Emma's Story: Chapter 4

Printer-friendly version
Emma’s Story: Chapter 4
Samantha Jenkins

“Emma, what do you think about sticking around for a little bit?” I lifted my head from Mom’s shoulder and looked at her.

“What do you mean?” I asked, looking into her blue eyes.

“Spend the next few days as Emma, without changing back into Justin’s clothes.” I just glanced at my mother like she had lost her mind. I was happier as Emma than I ever had been as Justin. Rachel and Lizzy both looked at me, trying to figure out what my answer was going to be.

“If I don’t like being Emma full time, can I switch back to being Justin?” I asked, quietly.

“Yes, you can. I’m not going to stop you. But I will say that you seem like you are happier as Emma. You seemed like you were sad when you took off Rachel’s dress last Saturday.” Mom kissed my forehead.

“That’s because I was.” I stated quietly. “I’m not happy being Justin. Boys don’t get to have all the fun clothes, and they can’t put their hair in pigtails, can’t have ribbons tickle their ears. Most boys don’t know what they are missing.” Mom, Rachel and Lizzy all looked looked at me as if I had just made a profound statement.

“I always thought having the ribbons tickle my ears was slightly annoying…” Rachel said.

“I actually kinda like it.” I replied. “I missed it after Mom took the pigtails out of my hair last Saturday. It kinda reminds me how to act.”

“Yeah, but you’ve always been kinda girlish in the way you act.” Rachel smiled. “When was the last time that your hair was short like most other boys?” This one I had to think about.

“It’s been a few years…” I mumbled.

“You like having long hair, don’t you?” Mom asked. The last time that she had asked me to get it cut, I threw a fit and didn’t have to.

“Yes.” I smiled, and then ran my fingers through my shoulder blade length dishwater blonde hair. “I want to grow it out and then donate it to kids with cancer…” Mom looked at me.

“That’s what you want to do with that pretty hair?” Mom asked. Lizzy and Rachel looked at each other.

“Let’s do it together.” Rachel said. Lizzy ran her hand over her mid back length strawberry blonde hair.

“Ok.” Lizzy said. Her mom looked at her, surprised.

“Is anyone hungry?” Mom asked. This is almost a trick question when you are talking to a twelve year old and two ten year olds.

“Yes.” The three of us said at once. Mom looked at Rebecca.

“Where should we go?”

“Somewhere with something the girls will eat.” Rebecca said. She knew that the three of us were picky eaters.

“What about that new pizza buffet place over at the shopping center?” Mom shrugged. Rachel and I looked at each other and smiled. We had been wanting to go there since we had heard that it opened.

“Sounds good to me. Do you want to just take your van rather than two cars?”

“Yeah, Lets take the van.” Mom said, and then she stood up. Rachel and I stood up and started to head for the door to go out and get in the van. “Woah, guys, hang on.” Rachel and I stopped and looked at Mom. “Emma, go wash your face. No daughter of mine is going to leave this house with tear stains on her face.”

“Yes, Mother.” I said, and headed for the bathroom on the first floor to wash my face. Once I had done that I rejoined the others where they standing by the back door. Mom opened the door on the van using remote and watched as we ran out and got in the back of the van. Rebecca and Mom both walked out of the house and Mom turned and locked the door, and then got in the front seats. We had already buckled our seat belts and were ready to go. Mom and Rebecca buckled their belts and Mom started the van. Ten minutes later, mom parked the van and we started to pile out. Rachel and I were used to waiting on Mom to walk with us. We all walked in to the restaurant.

“Who wants to go shopping?” Mom asked, after draining the rest of her drink. We were attempting to shop that morning when we had encountered Rebecca, Lizzy and Rachel.

“We never finished shopping for me this morning.” I said. Mom looked at me and smiled.

“Mom, Can I go back to Lizzy’s?” Rachel asked.

“Fine by me.” Rebecca shrugged.

“Ok, I’ll drop you guys at the house and then Emma and I can go continue our shopping.” Mom said, taking Rachel’s hand and starting toward the door. I followed Mom and Rachel outside and got in the van. The van was quiet on the way home and once we got there, Mom gave Rachel a kiss and then watched as the three of them got out and got in Rebecca’s Honda and drove away. Mom put the van in gear and we were off to the mall, for the second and hopefully final time today.

up
259 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Emma's Story: Chapter 4

Wonder if Emma will want skirts, dresses and hose more than jeans and sweats.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Emma

Renee_Heart2's picture

I'm glad that em gets to stay aroud & her sister's best friend & her mom is accepting. Rachel may be a bit of a tomboy to Emma's very girly manner. I think this is the very begining for Emma.
Love Samantha Renee Heart

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Stick around Emma

Jamie Lee's picture

Fearing what her mom might say upon finding her dressed in her sisters' dress, hearing her mom ask for Emma to stick around had to come as a shock. More so because of the presence of Lizzy and Rebecca.

Had Sharon not have reached the GD portion of the class, might her attitude have been different? Might Emma then have had something real to fear?

Others have feelings too.