When Johnny Comes Marching Home

Printer-friendly version

When Johnny Comes Marching Home

Jacquimac

Part One

The Train pulled into the station and the Brass band started playing, the whole town had turned out to welcome home they're local hero who had won every high award and medal that could be awarded to a serviceman.
He had answered his country's call at the outbreak of w ar 6 years ago against all advice and had met with derision from his peers because of his small size ,but he went and fought, no one had heard from him during those 6 long years not even sent to his family, it was as if he had fallen of the face of the earth.
Enquiries had been made by various people and local politicians but still nothing could be found out about his whereabouts, every armed forces dept denied any knowledge of him.

The Train pulled to a halt and passengers disembarked ,no sign of him, the train was searched and drew a blank, where was he? They were told he would on the train and he wasn't. What was going on?
What had gone wrong? Where was he?

The Train had slowed down a few minutes earlier due to some sheep on the track during this time a figure unseen by anyone on the train climbed of and hid in the nearby trees until the train once again picked up speed.

They lonely figure shouldered his pack , picked up his crutches and made his way through the trees to the road .

A couple of hours later a truck driving along the road and saw a dishevelled figure lying at the side of the road and pulled over to see if he could help.
The driver couldn't help but notice the ragged uniform, the severe scaring on the hands and face or the crutches lying along side the body. The state of the soldier was almost enough to make him vomit, he checked that the soldier was still alive the ran back to his truck to get his dispatcher to get help sent to his location urgently then ran back to help the poor guy best he could.

It took 30 minutes for the police and an ambulance to show up a search of the mans pockets and pack failed to produce any form of ID, His possession were meagre at best ,A change of clothing, a little food, most of contents in the pack were small boxes that held in each on a medal.

The doctor that had arrived with the ambulance was checking the body and getting angrier each time he found a scar or injury. Christ this man should have been in a hospital not walking on crutches in the middle of nowhere.

The police officer asked the doctor about the condition of the patient as the paramedics lifted the broken body onto a stretcher. The Doctor lost his temper and rounded on the police officer about not being called sooner, after being assured that the police car had arrived only minutes before the ambulance the Doctor apologised.

“That bad ?” asked the policeman

“Officer, how that man is alive with his injuries is beyond belief and they aren't recent injuries hell some look to be months old” stated the doctor

The paramedics shouted they were ready to move and with the police car in front blue light and sirens screaming into the night they headed for the nearest hospital 20 miles distant

up
162 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Certainly

Certainly caught my attention & I'm looking for much more.Another Brian

I'm very curious

NoraAdrienne's picture

There's no indication of the year or what war he fought in.

an interesting question.

The mention of 6 years leads me to think WW2.
The mention of Sheep on the line seems to preclude the location being the USA.

It wasn't uncommon for people returning from WW2 to not want to celebrate the event. Many had seen things in the latter stages of the war that they could not comprehend. Getting off the train before their home station was the easy way to avoid the band, the major and all that faffing about that the people who didn't go off to war wanted to put on.
Samantha

Definately has

my interest.

Few hurrahs for those returning...

from Korea and even less from Vietnam. There is a shroud of mystery that has set like a thick fog. Sheep are often an image of innocence or sacrifice; such as a 'sacrificial lamb.'
I too am interested in reading on...

Hugging this lost soul, Jessie C

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Interesting Start...

...but I sure hope you can find a beta reader or editor.

Eric

The first casualty of war is

Daphne Xu's picture

The first casualty of war is the truth, or so it's said, and I believe it. I can believe that the services would all disclaim knowledge of him, and get away with it, even with local representatives on board with the search. Not only that, I can believe it getting basic media coverage, and then disappearing from the media. I can also believe it getting no media coverage whatsoever. It's a crime, and justice isn't forthcoming.

I do have a little issue about now, when they get the idea that he'd received every award one could receive in service, and knew when he was expected home.

-- Daphne Xu

Pretty please!

Hi, this short beginning to what is probably a heart wrenching tale begs to be continued. Please! I remember coming home from war and being spit on and called many names, tough times for those of us who willingly answered our countries call. Carol

Carol Anne