Queen of The May Pt 9

Printer-friendly version

Queen of the May Pt Nine

Queen of the May Pt Nine

By Jacquimac
Thanks To Stanman63 For Editing!!

Synopsis:After suffering from an accident, a young man learns that he has been voted to be the Queen of the May by his fellow students.

[*][*][*]

I finally realised that everyone in the village had been helping "ME". They could have refused to do what the kids wanted, but didn`t. As a community, they went all out to help and support each other. The whole project was paid for Mrs Clegg, the biggest landowner in the area and an active member of most of the village committees and she was well liked by everyone.

Not for what she had, but for the person she was: kind, loving, gentle also very clever. She was the type of person that called a spade a spade. Although you might agree with her on some things you couldn't help not admiring her for her convictions.

I went to my room and started to get ready for the afternoon party, I had a lot to think about. I finally got the answers I had been looking for. I now knew that I would spend the rest of my life in dresses, but at least I now had some of the basic skills that I would need as a girl.

But I could now look to the future and the past, like dad said: now that I knew something about being a boy and girl and it would make me a better person.

Putting my thoughts in order, I continued to get ready and then I realised I would have to thank everyone in the village for what they'd done for me the past 15 months, not only for the money it all cost, but for the kindness and support they had given me.

When I was finally ready, I went down to lounge and found dad reading the newspaper, I asked him, "Can we talk?"

He put his paper away, after pulling me on to his knee he asked, "Is what the doctor told you, bothering you?"

"Although I didn`t understand most of what had been said, I now understood why the everything had happened when I came home from hospital. I accepted I would have to be girl for the rest of my life and had actually got used to wearing dresses. What I want to ask is how can I thank everybody?"

He looked at me and simply said "You`ll find a way."

[*][*][*]

Once we were all ready, we walked down to the village hall, the village itself was like a ghost town, all shops closed and nobody on the streets. We entered the hall and were met by Mrs Clegg and Ms Platt, they led us to a central table. The place was packed out with all the tables full.

As I was led to the table everyone stood up and there was a thunderous applause and everyone singing "Happy Birthday".

Once the song was over, I asked if I speak to everyone, I was led onto the stage and the microphone lowered. Then everybody went silent and I paused for a few moments, looking round the room before I started speaking.

"I would first of all like to thank everybody for coming to my party today. I would also like to thank everyone for all their hard work over the past few months. I know it wasn't easy for everyone and it was especially difficult for me.

"Today, everything was explained to me and now I can see what you were all trying to do. I apologize to anybody I upset with my attitude, I know I was bad tempered at times and sometimes wouldn't cooperate with you at all. I now realize that I`m going to have to keep living as a female as my body is changing form male to female.

"I know that it wasn't anyone's fault, that it just happened. I can`t really explain what is happening inside of me as I didn`t understand most of what I was told; too many big words.

"I would especially like to thank my family, Ms Platt and Mrs Clegg for all the patience that they had, and Mrs Clegg for everything she did. I've been told she funded everything. I`ll try to get round and thank everyone in person. I hope I haven`t let you all down over the last year. Thank you all, once again."

[*][*][*]

I went and sat down and dad hugged me and said how proud he was of me for my speech. There were a few other speakers, Ms Platt said she enjoyed helping me and that I was a better person and student than I had ever been, and that although my body was changing, I was still the same kind person I had always been.

[*][*][*]

Mrs Clegg said, "The expense didn`t matter and I was glad to help." Then, she called me back on stage and gave an envelope saying, "Just before you went into hospital the last time, you phoned the fire brigade and told then my barn was on fire."

"Yes, I did.

"Inside the barn there were several vehicles worth several hundred thousand pounds that had been delivered that day and that if it hadn't been for making that call they would have been lost."

[*][*][*]

I have spent several months trying to find out who made the call and until someone at the telephone exchange heard and recognized your voice, the mystery caller would have gone unrewarded."

"Jacqueline, we all know you and know you don`t look for rewards, you just carry on as if it nothing had happened. The people of our little community have notice you helping the old folk with their gardens and running to the shops for them, but not only the old folk.

"You help everyone just by being who you are, you`re always cheerful, polite and considerate. Everyone in the village knows how hard it`s been for you since your return from hospital. It was the kids of village that came up with the idea of you being Queen of May to help you with life and to thank you for being you."

[*][*][*]

She bent down and kissed me on the cheek and led me back to our table, I gave Mum the unopened envelope and she put it in her handbag. We sat down to eat our meal, and after it ended, the tables were moved out, chairs put against the walls and the dancing began.

Everyone was really enjoying themselves, especially when they started holding dance competitions with spot prizes for the younger kids. Several of the student council sat with me and we started talking.

Billy Noble came over and asked," Are you annoyed with me?"

"No, I'm not. Thanks for coming up with the idea in the first place," I gave him a hug and a kiss and all the kids cheered when they saw us.

[*][*][*]

I went round and spent a few minutes with each group of people thanking them and admitted it had been fun over the last year, although I felt embarrassed at first, it was hugs and kisses all round that day.

Just as the evening came to the end, the chairman of the parish council along with the vicar got on the stage to announce who the next year's Queen of May was to be. As usual, the pleasantry`s were got out of way and the with a flourish that made everyone laugh, the vicar produced an envelope.

He looked at me and asked, "Have you enjoyed the last year?"

"Yes, I have."

I was lifted on to the stage and was placed between the two men, the envelope was opened and I was asked," Once again,Jacqueline, are you sure that you have enjoyed this last year"

"Yes, I have. Why ask me again?"

They both looked down at me smiling, Mrs Clegg came back on stage and taking the envelope, opened it and said, "I`m glad you enjoyed yourself."

"Please, hurry up! My legs are getting cold! I am not wearing thick tights!"

Then a slip of paper with a name on it was taken from the envelope, "It is with great pleasure that next years Queen of the May is...." she paused looking at me, " Miss Jacqueline Marie McConnell."

[*][*][*]

I was shocked, I fully expected a riot, but instead, got a huge applause and everyone was smiling. The kids jumping up and down cheering. It was explained that although there were girls of right age this year, the village decided that for my first year as an official girl I was to be the 501th Queen of the May.

According to the rules, you could only do it once, but a special rule was brought in so I could be selected again and once again all the kids agreed 100%. Oh no! Another year of contests and pageants, at least I already had the outfits for it, I thought, but I had thought wrong.

Arrangements were being made for more dress fittings. Everyone came over and congratulated me, my parents told me not to worry about it and just go with the flow.

[*][*][*]

 


End Of Part Nine

To Be Continued In Part Ten

up
92 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

The Fun has just begun

Jacqueline's fun is just starting and I eagerly await what will happen next.

Thank you for capturing our hearts with your lively and lovely writing.

Jayme Ann
The answers to all of life's questions can be found in the face of a true friend

The answers to all of life's questions can be found in the face of a true friend

Thanks to Stanman

jacquimac's picture

I can`t honestly take a lot of the credit for this part of the story.
Stanman who is editing for me has done a bit of a re-write and made it read a lot better.

Credit were Credit is Due

Jackie

I can almost appreciate the boy's gratitude...

Andrea Lena's picture

...what I still don't understand is why the boy was kept in the dark. Especially since his peers were included. And he's apologizing for complaining about not knowing or having any say or decision? Maybe there's more to come to explain, but it looks just like everyone assumed they knew better than he did about his own life. Even five year old children are given information when they contract leukemia or some other disease. Oh well!


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Queen of The May Pt 9

OK, How many more years will she be so honored?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

So it seems everyone ...

... involved was actively engaged in a long-term con on the one person they all agreed was the sweetest, kindest kid in town, leaving him confused and frustrated for a year and a half before coming clean and admitting that they'd been playing with him the whole time. And, being an obliging victim, he thanks them for the gift of a year and half of losing all control over his own life, and not knowing why everyone was so intent on rewarding him by pushing him to be something he wasn't.

Of course, think how much easier it would have been for everyone, including the poor kid, if they would have just told him up front what was really going on instead of hiding it from him. How much easier for him, and how much easier for them to have a completely cooperative person who knew the score -- instead of someone who went along because he had no choice, and as a result felt powerless against the will of the entire town and even his own family.

In my experience, I've found that it's wonderful when you feel in control of your life, as opposed to being pushed around like a chess piece by forces beyond your understanding. Although to be fair, maybe this mystery was the point of the story ... the punchline to the joke, if you will. So in the end, poor Jackie is taught to be a girly girl, totally in the dark as to why it was important, turning what could have been a peaceful transition made together into a Twilight-Zone-ish moment that went on for eighteen months.

It doesn't really make sense, but what the heck, it was all done with love, right? And if Jack knew what was really going on, there would have been less of a story. After all, everything would have been out in the open, and we all wouldn't have spent time wondering what was really going on.

Still, you have to wonder ... if this is what they do to someone they love, I'd hate to be the town pariah. Tarring and feather starts to look tame by comparison. *grin*

Randalynn

We just have to accept...

WebDeb's picture

...that there is no logic within this tale. Nothing to read too deeply into.
It is conjured from the imagination as some sort of wishful thinking; ie pure fantasy.

You're right, of course

In a way, it's like the ultimate fantasy of someone who just wants the acceptance of their community, so they write a tale in which the community actively assists in the protagonist's journey from male to female as a loving gesture to thank him for being such a mensch.

Seen as a fantasy, it doesn't need to make sense, and in the end, young Jackie will be happy and healthy and warm and safe ... because "happily ever after" is usually what fantasy is all about. *smile*

Randa

Why should the reader have to accept that?.

Andrea Lena's picture

Even if it is wishful thinking the big question that remains is whose wishful thinking? Certainly not the boy's; no indication other than a broadly implied tacit approval on his part as he unexplicitly offers no protest above a whisper. As several folks have pointed out all along, a story doesn't have to be logical per se, but it should make sense in the context of its own universe. It is apparent that everyone in town wanted to see this boy rewarded by making him Queen of the May. What is on everyone's minds, however, and what is unapparent if not completely hidden is why they felt that ushering him into girlhood was a reward in the first place, and why if it indeed was a benign attempt to make his inevitable transition less painful was he not informed. As I said previously and others have alluded to, a ten-going-on-eleven-year-old boy is quite capable of handling bad news. If his mother had died, which I might consider just as traumatic, would they just have told him she was preoccupied for two years? And why he felt the need to apologize for complaining about not being consulted on any of this makes no sense whatsoever? After all, he was the one deceived.

Expecting answers within the framework of the story to those questions seems entirely reasonable and should be anticipated by the author. Whether or not the author is prepared to answer them is her responsibility, according to how she has chosen to tell her story, but it should come to no one's surprise that they were asked, as evidenced by the many comments regarding same.


Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

No flogging

This horse was declared dead several chapters back. Beat that nag all you want, it ain't gonna get up. Either the author gets the point or not. I quit reading the story, I just visit for the comments. But I gotta think at this point any further critical comments may be counter-productive. I mean no offense to all the fine people who have commented, but what is more important here? Offering advice to a new writer, who is free to use as much or as little of it as she wants; or being "right"?

* * *

"Girls are like pianos, when they're not upright they're grand!" Benny Hill

Karen J.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

.......

The kid who has been yelling constantly inside his head, "I'm a boy I'm a boy!" All of a sudden is now a prissy little girlie girl? And... why does this seem like the writing style changed, I'm not hearing Jaquimac's voice anymore... did someone else write this part for you mew?

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Bisexual, transsexual, gamer girl, princess, furry that writes horror stories and proud ^^

I know who I am, I am me, and I like me ^^
Transgender, Gamer, Little, Princess, Therian and proud :D

I, for one, loved the story!

I did say before that I thought there was more to this than we were told.

I read some of the comments, and I wonder what the problem is? Pure fantasy? Of course it is! Geeze, this is a story! We've had boys magically turned into girls, pets, whatever. I just liked the story.

I can see where constructive critcism can be a help. I certainly need it. Just be nice about it! If you don't like a story, don't read it! These stories are like a part of our souls. Maybe we aren't the world's best writers. We do our best, and are generally willing to learn when we make mistakes. Sorry if your standards are too high. Maybe we should write somewhere else. Perhaps you could read somewhere else? Sorry, I'm pissed!

Wren