The Chosen~15

Printer-friendly version

W…what?’

‘Surprised?’ she said coming over to me and giving me a hug.

The last time I saw Adrian Metcalf, I was saying goodbye to him...

Angel

The Chosen
By


Susan Brown


Chapter 15

Previously…

After the meeting I returned to my room. It was all getting a bit much, and sitting on my bed, I was rather tearful. I did not want to show my emotions in front of the others, but my hormones seemed to be doing crazy things to me at the moment. I just wondered when things would get better and then, maybe, we might have some good news for a change. Then I remembered the baby–my baby–growing slowly and surely in my womb. I had to be strong for her and the countless other babies that I hoped might follow once they had cracked the puzzle of no female children. That was good news, wasn’t it?

It was good news if I lived through all this mayhem. Only time would tell.

There was a knock on the door.

‘Come in,’ I glanced up, wiping my eyes with a tissue. I didn’t want to be seen crying.

The door opened slowly and then a girl entered. She was very pretty and immediately I recognised her as the girl from the previous day whom I thought I’d seen before–maybe at Overdean, my school? I wasn’t sure.

‘Rebecca, remember me?’

I stared at her–there was something very familiar about her–

‘Adrian––?’

And now the story continues…

‘W…what?’

‘Surprised?’ she said coming over to me and giving me a hug.

The last time I saw Adrian Metcalf, I was saying goodbye to him, because he wasn’t picked to be one of The Chosen; the reason given was that he was a diabetic. He was so upset at not being picked as he had wanted to be transformed. He or maybe I should say she, had always wanted to be a girl and had dressed in private for many years.

After a few seconds we separated. For some reason, we both were a bit tearful.

‘Adrian, is it really you. You look erm…different.’

She laughed, throwing her head back. She looked so pretty with long dark, straight hair. Her face, as was her body appeared very feminine.

‘It’s Adrienne now. I know, it’s silly having such a similar name, but my parents named me Adrian and it’s not that bad for a boy’s name so I went for a female equivalent that sounded quite exotic to me. Yes I am different. Look, shall we sit down and then I can tell you all about things and you can tell me how you have been doing. I can’t believe that I’m in the same room as The Special One.’

‘Drop the Special One rubbish.’

‘Well it’s true. You are the only one to be having a baby girl. I don’t envy you.’

‘Never mind that,’ I said wanting to get off the subject, ‘tell me what happened to you.’

We sat down, each with a cold Zinga, and she proceeded to tell me her story.

‘Well, you know that I wasn’t chosen because of my diabetes?’

‘Yes, you were terribly upset.’

‘I was, but shortly after you were taken over to the girls’ school with the others; I was approached again by one of the doctors on the selection panels. She sat me down and told me that a mistake had been made and I could be one of The Chosen too. My diabetes was only borderline and easily treatable and it would not affect me when I was being transformed. She said that the quota for the school had been filled, but if I chose, I could be transferred to another school and be in The Chosen programme there.

‘You had left and a couple of other friends also. As you know, I don’t make friends very easily so I felt a bit isolated after that. Anyway, I didn’t think I’d see you again so I had nothing to lose. I was transferred to St Clare’s and probably transitioned not long after you did. Later I found out that the reason for not being chosen in the first place was that they had a policy of spitting up close friends–to help destabilise each individual. This was probably one of their weird and wonderful ideas that was supposed to help ‘assimilation’ but was more likely to do with politics.

‘So you could have stayed at our school then?’ I said.

‘That’s what I am trying to say. The diabetes was only a ruse really. My parents–like yours–worked for the state. They thought that we would be more of a security risk if we stayed close, so they moved me.’

‘Well,’ I said, hugging her again, ‘it’s great to see you.’

‘Yes, I was rescued from the school by one of the plants–Hannah Smith, a five-petal who was one of us. I had no idea what was going on really. I think I was pretty well brainwashed and a good little girl. I was so pleased when I was told I was pregnant––’

‘–You too?’ I exclaimed.

‘Yes–although they say that it’s a boy. I am about two months gone. Mind you I hate the sickness.’

‘Me too, it’s horrible.’

‘The pills help.’

‘Mmm; so you were saying how you escaped.’

‘Oh yes, there was some sort of diversion and the lights went out. I was by the perimeter with several other girls and was suddenly grabbed and pulled through a door. I fought it, thinking I was being abducted. Then as I was struggling so much, I think I was pressure injected and didn’t know any more until I woke up in hospital. I had been detoxed and had the mind control drugs washed out of my system. It was like waking up from a dream. My head was sore too, where the surgeon had taken the tracking device out. I hadn’t realised how far gone I had been. I’m okay now, though I do have nightmares occasionally. I was pleased to discover that five other girls escaped as well as me; I really wonder though what has been happening to the others who are still at St Clare’s.

‘I know. I worry too about the others at my school, I mean. I don’t really know how many escaped; it was all confusion, noises, screams and shouting.’

We were quiet for a moment and then I turned to her. ‘Did you know that David got killed?’

She nodded. ‘I heard, and he wasn’t the only one. I know for a fact that some of the kids at St Clare’s disappeared suddenly, to be “transferred”, which I think is a euphemism for being murdered.’

‘I hate everything like that,’ I said as tears began to flow again. We hugged once more, too upset to speak for some time.

~ §~


Eventually we began chatting again and carried on until we were called to a meeting. We left arm in arm to find out what it was all about.

It was delightful having Adrienne around. We had been great friends in the past and it was pleasantly reassuring to be together again. Thinking back, I suppose Adrian had always been rather effeminate and now that she had been transformed, she was like a caterpillar that had morphed into a beautiful butterfly.

We met up with Bethany on our way to the meeting and after the obligatory hugs and squeals of joy, we carried on. I still marvelled at how touchy-feely I had been getting since my transition. As a boy, I sort of held back a bit about showing my feelings, but now it was all as natural as breathing.

Bethany and Adrienne chattered incessantly about fashion and makeup while we made our way to meeting and to be honest, although I enjoyed being a girl, I couldn’t feel quite as enthusiastic as my two friends, so felt a bit left out.

Upon our arrival at conference room, we found everyone else was there. Mummy and Dada were at the front so we all found seats and settled down.

Mummy rose to her feet and gazed at her audience.

‘Thanks for coming, everybody. This is just to give you a quick update as to recent developments. As far as we know, there were no fatalities when the mini nukes hit Headquarters. Alternative locations have been found across the island and we are all in touch via scrambled communicators. For security, the exact location of each site has been shielded. I have spoken to Mariah who has told me that the situation is close to critical. Several ships of the USA & C are now close to UK waters and an ultimatum has been given to the UK government. That ultimatum is that all hostilities against this island are to stop with immediate effect, otherwise a state of war will be declared. A vote of no confidence in Alysia Wellgood’s government is being debated in parliament as we speak. She will win the vote because she’s enough seats to ensure that the vote goes her way. However, a deputation of high level military personnel had two meetings with the government and made it clear that they were not prepared to see the UK go to war with what is a much larger coalition of countries which includes–in addition to the US of A&C–Australia, Germany, France and a number of others.

‘Apparently, the UK is unstable–even more unstable than other countries bearing in mind the current world situation–which is why such a hard line is being taken. The fact that Alysia Wellgood sanctioned nuclear force against the island was one step too many.’

She paused for a moment and looked about the room, her eyes resting on me for a moment before continuing.

My heart had started pounding and the tension in my head was mounting. The stress of everything was beginning to get me down and it looked like I was going to have to visit Doctor Eccles later on. My mind returned to the present as Mummy continued.

‘Mariah has informed me that all the heads of the armed forces have been relieved of their command and the army and other armed services have been ordered back to their bases until a new tier of leadership is in place. Martial law has been implemented all across the UK and a curfew is in operation. The police and other civil forces have taken to the streets to maintain order.’

Everybody present gasped at this. It was all happening very fast. There was a lot of noise as we all started speaking at once.

‘Quiet…please!’

After a few moments, silence returned and she was able to continue.

‘I know that all of this is a shock, but you all need to be aware of the situation. As I say, martial law is in place throughout the UK. This hasn’t stopped rioting in London, Manchester, Birmingham, Dublin and Glasgow. We believe that other areas are affected but communications are limited.’

‘As far as we are concerned, we stay put. We are under the protection of the US of A&C and to be frank, I think that Alysia Wellgood has more to worry about at the moment than us. As soon as we hear anything further, we will let you know.’

~ §~


The meeting broke up and Bethany, Adrienne and I went to the cafeteria for something to eat. It was mid afternoon now and we had all missed lunch for some reason.

The replicators were as good as anywhere and we had a choice of food on offer. I had a seafood salad, Beth a lasagne and Adrienne a pepperoni pizza and French fries.

‘I’m eating for two,’ she said smiling.

‘So am I,’ I retorted, ‘but at least I’m not poisoning her!’

She poked her tongue out and I replied in like fashion–not exactly ladylike, but it made us laugh anyway. My humour didn’t last, and while the other two were deciding what to do, I began to feel quite tired. I would have been happy just to go and have a lie down, but I had only just found Adrienne and I wanted to spend as much time as possible with her.

After our meal, Bethany and Adrienne were a bit bored. We had covered what had happened and caught up with each others' stories; furthermore we had exhausted any speculation as to what might happen next.

It was decided by Bethany that we needed to check what clothes Adrienne had brought and then, of course, we had to compare hers with ours. I wasn’t much interested, feeling a bit sick and rather tired, but I went along for the ride. Anyway, there wasn’t anything else to do.

Soon Bethany and Adrienne were deep into the intricacies of female fashion. I marvelled at how enthusiastic they both were. I suppose I was feeling a bit left out and sorry for myself as I sat on Adrienne’s bed and watched their antics.

I felt a slow tension build up in me. I wasn’t due another sick pill until tea time and I had a throbbing headache. I really ought to have just told them that I wanted to go for a rest, but didn’t.

They kept going on and on and on––

While Adrienne was slipping on a skirt, Bethany, trying on a blouse, turned to me. ‘What do you think, Becky?’

I looked at her, toying with half-filled glass of Zinga as I felt the tension rise in me. She was so pleased with herself and couldn’t have been more feminine if she tried and for some reason it was upsetting me.

‘Oh, that really looks nice on you,’ Adrienne piped up.

‘Becky?’ Bethany repeated.

I felt as if I was coming to the boil. I felt sick, my head was pounding, I was fed up with all this girl stuff and to cap it all, I was pregnant and that was what was causing all this–this–stuff!

‘You look wonderful, Bethany, you always do and you too Adrienne, you are girls through and through, but I’m not. I’m fed up with this. I didn’t ask for it. I don’t want it. I hate everything, the bloody clothes and the pains; the fact that I have to go to the bloody loo every five minutes. I do not want this. Why should I? I didn’t ask to become pregnant. I didn’t ask to feel sick every single day. I don’t want this stonking great headache neither I do not want to be the saviour of the world, just because I have a girl growing in me. I don’t want it!’

I threw the glass at the wall and it smashed into smithereens. The noise made the others jump, but I was beyond caring now.

I saw them staring at me open-mouthed and couldn’t take any more. With a sob of despair, I ran out of the room along the corridor, up some steps, pushing people out of the way and crying my eyes out as I went. My head was pounding and I needed some air. It was claustrophobic in the house. I wanted some fresh air. I had to get out!

Somehow, I found myself at a side door and wrenched it open, breaking a nail in the process, not that I cared.

There was a small gravel path in front of me and beyond that a manicured lawn. In the distance was the glitter of reflected sunlight on water, a small lake in fact–in the centre of the grounds.

I crossed the path and ran down the gentle slope of the lawn that led to the lake, my steps noiseless as my feet sank into the short grass. I was breathing heavily, my heart pounding away. I had no idea what I was doing and just ran towards the water. My thoughts were jumbled and I started hearing voices.

‘Becky Dear, what are you doing?’

That was Helena.

‘You are very special,’ said Mariah.

‘You have been Chosen and are assimilated,’ said Amanda Jones, the school principal.

‘You are Chosen,’

‘The Chosen One’.

‘You have a baby girl.’

‘You are special.’

‘I AM JOHN!’ I screeched.

I could hear my tortured voice above the noise of the wind in the trees and the fountains of the lake as I went ever closer to the water. I stopped at the edge, my mind confused the voices were growing louder and I had to make them go away.

I stepped forward and shivered slightly as my hot, sandal-clad feet came into contact with the water.

It was cold but not icy. I felt compelled to carry on and I waded in, up to my knees, then waist and chest. The voices wouldn’t go away. It was all too much I couldn’t understand. I felt sick, disorientated and just wanted to sleep.

‘You are the Chosen One–’

‘Protect the unborn child.’

‘You are special, unique,’

‘The fate of the world rests with you…’

‘I–AM–JOHN––’

My head went under and as the water rushed over me, filling my ears and nose...

...I felt a tugging. I was being pulled back. Someone had me under the arm pits and was pulling me back. I was spluttering and breathing in some water as the person tried to keep my head above the water.

‘Just relax and let me help you,’ said a breathless voice, one I knew so well–it was Dada… Dada had come for me.

I was wanted, I was needed. I was loved. My Dada had come for me.

I stopped struggling, pleased that the voices had vanished and the only one I could hear now was that of the man I loved most in all the world–Dada.

I was tired; too tired to do anything to help him, so I just fell asleep––


To be continued…

Please remember to leave comments..it's nice to know if people like/don't like my stories :-)

My thanks go to the brilliant and lovely Gabi for editing, help with the plot-lines and pulling the story into shape.

up
116 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Hopefully

It's just pregnancy induced PMS-on-steroids hormone effects coming. Here's to child making it safe!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

The Chosen~15

WOW! Sue Brown, you sure know how to pull our heartstrings! To me, the best part was at the end.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Backwords

I read the first few chapters and the story did'nt
quite catch my interest. I happen to read this
chapter and found it interesting. So I read the
chapters back words up to chapter 12 and find I
am enjoying the story. Seems I lack patience
or something. So if anyone reads my comment
I would recommend that you give the story an
opportunity to get your interest. I will now start
from the beginning chapters where I originally left
off when the story first appeared. Chapter 15
is impressive.

Kaptin Nibbles

Yay!

I figured we had at least one more twist coming.

Becky/John's break is understandable, but the suicide attempt seems suspicious. The three of them each had something different for lunch, so some infiltrator might have gimmicked Becky's food without affecting the others. Or Adrienne might have done something to her when the two of them hugged. Hearing voices of enemies telling her to save the child (and thus leading her to do the opposite) would be a fairly sophisticated way of making that happen. The save from her father: is it really a rescue and is it really him? After all, she's hearing voices and thus isn't the most reliable of narrators at this particular point, and the net result seems to be her feeling relieved at losing consciousness -- just what a potential killer would want.

But that leaves the question of who would want to kill her and the "chosen" child. Probably the simplest possibility: Adrienne is either (literally) insanely jealous of Becky or somehow convinced that she's carrying a girl herself, and that SHE'LL be the Chosen One if Becky and her fetus die. But this doesn't strike me as something she could do on her own, getting the drugs or providing the stimuli that'd lead to the voices that Becky is hearing. (A mini-radio could do the latter, I suppose, but it'd be tough to fake those particular voices.)

I suppose it's not impossible that Ms Wellgood and her associates might feel their only chance of maintaining power is to eliminate the one reason the rest of the world is closing in on them. But this "reverse psychology" doesn't seem to be the way they'd do it, using themselves as evil forces in Becky's mind. Adrienne -- remember that her parents, like Becky's, worked for the government and might have come under foreign influence -- might be a plant on behalf of a third party, someone with no hope of getting the research data or Becky's child and likely to suffer if the USA&C and its allies do. (That'd be really complicated; we have only Adrienne's word that she was at St Clare's and was rescued by the good guys -- and for that matter, only her word that she's pregnant -- but she went to the meeting with Becky and Bethany; if there were something about her presence that didn't add up, someone ought to have caught on.)

The other possibility has pretty much been Occam's Razored out of existence by now. That's my pet paranoid theory that this whole setup is fake; they're not on the Isle, the world situation isn't what the folks here claim it is, and that "Dada" is head of some sort of conspiracy and not Becky's real father. I don't really want to give it up, but the conspirators' effort to maintain such a pose over this long a period with this many people makes it hard for me to maintain. My last gasp: they were holding off on doing anything until Adrienne could arrive; the new girl is actually carrying a girl fetus and Becky, who potentially knows too much if she puts things together, is now expendable.

Anyway, I'm definitely enjoying this tale, even if it's in my own weird way.

Eric

Meltdown

joannebarbarella's picture

Sue Brown brings out the paranoia in me as well as in Becky. Depression and PMS and teenage (She's still only twelve) angst I can understand, but VOICES ? . That's full-blown schizophrenia and must surely result from some chemical unbalance and intervention.

Is it possible that Adrienne is still under some kind of mind control, possibly a post-hypnotic compulsion? And that she has slipped something to our heroine?

I think Sue is doing something similar to me.

I hear this voice..."You will keep reading. Resistance is futile."

Joanne

Good Points

Maybe I'm being too literal here; the voices could be Becky's imagination portraying a relevant enemy on cue, so to speak. But neither Adrienne nor whoever programmed her (if that's what's happening here) would likely have been in a position to record or imitate voices from the school Becky attended, as opposed to the one Adrienne was at.

Eric

I think it's her conditioning

I think it's her conditioning unwinding. Brainwashing is infamous for being instable and likely to dissolve sooner or later. I think this happened here. The drugs to keep her in her female state of mind weren't given any more so she reverts to his original personality.
Or it's something else.

This story is totally captivating.
thank you for writing sue,

Beyogi

Suspicions...

Something's definitely going on. At first, I thought Becky's explosive outburst was just a natural build-up of tension, exasperated by all the talk of her being "special" because she's carrying a female foetus and the drastic security measures being put in place to protect her.

However, read a bit more deeply and it definitely appears as though something was 'off' with the seafood salad:

While en-route to the meeting, Becky states: "although I enjoyed being a girl, I couldn’t feel quite as enthusiastic as my two friends, so felt a bit left out." She also appears fine, relaxed and happy in the presence of her friends, although she naturally isn't as enthused with the concept of girlishness as her two TG friends.

However, during her outburst: "I felt as if I was coming to the boil. I felt sick, my head was pounding, I was fed up with all this girl stuff and to cap it all, I was pregnant and that was what was causing all this—this—stuff!"

It may just be teenage angst, but since the tensions only built up after eating the seafood salad...

 


EAFOAB Episode Summaries

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

GETTING WORRIED

Keep looking for ep 16 LONG OVERDUE!Is Susan ok? love the story missing my weekly fix.tired of hanging off the cliff.SaaaVVee ME Susan.

But when or how was she drugged or a hypnotic order activated?

The food was from a replicator so unless it was pre-programmed to drug only our heroine, little chance there. She didn't say anyone acted odd or mentioned her food was *off* in taste or texture.

As to during a hug, no recollection of a pin prick, feeling something wet or oily on her skin, no strange word or phrase from her lost friend,

Hypnosis requires re-enforcement or it wears off and she is getting neither anymore and that includes the mind numbing drugs. Though the pregnancy drug if it was unfortunately similar might trigger something if say it was an anti-anxiety med as they had been on huge doses of happy pills before ... but unlikely.

I think its PTSD triggered by seeing Adriana her former best male friend now a very happy and pregnant girl. What HE has lost and the attacks on the Isle of Mann, the murders of other kids she knew and so on has come to the boil. Plus pregnancy , particularly the first trimester causes huge changes in the hormonal balance of the mother. HE was never given the training or education to handle this. Even childhood play is in part preparation for motherhood, the dolls and all that.

And all this The Chosen One and other *praise* is more like taunting to him. It reminds HIM of what HE lost and of the terrible government program he was trapped in, it does not remind HER of what SHE and humankind have gained. HE only sees the downside at the moment, any upside SHE saw is out of mind at the moment.

One additional factor is both groups, the bad people and the good, are mostly concerned with her health and that of her unborn, not her mental state. No one is thinking enough about the poor *murdered* boy inside this young new woman and mother. His mo and dad have comforted her some but not near enough. Perhaps she kept in her stress too well hidden and they assumed she was adapting to her fate?

The conspiracy ideas. a run and kill yourself failsafe hypnotic command, drugs or whatever by the bad guys/gals is possible but the most likely is PTSD combined maybe with some side effect of his transformation into a girl. Is his brain, I mean HER brain structure becoming female and temporarily as it is re-wiring she is chemically unbalanced? Transsexuals on HRT sometimes have huge emotional swings which some equate to a second puberty. Interesting whatever the case.

Look forward to more.

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa