Fresh Bread

Printer-friendly version

What happens when the closest person to you in the whole universe reveals that she's not who you always thought she was?


I'd just walked through the door with a couple of my friends when my Mom called to me from the kitchen.

"Jake, honey, could you come in here for a moment?"

"Sure thing. Mom."

I dropped my books in the hallway like normal, and went in to see her. Like usual she was baking. She seemed to love to bake in the afternoon when I got home from school, and today it was fresh bread. It seemed like most Mom's these days were either working outside the home, or content to just buy their bread at the store. Mine baked.

I smiled at the thought. A lot of the guys were jealous of me, which is why they would walk home with me. There is nothing like fresh baked bread when you get home from school and something rotten just happened.

There's nothing like warm cookies and milk.

There's nobody in the world like my Mom.

"What's up?"

"Jake, there's something we need to discuss with you, your father and I. We're worried about some of your friends. More specifically, we're worried about some bullying we've heard going on with one of the girls in your class."

"William isn't a girl, Mom."

"Have you been harassing Amy?"

"No, I haven't, but I'm not going to stop it either. That's what he gets for coming to school in skirts and makeup."

My Mom looked really sadly at me, and for a moment I thought she was going to cry. "I thought we'd raised you better than this."

I went out to the living room to play some Halo with my friends, but those words kept echoing in my head, "I thought we'd raised you better than this."

It's not like I actually did anything to her. . .him. . .whatever. It's not like I did anything for her either.

"Guys, I need to get some homework done," I told them not half an hour later. They'd all gotten their dose of bread and I wanted some time to think before my Dad got home.

I went up to my room. The walls were not a single color. They were my masterpiece. Some portions of them were thick with paint as I'd gone over them numerous times trying to get it all just right. I started painting the white walls of my room when I was seven.

Long ago I'd pained the sun rising over some distant hills on the window. Dad had helped me with the right mixture of paint so that it was translucent and lent a yellow cast to my room every morning. The rest of it was roiling clouds that changed as I painted. Someday I hoped to have it perfect, but there always seemed to be something missing, so I pained whenever I needed time to think.

I was on the ladder that I kept in my room to reach the ceiling when my Dad came in.

For the first time there was something other than clouds on my roof. I'd started painting a hole. I could see the blue sky.

"Jake, your Mom and I would like to have a talk with you." He seemed really sad about something.

"Okay, Dad. I'll be right there."

I went downstairs to the dining room and it was full family council mode. Mom and dad were on one side of the table, and I was on the other. Sometimes I wished that they'd been able to adopt more kids so I wouldn't be stuck alone on this side.

"Jake, honey, I'm really disappointed in how you've been treating Amy."

"But Mom. . ." I let a little whine creep into my voice.

"No buts, Jake. Haven't we taught you that everyone deserves a chance to express who they really are?"

"Yes, but. . ."

"And doesn't Amy deserve that sort of chance?"

"I guess. but I haven't done anything."

"Honey, sometimes that's enough. If your father hadn't done anything, I might be dead."

"Wait, what does this have to do with William?"

"I was born male, Jake."

I jumped back out of my chair. I looked from my Dad to my Mom and back again. "You're kidding, right? You're just trying to prove a point? It's not funny!"

My Dad sadly looked at me, "this is no joke, Jake."

"But, how could you be a guy, Mom. You're the perfect Mom. You've always been there for me, and comforted me. All the other guys are jealous of me."

I was hurt and confused. My parents had always let me know that I was adopted and why. Mom couldn't have any kids. They loved me as their own, and I felt that.

I thought I knew my family.

"I've never been a guy, Jake. I was always a girl inside. I never felt right with the world seeing me as a boy. I was about Amy's age when I transitioned myself."

I thought of Mom walking around like William, and suddenly I felt sick. I couldn't take this. I ran to my room and locked the door, and began to paint.

I climbed the ladder, and got out the white, and starting at the center of the two foot hole I'd created, I started to fill in the sky.

She was my Mom

But she was a guy.

I couldn't bring myself to think of her as 'he' even with this revelation. I knew she was a girl. I'd occasionally seen her naked. Not intentionally of course, and not recently. I remembered getting baths as a little guy, and accidentally walking in on her once or twice. She started locking the door on me when I turned five, but that was a Mom thing.

I remembered her bringing cup cakes and cookies to soccer games.

I remembered all of the fresh bread.

I sat down at the foot of the ladder and cried. When I looked up again, I realized that I'd not been painting clouds, but an angel with its arms open to embrace me. The edges were rough so I finished them, and then began to work on the face. I'd tried faces often enough in school, but never on my walls. And in the space I had it wasn't very big. so mostly I just gave the impression of a face, with a beautiful smile.

I lay down on my bed and looked up at her, my angel. When I turned my head one way, it seemed to look like my mother. When I turned my head the other it seemed to look like. . .Amy?

My heart started to race as I sat there and looked up at that beautiful face. Yes, in the quiet of my room I could admit that I thought she was beautiful. I guess that is part of the reason that I'd not done anything for her. I was afraid how the other guys would take it. Afraid they'd think I was into guys or something.

Would that be so bad if it was for her?

I smiled a goofy smile. I didn't even know if she was into guys.

When I was younger, I'd wanted to find someone like my Mom to marry. I always thought that she was perfect.

Maybe now, I would.

up
147 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ending may have seemed obvious early on but it wasn't yet it was

This took real skill, to take a storyline with a fairly obvious ending yet make it something special.

The twist on a theme that is not a twist or was it?

You have my mind spinning on this ... and don't say "But your mind is always like that" Itinerant.

-- grin --

Most impressive.

This year of stories challenge is impossible but it is sure bringing out some fine tales, sort of a writers workshop on-line.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa

learning family secrets

what a way to learn the family secret. But hopefully, he can make up for his behavior to Amy.
 

"Let me succeed. If I cannot succeed let me be brave in the attempt." Pledge of the Special Olympics.

dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Sweet, and Beautiful

I'm a sucker for some of these stories that show the light bulb go off of acceptance and the discovery that he/you/they might actually be deeper than they even knew.

This was a cup of literary hot chocolate. Perfect for a March Saturday afternoon.

Bailey Summers

Great little story

That was so cool! What a gem!

I can smell the bread

Great start!!! How long before we get to enjoy the rest of it???

Zip

I have to admit

that I am personally left wanting more with this one. The problem I had was I was only just begun. . .and ran into the size constraint for the challenge. I know, I tend to write a lot when the muse hits me.

Thinking about it, I think I might have enough here to expand into the full novel for the final piece of the challenge. That being said, it will be a while before anyone sees any more of this. However, it will come back as a fully edited novel when it does make it's future appearance, pending the actual decision on how that portion will be handled.

I know how you all love to get new pieces to stories here, but unfortunately, this time, patience will be required. ; ;



He entered the hall to get warm. She left it two hundred years later.
Faeriemage



He entered the hall to get warm. She left it two hundred years later.
Faeriemage

I read this again...

Andrea Lena's picture

...this is simply precious to me! This is one of those days where I almost can't stop thinking about being a mom. Really don't mind being a dad...it's all good. But being a mom? Makes me cry. And that's all good as well. Thank you!



Dio vi benedica tutti
Con grande amore e di affetto
Andrea Lena

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

Well, I definitely liked it :P

I thought it worked pretty well as is, but would be quite happy to read a longer version if you were to write it. Great work!

Melanie E.

No need

I think the story is perfect as it is. More words or further details or embellishments would risk weighing down the light balance that you have created.

I loved it, just as it is. Just as we should all love each other, just as we are. And that's the message, no?

Janet

Mistress of the Guild of Evil [Strawberry] Blonde Proofreaders
TracyHide.png

To be or not to be... ask Schrodinger's cat.

Janet

Mistress of the Guild of Evil [Strawberry] Blonde Proofreaders
TracyHide.png

To be or not to be... ask Schrodinger's cat.

Fresh Bread

Wonderful story.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

wonderful

wonderful story and nothing like the smell of fresh bread. keep up the good work.
robert

001.JPG

Still raised well

RAMI

Jake obviously, was and is a good guy. He may have not been acting in a positive manner to Amy, but he wasn't bullying her, and his mom and dad felt comfortable to tell him the family history (not secret) knowing or expecting that his basic good nature would prrevail.

RAMI

RAMI

All Jake has to say to his

All Jake has to say to his friends is that my mother and father were disappointed in me for not helping Amy.

And it's not acceptable to be unkind and cruel, there is no acceptable reason, justification or excuse.

Thanks

D

A crash course in understanding

laika's picture

Jake was one of the 'good' kids at his school in regards to Amy. Mainly concerned with keeping his own social standing in good repair, he'd never go out of his way to hurt her but wouldn't help her either, and probably always ready to laugh at jokes told at her expense, fueling the culture of transphobia. As Moe Howard once said: "All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." Well here's one good boy who's damn well going to do something next time, and to lend Amy some well needed support. Like in that film where Steve Martin---having been raised by a loving family of African Americans---went off on those evil racists (that movie always makes me cry!). A wonderfully moving story, and good for Jake, but it is a bit sad that it seems to take something like this for average folks to stand up to entrenched bigotry...
~~hugs, Veronica

",,, for evil to triumph ... "

...is quite possibly the most misquoted statement of all time. Most source it to Edmund Burke, and yet this has never been found in his writings; a similar, but sufficiently different statement has been found. There are over 20 different versions of this simple statement. All bear a resemblance to the narrated theme of Sergei Bondarchuk's Soviet film adaptation of Leo Tolstoy's book "War and Peace", in which the narrator declares "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing", although since the original is in Russian, various translations to English are possible.
We had over 6 weeks of arguments at school about this one phrase and yet there were only 2 in the class (of 25) who got bored. Many of us looked forward (*gasp*) to that teacher's next lesson.
It was strange to see it here again, attributed to someone of whom I have never heard. (So I looked him up - one of the '3 Stooges' - now, I HAD heard of them)

"The Cost of Living Does Not Appear To Have Affected Its Popularity"in most, but not all, instances

Chances are

That nothing like the quote was ever actually written in Russian. I speak Russian, and the construction just doesn't fit the mindset. If you want a good example, take the seemingly easy translation of the titles of books. Pristupleniye e Nakazaniye, which is most often translated as Crime and Punishment, but the words used are closer to Transgression and Consequences in meaning.

There are a number of miss attributed sayings like this. Like the source of the quote "By the pricking of my thumb, something wicket this way comes." (Although that one originated with Shakespeare and snowballed from there)

Someone will come up with a quote, then attribute it to someone else to lend it weight. This then gets attributed to someone else when they discover that the first person it was attributed to couldn't have said it. Ongoing cycle. The final incarnation is usually a famous person that we don't have many written words for. The more obscure the better.

The reason quotes like this one keep getting bandied about, is that they feel true.



He entered the hall to get warm. She left it two hundred years later.
Faeriemage



He entered the hall to get warm. She left it two hundred years later.
Faeriemage

With this title, I had to read it.

janet_L.'s picture

The first kind of food I learned to make that did not involve opening a can or box was bread.

I've been baking bread on a somewhat regular basis for over thirty years, and now the stuff coming out of my oven makes the stuff from the grocery store look like a pale imitation, and gives the artisan bakers a run for their money.

The moral position of "failure to defend" as a failing is a hard argument to sell, but it is made most unusually well for Jake.

Fresh bread; you can't resist it, can you?

With a title like that, I had to read it; you didn't disappoint me.

I phoned my neighbour this morning and told her I'd made a new loaf. She said, "I'll be right over; get the kettle on."

S.

I wonder

I wonder how many who abuse us are secretly aware of their attraction to us?

Nice portrayal of a visual diary of emotions (bedroom walls)