The Omega Unicorn Chronicles Book 1 Spring Break Chapter 2

Printer-friendly version

Spring Break
Chapter 2

By Rachel76m
Edited by Don Kaufman

List of Characters
Angathorn Kingdom
King Dryden - King of Angathorn Kingdom and Grand King of Twainor
Thryson Kingdom
King Tierion — King of Thryson Kingdom
Wizard Renard — Master Wizard
Sorceress Trianna — Master Sorceress
Wizard Braden — Second Wizard of Thryson Kingdom
Dwarves
King Thranton — Dwarf King of the Thryson Mountains Under Kingdom
Telgon — Ambassador to Thryson Kingdom
Durlond — Ambassador to Thryson Kingdom
Maon — Ambassador to Ringol Kingdom
Valar — Ambassador to Eirecann Kingdom
Draknor — Sword-bearer- member of King Thranton's inner circle
Balknor — member of King Thranton's inner circle
Earth
Richard Moore
Brianna Wilson — Richard's childhood girlfriend
Josh, Greg, Larry and Xander — the four bullies from the sixth grade.

~~~000~~~
A bearded man walks through a crowd of people down the stone path towards the fortress. He walks past the guards posted at the front gate. Once he enters in the inner court area, he stops and looks around until he sees three other men talking together. He waits until they notice him. He nods his head up and down. The other men there acknowledge him. They start walking towards him and join him. All four walk together into the fortress to meet the king.

"Do you have the petition?"

"I have it, Balknor. The King will now have to pay attention to us. We have enough votes from our Fortress Lords this time. However, some were reluctant to sign until we promised them a vote in the new regime."

"You know we aren't going to do that. That would weaken our hold over the people. Did you have to use our alternative plan to get them to sign it?"

"Yes, I did. You should have seen their faces when I told them what we did."

"That's good." He gives an evil sneer. "That will teach them not to mess with us."

"The other news we heard is the arrival of these Outside Helpers. If you ask me, the Upper Kingdoms can have them. It is time we take care of ourselves."

"I agree Draknor. We have the wealth in the mountains. We have enough to feed our own people by ourselves. We can always trade with our brethren in other Under Kingdoms for what we need."

"Yes, the Upper Kingdoms can dig for their own gold and silver."

The four stop before the double doors, they smile at each other. They turn and walk forward. The guards at the double doors open the doors for them.

They walk forward and see another man talking with the King. The King looks to see who is walking in. They stop talking to take notice of the four walking in together.

"What do you have this time, Draknor? You're trying my patience very much."

"My Lord, please we only want what is best for our kingdom. We are only concerned for our people."

"What about the Upper Kingdoms? Why should we sever ties with our neighbors?"

"What have they done for us? Nothing! They fight among themselves to find new fishing grounds. We have enough fish in our waters here."

"I don't think you thought of everything, Balknor. It takes more than fish to feed us. You know it takes sunlight to grow crops. We need a balanced diet to have a healthy life."

"I'm sorry Telgon. I didn't know you were included in the argument. I was talking with the King, not you."

"Someday you'll know what the ambassadors do in the other Upper Kingdoms Balknor. Apparently you .... "

"Hold, Telgon, I know you mean well."

Telgon takes a breath, "Yes, my Lord."

"All right Draknor, I take it you have something to give me?"

"I do King Thranton." Draknor unrolls the parchment and shows it to him. "I have here the signing of our Fortress Lords. We have enough to declare you incompetent to lead us."

Telgon stares down at each of them standing before the King.

"In what way I have misled you?"

"One, is giving away our wealth to the Upper Kingdoms. If they want it, they can dig for it themselves."

"Two, having our army join with their armies. Let them defend the surface. We'll take care of our own."

"Three, these trade pacts with the Upper Kingdoms have made us weak. We'll trade with our brethren only."

"Is that all, Draknor?"

"No, but we'll think of some more later."

"What about the royal court. What about them?"

"They will become ordinary people like everybody else."

"How long do I have before I have to submit to this demand?"

"We can wait until these Outside Helpers go back home."

"I see, I suggest we wait until then. Perhaps something new will happen to change your minds."

"I doubt it King Thranton. The people demand leadership who are more accountable."

"Very well, until then."

The four men did not bow before the King. They turn around and walk out of the throne room. Once they left the room. Five other men come out from the side curtains. All six line up in front of King Thranton.

"What are you going to do my King? Surely you're not submitting to their demands."

"No I'm not. To get those signatures from the other Fortress Lords, those four must have promised them something. Find out what it is. I doubt they will fulfill them once they are in power."

"You know they will starve our people if they do this."

"I know they will, Maon. They have not done a proper accounting with our food stores and how much we eat. Have those numbers ready for proof."

"Yes, my Lord."

"We'll need the other numbers about what we do in trade with the Upper Kingdoms. You can get those from your respective Upper Kingdom. I bet our people have not been told everything what will happen when these four will rule."

"Probably not, King Thranton. We'll be ready for them."

"When these Outside Helpers come here, they will be in the Upper Kingdoms. How come we did not get any of our own?"

"You're not thinking of the big picture Valar. Even though each Upper Kingdom gets one Outside Helper. Our Under Kingdom really has access to three Outside Helpers when you really look at it."

"That's right, Durlond. But, from what I hear, they only come when there is a crisis happening to all of us."

"Either way, they're here to make sure our world survives an ominous threat. I doubt we have the means to protect ourselves if someone decides to destroy our world."

"But what is so special about our world? I mean we can do magic, we are part of the First Ones before the Upper people showed up."

"King Thranton, why are we called the First Ones?"

"Well, from what I have read in the chronicles, we were first to arrive here on this world several thousand years ago. It states we are survivors from another world."

"Another world? Then how did we get here?"

"According to the story, the Maker picked us up and carried us to this world. I assume the other world suffered a catastrophic fate. The chronicles don't have any other information from there."

"Too bad there were no eye witnesses to have it recorded."

"I agree, Maon."

"Telgon, I am giving this crystal sphere to you. It matches with mine. If you have an emergency, call me immediately."

Telgon receives the crystal sphere and puts it into his pocket. "Thank you my King." Telgon bows his head and raises it up.

"Well we have talked enough my ambassadors. Go back to your respective Upper Kingdoms. Keep your eyes and ears open. Find out all you can about these Outside Helpers and what their talents are. You still have your regular assignments plus what was just mentioned here moments ago."

"Yes my Lord." All six ambassadors bow their heads; the King returns the bow with a nod of his head.

They all turn and walk out the double doors leading to the throne room. They turn right and walk down the hallway; they open a door and walk into a room. They see three Upper Kingdom Wizards there sitting together before a lit hearth talking to each other. Their wives are sitting together in another part of the room talking among themselves.

They all stand up when the six men walk into the room.

Then one of the Wizards speaks up. "Did it go well?"

"We were interrupted by the Four. They presented their petition to have our King removed after the Outside Helpers leave."

"Perhaps there is a way to thwart this. We do have some time to get the facts together."

"Yes, we need to get our reports ready and show the numbers to the people of our Under Kingdom. We need to show them what will happen when there is no food."

"It will be like during the First War, Durlond, from what I have read so far."

"I'm sure you're right. Well we are ready to fly back to the Upper Kingdoms. It is nice to visit home once in awhile and see friends."

"Yes it is Telgon. See you later my friends."

Each of the men gives a handclasp and hand to the shoulder. They smile at each other. Their wives give each other a quick hug and a smile as well. Everyone in the room picks up their satchel and puts it on their shoulders. They all pair up with their respective wizard who brought them there.

"Is everyone ready?"

"We're ready Braden."

"Very good."

The wizards put their palms outward and recite the transport spell. They disappear in a blink of an eye. They start flying to back to their respective Upper Kingdoms.

~~~000~~~

Well, now that the meal is prepared. We're ready to eat.

Renard takes the bowls of mixed vegetables and fruits and places it on the table near the kitchen. He then places the utensils and plates in their position. He then places a piece of folded cloth on top of plate. He then takes a pitcher of water and sees that it is low. He recites a spell and faces his right palm and the pitcher gets refilled and the water temperature is cooled as well. He then places two pewter mugs and the pitcher of water on the table.

"All right Richard, the noon repast is ready."

"I'm coming. How do you turn off the images of the crystal Renard?" I get up and push the chair into the table and walk to the table where the meal is set out.

"I'll take care of it now." Renard walks over to the table; he faces his right palm towards the crystal and recites a short incantation. The image disappears above the crystal. He walks back to the kitchen table.

I see before me fruits and vegetables that I have not seen before. "Uh, Renard... as beautiful it is, I will need some help to know which are vegetables and fruits. I can tell there is no meat put out because I see no muscle cooked. Plus fruits are generally sweet no matter what color and shape they are."

"Yes, I will help you. But you're right about the meats and fruits. Well let me give Thanks to the Maker before we start. When I end it, you respond with Thank you Maker."

"Yes, by all means. Please give Thanks."

We both bow our heads while Renard gives Thanks. "Maker and Creator of the Universe I give thanks for this meal we are about to eat. Allow the food to give us the strength we need to do the task before us. I wish to give thanks especially for our Outside Helper who has arrived here safely. Give him the knowledge and peace of mind that he needs to be most effective to help us and his own world when the time comes. I also wish to give thanks for my King for being a great host and leader in Thryson Kingdom. May the meetings ahead show proof that we are not alone in your Creation and Richard's home world to know someday that they are not alone in the Universe as well. Because someday they will need an Outside Helper to solve a problem that they can't do on their own. Again we give you thanks and praise for all that you have done here on Twainor and around the Universe. Thank you Maker."

Renard paused, then looked up and sees a tear down Richard's face.

Richard looks up and smiles. "Thank you Maker and thank you Renard. I could have not said it any better."

"That's all right. Usually the Thanks are shorter, but this is a special occasion this week. Most of the Thanks you will hear will be like this."

"I understand; it is the Maker who is doing something wonderful for everybody."

"Right; now what we have here are various fruits and vegetables. Some of the nuts and greens you see are raw like the voli ber, the tasyr, the jhaereli and the systarai."

Renard points to each one as he says the word. But since he shared his language with me I knew what each one is.

"The cooked vegetables are the mol shael, the celolai and the olym mer. In this bowl I have a selection of fruit that you will like. Like you said, they are sweet."

"Thanks Renard, so let's begin my first meal."

We each take a portion from the vegetables and greens and added what we wanted on top. Needless to say the food is excellent. The flavors are very bright to the tongue. My mouth watered every time a piece of food came near it. The last time this happened was when mom made a summer dish that everybody craved. This food is reminding me of it. I clear my throat to catch my breath and to take a sip of water.

"That is incredible Renard. I've never tasted such great food. My taste buds are jumping for joy with each new bite."

"I'm glad you're enjoying it. But you know; we have not gotten to the fruits yet."

“I know, those fruits might unleash a small tidal wave into the bowl before I even taste it." I laughed and giggled at the thought... giggle...

Renard gives a chuckle as well. "Well let's be careful then."

We continued eating the vegetables and greens for awhile.

When we finished eating that serving, Renard reaches for the fruit bowl and hands it to me.

"Thank you." I take two of the fruits and put them into my bowl.

"You're welcome." Renard took the other two fruits.

I take my knife and cut in half both of the fruits. Inside I see a glistening red pulp in one with small seeds. The other fruit has a very bright yellow coloring to its texture reminding me to a similar fruit back on earth with one large seed in the center. I take the knife again and cut the halves into smaller pieces so I can use my spoon or fork in picking it up. I remove the rind and seeds and set them aside.

I put a piece in my mouth and then 'bam', my tongue and mouth explodes with fruit juices with my saliva mixed in. I slowly eat what is in my mouth and wipe it occasionally to soak up the dribbling juices off my chin.

When I finished a bite, "These fruits are incredible. I've never tasted such flavor. These fruits don't even come close to one of ours. Thank you Maker for bringing joy to my taste buds." I giggle like a kid eating fresh fruit from a tree in an orange grove for the first time. "These fruits do bring back the memories when I was a kid eating a particular fruit for the first time."

"I'm glad you're enjoying it. Yes, the Maker does know how to brighten up the soul." Renard has the same problem and he has to wipe his mouth and chin as well.

We laugh and chuckle while we eat my first meal on Twainor. I won't forget this experience ever.

After awhile, we get done with the meal. I decide to help in cleaning up the table. When I bring the scraps over, Renard gives me another lesson.

"We save the seeds and put them in separate bags and jars and give them to the local village nearby. The local farmers will sort them and dry them to preserve for the next planting season. The rinds from the fruits and cuttings from the vegetables are given to them as well. Nothing is wasted."

"Yes, that is a very good idea. We do the same thing on my world as well. But since we have a large population, we have groves and farmlands that are very large and scattered everywhere."

When we get done cleaning up, we walk outside and sit in the chairs on the wooden porch deck.

"I would imagine so. Since our population is small compared to yours we don't have to clear as many forests to plant those crops or raise animals."

"Yes, as your population grows, you will adapt. But it depends on how fast you populate."

"You had a major reduction in your population when you had your wars and diseases. Apparently your world was reaching a breaking point in providing for so many people."

"We were, but still three billion people are a lot. My world has gone through a lot of changes over time. Our historical record for land and skeleton remains are quite vast. We estimate millions of years ago that we had at one time very large animals that are mostly large reptiles that are as big as your cottage or bigger. Some were very small as well. They survived for millions of years until a major impact from a meteorite plunged into the earth causing the mass extinction of those creatures. We gave those creatures various names from the skeleton remains. There were some that we found still had their scales and skin on, but that is rare."

"That is incredible, Richard. Were your people there at that time? What happened next?"

"We did find some human records that old, but not that many. That large meteorite caused a major change in the Earth's ecosystem. Very few animals survived that explosion. It took thousands of years in some areas before things warmed up. Then it became the age of different animals and humans at this time. But the written record of language was not done too well. It is still very hard to find such records well preserved for those times."

"The people of Twainor record our history as well. We want our children's children know what we went through and hopefully they will learn these lessons so as not to repeat them in the future."

"We hope so as well on Earth. From our records, there was recorded a major worldwide flood about five thousand years ago. I've read that the population may have reached four to nine billion people before it happened. The Maker was able to preserve life by having a family build a large boat to save the animals and themselves. When the flood subsided they were able to repopulate the Earth. It took two thousand years before it reached its first million people. Then it took another thousand years to double that. That is when the Earth encountered its first set back in knowledge gathering."

"Knowledge set back? What happened?"

"Most continents were isolated still, but those that had access to it thrived. But there was a particular city built on a coastal delta with a great library. It had the known collection of knowledge from three of the major continents. What brought it down were several things. The first one is war. People fought over idea and thought to who was right or wrong in preserving the past. Some people said the knowledge was evil and should be burned. Some tried to preserve it and bury it and hide it in caves. When the riots came they burned the great library. But what hurt the most was that part of the city was built on this sandy river delta, it had no true foundation."

"So it sank underwater and remained buried to this day. It probably took over a thousand years to recover the lost knowledge Richard."

"It did Renard. That part of the world encountered a time afterwards we call the Dark Ages. There were still other societies around the world that had their own vast knowledge but it took centuries to get them reconnected again. Then one thousand and three hundred years later it reached 85 million people before we reached our first major life test."

"Life test? You're talking about disease, right?"

"Yes, in one particular part of the world there was a disease outbreak that reduced the population from 85 million people to 60 million people. It took two hundred years for that population group to recover."

"But that triggered a change to understand food and how to preserve it, right?"

"That's right Renard, once that was understood, our population started to increase at a much faster pace. The life expectancy started to increase and people started to live longer as the centuries rolled on especially with the advent of medicines and understanding how the body works."

"But something went wrong as your population increased right?"

"Yes, there is a phrase that we have. 'You will always have the poor with you.' We have nations where you have the rich and the poor living side by side according to their own abilities. Each one is trying to achieve their dream of living life and passing it onto their children. Not all nations are economically the same. The rich nations do provide help to the poor nations at least, because that is the right thing to do. But there are some poor nations who do not want that help and try to do it on their own or worse."

"Yes, I can imagine the people suffering in poverty while the leaders, the kings and queens are rich. We had that problem as well with our two rogue nations over a hundred years ago. It’s on a smaller scale, but the issues are the same. You mentioned earlier in the day you might have had beings like our First Ones and magic."

"There is not much to add from what I said earlier. We have drawings, paintings, stories of them around the world. I really need to do a proper study on the matter. These stories are quite varied with different understandings in each nation and culture. As far as magic goes, it is the same problem. For example I might be able to do a neat sleight of hand trick, but it could be perceived as magic by someone who is naive enough to think it’s the real thing. Or I could do something by putting something into the glass of water to make somebody ill."

"Yes, I see what you mean. Even though our world is magical, it is still a responsibility to use it properly and what their motives are. The child might resort to such tricks when young, but if he keeps deceiving others as he or she gets older then that person will never learn the ability to do greater magic like a wizard or a sorceress."

"That goes hand in hand with knowledge on my world Renard. Even though I am considered very smart, there are some things I don't know. And I will say it, because it keeps me humble. But there are people who might know of a subject better than I do. I'm not a surgeon, not a farmer, I'm not like other people, but that does not stop me from reading and learning about my world and trying to know what is going on. That is where the power is, learning the world around you. I have met people who are content with what little they know. But I have seen people who abuse it when they misunderstand it."

With shrewd eyes and narrowed, Renard smiles while Richard talks. He has acquired much knowledge; he is like a library himself, always learning. King Tierion will greatly appreciate this excellent resource. He likes to have such people around him to give him the information he needs. King Tierion is second to Grand King Dryden when needed in such world matters and decisions. Yes, the Maker chose the right one to be our Outside Helper.

"So, what of your world? You mentioned your world war that you just had two generations ago. What was it like in the past?"

"The stories that I read about the First Ones is that they were here for thousands of years living in peace. Then the dwarves appeared from underground. How they got here is still a mystery. They might have been here before the First Ones came. I don't know. They used the same cave entrances as the dragons in the beginning. But some dragons misunderstood them and felt threatened by them."

"So there were many skirmishes and wars between the dragons and the dwarves."

"Well, it was not an all out war. Skirmish is a good word here to describe it. This went on for centuries off and on, but eventually they just learned to avoid each other as much as possible. Just as long the dwarves did not come near them when it came to breeding and nesting time."

"Do you think it was recorded when the First Ones arrived?"

"I would need to check the Grand Library to see if it was recorded at all, that’s if we don’t have a copy of it in our library here. There could be connection between your world and mine. That would explain a lot on where they came from."

"Yes it would Renard. So where did your people come from?"

"We came from a continent east of here. The original home castle is near Lord Dryden’s Grand Castle. As we grew we explored Twainor and discovered the First Ones. When we met the First Ones and the dwarves; we agreed to help out one another in the times of trouble. When our population grew large enough we all begin to spread out around the world and eventually created the twelve kingdoms."

"How did the two rogue nations come about?"

"If I remember right it started with a disagreement over some islands and their fishing areas. One kingdom claimed it was theirs. It went back and forth until several ships sank. It was never found out how they sank in the first place."

"But the accusations took over, right?"

"Yes Richard. They accused the rest of the ten kingdoms, saying it was their fault. So the ten kingdoms began the blockades of their ports. Then the kings and queens of these two nations decided to run the blockades with their dragons for help. There must have been dozens of ships sunk that day. Over a thousand people died during that time."

"So it began, then it escalated to using the dragons soon thereafter."

"That's right Richard. It was horrible. Fortunately the dragons began to show some wisdom and withdrew from battle when their numbers reduced to almost being extinct."

"You know Renard, I was thinking. There might be something in your oceans that caused this. Is it possible that you might have some very large sea creatures in your oceans?"

"It is possible, but we get no reports of sightings out there."

"Remember Renard, your oceans are vast. Even if you were to fly around the world and see every island and continent from up above; you have no knowledge what is hidden in the waters."

"What are you talking about?"

"On my world, even with our large population; we use inventions to discover our world. We built the sailing vessels and we know every square inch on the surface. But when our fishing trawlers come with their catches of fish, they bring in once in awhile creatures that are impossible to explain."

"I remember. You told me that you have large sea creatures in the deepest oceans. So you’re saying that they come near to the surface some times."

"That's right. There's a different way of life for the deep sea creatures. Some will die if brought near the surface because of the different water pressure on their bodies. Some are blind, but they have other means to know where they are at. Some are air breathers and come to the surface often. There are some that swim at different levels. Our oceans are the last frontier to discover. We would build ships and deep sea crafts that can go underwater and take pictures of these creatures for proof that they exist."

"I understand now, so when those original ships sank, that fleet probably encountered something very large. It could be a group of creatures that were breeding at the time and they felt threatened by the ships for their own survival. These creatures probably destroyed them."

"That's right Renard. These creatures have some sort of intelligence to feel this threat.

"I will have to bring this idea up to Lord Tierion."

"Do you think your dragons and other First Ones might know of such of creatures?"

"What are you implying, Richard?" Renard gives a questioning glance at me.

"Sometimes we get so busy in life that we don't stop to ask the important questions."

"I see, Richard. It is possible that when we met the First Ones, it was only on land."

"But here is another possibility. Your First Ones probably don't know what is in the ocean because they had no reason to explore it like you did with your sailing vessels."

"Either way this will be needed to be brought up to the Grand Council for further investigation eventually."

"Yes, it should go through approval to have it investigated. Anything else you want to talk about, Renard?"

"Richard, for the rest of this afternoon I would like to invite Trianna. She is the Master Sorceress for the sisterhood here in Thryson Kingdom."

"A lady? Sounds interesting, I don't mind." I smile at Renard.

"Good, if you will just wait a moment I will contact her."

We walk back inside the cottage. I sit down in one the chairs near the hearth.

Renard goes over to the shelves near his work table. He finds the crystal sphere he is looking for. He picks up the sphere with his left hand and raises his right hand palm towards the sphere. He recites a short spell, soon the sphere glows pink. In a moment the image of a lady appears above the sphere.

"Greetings, Renard. What brings this call?"

"Greetings, Trianna. I am glad to say that our Outside Helper is here. I would greatly appreciate it if you would come here and meet him for the rest of the afternoon."

"Why thank you Renard. I would love to meet him. Give me a few moments to put some things away here. I will be there within a quarter-mark."

"See you soon, Trianna."

Then the image disappears.

“So what can we do while we wait for her Renard?”

“You mentioned you played a musical instrument. Would you like to see and hear ours?”

“Yes, that would be great Renard.”

Renard walks around his main room and reaches for a four stringed instrument hanging on his wall.

It looks like one of our ancient guitars. But this one is shaped differently than any of ours.

He sits down next to me to show how it is played.

“This is a toryli. You play it like this." Renard plays a few melodies on the toryli. He lets his hands rest and comes to stop at the end of the last note of the song.

“That is beautiful.”

“Does it remind you of your home world?”

“It does in some ways. It reminds me of an era where we have very few written records . To me those melodies are about thousand years old. Now I’m hearing it fresh. This is great.” I smile from ear to ear.

Then we hear a knock on the door.

Renard gets up and walks to the front door and opens it. “Greetings Trianna, you’ve made it.”

“Greetings Renard,” Then Trianna and Renard step towards each other gave a quick hug. Then they stand apart and look at each other.

“Were you just playing a song on the toryli? I thought I heard it when I walked up to your door.”

“I was, Trianna. I was showing Richard how we play it.”

“Can you play it again? I would love to hear it again.”

“But first let me introduce you both.” Turning around to face Richard. “Richard Moore this is Trianna, Master Sorceress of Thryson Kingdom. She leads the ladies in the Mystic Order.”

I stand to greet Trianna. "I am pleased to you, my lady." I bow like a gentleman like my mom taught me. I put one hand in front of my waist while the other swung around behind me and bend at the waist towards Trianna.

"Thank you Richard for the formal greeting." She giggles at the gesture.

I rise up and see a beautiful woman smiling with mirth in her demeanor. She is beautifully dressed in a multi-colored gown with a decorative waist cincher that is not too tight. Her hair is auburn in color to the waist; the hair is pinned back to reveal her ears and earrings. There is a necklace with a crystal around her neck as well.

"My mom and dad made sure I was taught well how to treat people with respect."

"I'm sure they did Richard, I can tell."

We all sit down in the chairs in front of the hearth. Renard plays another melody on the toryli. When finished we all gave thanks and clap our hands.

“That was great Renard.”

“You’re welcome Trianna. Richard told me he plays a similar instrument on his world.”

I blushed.

“You do? That is great Richard. Do you think you could play one of ours?”

“I will have to do investigative practice to see how the toryli is tuned. Then I can take it from there.”

“Wonderful Richard,” Turning to Renard, "So, what is it you need me here for Renard?"

"While Richard and I were talking today, I determined that he has some mental scars that did not heal too well when he was younger."

I turned red in the face again.

Trianna sees my embarrassment. "So you figure with both our help we can help him." Trianna looks at me, "Don't worry Richard, it is something we all go through life at one time or another. It just depends how we deal with the hurt that effects the rest of our lives."

"I understand. Do you need my life story to know where or how I came to this point in my life?"

"Well, maybe not every detail. The important part is just to talk it out and not let the emotions get bottled up. It needs to be released."

"Will King Tierion need to know the details?"

"No, we will just give him a summary. He’s a very important King on our world. He wants the best for all of the people in his kingdom, whether born here or honorary. He needs them to be of clear mind and purpose so that they can solve problems and be productive in their lives without anger and distractions."

"I see. I've heard that before as well. Maybe I just have not practiced it too much. I'm probably overdue for another session on the couch."

"Session on the couch?"

"I'm sorry, that is a phrase that we use sometimes to describe a visit to a special doctor who helps us see our way through life. The doctor has a couch in his office so that we can lie down on it. This allows us to be relaxed and not be tense when we talk it out. We have some other phrases, but I won't repeat them. I have complete respect for my hosts here," I smile at them. You definitely don't want to hear the bad ones.

They both smile at the understanding. "Don't worry; we just want to help you come to terms with your memories, whether they're good or bad."

"It is just the bad ones that you want to deal with."

"Yes, so why don't you start with some of them. Trianna, Richard told me that some of the older boys tried to hurt him one day.”

"How did it happen, Richard?"

"We were in elementary school, we were in first grade at eight years old, Brianna and I were walking home from school, and we were ambushed by four older boys. While walking down the sidewalk and about a block from home; four boys walked out and got in our way."
~~~000~~~
"Ooooh.... look who we have here guys. Nerd and Nerdette."

"Uh... excuse us, Josh. But we are walking home."

"No you're not. We're here to teach you both a lesson."

"Why? What have we done to you?"

"Done to us? Because of you two, we're not tops in the school. We're right behind you grade point wise. Our parents want us up there so they can send us to a top notch private school."

"So... You will still get there. You're all in the sixth grade. You're tops in your grade."

"Not so, little squirts. There is another thing we don't like about you."

"What is it?"

"Uh... uh... What is it we don't like about him Josh?"

"Because he hangs around girls too much and plays with them Greg. You know what that makes him?"

"Uh... that makes him a sissy?"

"Right, a sissy. In fact his new nickname should be Miss Sissy Smarty Pants."

"Now you cut that out." Brianna had enough and decides to speak up.

"Oooh, look at these guys. The girl has a voice."

"Yeah... we need to shut her up. Teach them a lesson."

"Right." They all responded.

"We'll begin with you missy. We won't hurt you too bad. We are just going to break your hands. That way your grades will suffer because you then can't do any homework."

I had enough and stepped in between her and the bullies. "No you're not. You leave her alone!"

"Ooh, look at this, the Sissy Smarty Pants wants to protect her. Not!!"

"Yeah just for that we will do you first."

One of them grabs Brianna to prevent her from getting in the way.

She struggles and screams, "Let me go!" Then one of the boys stuffs a handkerchief into her mouth.

~~~000~~~

“Then they all take turns in beating me up. Not only had they broken all of my fingers. They punched me in the face and broke my nose and gave me a black eye. They even kicked my feet and lower legs and my torso. By that time I was lying on the ground moaning with pain."

We are all shedding tears now. Renard and Trianna try to hold me up. "Then once they were satisfied of the damage they left laughing."

~~~000~~~

"Do as we tell you or we will do the same thing to you Missy Smarty Pants, like your Sissy friend here."

~~~000~~~

"Was there any justice done for you?"

Sigh….sniff…"Yes Renard. After telling our parents, the parents went to the school and reported it to the Principal. The boys were arrested and taken away to jail for children."

"Jail for children? Is it that bad there? Children shouldn't do such things."

"They can if the parents teach the children otherwise or how they are brought up in a neighborhood with their friends. You don't have cities and countries like ours. I guess to a degree it would be like the two kingdoms you have here who were bothersome. It is like one bad fruit that can spoil a whole barrel full of good fruit. I’m not worried about the rest of the students. They won’t cause problems and they will be good citizens when they grow up."

"I guess you're right Richard. It all depends on one's perspective."

"Those boys never did get accepted to the private school after that. Their parents were highly disappointed in their choices. But some of the parents were to blame as well."

"What happened next?"

"Brianna came running up to me once she was let go by them. She tried to console me. She took out the handkerchief and use it stop some of the bleeding. But she realizes help is needed. She ran home quickly to get our parents. The ambulance came and took me to the hospital.”

“Did it take time to get healed of the injuries?”

“Yes it did, it took months before I could walk again or write. We became very good friends afterwards." Then I tell them the next story after going to school together for next two years.

"We spent several summers having a good time like the children we were. Then one day Brianna had an idea to make it more interesting and fun with some new games she found at a store. So, we planned it when the parents were out for the day and our brothers were at summer camp. Our sitter, Brianna and I had a lot of fun doing those games. I learned a lot during that time. Everything was going fine until the fourth Saturday that our parents went out. They came home early and caught us doing one of those games."

"Why didn't you invite more friends over?"

"Brianna and I at the time were very smart like I am today. We knew we like to learn everything around us. At the school where we went, our grades were so good; we were at the top of our class or near it in the second grade, as we approached our eighth birthday. We did a lot of things together to have fun. She was also tops in the school as well. We did not realize it then. But being smart also came with a price. We had very few friends. Our parents raised us to be kind, polite and helpful."

"Most of the girls avoided her to be friends; it was the same with me. The friends she did have allowed me to be with them. I don't know if you have seen this reaction in your kingdom. Sometimes kids will be mean to each other when they don't get their way."

"You might be surprised Richard, but we do. Once in awhile a child will get an attitude that is selfish. We get perplexed where the child gets it from. The best we can figure it out, it probably has to do with an experience that forms a strong opinion in the child or from the parents. The child is constantly testing his parents to know what the boundaries are."

"Yes, it is the same issue on my world." Renard and Trianna nod their heads in agreement.

“To make matters worse; within a week after our brothers came home from Summer Camp our fathers received orders from their companies to move to another city to get that branch open and established.”

“So the families moved to another location. Were you able to keep in touch with the other family?”

“No we didn’t, Trianna. Well, at least for me I think. For some reason mom and dad did not have their new address. I would have loved to write letters to Brianna, but it never happened.”

“One thing to remember Richard, these events was beyond your control. It is not your fault, remember that.”

“Yes, you’re right Trianna and Renard. Sometimes I feel hopeless that I cannot effect change. But, when I had the experience with my brothers, it gave me focus to solve a problem.”

“That’s right Richard. Sometimes we have to put the pain aside so that we can focus on the living. There will be a time to be sad and time to be happy.”

I smile when I hear those words, “You’re last statement reminded me of a song on my world. Yes, you’re right again Renard. I must dwell on the good memories and let the bad ones become small.”

“That is right Richard. Is there anything else you care to talk about?”

“After that experience, my parents saw me get quiet and I tried to avoid contact with people. They became concerned. My parents decided I needed help. I went to a doctor who tried to do what you are doing now.”

“Did it help?”

“Yes it did in the beginning after getting beat up, my brothers became more helpful and realized I needed help until I could walk and write again. It did draw the family closer.”

“That’s good. Was there anything done to help your self-confidence?”

“My dad sent me to a self-defense class to learn how to defend myself and someone else better. As I look back on it, it did help my confidence in dealing with certain situations and how to defuse it. It worked most of the time. The other was joining the local youth organization for camping, hiking and learning wilderness survival. That was the most fun. I made a lot of friends there.”

“So your parents are looking out for you. They do want the best for you.”

“Yes, they do. I love them the most.”

“What of your brothers? Do you love them as well?”

“Yes, I do. After standing up to them, they realized I do have a backbone. We do look out for each other as brothers do.”

“That’s good. Well, we need to give you a heads up on tomorrow and what is going to happen.”

“You’ll be introduced as Thryson Kingdom’s Outside Helper and Friend of the Kingdom.”

“Is there anything I have to do? Do I have to bend the knee?”

Renard smiles, “You don’t have to Richard. That is reserved for the soldiers who become knights. You just need to bow your head and bend your upper body forward like so. Then stand straight up.”

Renard stands up and demonstrates the movement.

“Is that the usual greeting when meeting someone?”

“Not always Richard. Once this is done all you need to do is just nod your head and raise it back up. Use the bow when it is in a formal setting.”

“Like this Renard?” I bow my head and upper body and raise it up. Then I just nod my head and raise it up.

“That is very good. Now you will probably be asked some questions by the king. Keep your answers short and to the point. You won’t be giving your life story like you did today.”

“Are you going to give an update to the king tonight like you did earlier?”

“How did you know that?”

“I overheard you while you were preparing the noon meal today; while I was reading one of your crystals,” I smile as I said that.

Trianna giggled, “He’s got you there Renard.”

Renard smiles, “All right, looks like I need to keep my conversations more quiet. Apparently your hearing is very good. Yes, I’m going to give him an update shortly. He just wants the best for his citizens, whether born or honorary.”

“So, technically I will be an honorary citizen,” I nod my head with the understanding.

“Yes you will be. The king is going to put a special medallion around your neck like Trianna and I are wearing at a special ceremony two days from now. This will signify you as our Outside Helper. If anyone tries to harm you, then that person will have to answer to the king.”

“So I’m under the protection of the king and kingdom as well?”

“That is right. The Maker chose you to be our Outside Helper. But you are also an emissary representing your world and our kingdom.”

“Wow! That is an honor, Renard and Trianna. Then I must be of clear mind always. That is a big responsibility.”

“It is Richard. Remember that always.”

“You will be introduced to many people and First Ones tomorrow. So try not to be too alarmed.”

“Yes, my lady.”

She smiles at the compliment.

“Oh that reminds me, Trianna. Richard said some interesting comments about our First Ones.”

“Yes Renard. When I saw your First Ones, I was shocked to see them
here, because they remind of the stories and legends from my world.”

“You had First Ones on your world! What happened to them?”

“Remember these stories are thousands of years old. What happened to them is still a mystery. I need to do some further research on my world and see where it takes me.”

“I see, Richard. This is exciting Renard. There might be a connection between his world and ours.”

“Yes, perhaps it is true Trianna. We'll need to check our records and ask the First Ones where they came from.”

“We do have stories of large deep sea creatures. I remember one large fish that was caught in the nets off the coast of a continent a few years ago. This fish has a skeleton that is not found in fish today. That species is over a million years old. So, anything is possible.”

“That reminds me Richard. Trianna, I told Richard the story of our last conflict that we had a hundred fifty years ago or so.”

“Yes, I remember it. It still saddens me because of the loss of life.”

“I know. But, Richard had a thought as to what caused it in the first place.”

“You mean about the sinking of ships that no one could explain?”

“That’s right. Richard thinks it could be a large group of sea creatures that felt threatened by them and sank the ships.”

“What? Do you know what you’re implying, Renard?”

“Yes, I do. Richard and I discussed it for awhile. We need to inform the King of this as soon as possible. We don’t want another repeat of this in the future.”

“Renard and Trianna has everything been asked of me that you need to know?”

“Huh? I’m sorry Richard. Let me think for a moment.” Renard pauses and thinks about it for a few moments. “Yes, that will be enough for now. I will need to inform the King anyway of our progress today. You did very well. You will do fine in being our Outside Helper.”

“Thank you Renard and Trianna. I’ll go read another crystal while you contact King Tierion. Trianna, if you please. Can you find a crystal for me to learn more about your world?”

“Sure, Richard, let’s go take a look.”

Trianna and I walk over to Renard’s shelves by his work table. She takes one out and puts it on a pedestal. She recites a short incantation as she raises her right hand palm towards the crystal. Soon an image appears of one of the many places on Twainor.

“I’ll go start putting something together for the evening repast. That should keep you busy until then.”

“Thank you, Trianna. These images are great.”

“You’re welcome Richard.” She smiles and turns around and walks to the kitchen area to begin preparing the evening repast.

~~~000~~~

Renard walks into his bedroom and sits on a chair in the corner of the room. He takes out his crystal to contact the King. He recites the spell and the image of the King appears above the crystal.

“Greetings my Lord.”

“Greetings Renard. How did it go this afternoon?”

“It went very well. Trianna and I were able to help Richard out very well. We will make sure he gets a good night sleep tonight.”

“That is very good Renard. Is there anything else I should know?”

“Yes, my Lord. When I mentioned the war we had two generations ago, Richard become very interested.”

“He did? What caused the sudden interest?”

“Do you remember how the conflict started?”

“I do Renard. The stories state that a bunch of ships sank near a group of islands. The two rogue nations blamed us for the sinking. It was never proven; they started accusing the rest of us.”

“Richard thinks it was caused by a group of large sea creatures that felt threatened.”

“What? Are you serious?”

“I am, my Lord.”

“What did Richard say to make you think that way?”

“On his world, despite their large population, their oceans are so vast and deep, it is still being discovered to this day. There are mysteries there that have remained hidden. Sometimes the fishermen would bring in catches that can’t be explained. You should hear one of them my Lord.”

“I see. I will definitely ask him tomorrow. Perhaps we can get this resolved before Richard goes home in a few days.”

“That would be great, my Lord. This discovery will keep us very busy for a long time.”

“Yes, it would Renard. Well, I have heard enough for now. I will need to ask our Port Governor tomorrow what he thinks of this as well. He might be afraid of telling me of what is in the nets that are brought in weekly.”

“Don’t be too hard on him. He is probably not told in the first place.”

“That’s true. Well, either way, it will be an interesting investigation. Well good night Renard. See you at First Mark here at the Castle.”

“Good night my Lord, see you at First Mark.”

The heads bow to each other and the image disappears above the crystal. He puts the crystal into one of his pockets.

Renard gets up and walks out of the room.

~~~000~~~

Trianna and I look up at the same time when we see Renard return.

"How did the update go, Renard?"

"It went fine. He is looking forward to meeting you tomorrow, Richard. He became very interested as well when I told him about Richard's idea for the sinking of the ships two generations ago."

"That's good,” I smile.

"Well, the evening repast is ready. We should be done before the Setting of the Sun."

"Yes, let us eat this evening." I get up and walk over to kitchen to see if any help is needed.

Renard walks over to the table where I was sitting and turns off the crystal that I viewed.

"Richard, why don't you take care of the place setting while Renard and I take care of the food?"

"Yes, I can do that. Thank you."

"You're welcome."

Soon all is prepared and set for the evening repast. We all sit down. Trianna is given the honor of giving Thanks.

"Thank you dear Maker for this wonderful day. Thank you bringing our Outside Helper to us, because he needed help as well. Thank you for this food and providing it for us. May the next days ahead show everyone that we are not alone in your Creation. Thank you, Maker, for all that you have done."

Renard and I both answer back, "Thank you, Maker."

We look up. "Thanks, Trianna. That is well said."

"Yes, thank you Trianna and Renard for being a great host. I think as time moves forward I will be able to count you among my closest friends."

"Thank you Richard. We feel same towards you I'm sure."

"Yes, it is always good to have friends to count on when needed."

We serve ourselves from the food provided. This time Trianna put a spice onto some of the vegetables. I was pleasantly surprised by the flavor.

"This spice is great Trianna. I like it very much once you warmed it up, the aroma fills the room. It is very good."

"Thank you, Richard."

It is an assortment of vegetables and fish this time. We each finish the meal with some different fruits this time.

I had to dry my chin a few times. "Thank you very much for the meal. That was great."

"Thank you Richard. Tomorrow morning before we go to the Castle we will have a short meal. There will be plenty of food tomorrow."

"I'm sure there will be, Trianna. I just need to have some fruit in the morning with some vegetables again. Then I will be fine until the noon repast."

"That is our intention. Let us clean up quickly. We still have enough time before the Setting."

Once we put the dishes and utensils away and set the seeds aside. We walk out the front door. You could see that sun is setting fast as it approaches the horizon.

"Let's stand out here in the open. You will get a better view."

Just as I see the sun dip below the tree line, I see the sky light up with ribbons of color from the rainbow. The swirls come down and touch us as well. I look at my hands, arms and body in astonishment.

"Gasp... Wow.... Incredible... Those swirls are everywhere; it is even around the trees and us standing here. It is everywhere. I never imagined such a thing could exist. It is beautiful."

"It is beautiful. The patterns are never the same that is beauty of it."

"So this is the Ethereal Space. This is what gives you the magic?"

"It is, Richard."

As soon as the sun sets and first star appears in the sky, the color display ends and moves westward. Now it is light dusk with more stars appearing as the light recedes. We look up and see the Twin Moons and the two nebulae among the stars and the black night sky.

"It will happen again like this in the morning, Richard."

"You might not believe this Renard and Trianna, but we have something similar on my world."

"You do, Richard?"

"Yes, but they are found only in the polar regions of our world. Plus they are a lot higher in the sky. We are able to take pictures of them. We even have artists who try to paint them."

"Yes we have artists who try to capture the moment as well. You will
see some of them mounted on the walls in Thryson Castle."

"We have a name for these ribbons of color. They are called Aurora Borealis or the Northern and Southern Lights. However, there is no magic associated with them."

"That is fascinating Richard. How often do they appear?"

"Only two times a year, Spring and Fall. But I think this is where the
similarities between yours and ours end. When we get a very strong pulse of energy from our sun, it sends the solar energy in all directions. But once it reaches Earth, this solar storm, if you will, wreaks havoc with our satellites, electrical equipment and so on."

"But, ours is more intense, maybe that is why electrical machinery does not work here."

We walk back inside and sit down on the chairs near the hearth.

"That very well could be true. But there is one property that your Ethereal Space has that we don't have. Yours is magical. That is the trade off."

"I see, Richard. So, the Maker allows us to have this for our advantage while it could be dangerous for others who use electrical machinery."

"That is right, Trianna. I would need to check my history books to verify if we had magic thousands of years ago. When we had our worldwide flood it could have changed the balance for magic on my world. It probably took a thousand years after that for it to fully disappear."

"That is possible Richard. Anything is possible. Maybe that is why your watch is not working now."

"Yes, Renard." I showed it to Trianna. "Let me explain what a watch or time piece is. First these were designed about three hundred fifty years ago. There are multiple parts with gears. The movement is created with a wound spring that slowly unwinds."

"That is a novel approach without using electrical power."

"It is, Renard. Electrical and battery power was not understood for another hundred years. This watch does not use a spring; it uses a battery for energy. There is also another display here that gives me a choice to use. The watch is multi-functional as they say on my world."

"More than likely when you get back you might discover that the watch may not work again."

"It is possible. I would try to change the battery first to see if that will get it working again."

"What's a battery, Richard?"

"A battery, Trianna is a device that can hold electrical energy. Do you have bad weather with storms and lightning?"

"We do, Richard; they can be very bad when it is in season."

"It is the same thing on my world. Care must be taken when near one of these storms. That storm cloud is acting like a battery, but it is very unstable. It tries to release the energy any way it can. Most of the time it is a lightning bolt that will get discharged and get sent to the ground or from one cloud to another. There can be many things that can hold this energy. But the battery that is in this watch is very small; it contains the right amount of energy to make this watch work. It is also designed not to hurt me. It took another hundred years to get the designs right so that we can use this power without hurting ourselves."

"But, because of our Ethereal Space that will probably never happen here, Richard."

"It probably won't, Renard. But you never know what will happen over the years if someone gets the insight to do something different. Remember the story I told you about my brothers?"

"Yes, you came up with a solution to prove that your brothers were giving you problems."

"Yes, it is the same attitude that is needed to solve any problem. I'm sure it is the same with your knights and armed men. They try coming up with a new tactic to create an offense out of a defense."

"You're right Richard. That is one of the great attributes in our kingdom, the ability to create new opportunities to make life better. I'm sure it is the same for all of Twainor."

"Yes, you were able to expand and explore your world with what you have. Don't worry about trying to achieve what we do on my world. There is one thought that should ring true, with gaining knowledge comes more responsibility to use it right."

"That is right, Richard. But from hearing you say that, you had problems with that at one time."

"Yes we did. Our knowledge increased so much we learned how to look at the intricate details of his creation. I really don't want to say anything more about it. In one way the knowledge helped us. The other way provided a new way to kill more people. Either way it changed all attitudes on the planet."

"I'm so sorry, Richard." Trianna tried to compose herself from almost crying.

"So am I Trianna. 'Sigh' ... like you said earlier Renard, perhaps we are not ready to join a Local Group such as yours. We must have that hope. Even if it were to take another thousand years, then so be it."

"I understand Richard. I can see why you don't wish your problems to be visited on my world. We have enough as it is."

"If it is true that our First Ones came from your world. Then the Maker was making sure they were removed to a new world to be safe."

"That can be true Trianna. Whatever the reasons are; the Maker has his reasons. I hope you don't mind I end my talking now. I have said a lot today. I'm sorry to end it on a sad note. Your world is incredible. You are blessed to be here, don't forget that. Life is precious every moment. At least most of the people on my world learned that."

"Yes, Richard, life is precious every moment."

"Remember this Trianna and Renard. You have a world that you cannot get back on our world. With your magic you can do things that we can only dream about. The Maker knows what he is doing to shape our world. Yes, we have to live with the choices we make, but we must accept the responsibility from those results and actions."

"That is true on any level Richard, you're right. Knowledge is important, but so is the responsibility for it."

"If I'm going to be your Outside Helper, I must operate within your rules that govern this planet, not mine. That is my responsibility. I will provide the insight and information that you will need to overcome the problem. It will be up to you on what you do with it. I will make sure the information will be easy for you to understand."

"Thanks Richard, we greatly appreciate that. I think the one aspect about our world that is very different is the Ethereal Space and how it affects everything and everyday here. We might not be able to create machinery to make life easy for us, but our magic is enough for us. We just need to be creative with it."

"That is right, Renard. Your world learned how to create that toryli to create music. That is a great accomplishment to produce sound that is a joy to hear. It is hand crafted. Many of our musical instruments are hand crafted as well. Yet some are machine made to make production faster to reach more people, but we appreciate the time that a craftsman has when he uses abilities to create a masterpiece."

"That is a good answer Richard. That is true for everyone. Whether they are a farmer, fisherman, boat maker, carpenter, the musician, the metal forger, the wizards, the sorcerers, the healers and so on. Everyone has a part to make a life for themselves and for the kingdom. We all need each other services to make our kingdom and Twainor a beautiful place to live."

"Well, it is time for bed. I will be at my cottage, Renard. I will be here for the morning repast. Then we can go together to be at the castle at First Mark."

"That sounds fine, Trianna." Renard looks at Trianna as Trianna looks back at him with a smile. "Be well, Trianna; keep safe until we meet again."

"You be well also, Renard."

Then they step toward each other and hug for a moment.

That hug looks a bit more than I expected. I'd say they are very close to tying the knot together.

They step apart and look at each other and smile again. Trianna raises her palms outward, she recites the transport spell and she vanishes in a blink of an eye.

Renard turns around to me. "Well, let's get ready for bed. You have the guest room this evening."

We walk into the room. I sit on the corner of the bed and take off the boots. I then stand up and take off the clothes and fold them up and place them on the bed. I leave my shorts on. Renard opens the floor chest and takes out a long night shirt and puts that on the bed.

"We have a spell that will clean your clothes so that they are fresh. I put one on the floor chest. When you open it in the morning they will be clean and fresh."

"Thanks Renard. I read that in one of the crystals today. I wished it was that easy on my world. We have to do it ourselves with our hands using soap and water or with machines."

"Well, I hope we don't spoil you too much here." He gives a big grin.

"No you won't. I will consider this trip as a vacation of doing something different. Then it will be back to my real world dreaming about this place and all of Twainor." I smile back at him. "Is there an undergarment like my shorts in the chest? I would like to wear that underneath this shirt."

"Yes there is." He takes out a pair of shorts that look like boxer shorts. "Thanks Renard." I slip on the night shirt. Then I take off my shorts and undergarment and put them on the bed momentarily. I take the shorts that Renard provided and slip those on underneath the night shirt. I then take the green colored clothes that I wore today and place them in the floor chest. I put my shorts, undergarment and shoes there as well and close the lid. I turn to the bed and pull down the cover and sheets.

"Why don't you go and lie down? I want to give you a sleep spell tonight. This will help your emotions and well being. I want to make sure you get a good night sleep."

"Thanks, Renard. I greatly appreciate that." I lay down on the bed, with my head resting on the pillow.

"Good night Richard, see you in the morning."

"Good night Renard, thanks for everything, Thanks to the Maker for bringing me here. I'm sure I'll have some great dreams."

"I'm sure you will." He smiles and he raises his hands above, palm facing me. He places his right hand above my head; the other hand is placed above my torso. He recites the spell, "maer ael tas".

I fall fast asleep dreaming of home, my friends and family, the
mountain cabin. I even recall my day and how I flew through the cosmos to reach Twainor. I dreamed of the good memories, the bad ones were nowhere to be found for the night. I dreamed of the First Ones on Earth and here on Twainor. The sleep was the most restful I ever had in a long time.

up
75 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

What?

>...large reptiles (sic) that are as big as your cottage or bigger. Some were very small as well. They survived for millions of years until a major impact from a meteorite plunged into the earth causing the mass extinction of those creatures.

"...Were your people there at that time? What happened next?"

"We did find some human records that old, but not that many. That large meteorite caused a major change in the Earth's ecosystem. Very few animals survived that explosion."

Dinosaurs were not reptiles, although they co-existed with giant reptiles, like crocodiles, etc. Dinosaurs had features more similar to birds, in fact birds evolved from dinosaurs. Mammals (which include primates, such as chimps and humyns) evolved from mammal-like reptiles.

The impact that caused the extinction of most of the dinosaurs happened about 65 million years ago. Fossil skeletal remains of hominids (humanoids) date back to around 5 million yrs ago. Homo sapiens are thought to be around 200,000 yrs old. The earliest "records" might refer to European cave paintings around 30,000 yrs old.

Paleolithic (old stone age, before the "invention" of agriculture) Homo sapiens world population, was probably in the tens of thousands. Agriculture allowed the growth of towns and then cities, however a population of many millions, let alone billions of people could not have been supported by the technologies of 12,000 or even 6,000 years ago. Rome, with quite advanced technologies, such as roads, water supply, plumbing and communications, and a large, mostly peaceful empire may have reached a population of a million or more. It's size was astounding to non-Romans who would visit.

No hominids existed during the age of the dinosaurs; the mammals living then were only small creatures similar to rats and shrews.

Some 10 or 12 thousand yrs ago, it is thought that an ice damn formed around the middle Don and Volga rivers and held back melt water from the ice age glaciers in eastern Europe. These waters grew into a huge lake; when the damn burst, there was a great flood in the area around the Black Sea. Some peoples displaced relocated South to the present middle east. Noah's ark is said to have ended up in the Caucasus mountains, just East of the Black Sea. Mentions of this flood are found in ancient stories of Sumerian, Babylonian, Hebrew and other cultures of this area.

Is "the earth" in this story, the same earth that we are on? Alternatively, is Richard coming from a civilization that does not have access to all of our present knowledge? Richard's natural and humyn history sound like an amalgam of modern science and creationism. Possibly wars and the population crash in the 21st and following centuries destroyed repositories of knowledge.

This is a very interesting story; sci-fi is a favorite of mine. Good luck and good writing.

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

Ready for work, 1992. Renee_3.jpg

Hugs and Bright Blessings,
Renee

I'm wondering...

Aine Sabine's picture

Is there a TG element to this story. It's fine if not, but it's surprising if not since it's on BCTS.

Wil

Aine