The Chosen~14

Printer-friendly version

We were bombed at 3.30 in the morning…

Angel

The Chosen
By


Susan Brown


Chapter 14

Previously…

The door opened and there was my Mummy. She was looking wonderful. She had never looked prettier, in a calf length black strappy frock that floated around her body. She had her hair up and it really suited her. I felt so proud of my Mummy that I could cry–only I didn’t as I didn’t want to ruin my makeup.

‘Oh, Rebecca, you look absolutely gorgeous, sweetheart.’

‘So do you, Mummy. I love your hair.’

‘Yours too… It looks pretty flicked up like that. You look a lot older than twelve dressed like that.’

‘Do I?’

‘Yes, love, you do.’

‘I—I don’t want to grow up yet–am I silly?’

‘No, sweetheart. You haven’t had much of a childhood, have you? Well, although you are going to be a mum soon, don’t forget to try and have a bit of fun too. You’re only young once.’

‘Not much chance of fun with all this hanging over us.’

‘I know, love, but we make the best of what we’ve got. This government is teetering on the edge and the end can’t be far away. Come on or we’ll be late and you know what your father is like about punctuality.’

‘I thought that it was normal for a girl to be late.’

‘Not as far as he’s concerned. Anyway, I’m starving, aren’t you?’

I thought for a moment. The pills had done the trick, I wasn’t feeling sick and my appetite had come back, so yes, I was hungry.

As we made our way downstairs, arm in arm, I still found it hard to believe that Mummy was next to me and I was about to see Dada, Bethany and Sophia again. I was aware of my silky dress swishing against my legs and my hair brushing gently against my bare shoulders. My lips felt sweet and slightly sticky because of the lip gloss. I had never felt more feminine before and I was really, really happy–happier than I had been for a long, long time. My family and friends were with me and I was relatively safe. How long would it last? I didn’t know, but for now, I would savour the moment and enjoy my young life to the full.

And now the story continues…

We were bombed at 3.30 in the morning.

The previous evening had been wonderful, the dress made me feel like a real girl, almost a princess. I know that it could have been my conditioning that made me feel this way, but, for the moment I just enjoyed looking pretty. It had taken ages to get ready and I think the final effect was as good as it could be. The shimmery gold dress fitted me to perfection and made me feel special. My hair shone with all the brushing and attention that I had given it. My makeup was slightly overstated, but as Mummy said, it’s expected when you glam up.

I was wearing gold sandals on my feet and the heels were a bit higher than I was used to, but for all that, they were quite comfortable. How I would feel though after wearing them for several hours was another question.

Sitting next to my parents and glancing at the people sharing our table, I noticed that everyone had made an effort and, for once, Bethany showed some restraint by wearing a cream satin dress, and her hair up. True, her makeup was a bit heavy, but she had not trowelled it on. I smiled at that catty thought and then looked at Auntie who was sat next to her. I could see that they were both pleased to be together again. Sophia looked sophisticated in an LBD that showed off her lovely figure to the full.

The food was the best that replicators could provide. The older people had wine and wouldn’t have minded a sip or three, but I was in a delicate condition, as Mariah tastefully put it and anyway I was underage: although I didn’t mind too much, because the sparkling apple juice tasted just fine to me.

The evening passed in a haze of good talk and laughter. For once there was no shop talk or mention of the problems we were encountering and I was glad of that. Talking about constant danger and the threats over our heads, doesn’t make for sparkling conversation and repartee. It was a good evening and one that I remember with particular fondness.

All too soon it was time for bed. I still tired somewhat easily and went up before many of the others, but as I took off my makeup and then donned my silky nightie, I hummed a tune that I heard from the sound system while we ate. It was something by Schubert, but for the life of me, I couldn’t remember what it was called.

Anyway, shortly after I got into bed, Mummy and Dada came in and kissed me goodnight.

‘Night,’ I mumbled, as I could hardly keep my eyes open.

I felt two kisses on my forehead and then I must have fallen asleep.

~ §~

It was as if I was in the middle of an earthquake. I seemed to be propelled out of my bed as explosion after explosion seemed to rock the house.

I could hear screaming and the sound of running feet outside. There was dust everywhere and I coughed as I breathed some of it in. The lights had come up and there was the sound of a Claxton or alarm going off somewhere. Then I heard someone shouting over the loudspeaker.

‘All personnel report for duty. All those without duties, follow the red line and go down into the bunkers.’

Hurriedly, I put on my dressing gown and slippers, picked up my bag and ran out of the room, joining others outside, who were tearing along the corridor, either one way or the other. There were two lines illuminating the wall one green, going one way and another red going the other.

I jumped as Bethany, similarly attired to me, grabbed my elbow.

‘Come on!’
she shouted through the noise. I barely recognised her as she had some green gunk on her face and her hair was in huge curlers. The green stuff was, I think, some sort of face pack. I would have laughed in more normal circumstances.

We dashed along the corridor following several others still in their night clothes. I was nearly knocked off my feet by one particularly loud explosion and it was only due to the fact that Beth was holding on to me that I didn’t fall. Next we went down several flights of stairs, through what seemed to be a heavy steel door and then we found ourselves in some sort of large communal area. There were lots of kids here and one or two whom I recognised from the boys’ and the girls’ schools. I was sure I recognised one of the girls from somewhere, but I couldn’t decide where. Why I hadn’t seen her earlier, I didn’t know. But there was no time for speculation as we all lined up and waited for a man to come along and tick us off a list he had.

The bombing had stopped shortly after we reached the bunker but my ears were still ringing from the noise. I felt dusty and my hair was all gritty, but I was no different from anyone else.

After being ticked off the list, we were told to go to another room off the main one. The place looked like it was a purpose built bomb shelter, with equipment and stores lining the walls. I estimated that the sheer size of it meant that it was probably as large as the house above. I marvelled at the organisation of the place and the fact that everyone, except for some of the kids–including me, I am ashamed to admit–were busy, didn’t look frightened and appeared cool and calm in what, to me was a bit of a crisis. I wanted to go and bury my head in the sand–that was how brave I felt at that moment!

Someone touched my arm. I turned around and smiled as I recognised the doctor who had given me an examination.

‘Rebecca, are you all right?’

‘I—I think so, Doctor Eccles–just scared.’

‘Join the club!’ she smiled, ‘no aches or pans down below?’

‘No.’

‘Not feeling sick?’

‘A bit, now you mention it.’

‘Want something for it?’

‘Please.’

‘Come along then. We have medical facilities down here.’

I followed her just as I saw Beth disappear into the ladies–maybe to get that stuff off her face–it did look somewhat weird.

I followed the doctor through several doors and passages until I found myself in what seemed to be a mini hospital. There were a few people on beds or waiting to be seen by the medical teams. Some had knocks, bruises, cuts and things like that. One young girl looked as if her leg was broken and was being attended to by a nurse and doctor. I didn’t have much time to gawp though, as I was shown into a side ward.

‘Sit there for a minute.’

The doctor went away for a moment and then came back with some pills.

‘Here you go, take a couple now and two more in about four hours time. If you get any strange feelings or pains in your tummy let me know immediately. The last thing we want now is for you to become ill or lose your baby.’

I swallowed the pills with a drink of water and then watched the doctor keying some things in on her touch screen.

‘Doctor, what’s happening?’

She looked up. ‘Oh, we were attacked by the UK forces. Our shields held though. What we felt was the shock waves that couldn’t be fully dissipated.’

‘Why attack us?’

She looked at me quizzically.

‘Don’t you know?’

‘No.’

She paused for a moment to gather her thoughts. ‘Well, I think it was because they wanted to destroy our organisation despite the dire threats from US of A & C that they would not tolerate any attacks on I.O.M. but there is you as well.’

‘Me?’ I squeaked.

‘Yes, they wanted to kill you. If they couldn’t have you, they didn’t want another country taking advantage of your unique status.’

I slumped down and I could feel tears forming in the corner of my eyes.

‘S—S—So it’s all my fault?’

She grabbed me by the shoulder. ‘Never say that. It is their fault and their disgusting, rotten regime. They have wanted an excuse to get rid of us for some time. They are mad to do this, knowing what reprisals might come their way. It’s just their arrogance that makes them think that they are untouchable.’

‘Why are you telling me all this?’

‘Because for my sins apart from being a medical doctor I am also a qualified psychiatrist, so if you feel that things are getting you down or you can’t cope, come and see me. I was asked by your parents to make sure that you are all right. They are busy right now, as you can imagine, and they wanted you to have a heads up on the situation, because they–and so do I–think that you deserve to know all that we know. I would ask you to keep what I have told you to yourself for the moment; not everyone can cope with the truth. They will be told in a controlled way. Now if you feel a bit better, you should go and find a chair or a bed somewhere and get some rest. In your condition, you need to take it easy when you get the chance.’

‘Thanks, Doctor,’ I said standing up. ‘Doctor?’

‘Yes, love?’

‘I—I—I’m scared.’

She opened her arms and I ran to her. I cried my eyes out and couldn’t stop my emotions from taking me over for a while.

After several minutes, I calmed down.

‘T—thanks.’ I sniffed.

‘Feel a bit better now?’

‘Y—yes. Thank you for being here.’

‘Don’t mention it,’ she smiled.

~ §~

I found Bethany after a bit of a search, sitting on a bunk bed in one of the side rooms. Her face had that clean, just scrubbed look and I noted how pretty she really was without all those layers of makeup. I noted that many of the younger children were back in bed and asleep. I could not fathom how they could all sleep after everything we had been through.

Bethany was brushing her hair and didn’t look particularly happy, although she did smile as I came up and sat on the bed next to hers.

‘What’s up Beth?’ I asked.

‘My hair’s a mess. I wanted to go and have a shower and wash my hair but this enormous woman–who looked like a lady wrestler–told me that water is rationed for the moment and washing hair is not considered as a priority. I ask you. The woman has her priorities all wrong. At least she let me wash my face.’

I laughed. ‘Trust you to think more about your hair and face than the emergency we’re having.’

‘There is no point in worrying over something you can’t do anything about. I can’t sort out the world’s problems but I can sort out mine.’

There was some sort of twisted logic there, but I was too worried and tired to think about it.

‘I’m going to bed, I’m cream crackered.’

I smiled at that, one of Dada’s favourite sayings, although I never did understand it.

I got into bed and thought I would stay awake for ages, but somehow just fell asleep.

~ §~

The following morning we were all wakened early. After a makeshift breakfast of good old-fashioned corn flakes and toast. We were all told that there was a meeting back upstairs and we had to be quick with our breakfasts. I noticed, as I followed the others back up into the main house, that there were signs of damage on some of the walls and ceilings, with cracks here and there where plaster had fallen off some of the walls. But apart from that, the place seemed to be in pretty good shape. I was wearing trackie-bums and a top; it wasn’t a day for dressing up, as far as I was concerned, especially with all the dust lying around, but tell that to Bethany who was wearing a totally impractical lemon-coloured dress.

‘Well,’ she said indignantly, ‘someone’s got to keep up standards!’

Sometimes I thought she was twelve coming on forty.

We sat in roughly the same place in the theatre as the previous day.

Mummy and Dada were on the stage with several other people. I finger waved them and smiled when it was returned. Mind you, they both looked tired, as if they’d had little sleep lately. There was a buzz of conversation going around, but that quietened down when Mariah came onto the stage. You could tell that she was a leader. She had the sort of bearing that demanded attention.

She stopped in front of the stage and looked out at us.

‘Thank you for coming.’ She said smiling tiredly. ‘We have all had a somewhat rough night, but things are looking up, I hope. For those of you who are unaware of what happened early this morning, we were attacked by a number of missiles launched from the UK. I think they expected to totally obliterate this place and all people in it. What they were not aware of is that we have sophisticated defences supplied by our allies in the US of A& C. Although we do not have offensive weapons, we are well able to protect ourselves against conventional weapons.’

She stopped for a moment as her mini UPad went off.

‘Excuse me,’ she said apologetically.

She went to the side of the stage and whispered conversations started up all over the theatre. She was gone for a good five minutes and I am ashamed to say, I fell asleep, only to be nudged awake by Beth as Mariah walked back to the centre of the stage.

‘I apologise for the interruption, but I was awaiting confirmation of a few things. The UK had sent us last night an ultimatum that we should all give ourselves up or face the consequences. This was stupid move on their part as it gave us time to ensure that our defences were in place and that relevant allies were put on warning as to what was going to happen. The call that I have just taken was from the leader of The US of A & C, Clara Wallbecker. She informed me that they, together with several other nations have imposed sanctions on the UK and warned them if they do not desist from the warlike actions against the Isle of Man, then tougher sanctions will be put in place, up to and possibly including the use of armed force...’

There was a sharp intake of breath and several people called out as these words were spoken.

‘Please, please, I have not finished.’

Things quietened down. I found my hand in Bethany’s. I think that she was as scared as I was at this sudden escalation.

‘For reasons of security, I can’t tell you much more at present, but please be aware that the situation is fluid and will remain so for a while. We have not heard the UK government’s reaction to all this, but from sources close to the leadership, we know that they are rattled and in some turmoil. As soon as we are able, we will update you on the situation, but for time being, could you please carry on as normal–or as normal as you can under the circumstances–thank you.’

She left the stage with the others, including my parents who I would have dearly loved to speak to and the lights faded up. Bethany and I glanced at one another, and I was just about to comment when both of our uPads chimed.

We looked at each other again, shrugged and then checked our devices.

‘Please go to the admin office on the first floor. Room B213’

‘Oooh, we have the same message,’ Bethany said, craning over my shoulder.

We followed the others out and made our way up the ornate staircase and to room B213. We couldn’t really miss it as a lot of people we coming in and going out of there. I felt a bit sick–again–and wondered if it was just nerves or preggy-type sickness.

The door swung open, I still wasn’t used to old fashioned doors that actually required you physically to open and close them to work–how old fashioned is that? Anyway, we made our way inside and saw yet another huge room similar to the one we were in yesterday with banks of vid screens and lots of people at desks with monitors, all looking very busy. I didn’t have much chance to take all that in as Dada materialised from somewhere and was standing in front of us.

‘Neat trick, Unc,’ said Bethany appreciatively. Dada grimaced at being called Unc once again. I swear that Bethany did it to wind him up!

After a hug and kiss, he was all business. ‘Okay, girls, come this way.’

‘What’s it all about, Dada?’

‘Wait and see, sweetie,’

We were led into another room. Only Mummy, Auntie Connie and Mariah were there. I went straight to Mummy and gave her a big hug.

‘Hello, honey, no dress this morning?’

I smiled ruefully. ‘I’m not Bethany, you know.’

‘I heard that,’ said Beth indignantly and then shut up as Mariah looked across at us and frowned.

Mariah was talking on the vid to a rather elderly lady who I vaguely recognised but could not put a put a name to the face. Then as her name was spoken I knew…

‘Pia, thanks for the advice.’

…Pia Constantine was the UK leader thirty years ago. She retired from politics shortly afterwards. A great leader some said the last great leader we had. Why was Mariah talking to her?

The vid went blank and Mariah turned to us.

‘Sit down, all of you, please.’

We found chairs and settled down. Mariah then looked around, glanced at some notes on her table screen and then looked straight at me.

‘Rebecca, how are you feeling, dear?’

I was getting a bit fed up with everyone asking the same question, but you don’t argue with Mariah. ‘All right; a bit sick and tired sometimes, but Doctor Eccles has given me some tablets to counteract that.’

‘Good–’

Just then someone came in behind me and shut the door quietly.

Mariah looked up and then nodded.

‘Talk of the devil; hello Phillipa, have you got the results?’

I glanced behind me and saw that it was Doctor Eccles.

‘Yes, Mariah.’

Mariah looked at me again.

‘Rebecca, Doctor Eccles has the results of the tests regarding the gender of your baby. Tradition says that you have the choice whether to know your baby’s gender or not. Do you wish to know?’

‘Yes please. I need to know.’

‘Would you like us all to leave for a moment while the doctor talks to you?’

I looked around at my family. I needed them with me, now of all times.

‘No, that’s okay; you are all sort of involved.’

I was holding Mummy’s hand and Dada was sitting on the other side of me. There was a pause that seemed like eternity. My mind was in a turmoil. This would be the final confirmation as to whether I was making history or just that I was just another transformed girl with baby boy in her tummy.

Doctor Eccles came over and sat on the corner of Mariah’s desk.

‘Rebecca, we have done extensive tests and repeated them twice, just to make sure. I can confirm that the baby–your baby–is a girl.’

There was a sharp intake of breath and I felt very weak. If I hadn’t have been sitting down, I would have probably fallen.

Nothing was said for a moment. I had a feeling that Mariah already knew the results of the tests as she didn’t seem very surprised.

Mummy hugged me and then Dada. The rest followed in quick succession and Bethany whispered in my ear, ‘You are a lucky girl!’

When everyone settled down again and I had stopped blubbing, Mariah spoke up.

‘Rebecca, the reason why everyone is here is that we need to ensure that you are safe. Believe it or not, you are one of the most important people in the world right now. The fact that we have been attacked–even though reprisals are bound to follow–show us that the UK government are keen to make sure that you are not put into the hands of a foreign power. If another country were to have you, and was able to replicate what has happened to you, then the UK has no bargaining power. We do know that some of the schools with transformed girls are–as we speak–trying to replicate the treatment used on you. Whether they will be successful or not, we cannot surmise. What I do know is that Sophia, in her guise as Marriette, was able to wipe some of the information off the medical data computers at your school, including, I am pleased to say, most if not all of your tests results at the medical centre. That was the prime reason why she had to get out of there quickly. We are not one hundred percent sure, but, incredibly, we have learnt that the results had not been backed up in any way–extremely sloppy, but indicative of the way things are at the moment. So they are handicapped in a way which we hope will prevent them doing anything about it–in the short term anyway.’

‘What’s going to happen to me?’ I asked, not liking the feeling that I was some sort of pawn in an elaborate game.

I realised something else was going on here–call it women’s intuition. Heck, a girl for ten minutes and already I think that I have it––

‘To be frank, we don’t think that you are safe here. We have repulsed one attack, but next time they may use stronger weapons. We are in the process of moving everybody out. We have several safe places we can use. I am concerned that the more people who know your whereabouts, the more chances there are that you will be found, captured or eliminated. I have spoken to your parents and they agree with me. We want to move you to a separate safe place. Your parents, Connie, Bethany, Doctor Eccles and a few other people will be coming with you. How do you feel about that?’

‘Do I have a choice?’

‘Not really. I cannot guarantee your safety, but this is the best we can do for you. You carry a very special cargo, but you are just as important, if not more so. If you can have one female child, you can bear another. We need to find out whatever it is that helps you to conceive girls, so that others can benefit and the genetic time bomb with which we have been living for years can be defused.’

I gazed at the others. Even Bethany looked sober and was not playing with her hair or clothes. This was incredibly heavy for a twelve-year-old, but I had been living with the consequences of all this since the day I was born. I felt a twinge in my tummy. It couldn’t be a kick, as she was too small, but more of a fluttering. Nerves, maybe?

‘I had better go and get packed then.’ I said more brightly than I felt.

~ §~

I sat with Dada in the hover. Mummy was flying it with Auntie Connie up front. It didn’t take long for me to pack the few items that I had. Clothes were supplied by stores, who had a surprisingly wide selection. I was wearing a pale pink blouse and white skirt. Not so much of a girlie statement as Bethany in her black micro dress, but I had grown to love feminine clothes and wanted to look my best.

It had been a frantic few hours as many people had to be moved to safety. Hovers were going hither and thither all the time, including heavy truck hovers that were to move all the equipment from the house. I met Mariah one more time before she went off somewhere.

‘Look after yourself, Becky,’ she said briefly, ‘I think the next twenty-four to forty-eight hours are going to be difficult; look after yourself.’ She then had brief words with the others before she was whisked off somewhere with the rest of her staff.

The hover we rode in was larger than the one we used to get to the island. I suppose that there must have been about thirty of us aboard. For security reasons the windows were blacked out. Once again it was a case of “if you don’t know where you are, you can’t tell anybody”.

I was acutely aware that all this was about me. I was the one being protected and in need of protection. I felt a heavy weight of responsibility and expectation and it didn’t fit comfortably upon my young shoulders.

I knew that we were still on The Isle Of Man. We had been told that it was still the safest place for the moment and anyway, if any attempt was made to leave its waters, we would have been brought down by government attack ships.

After fifteen minutes or so, I could feel the deceleration as we came in to land. Soon, Bethany and I were being ushered into a hole in the side of a hill!

Appearances were deceptive though, since inside the hill was a large fully functioning underground area, with rooms, offices and big open spaces. It was strange though, because we appeared to be the only ones there! I found out later that formerly it had been a government nuclear shelter complex which had been altered for our use–or rather the resistance forces’ use.

For the time being it was going to be our home until things settled down a bit. I was given a room next to the medical centre. It was plain, had green metal walls and wasn’t exactly girlie, but I didn’t complain as it did have a comfortable bed, a large wardrobe and I had my own toilet facilities. It also had a dressing table with a large mirror and someone had thoughtfully supplied some of my favourite makeup, some brushes, clips and other essentials like a vid, a computer and other items that make a girl’s life bearable.

After sorting myself out and putting what clothes that I had brought with me in the wardrobe, I sank down on the bed with a sigh. I must have dropped off because the next thing I knew, I was being shaken on the shoulder by Dada.

‘Becky, sorry to wake you, honey, but you have to come with me.’

‘Okay, Dada, can I use the loo first?’ I was finding already that I used the toilet–a lot, now that I was pregnant. Heaven knows what it would be like when I was the size of a beached whale.

‘Of course.’ he smiled.

A few minutes later, I found myself in a conference room with several rows of chairs. Everybody seemed to be there and I just sat next to Beth who smiled squeezed my arm in greeting. Dada went up to the front to stand with my mother and Auntie Connie.

Mummy spoke up as soon as the room grew quiet.

‘Thank you, everybody, for coming; I know that you are all busy. However we have some news that you need to be aware of.’

She stopped for a moment and then continued; ‘I received a com from Mariah about twenty minutes ago. It seems that the headquarters have been mini-nuked by persons unknown but more than likely it was the UK armed forces on direct orders from Alysia Wellgood’s government. The house and surrounding areas have been totally destroyed. Luckily, everyone had been evacuated in time and no lives were lost. The Manx government has called for assistance and The US of A & C’s Atlantic fleet are on the way. These are the latest plasma powered warships and they can travel at 250 knots, so they shouldn’t be long in arriving. Also The US of A & C have increased their DEFCON level to 2 and have threatened to declare war on the UK if any further offensive moves are made against I.O.M. Their air force is also on a state of alert, so it seems as though, at last, Alysia Wellgood’s government have painted themselves into a corner.’

This news was received in stunned silence and then a man stood up.

‘What does that mean for us?’ he asked

Mummy gazed at him and then glanced at the rest of us, her eyes resting on me momentarily and then moving on.

‘To be honest, I don’t know, but I do know that the UK armed forces are as strong as they have been in fifty years; I also know that the heads of the armed services are not particularly happy with the government. The situation is very volatile but what really worries me is that Alysia Wellgood might just lash out like a wounded lion and to hell with the consequences.’

~ §~

After the meeting I returned to my room. It was all getting a bit much, and sitting on my bed, I was rather tearful. I did not want to show my emotions in front of the others, but my hormones seemed to be doing crazy things to me at the moment. I just wondered when things would get better and then, maybe, we might have some good news for a change. Then I remembered the baby–my baby–growing slowly and surely in my womb. I had to be strong for her and the countless other babies that I hoped might follow once they had cracked the puzzle of no female children. That was good news, wasn’t it?

It was good news if I lived through all this mayhem. Only time would tell.

There was a knock on the door.

‘Come in,’ I glanced up, wiping my eyes with a tissue. I didn’t want to be seen crying.

The door opened slowly and then a girl entered. She was very pretty and immediately I recognised her as the girl from the previous day whom I thought I’d seen before–maybe at Overdean, my school? I wasn’t sure.

‘Rebecca, remember me?’

I stared at her–there was something very familiar about her–

‘Adrian––?’


To be continued?

Please remember to leave comments..it's nice to know if people like/don't like my stories.

I have noted a drop off in comments and readership on this story and would like your feedback as to whether I should continue to explore the story and concept or wind it up tidily. :-)

My thanks go to the brilliant and lovely Gabi for editing, help with the plot-lines and pulling the story into shape.

up
133 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I like this story

Sue, I like your writing and have enjoyed your postings. Please keep this going. Thanks.

Hugs,
Trish-Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

Hugs,
Trish Ann
~There is no reality, only perception~

The Chosen~14

This is one of your darker stories with all of the intrigue, but b est of all is the cliffhangers.

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

I like the story

Sue,

The fact that you can move quickly from humour to drama to science fiction just shows us what a talented writer you are. I for one would be saddened if you didn't continue this story; and the others as well.

Susie

A blast from the past...

I couldn't remember who Adrian was, so I had to go back and look her up. Unless I'm mistaken, this is the first reference to her since the first chapter (When she was John's best friend at the boy's school). Obviously she's made some progress towards being a girl already, but what brings her to be on the Isle of Man? Curiouser and curiouser!

The UK government is truly out of control and will, I imagine, implode very soon. Or get nuked, whichever comes first.

You always do keep things interesting Sue. Please keep up the great work! :)

Saless 


Kittyhawk"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

There is a very important point you did not mention:

The door opened and Adrian came out, he was dressed in his school uniform again.

‘Hi Aid, how did it go?’

‘I won’t be chosen,’ he said. ‘I’m marginally diabetic and though they can treat it and cure it, they won’t take a chance in my being picked.’

Adrian Metcalf was not their first choice due to a pre-existing medical condition. For him to be there, and to be en femme, it can mean that Wellgood regime is indeed desperate.

Other point is that she was taken to an extra-secure facility, for the MIP (Most Important Persons), and apparently on the first ride. So Adrian is likely not a stowaway.

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Faraway


On rights of free advertisement:
Big Closet Top Shelf

Where you can fool around like you want to and most you get is some bemused good ribbing!

Please continue!

Due to the subject nature of the story, it probably will never be as popular as your 'lighter' works, but it's still a thumping good read - especially since the escape, since the threat isn't what unorthodox things are being done with their bodies and minds, but the UK government getting paranoid and trigger happy. At least, if they're in a disused nuclear bunker, they should be safe from whatever the MoD finds to batter them with.

As for Adrian, as a refresher, here are a few useful bits from Chapter 1:

‘I won’t be chosen,’ he said. ‘I’m marginally diabetic and though they can treat it and cure it, they won’t take a chance in my being picked...I wouldn’t have minded.’ [being chosen, and the doctor said] ‘That, if I still felt that way when they cure the diabetes, then I could try the transgender route. She said that I could have some pills to stop me having male puberty, if I have yet more psych tests and evaluations, that is.’

So Adrian either went down the transgender route or the powers that be were so desperate they overruled their own advice.

And as for safety / secrecy, hopefully Sophia took a copy of Rebecca's medical notes before deleting it from the computer, so if she does deliver a healthy baby girl, they can put the necessary information into the public domain, so it's equally available to all countries. Not only to deliver worldwide stability, but also because once the process is known, there won't be so much pressure to inseminate future "chosen" asap, so they can have a chance to get used to their new bodies before settling down to motherhood.

 


EAFOAB Episode Summaries

There are 10 kinds of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who don't...

As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Smashing!

Sci-Fi, mystery, intrigue, involuntary sex-changes and impregnated children, fascist governments, civil unrest worldwide, rebels, international tension, the Isle of Man a player on the world stage, the fate of Mankind hanging in the balance, and now nuclear weapons! There's little chance of this story getting boring any time soon.

Keep up the fabulous work!

___________________
If a picture is worth 1000 words, this is at least part of my story.

Sue, a great story with a

Sue, a great story with a very plausible plot threaded throughout. I do have a question tho, regarding Becky and 'girls' like her. As she is twelve years old, making her pregnant at that young age could easily cause severe problems to the unborn child. Did the 'school' that did this to her take this into consideration or is it 'use, abuse' and put away wet' science? I do realize other 'girls' had been tested and have died in the efforts, but still, if you have a 'positive' test result, why would you want to possibly kill or severely harm the person or unborn child who gave you the positive results? Just my thoughts on it all. Jan

+1 vote!

It's a thrilling story, but I can't help but feel sorry for Rebecca and her baby girl. If the world is in as dire straits as it appears, they are both likely to spend the rest of their reproductive lives as baby factories.

I hope there's a twist the proves me wrong :)

Your comment makes me think…

…of baby farming, HMS Pinafore by Gilbert & Sullivan and one of Little Buttercup’s arias:

A many years ago,
When I was young and charming,
As some of you may know,
I practised baby-farming.

Chorus.
Now this is most alarming!
When she was young and charming,
She practised baby-farming,
A many years ago.

Buttercup.
Two tender babes I nursed:
One was of low condition,
The other, upper crust,
A regular patrician.

Chorus. (explaining to eachother)
Now, this is the position:
One was of low condition,
The other a patrician,
A many years ago.

Buttercup.
Oh, bitter is my cup!
However could I do it?
I mixed those children up,
And not a creature knew it!

Chorus.
However could you do it?
Some day, no doubt, you'll rue it,
Although no creature knew it,
So many years ago.

Buttercup.
In time each little waif
Forsook his foster-mother,
The well born babe was Ralph â€'
Your captain was the other!

Chorus.
They left their foster-mother,
The one was Ralph, our brother,
Our captain was the other,
A many years ago.

’Tis strange that we might have to indulge in baby-farming in the future. I'm glad I'll be long gone before it happens.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Gabi.


“It is hard for a woman to define her feelings in language which is chiefly made by men to express theirs.” Thomas Hardy—Far from the Madding Crowd.

Sue , You most do

what you feel is right as regards carrying on with The Chosen, But if you want my opinion, Then it is most definitely a vote for carrying on and taking this story of Good v evil, To what i hope will be a satisfactory (for the goodies!)conclusion.

Kirri

Naughty! Naughty!

joannebarbarella's picture

The response to the bombing of the I.O.M. with "threats of serious sanctions" reminds me of some of the political shenanigans of today.

"If you dare use your nuclear weapons we will say some very harsh words to you."

Evidently the world's politicians have not changed in fifty years.

Good stuff, Sue,

Joanne

I choose for you to continue!!

Pamreed's picture

I really like this story, maybe because I am a SF fan!! But the basics of coping becoming a girl are the same with some added bits!! I was used to quicker chapters in your other stories and always look each day for a new entry!! So please continue
this very good story!!!

Fare thee well,
Pamela

"how many cares one loses when one decides not to be
something, but someone" Coco Chanel

The Chosen

More, more! I am very pleased with the story, and I don't want to ask you to rush, but I hope there is more coming SOON! Thank you, very much!

Wren

My vote, continue

[email protected] Susan, though I just read the first chapter, I fully intend to keep reading. I just joined the site last week and have been following several other serials, but I'll definately add this to my 'must read' list. As a life-long fan of Sci-fi (I even have a modest collection of signed first editions, one by Asimov) this is the first I've read that's TG themed. I've tried a few others, but could never make it through the first chapter. I didn't have that problem with this. It held my attention thoroughly and I found myself at the end of the chapter wanting to know what'll happen next. You can count on me as a new reader. Hopefully, there will be many more!

While I'm here I'd like to thank you for 'Football Girl'. Loved it!

Gotta go back to chapter 2 now to find out what travails ensue.

Thanks,

Jonelle.

I just love The Chosen

Like so many others, I just love The Chosen!
It's exciting, thought-provoking, and very well written.

Kris

Kris

{I leave a trail of Kudos as I browse the site. Be careful where you step!}

It's Getting Tougher...

...for any of my past paranoid scenarios to make sense now. But if I'm not mistaken, we still only know it's the Isle of Man because Rebecca's been told so (and saw its emblem conveniently on an office wall). The hovercraft window was blacked out again when they moved her, even though in her case the excuse seems absurd: if she's the one they're looking for and the opposition decides to take her alive after all, it'll be no secret where she is once they find her -- unless her current group has a scenario where she's a bargaining chip, to be delivered to the UK or USA&C or another nation without their learning where she'd been.

Further, Rebecca has seen, heard and felt the minor damage from the conventional bombing last night, but the base's nuclear destruction is hearsay.

So is her future daughter, but it's tough to come up with a reason why everyone would go through all this trouble with her if the fetus is just disinformation. If it's all a plot to pry some key information from Rebecca's parents, this seems like too convoluted a way to do it. Actually, though, now that I think of it, I guess it's possible that they've faked the whole thing to give her value as a hostage, to be sold fraudulently to the highest bidder. (Especially now that they claim they've destroyed any government records that might say anything different.)

I'm pretty sure this chapter marks the first time Rebecca has said "I found out later...". True, we don't know how much later, whether during the course of this story or after the fact. But it appears that we're being told that this mountain shelter really is what it seems to be. (Does that mean it's actually Manx? I'm not sure...)

Anyway, I'm still enjoying this and looking forward to finding out if any twists remain.

Eric

Add my yes vote on continuing

Sue, you've crafted a compelling, if somewhat dark story here that obviously has more followers than you were thinking. With good reason for the interested readers, I think.

So many things have been said already, and I'll try not to repeat to much here. Drama, intrigue, some mystery, intensity on many levels, good characters, and never a dull moment in this one. What more could someone ask for in a story?

So yes, please do continue with it.

Maggie