The Chronicles of Atlantia: A Foreword by Officer Thom "Mara" O'Meara

Printer-friendly version
The Chronicles of Atlantia: A Foreword by Officer Thom "Mara" O'Meara
by Abigail Drew
inspired by Erin Halfelven’s Girlery

--SEPARATOR--

January 26, 2012:

Dear Diary,

Heh, I just had to do that. My name is Thom O’Meara. Though my friends, curse them all, insist on calling me “Mara”. You see, I’m built kind of effeminate, my face, behind my heavy beard, practically screams girl, my finger ratio is 1.1, my skeleton is slight and I’m but 5’3” tall, and the clinchers of all clinchers, I wear women’s size 4 shoes, narrow width! Anyways, to anyone who might someday wind up reading this, you’ll probably dismiss everything that’s happened to me as some sort of strange fiction. And, truth be told, before I came to Atlantia, so would I. Don’t bother trying to look that up by the way, I’ll save you the trouble and tell you flat out that Atlantia doesn’t exist.

Now you’re telling yourself this is DEFINITELY fiction. Afraid not buddy, and if you ever find yourself in the area of... ............ ... what the hell. It erased itself even as I typed it! Well, guess Atlantia doesn’t want me warning potential citizens away.

Well, anyways. Atlantia doesn’t exist in the same way that Atlantis didn’t sink to the bottom of the ocean. In fact, Atlantia was founded by refugees who fled Atlantis even as it was shot out of the sky.

Yes, you heard me: Atlantis sank because it was shot out of the sky. You see, Atlantis was the original city of the Titans. Yes, those Titans. Actually, it was Uranus’ city and home to heroes. You see, Uranus modified many of mankind and gave some of us unique gifts. His modifications were not necessarily for our benefit or harm, he was simply playing around.

His play eventually led to the birth of human magic, in all its forms. Priest crafts wherein the practitioner has a direct link to a “higher being”, necromancy, voodoo, traditional wizardry, superpowers... you name the “abnormal” ability, and it can all be traced back to Uranus and the city of Atlantis.

Anyways, Atlantis wasn’t any normal city on the earth’s surface; it was a flying city, supported by Uranus’ powers. When Cronus castrated Uranus, he fled to Atlantis and sealed the city off.

Later, when Zeus overthrew Cronus and the other Titans, Uranus reopened the city and allowed its citizens to trade with Zeus’ domain, though Uranus himself stayed hidden deep inside the city. He felt safe letting his people trade with Gaian’s, but he didn’t trust that Zeus wouldn’t try killing him outright.

By this time, the people of Atlantis, or Atlanteans as Gaians eventually called them, were well advanced beyond any Gaian comprehension, and even Atlantean science was beheld as “magic” to the simple men who walked the earth.

As Zeus became more and more aware of just how advanced the Atlanteans were, he began to fear them, and instructed Athena to go and investigate. When she returned and recounted a tale that spoke strongly of the presence of an elder God, Zeus became so enraged he sent a massive lightning storm to attempt to destroy Atlantis.

This seemed to have the opposite effect as intended and Atlantis lit up bright as a star, but remained whole. Zeus then forced Hephaestus to cause the entire Atlantic Ocean to erupt its volcanoes at once, in an attempt to disrupt whatever mechanism allowed Atlantis to fly... Atlantis held firm. He then told Poseidon to send a massive tsunami to attempt to submerge Atlantis, but the city merely rose higher in the sky and became even more like a star. It was now night, but Atlantis shone so brightly that the entire earth was covered in light as though it was day. Finally, Zeus turned to his son Apollo, and asked him how the Atlanteans might fall. Apollo, instead of answering in words, simply took up his silver bow, and fired a single shot. The arrow winked out of existence just outside Mount Olympus and Zeus, in a rage, bellowed: “What was that supposed to do, the arrow’s gone!” But with the word “Gone” there came a cry so loud and so piercing as to make the Earth itself tear asunder in grief. It was dawn, and Atlantis was no more.

At least, this was the story told to me by some of the elders of the town, and, considering what I’ve witnessed since coming here, I’m inclined to believe them. Was Uranus killed that night? Or merely severely wounded? How does Atlantia remain hidden today? Even the oldest Atlantians do not know.

Well, enough history lessons, let’s get on to how I came to be writing this in the first place... It all started almost a year back...

--SEPARATOR--

Welp. This is what I have so far, since it's dated AFTER everything else, but is WRITTEN first, and is more of a disconnected history lesson, setting up milieu, I've decided to seperate it out from The Cop, The Villain, and the Wet Work as a seperate foreword.

As mentioned multiple times, this is to be a light-hearted serial written from Officer "Mara's" perspective, and is entirely inspired by Erin's Girlery. This foreword is entirely my own invention, much of the story will be my own, but Wet Work is where my main character originally came from. Other characters will be based on other Girlery captions. I'm planning to have some simple fun with this, nothing in it is going to be very thoroughly researched.

up
69 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

looks really cool

I anxiously await more.

DogSig.png

Interesting!

I would like to see more when you have it written. :)
Hugs
Grover

Hoping to have more...

By the end of next week I'm hoping to be able to push "The Cop, the Villain, and the Wet Work" out.

I'm going to try to make this a weekly serial for a while, but we'll see if I can hold to that. Might be Bi-Monthly.

Abigail Drew.

Looks like a good start.

For a really interesting story. Hope to see more.

Maggie

Currently... no...

I haven't read the Ovid series, so I couldn't know enough about The Professors universe's rules to even attempt a link if I wanted to, and really, I've kinda imagined Atlantia as its own secret little place that doesn't go out of its way to change people, but it just sorta tends to happen. A lot. Consequence of having a very high percentile of superhumans vs "normals".

Atlantia is NOT easy to get to, but if you find yourself there, you'll never be able to leave. Period.

No one in Atlantia (at least, among the good guys...) are going to intentionally change someones gender or anything else, but accidents tend to happen. And supervillains will.

The way I have imagined Atlantia is that it's the second Atlantis, all the people who fled Atlantis settled there, and in -MY- universe, it's the only town of superhumans in the world. Anyone with latent superhuman abilities are eventually drawn there.

Abigail Drew.

An interesting series

I'm looking forward to this series.