Speed Trap

Printer-friendly version

Speed Trap.

Fiction by Johnny Cumlately.

Robert Whitehead, always known as Bob, was born with the proverbial silver spoon in his mouth. He was an only child and his parents doted on him. His Dad was a pharmacist and owned three chemists shops in a large seaside town popular with tourists for most of the year, so there was a steady income from both tourists and local residents. The family lived in a large house on the edge of town. It was always understood that Bob would one day inherit the business. He had a good education, achieved good grades and later went to college where he graduated with distinction as a pharmacist.

He had a passion for sports cars and was given a beautifully restored 1948 MG/TC for his 21st birthday. He always kept that car but also had a succession of others over the years. He was regarded as a prime catch for a local girl but for him cars always appeared to come first and he did not form any lasting attachments.

Inheriting the family business came all to soon. He was 32 when both parents were killed in a helicopter crash in Nepal. They were keen travellers who loved to visit the remoter parts of the world. The chopper came down in the foothills of the Himalayas, killing the pilot and all six passengers.

What no one, even Bob's parents, ever knew was that his other passion in life was cross dressing. He had always kept it a very closely guarded secret but now living alone in a large house and with plenty of money, he began to indulge in his hobby regularly and quickly built up a large wardrobe of clothes. As far as girl friends were concerned, he kept his distance as he did not see them as sexual partners but rather as the girls he wanted to copy. For a femme name he chose Miranda.

He taught himself the skills of make up and it was this, together with his pharmacist skills which led
to a business opportunity. He devised a range of cosmetics specially for cross dressers and trans-gendered people who needed effective coverage but the ability to remove it easily without leaving any tell tale traces. He started selling them on the internet under the name “Miranda's transmetics” and quickly built up a small but lucrative business. Initially, he operated the new business alone from his home in his spare time.

As a prominent shop keeper in the town, he was soon persuaded to join the local golf club and Chamber of Commerce. However, it was his love of fast cars which eventually led to his undoing.

He loved “wind in the hair” motoring, so always had the top down whenever the weather permitted. He was careful to observe speed limits and knew the location of all the fixed cameras in the area. However, one day he was caught at 44 mph in 30 area by a mobile speed van. The first he knew of it was when a buff envelope fell through the letterbox. As usual in these cases, it required him to identify the driver and warned that a fine would probably be imposed, together with penalty points on his licence. He swore gently but confirmed that he had been the driver and posted the form back without further thought. In due course, choosing not to appear in court, he was fined £100 and three penalty points.

Several weeks later, there was a ring at the front door. It was answered by an attractive girl with long blond hair. She was casually dressed in a loose yellow dress and sandals.

There was a local policeman at the door. “Is Mr Whitehead in, please? I am required to deliver this to him and it needs signing for.”

“I'm afraid he's out at present, but I can sign for it if you like. Is it something important?”

“Well, between you and me, he's in a spot of bother. Seems he didn't reveal who was really driving when he got done for speeding. These new hightech cameras pick up a lot of detail and I'm told that the picture of a girl at the wheel of an open sports car is very clear. And seeking to pervert the course of justice is a serious crime.”

The girl quickly scribbled an illegible signature and the copper went away apparently satisfied.

Bob let loose a string of most unladylike expletives, realising immediately that he was between a rock and a hard place. If he pleaded guilty, he would still be told to disclose who was driving and if he refused, he might finish up in prison. If he pleaded not guilty, his defence would involve making his cross dressing public. He couldn't win and spent a sleepless night trying to decide what to do. His decision was simple. He would attend court “dressed” and plead not guilty. He was sure the local press would have a field day but the fuss would soon subside.

And so, when the case came to court, he stood in the dock immaculately dressed in a beige skirt suit with a white blouse and red chiffon scarf. He wore brown shoes with three inch heels and matching accessories. With his long blond wig and make up he looked very bit the woman he wanted to be. The magistrate seemed puzzled to see a woman in the dock.

“Name, please?”

“Robert Whitehead” he answered in his usual bass voice.

The magistrate held a brief conversation with his clerk. He asked again “Please repeat your name.”

“ROBERT WHITEHEAD, YOUR HONOUR!”

The magistrate consulted his papers.

“Case dismissed!”

Bob was aware of a flurry of activity in the press gallery and when he reached the door of the court house, he was met by a battery of press photographers. He smiled and waved to them before walking confidently to his car and driving home.

Once safely through his front door, he kicked off his heels and poured himself a stiff drink. The ordeal had left him emotionally drained. However, now he been outed and everyone knew about it, he realised that he could dress whenever and wherever he liked. If he did so with confidence, local people would soon get used to it.

The local press headlines screamed “Speeding cross dresser in court!”, “Local drag queen escapes prosecution!” and several others. But as he expected, it was a nine day wonder.

…...........................................................

Six months later, Miranda was often seen around the town, always elegantly dressed. Business was booming. He bought a small hotel which now catered exclusively for transgendered and cross dressing visitors. Miranda's transmetics were selling well and he employed two assistants. Even the turnover in his shops was well up.

He had, however, felt it necessary to resign from the golf club. He didn't think it would be fair to drive off from the lady's tee!

Fiction by Johnny Cumlately.

[email protected]

May 2015.

up
210 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

neat

short and punchy,I like it !

I'd like to believe our

I'd like to believe our biggest fears are mostly in our heads, and like this story shows, the reality isn't as bad as we feared.

But, I'm don't want to be the one who tests that theory.

Jeri

Jeri Elaine

Homonyms, synonyms, heterographs, contractions, slang, colloquialisms, clichés, spoonerisms, and plain old misspellings are the bane of writers, but the art and magic of the story is in the telling not in the spelling.

If you mean ...

... "He didn't think it would be fair to drive off from the lady's tee!" even in his TC, then I think you're right. Divots can be replaced but tyre tracks might be more of a problem :)

A neat story that illustrates the point that probably 90% of people don't really give a toss what you do as long as you don't frighten the horses and the other 10% are mostly irrelevant. Was't always the case, of course, but I think it may be now in the UK.

thanks

Robi

showing taste and decorum

by resigning from a golf club! probably full of ultra homophobic look at me I'm in a golf club! and I agree with the previous comment, even in the UK it seems many dont care, just got helped by a very nice lady when buying ladies jeans in ASDA(Walmart to our USA sisters!) she never batted an eyelid, explaining the merits of differing waist heights and what style of leg to choose, boy do they fit well and apart from the slightly girly pattern on the pockets, whos going to notice?

Surprisingly, it's true.

Oh yes, there will always be the redneck who notices something something not quite "right" and try to make an issue of it, but most people, when they are out shopping or whatever really couldn't care less how someone is dressed or acting as long as that person is not causing problems.

I was, like most I guess, scared to death of appearing as a female in public, but I very quickly found that most folks are "on a mission" when they are out and can't bother to take the time or brainpower to take a good hard look at someone else or wonder if that "woman" is actually a woman.

Of course, for me, my transition was almost ridiculously easy compared with the horror stories I've heard. I laid meticulous groundwork before I ventured out in public and simply showed up for work as Cathy, after determining that there would be no problems at work. As for the general public... well, there were a couple of incidents. One easily dealt with and the other requiring me to exercize what male strength and wit I still had. At this poing in my life I think, if I went out anywhere without my hair and makeup, the neighbors would worry that there might be something wrong with me.

At stores I have never has any problems at all. At the V.A. clinic and the hospital in Buffalo N.Y. I have been treated with respect and dignity and, in point of fact, I can hardly visit the V.A. clinic in town without getting hugged at least three or four times. The same goes for my local supermarket, Walmart, etc.

Attitude is everything, I've heard said and I will agree that a positive attitude and a smile do work wonders with acceptance. There are, of course, some people who DO notice something a little "off" about me, but I've found that is more out of curiousity than animosity. I have had a few ask why I dress as I do and some who call me brave for daring to be who I really am. Funny though, I just feel at ease for the first time in my life, as opposed to feeling brave. I know that my presentation is, at best, marginal, so I always make sure that I am dressed and made up accordingly to where I am going. Around here though, there really isn't a lot of difference in how folks dress. Male and female both usually wear jeans and shirts/tops or other appropriate clothing for the weather.

All in all it comes down to: Can you continue to live as you are, or can you muster up enough whatever to BE who you really are and damn anyone who has a problem with it? Stand tall and smile. However you dress, you'll find that most people will either ignore you and accept that you are who and what you appear to be. Role camoflage is something that works as long as you don't make yourself noticable. Blend in, head up, smile, don't be a stereotype and you might just be surprised at how UNnoticable you might be.

One other thing. DO lay very careful and meticulous groundwork as you prepare for your first time in public and at work. Sound out your co-workers and bosses. Make sure that they don't have a problem with what you propose to do and do all the legal stuff/paperwork you must do to change the gender markers etc. Do NOT just show up one day in a skirtsuit and hope everyone will understand and accept.

Once you have done all the legal stuff and prepared your co-workers, then dress accordingly and SMILE! Stand up straight and be proud that you are finally appearing like you truly feel you should be.

I will now climb down from my soapbox.

Catherine Linda Michel

As a T-woman, I do have a Y chromosome... it's just in cursive, pink script. Y_0.jpg

not all homophobs are rednecks!!!

kayla don's picture

I live in the southern united States and am proud to be a redneck where I'm from its a badge of honor, it means your a hard working good old boy or girl.Now white trash is a badge of shame there is a difference.

I've met more homophobic people up north then I ever have down south hell I know plenty of gay folks and they'll tell you the same that they'd rather live here then up there.

Don't get me wrong you might run into one or two people that have a issue with you but most of them live in the suburbs and believe in minding everyone's business but their own.

Sorry for the fit but it ticks me off when redneck is the first thing people point to when they hear bigot.

PS cute story=^_^=

Damn straight

Haylee V's picture

I've seen more racism and bigotry in Detroit than I ever did in my 35+ years of living in the Carolinas. And it's portrayed in a very subtle manner here as well. At least Southern bigots have the balls to come right out and tell you to your face they don't like you, and why. People in the "D" hide their true natures, then stab you in the back once you've let your guard down. The worst I've ever experienced, though, was when I went to Chicago. Some friends (both cis and trans) and I were having a quiet drink at a bar when these two rather unruly African-Americans came in and exclaimed, quite loudly, "Would you look over there. Nothing like a table of tranny fags to bring down the class of a bar." Without missing a beat, my trans friend got up and stated loud enough for all to hear, "Even in a dress, I'm more of a man than you'll ever be. You demand equal rights, and your parents and grandparents fought for that right, sometimes even losing their lives, just so you could have the freedom to say what you've. just said. You seem to forget that in the 60s, you and your kind were in the same boat, facing the same hatred you're spewing out now. We just want the freedom to be who we are, the same as you do. What you've just done, whether you realize it or not, is the same as if someone had walked up to you and screamed out the N-word. And, as you seem to be a sexist and racist bigot, I'd say they would have been well justified in doing so, for that is what you have acted like - a stupid, ignorant fool. Now if you don't mind, show yourselves out, so we HONORABLE ladies can enjoy our drinks in peace."

The entire bar was silent for a few seconds, and then the applause became thunderous. People began pointing and laughing at these two cretins, and they left with their tails between their legs. After things died down, we were treated to a round on the house. Never before had I felt so vindicated as I did just then, but it saddened me as well that someone that had first-hand experience with racism would choose, openly, to propagate the hate rather than spread hope and love.

*Kisses Always*
Haylee V

ok I'm curious

Alecia Snowfall's picture

Ok I'm curious. Do U.K. police departments/precincts have a quota of traffic citations(tickets) that they have to issue per week/month like in the U.S.?
 
I'm not really wanting to get into the redneck/phobic argument, just want to say of myself. There are proud southerners that have nothing to do with the redneck stigma; I like to think I'm of that inclination. Yes I like to ride horses, four-wheelers, the occasional motorcycle. And yes I think its common to gather at the kitchen table during the day and on the porch in the evening. Jeff Foxworthy is funny and yet Duck Dynasty are fake to me(yes I do live in the same town as the DD cast). I know Jeromy and David of Swamp People and like them, yes they ARE rednecks but very nice. The town I live in isn't very TG friendly. In fact its hostile to Transpeople. There is a difference between southerners and rednecks. Some play up the redneck stigma but unfortunately there are so many that play it down. For those that keep it clean and humorous without prejudice, I applaud you for that. my apologies for the rant. Ya'll have a great day.
*steps off the soapbox*

quidquid sum ego, et omnia mea semper; Ego me.
alecia Snowfall

Loved the story but if I was

Loved the story but if I was Miranda I would have loved to drive from the ladies tee!

I have no problem

driving from the ladies' tees, as that's about where my first drives from the men's lands...

Loved it

I loved this short story. As usual with you, it is very well crafted. One point that I stick a little on: Bob/Miranda just decides to show up in court as Miranda? Since it's assumed there are reporters already waiting at court, that's just begging to not just be outed but be a headline and some photographs, probably all over the country and even internationally - even if only on page 8 and only a small headline in some venues. Wasn't there a quieter way to come out publicly and to convince the court? An even smaller point: since the reporters were taking pictures in court, I would think at least one of them would pursue the juiciest pictures/story of at least the week and follow Miranda/Bob away from the court in her/his MG to get more pictures and perhaps a pithy quote or two. Especially pictures.

Anyway, just wanted to say I truly loved the story. It's another good one as yours always are. Thank you for sharing it! :-)

Oh. I read it aloud to my wonderful S.O. and she laughed and really liked it, too. She's an author herself and a professional editor, so you clearly have good taste in who you impress. Kudos again. :-)

Annie

What Robyn says is pretty much true.

In most parts of the UK transvestism and transgenderism is becoming pretty much 'old hat'. There are a few places where the locals are pretty backward but by and large, people might look but that's about the size of it. Occasinally a crowd of dumb kids and the occasional idiot parent will stare and comment but as often as not a direct stare or even a short remark makes them feel stupid.

bev_1.jpg

Nice, light hearted tale

[He had, however, felt it necessary to resign from the golf club. He didn't think it would be fair to drive off from the lady's tee!]
Excellent point. This is what pissed my off the "Gaby universe".

She would probably have a

She would probably have a problem with the choice of restrooms any way.
What a great little story, looking forward for more.

Karen