The Agony Aunt

Printer-friendly version

The Agony Aunt.

Fiction by Johnny Cumlately.

This is a sequel to "A cottage by the sea" which should be read before this story.

.................................................

Briony was enjoying her work for Jim Snow, the local estate agent. She had become familiar with the local area and developed a sense of values of local property. Initially, she worked part time whenever Jim had clients wanting to be shown around properties.

Jim, like many in the village, was aware of Briony's situation and Briony had admitted to him that Brian used to run his own estate agency. She became more and more involved in the day to day running of Jim's business. After some months, Jim had offered her a partnership and after some hard headed negotiation, she agreed. Jim also did little to conceal that he found her attractive but like her friend Jack, knew that he must stay at arms length. Nevertheless, they both enjoyed each others' company.

One afternoon, she had no commitments and decided to go for a walk along the cliff path which ran only two fields away from her cottage. When she returned, she found an envelope had been pushed through the letter box. It was simply addressed to "Miss Briony Parry." Inside was a hand written letter:

The Old Mill, Tanmouth.
Tuesday

Dear Briony,

You were very helpful to Peter and me a few months ago and we met you several times when we were buying The Old Mill where we are now happily settled in.

I do hope you will forgive me contacting you to ask a favour on a confidential personal matter. I have recently become aware that you may be the only local person to whom I can turn for advice. Perhaps we could meet for a chat and I can explain my problem.

Peter is away in London for a couple of days, so I will be sure to answer the phone if you could ring me. Our number is 246759.

Regards,

Julia.

Briony was intrigued. She remembered Julia and Peter well. They were a nice couple moving down from London and had bought the Old Mill which had been tastefully converted into a beautiful house. It was tucked away in a corner of the valley some distance off the nearest road. She was puzzled by the request for advice and dialled the number. Julia answered almost immediately.

"Julia? It's Briony here. I've got your letter and am happy to help if I can."

"Thank you. It's not something we can discuss on the phone. Perhaps we could meet somewhere."

"Why don't you come up here for coffee tomorrow morning..... About 10.30?.... You know where I live?.... Fine, I'll see you then. 'Bye."

Still none the wiser, Briony would have to wait until the morning to find out.

Julia arrived promptly at 10.30 and Briony had already put the kettle on for coffee. They talked for a few minutes about the village and the Old Mill before Julia broached the reason for her visit.

"You seem to have settled in here very happily in spite of possible gossip about you having been born male."

Briony had wondered whether it was something to do with that and was not surprised.

"Yes. I've had remarkably little comment and have been welcomed unreservedly by the local people." She went on to outline what had brought her to Tanmouth and caused her to live as Briony.

"Well, that is why I think you can give me some advice. About two years ago, I noticed that Peter appeared to be engrossed in one of my women's clothes catalogues. He held it up and pointed to one particular picture of a girl wearing a beautiful and expensive dress. It had short puffed sleeves, neat bodice, a belted waist and flared pleated skirt. It was a deep blue except for the sleeve puffs, belt and inserts in the skirt pleats which were silver. 'Do you think that I could look nice wearing that?' he asked. I laughed. 'Its a lovely dress but you would have to have a wig, a stuffed bra, a lot of makeup and some matching accessories!' 'No! I'm serious. I've always envied you ladies your freedom of clothing. You can have interesting colours and lovely soft fabrics. I really would love to be able to dress up like that, even if it was only in private.' I was shocked that he seemed deadly serious about it and said that if it made him happy and he kept it secret, I wouldn't try to stop him. Over the following few weeks, several parcels arrived addressed to Peter bearing the labels of well known stores and I had to agree that he seemed to have chosen some good things with a real sense of style. He also bought a couple of wigs, makeup, shoes and underwear. He had obviously tried on the clothes while I was out and finally asked me to help him with his makeup. I asked whether he had done this before. 'No, but I've always wanted to and never plucked up the courage to tell you.' I did help him and had to admit that by the time I had finished with him, he really looked quite a presentable and attractive woman."

"I guess that you are going to tell me that now he had broken the ice, he wanted to dress up more and more. And you are worried where its leading. Is that why you think I can help?"

"Yes. As soon as I found out you were a transsexual, I thought you would know better than anyone else and be able to tell me how to handle it."

"Well, I'll try. But first, there is a difference between transvestite, transgender and transsexual. This may not be quite the way the medical profession would describe it, but a transvestite, or cross-dresser, is someone who just likes to dress as a woman and often does it for sexual enjoyment. A transsexual is someone who believes themselves to be female in gender but born into a male body and often wants permanent surgical change. My understanding of transgender is somewhere in between, that is someone who doesn't fit the usual expectations of being male or female. I have oversimplified but you need to know where Peter himself believes he fits in. I would class myself as transgendered. I'm not just a transvestite because I've made the decision to live permanently as a female, but underneath, I know I'm male and have no intention of seeking reassignment surgery. I'm very happy with that."

"I think Peter is a transvestite. We still have an apparently normal relationship as man and wife, but he sometimes gets these urges to dress up and wants me to go along with it."

"Well, why not, if it makes him happy? There is another side in all of us but it varies considerably. I'm told that few people are wholly male or wholly female. Does it upset you? Do you think you can come to accept it? You might find that giving him an outlet for his feminine side actually improves your marriage."

"I am starting to accept it, though it did upset me a lot to begin with. As long as he keeps it private I can cope. Maybe that's why he was so keen on buying the Old Mill. Its so secluded and not overlooked by anyone."

They went on chatting for a long time. Julia described some of Peter's outfits with almost a touch of envy. It was clear that she approved of his choice of fashion. She said she was not aware that he dressed just for sexual satisfaction as he seemed so relaxed about it. Finally, she thanked Briony for listening so patiently to her problems and for her wise advice and promised to let Briony know how things developed.

................................................

Briony had little time to reflect on the conversation as Jim Snow found her more and more work. But one day, Briony's phone rang.

"Briony? Its Julia here. I want to ask you to dinner one evening. There is someone I'd like you to meet. Next Thursday?........ 7.30?........... Fine, we'll look forward to seeing you."

Briony half guessed who she was to meet and so was not surprised when Julia opened the door and turned to a lady standing behind her.

"Briony, this is Penny. I think you have met her before but in other circumstances!"

Penny was wearing some lovely clothes - an expensive looking brown dress with long sleeves and a full skirt. She had nice accessories and would have looked a million dollars but for some unfortunate give-aways. Her makeup was a little too heavy as it tried to camouflage a five o'clock shadow. Her wig didn't quite match her natural hair which was visible around the edge. She had quite a prominent Adam's apple and she did nothing to lighten her bass voice.

"Hello, Briony. I know that Julia told you all about my little hobby. She really is very understanding about it and this is the first time I have ever met anyone else as Penny."

"Yes. Julia did come to see me and told me about you. Its good to meet you. I do like that dress. I suspect Julia is quite envious."

Julia had cooked a lovely meal and the conversation flowed easily. It was while they were enjoying coffee afterwards that they got back to the reason for the invitation.

"Briony, please tell me what you think. Am I even half convincing as a female? Don't be afraid to criticise. Julia has proved much more supportive than I ever expected, especially since she went to see you. But I know I could do better and you have the experience to share with me."

"I think I can help with some small things but you must understand that our circumstances are very different. As I understand it, you enjoy dressing up for the thrill of it - not necessarily a sexual thrill but certainly a buzz knowing that you are not who you appear. And you obviously enjoy wearing beautiful clothes which would not be possible for a man. Tomorrow, you will presumably be Peter again. I'm now permanently Briony. Brian got killed off some time ago. This is now my life. Tell me, do you intend to go out as Penny and cope with the big wide world? If so, will Julia be able to cope?"

"Probably not. At least, not at present. I've promised Julia I'll kept it behind closed doors."

Julia nodded. "I don't think I would like anyone in the village to know what Peter does. But I've certainly found that its nice to have Penny around as a girl friend. And even when he's not dressed up Peter is more attentive to my needs."

"That's good, but I rather doubt that you will be able to keep it a secret here indefinitely. Someone is going to call unannounced, even if its just the postman needing a signature. News will get out. I've been accepted because I've always been Briony here full time and they also knew my aunt Mary who born male. Briony has never lived anywhere else. Brian lived another life in London which they never knew. The good people of Tanmouth are tolerant but curious. What would you think, Julia, if it became the subject of local gossip?"

"I would find it very embarrassing. So far, we have found everyone so friendly and welcoming, but that could quickly go sour if rumours got out that Peter was a transvestite."

"Yes, that's what I am afraid might happen. You came to me for advice some weeks ago and you said then that you could come to accept it if it stayed secret. So far all has been well, but you are taking a risk." Briony paused, "I have a suggestion to make."

"Go on then. Tell us." Penny had been quiet up to now.

"From what I learned when I was advising you about the property, you are not short of funds. Why doesn't Penny buy or rent an apartment back in London where she can be anonymous? Somewhere to retreat to when Peter feels the urge to be Penny. You, Julia, can always go as her "sister". Penny might also take advantage of joining a TV club and meeting other like-minded people."

"We have actually thought of that." said Penny. "But as you may recall, I took early retirement when we moved down here and wanted to cut adrift from city life. Nevertheless, what you suggest may be the answer. I don't want to cause any problems which may upset our relations with the local people. We realise that your circumstances were very different."

"Yes. Life here is slow and they like continuity. Because I'm always Briony, they are used to that. If you were sometimes Peter and sometimes Penny, it would throw them completely."

"We would have to choose an area, probably North London, well away from previous friends where we used to live in the leafy Southern suburbs. If I get good enough to pass, I would love to go to the theatre as Penny. That's one thing we miss here."

"Yes. It would have advantages for Penny but even if Julia was with you in London, commuting and being with you as Penny would put a strain on your marriage."

Julia's comment was "Well, we'll just have to try it, then. Rent, not buy, then we won't have invested too much either of cash or emotions. As far as the locals here are concerned, Peter will have to be in London from time to time due to unfinished business."

Julia's acceptance seemed to clinched the discussion.

"Thank you, Briony, for being such an understanding Agony Aunt. There's a possible new profession for you if you get tired of being an estate agent."

Briony thanked them for the meal and hoped she had been able to help.

..............................................................

Julia and Briony became close friends and regularly met for coffee in the small cafe by the harbour.

Penny rented a small two bedroom ground floor flat in Maida Vale near to Lords cricket ground. Peter had always loved cricket and Penny enjoyed lazy days watching matches.

She spent three or four days in London every other week. Occasionally, Julia went with her but did not feel comfortable about it. Penny joined a TV club and made several good friends and received a lot of good advice. Julia went to the club with her twice, more out of curiosity than anything else, and was surprised to meet some other wives and share thoughts with them. They proved very helpful in enabling her to understand Peter's hobby.

But Julia had made it a rule that Peter does not dress in Tanmouth. They have integrated well with the local community, who have been led to understand that Peter needs to visit London often on business.

"I'll tell you something, Briony, Peter's hobby is proving expensive. The rent and out-goings on the flat, commuting, clothes and entertainment in London add up to a tidy old sum!"

Fiction by Johnny Cumlately

August 2010

[email protected]

up
70 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I Remembered

littlerocksilver's picture

I remembered your nice little story from before and didn't have to go back and review it. I am pleased to see another chapter in this pleasant diversion.

Portia

Portia

I've read both now

and very entertaining. The thing I really liked best is the name. Briony, I'm not sure if it's just a play on Brian but I read it and hear (Bree-on-nee) which has a UK sort of feel to me so it fits the setting. Besides I always hear Brianna. You're not afraid to be different and that's a good thing.

Bailey Summers

The Agony Aunt

I can see why Briony's wisdom was sought out. But that last line about Peter/Penny leads to a decision that must be made. Which decision is made will determine what happens to Penny. But I wonder if Briony will have the operation if she finds a mn who loves her?

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

The Cottage by the Sea

ALISON

'was a favorite of mine and I love the follow up.Well done.

ALISON

Penny and Future?

If this story possibly continued which I would dearly like to see, I believe there is a future with Briony and Julia.

Penny appears to be wrapped up in his own agenda, and Briony is being the companion to Julia which seems to be often during his absences!

The ever increasing expense of Penny's hobby will also cause a rift I feel.

Well Johnny another great story with lots of potential!

Thank you.

LoL
Rita

Age is an issue of mind over matter.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!
(Mark Twain)

LoL
Rita