Her Mother's Daughter - Chapter 11

Printer-friendly version

Chapter XI - Pledging Emily

After we were finished talking, Kendra went to her room, and I got ready for bed. This day had really been a good one for me. Paul took us out to dinner, and then took me to see one of my favorite movies. But I knew this movie by heart, and almost every line too. So it wasn't hard for me to just wander in my thoughts about Emily.

I felt a lot better, now that I had my talk with Kendra. She was going to help me get Emily to pledge, and when Kendra told me she had tried before to get Emily to pledge, that just made me more determined to get Emily into Gamma Delta Phi. I laid my head on my pillow, and was fast asleep.

I dreamed that Emily, Kendra, and I were on the commons, just sitting there and having a good chat, when I brought up how wonderful it was to be a Gamma Delta. Emily quickly said she wasn't sure that a sorority was for her. She said she had heard all kinds of things about sororities, and even fraternities too, and was very hesitant to even consider pledging. Kendra joined in and told her that yes, most of the varsity football cheerleaders lived at Gamma Delta, but they weren't stuck up or anything like that. They accepted the doctrines of Gamma Delta Phi, and they have proven more than once, that even cheerleaders can be ladies. Kendra even said that Emily could come and see the house, and even stay for dinner, and then she could ask us any questions she wanted. Before Emily could answer, my alarm went off.

Okay, so I have done this drill more than a million times in my life. Well, here goes a million and one. I swung my legs out of bed, and my feet just slid into my slippers. I stood up, put my robe on, and went to get my clothes out for the day. I even forgot what day this was, but I knew I had classes. I giggled at the thought I couldn't remember the day. But I picked out my nice Spanish style A-line skirt that had three tiers from the bottom of the skirt to mid way; I got out a white blouse, that buttoned in the back. I picked out just plain under things, and got out a pair of tan stockings (the ones that needed a garter belt), then I got out my black pumps with the ankle strap and the two inch heels. I set the clothes carefully on the bed, and put my shoes on the floor under them. I went to get my bath, taking my bath caddy with me. I thought today I would be the femme fatale, and wanted to smell like it too. So I took out my black orchid bubble bath, my black orchid shampoo, and I set them on the counter next to the tub. I started running the water, and when it was just the right temperature, I dropped the plug, and put in the bubble bath. I was going to really turn heads today.

I sat in the tub thinking of Paul. I started dreaming again about how Paul always calls me beautiful, but today he said I was ravishing. I ate it up like candy, and just let him go on and on about how I was his special little kitten, and he loved me. Just as he was about to kiss me, Lydia came in to use the facilities. She tapped me on the shoulder.

"Girl, you have a very bad habit of going off into dreamland when you're in that tub. Who was it this time, Paul?"

"Uh huh. How'd you guess?"

"It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know who you're in love with. But you're starting to wrinkle. Don't you think that you had better wash down?"

"You're right Lydia. I do spend too much time day dreaming and that is not good, especially in the tub."

So I washed completely, and then washed my hair. I rinsed everything off with the shower head. Lydia was still in the bathroom, and I think she wanted to make sure I would be all right. I got out and started patting myself dry, when Lydia told me that I needed to make sure from now on, that I didn't day dream too much when I was in the tub, or I could accidentally drown.

"I know Lydia. But you know something though? I can't help it. I mean, I love Paul, and I don't want anyone else for a husband, but I can't help but think about him. I have known him since we were ten years old, and I just can't help myself. I wonder where we would actually be today, if we hadn't been friends? Would I have still asked him to be my chaperone for the pledge dance? I don't know. I just know this all still seems like a fairy tale, and I will wake up in the guys dorm again."

"You won't wake up if you drown. Honey, you are awake, and this is no fairy tale, even though it may seem like it. Like they used to say in that cigarette commercial; "you've come a long way, baby." And you have too. You have accomplished more in just a very short time, where it takes others almost years to achieve. You are a decent woman Jean, and we want you to stay around for a few more years, at least until you graduate." We both giggled.

I gave her a hug, and told her that I promise not to drown in the bathtub. I said I had to get dressed and get to class. We hugged again, we went to our rooms. Lydia was right, I shouldn't be day dreaming in the bathtub. But sometimes it just happens. I wonder how many women actually day dream in the bath tub like I do. Oh well, I put my lotion and powder on, and the got back into my robe and slippers, carrying my nightgown with me. I put on my underthings, and my slip, and went to put my makeup on. I sat there looking at the plain Jane in the mirror, and even without makeup she looked beautiful. I see what Paul sees, and that is very good. Now today I want myself to be ravishing in his eyes. As I was just finishing with my eyeliner, Kendra came in and sat on my bed. Ignoring her, I put on my lavender eyeshadow, and then took out my powder brush, and brushed on a light dusting of light tan. I then turned to see Kendra with her arms folded across her chest, and looking like a mad hen.

"What's up Ken?"

"Don't you 'what's up Ken' me girlfriend. What is this I hear Lydia had to wake you up while you were in the tub?"

"Am I in trouble?"

"I would say so. Listen girlfriend, I want you to be around for a long, long time. Please don't day dream in that tub, you could drown, and that is no joke either. I said to myself the first time I saw you, that you should be a Gamma Delta. Please don't die on us. We all love you here, and we want you to be our sister for always." She moved over to me, and hugged me very tightly. I could feel her trembling as she held me.

"Ken I promise not to die on you. I will always be your sister no matter where I am at. I want to keep in touch with you after graduation. And I also promise not to day dream in the tub anymore."

"That's what I needed to hear. I know you are good on your promises, so I will take your word for it. Just remember that we are all looking out for you. Come on, I will help you with your blouse."

I put the blouse on, and Ken buttoned it up for me. I put on my skirt and made sure the blouse was tucked to show my little breasts. I then zipped up the skirt, and made sure the zipper was centered in the back. I raised the handle on my carry all, and started for class. Ken walked with me until we got to the psych building. I went in the building, and Kendra went on to her class. As I walked in I could see Dr. Hinckle doing something with papers on his desk. The others were starting to come in and sitting down. I sat down, and the first thing Dr. Hinckle said was, "Jean McMillan, I would like to see you after class, please."

Now what does he want? Oh well, if I want to stay in school I had better see him. Today's lecture was about how we charge for services. How we charge has a lot to do with not only the hospital, insurance company, or private practice, but also with legislation. When he said that clients and patients are seen for a maximum of forty-five minutes, and the usual fee for that is one hundred and seventy-five dollars, I almost fainted. That much to see a therapist? Wow! I did pick the right profession. So anyway, he said that most clients and patients would have insurance, and today we were going to learn how to bill the insurance company directly.

As he kept going through his little lecture, he asked for two volunteers. This time I wasn't going to be the guinea pig. The two students who were selected, went up to the model office, and one was told to be the therapist, and the other the client. Todd Henderson was the therapist, and Lilly Petersen was the client. They had a script to follow, and they went through it without a hitch. Then Todd told Lilly, "see my secretary for another appointment and billing."

When class was over, I waited a couple of minutes, and then went and knocked on Dr. Hinckle's office door. He invited me to come in, and have a seat.

"Jean, I asked to see you, because even though I'm not a Gamma Delta alumni, I have still been keeping my eye on you. I just want to know how things are going from time to time, because you have done something nobody else has ever done, except maybe Christine Jorgensen. You seem to be paying very close attention when I give my lectures. That is very good. Also the way you seem to put off others that seem to think they were put here on this earth as a gift. You are one of my top students, and I looked at your high school record and your SAT's. You were in the top of your class then, and you are here too. I have no doubt that you will make a good therapist. What area are you going into?"

"I thought I would go into psychotherapy. I don't want to be a psychiatrist because I don't want to have to put patients on medication, or see if they're ready for the rubber room, as we call it. What I want to do is focus on the client. I want to be able to give them my undivided attention when they are telling me their inner most secrets. Dr. Hinckle, I know for the longest time you were a psychiatrist, and so is Dr. McClellan. But I just don't want to have to deal with all the things psychiatrists have to deal with besides office therapy. When I am a psychotherapist, I only have to worry about the client and his or her problems, and not wondering what kind of medicine the client needs, or if this amount of time or that amount of time in a mental hospital would benefit the patient. I don't want patients, I want clients. Besides, Dr. Hinckle, having clients makes them more relaxed even in an office environment."

"Tell me something Jean, how would you have your office decorated? When we go into practice, even for an HMO (health maintenance organization), we want our offices to reflect a nice atmosphere for the patient/client."

"I would have my office decorated in a home setting. Addie has a rock garden in her office, and she also has very homey curtains as well. Her walls are decorated with paintings, and other things you would find in a home. That's the kind of office I would like to have, because I feel that would make the client very relaxed."

"You're going to make it with an attitude like that. Just one more thing Jean. I have a lot of students that are doing well in my class, but you are in the top three. I just want you to know that it is a real honor to have you as a student."

That was the end of the interview, so I stood up, and thanked him for his time. Pulling up the handle on my carry all, I left the office. I think Dr. Hinckle was going to open the door for me, but he stopped when he saw I already had it open. I went out, and he closed the door behind me. My next stop was Dr. McClellan's class. I wonder what she will lecture on today. Oh well, I enjoyed her class anyway.

As I was walking past her desk, she asked me how things were going, and I said everything was great. Then I added, "they couldn't be better." I sat down, and took out my notebook, and my lesson book. I was ready for psych 101 and Dr. McClellan was just finishing writing something on the blackboard. It said class meeting on Friday. Oh no, that just won't do, Friday I have to be in the hospital for my surgery. I went up to her desk and told her what I had to do on Friday, and she said no biggy, then she changed it to the Friday two weeks from this one. I wondered if that was enough time to actually heal from the procedure Bobbie was going to do. Then Dr. McClellan did something I didn't think she'd do. She changed the meeting time from two weeks from Friday until a month from Friday. She said three to four weeks was enough time to actually heal from that kind of a procedure. Dr. McClellan was like Dr. Hinckle. Both were medical doctors with a PhD in psychology. When they retired from practice they became professors here. Every now and then we would be given assignments for a few days, because sometimes they had to go to the hospital and do surgery. Dr. McClellan said she would even be in the theater part, when I had my final surgeries.

Everybody was seated so I went back to my desk. Dr. McClellan opened her lecture with terminating the session with the client. She called on me and asked me to give an example of closing the session.

"I can see our time is almost up. What do you think we need to accomplish for your therapy goals? Then I would wait for the client to answer, and then I would say something like, all right that ends our time for today. I would like you to become more acquainted with others, and do things. You don't have to become involved in all the details, but just get out and do something, even if it is going to the zoo, or the park, or something. Sitting home is not a very good thing to do. You need to get out." I thanked Dr. McClellan and the class, and then I sat down.

"That was good Jean, but you forgot to tell the client to make a new appointment. But that is all right though because that is why you are here. To learn. Class, in a month from Friday, we are having a class meeting. This meeting is so I can better get to know all of you. I like to think of my class as my family, and I want to see just where everybody is headed in their studies. So a month from Friday then, we have a class meeting. Mark it on your wall calendar, as well as your appointment book, and even in your electronic toys, because this meeting is mandatory. Just copy the information on the board as to place and time. She continued her lecture about ending the session, and she showed a short clip of an in-office session. When that was over, she said she would have an exam on it on Monday, so we had better get to work now on it. We were to write things down that we saw in the movie that we thought we would be tested on. I had already done that, and all I needed to do was review my notes.

After class was over, I stopped by her desk to talk for a few minutes. She told me not to worry because I was in the top three of her class, and not because I was a Gamma Delta, or that my mother was a past president, or that I was transgendered. She told me that I earned every grade I got by hard study and class work. She also said she was very proud of me, because I was a natural for a therapist. I told her the same thing I told Dr. Hinckle, and she said that the whole faculty was looking out for me, even those professors and lay teachers that I didn't have class with. I left her classroom with a feeling of security that I was very well protected here. I know Paul looks out for me, and so do all the sisters at Gamma Delta, but to have the faculty looking out for me too, well, it just gave me a real sense of security.

Speaking of Paul, I almost literally ran into him as I walked out of the psych building.

"Whoa there princess! Where are you going so deep in thought?"

"Huh? Oh! Paul! I'm sorry but I was thinking about what Dr. Hinckle and Dr. McClellan told me when I went to their classes." I related everything they told me to Paul, and he listened to me intently.

"I knew I picked the right girl for me. See princess, you are very well respected and protected here while you go to school. I am always going to be with you, because we are getting married, and we will have a lifetime to enjoy what life can throw at us." Then he pulled me to him and kissed me on my lips. I just melted into his strong arms, and felt like I didn't want him to let me go. I was in the arms of my best friend who is now my fiancé, and I was in seventh heaven. When he let me go, he looked into my eyes. "Come on princess, I'll walk you home. Besides, I want to have lunch with my favorite girl."

"Favorite girl?" I lightly tapped him in the arm. "I hope I am the only girl in your life besides your mother." We both laughed a little, and we were at the Gamma Delta house.

I invited him in, and had him sit down, while I went up to my room, and put my carry all in the corner by my desk, and changed into something pretty. I got out my rose dress, and my black pumps, and I decided that maybe I should just take a shower, and use my perfume soap. I took my bath caddy with because my shower cap was in there as well as all of my lotions and powders. I had four different lotions and four different powders. I took a shower, and washed every inch of myself with the perfumed soap. I wanted to smell heavenly for Paul. After rinsing off, and patting myself with my soft terry cloth towel, I put my underthings on, and then went to get dressed completely. I picked up my rose colored half slip, and then stepped in to my dress. After zipping up the dress, I stood and looked at myself in the mirror. Yuck! My hair needed brushing, and maybe put into a nice set. Something that can be done by a brush and a few clips. I brushed out my hair, and put in a flip style, and fastened it with a silver clip in the back, and two butterfly clips on each side. I was satisfied, so I opened my jewelry armoire and took out my genuine sapphire pendant necklace, and put it on my neck. I was ready to go down to meet Paul.

I didn't know where he was taking me, but I was ready for anything as long as I was with him. Paul was one of those hunks to die for. His arms were huge from lifting weights, and he had the manners and patience of a saint. With all of that and his very good looks, he could have the pick of any girl on campus, or even off for that matter. But he chose me, and all I did was ask him if he would take me to the pledge dance, and he did. Everything seemed to fall in place after that.

"Why so quiet, princess?"

"Paul, you do love me for me. Don't you?"

"Where did that come from? Of course I love you for you. Why do you have to ask? When we were growing up, I just thought you were shy, a little weird too, but just shy. I always loved you, because if I didn't I wouldn't be drawn to you like I am. I love doing things for you, I love the way you dress, I love the way you carry yourself, I love the way you look hurt when you want something, I love everything about you, and you are very well respected here by everyone, including the Gamma Delta sisterhood."

"Well it's just that there are so many natural girls around that you can have, and I was just wondering why you picked me."

"Natural girls, hey. Let me tell you something my sweet princess. You are all the natural girl I need, and for all the reasons I said. Jean, you are very lovely in body and personality. When we were growing up, I always wondered why you had such a girl swing to your hips, and when you ran, you ran...uhm ran...like the natural girls do. You always giggled, never laughed, and you always found the way guys joke with each other to be very distasteful. Whenever we would joke about girls, you always went ewww. Jean you never were just my best friend, you were always my girlfriend. So yes my sweet princess, I love you for you."

I leaned over and gave him a kiss on his cheek, because he was driving. If he hadn't been driving, I would have kissed him on his lips. He sure knows how to make a girl feel calm, relaxed, happy, and pretty. He always compliments me on my clothes, he always tells me how pretty I am, and he always has that natural relaxed way about him, that puts a girl at a disadvantage. Not that I mind, mind you, because I would follow him anywhere.

We ended up in the next town, where they were opening up a new style of restaurant. This one was set up like the buffet restaurants, except you had a waitress. This waitress' name was Daphne, and she was my height, with sun yellow hair. She was very pleasant, and I could see by her face that this wasn't just for work. She was like that away from work too. She took our order, and then told us we could help ourselves, and the salad bar was included. I ordered just the salad bar, and went to get my salad. Of course Paul now, that's a different story. He ordered the hamburger deluxe, that came with everything on the sandwich, like tomatoes, onions, lettuce, two strips of bacon, cheese, and thousand island dressing. He also went to get a salad too. I couldn't help but admire him, because he ate like a man, he acted like a man, and to me he was all man. My man.

When we were finished, we paid the waitress, and we left. Went out to his car and buckled ourselves in. Then he asked me if I wanted to see a movie, and I told him I had class, and that I needed to study tonight. He said all right but he wanted a rain check. I said all right, the week after I have my surgery to hide this gross birth defect. He said that was fine, and wanted to know if he could come over and study with me tonight. I told him men aren't allowed on the second floor, and that I had computer work to do for research. Then he said we could meet in the student library. I told him that would be great. So we set a time for around four thirty to meet.

We got back to the college, and after he had parked his car, he walked me back to the Gamma Delta house, so I could get my carry all with my books in it. He said he would wait for me while I got everything I needed, and he would walk me to class. Then I started to wonder, does he ever go to class? I mean, I see him coming out of class, and I see him in the evening, and sometimes like now, around lunch time. Of course I am not with him, so he must have classes. I giggled at the thought of him paying a tuition only to be near me. I checked myself in the mirror, before grabbing my carry all, and heading downstairs. Paul would have helped me, but guys aren't allowed upstairs.

When we got to the sociology department, Paul said he had to go, and gave me a kiss on my lips, and told me not to forget to meet him at four thirty. I figured four thirty was enough time for me to study, and still make it back to the house in time for the sorority's nightly dinner. I look forward to these dinners, because it gave us a chance to get to know each other better, and gossip about this and that. My class was just as boring as usual, but I was doing very well, so I paid attention. When the class was over, I headed over to the library. I would be way early for our four thirty study meet, but I wanted to get a head start. As I walked in to the library, and went to sit down, I saw Emily. This was a chance meeting, but I was going to seize the opportunity. I went over and sat down by her, and whispered a how was she, and she said fine.

"Emily," I whispered, "I am inviting you to our nightly dinner at Gamma Delta, and I will not take no for an answer. Our dinner is at seven, and I want you to come, and meet the "family".

"Well, I guess if you won't take no for answer, my answer is no. Jean I like you, and you are very well respected on campus. But I can't go to a dinner at a sorority house. First of all, I am not a pledge there, or a sister, and second I am not really sure that a sorority is for me. I'm very much a loner when it comes to keeping company with someone. I thank you for the offer, but no, I can't come."

I whispered back and told her she had to come, because I was cooking tonight, and she just had to taste my delicious meat loaf. She said she liked meat loaf, but she still couldn't come. I asked her if she was afraid we were going to get her to pledge, and she said yes.

"Emily," I whispered, "you can come anyway, and if you don't want to pledge, then don't. What I am saying is, all I am doing is inviting you to dinner."

"But why me?" She whispered back.

"Because I want to show my appreciation for the wonderful service you gave us at the restaurant, when we were there."

"But, that isn't necessary. I just..."

I interrupted her. "Emily, please, it would mean a lot to me if you would come, at least for dinner. It's free and you don't have to cook for yourself, or eat out. Just eat with us."

"You won't try to get me to pledge, if I come?" That was a question.

"No Emily, when we are finished eating, and you want to leave you can. No strings, I promise."

"All right, I'll come. But no strings."

"No strings."

We each went back to our studying, and I was almost finished by the time Paul showed up. I also noticed that he didn't have his books with him, either. He sat down next to me, and I continued the last of my studies for the day. Paul didn't say anything, he just sat there and watched me. The heat in my face told me I was blushing. Why should I blush though, I mean all he is doing is sitting there. Guys sit next to girls all the time. Oh, who was I fooling, of course I'm blushing, and the man watching me is my fiancá¨. I finished my studies for the day, and closed my books. I put them in my carry all, and then I looked up at Paul.

"I thought we were going to study together, Paul. Where are your books?"

"At the dorm. I just wanted to be with you while you studied, but I see that you're finished. Want to go for a walk?"

"I have to cook tonight. I was thinking about making meat loaf. That's what I told Emily I was going to make. I know! You can come too. We can set an extra place. I have to tell Lydia though, and then I can formally introduce you to the sorority as my finacé. Want to come?"

"If I can have dinner with you princess, yes I would love to come."

"Then it's settled. We will have two extra for dinner. I looked up the reason for having the nightly dinner at our sorority. The original founding sisters were like banished from other sororities, so they decided to start one of their own. They felt that if they had dinner together, then they would be able to talk amongst themselves. As the years went on, the nightly dinner just became a tradition to honor the founding sisters, and keep it going as they did. It is five thirty now, so I have to get going. The table is already set, probably."

"Well then, I will walk you home princess, so no evil dragons kidnap you." I giggled, and took his arm. We talked on the way mostly about nothing, and I told him what I had said to Emily, and got her to come to dinner too. It wasn't against sorority rules or bylaws to invite company for dinner, we just had to tell the house president if we invite a man. Telling Lydia was not a problem, because she likes Paul.

When we got inside the house, I told him to sit down in the living room, and I would be back in a few. I went in the kitchen, and put an apron around me, and got out the ground beef. Hmmm, still frozen, so I thawed it out in the microwave, and then put it in a bowl to mix in the ingredients. I liked my meatloaf with onion, garlic, green peppers, a dash of this and a dash of that, and top it off with A-1 steak sauce. That tasted really good. This would be the first time I ever made it for the sisters, but I'm sure they will like it.

Darn it! I forgot to tell Lydia I invited Paul over for dinner. Maybe I can tell her just before we go in to sit down. I continued mixing the ingredients until everything was mixed in, then I oiled a large bread pan, and set the meatloaf in it. I had already preheated the oven to three hundred and seventy five degrees, and it was hot enough. I put the meatloaf in the oven, and set the timer for thirty five minutes.

I went to look for Lydia, and I found her talking to Paul. I went in the living room, and sat down for a bit.

"Lydia, I invited Paul over for dinner tonight, and also Emily. So we will have two extra places at dinner tonight. Ken and I want to see if Emily will pledge the house."

"We have tried girlfriend. I think her iron wall is up, because nobody here has been able to get her to pledge. If you can break that wall down, then you will have done something no one here could. I hope she pledges, because she does need a confidence builder. I mean sure, she works as a waitress, but still, in her private life she is living in a cocoon. We need to bring her out so she can be a beautiful butterfly, and spread her wings. So it is all right with me if Emily and Paul come to dinner. After all, our dinner is a social event."

"Thanks Lydia, I have to get back to the kitchen. I'm making my meatloaf tonight."

"You make good meals, Jean. Everybody has told me how good of a cook you really are. So go to it girl. What else are you making with it?"

"Just green beans, rice, and the rest of the cheesecake from last night."

"Oh, more calories. I'm just joking. You make your meals as you want to."

I went back to the kitchen, and Lydia told Paul she would get him something to drink, and then had to do president things. I looked in the oven to see how the meatloaf was coming along. Just a few more minutes by the timer. So I got the rice cooked, heated the green beans, and dished up the cheesecake. I set everything on the table, and the timer went off for the meatloaf. I took it out of the oven, and set it on a cutting board, then sliced it into as many slices as would be eating. Just as I was finished putting the meatloaf slices on a platter, the doobell rang.

Emily came in the dining room, and I said hi and she just smiled. Yes she sure does need that confidence builder. I showed her where she was sitting, and she sat down. I explained that we said grace before we ate, but we didn't stand for it while it was being said. She didn't say anything, and I let it go. I rang the buzzer that told everybody dinner was ready. Fifteen girls and two guests were eating tonight and there were eighteen slices. I cut an extra one for Paul.

When everybody was seated, I introduced Emily, and then I went over by Paul and introduced him as my fiancé. Everybody said hi, and congrats on being engaged, and then Debbie, our in-house philosopher, said grace. Debbie was just a tad taller than me, with soft brown hair that shined when the light shined on it. Her doe-like brown eyes looked like they were always pleading. She wore everyday fashions from the bargain store, but they were nice though.

Lydia started passing around the meatloaf, and when everybody had their slice, she passed around the rice and the beans. The cheesecake I had already put in front of everybody's place. Milk and coffee were set on the table. We had those carafes they use in restaurants to keep liquids hot or cold. I don't think I got two bites of my dinner, before Emily said that she would not pledge the sorority because she wasn't very good with people.

Misty, one of the cheerleaders, told Emily that she didn't have to be good with people. If she did pledge, she could stay in her room, and nobody would say boo about it. Misty also said that this sorority was for all girls, and it didn't matter if they were shy, or if they were on the squad. Every girl that pledges though, does not necessarily become a Gamma Delta. But most do.

"Let me put it this way, Emily," Misty continued. "Pledging a sorority is like a trial. It is for us to see if you are a Gamma Delta girl, and it is for you to see how we actually live here, and how we do things. So, even if you do pledge, that doesn't mean you have to stay. You can leave as soon as your pledge is over with. When I first pledged here I wasn't even on the varsity squad. It took me a whole semester to get there; and do you want to know why? It's because I was clumsy..." I couldn't believe her, but I was going to let her get Emily to pledge any way she could. "So what I am saying is this. If you pledge Gamma Delta, there will be chores to do, and there will be other things required as well. But like I said, if you still don't think we are for you, then you can leave."

I had to admire Misty, she knew exactly how to pull in a fish. She did very well explaining all of that to Emily. Paul, always the smart aleck, said he would pledge, and we all giggled. I could see Emily was deep in thought. I didn't break my promise, and she was the one who brought it up. So I was going to see where she took this.

"I don't have to stay when my pledge is up? I mean, if I decide to pledge?"

"No Emily," I returned, "you do not have to stay when your pledge time is up."

"Do I have to sign anything to become a pledge?"

"No Emily," Lydia said. "All you have to do is say you will pledge, and we assign you to a shadow, who will monitor how you act. In this sorority, we take being a lady very seriously. Yes, most of the varsity cheerleaders live here, but they are not stuck up, nor do they have a clique. We are an international sorority, with a sisterhood that is all over the world. When your pledge time is up, and you still wish to be a full sister, you will have access to a very big network of sisters past and present. Jean's mother for instance, is a past president of this chapter of Gamma Delta Phi. But even at that though, Jean still had to pledge like any other girl, and do her chores."

"All right, but if I don't like it when my pledge is over, then I am leaving."

"Yes Emily, if you still don't like it here, then you can leave when your pledge is over." I had to say that because I know that when she completes her pledge, she will stay.

"Well this is something I didn't want to do though, but if I can leave after my pledge is up, then I will pledge. But I want it understood though that I will not go in for any hazing, or any of the other things you hear that sororities do."

"Thank you for pledging, Emily. We don't do any kind of hazing here. You will have chores to do, and you will sit at the pledge table when we eat. You will be required to do laundry, but that is only washing the tablecloths, towels, washcloths, and the aprons we use in the kitchen. The chores you will do as a pledge are ordinary household chores. No hazing. Is there anyone who would like to volunteer to be Emily's shadow?"

"I will, Lydia," Debbie raised her hand. "I don't have a roommate, and I will be very happy to be Emily's shadow."

"Then that is settled. Debbie will be your shadow during your pledge. What Debbie will do is report to officers of the house on your conduct, and so will the other girls too. You will be scored on your behavior, your carriage, on how you take responsibility, and how well you do your chores. Debbie will be with you at all times when you are not in class. This is so she can see how well you do. Do you have any questions about what I just said?"

"No."

"All right then, my name is Lydia and I am the president for this chapter of Gamma Delta Phi, and welcome Emily to the Gamma Delta Phi sisterhood. You can move in at any time, and if you need help with your things, just ask, and we will be happy to help you. You will be rooming with Debbie, so that is where you will sleep and do your studies. Does anyone else have anything to say?"

Nobody raised their hand, and we were actually finished with the dinner. Everybody went over to Emily and congratulated her on pledging. Kendra told me after we left the dining room, that it was about time she pledged where she belonged.

up
82 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Sister Emily...

Thank you barbara for the latest chapter, it will be interesting to see if Emily can handle being part of something bigger than her own little world. Time will tell. (Hugs) Taarpa