? ?????????? - Ya Americanka

Printer-friendly version

Я Американка
I - American(female)

copyright 2011 Faeriemage

I stood at the top of the escalator and took a deep breath. I allowed the steady stream of passengers to bypass me, for which I got a few strange, and a couple of hostile, looks.

Of course, that could also have been because of my American clothing. There is a distinct difference between clothing purchased in Russia with a foreign style, and clothing purchased in another country.

Wearing a dress didn't help. Sure, it helped me, but not the situation.

I knew this escalator, one might say intimately. In the mid 90s I'd gone down it a number of times. The problem was that I was wearing sensible male shoes and a suit when I did.

That's not the real problem. The real problem was the length of the escalator, and the speed of descent.

I'm not explaining this well.

Russians do not stand on escalators in the metro. There are two reasons for this: They move too slowly for a person to ride their sedate pace and still make their connecting train, and they are as likely not to be moving at all as they are to be moving.

So, you get used to, well, flying down the escalators. Did I mention they are steep?

The one I was looking down right now dropped about a mile in the period that it moved forward a quarter that distance. I may be exaggerating, but only a very little. Exaggerating the length, not the angle.

Why did I have to wear heels today?

I wasn't worried about going down on tiptoe. That was my normal mode of descent when I'd been here before. Sort of a controlled fall down the face of this almost cliff. You hit each step with your toes, just exerting a bit of control as you fly.

Falling with style and grace.

But never in three inch heels. I may have had my heel lifted as I did it in the past, but probably never more than one or two inches.

I'd started the day wanting to emphasize the changes to the friends I would be visiting, and now here I stood in the middle of a transit between the green and brown lines and wondering what I'd gotten myself into.

I took a deep breath. . .and got into the slow lane. I was in the midst of grandmothers and small children.

I took my steps one at a time, and ached to be joining the flow traveling downward faster than thought.

I took a breath, took another, and stepped out into traffic, figuratively. The ground dropped out from under me and I was flying down with the rest of the insane. I was beginning to enjoy myself when my foot slipped on the tread.

I stumbled the last twenty feet, and walked over to the side of the tunnel to avoid foot traffic as I regained my breath. Well, I fell with a little style, but no grace whatsoever.

"Помогите, пожалуиста. Помогите!" Help me, Please. Help me!

I looked a little way ahead and I was a grandmother leaning against the wall. There was a little blood on a spot above her head, and she seemed to be having trouble standing up. The steady stream of people ignored her as they walked past.

I realize something of Russian culture, at least the culture in Moscow, would be good here. There is no separate word for grandmother and old woman. In essence that makes every old woman your grandmother. In practice that makes every grandmother just another old woman.

"I'll help you." Yes, I spoke in Russian, but since this entire story is not written in such, it will probably help to translate.

"Oh, come here, girl." This is not rude in Russian. In fact it started a warm glow in my heart. She'd just accepted me how I was presenting myself.

I walked over and helped her to her feet, and then steadied her as she wobbled a bit.

"Will you be okay, grandmother?"

"Yes, girl, thank you. Are you from the Baltics?" Most Russians either mistake a real American accent for German (we are hitting our consonants too hard) or the Baltics (generally slurring our words and pulling off the consonants too much).

"No, I'm an American." Her look made it feel like I was going down the escalator again, and the blood left my face. Crap, did I make a mistake?

I'd said американец (americanyets) instead of американка (americanka). That was the equivalent of saying. Hi world. I'm really a boy. I am fluent in Russian, or at least I was so in the mid 90s. I'm a little out of practice. Here's the thing. I say certain phrases without thinking. And those phrases refer to me in the masculine.

"I'm sorry, I meant to say I'm an американка."

She looked at me with a knowing smile and patted me on the arm. "It's ok. I couldn't tell until your slip, girl. You are very pretty."

I blushed, but that wasn't to be the end of it. I smelt him even before I felt the tap on my shoulder. People say that vodka is odorless, but that's only before it is processed by the human body. Someone who is a frequent abuser gains a certain scent to himself. I didn't need to see the bloodshot eyes or hear the slurred speech to know I was in trouble.

"Did I hear you say you were an американец?"

"Hey, you leave the girl alone!"

"Thank you, grandmother, but I can handle this. Do I look like an американец? Really?" I flashed my best smile at him, confident in my body and appearance.

We'd begun gathering a crowd and he was getting more belligerent.

"You're the worst kind. An американец and a faggot." Aren't you impressed? I actually understood it when he called me a faggot in Russian.

"You tucked your #### between your legs like a dog." Ok, so I didn't know exactly what he'd said there, but I could assume from the context.

I heard a gasp from the grandmother and he groped me. Between the legs. Before I'd known what was happening he'd flipped his hand under my skirt and slipped his had all the way to my panties

I stood there for a moment frozen, but then I pulled away. How could even he have done such a thing. I felt the anger begin to boil up inside me even as the grandmother began hitting him with her bag.

No, that wasn't something comical like it would be in the states. Most Russian grandmothers I've ever seen are built like linebackers and about that strong. Their bags would put most hiking backpacks to shame. And she was swinging it like it weighted nothing.

I put a hand on the grandmother's arm. "Grandmother, this one is mine."

The bums body was turned away from me, and his arms were up covering his head.

"Ауу." Which is pronounced Ah-oo-oo, I like it a lot better than the English equivalent of 'yoo-hoo' or 'hey, you'.

With it being only three vowels, it was really easy to use my most feminine voice possible.

He turned toward me curiously.

I pulled back and decked him. Three years of hormone replacement may have destroyed a lot of my muscle mass, but not any of my muscle memory.

He went down like a sack.

"Nice right hook, little daughter."

"Thank you, grandmother."

I helped her over to the next escalator, got her situated in the slow lane, and decided to jump down in the fast lane myself. I don't know whether it was simply standing up for myself, or the fact that I still had adrenaline rushing through my body from that feel up, but I hit every step without stumbling.

I didn't have any problems for the rest of my trip, but that scene stuck with me, and I related it to the friends I'd come to see. We all had a laugh about it, and had a couple of drinks in honor of the drunk. It's a Russian thing.

I've made a distinct effort to change my thinking with Russian since then, and haven't ever made that mistake again. My life isn't perfect, nor would I really want it to be. But now when asked, I am sure to answer clearly, "Я aмериканка!"

up
96 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

russian

That's russian for you lolz. Reminds me a bit of a russian girl I used to date and I due believe she lived in Moskou for a weil.

>wanted to finish up in russian but forgot how to write it down ;<

L1é

Languages with gender can be troublesome

It's the little things that trip you up. Sometimes you aren't even aware you are making the mistake until it's too late.

Once in a Brazilian restaurant I thanked the waiter with 'obrigado', forgetting that's what guys say.

Bolshoe spacibo, Большое спасибо for a great little story.

Janet

Mistress of the Guild of Evil [Strawberry] Blonde Proofreaders
TracyHide.png

To be or not to be... ask Schrodinger's cat.

Janet

Mistress of the Guild of Evil [Strawberry] Blonde Proofreaders
TracyHide.png

To be or not to be... ask Schrodinger's cat.

Good story! Have you posted

Good story! Have you posted it somewhere else, because I'm sure I've read it before?

Um, wow that would be a first for me

An unknowing plagiarism.

I based parts of this on personal experience when I was living in Moscow, and the rest on my own fevered imagination.

I really would be interested in knowing if there is something like it out there, and if I did unknowingly copy someone else's work, I'd be happy to remove this.

Now, I admit I used themes common to TG literature, and so it may simply be that which is causing this feeling of deja vu?



He entered the hall to get warm. She left it two hundred years later.
Faeriemage



He entered the hall to get warm. She left it two hundred years later.
Faeriemage

Huh. Deja vu. The part

Huh. Deja vu. The part about the steep, long escalators is so familiar??? I certainly not accusing you of plagiarism! I sometimes get very strong feelings of deja vu, I usually blame bad brain chemistry.

:-)

OH!!!!

The escalators actually exist in the real world. That would explain that. I may have written about them as well.



He entered the hall to get warm. She left it two hundred years later.
Faeriemage



He entered the hall to get warm. She left it two hundred years later.
Faeriemage

Spacebo

Never mess with a Russian granny.

I almost past this one by

not being fluent in any other language but English. But I'm glad I took the time to try it. Excellent.

Dorothycolleen

DogSig.png

Actually

NoraAdrienne's picture

If you really want to be honest, you'd have to say that your fluent in American English. England and America separated by a common language.

Canadians

Sadarsa's picture

Sorta like their money...

The Canadian language is ~Looney Tooney~ eh? :P

Your only Limitation is your Imagination

~Your only Limitation is your Imagination~

I liked this a lot

A diffeent angle. In the West we don't seem to value our elders as much as the inhabitants of many countries do. They often have a greater experience of life and work and, as in this case, a way of dealing with unruly elements.

A good story, with humour and lessons.

S.

Kinda cute

And kinda scary as well. If this is based on real experience, would you have kept up with the grandmother?

Melanie E.

Moscow

I have to say that my time in Moscow was very interesting, but never this interesting. Hence my tag about this being a fiction story in a real Moscow.

Basically, I used a real metro station as the main setting. It has the longest escalator I've ever seen. I did exaggerate int he story, but looking down the hole from the top it dos seem that long. It likely isn't more than 200-300 yards long, and then a short hallway with a 45 degree turn and another, shorter, escalator.

Basically, from what I saw, the grandmothers are pretty resilient. Yes, even though she hit her head pretty hard, I would assume if she didn't want to go to the medical station, that she was good to go on. They are good about taking care of themselves even though it may seem otherwise sometimes.

She wanted some help up, but that was about it. And yes, I did actually have a couple of situations like THAT while I was there. Helping people who'd stumbled and hurt themselves. I even helped a drunk up once who had split his forehead open. We helped him over to a clinic though, as he wasn't able to respond at all to questions.



He entered the hall to get warm. She left it two hundred years later.
Faeriemage



He entered the hall to get warm. She left it two hundred years later.
Faeriemage

The Russian Attitude

littlerocksilver's picture

We have been to St. Petersburg twice in the last three years. It was interesting to see how we were received in various areas. The people at customs/passport control were a dour lot. I don't think they would have smiled if they had won the Power Ball Lottery. It was like, You have no right to be happy, and we are happy in our misery. My spouses agency works with a large tourist agency in St. Petersburg, and one of their travel guides took us around to some of the places that the more popular tours miss. She took us to the cemetary where more than a million WW II victims of the seige of Leningrad lay buried. It was very emotional, and it was very important for her to show this to us. I am very glad she did. They are a strong people and they went through what is as close to a literal hell as is possible.

The St. Petersburg underground is one of the deepest, if not the deepest in the world. As you were writing about the escalators, I could see them again. The underground stations are works of art (all-be-it communist). Unfortunately, they are still so paranoid that I wasn't allowed to take pictures. They don't trust us.

The infrastructure is shakey, if not crumbling. The beautiful old buildings are crumbling. Billions of dollars in works of art are in an environment that does not control heat, humidity, or sunlight. Sunlight streams in directly on priceless oil paintings. They have three Da Vincis in the Hermitage.

It is a strange mix of the communism still hanging on, struggling capitalism, and tourist traps. One of the tours offered 'shopping'. We looked forward to going to one of the nice department stores we had heard about. Instead, they took us to a souvenir shop selling crap that wasn't even Russian. Another branch of the same store was in the depot that we went through every day. That was a major disappointment.

It was easy to assume when we first walked through St. Petersburg that all the Cold War annimosity was over. It surely wasn't.

Girl.jpg
Portia

Portia

That's amazing

that nothing has really changed in the fifteen years since my last visit to Russia. Granted, I was in the Russian city with a European face, as opposed to the European city with a Russian face (Muskovite attitude there. They hate St. Pete)

I can still smell "Metro Air" when I concentrate. A mixture of damp marble, unwashed bodies, and mildew.



He entered the hall to get warm. She left it two hundred years later.
Faeriemage



He entered the hall to get warm. She left it two hundred years later.
Faeriemage

Paranoid or not...

Current rules in St.Petersburg metro state that you can take pictures, but without flash. If you are doing professional photography or filming something, you still need written permit. The change happened in 2009, before that it all required written permit.

And "They" do not trust locals all the same :).

Lots of languages demand gender specificity

Spanish is a practical example. I totally hate conjugations and there are genders for nouns which gods knows how they choose. El dia - the day, so why is that masculine?

And then there is the fun of memorizing the 9000 words or so of Chinese to be considered literate which I am not sadly able to.

Oh well.

Kim

See

NoraAdrienne's picture

And I always considered it the subjugation of verbs.

Gender and language ...

... isn't peculiar to Russian as I'm sure most people know. It must make cross-dressing or any form of TG activity much more difficult.

There's a Dorothy L Sayers short story in which her detective, Lord Peter Whimsey, identifies a maid as an impersonator because she slips up when speaking French (she is a native French speaker) and she's exposed as a (male) jewel thief infiltrating the house party.

I've never understood why inanimate objects need to have a gender. We were once staying at a small French B&B when we ate in the same room as the family. There was game show on the TV which involved the competitors deciding whether fairly unusual nouns were masculine or feminine. Many got it wrong which cheered me up no end because I do too :)

I'm a bit unsteady on my feet these days and I'm careful on 'normal' escalators; the ones described in this story sound terrifying.

Thanks for posting.

Robi

My wife

Diesel Driver's picture

My wife is mostly a very liberated woman, kept her name when we got married. But she insists on naming her (and my) vehicles or referring to them as "h"e or "she", heh, I tell her "what? It's a machine. It's just an it."

Is that practice more common among women or men or no difference? Anyone have any statistics?

Chris in CA

Chris

Я Американка - Ya Americanka

Some men are rood and crood. Fun story. That Russian Grandma is the kind of lady that is needed around the world.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I liked this a heck of a lot.

I liked the entire thing from the characters to back drop to the little known fact about the well practiced vodka drinker. I loved the setting, I love anything with a real world but different locale than the norm.

Bailey Summers

Me like

xxxx

I lose a lot

Diesel Driver's picture

Not being a Russian speaker I lose a lot of the impact of the story because you didn't include the English of whatever she said. Keeps me from enjoying the story. Sorry.

I used to have a philosophy instructor who insisted that it added impact and meaning to the story he was telling and I told him that it meant nothing to me because I didn't understand french and he just couldn't get it. I finally explained in plain simple ENGLISH that I just figured that if it was so important then he could put it in a language I understood. That he didn't do so, just meant that what he said was of no consequence. Of course he was such a quality instructor that he got upset when I argued the opposite side of a point he was trying to make. It was fun winding him up. He even gave multiple guess tests. Imagine a philosophy class like that.

Of course this is not true in your story because it's only one word. But it still takes away from the enjoyment of the story. I can make an assumption about what you meant but you know that that does... Makes an ... Never mind.
Chris in CA

Chris

this is very good

rebecca.a's picture

This is a great short story. Thank you!

I ran into similar problems in Japan, where the style of speech is heavily gendered even when the words aren't.


not as think as i smart i am

Indeed

I used the gender of the words very deliberately in 'Something to Declare', when Stephanie first meets Roland the French policeman. His first question is "You have been English[female form] for how long?"
He goes on to say that he had a brother, who is now Norman[female version]. There is no way to put that into English and keep the subtlety, the emotion. In that exchange he admits he has read her as trans, implies that he accepts her as female, and finally declares that he has a transwoman as a sister. All in about three short phrases. English, not being so gendered, would not allow such a thing.

One of the reasons I love to travel

rebecca.a's picture

Is that it opens me up to these kinds of things more and more.

On the other hand, English has its own perverse fascination. It's impossible to say something in the future perfect passive in most other languages. Not that one needs to say that a lot, but it's somehow comforting to be able to say: "you will have been disappointed with your choice."

Perhaps I'm mad.


not as think as i smart i am

A humorous example

rebecca.a's picture

ghostofchristmasfutureperfectpassive.jpg


not as think as i smart i am