Somewhere Else Entirely -32-

Printer-friendly version

As the day of the festival approaches the palace begins to fill up with noble guests. A chance encounter means that Garia faces a challenge unlike any she has come across so far.

Somewhere Else Entirely

by Penny Lane

32 - Meet the Neighbors


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2011-2017 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



"I really don't believe this mess," said an exasperated Merizel. "How on Anmar can anyone let a room get into this state? Maker! I thought the problem was just going to be the dust everywhere, I didn't reckon on him never ever having filed anything!"

"Not quite true," Keren said from the other side of the Royal Questor's study. "There's a whole pile of letters wedged up on this shelf here. I think he might have made an effort at the start, even if he gave up later on."

"That's what happens," Garia told them, "if you have a very important job and you are too secretive to allow anyone to help you do it. Master Morlan should very definitely have had a secretary."

She would have given an appreciative smile at Merizel, but since they all had scarves tied over their faces there wouldn't have been much point.

"More letters, Keren?" she asked him. "Didn't he throw anything away at all?"

"Doesn't look much like it," the Prince replied grumpily. "Makes our job that much harder though."

"The alternative could be much worse," she pointed out. "He could have left us very little, and then we'd just be scratching our heads trying to figure out what he'd been up to. As it is, I think I'd rather have too much evidence than too little, at least we can build up some kind of picture of his interests and so on."

"As you say, Garia." But Keren didn't sound convinced.

Jenet came through the door carrying a tray with a pot and five mugs.

"Pel, Highness, Milady, Mistress."

"Oh, great, Jenet!" Garia put down the fluffy duster she had been wielding and carefully climbed down the step-ladder. "One can only do so much dusting at a time. Even with these scarves on, my throat is as dry as anything."

It was their first morning session. After the last day's training Garia had given her 'file' two days off before starting the serious business of getting ready for the festival, and she and the others had taken the opportunity to try and get ahead with the job of cleaning and cataloging the contents of Morlan's study.

Jenet had acquired some rectangular wicker baskets which they were using to roughly sort the documents as they cleaned them, one for correspondence, one for anything that seemed connected with the Society of Questors, one for Morlan's own scientific notes and a fourth for everything else. The fourth basket was alarmingly full and it was clear that it would take Keren and Merizel, the only two who could read the documents, some time to determine exactly what a lot of it actually was.

"That's better!" Garia said as she lowered the mug. "My throat was really dry."

"Here's another one, Keren," Merizel said, holding a scroll out for him to take. "There are many more of these on the upper shelves than we realized."

He took the scroll and very carefully attempted to unroll it, stopping at the first sign of resistance. The first couple they had tried had crumbled or cracked as the dried-out parchment failed under finger pressure and they had soon stopped as they realized they were destroying the very things they were trying to save.

"These are going to be difficult to open," he said to Garia. "If we can't open them..."

"I know," she replied. "Those scrolls on the higher shelves are going to be the oldest and driest, aren't they? I bet they've been cooked over the years from the fires lit in winter and from the lamps used at night. Hot air rises, you know."

"If we can't open them, we can't read them," Keren pointed out. "We can't find a date or find out what they were. Suppose, suppose we just cut them into slices," he suggested. "We could read them then, even if we have to transcribe them onto fresh sheets."

Garia shook her head. "No, there's not much point doing that till we know if it is worth it or not. What we need to do is put them in a humid atmosphere, let the parchment relax." She grinned now, as they all had lowered their scarves to drink. "The answer's obvious, isn't it? You keep telling me the rains are coming, and they'll last two months or so, so why don't we leave the job of reading these scrolls until then? I'm sure the air will be damper, and we should be able to unroll them then, won't we?"

Keren smiled. "Another bright idea! Aye, you're right, as usual." He frowned. "I've already asked Terevor to send someone over to look at these windows, Morlan apparently never opened them the entire time he lived in these rooms. With the windows slightly open, enough moisture should get in without everything becoming so damp things start to go moldy."

"Which is strange," Garia said, "because the windows in the laboratory open fairly freely."

"That's because he used to do all kinds of experiments in there," Keren explained. "He had to open the doors and windows to let the smoke and noxious smells out."

Garia walked over to the blackboard and started wiping it clean.

"Would one of you care to write down your numbers for me? Quite a few of the documents I've picked up seem to have dates at the top. If I can recognize those, I can at least start to help you make some sense out of all this."

"That's a good idea," Keren said, stepping forward. "You'll write your own numbers underneath, I suppose?" She nodded. "Then I'll write the names of the months as well, including some of the commonly used abbreviations. Just sorting the contents of these baskets into order will help greatly."

"There's room, you might as well put your letters there as well," she said. "I have to start coming to grips with your writing, now's about the time to start, isn't it?"

There were thirteen regular months, which were referred to either by month number or by a short or long name. Keren explained that the months corresponded exactly with the cycles of Kalikan, which meant that the last month of the year always carried over to the beginning of the next except on rare occasions. The alphabet had thirty-five letters, of which eleven were vowels. Garia discovered that vowels with short sounds were written differently than those with long sounds and constructs like 'th' 'sh' and 'ch' had their own letters but otherwise there was a reasonable one-to-one correspondence with the English alphabet. Underneath those that Keren had written in a neat hand she added the Latin equivalents, and he regarded them closely.

"Your letters look interesting," he said. "Perhaps, one day, you could teach me a little of your tongue."

"As you wish, Keren, but I don't really see the point. We would be the only two people in the entire world who would be able to speak it."

"Not necessarily," he said. "You forget, you are already introducing words from your own tongue into ours with some of the ideas and inventions you tell us about. It may be that if a few of us learn your tongue it could be easier for us to understand the background to what you tell us." He grinned at her. "Besides which, some of us like a challenge. It could be useful, too. Being able to speak in a tongue that no-one else understands might one day be a life-saver," he added. "Just like being able to fight in a style no-one else knows."

"You may be right," she reluctantly agreed, "but I don't think it will come very high on my list of priorities for a good while."

"True. Just don't forget I suggested it, that's all."

Some time later, Bursila held up a folded sheet of parchment. "I keep finding these," she complained. "Why would he fold up unused sheets of parchment like this? I would think it would make it harder to write on them if they are creased."

"He must have had odd scraps that he kept," Keren said. "We'll start another basket for unused sheets, maybe we can find a use for them some time."

"Whoa," Garia said, "wait a moment. Where exactly did you find those, Bursila?"

"There was a small box full of them right at the back of the central shelf of the desk. I only noticed them as I was reaching to the back with my dusting stick."

Keren looked at Garia uncomprehendingly.

"There are ways to hide messages on apparently blank sheets of paper or parchment," she explained. "Didn't you know that?"

"No, I didn't," he replied. "How is that possible?"

"Instead of using ink you would use another liquid which dries transparent. Something like a fruit juice, on our world. To read the message, you hold the sheet over heat and the text turns brown."

"Really? I didn't know such things were possible. What do we do, then?"

"Jenet, go and find me one of those oil lamps, please, one with a glass chimney. We'll need one with oil in and a fire-lighter."

They set the lamp on the now-cleared desk and lit it, then trimmed it so that there was no smoke coming out of the top. Garia held the sheet over the chimney and gently waved it about, shifting her grip so that her fingers didn't get burned. Slowly, symbols began to darken on the sheet. When she removed it from the lamp the marks faded rapidly until she was once again holding a blank sheet.

"You're going to have to read this while I hold it over the lamp," Garia said, "and copy it onto a fresh sheet. I don't know how many times we can do this with the same document before it either gives up or catches fire."

"I didn't recognize any of those symbols," Keren said. "They don't look like our letters at all."

"Some kind of code," Garia said. "That makes it even harder to work out what they are, because they needn't be normal language at all. A symbol could stand for an entire word."

"This makes it certain that Morlan was a traitor," he said. "I'll have to let Father know."

"Not necessarily," she said, shaking her head. "These may just have been secret correspondence between Questors for all we know." Her shoulders slumped. "Another headache. Well, at least we don't have to crack this one ourselves. I'm sure we can find a small group of scribes or some such who can handle this work discreetly. After all, it's not as if there aren't codes in use in Alaesia already, is it? I remember Tanon mentioning commercial codes when we talked about the new semaphore system."

"You are right again," he agreed. "Very well, we'll collect them and put them to one side, arrange for someone to tease out the messages later, if they can."

They worked until the fifth bell and then decided that they had had enough. Spending all morning cleaning was a much longer chore than the short after-nap sessions they had previously managed.

"If you come back with me," Merizel said as they tidied their equipment away, "I have a child's lettering book I could lend you." She gave an apologetic smile. "It's old and a little tattered and has been handed down through the family, and I still have it only because I am the youngest, but you are welcome to borrow it. It should make you more familiar with our letters."

"The letters are only the start but thank you, I will borrow it. Of course, I have to start learning the names of things as well. Up till now when I look at something the English name of it comes into my head, that's assuming that it's something I can recognize, of course."

"What do you mean?" Merizel frowned. "Doesn't everything look familiar?"

"Yes and no, as always. People and buildings and clothes and equipment I can mostly name, because they are the same or very similar to what we have on Earth. But the animals and plants," Garia shook her head, "I haven't a clue. Nothing I have eaten since I came here, for example, resembles anything from Earth in the slightest. I've learned one or two names, of course, but that's only because I've heard people asking to pass the dish with such-and-such on it. Otherwise," she shrugged, "I have no idea."

"How does that work, then?" Keren asked. "You seem to speak the local tongue quite well, although with an odd accent."

"I'm not really sure. I think in English, or at least I think I do," she grinned, "but when I open my mouth to speak something strange happens and what comes out is in your tongue. There's some kind of automatic translation going on somehow. The same thing happens in reverse when you talk to me. My ears hear your words, and I can kind of understand that they make sense, but what my mind hears is English. There's a very useful side effect to this, in that if I say a word and it's not known in your tongue, the English comes out instead. That means that I know instantly if a particular concept or device is known here already."

"Clever."

"Yes, but I think I'd rather learn the local tongue properly, especially if I'm going to be spending the rest of my life here. It may happen by itself - it doesn't feel the same as when I first came here - but just speaking the language won't automatically teach me to read it. So, I'll borrow the book and start learning whenever I can spare a few moments."

Keren changed, Jenet locked the door behind them and they set off for the guest quarters. After a short while Keren left them to go directly to his own suite and the four women carried on towards the Cerise Chamber. As they turned the corner into the corridor two running young girls collided with Garia, knocking her over. The others scattered as the girls yelled a "Sorry!" after them and ran giggling round the corner out of sight. Behind them ran two older boys and an older girl, all with big grins on their faces seemingly chasing the younger pair. As Garia climbed to her feet one of the boys pushed her out of the way and she fell over again.

"Hey! Watch where you're going!"

The boy who had pushed her skidded to a halt. "You should have gotten out of the way of your betters, girl." He turned towards her. The boy and girl with him stopped to watch.

"There was no need to push me over again," Garia said crossly as she stood up, "you could see I was trying to get up."

"You were in my way," he said, "that's reason enough."

"Don't they teach you manners where you come from?" she said, looking up at him.

He sneered at her. "Watch your tongue, girl, or I'll have you flogged. You don't speak to a noble that way."

Merizel had realized that trouble was brewing, and although she stood well out of the way, she tried to avert the inevitable conflict.

"Garia, No! Remember -"

"I don't know who you are," Garia said, "or what you're doing here, but this is my home and I'll talk to people how they deserve, not how they think they deserve."

"Why, you little -" He stepped forwards and swung his arm, intending to land an open-handed slap on Garia's face for impertinence. Garia, of course, had forgotten that all four of them were still wearing the servants' cleaning gear.

What happened next was pure reflex. Garia didn't even realize that it had happened until it was all over. She spun inside the descending hand and, with the boy's arm now over her right shoulder, grabbed it and heaved. The boy barely had time to be surprised by the sudden turn of events before he sailed over her hip into the air, slamming against the corridor wall and sliding to the floor in a heap.

Garia immediately stepped away, saw that the boy was dazed and not an immediate danger so went into a ready stance against the other boy. The older girl gave a scream and the two younger girls, aware that something had gone wrong, skidded back around the corner of the intersection to stare open-mouthed at the scene. The other boy had drawn his breath in a hiss and pulled a dagger from his belt, waving it in front of him, uncertain of what had just happened.

A clattering announced the arrival of Garia's two 'shadow' guardsmen around the corner at the other end of the corridor. They saw the scene and ran forwards, lowering their spears as they did so.

"Ah, good!" The boy with the knife said loudly to them. "Seize that servant, she has assaulted the Lord Marlin!"

Much to his surprise, one of them put his spear point on the fallen boy's diaphragm while the other aimed his spear at him.

"Sorry, My Lord, but our instructions are to protect the Mistress Garia, and that we will do whoever you might be."

The boy on the floor attempted to get up, finding a guardsman standing over him with a spear point touching his chest.

"My Lord," the other guardsman said, "Best you stay there, or I'll have to do something we'll both regret."

Marlin took in the scene and sank back down, deciding that now might not be the best time to assert his rights.

The standing boy took in Garia's stance and the hackles began to rise on the back of his neck. He was holding a knife, and he was twice the size she was, yet she showed no fear of him at all. She had just thrown Marlin, a feat he would have considered impossible, now she stood there, daring him to do something! Worse, the guardsmen who had arrived seemed to be on her side, not his! What on Anmar was going on?

Merizel stepped forward, pulled off her headscarf and curtseyed. She, too, was a noble, and she had realized right away that she and Garia had been taken for servants.

"My lord," she said, "I am Lady Merizel, daughter of Baron Kamodar of South Reach, and this is Mistress Garia, lately of Kansas. We have been engaged on a special cleaning task, which is why we are dressed as servants. I'm sure the mistake was unintentional."

The boy lowered his knife point halfway and stared at Garia. "Is this true?"

"It is all true, My Lord," Garia replied. "Who are you, if I may ask?"

The knife point twitched at the blunt request but he answered, "I am Count Terinar, son of Duke Gilbanar of North Palarand." He waved his other hand over his shoulder. "This is my sister Korizet. He," he pointed to the boy on the floor, "is Count Marlin, son of Visselen, Duke of Brikant. Oh, and those two are his sisters Dalenna and Terissa. What kind of cleaning job is it that requires the daughter of a baron and a freewoman to do it? Are not servants adequate?"

"We clean the office of Master Morlan, lately Royal Questor of Palarand, lately murdered." Terinar's eyes widened as Merizel continued, "Only we and Prince Keren understand his writings well enough to attempt the task."

Terinar shook his head. "I understand none of this. I see four women dressed as servants, one of whom has assaulted a noble and threatened..." He became aware of the fact that it was he who held the knife and he who threatened an apparently defenseless woman and continued, "Ah, never mind that. Where is someone in authority who can solve this puzzle?"

Garia looked at Merizel. "Keren?"

Merizel shook her head. "He'll be bathing and changing before lunch." She looked unhappy. "I don't want to get the King or Queen involved." Everybody in the corridor became very still at the mention of royalty. "What about Captain Bleskin?"

"He'll still be down at the practice field, I think. Too far away to fetch in a hurry."

"Hey! What about me?" Marlin called. "Can I get up?"

Garia turned her head. "Tobin, let him stand up. He can come and join... Terinar, is it?"

"As you wish, Mistress," Tobin replied, plainly not liking the idea.

Marlin staggered to his feet, righted his tunic and pushed past Jenet and Bursila to stand beside Terinar.

"Lord Terinar, do you remember me?" Jenet said, removing her headscarf. "I am Jenet, and I certainly remember you from previous visits."

"Jenet? Why yes, I do!" His eyes narrowed. "You can vouch for these others?"

"My Lord, Lady Merizel resides in the Cerise Chamber yonder, and Mistress Garia, whose personal maid I now am, resides in the suite that used to belong to Princess Elizet. Everything they have said to you is true. You may ask the King himself when we assemble for lunch."

Terinar relaxed his stance and returned his blade to its scabbard. Marlin, on the other hand, was still upset from being thrown.

"You're telling me that this girl, this Garia, resides in the household corridor? What nonsense is this?"

"My Lord," Jenet replied, "I can only suggest that you ask the King himself about the household arrangements he has chosen."

The answer plainly did not satisfy Marlin, who glared at them all.

"Will you leave us go about our business?" Merizel asked the two boys. "We must needs change before lunch."

Terinar waved a gracious hand. "As you wish, Milady."

"Come on." Merizel turned and walked towards her chamber door. Garia beckoned to the two guardsmen to follow, leaving the group of five young persons watching them with mixed expressions. The guardsmen stopped and positioned themselves either side of the door while the rest entered.

Marlin spun to face Terinar. "Are you going to just let them walk off like that? After what she did to me?"

"Calm down, Marlin," Terinar said, disapproval plain on his face. "Remember, we're guests in someone else's palace, you've no business chastising someone else's servants. They aren't going far, in any case. If the maid Jenet is telling the truth, which I believe she is, then they all live here in the palace and you'll get your chance to voice your complaint. If instead they are just palace servants acting above their station, then that will soon be found out, won't it?"

"I've known Jenet for years," Korizet added. "I can't imagine she would dare tell us lies." She tried unsuccessfully to hide a smirk. "Besides, do you really want it known by all the world that a girl half your size threw you? Best keep quiet, Marlin."

Marlin flushed. "Keep quiet? Perhaps, but I'll not let a slip of a girl like that get the better of me. If she lives here, our paths will cross again, and I'll make sure the debt is paid in full."

Inside the chamber Merizel let out a big breath.

"Whew! That was tricky. Why oh why did they have to come along just then? A moment or two later and we'd have been safe in here. Now you've started another battle, Garia."

"Don't I know it," Garia said ruefully. "I must thank you for getting us out of that mess, I wouldn't have known what to do. I gather from what you're saying is those people are here to stay?"

Merizel nodded. "For at least until after the festival. There's usually one or two of the dukes join the King at the city's festival. Every so many years the King returns the favor, traveling to take the festival with the dukes instead. When they travel some or all of their children come with them. Looks like it's the palace's turn this year."

Garia rolled her eyes. "So, we've got to put up with teenage boys -"

"and girls," Merizel put in as Bursila started disrobing her.

"- and girls roaming around the palace for about a week. We'll get nothing more done, will we?"

Merizel shrugged, earning a reproving glance from Bursila who was trying to remove the cleaning dress. "Festival is only two more days, we'll not get much done in any case. Everyone else is going to be distracted anyway."

"As you say." Garia looked tense. "Do you mind, I think I'll stay with you until you've changed, then we'll all go along to my suite. At the moment, it seems there's safety in numbers."

"Certainly. Make yourself comfortable while I bathe. I'll try to be quick."

She hurriedly washed and changed, and as Bursila put the finishing touches to her mistress's day gown Merizel caught Garia looking at her left hand.

"Your hand! Did you use it, before?"

"Yes, I did," Garia said, turning it over. "I did it without thinking, the whole thing was completely automatic. It's just as well it has about healed or I'd never have managed to throw him at all." She flexed the fingers. "Hmm. There's a little touch of something, like an old bruise perhaps, but I'd say it was okay for me to start using it again." She started at a thought. "Huh! I was using it all this morning up and down that step-ladder and I never thought about it once."

"I'm pleased about that," Merizel said. "Looks like you might need all your abilities in the coming days."

"As you say, Merizel."

Later, walking through the corridors towards Garia's suite, she said, "Tell me about those five. What connection are they, how old and so on."

"Terinar is the son of Gilbanar, who is the King's younger brother, which makes him Keren's cousin," Merizel explained. "Terinar's actually the oldest of this generation, I think he's three years older than Keren. Lady Korizet is, I think, a year older than Keren and of course is also a cousin. Now, Marlin is the son of the Duke of Brikant, which if you remember became Upper Palarand. He's about the same age as Korizet. The twins, his sisters, are about twelve, I think." Her eyes narrowed as she tried to remember. "I must take time to make sure I properly learn all these facts. When I was growing up I never imagined that I would be mixing with the very top of Palarand's nobility."

"You and me both," Garia said. "You won't know, of course, but do you think any more will be coming to stay?"

"No idea at all," Merizel replied. "I don't have any knowledge of the kind of arrangements Kings and Dukes are likely to make, I'm afraid."

"It was a silly thing for me to ask, wasn't it? We'll just have to wait and see."

Garia reached her room without incident and Merizel waited until Garia bathed and found something more appropriate to wear. In one of her favorite day gowns she waited patiently while Jenet brushed her newly clean and lightly-oiled hair before turning to Merizel with a strange look on her face.

"What do you think? Do I look all right to you?"

"You look like you always do," Merizel told her, "Much prettier than me. Why the concern, all of a sudden? You aren't usually bothered about... Oh. Company."

"Yes," Garia said, diffident. "There's only you, me, Keren and maybe Sardan of our age living in the palace normally, and now there's all these lords and ladies turn up. How am I supposed to know how to behave towards them, Merizel? I don't even know if they are going to approve the clothes I wear, do I? After all, everything I have came out of the palace store and could be well out of date fashion-wise for all I know. I don't know how to address anyone except Kings, Queens and Princes and I already know all those, don't I? Another thing, I don't suppose those boys and girls came here on their own, did they? If their parents are here, do we have to bow and scrape to them? What do I call them?"

"Oh, Garia, I didn't realize how difficult this would be for you, I'm sorry. Of course you wouldn't know any of this, how could you? I don't think you need worry too much, though. Everyone will know from your accent that you aren't from anywhere near, so they will make allowances for you if you don't call them by the right titles. 'My Lord' and 'My Lady' is good enough for most purposes, or 'Milord' or 'Milady' once you start talking to them. If the Dukes are here, then you address them and their wives as 'Your Grace'. And there's nothing wrong with either your gown or your appearance, apart, possibly, from your hair, but that's deliberate in any case."

"Are you sure?"

Merizel gave her a look of satisfaction. "Yes, I am. I may be ignorant of much that happens in the palace or with many of the topics you talk about with the Guildsmen but if there's one thing I have known from birth then it's how to behave around nobility. You'll do fine, especially with Jenet and I beside you. Are you ready, now?"

The four of them, now correctly attired according to station, left the suite and made their way down to the dining room to find it bare and empty.

"Oh! Silly us! Of course, if they have visitors, we'll be dining in the Receiving Room, won't we?"

"Just so, Mistress," Jenet confirmed, and led the way through to the large chamber where all Robanar's official duties were performed. Across the huge room the five newcomers stood, and when Garia's party entered the room Korizet came across to greet them.

"Milady, Mistress," she said. They all exchanged curtseys. "I see from your attire that you really are who you claim to be," she continued. "I ought to apologize for Marlin's behavior, but I find I am unable to. We encounter each other infrequently these days, which is perhaps just as well. He was reasonable to be with when we were all younger but he seems to have become more difficult lately. I should warn you, Mistress," she spoke directly to Garia, "that I believe he means to repay you the favor, so be on your guard. There is something about boys of his age that makes them somewhat unpleasant, isn't there?"

Merizel and Garia exchanged a look that did not go un-noticed. Korizet frowned.

"What, is there something I'm missing, Mistress? Will you confide in me?"

Garia sighed. "There is a long story which will explain much to you. You may already have heard rumors about me, or someone in the palace at any rate, most of which are just plain wrong. The truth is much stranger and there is no reason I shouldn't tell you most of it. But not now, if you please. Perhaps this evening. Ask a footman to bring you to Mistress Garia's suite."

Korizet's eyes widened. "So it was true, then! You really do live with the royal household. But how -"

"Trouble approaches," Merizel put in quickly, under her breath, as the other young people walked over.

"Milady, Mistress." More bowing and bobbing.

"I cannot comprehend your presence here, Mistress," Terinar said, going straight to the point.

"I agree, My Lord," she replied. "I cannot comprehend it myself, and yet here I am."

This statement just confused Terinar even more, and while he was trying to think of something suitable to say Marlin butted in.

"If you were not a girl I would demand satisfaction!"

Garia raised an eyebrow. "For what, My Lord? As I recall, it was you who pushed me over in the first place, and you who then tried to assault me."

"I saw only servants who were in my way," he half-snarled. "At home, servants know better than to stand in the middle of corridors when I'm about."

"I didn't even know you were in the palace," she replied mildly. "And if I had, my behavior would have been no different." Her expression hardened. "However, now that I do know, if you try that again, I'll knock you down again, depend on it."

Marlin reddened, but Terinar spoke first.

"Marlin, this is not the best time for this discussion. Withdraw, if you please. Ah, Keren approaches."

Keren, a smile on his face, joined the group and they all bowed or curtseyed to him.

"Welcome to Palarand, friends! It's been a while since we last met, hasn't it? A lot has happened here since then and we all have stories to tell each other. I see you've met Mistress Garia and her secretary Lady Merizel. They've been the source of much change in the palace since you were last here."

"Wait a moment," Terinar said slowly, "Lady Merizel is Mistress Garia's secretary? Just what on Anmar is going on here?"

Keren, Garia and Merizel grinned at his confusion, and there was a twinkle in his eye when Keren replied, "You have no idea, Terinar, no idea at all."

Marlin muttered, "Highness, we passed in the corridor earlier and she got in my way. I thought she was a servant and I remonstrated with her. She threw me, Highness."

"What?" Keren looked at Garia to explain.

"On our way back from Morlan's study," she said. "We had just about reached Merizel's chamber when these all appeared. He was chasing these two." She indicated the twins. "He pushed me out of the way and objected when I complained about his manners. You can probably guess the rest."

Keren nodded. "You hadn't yet changed, I take it?" She shook her head, and he rolled his eyes. "Garia, you just seem to attract trouble, don't you? More bruises?"

"Not on me," she said. "He'll probably have some."

A loud noise was Kendar pounding his staff of office on the floor as Robanar and Terys swept into the room. While they had been talking the room had filled, and Robanar immediately strode to a tall waiting figure and embraced him.

"Gil! It's good to see you again. Did you have a good journey? And Vivenne. I trust you are still looking after my brother?"

Once released from the King's clutches both Duke and Duchess of North Palarand made their obeisance to their monarch. Vivenne smiled at Robanar.

"Aye, Sire, the road south was pleasant today. Not so hot and there is more cloud in the sky. As for this oaf," she poked Gilbanar in the ribs with an elbow, "he continues to eat half the crop. It's a wonder the rest of your subjects keep from starving!"

Gilbanar grinned at his older brother. "Got to keep up my strength, Rob. Those miners and iron-makers are a tough lot to manage. You know how it is. Ah!" Gilbanar bowed again as the Queen approached. "Your Majesty, radiant as ever."

She smiled at him. "All flattery gratefully received, Gilbanar."

Robanar turned to a tall, dark man who had been conversing with Gilbanar.

"Visselen, old friend. I'm glad you could make it this year."

"As you say, Your Majesty."

The two shook hands, and Robanar asked, "What of Sindenna? Staying with the youngsters this year?"

Visselen nodded. "Aye, Sire. Torzon has some slight fever, she thought it best not to risk the journey."

"What are they? Six now?"

"Seven, Sire, these last five months. Time passes so quickly when you have youngsters, it seems. Your Majesty," Visselen turned to Terys. "I have messages from Sindenna, as you might expect. I shall pass them on in private, if you so desire."

"As you wish, Your Grace."

Robanar cleared his throat to attract attention and all eyes in the room turned towards him.

"Before we sit to eat, I have an announcement to make to those who have joined us for this year's festival. We have a new addition to the royal household, a young woman recently arrived in Palarand in strange circumstances, whom we have taken under our protection. She is Mistress Garia, the shorter girl standing next to Prince Keren." Garia curtseyed to the room. "As she is not yet come of age, we have formally adopted her, and she resides with us within the royal household. She is not from Palarand, not from Alaesia or even from Anmar at all but from somewhere else entirely, another world we know not where. She possesses unusual knowledge and abilities and enjoys the fullest confidence of the Queen and myself. Even though she is presently styled Mistress, you should treat her as though she were one of my own daughters."

Robanar smiled at Garia, and she knew that he wished that it were really so, and she felt a comfortable glow inside. Gilbanar and Vivenne looked at her with interest, Terinar and Korizet with surprise and Marlin with complete fury. Terys walked over to join the group.

"Marlin, mind your manners," she told him bluntly. "You are a guest in my palace, and I'll not put up with your bad behavior, do I make myself clear?"

He flushed and bowed. "Yes, Your Majesty."

"Garia, I don't need to tell to look after yourself, you're more than capable of doing that in any case. But I will tell the rest of you that if any harm comes to her, you'll answer to me, do you all understand? There are more important things happening in Palarand these days than your petty squabbles. We've already had one unpleasant incident in the palace and I won't stand for any more."

There was a chorus of subdued, "Yes, Ma'am" from her audience, and Terys's mood lightened.

"As most of you know, when there are a group of you together like this we customarily give you your own table, and so it is again this year. Keren, you will be head as usual?"

"As you wish, Mother."

Keren gestured with a hand and the youngsters moved towards a table set parallel with the main one, a matching one being visible on the other side. As the nominal table head Keren sat in the middle with Garia on his right side and Merizel on his left. Korizet faced Keren, while Terinar sat opposite Garia and Marlin opposite Merizel. The twin girls Dalenna and Terissa were placed either side of Marlin and Terinar while the rest of the table was made up from household officials from all parties. Garia saw that the other extra table was headed by Captain Bleskin and most of those around him seemed to be wearing uniforms of one kind or another.

As everybody sat down following the King and Queen and the servants began setting out the first dish, Marlin held up his fork.

"What is this? I have never seen such a thing before. What am I supposed to do with it?"

Keren told him, "It is called a fork. You may do what you wish with it, but in the palace we use them to help us eat our food."

Marlin flushed at the rebuke and put the fork down.

Why do you imagine the things were put on the table, dummy? Garia thought. Oh, this could turn out to be a wonderful meal, couldn't it? I wonder what his beef is. Of course, he's just a teenager, isn't he? Now I'm getting to see male teens from a different point of view. Oh, God, was I like that?

Terinar and Korizet left their forks alone, watching Garia, Keren and Merizel carefully until they had worked out how they were used. Then they picked them up and began carefully and clumsily using them. Marlin used his to stab a purple sprout-like vegetable and put it in his mouth.

"I suppose they have their uses," he said with his mouth still full. Swallowing, he asked, "Who had this wonderful idea, anyway? We manage to eat our food perfectly well without them."

Korizet, without moving her head, gave Garia an enquiring glance. Garia replied with an imperceptible nod.

"You are right, Marlin, but it is so much easier with them," Keren said. "A lot less messy too. "

"Yes, these do make a difference, don't they?" Terinar agreed. "So simple and so obvious, when you think about it, yet we never knew them before. Where did you say they came from?"

"As to the origin," Keren replied, "we have Mistress Garia to thank for their introduction."

Marlin's gaze switched to Garia. "You use these where you come from, girl? And don't give me any nonsense about another world, there is no such thing. The Great Convocation proved that many years ago."

Keren put down his knife and fork. "You name your King a liar?" he said quietly. "Be very careful where you tread, Marlin."

Marlin flushed, but he curled his lip as he said, "I meant no disrespect, Highness. It seems to me that it is not just me who is mistaken, that is all."

The meal continued in an uneasy silence. Garia could tell that Korizet was bursting to ask questions but was afraid that Marlin might seize on anything said to stir up more trouble. Gary had known people like that at school, boys - and girls - who were sure that their opinion was the only right one, who would contradict anyone that held a differing viewpoint. People who would disagree on a point of principle. The same people who were usually spoilt sons, gay-haters, rednecks, fundamentalist Christians or sometimes a mixture of the above.

She looked at those seated across the table as she ate, taking in their appearance properly for the first time. Terinar was about the same size and build as Keren even though he was three years older. He shared a resemblance to Keren, not surprising since their fathers were brothers. Korizet also shared the resemblance, but it was clear that she and her brother had gotten their looks from Gilbanar while Keren looked more like his mother than Robanar. Korizet was as tall as Merizel but much better looking and with a more classic feminine body shape. Her long hair was several shades lighter than that of her male relatives.

Marlin, however, was noticeably different. He was slightly shorter than Terinar, but much more solidly built, with a square face framed by almost-black hair. The hair was evident on his face, too, where he had the showing of a fierce five-o'clock shadow, unusual for one so young. His twin sisters, quietly eating on either side, were completely different. Their figures were thin though still reasonably athletic given their age and their hair was a light brown verging on a dark blond. Their complexions were pale and both had extremely lively expressions, although neither had said a word so far.

Marlin could be tricky to deal with in all our futures, she thought. He's going to be the next Duke of Brikant, after all, one of the three Dukes who hold chunks of Palarand under Robanar. Or Keren, come to that. I do hope this is just a phase he's going through or we'll have trouble. Keren knows that, of course, but I'm guessing Marlin will use me to start a fuss any time he can get the opportunity.

Hmm. I can't marry Keren, but I suspect that I could end up being eligible to marry one of these dukes' sons. From the King's point of view that would be just perfect, as I'd have a reasonable title and position and not be too far away from his court. Marlin's out, of course. No way in Hell would I share a bed with him. Ever. If it were the last bed on Earth and he was the last man. Terinar? I don't know enough to make a judgment yet, this is only the second time our paths have crossed. Of course, any or all of these might already have made other arrangements.

God, this is cold-blooded! It's nothing at all like going to the movies or a club or a party or just hanging out with the guys, getting to know each other till you find the one who's Just Right. It's more like a stock market, and by stock I mean cattle. Whatever happened to romance?

"Your hair," Korizet said to Garia. "It is most unusual. Have you had an accident, or perhaps an illness? Or is this a normal style where you come from?"

Garia swallowed a mouthful of bread and replied, "It's partly practical, but short hair is indeed normal where I come from. It's not all shaped exactly the way I have it, though. We can talk about hair later, if you'd like." She paused. "I'm not sure what your arrangements are, though."

Korizet smiled. "The boys will join a meeting of the King and the Dukes after the afternoon nap. I understand that the Duke of Kendeven will be arriving sometime this afternoon, so there could be quite a crowd of them there. It's the usual sort of thing when they meet, they exchange news and problems and find out what's going on in each others' lands. We women, on the other hand, usually join the most senior woman for our own informal chat, of course today it will be the Queen hosting us. Oh, I don't know, Keren, will Mistress Garia be joining us? Her status seems so strange I can hardly understand how she might fit into what normally happens."

Keren gave her a big smile. "I wouldn't worry, Korizet. I can tell you without any hesitation that both Mistress Garia and Lady Merizel will get invited to every meeting the Queen will hold."

Beside her, Marlin looked with distaste at his fork, then banged it down onto the table with such force that Robanar looked up from the next table and frowned. From then on, Marlin ignored the implement, going back to the traditional method of eating with spoon and two knives, eventually having to resort to his fingers to pick apart a joint all the others managed using knife and fork. It was quite clear to all that had he not been at table, in public, he would have had a lot more to say for himself.

Another awkward meal, Garia thought. Is this going to be Jarwin all over again? I don't think the Duke of Brikant is going to thank me if I permanently damage his son, and I really don't need the bad will. How can we prove to him that he's being stupid and pig-headed?

Eventually the meal ended and they stood around in groups until the tables were cleared and everyone understood what was going to happen next. Terinar had a question for Garia.

"This morning, when... we met in the corridor, Mistress," he began, "I pulled a knife to defend myself, not knowing what had just happened. You faced me, seeming ready to fight, even though you faced a knife. Were you just being very brave, then? I can still barely believe that you threw Marlin over your shoulder."

"I wasn't being particularly brave," she replied. "His hand came down and it was all over before I knew I'd done anything." She flicked a dismissive hand. "The knife wasn't important. You wouldn't have been holding it long, had you decided to attack me."

Terinar's eyebrows climbed up his forehead. "Mistress? I find that hard to believe. You, a woman, would fight? Against a man with a knife?" He noticed Keren's grin. "What, Highness?"

"Actually, Terry, I'd take you on if you had a knife and I didn't. I don't know how Mistress Garia would have dealt with you, but I can guess. Hmm, perhaps... perhaps a demonstration is called for, don't you agree, Garia?"

Terinar, Korizet and Marlin looked shocked at the untitled use of Garia's name. Garia gave Keren a smile.

"As you wish, Highness," she said. "Can one be arranged at the moment? Everyone is becoming more involved in festival preparations."

"I can't answer that, Garia, but I can see someone who might be able to. If you will excuse me a moment, I'll catch him before he leaves."

Keren walked off towards Bleskin who was animatedly talking with a group of military types. He spoke to Bleskin who looked startled and then gave a wide grin before replying. Keren walked back.

"Captain Bleskin approves, but he will speak with the King and the Dukes first, probably later this afternoon. Wishing to avoid repeating a previous unpleasantness, he thinks a demonstration will be beneficial to all parties." His eyes slid in Marlin's direction. "After all, the new techniques will be made available to the troops in the dukedoms, won't they?"

"What unpleasantness?" Marlin demanded. "New techniques? What's going on? Is she involved?"

"Yes," Keren said, "she is involved. Have you heard what happened to Duke Jarwin, by any chance?"

Marlin looked shifty. "I heard some crazy talk about Jarwin, yes. A lot of nonsense about -" He stopped, disbelieving. "No! I won't accept that she did any such thing to Jarwin! It's just not possible!"

"That's why we want to have a demonstration, Marlin." He gave Marlin a wicked grin. "If we ask nicely, we might get her not to break any of your ribs, and not to destroy your knee joint." His expression hardened. "On the other hand, I might ask her to do some more if it would make you see sense."

"This is outrageous!" Marlin turned and stamped off in the direction of his father, drawing the attention of everyone still in the room.

Garia sighed. "Yet again. Am I doomed not to have a quiet life?"

Keren said to the four remaining guests, "Mistress Garia hasn't been here for very long, maybe four weeks or so. A great many strange things have happened in that time, and we should discuss them, because change is coming to Palarand and that will affect us all. Perhaps we should get together after the evening meal and have our own little conference. I think father is going to be having a get-together with all the elders, it seems fair that we should have our own. Agreed?"

"Agreed," Terinar said, and Korizet nodded.

Dalenna and Terissa looked at one another, then Dalenna spoke. "We're not sure if we're to be allowed out that late, Highness. We would like to come if it is possible. Would Marlin be invited?"

Keren scratched his head. "That's an interesting question," he said. "If he comes, he could disrupt what we have to tell you. If he doesn't, he'll feel left out, and justly so."

Dalenna nodded. "We understand. Perhaps if would be better if we didn't come, and then he can't accuse you of leaving just him out. There are other ways we can find out what we need to know."

Keren bowed. "I am grateful, Dalenna. As you say, we can meet some other way later if required. After all you are going to be with us for some time?"

"Yes, seven or eight days, so far as we know."

Terys came towards them. "Ladies, time for our nap. Keren, will you walk with us?"

"As you wish, Mother."

up
391 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Oh dear

... yet another stuck up teenage boy. Somehow they will always stir up more trouble than teenage girls imho. Though most have their ways. Smart girls will manipulate their teenage boys to do the trouble for them which again proves how dumb they are to fall for such manipulation.

Seriously, he cannot be an effective ruler if he cannot have an open mind. He will be a detriment to his own people. Somehow it seems again that it is up to Garia to school the arrogant misogynists of this world. Lucky her. I would have said it was Karmic justice but for it is understood that she was an okay boy on earth and did not treat women badly that we know of.

Oh, the joy of politics. And there is nothing worse than family politics.

Kim

Well duh... The behavior of

Well duh... The behavior of the boy is not so strange. He just can't believe she's for real. Well kind of normal in a world where women are nothing but better breeding mashines and political assets to trade.

She threw him at a wall, and now he's sulking. Well he's sulking loudly and he might do stupid stuff but once he has cooled down he probably just wants to forget the whole thing.
If he's anything like a normal boy, it'll be something he'll be ashamed about and the other boys will tease him about.

If he was a girl... We'll I'd expect cruel revenge in about half a year or so.

I wouldn't judge him on this issue. It's a mistake to be made once in your life. It'll probably be one he won't do again.

Lord save us from the

LibraryGeek's picture

Lord save us from the pigheaded sons of the upper nobility! Marlin has to be dealt with, and salvaged if possible; he's heir to Upper Palarand which used to be independent, if he becomes too restive as an adult this could lead to great troubles.

Yours,

JohnBobMead

Yours,

John Robert Mead

The issue is

Marlin has already shown himself to be not just rude in this way. He referred to it being the right way of things where he came from. I am afraid the lessons Garia may be forced to teach him will not hold once he returns to his father's residence. His redeeming grace, that will make him bearable, will only be his ability (which is not shown yet) to effectively manage Upper Paraland.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Don't see how he can be an effective manager

... since he is going to stubbornly resist using anything that was introduced by Garia. He will deliberately become a Luddite just to prove her changes are not necessary. As a consequence he is by definition an ineffective manager of his people who will, like it or not, will adopt those new technologies.

Unless he shows some humility then that is what is gonna happen imho.

Kim

I agree with you, kimmie

I am merely stating that will be his only saving grace, if he actually has it. Otherwise, there's no need for a confrontational pompous retrograde that opposes his Liege's motions. Off with his head!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Garia sighed-

"Yet again. Am I doomed not to have a quiet life?" LOL! I love this story. :)
hugs
Grover

Life's never dull...

...with Garia around! Hopefully Marlin will possess the little bit of common sense needed to watch Garia's unarmed combat demonstration and realise that she is indeed capable of inflicting broken bones on potenial assailants - without needing to get a taste of Duke Jarwin's medicine himself!

No doubt everyone else in the party (particularly the girls) will be eager to find out more about Garia and the changes she's wrought so far upon the land. Who knows - by the time the party leaves, there may be a few more people with a basic understanding of Tai Chi :)

As for teaching Keren (and any other interested parties) English, given that some of her ideas will need to be kept confidential, it could be a very useful code language. There is an urban legend that during the Balkan conflict, the Royal Welch Fusiliers communicated operational commands in Welsh as they were reasonably sure the locals wouldn't understand their native tongue :) Of course, Welsh is another language with more letters than the standard 26 (although the additional symbols have long been deprecated in favour of digraphs of 'ordinary' letters - ch, dd, ff, ng, ll, ph, rh and th. Theoretically it doesn't use the letters k, q, v, x, or z; although they are found in some imported words.)

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

In the US during WWII

... we have the Navaho codetalkers ( now how many people know Navaho at any given time? )

Also, speaking of language fusion, are we seeing the start of Palaranglish or is that Englarand? Seeing that the new 'high tech' language is English derived.

^_^

Kim

The key was Navaho was a

The key was Navaho was a spoken only language, if there were German/Japanese spies in the us, and there most likely was. There was no version of the language written down (or at the very least, the very few that were written down were under control or under watch).

Navaho was used in the Pacific, I heard/read/saw somewhere that Apache was used in Europe.

Language...!

Well many Eigth Army units, especially those who served in India, used Urdu! But your point is well made.

Hmmm. I wonder if Marlin

Brooke Erickson's picture

Hmmm. I wonder if Marlin will be an example of the trope about "starts out loathing her, comes to love her". And if so, will he be the bad version (ie she *still* will loathe him) or the "good" version (she decides he's not so bad once he gets over being pig-headed).

I tend to doubt it'll be the latter as his "you should have gotten out of my way" attitude towards "servants" doesn't say anything good about his character.

Brooke brooke at shadowgard dot com
http://brooke.shadowgard.com/
Girls will be boys, and boys will be girls
It's a mixed up, muddled up, shook up world
"Lola", the Kinks

Hmm, indeed

Athena N's picture

'No way in Hell would I share a bed with him. Ever. If it were the last bed on Earth and he was the last man.' Famous last words?

The comment ...

/

A Nice ride around Manchester to finish off the Sparkle weekend.

about rednecks, gay bashers, fundamentalists et al rather raised some memories in me. We have similar characters on our world so yes, it would seem that such creatures exist among most sentients. As to spoilt children, well they would probably (or more correctly - certainly) exist, particularly amongst such a 'medievil' and stratified society. I see more and more complications ahead for our heroine.

Good Story Penny.

(White van man forever!)
Hugs.

XZXX

Bev.

bev_1.jpg

Thanks Penny

It's always a pleasure to read a new chapter of this fine imaginative series. I'm hoping Marlin can be persuaded without being seriously damaged, but he does need to lose his arrogance.

There are always those who

There are always those who reset change. They can start practicing on Marlin.

Thank you for sharing.

----------
The world was so full of sharp bends that if they didn't put a few twists in you, you wouldn't stand a chance of fitting in. -- Terry Pratchett

Common Villains

terrynaut's picture

Now you've given us yet another character to dislike. I like the way you've been adding tension without using an absolute monster. So far, your villains are similar to badly behaving males that I'm sure most of us have encountered in our own lives.

It will be interesting to see how Garia handles this newest threat to her new world.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

PS More please!

Amazing story :D

As I said, amazing story :D. Very well written I'd say. I like the concept of introducing 'our modern' technologies to their world, as well as all the politics that are present in this story and then the TG element spices things up nicely. Can't wait for more!!

Keep up the good work,

Angarato.

great story

have loved how the characters have progressed so far. A new teenage antagonist - will be interesting as to how she deals with him...
maurice

Very Interesting Story

I must agree with the complements (and VERY well deserved too!) for this story. It is possible that basic codes or ciphers may already exist in Palorand. As a Mathematics teacher, I use codes etc to teach statistics so the possibility of "Frequency Analysis" is something Garia may know about. The arrival of someone who DOES know how to break other peoples codes could introduce another benefit for the Kingdom. However, it is not my place to suggest, that happy duty belongs to the storyteller and you are remarkably good at it! Thank you.

Why do they always want to

Why do they always want to nap? Naps are pretty much useless and tend to make people even more tired than they're anyway.

Thank you for writing this awesome story,

Beyogi

Napping

Seems to work in Latin countries... they have a siesta, I recall.

There's not a lot of point busting a gut to do work when the sun is hottest. Only 'mad dogs and Englishmen' reputedly go out in the sun when it's strongest.

As it happens, and entirely coincidentally, my Fibromyalgia is such that it makes me feel real tired early every afternoon. I can fight my way through it, and when I worked that was what I used to do. Not fun when you have a 150-mile motorway trip to do... that was when I realized my body was telling me something. I don't need a nap every afternoon, but when the call comes I pay attention to it.

Penny

Somewhere Else Entirely -32-

Garia's mention of a translation system makes me wonder if some aliens or future earth people set this planet up as a colony and are whisking away humans and maybe animals to create a new Earth minus technology.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Trouble

There is trouble brewing is it going to be from marlin and what is the king going to do about Garia.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Upcoming spanking

Jamie Lee's picture

Marlin has proven his ignorance by his actions when he first encountered Garia, Merizel, and the maids as they were returning from Morlan's old room. He didn't know what was occurring in the palace and took how the woman were dressed as their station.

His mistake was in treating the women as though they were nothing to be concerned about, and his feeling superior to them. His second mistake was in assuming Garia was JUST a regular Anmar woman, one who didn't know her place.

If Garia had been JUST another Anmar woman then Marlin shouldn't have hit that wall after his attempt to slap her. That should have given him some clue that Garia was different and best to leave her alone. But nope, he like Jarwin wants satisfaction and after their naps will learn something he never considered possible. Hope Garia shows more restraint this time.

Others have feelings too.

I'm sure

The king will have a better handle on young Marlin... He is after all his vassal, unlike Jarwin who is/was the younger son of a neighboring kingdom. An entirely different proposal. Not that Marlin may not fall afoul of Garia mind....