Somewhere Else Entirely -29-

Printer-friendly version

Garia talks of knife fights, rainbows, Jarwin's fate, a cleaning job, long white dresses, gods and magic in a day in which all learn something new.

Somewhere Else Entirely

by Penny Lane

29 - Of Gods and Magic


Disclaimer: The original characters and plot of this story are the property of the author. No infringement of pre-existing copyright is intended. This story is copyright (c) 2011-2017 Penny Lane. All rights reserved.



The six guardsmen faced Garia as she led Keren, Merizel and their two maids into the training room. Tord, their self-appointed spokesman, looked apprehensive.

"Mistress," he began, "we have talked together since yesterday morning and we have come to a decision which I hope you will agree with."

Garia opened her mouth to speak but he held up his hand to stop her.

"Please, if I may explain. We are all agreed that we feel uncomfortable addressing you by your given name, Mistress. It is just not done in Palarand society, at least not in such a setting as this. In addition we are members of the Royal Guard which makes it awkward for us to address you, His Highness and Lady Merizel by anything but your titles. However, we also understand your own argument and we agree completely with what you told us, so we wish to make a compromise arrangement, if you would consent to it."

"Go on."

"We fully agree that we need to call you something, but some kind of title which is not dependent on rank or status, as you said yesterday. Therefore, we wish to call you 'Teacher' while you are training us, Mistress."

Garia thought for a moment. It was a sensible suggestion, and she had already come to the conclusion that she had been trying to push the men too far from their comfort zone. In fact, their idea matched with what happened on Earth, anyway. The master of an art was called Sensei by all, since it was self-evident that he or she had earned the respect of everyone concerned, but there were also lesser teachers who were addressed as the need occurred as Senpai. This title was a more transitory one and indicated no more than respect towards the one who was teaching you something at the moment. It was exactly appropriate for what she intended to do in this room, and she nodded agreement.

"Yes," she told them. "I could see that you weren't comfortable yesterday, and I apologize if I have tried to make you do something that goes against your customs. Very well, I will accept the title of Teacher for the purposes of this instruction period. Do all agree?"

The men nodded their heads and she turned to Keren and Merizel. "What about you two, will this bother either of you?"

"Not at all," Keren said, adding, "Teacher."

Merizel nodded and Garia turned back to the men.

"It's time for us to do our Tai Chi," she said. "I'm sorry, I still think it would be best if we wait for the others before I start teaching it to you. After we've finished I want to find out what you are already capable of doing with regard to unarmed combat. Are you all happy with that?"

Keren raised an eyebrow as Garia took her position alongside them.

"Are you sure you can do this?" he asked her. "It's only been two days."

She shrugged. "I tried some experiments this morning when I first got out of bed," she told him. "The hand is about the same but the shoulder is much improved. It looks terrible and it stings sometimes, but I have the range of movement I need. I have to start exercising it anyway or it will seize up. I'm going to modify the movements I make with my left hand, though. Ready?"

Some of the movements were more uncomfortable than she had expected but she persevered, as she knew that gentle stretching of the muscles would assist in the healing process. Once finished she got the guardsmen onto the mat and had them demonstrate what unarmed combat they could already do, which wasn't a great deal. Even at this stage she was able to point out to them how a slight adjustment in how they approached an opponent or what part of the body they aimed for would improve their success rate without exposing them to any greater risk.

After all of the men had shown what they could do they stopped for a drink. The day was warming up and the increasing humidity was making it uncomfortable to exert themselves in the room.

"Teacher," Tord said, "Since you have now some movement in your left arm perhaps we could take a look at some weapons."

"That's a good idea," she replied. "It'll still be a couple days at least before my shoulder is fully fit again but as you say I can move a bit more freely already." She looked around. "What weapons did you have in mind?"

Tord waved a hand around the room at the weapons hung on pegs.

"I'm not sure I would look at any of these, Teacher. They are mostly weapons won from enemies and some are quite old, types nobody uses any more. It would be better if we went into the other small room."

"It's not being used today?"

"No, everyone's still outside, we should be able to find what you need in there without interruptions."

"Lead the way, then."

In the Small Training Room Tord pulled a sword from an open barrel of blades.

"This is a training sword, Teacher, but it is the same size, shape and weight as our regular issue equipment."

He handed it to Garia hilt-first and she settled her right hand into the grip. It was a straight blade about two feet long tapered over the last six inches to a point. There was a cross-piece and a hilt guard but nothing fancy. She raised the sword and took a defensive position.

"Why do you stand that way, Teacher?"

"I'm sideways on so that I show less of my body to an attacker," she said. "How do you stand, then?"

Tord pulled out another sword and faced her, his body almost square to his outstretched arm.

"So if I stand here," she said, moving to a position in front of him, "my sword could touch your chest while yours can't reach mine, even though you have longer arms."

"Teacher, I feel foolish," he said. "Do you know so much about sword-play, then?"

"Almost nothing," she told him. "But, my world has had many centuries over which to develop styles of sword fighting. I have seen sword fights and I'm standing like this based on what I've seen. How you might have to stand in an actual battle will depend on circumstances, of course."

She stood back and tried to twirl the sword in her hand, with limited success.

"I think that if I need to have a sword it will have to be specially made," she said. "The grip on this one is too large for my small hand. It's balance seems okay but it's a bit heavier than I feel comfortable with, although I could probably overcome that with training."

"As you say, Teacher." Tord suddenly grinned at her. "I would like to be present when you have that conversation with our armorer, Teacher. He has fixed ideas about how the world should work, and I'm sure they do not include making swords for girls."

Garia rolled her eyes. "Oh, not again. I had all that already with Mistress Yolda. And Mistress Shelda."

All the men were grinning now. Tord said, "Teacher, the tales of your battles with these mistresses is already legend throughout the palace. I have no doubt your charms will persuade Master Haflin of your sincere desires."

She snorted. "We'll see. So, what other weapons do you use?"

"Spears, Teacher, are the main one issued and of course we all have a dagger. Those that are proficient in the arts may also be given longbows or crossbows. But I should imagine that you would not be strong enough to use either bow."

"No, I lifted a crossbow the other day and it was very heavy. I certainly couldn't pull a longbow either. Do you use billies or quarterstaffs?"

Tord looked at her. "Teacher, we don't know those words."

It's not really surprising. I would have said 'baseball bat' but there's zero chance anyone here has heard of baseball. The lack of quarterstaffs surprises me, though.

"A billy is a length of hard wood about so long. A quarterstaff is a wooden pole about two strides long."

"Ah. No, Teacher, we do not use those, although travelers often take similar sized poles along for protection against wild animals. Do you fight with such weapons?"

"Oh, yes. When my hand has healed I'll show you some quarterstaff work." She looked around the room. "What about those axes over there? And those, are they maces?"

"Aye, Teacher, but those weapons are only for open field battles, not for duties within the palace. We would not normally train with them unless there was a chance that we would be fighting a full battle in the near future. Similarly, there is armor, but we don't wear most of it most of the time, it is too hot, too heavy and restricting for our normal duties."

"The occasional time when they might wear all the armor and so on," Keren qualified, "is the two or three ceremonial occasions each year when the guard escorts the Royal family through the city."

"I stand corrected, Highness," Tord bowed his head briefly, "on those occasions we are proud to wear the full armor." He looked at Garia. "Teacher, the next occasion will be Harvest Festival, which is in two weeks time. I assume that you will be taking part?"

Garia looked blank. "I have heard of the festival, but I know nothing about it. Keren?"

"Of course, Garia, as a member of the royal family now you'll be taking part. I'll tell you what you need to know later, if I may." He smiled at her. "No need to worry, it is a joyful celebration that this year's harvest has been successfully gathered in."

"As you say, Keren." She turned to the group. "Okay, while we're here, let's look at your knife work. I want to show you some ways in which an unarmed person can deal with an attacker with a knife."

~o~O~o~

"Master Gerdas, Master Hurdin, welcome."

Garia showed them to seats in the front-of-palace room she was using. A blackboard stood on an easel facing the table. Merizel and the maids were also present, as was one of Master Pitchell's scribes, but Keren had been called away after lunch.

"I trust that your own projects are continuing successfully?" she asked them.

"Mistress, I am happier now than I have ever been," Gerdas beamed at her. "As you surmised, the use of telescopes has transformed my mastery of the night skies, and threatens to transform its days as well."

"I'm pleased to hear it, Master Gerdas. But, you say days, you aren't using it to look at the sun, are you?"

Gerdas looked surprised. "Why, Mistress, that idea never occurred to me! Is this something I should be doing?"

"No!" She told him sharply. "No, not without taking extreme precautions, Master Gerdas. If you or anyone looks at the sun through a telescope it will blind you instantly, the power of the sun is too strong. Please don't attempt it, and make sure anyone else who uses telescopes knows it too. I should have thought of warning you when we first talked of the subject."

"I will take your warning to heart, Mistress."

"We have experimented with lenses," Hurdin added, "ever since we started making them, and we have discovered that it is possible to bring the rays of the sun down to a very hot point. A telescope is just a collection of lenses, so I would not be surprised if blindness were to result."

"But you said there were ways round the problem, Mistress," Gerdas said.

"There are, and I'll talk to you about them later, if I may. I don't want to bore Master Hurdin seeing as he has taken the trouble to come this afternoon."

"As Gerdas has said before, Mistress, there is nothing more important than a meeting with yourself these days."

Garia blushed. "I'm sure I don't deserve such praise, Master. How are your own projects?"

"Proceeding well, Mistress. My guild is setting up a float glass, as you called it, production line even as we speak. Experiments on microscope and telescope design are also going well, with Parrel's help. This afternoon's meeting is about something new, I take it?"

"Yes, indeed, Master Hurdin. To begin with, this will primarily be a new measuring device for use by the Questors, but it will have other applications in the future. To make it will require your expertise, Master Hurdin. When you make lenses for magnifiers or to assist eyesight, do you sometimes get rainbow colors appearing?"

Hurdin nodded. "Aye, we do, Mistress. It is often as a defect of the blowing process, or if the grinding and polishing is not correct. Why?" His eyes narrowed. "Since you are asking, is there, in fact, a connection to a rainbow?"

She smiled at them both. "Oh, yes, they are the same thing. It is to do with the properties of light."

"Properties, Mistress?" Gerdas was interested. "Light has properties?"

"Oh, yes, Master Gerdas. Light is a very intricate thing, when you get down to it. Here, let me explain, at least the surface of the matter."

She went to the blackboard and drew a solid wedge on it. "Let us assume that Master Hurdin can make us a piece of glass shaped like this, and he polishes it so that all surfaces are completely flat and smooth. If you then shine a beam of light through it, this is what would happen."

She then drew Newton's famous diagram of light being split by a prism into the various colors, and explained that the colors were in the light rather than being an artifact of the glass.

"Easy to test."

"I'll make you some lenses and some of these prisms."

"I'll need some sheets of metal with slits cut in them, I'll ask Parrel."

"You'll need stands to support the glass in the right places."

"I can arrange that." Gerdas turned to Garia. "There's more, isn't there, Mistress?"

"Oh, so much more. The light you will see grades smoothly from red to blue, as you would expect, and I can tell you that either side there are kinds of light you can't see, but that it is possible to detect. That's the sort of spectrum you'll get from daylight. But, let me ask you, what would happen if you used a different source of light?"

"I don't know what you mean, Mistress. A candle or oil lamp, perhaps?"

"Hm. Perhaps this is the point where I need a chemist as well. Let's say you tried to burn various substances in a flame. The flame turns different colors, doesn't it?"

"Of course you're right, Mistress." Gerdas nodded.

Hurdin said, "When we mix the ingredients for glass we do notice that different substances make different color flames appear." He cocked his head. "Does that mean that only part of this 'spectrum' will appear if we used a prism with such light?"

"Got it in one, Master Hurdin," she told him. "Each element known to nature produces different and very specific colors which can be read and measured by using an instrument based on a prism. Because of this it is possible to heat any substance until it glows and then find out what it is made of."

"Astonishing," Gerdas said. "I should know by now to expect surprises whenever I speak with you, Mistress, but I never seem to learn."

"So you're saying, Mistress," Hurdin said slowly, "that each element in nature is responsible for a different color?"

"No, not exactly. The situation is a lot more complex." Garia tried to think of a way to explain. "This is very difficult to talk about, much easier to show, really. Suppose we take a lump of salt and hold it in a hot flame. What color would that turn the flame?"

"I don't know that I've ever tried that, Mistress," Hurdin said, "although we do use salt from time to time."

"I'll tell you, it will turn yellow. If you take that light and shine it through a prism, you'll discover that it will show you two lines of yellow, close together, and almost nothing else. Those are the lines of the metal sodium, which you haven't discovered yet."

And that's about as far as I can go, she thought. You'll have to work out the rest for yourselves.

"I can't really tell you much more except to say that each element has a distinct signature, if you will, of lines which can be identified and recognized over time. Eventually you'll discover that you can actually calculate where the lines will be for each element, but I don't know how to do that myself. Some elements have even been discovered that way."

"Fascinating!" Gerdas said. "Yet another amazing tool we can use to explore the world around us. Would you know of uses for this device, Mistress?"

"Of course. For example, Master Parrel can use it to test the purity of his metals, find out what his alloys are made of. The miners can test rocks, see what useful substances may be within. And in your own specialty, Master Gerdas, you will eventually be able to use this to find out what the stars are made of. Even that big one just outside the window. There are many other uses."

"Really? But, surely, the light from the stars is far too faint for that to work!"

She gave him a lop-sided smile. "I didn't say it was going to be easy, Master Gerdas, but you'll get there in time. There are ways of collecting starlight which you can then analyze at your leisure."

I think we need a little time for the glassware industry to mature, before we introduce them to photographic plates. Still, at this rate it's not going to be too long.

Hurdin had been making his own notes and now he looked up from his parchment.

"Mistress, you give us much to think about. We will begin producing samples of these... prisms... so that the Questors can begin their investigations. Do you wish me to provide workshop space for your experiments?"

"No, Master Hurdin, thank you. Nor will I ask Master Gerdas, unless he really wishes to do so. I have in mind the vacant laboratory of Master Morlan -"

"Ah!" Gerdas said. "An excellent idea, Mistress!"

"- since I will also soon be experimenting with steam engines, and other things besides. I haven't yet asked anyone about it, I plan to do so after this meeting."

~o~O~o~

"Morlan's laboratory?" Robanar frowned. "What's that?"

"The big workshop in his quarters where he used to do all his experiments, Sire," Garia explained. "I don't think anyone is going to be using it until after the Questors Convocation, which will not be until after the rains have finished, at the earliest."

"It's a reasonable idea, Garia," he said to her, nodding thoughtfully. He hadn't started using her name until she had beaten up Jarwin and it apparently signaled a change in his relationship to her. "Nothing has been done there since his death, and the cleaning staff are afraid to touch anything within. I wonder, you would know what could be moved and what should not, perhaps you are the best person amongst us to see to the tidying-up of his... laboratory, did you call it?"

"Sire," she said stiffly, but with a twinkle in her eyes, "I am not a cleaner. If that is the price for using the room, though, then I am prepared to pay it."

Robanar chuckled. "I would not impose upon you, Mistress. But if you would care to supervise, it would be a worthwhile use of your time. You may discover what he had been doing there."

"That is a point I hadn't considered, Sire. I shall do it, with your consent."

"You have it, Garia. And, if you would, his study is just as untidy. Perhaps you may make some discoveries there."

"I regret, Sire, the study is beyond me. You forget, I cannot read your script yet. However, perhaps Merizel here may attempt that job."

"If she consents, then so shall it be. And I think Keren will be there to assist you both as well."

"As you say, Sire. Your son has the intelligence to understand the work of the Questors, perhaps he will become one himself in time. I will welcome his help."

Robanar sighed. "The world is becoming more complex, Garia, for which I do not blame your presence. As you have told us, this progress would happen whether you were with us or not. I fear that the next King of Palarand will need to keep his wits about him as the years continue. The more Keren can learn from you, the happier I will be."

~o~O~o~

"That looks better than I expected, Mistress."

"I think you're right, Mistress Margra."

It was just after dinner and Margra had arrived in Garia's sitting room to check the state of her hand. She had removed the bandages and cleaned off the poultice they had kept in place. Margra gently turned the hand over, examining it in the evening light streaming through the window.

"I don't think you've broken anything, Mistress, from the looks of it. Of course, there are many small bones in the base of the hand and the wrist, one never knows, does one? And from what you tell me you deliberately held your hand at that angle, so I begin to suspect that you haven't even sprained it. It is bruised, of course, you seem to bruise easily, don't you?" Margra smiled at Garia.

"It would seem so, Mistress Margra. So, when can I have my hand back?"

"I think we'll keep it bandaged for another two days, Mistress. Just so that you remember not to use it, more than anything else. Then I'll inspect it again and we'll let the air get to it. After that, only time will tell. Perhaps another week."

"Thank you, Mistress Margra. And my shoulder?"

"Just a bruise, Mistress. It looks terrible but I can see the healing process has already begun. Jenet is applying the salve I gave her for it?"

"Morning and night, Mistress Margra."

After Margra had gone Garia turned to those who had accompanied her back after dinner.

"Busy this afternoon?" she asked Keren.

"Aye, a messenger came from Virgulend and father wanted me to discuss the contents."

"Anything you can tell us, or is it confidential?"

"I think the word you should be using is boring," he said. "The usual this and that between rulers, but he did tell us what happened when Duke Jarwin got home. He's still laid up and it looks like he'll walk with a permanent limp. Marshal Dalbinar had told Grand Duke Mariswin the whole story and that was apparently enough to seal Jarwin's fate. He's been banished to a remote lodge, officially to recover from his wounds, actually because Mariswin didn't want him anywhere near his palace or his court any longer."

"Is that enough, do you think?"

"Probably. Oh, and we've had further news, through Dalbinar, about what's happening further upriver. You remember I told you Yod had invaded Ferenis? It seems the Ferens have stopped the Yod advance, although the invaders hold about a quarter of their land at present. The Ferens burned the land out from under them and they have to be supplied from across the river." He gave Garia a hard smile. "It seems that unless Yod can do something to change the balance they'll be stuck there until the rains come, and then they'll be knee deep in mud. The river will be in flood as well and they won't be able to re-supply across it - or withdraw. This was not the time of year to go invading anybody, anyone could have told them that."

"There might be some long-term plan," she said doubtfully.

A shrug. "Maybe. Remember, countries up and down the Valley have been doing this for centuries, you'd think they would remember the basics."

"Don't invade Russia in autumn," Garia muttered.

"What?"

"Oh, just a saying from a similar sort of situation back home," she said.

"Ah. Well, that's all the news we have from Dalbinar."

"Keren," she reminded him, "you promised to tell me about Harvest Festival."

"So I did," he replied. "Harvest Festival comes every year, as the name implies, right at the end of the harvest, and usually just before the rains begin. It's a big outdoor festival, celebrated everywhere in the Valley, although sometimes not on the same day. In the city, there's a parade around and through the streets which ends up at a big flat open area called the Shevesty Field. This is a circular ground usually used for playing shevesty, which is a ball game. Do you have ball games on Earth?"

"Oh, yes! We have lots of different ball games all over Earth."

"So. The parade is marching bands and guardsmen and decorated wagons with people in silly costumes enjoying themselves as they go."

"That sounds exactly like what we have on Earth. Sorry, go on."

"When the parade gets to the field we hold a service to celebrate the harvest and the fruitfulness of the ground and then everyone has a good time eating, drinking and generally enjoying themselves. Around the edge of the field are booths where many of the traveling players and entertainments set up. There are big awnings set up where people can have their afternoon rest and then in the early evening there is another, slightly more formal meal before a final service as the sun begins to set. That one celebrates the Maker and the Making of the world and all that surrounds it. Finally, everyone staggers home to bed."

"Sounds like a fun day for everyone."

Keren grimaced. "For most, yes. For the royal family, and that now includes you, of course, it means holding court in the middle of a good-natured riot. There are some things that father traditionally does at Harvest Festival, like settling disputes and pardoning criminals, that sort of thing. "

"Oh. Holding court, I assume that means we have to get all dressed up?"

"Oh, yes, everyone wears their best clothes. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll have a good time, most of us do."

"We don't have as big a festival as all that at home," Merizel said. "These booths, do they have the usual jugglers and acrobats? Are there acts there I'm not likely to have come across at home?"

Keren shrugged. "I can't answer that, Merizel, as I don't know just what you've seen at South Reach. But I'm guessing that there will be novelties none of us have seen before, folk from distant regions, performances that most Palarandi won't have seen before, there usually are."

"Do you have conjuring acts?" she asked. "I like those."

"Conjuring?" Garia echoed. "What, you mean magic?"

Both Keren and Merizel turned to look at her.

"There is no magic on Anmar," Keren said. "Conjuring, that is, tricks done by quick movements of the hand, deceptions, aye, but there is no magic." He thought. "Garia, do you have magic on Earth? The question never occurred to me before."

Garia frowned. There was a problem of concept here, and she struggled to clarify it. "If by magic you mean conjuring tricks," she replied slowly, "then yes, we have that as you seem to do. If by magic you mean communicating with unknown forces then no, we don't, although there are many who believe that such magical forces exist."

She gave a wry smile. "Of course, much of what I will tell in the Council of the Two Worlds may seem like magic to many. There is a famous saying on Earth, 'Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic', or to turn it round, 'Magic is just technology you don't yet understand'. So, how can you be so sure that magic does not, in fact, exist on Anmar? I've noticed a few odd occasions where magic could be used as an explanation, but nobody ever suggests it. My own appearance on Anmar being the main one."

"That's easy," Keren said. "About two hundred seventy-five years ago there was a major conference of all the Questors and other learned folk from the length of the Valley and from almost every country beyond. Even the Kittrins sent a delegation. It was called the Great Convocation, and it was designed to put to rest all the competing claims and counter-claims about what was real and what was not.

"Every person who called themselves a witch or a magician or who claimed to have or know about powers was encouraged to come and demonstrate the proof of their beliefs. Not one succeeded, not a single one. It was therefore determined that since no proof had been supplied magic could not exist, and most countries set up penalties for anyone claiming such powers. The Convocation also disposed of all the gods as well, seeing as the existence of those couldn't be proved - or disproved - either. Every religion collapsed since no-one could prove that their god or gods existed or that they could actually do anything if they did."

"But... everyone talks about the Maker. Who is he?"

"The Maker is not a he, or a she, and possibly not even an it. The Maker is more of a concept, the idea that this world must have had a reason to be, and the stars around it, and in order to have a reason, something must have formed that reason. We all agree that there is likely some kind of purpose for Anmar's existence, but we have no idea what that purpose might be, nor are we ever likely to learn it. So, we use the Maker as a way of expressing the existence of the reason, until we learn enough about the world to be able to say more.

"We do not know the Maker's reason, and so we must all conduct ourselves in such a way as not to unduly disturb the world as we live in it. Yes, we farm the land, and we build our villages, towns and cities on it, since that may be part of the Maker's purpose, but we are careful not to wantonly despoil our world, since we cannot know as yet what the Maker intends. Do you understand?"

"I think so, Keren. Wow, I just wish we'd held that convocation on Earth. A whole heap of trouble could have been avoided, I can tell you."

"It did cause a lot of bad feeling afterwards, since there were many who didn't agree with the rulings. However, the answer to all those people was really simple: prove it. If you can prove the existence of such a power, or you can demonstrate using any such power, then do so. Otherwise, stop complaining."

"What about me, then? How do you explain my own appearance here?"

"We don't know. We don't think the Maker has influenced Anmar since it was first created, and most don't think that the Maker has paid any attention to what has happened here since then. You are obviously really here, so we aren't having delusions, but we don't know how you got here. Neither, it seems, do you know. And I'm guessing that you don't have the power to do anything like that on Earth, or you would have said so." He shrugged. "It's just been added to the long list of 'odd things that have happened we can't yet explain'."

"I have had one or two really strange dreams," Garia said thoughtfully.

"It's generally agreed that dreams have little connection with what happens when you're awake, but go on," he encouraged.

"It's very vague," she said. "There are a number of very large... beings, I suppose you'd have to call them, and they float around in the night sky discussing me. I can't remember anything they say but it seems that something might have gone wrong." She shrugged.

"That's interesting," he said. "Perhaps it's just your sleeping mind trying to work out a reason for your transfer from Earth to here."

"Maybe," she said doubtfully. "I feel that these aren't like the dreams I usually have, though." She shook her head. "I don't know. Maybe we'll find out in time. Till then, I'll just carry on as I have been doing."

"Which is quite enough, thank you," Keren assured her with a smile.

"So," she mused, "No magic, no gods, no religion, just hard-headed practicality. And a reasonable attitude to not screwing over your planet. Anmar is becoming more attractive by the minute."

"Oh, it's not all pure and untainted," Keren replied. "We have those who would prey on the unwary," his eyes flicked briefly at Merizel, "those who would seek to make coin out of others, those who would steal, those who would wound or kill without reason, those who would make unjustified war. Our society could be much better in very many ways. It sounds, though, as if we have avoided some of the problems Earth is facing."

"Yes. But it is sometimes the problems which have driven development on Earth. For example, about a hundred of our years ago we discovered a way for a man to fly in the air in a powered machine. The first aircraft were simple wood frames covered by canvas and barely able to hold a single man. Forty years later, after two quite terrible wars which engulfed the whole world, we had all-metal aircraft weighing several tons able to transport passengers across oceans. So, sometimes the bad forces the development of the good."

Merizel's eyes popped. "You have flying machines? That's amazing!"

Garia's expression changed. "I wasn't going to mention aircraft for a while, Merizel. There's a long way to go before anyone here can even start thinking about flying machines. So, please treat what I have just said as secret for the time being, all of you. Ah, there is one exception, I guess. Maybe I'll mention that in the next council, as it shouldn't be too much of a technical leap for you as it stands."

Balloons predate airplanes by, what, a hundred years? More? What was the name of those two French guys who did it? Anyhow, there's an obvious military aspect to balloons which Bleskin and Merek will get immediately. Other than that and leisure flying, I don't see any other use for the things, but I can't see great harm in them either, so explaining them shouldn't cause any unwanted ripples.

"These wars," Keren asked, "they are why you are reluctant to speak on such subjects?"

She nodded. "Yes, they are. But the wars of a century previous to that were almost as bad." She shook her head. "Can we choose another subject? I will talk about wars, but I'd rather leave the subject to another time."

"What did you tell Gerdas and Hurdin this afternoon?" Keren asked.

Garia gave him a brief run-down of their discussion and he promised to make sure he was available when the first experiments were done.

"Ah! That reminds me," she said. "I asked your father if we could use Morlan's workshop - his laboratory - to do these and other experiments in. He readily agreed, but suggested that we were exactly the right people to go and tidy the whole place up. That means I've co-opted you and Merizel, and Jenet and Bursila, of course, to go through his workshop and his study and find out what's there. I hope you don't mind."

Keren rolled his eyes. "It seems I spend all my days, now, dusting and sorting rooms full of old rubbish. Perhaps I should just become Chief Cleaner to the palace instead of Heir Apparent."

"My problem," Garia went on, "is that I can't read any of the documents in the study, so that will have to be left to you and Merizel, while I tackle the workshop. Will that be all right?"

"If father wants it so, who am I to argue?" Keren nodded. "Aye, from what I remember of our visits there, the whole place needs turning over, and there is no-one better than us to do it, is there? You want to make a start tomorrow, I take it?"

"Depends on what Merizel tells me I have arranged," she said, "but yes, basically. I want to demonstrate the steam engine models in there, it will be better than doing it in one of the meeting rooms. There will be smoke and hot water and the possibility of a mess. Merizel?"

"As you wish, Garia. I haven't been to these rooms you mention but I'll be glad to help. Unless something else happens, tomorrow afternoon should be free." She frowned. "I can read these documents you mention, of course, providing this man's writing is readable, but I'm not sure I'll be able to understand what's in most of them."

"No, but I probably will," Keren told her. "Between us we should be able to manage."

~o~O~o~

"Harvest Festival," Garia said to Jenet. "Keren mentioned fancy outfits. Do I have anything suitable, Jenet?"

"Hold still, Mistress, please. I don't think you have a suitable gown in the dressing room, I shall check when I've finished rubbing this salve into your shoulder."

"Is that going to be a problem? Do we have to go back to Yolda, do you think? What sort of gown are they expecting me to wear?"

"For yourself, it will probably be a simple full-length gown, Mistress. Usually white, and soft and flowing. It has to be lightweight since you'll be wearing it all through the day and outside in the sun. I'm sure Mistress Yolda has something suitable for you on her rails already, the design is not a complicated one requiring exact measurements."

"Ow! That part's still sore. Oh, that's good. About the gown, I mean. Particularly with this shoulder and hand I don't want anything too close-fitting at the moment. In the sun? Do I get to wear a hat, then?"

"Regrettably not, Mistress. You'll be wearing your tiara, I expect. Don't worry, if you're with the King and Queen you'll be with them under the awning they put up for the royal party."

"Merizel too?"

"I'm not sure of Milady's status in that respect, Mistress. Your situation is unusual in the court, normally I can work out who would go where but in this case I cannot. I expect that the Queen will have considered such matters."

"As you say, Jenet."

"Let that dry for a moment, Mistress. While it does, I will inspect your gowns and see if you already have something appropriate."

This could be a big deal, she thought. This will be my first public outing since I arrived here, and I'm going to be fully exposed to practically everyone in the city. I suspect most of them have heard of me by now, especially since I did over Duke Jarwin. Gary would have had butterflies facing a crowd back in Hays, but they were a known quantity and he at least understood what he faced. Here it's a whole different ball game, and I neither know how these people will react to me nor how they view me in respect to their own society. I suspect some of them will see me as a destabilizing influence. In some respects this is the first big test I'll have faced since Morlan, and I've no idea how I can manage it. I'm going to have to rely on my friends, and I'm real glad I have those friends now I need them.

Leave that for now, there are other more immediate things to concern myself with. Like, starting those guardsmen on their Tai Chi and whatever else I want to teach them. 'Teacher', that's good. I don't think I want to start using 'Sensei' and 'Senpai' here, there's no point. In a week I should be able to join in, at least part of the time. Then there's steam engines, spectrometers, stills, and whatever else these clever people have dreamed up for me. Plenty to worry over.

"I'm sorry Mistress, there's nothing suitable. We'll have to arrange a visit to Mistress Yolda to collect one." A gentle touch on her back. "That seems dry enough, Mistress. Let's get your nightdress on, then."

Garia awkwardly settled the nightdress and then climbed into bed.

"Is all this wearing you out, Jenet?"

"Me? No, Mistress. It is a refreshing change to be doing different things all the time instead of the same routine day after day, although sometimes routine is good, too."

"I know what you mean. I was just wondering how you were coping with all the weird things I've been doing since I've been here."

"You're doing exactly what I would expect you to do, Mistress, and I am proud to help you to do it. I have seen and heard things I never knew were possible and I have visited parts of the palace I barely knew existed. I think this experience has been good for both of us, Mistress, although I wish you wouldn't get into so many fights."

"As do I, Jenet. Do you think you might need help?"

"Maker, no, Mistress! Your situation is not so complicated that you need another maid, although I admit that Lady Merizel's presence has made a great difference. I think we would both struggle without her, given all the meetings you have to attend."

"You are so right, Jenet, we are lucky to have her. And Keren, come to that. He could have been a different kind of prince with no interest in what I have to tell everyone."

"The Prince and you are very close, Mistress. In some ways it is a pity..."

"Jenet?"

"Nothing, Mistress. Just the imaginings of a tired servant. Good-night, Mistress."

"Good-night, Jenet."

up
376 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Somewhere else Entirely..

Funny you should mention the Montgolfier Brothers. I actually did a book report on them wwwaaayyyy back in the early 1960's when I was in Elementary school. lol Please keep up the wonderful work on this story hon, I for one am loving it!!

I'm Really Enjoying the Series Also

I'm sure I learned about the Montgolfier brothers in school somewhere along the way, but I remember them from Monty Python much better. Unfortunately it's a very silly sounding name.

See what is possibly a historically (Monty Python) accurate account of the Montgolfier Brothers thanks to YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZxY1J69WsQ

Clothes...

...I wonder if now wouldn't be a good time to suggest to mistress Rosilda the making of some of our modern - but appropriate and not too revealing - kinds of clothes. She could suggest it as presenting herself in appropriate clothing for public appearances for her people or something like that.

Clothes

Don't worry, we haven't seen the last of Rosilda. I have plans...

^_^

Penny

Sounds promising

So, would we have [insert any piece of clothing unusual for the past] made? :)

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

The further intellectual adventures of Garia

... is absolutely engrossing. I am sure the military will be interested when Garia *ahem* raises the issue of balloons.

She is sooo incredibly busy though and needs to have a day off once in a while ya know.

Garia's status needs to be formalized I think. She is not ranked except with what is essentially a guild-like description of Mistress which is more like head of department and such.

Big thumbs up for not having any 'saviors' or burning bushes or sacrificing the first born to the deity. It is just a very rational Deist like view of Maker. All I can say is beam me up Scotty and send me to someplace with intelligent life. It is no Eden but they are far less likely to self-destruct totally like we seem to be doing.

She should really go to school and learn the written language.

As you can tell I am enjoying this universe.

Kim

Adventures

Balloons - yes, exactly.

Busy - there's a reason things are happening the way they have been so far.

Status - all in hand.

Religion - call it a cop-out, perhaps. I wanted to explore a place where things were different.

Learning the language - she doesn't actually understand the spoken language yet, not consciously. The transition to a full native speaker/writer is all planned.

Enjoyment - thank you very much!

Penny

One more thought.

I think they should have a heavier then normal guard if Garia is going to be out and about, I mean there is the very small but not zero possibility of assassination by let's say Yod.

This, I believe, is the first real public outing away from the palace and all its protections. Given she is wearing a tiara, the public at large will no doubt be curious as to who she as, as will any nobles of the realm or foreigners that are present. I would suggest being explicit about her origins at such a gathering is not a good thing yet.

This is going to be an interesting outing.

Finally it is good to see Jarwin get a real comeuppance but now, knowing his type, he is going to get real mean though especially if he is gonna be called 'Gimpy' behind his back I suspect :). I would be on guard for him also.

Kim

Assassination

It is very unlikely that a foreign power would want to assassinate Garia. They would not want to kill her but reserve her as a source of information for their own benefit, therefore kidnap is more likely.

Actually, as you'll see, on this particular outing she'll probably be safer than she would be in the palace.

As for obscuring her origins, I suspect too many people know what little there is to know about her origin to hide it easily.

Penny

Busy

> Busy - there's a reason things are happening the way they have been so far

Because it makes a good story? :)

---------
The world was so full of sharp bends that if they didn't put a few twists in you, you wouldn't stand a chance of fitting in. -- Terry Pratchett

Perhaps the Parilandiers will never experience...

So, the dudes who transported her there have in mind the idea that perhaps the agressive and warlike human nature can be sublimated?

I was thinking that Gary was sent to Paralandi to advance them. What if the actual intent is to breed a less finely bread human; one that won't eventually exterminate its self as we on Earth are about to do.

Of course, we know from an earlier chapter that Changing Gary into Garia was a mistake, but still maybe things are not what they seem now.

Loving your story.

Gwendolyn

I'm also enjoying it.

/

A Nice ride around Manchester to finish off the Sparkle weekend.

This story is getting really good. I love the techniques Penny employs to gently introduce advanced ideas to her companions and I think every reader on the site who follows this story is savouring her gentle avoidance of serious breaches of 'The Prime Directive' for after all, she had no control over her appearence upon the planet and therefore carries no responsibilities for any innovative science she might introduce. She is not bound by any moral aspects surrounding her technological superiority.

I am really enjoying this story. So far there are only about five or six stories that I am following avidly and this of course, is one of them.

Thanks, I'm really pleased with this story.

XZXX

Beverly.

bev_1.jpg

Manchester?

Can you put "nice ride" and Manchester" in the same sentence? ;)

And how on Earth can you possibly cycle in sandals like that!!!

I'm glad that you like my scribblings. I hope I can continue to the same or better standard.

This episode brought to you by reason of the Plumber saga. Since I discovered he wasn't coming yesterday, I just sat down and let it pour out (the story, what were you thinking!). Since I'll now face being b***ered about all next week, I'm not sure when I can manage the next one. Oh, well.

I wish my van was as clean as yours.

Penny

nice ride" and Manchester" in the same sentence

jacquimac's picture

Not a chance, Manchester is the pits, I think the new architects that are designing the building work for LEGO, You might be able to have a nice round manchester around 3am, but any other time you take your life in your own hands.
As a Truck Driver Cyclists are their own worst enemies, they don`t stop at lights or junctions.They average cyclist is a total moron and it`s never them thats in the wrong is it??

To be honest they should adopt the belgium system and charge them for using the roads and bikes have to be registered.

Jackie

strange

As someone who lives in Belgium and uses a bicycle every day to go to work, I was very surprised to learn we charge bikes for using the road and force them to be registered.

I'm old enough to remember that it once was like you described, but I believe that ended in 1986. Maybe I should mention as an aside that earlier this month a (in my opinion very stupid) law got voted allowing bicycles to pass red lights in certain cases. I'm afraid Belgium isn't a good example for how things should be done ;)

Hugs,

Kimby

Hugs,

Kimby

Horses for courses

Some cyclists actually know, understand and apply the principles of the Highway Code.
Some drivers actually know, understand and apply the principles of the Highway Code. Is that Transit double-parked? Just wondering....

There are exceptions to the rule in both cases. Some councils' attempts to 'help' cyclists with the provision of cycle paths etc. can turn into a hinderance if they fail to apply common sense.

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Institutionalised agnosticism

What a brilliant concept - we don't know if there is a god or not, and we'll probably never be able to prove it; so let's just try to care for ourselves, others and the planet; not worrying about performing specific acts / sacrifices / duties / behaviours on a routine basis.

As the Harvest Festival proves, you don't need to have a religious component to festivals - in fact, the harvest festival seems to include several features of what are now regarded as summer fêtes or carnivals. It wouldn't surprise me if they have some form of gift exchange around the winter solstice, as well as a spring festival.

Meanwhile, I wonder what Yod's game plan is. Palarand seem to be assuming that as the rainy season's approaching, Yod won't be able to make much progress. But I'd assume that even in the rainy season, there'll be dry days. I wonder if anyone knows basic meteorology, or if Anmar has its own weather lore...

 

Bike Resources

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Agnosticism?

Not really agnosticism. More like gnostic naturalism - if you can show it exists, then we have reason to believe in it - but only within the limits we have observed it. Much like the reason I'm an atheist - there being no documented event, and no real indication, of anything supernatural happening that has withstood any scrutiny.

Agnosticism is a statement about whether it's possible to know or not, not whether you should believe or not.

Apparently

I have those two confused in my mind. Whatever.

BTW, is it just me or it is a bit unwise - only limiting heavy armor and weapons training for the times of war? And using those same at some very important public events.

Not that I'm complaining, you see, but the reason I find it strange is because - just how good would the guard be in using these, if they have to? If something happens during the fastival, the guards will have to act with encumbrance they are not used to. If the war happens, they will have to use weapons they have had only limited training with.

Hopefully those who started this practice were smart enough to recognise the issues, and benevolent enough to address them and to explain them to further generations.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Weapons and armor

They'll use these as and when needed. They aren't training in full armor just at the moment because we're still in the hot season, it just wouldn't be practical unless there was a direct threat. However, they would be familiar enough with the gear to wear it for ceremonial occasions.

Remember also, this is a Festival. (Almost) everyone in the city will be taking this day as a time of fun and feasting. If there is anyone present who wants to Do Bad Things, the rest of the party-goers would seize them the moment they tried anything. (Remember, quite a lot of them will be armed as a matter of course.)

As for wearing armor at important events - I had in mind something like Trooping the Colour, although that one is a purely military event. The point there is that the Life Guards (on horses) are wearing medieval armor - and some carry axes. When soldiers/sailors/airmen join in with fairs/carnivals/processions in the UK they are often dressed in their best outfits, often carrying weapons, although I don't know whether they would carry ammo as well. (At a local carnival I used to attend as a child, they would fire off 25-pounder field guns, great fun!)

Thank you for your thoughts. All gratefully received and considered.

Penny

Best of Show

terrynaut's picture

Do they have storytellers in your universe? And do they have story contests during the Harvest Festival? If so, I think Garia's story would win best of show!

I'm really enjoying this story. Please continue as you can.

Thanks and kudos.

- Terry

Somewhere Else Entirely -29-

In Public, anybody who has designs upon kidnapping her can succeed.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Not necessarily...

Garia will be part of the Royal Party, so will have Keren, Robinar and Terys next to her, probably Merizel as well, while the maids will be close by. Besides which, she's probably quite well known among the locals, and definitely respected in amongst the trades guilds. Even assuming someone slipped past security and got within her range, she wouldn't passively resist and allow herself to be kidnapped without putting up a pretty good fight first! Which, in itself, would probably attract the attention of palace guards...

--B


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Palace guards

It's only in bad films where the guatdsmen stand in a queue to attack the intruder/raider/kidnapper one by one. In real life it's all on at once. When a nutter decided to fire blanks at Brenda, a Guardsman pulled him over the railing by his hair before half a dozen others, and police, piled onto him.

Plus she is very distinctive in appearance

Her hair is blond if I recall in a world were nearly everyone is black or is it brunette?

Also if I recall she is light skinned to their Mediterranean looks and I think she taller than the average Parland woman. Forget if she is more *blessed* than the locals in the breast department but overall she is seen as exotic and highly attractive. Add in her short hair cut and I think her eye color is unusual by local standards as well and you have a neon sign of a woman.

Kidnappers would have to bag her or disguise her in some way and quickly. Plus by Harvest Fest she should be healed up and unless taken unawares might just beat the crap out of her kidnappers.

And imagine what the Guard, Keren and others would do to someone caught attacking Garia.

As to her servant's comments at the end of this posting... I think she and probably others see they relationship building between her and the crown prince. Even Garia has fanaticized about it a little by tried to quickly dismiss it. The maid seems to be saying it is a pity tradition should forbid their marrying as they seem so well suited to each other.

BUT as the religion and magic *conference* of a few hundred years back have told us these are a very pragmatic *show me* kind of people. IF there is good reason to pair her with Keren they will find a way. First though they do need to make her position on the Royal court permanent. Right now she is a bit more than honored guest but not much. She may need to be raised to the rank equivalent to a countess, baroness or even princess for her protection and to give her the needed credentials outside of the inner circle who deal with her regularly.

I do worry the jerk she beat up might use thugs to get revenge on Garia.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

Hair color

(Don't worry, it's long enough ago I had to go back and look :)

Her hair color is darkish brown, and the karzal-nut oil makes it look almost black. I'm supposing that most of the locals have hair varying from light-brown to almost black in range. Every local woman has long hair, so she would certainly stand out because of her 'exotic' cut.

No red-heads, as yet, nor African-style crinkly hair. Blonds? Perhaps, although I don't think they would be Valley folk, rather people who have migrated from beyond the mountains to the south. We're in the southern hemisphere here, so further south == less sunlight == blond hair, pale skin, blue eyes.

She's also quite short :P Are you sure you're reading the same story? :)

Having said that, most of your other remarks are fairly close.

Penny

The prince

We need to see acceptance of their relationship

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna

Party favors sold at Festival

Jamie Lee's picture

Giving information about prisms has started Parrel and Hurdan on a road which they will soon learn will help them immensely. And if Hurdan would make a lot of prisms he could demonstrate them at Festival and maybe sell them.

Garia is the hub of a vast wheel, with additional spokes being added each day. Her support base is good but one day they will no longer be enough, and the guilds will have to take over.

Garia has earned the guards' respect, and pity the fool who attempts to take or hurt her at Festival. She may need to be ready, though, to answer questions from officials and other guild members present.

Acknowledging something made Anmar and all on it, but making it necessary to prove it for any and all before this or that belief is accepted, cuts down on any one group attempting to take control.

Others have feelings too.

Guilds

At (or during) the festival I'd bet Garia is going to be busy with the 'nobles' of the land... Just a guess mind.

It's too bad...

Aine Sabine's picture

Garia wasn't wearing a Pink Floyd The Dark Side of the Moon shirt when he/she came through. She'd have the example right there of the prism effect.

Aine

The T shirt design

Slackness on my part. Oh, it wouldn't have been Pink Floyd or anything definite like that. I imagined it was likely some kind of random university Tee with the name in a circle around an unspecified central design.

I think I had the idea of looking up some examples and picking one, but never got around to it. I was even in the States at one point, I could have done some research, but no. Too busy sight-seeing and looking after freshly-minted twins (who are now 7!).

Never mind. Maybe if and when I get the thing published. Who knows?

Thank you for reading.

Penny