Emma's Story: Chapter 8

Printer-friendly version
Emma’s Story: Chapter 8
Samantha Jenkins
A friendship is born…

“I don’t know of too many one year olds that have pierced ears…” I replied with a chuckle.

“You’re not one, you look like your ten…” I heard a familiar voice say behind me. I blinked at Mom once and then turned around. Standing behind me was Abby Jenkins. Abby was the daughter of one of mom’s coworkers, and someone that I knew in passing from school. “Good evening, Mrs. Fisher. How are you?” I gave Abby a quick look up and down. She had a blue tee shirt that read ‘Fun at the beach’ and a pair of jeans on. Her long strawberry blonde hair was tied back in a ponytail with a white ribbon.

“Hi Abby.” I said, Now it was Abby’s turn to blink. She hadn’t figured out who I was yet, and me speaking to her didn’t give her any ideas as to who I was. She raised her eyebrows.

“Do I know you?” She asked. Rachel giggled.

“Maybe.” I said quietly. “I’m Emma.” Abby continued to look at me, still not sure of who I was.

“Abby, you’ve met Emma, you just don’t remember her. How is your summer going?” Mom asked. Abby’s gaze shifted from me to Mom.

“It’s going well, we are leaving for the Florida Keys tomorrow. Are you sure that I’ve met Emma?” I glanced back at mom, hoping that she would come to some explanation as to who Emma was.

“Yes, I’m as sure of it as the nose on my face.” Mom said with a chuckle. I brushed a few strands of my blonde hair back out of my face. Mom had left a few strands on each side of my face loose so that they would frame my face. It was something that almost all of the girls that were in my class did with their hair, and something that I thought would be annoying. I hardly noticed, unless I moved my head in such a way that the hair fell into my eyes. Abby had moved her right hand to her chin as she thought about where she might know this little girl named Emma from. She looked at me, and then at Rachel, and then back to me and I saw a look of realization pass over her face, her sparkling green eyes widened for a second and then she smiled.

“Emma’s not a girl…” She said, a little louder than I would have liked. Shane turned his head, and realized who was sitting at the next table. He had been so engrossed in quietly picking on his six year old sister that he simply hadn’t paid attention to what was going on around him. His gaze shifted from Rachel to Lizzy, to Abby, and finally he stopped on me. He gave me a good look up and down, and then he smiled. It wasn’t a smile that I wanted to see. Mom’s eyes went from me to Shane, and back to me. She raised an eyebrow; she knew of the problems that Shane had caused for me at school.

“If Emma’s not a girl, then who is it, Abby?” he said jeeringly. He looked me up and down again, like I was a piece of meat or something.

“I’m not sure. I know that Mrs. Fisher has a son, but I don’t see him anywhere around here…” Abby let the thought trail off. I’m dead meat now. I thought. I was pretty sure that Abby knew who was standing in front of her. It was at that second that Shane figured out who I was.

“That’s because Emma is Justin.” Shane said loudly. Now several tables turned to look at this rather loud boy. I felt my cheeks turn red and then my eyes started to water. I felt a tear slip out. “Oh look the little sissy is crying. Just wait until I tell everyone I know that Justin Fisher was wearing his little sister’s dress when he went out to eat.” I ran out of the restaurant. I don’t know where I was planning on going, but I know that I ended up on the ground next to mom’s van. I was on my knees, when I felt a pair of arms around me. I knew they weren’t Rachel’s, moms, Lizzy’s, or Rebecca’s. I looked up, expecting to see Shane Barker, but I saw the very concerned face of Abby Jenkins. I heard the doors on the van click and saw the lights flash out of the corner of my eye, and the door in front of me slid open. Abby helped me up and into the van and she shut the door, locking it after it had closed. I sat in one of the captains chairs, with Abby’s arms still around me. Abby’s left hand was stroking my hair and she was gently rocking me. A few seconds later I heard the doors on the van click again and watched as Mom and Rachel came out, followed by Akira as well as a man in a tie. I sat up and looked at Abby in the light that filtered in from outside the van. She too had tears flowing down her face, almost as if she were sorry for me or something.

“Why did you come after me?” I asked as Mom opened the door on the van. She looked at me and Abby and realized that Abby had the situation under control.

“Because I’ve been in your shoes...” Was Abby’s simple, but profound statement.

up
220 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So this Shane Barker is the

So this Shane Barker is the "jerk flavor of the month" around those parts. Emma's Mom and Abby had better get this taken care of right away or Justin/Emma's going to have a whole lot of trouble ahead of him/her.

I hope

ALISON

' that someone introduces Shane to a base ball bat----around his ears!No,that would be terminal,the kneecaps
would be the place.

ALISON

Abby should not have said anything

at all if she 'was in the same position'. A distinct lack of control on her part.

Kim

Not in the same position,

Rather, been in Emma's shoes... It was a matter of her mouth engaging prior to her brain. It happens to me all the time, and I could honestly see my self making this kind of mistake...

A friend in arms

Renee_Heart2's picture

Amy didn't know Shane was thereShe knows what Emma is going through & she is there to help I have a feeling that Shane Baker is in a Heep of trouble with the restraunt, his parents & parents of several others kids he bullied & maybe even with the law. Things are going to get intresting

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Love Samantha Renee Heart

Cat's outta the bag

You know, it really doesn't matter if Shane was there or not. If Abby has been in Emma's shoes, she ought to understand some things just aren't said in public, especially in a loud voice. The word will get out, there is no way Shane can be kept quiet short of terminating him, I mean like permanently.

And Abby doesn't have the situation under control, she just outed Justin/Emma. Of course, Emma started the situation by saying Hi to Abby, which wasn't real smart either, compounded by Mom's comments. Plenty of blame to go around.

Karen J.

"Being a girl is wonderful and to torture someone into that would be like the exact opposite of what it's like. I don’t know how anyone could act that way." College Girl - poetheather


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Proof

One thing that I'd like to point out, is that Shane has no proof that Emma and Justin are the same person. Shane's statement, while accurate, is based on circumstantial evidence. Mom was also unaware that a student that her son had issues with was sitting at the next table. No body else has seen our sweet Emma as anything but a very sweet young lady, so I have this feeling that Shane's parents don't believe the (as far as they are concerned) misinformation spewing from their son's mouth. Also, poor Abby's mouth had engaged prior to her brain doing the same. I do that all the time...

Also, Abby has the situation in the van under control, not the whole situation, which will be resolved in short order.

Lets see how the next chapter progresses, shall we?

Samantha

(I see that not everyone reads the themes of the story as well... ;))

The Author Knows

RAMI

Samantha, since you are the author, you should know what is happening and how the story will progress. However, mom took a big risk by going to a restaurant where Emma would possibly be likely to meet people she knows.

That Shane was there, Justin's nemises only makes it worse. It could have been any other fellow student, who unable to comprehend what or why Shane was appearing as Emma would have let the cat out of the bag at school the next day.

Can't blame Abby. She blurted out what was the first thing on her mind, which would be typical in a situation like that. That she knows what Emma is going through would not change the circumstances.

Mom herself was tounge tied. She should have had a quick pary ready for a situation like this.

RAMI

RAMI

Yes, Mom was slightly tounge tied...

and we don't know what her response was, as we followed Emma outside. I'm fairly confident that Mom had an appropriate response.

Samantha

Proof or not

It just does not matter. Bullies don't need proof, they are even excuses optional. And this is a very, very convenint accusation to put on someone, truth or not.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Emma’s Story: Chapter 8

I se trouble ahead for Emma, glad that she has friends.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

The solution to Shane is very simple!

Turn him ito a frog.

Then no one will believe him.

Good story Samantha.

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita

Same shoes

Does having been in the same shoes need to mean the same experience.
It is not just Abby, but Mom, Rachel, Akira and maybe even the man coming
that is needed.
Humanity needs to quit hoping one person will stand up,
we all are sisters and brothers who in some way have been in the other person's shoes.
More of us need to be there more of the time.

Jessie C :) ;>

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors

Over confidence

Jamie Lee's picture

Despite what Sharon previously told Emma, someone was able to determine that Emma was a person they knew at school.

Because Sharon was over confident in her belief that Emma wouldn't be recognized as Justin, she hadn't made contingency plans should someone suss Emma as Justin.

It happened, Justin has been exposed in the hearing of one Shane Barker, the bane of Justin's school life. But where are his parents as he made the statement about telling everyone at school how he saw Justin dressed? Why wasn't the prick drug off by his ear and had it explained to him how the cow ate the cabbage? In no uncertain terms.

Sharon should have had the presence on mind to lean across the booth and got into the pricks' face and explained what is going to happen should he not keep his mouth shut. And to the parents about how her lawyer would be in touch should they not muzzle their precious pick.

She should then make an appointment with the school principal and explain she believed Justin has an undiagnosed medical condition, and has an appointment with a doctor to determine the nature of the condition. And, that a boy (AKA the prick) by the name of Shane Barker has threatened to tell the entire school of Justin's condition. She should then make it very clear if this boy makes any trouble for Justin because of an undiagnosed medical condition, her lawyer would be filing a law suit against the school, the principal, and the school board.

The prick has to be stopped. Enough is enough. If the school or parents won't do anything then it's time Sharon take the bull by the horns and castrate it.

Others have feelings too.