1982

Printer-friendly version

Ohhh ahh the smell of this place! (In the basement with the forever picture above the desk) Everytime I enter supply to see that picture of a rat getting it from another rat and there is a line of rats waiting there turn behind him. Thats why I figured people never complain to one another in there. Like the quote says your gonna get it wheather you ask for it or not.
Must be something left over from Viet Nam. The skipper was there with the big red one. Now that term always made me cringe. Oh I know how it goes there the guys who jump out of hueys face first ,repelling through the air. Sarg has more experience in this motorpool than being able to do that anymore.

Well here we are getting our lbe stuff and gear for the field with live ammo and c4 bombs.. My turn to get geared after specialist Borjia. Next we get geared up and ready to muster after we draw weapons.
I got here only not even a year ago as a green e1. What do they hand me but an m60 and the bag with extra barrel plus a 45. I had over 200 lbs of gear to hump my first field time. My gunny assistant pvt knockless gets trench foot the first big push that year. The biggest field exercise Once a year held in the snow. SUNKNOW! Now I had to go before the promotion board against five other people to win my second stripe.
I went from e1 to e4! Why me I dunno because the others were here before me. I can't judge but I would not have picked myself. I would be proud to be just going before the board at all.

Anne and Penny are joking now. I got here with Anne Borjia who was a pfc and supply sgt P. Watkins was here now three years! Her able spec James Lee from Alabama. Sgt Barber from Kansas city Kansas and our squad leader of the motor pool just came to the supply basement now and he is smiling as usual. I met them before they got this stripe now. Feels good and an honor to serve with men and women as them plus all the others here and our sister units.
We are close and getting a hard bond from backing each other now. I get this knowing so able to command my countanance away from here from them even me. I will die.

I KNOW death has come for me and I will never see home again. I will make only two of my four year hitch. Silent screems of fear and terror holding me. Man! I don't want to die! Eyes darting but know one suspects me. I plan to get out in four years! Man! Maybe its my nerves? Maybe I made myself scared? Yeah I WILL JUST SHAKE(death knowing impending doom and despare take over) ᬔ  á²Æ’Æ’…

Thinking to myself I'm gonna die(looking at my buddies) I know I'm marked by death. There is nothing I can do or say to my buddies. I know we will miss each other. I can't feel emotion now because death has my hand up when we go to the field.

up
57 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I hope

Cavrider----Just another " Grunt."

there is more .

Cavrider----Just another " Grunt."