."You know we're going to have to get you two lovebirds a room if you keep this up." All the girls giggled, and I gave Cyndi a very big hug.

"Thank you for coming Cyndi. I have one of my essays done. I did it the night you were there."

"And what reference material did you use?"

"None, because I know exactly what kind of therapist I am going to be.

"Well that is very commendable young lady. What about the second one?"

"I am going to do that tonight, and have it ready for tomorrow."

"You know they aren't due for another thirteen days ... right?"

"Yes Cyndi, but the sooner I get it done, the sooner I have time to do other studies and other things too. I don't want to wait until the last minute to write it in a hurry and not be able to re-read it and see if it needs to be added to."

"You are a remarkable child. I talked with my department head, and he talked to the dean, and they both agreed that you can sit in on my group sessions. Now when you are there just do what you did that first time."

"I will, because I want to be the best therapist I can be."

"Good girl."

"You're going to intern already? You're just a freshman! Oh My Gawd, you see what I mean about being the star of Gamma Delta? Girl! You are going to go far as a therapist."

"Thank you, Lydia," I said, giving her a hug. "But just remember though, I'm not a therapist yet, so I can't "shrink" any heads here." Everybody giggled, but then Cyndi said something I wasn't ready for.

"You know what Jean? Maybe you can be an in house intern therapist, and just bring your notes to me, and I will go over them. I am your mentor, and you are my intern. Lydia, would you be so kind as to bring that up in the next meeting? If nobody objects to my seeing Jean's notes on anyone who goes to her for a little session, then I will talk to my department head and see if we can't allow you to do this, with me overseeing. I think this would be very good, and you will be graded on it, if we can allow you to be an in house intern therapist."

"Well it would be all right with me Cyndi, if it is all right with the rest of the sisters. But Lydia, you tell them too that the only one outside of me that will see anything they tell me, and my recommendations will be Cyndi, and no one else."

"I will be sure to bring it up, and then you can tell them at the meeting. The next in house meeting is after the break."

"That sounds good, Lydia. That will give me enough time to talk to my department head, and he has to get the okay from the dean. So keep your fingers crossed, both hands, and knock on wood, because we are going where no ordinary college student has gone before. If you are allowed to be the in house intern, Jean, you will be the first. No other student has ever been allowed to give therapy sessions in house."

"I understand, and more now too. I am being given a chance to actually practice my studies as I go along. That would be great, Cyndi."

"Well what are we doing talking shop? I'm sure that Paul would like to dance. So, we are here for a party, so...LET'S PARTY!"

Wow! Cyndi is just as much a party girl as we are. It is good to have a professor who is a human being. Paul got up, and asked me to dance. As I got up, he held my chair for me. We walked hand in hand to the dance floor set up in the middle of the dining room. I looked at the band and mouthed "play Kissin’ Time". The band started playing, and Paul took his cue and kissed me as we danced. This is what I had been waiting for my whole life. To be a woman in a strong man’s arms kissing me while we were dancing. Paul was the sweetest guy any girl would want, and I have him. *Sigh*. I laid my head on his chest, and we continued dancing. The next song by the band was a lady’s choice. Cyndi had requested Dean Martin’s You’re Nobody Till Somebody Loves You. Paul looked into my eyes, and he kissed me again, then he said, "you’re somebody Jean, because I love you." I laid my head on his chest again, and we just danced. I didn’t want to let him go, because I was in that stupid hospital for three whole weeks bored out of my head. I wanted Paul to love me, and hold me, and dance with me, and protect me, and love me, and, and, and...slow down girl, you got him already. Then Paul said he was hungry, so he got something for us both to nibble on, while we sat this next dance out. I just kept looking at him with puppy eyes, and he just smiled.

"You know something, Jean? When you look at me like that, you are very pretty, and angelic."

All I could say in a dreamy manner was, "mmhmmm".

Then all of a sudden I woke up from my reverie to the sound of Danny and the Juniors "Rock And Roll Is Here To Stay. Paul and I got up and danced a very fast dance to this song. Even though this song was from the fifties, it was still a good song to dance to. After this song wound down, the band started right in with Buddy Knox’ Party Doll. We danced again, and by the time the song was over, we were both exhausted.

"Let’s get something to drink. I’m exhausted, Jean."

"I am too, too much lying in that hospital bed. You get us something to drink, I will be right back." I excused myself and headed for the bathroom. After I was through, I rejoined Paul at our table. Mother was already there talking to Paul.

"See, I can’t leave you alone for two minutes and you’re already cheating on me." We all giggled, and Paul gave me a hug. "Mother can I ask you a question, please?"

"Why yes, dear, anytime."

"Why does everyone say that I’m special? I only want to be the woman I am."

"Well dear, to be exact about it. You are the one that came to us and said ‘let me pledge’. We all had our doubts. But then you stood your ground and wouldn’t give an inch. You didn’t even let me change your mind. Then when you pledged, it was printed in our Journal that we send out to the membership. Every Gamma Delta around the world knew that a male was allowed to pledge our sorority. You were told the ground rules, and you haven’t let us down. Then we started taking a very hard look at ourselves. We all started to think that you found us to be something special, simply because I am a sister here and a past president of this chapter, and what this sorority as a whole stands for.

"When everybody saw that you were serious in not only pledging, but in becoming a physical woman too, you gained the respect of a very tight knit organization. Some of the girls didn’t believe you were that serious, until you showed us what stamina and will power is all about. I heard some of the girls call you the ‘Star of Gamma Delta Phi’. That is exactly what you are, the star. I know you don’t like to be singled out for honors and such, but sweetie, you have earned this one time and again. It was you that showed us, we didn’t show you and for that we are very grateful. So, my dear daughter, go with the flow and show us how to accept and love those who are different. For a long time we were looking for some kind of inspiration to bring us out of our ‘slump’ if you will. Well dear daughter, you are that inspiration, and thank you for teaching us."

"Oh mother," I said giving her a hug and starting to cry.

"You go right ahead and cry sweetie, you have earned this right too. Remember that we are all here for you just like you are here for us. What do you think Paul?"

"I think I love her more than ever. She is shy where it counts, she is emotional all the time, and she is a good dancer. She is beautiful not only in her body, but in her spirit too. I only wish that when we first met each other that she was the girl then that she is now; I mean, physically. She has always been this girl emotionally and in spirit. We are going to be just fine, Mrs. McMillan."

Mother smiled and said she knows we will be fine, and that this is one marriage she is going to enjoy making preparations for and going to. She said the highlight of being a mother is watching her daughter walk down the aisle to her waiting husband to be. We talked for a bit more, and then the band began playing. This time Paul asked mother to dance, and she accepted. I was proud that Paul and I had been friends for almost like forever. Mother liked him very well, and Paul's parents liked me too, and even more so now because I am going to marry their son. In just a few days we will be leaving to go home for the Christmas holidays. We come back the day after New Year's. Oh my gawd, I have been in the hospital that long? I went in just before Thanksgiving, and got home today. Even though it seemed a lot longer, it was only three weeks. and now I am caught up in my lessons. But wait a second here! When Cyndi gave me my writing assignments, she said they were due in two weeks. Did she mean right after Christmas break? She had to of.

I found Cyndi, and asked her about the essays being due, and she said right after the holidays. I thanked her and went and sat back down. I was deep in thought when mother and Paul came back to the table.

"...to Jean."

"Huh?"

"I said, earth to Jean. Where were you just now? You seemed far away."

"Oh, I was just thinking. We leave for the Christmas holidays in a few days, and I was just thinking about how long I had actually been in that dumb hospital."

"Well, I called mother and told her both of our families should have Christmas dinner together. That way we can talk, and mom and dad can actually see you as you really are. They have only seen you before your beautiful change into a glamorous butterfly. Wait until Shelley sees you, she's just going to die with envy."

Shelley is Paul's sister, and she thinks she is the bomb. She is a little over weight, and has mousy hair that she never keeps neat, and her clothes are the worst. I mean I am not judging her or anything, but Shelley thinks the world owes her instead of her being just another person in it.

"I would love to have Christmas dinner with your family, Paul. Mother doesn't that sound good?"

"Yes dear, it does," she said beaming that infectious smile. "That means I don't have to cook." We all giggled. "I will make a salad to bring over, Paul, so ask your mother what kind salad I can make that everyone will like."

"That's easy Mrs. M. Everybody will like a nice fresh garden salad with as many fresh vegetables as you can put in it."

"Paul, if you are going to be my son-in-law why don't you just call me "mom"?

"Thank you, mom. You know this is going to get very confusing when we are at my house. I will call you mom and my mother, mother."

"Sounds good to me, Paul. Now why don't I find Cyndi and let you two love birds alone? And Jean, don't you worry about a thing. Bobbie will have you in her office in two weeks and make sure everything is really healed this time." She gave Paul and I hugs, and went off to find Cyndi.

"Paul, do you think that Shelley will be jealous of me? I mean, the way I look now and behave?"

"I know she will. She always thinks she is above everyone else. But when she sees you though be ready for some very bad name calling, because she is going to be shocked to see you as you are now. I have been talking to mom and dad about you since you pledged Gamma Delta. So they are prepared, but I don't know if they told Shelley or not. They are even coming to pick me up too. So they can meet you before Shelley does. Unless Shelley comes along. So don't worry about Shelley, because anything she says will be out of jealousy not hatred or dislike."

"I'll make sure I don't get too bothered. If she will, I will even have a talk with her alone, and explain things to her. Maybe, just maybe she will see that I am who I say I am. I am physically female now to match my soul, and I have a very wonderful fiancé. So I will make sure that she doesn't bother me that much. Besides I can act like the cat that got its tail run over by a rocking chair, if I have to." We both giggled.

"That's my girl. Would you like to dance?"

I said yes, and he held my chair for me, and my palm in his as I got up. We walked hand in hand, again, to the dance floor and danced the slow dance. It felt so good to be in his arms. Am I saying this too much lately? Good! I never thought I would ever get this far this soon, and it is a great feeling to have people back me up in my journey into womanhood.

After the dance was over, I excused myself and went to the bathroom. When I finished in the stall, I looked in the mirror at my makeup. It needed a little freshening. I washed my hands, and repaired my lipstick, and went back out to dance with Paul who was waiting right outside of the bathroom door. We danced every dance for the rest of the evening. Then mother, Cyndi, and Lydia said that it was time the boys went back to their dorm. I walked Paul to the front porch and kissed him good night. I watched him as he rounded the corner to go to his dorm, and I went back inside. I must have been a million miles away because I didn't hear Lydia talking to me.

"You know girlfriend, you have the 'I'm in love' bug very bad. You hardly even noticed I was talking to you."

"I'm sorry Lydia, but I was just daydreaming about Paul."

She nodded as she said, "I know. He is pretty special, isn't he?"

"To me he is, yes.

The next few days went by fast, and Paul's parents were coming up the walk to the house. I just happened to see them as I looked out of the window. I already had my suitcase packed, and I went out to meet them.

"Mom, dad, this is my fiancá¨e Jean. She and her mother are having Christmas dinner with us."

"Child, it is so good to meet you. Are you ready to go?"

"Mother said she was coming to get me."

"I spoke with your mother, dear. She said you can ride with us. Besides, I am sure you would want more time with Paul anyway."

"Thank you Mrs. Anderson. I would definitely like more time with Paul."

She was smiling when she said, "well, what are we waiting for? Let's Go."

up
90 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Her Mother's Daughter - Chapter 18

From being hospitalized to Christmas Dinner with Paul's parents, Jean has certainly come a long way and will go even farther.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Well I hope...

Jean's health problems are behind her now. Soooo, When is the wedding? (Giggle) Taarpa