Ares Bane: Nemesis (Part 1)

Printer-friendly version



What's a guy to do when his mother shows up after being gone for thirteen years and tells him she's the last of the mythical Amazon race?

Author's note: This story is part of my Faerie Queen Universe. You do not have to know anything about the universe to understand what is going on. This story will be told in three parts.

Part One

"She's here again," I said to my best friend and teammate, Marcus Latrelle.

He looked over in the stands and saw the statuesque brunette in the third row, not fifty feet away. "Maybe she has a thing for younger guys."

"Dude, she's been coming to my games for five years -- that I know of. Unless she's got the hots for twelve year olds…" My thought trailed off when I saw her eyes connect with mine. The lightest of smiles traced her lips, almost Mona Lisa like. I just knew that there was something behind that thoughtful visage.

"Well, it's your birthday. After we kick Klein High's ass this inning you can cash in on your stalker." Marcus' smile broadened. "I mean it's legal and everything. Just make sure you use a condom. Wouldn't do to have a pregnant stalker when you move on up to the Majors."

The thought of having sex with the woman was the furthest thing from my mind. For some reason I just wasn't turned on by her, which made no sense whatsoever. She was stunningly beautiful, couldn't be more than twenty-five, and was obviously in fantastic shape. Maybe it was because I was more into blondes.

I shook my head. That's the stupidest excuse. She was hot, but she did absolutely nothing for me. Jesus, maybe I'm turning gay or something. I covertly looked at Marcus and down at his ass. I was secure enough in my manhood to recognize that he was the female ideal. Nope, I'm not gay. Thank god.

"Jennings, quit looking at Latrelle's ass and get your head in the game. You're on deck."

I rolled my eyes and cringed at being busted eyeing my best friend's butt. Marcus laughed and playfully slapped his left cheek. "Not in your wildest fantasies, T.J. It's an exit only orifice."

"Fuck you," I said under my breath. I knew he was joking and he knew I was joking.

I grabbed my helmet and put it on before finding my thirty-four-inch Louisville Slugger and making my way to the warm up circle. I slipped on a weight down the neck of the bat and pinwheeled my right arm a few times before switching to my left. She watched me the entire time. How do I know? Well, I was watching her as well.

Her eyes seemed to sparkle as her gaze dug into me.

I heard the crack of a bat and ball meeting, and my attention was diverted to the runner zooming by me to fill the bases. I already knew the situation, but I let my attention fall on the scoreboard. Can it be anymore cliché? Bottom of the ninth, two outs; the score was ten to seven, and we weren't on the winning side. I cracked my neck and took a deep breath as I approached the plate.

I bat right-handed, so she caught my attention once more as I knocked off the dirt from the bottom of my cleats. The lady was on her feet now and had moved down to the front of the bleachers. After balancing my bat against my thigh I went through my routine and tightened the Velcro strips on my gloves, adjusted my helmet and spit to the side. It's stupid, but I'm going to need every bit of luck I could get if I was going to pull this off, and that was my good luck routine.

The lady leaned on the guardrail and smiled at me. I don't know why, but I felt encouraged, at ease. It was like I was relaxed, even though I knew the game came down to me making the perfect play.

I grabbed my bat and set my grip as I stepped in the batter's box.

A single breath, in through the nose and out through the mouth, set my resolve. I took one look in the pitcher's eyes and watched him wave three signals away before settling on the fourth. He didn't know it, but he had a tell for each of his pitches. The one I was most concerned with was the muscle twitch in his jaw that screamed fastball.

I let all of my concentration focus on his hidden hand after knowing that little tidbit. He went through his wind up and the second he released the ball everything in the stadium slowed to a crawl. I absolutely knew, beyond any doubt whatsoever, that the ball was high and outside, as it crept into the catcher's glove a second later, or five seconds later, by my perception.

My eyes bugged and I stepped back from the plate. What the hell was that?

"BAAAWWWLL," the Umpire yelled.

"Good eye, T.J.!" Coach hollered from the dugout.

I looked up at the lady again and she had her hands clasped together at her chin in anticipation. Shaking off the weird experience I stepped back into the batter's box and took my position. There was that same jaw twitch. Fastball again.

I focused once more on his hand and when he released the ball it happened again. Everything slowed down and I knew again where the ball was going, straight into the dirt.

"BAAAAWWWLLLLLLL TWOOOO!"

My hands faltered on the bat for a moment, and my eyes flickered to the lady again. Her knuckles were pale. I could see that she was squeezing the hell out of her hands. My mouth had gone dry.

Once more we all went through our routines. Jaw twitch, fastball, and the world slowed down. One thing that was different this time is that I knew the pitch was in the zone. A little low and on the outside, but well within my optimum hitting range. I lifted my left foot up and then planted it, shifting my weight, and swinging away with everything I had.

CRACK!

It's gone. I knew it the moment I connected with it. A high and away ball, right down the middle of the field; the deepest portion of the stadium, four hundred yards. I dropped the bat and started trotting to first base as I watched the ball do something I had never seen before. It gained height and cleared the inner wall, up into the bleachers and beyond, until it disappeared out of the stadium.

Screams deafened me from all around. Whoa!

Right before I tagged first base I saw the lady for the last time as she gave me a very proud smile and turned away to leave the game.

~O~

Due to nervous excitement, I almost wasn't able to drive home. The scouts were there. Four of them wanted to talk to me. I took their cards and told them talk to my dad. I may be eighteen today and legally able to make my own decisions, but I was also humble enough to know that I didn't know what the heck I was talking about when dealing with try outs, contracts, and deals with the major league teams.

I knew I was good enough. I was rated number one in the USA Today's Baseball tracking poll for High School level. My stats were off the charts. Baseball was in my blood. My career was a foregone conclusion. It was just a matter of how many zeroes were behind the first number and for what team I was going to start off with. My life was virtually perfect. Except for one area.

My hands were still shaking on the steering wheel when I pulled into the driveway and into the garage. I hit the remote to close the door and exited the garage into the back yard to the backdoor. Except there was someone waiting for me, and it wasn't Marcus.

I jerked to a stop when I saw her. She was just a little shorter than I was, putting her about five-ten or eleven. I wasn't afraid for my safety. I knew I'd be able to defend myself. It was just creepy to have my stalker for the last five years suddenly reveal herself to me personally.

She stood before me, hands clasped together behind her body. Her head held high, and her shoulders, broad and strong, were square at attention. She wore tight, form-fitting jeans and a white scoop necked tee, feet clad in simple white running shoes.

"Hello Thales."

That immediately put me on guard. Few people knew my actual name, and even fewer knew how to pronounce it. Most people say it like 'Whales' except for a TH at the beginning, or maybe 'Thall-ess', but only my father and grandparents on his side pronounce it properly as 'They-luss'.

"Um… hi," I returned. Contrary to what Marcus said, I have no interest in having sex with the lady, and that is the only reason that I know of as to why she's standing at my back door. Believe me, I'm not being cocky. I've had cheerleaders, drill team girls, you name it and she's probably been at my house for sex, or at the very least as girlfriend potential. Plus, I already have a girlfriend, and I don't cheat. I lost my virginity when I was fifteen and made the starting line up for the varsity team. I'm no stranger to the 'look' in girl's eyes.

Except for one thing… the lady didn't have the look. So what the heck did she want with me?

Her bright cerulean blue eyes bore into me with an intensity I'd never seen before. It almost made me want to look away. It was commanding and powerful.

"Look, um…" I was tongue-tied and nervous for some reason. "If you have a card or something I can give it to my dad."

Her smile widened displaying a perfectly white and even set of teeth. "I'm not an agent, Thales. Perhaps, you should call your father and tell him I am here."

I looked to the side, for a moment, trying to figure out why she'd want me to call my dad. Did she know him?

I reached into my front pocket and pulled out my cell. Hitting the number two on speed-dial I waited for a moment until Dad answered.

"Hey hot shot. I heard on the radio that you won. Congratulations."

"Um, thanks Dad." I cut him off before he could continue. "Hey, there's a lady here in the back yard. She wanted me to call you."

Dad's voice took a serious tone. "Who is she?"

Not letting the lady out of my sight I asked, "What's your name?"

"Tell him Tris says hello."

"Dad, she said…"

"I heard her, T.J." After a slight pause he continued. "Put her on."

I held out the cell to Tris and she took it with a knowing smile. "Hello Dominic."

I couldn't quite make out what Dad was saying, but it was somewhat loud and seemingly angry.

"He's eighteen today, and I have agreed to your demands for thirteen years, Dominic. Today he will know of his heritage."

She flipped the phone closed and handed it back. "Your father will be returning home shortly. Perhaps we should go inside and I will explain. He will confirm my story upon his arrival."

At this point I was starting to feel a touch exasperated. "Who are you?"

She eyed me critically for a moment before answering. "I'm your mother."

Okay, of all the things she could have said that was probably near the bottom of the list. The one topic I didn't put up with was discussion about my mother, who left when I was five years old. It was a very sore spot where I was concerned.

My equipment bag dropped to the ground by my side. "I think you need to leave."

"Thales, it was not my choice to leave you with your father."

I dropped the cell phone on top of the equipment bag. "Lady, you're like twenty-five -- that would make you what… seven years old and also make my father a child molester when I was conceived. Now, what part of 'leave' do you not understand?" My fists clinched. I'd never hit a girl before, but this lady was really starting to piss me off. "Get out or I will throw you out."

Her eyebrows rose slightly as she took in my aggressive posture. "You can try, but I will not leave until I tell my…"

I was going to be good. I wasn't going to hit her, but I sure as hell wasn't going to listen to her bull any longer. I stepped forward and made a grab for her arm so that I could drag her out if need be. She grabbed my wrist and stopped me dead in my tracks. Her grip was like steel and for the life of me I couldn't budge my arm.

Now from the look of her I would say that she was well muscled for a girl. Definitely toned and defined, but she wasn't in the weightlifter category. I however was. I've been tested for steroids so many times that I should really invest in the company that makes those little plastic cups to pee in. I never touch drugs. I had a career to think of. So you can see my confusion.

I struggled for a moment and then decided the only way to break free was to throw her off balance. I twisted into her, spinning around and pulled on her arm to throw her over my shoulder. There was grass to the side. She shouldn't be hurt, but it would knock the wind out of her for sure. What I didn't expect was for nothing to happen. She didn't budge and I was putting my weight into it.

I'm not a light guy. At six-two in height I weigh about two-ten, and most of that is muscle.

Her grip shifted and she pushed at my back, twisting my arm back and behind me, trapping it between my shoulder blades. Well hell.

"Thales, I have no wish to harm you. I will say my piece, have your father confirm my story, and if you still wish my absence then I will leave."

How embarrassing is it to be held like this by a girl. I'm so glad Marcus isn't here to see this; I'd never hear the end of it. "Let go of my arm."

"Are you going to behave?"

I sighed in frustration and replied through gritted teeth. "Yes."

As soon as I surrendered she released my wrist. Shame ran its way straight to my face. It was burning with embarrassment from submitting to a girl so easily. Don't get me wrong. I'm not one of those guys that think men are better than women. I'm not. But I do realize the physical superiority we possess, for the most part. Of course all the strength in the world can be turned by proper leverage.

I grabbed my bag and phone before turning to the door and unlocking it leading the way into the kitchen. I really didn't want the lady… Tris, to see my face until I cooled down. It's bad enough being handled like she handled me, but I sure as heck didn't have to like it, or even acknowledge it. After dropping my bag by the breakfast table I made my way into the living room and found a solitary armchair to ensconce myself in while I waited for Dad to get home and kick the lady out.

"I see you've inherited my temper."

I glanced up at her as she hovered for a moment. "I agreed to listen to your story, not any snide commentary."

She nodded once to me, almost formally. "So you did." She looked around the room and chose the twin to my chair. After making herself comfortable she began. "What has your father told you about me?"

I gave her my most disbelieving look. "Lady, you can't be my mother. You're too young, so get over yourself."

She sighed with a somewhat familiar gesture. "Very well. Tell me what you know about Amazons."

That kind of threw me off guard, but I shrugged my shoulders slightly. "WNBA team out of…"

"Not the basketball team," she almost snapped. "The real Amazons."

I looked from side to side for the hidden camera. "You mean like Wonder Woman, Themiscrya, invisible jets? Yeah I saw the TV show."

"Hades, child! Has your father taught you nothing?"

I leaned forward and laced my fingers together with a stoic look on my face. "Yeah, he sure has. Dad taught me that family was everything. That you never abandon your kid to go off and live the good life traveling around the world like my mother did to me."

Not that she was my mother, but if she thought she was then that should put a nice dig into her craw. I noticed it actually did. It was like she deflated before me. I felt almost proud of myself. Granted it wasn't an arm lock like she had me under only minutes ago, but it was nearly as satisfying.

"It wasn't my choice."

I leaned back in the chair, lifting one of my legs to hang over the arm. "And now we're back to the whole, 'you're too young to be my mom' thing. Seriously, you should seek professional help."

"Do you believe in magic, Thales?"

I shifted my eyes to her. "You mean that Faerie stuff that was on TV in February? Let me guess, you're actually a Faerie? There's a problem there, lady. You're white. Faeries aren't any human colors."

That took the world off guard. The appearance of some hot little blue Faerie Queen on TV. She said that that magic was real, and she proved it. Now people across the state were turning colors over night, growing wings, you name it. It was a really interesting time to live in, at the moment anyway.

She shook her head dismissively. "There are other kinds of magic."

I tied all the pieces together from the information she had provided. "So, you're a magical Amazon from Greek history." My mind wandered into silliness. "You're probably cursed to be immortal and I'm your love-child from a drunken night with Dad."

She didn't laugh or even get mad. She just simply said, "I'm not able to become drunk."

My eyes hooded over in a leer of disbelief. "Uh… right. Is story time done, 'cause I'm getting kind of hungry." With that announcement I heard the squeal of tires on the driveway and knew Dad was home. "Times up. Dad's here."

She didn't move, didn't twitch in the slightest, but instead sat there until the backdoor slammed open and the sound of my father's quick footfalls entered the room.

I was already to my feet and watching Dad when he saw me. His attention moved to the psycho lady and his face fell the second he laid eyes upon her.

She gracefully stood and faced Dad. That Mona Lisa smile was back from earlier before she broke the silence. "Hello Dominic."

I wouldn't say Dad looked like he was afraid, but it wouldn't be far from the truth. He was twitchy. I could see small beads of sweat forming on his upper brow and the way he gripped his keys in his right hand let me know that they might be cutting into his palm and fingers. That left me with a strong feeling of unease in my stomach. His eyes darted back to me, and I could tell he was trying to figure out exactly how much she had already told me. He might as well have it written on his forehead. What I couldn't figure out was, why would he care? She was obviously off her rocker.

"Dad? You know this lady?"

He didn't answer right away; instead, he looked back at her.

"I've already told him about me, Dominic. However, for some reason he doesn't believe a word of what I have to say." Her eyes narrowed in anger. "The agreement was that you would inform Thales of my whereabouts and not leave him totally clueless."

That uneasiness in my stomach? It was starting to turn into a knot.

Dad broke his silence, but only with a whisper. "Tris."

"Dad?"

He looked at me once more.

"Would you like to join us, Dominic?"

My attention jumped to the Tris woman. Then I knew -- she was telling the truth.

All the strength dropped out of my legs, and I abruptly sat down. Dad moved to the couch and set his keys on the coffee table before sitting. His elbow moved to the arm and his hand to his mouth as if in silent contemplation.

"As I said before, Thales, I am your mother." I hadn't noticed Tris had resumed her seat until my eyes found hers again. There was sympathy in her face and features. "Contrary to what my appearance may show, I am much older than you realize."

"You're immortal?" It slipped from my mouth.

She smiled at me. "No, far from it. I was born in 1929. Due to my unique condition I only appear not to age. In truth, I probably have about twenty more years to live. I'll have this same body, hold this same appearance until my last year of life. Then I will slowly age over the course of a single year until I die."

My eyes darted between my father and Tris. "Why are you telling me this? Why are you even here?"

"For the simple fact that you are my sole heir, and I do not plan to have another child." She paused for a moment, in thought, before continuing. "I am the last of the Amazon race, Thales. Each woman bares almost entirely female children to pass on to future generations. Over the last thousand years we have slowly but surely been killed off without having a child."

My rational mind was taking this in… this unbelievable amount of bullshit, but my heart was still telling me this was the truth, to believe her.

"When your father and I met about nineteen years ago he knew what I was. He had witnessed a fight and saw the truth. He was the first male I had come across, in all my years that I felt comfortable with. We married and shortly thereafter I was pregnant with you."

I felt I had to interject the obvious. "But I'm not a girl."

That brought a smile to her face. "Very true." She leaned back in the armchair and crossed her legs. "The reason I am here today is not to force myself back into your life, Thales. It is because of your potential offspring." She paused dramatically. "If you were to have a female child in the future, she too would carry the potential to become an Amazon. I came so that you would be prepared for that possibility and be able to guide her to her destiny."

She must have seen something in my face at that announcement because she amended her statement. "I'd also like to have the chance to get to know you, if you are willing."

I ducked my head and looked out of the corner of my eye at my father who hadn't moved a muscle during the entire conversation. He was staring, almost comatose out the front window.

"Why did you leave?"

At the end of my question my father closed his eyes. I could see that it pained him.

"When you turned five," she paused. "The very day, our family came under attack."

I looked back up at her. "You mentioned people dying and now we were attacked? Can't the cops do anything?"

Tris' lips firmed in a grim smile. "The police, or for that matter any law enforcement, would not be able to handle the Scourge."

At my questioning look she continued. "The Scourge are a race of creatures whose sole purpose is to wipe out the Amazon nation and instill a male dominated society. Think about women living as they did in the Middle Ages or even the nineteenth century. They were little more than slaves to men, Thales. It was their doing."

I gave her a look of disbelief, so she pushed on with her point. "The Greek god Ares is their leader and ironically enough the father of the Amazons. It is the way he gains power, through aggression. The more aggression on Earth, the more powerful he becomes. Having males solely in power creates aggression."

I was caught off guard again. It just wasn't my day. "You mean the Greek gods…"

Tris nodded. "They are alive and well, Thales. They are nowhere near as powerful as they were but they are every bit as cunning, jealous, incestuous, and determined."

Sitting there trying to contemplate what she was telling me, Tris continued with her tale. "Our family came under attack and I destroyed them, but while doing so you were almost killed."

This was the first time that I had seen her falter. Her voice dropped in tone and she appeared distraught. "Dominic thought it best for me to separate myself, to leave our family until such time as I could guarantee your safety. In good faith, I couldn't disagree." She looked up at me and I could see tears pooling in her eyes. "You were the center of the world to me, my son. I couldn't bear to see you injured or put in jeopardy, so I left."

With a deep breath she pushed on. "I went on a one woman crusade to annihilate every last Scourge left on the planet, so that I could have my family back. I hunted for years: killing, burning, destroying… all of them."

"Did you?" I asked almost eagerly.

Tris shook her head in defeat. "The vermin breed like rabbits, and I am but one Amazon alone. I did thin out the power structure, destroyed their idols of worship so that Ares is all but lost to them. But still the sides are too unbalanced."

"You need more Amazons," I said plainly.

She smiled at me softly. "It is one of the reasons I married your father. I had hoped to bear a daughter, so that she would take up the mantle of warrior and leave me to have more children, to build our numbers back up again in my remaining years."

It was then that I realized how much of a disappointment that I must have been. Tris immediately saw my expression and put an end to that thought.

"Thales, It is true when you were born that I foresaw the end, at least for a time of the Amazons, but I was just as happy seeing you. It didn't matter to me that you were… are, male. I loved you just as much. You are my son," she said with much pride in her voice. "I have watched you grow into a man, and I could not be more proud of you than I already am."

She rose from her chair and knelt in front of me. "There is still time. You can father many healthy daughters and they can carry on. I am not worried about that." Her tongue darted out and licked her lips before she continued. "What I am worried about is whether or not you can forgive me for leaving you without a mother. I tried my best, Thales, but I could not return without putting you and your father at risk."

I saw the pain in her eyes, the fear of rejection, and I couldn't let my resentment, nursed over thirteen years, live any longer. Wrapping my arms around her, I drew her face beside mine and forgave her.

~O~

The following week was probably the best of my life. Dad finally came out of his funk and was very happy to hear about the try out offers from the Majors. I, of course being a life long Missiles fan, chose to stay with the home team, if they'd have me. Being a hometown boy, born and bred, worked in my favor and I'd have a try out in less than a week.

Mom, or Mother as she wanted me to call her, showed me her own training facility about twenty miles outside of town, in the country. Her base of operations, chosen for its location because of its nearness to me, was state of the art. Apparently being the sole remaining Amazon in existence was profitable. Looking around the estate I was astounded at the amount of ancient artwork that had been collected over the years.

Initially she had sold off a few pieces and then invested the money so that she wouldn't have to deplete the collection in the future.

The Training facility itself was a very large workout room, shooting range equipped for bow and arrow, lance, javelin, and firearms, but it look like they had been used in a while. It did have an armory of sorts. It was more of a museum of forgotten bladed weapons.

"These are the weapons of our fallen warriors… those that could be recovered, that is."

Hundreds of swords lined the wall of all shapes, sizes, and designs. It was humbling to see that there were so many weapons of warriors that once were living breathing, loving, people, all united under one cause. The scariest part was that I saw room for just one more.

I turned to my mother and her grim look had returned. With a single nod she reached over her shoulder and withdrew her own sword. At first I was stunned, because I knew for a fact that she wasn't wearing it a minute before. She held it out to me with it laying flat across her palms.

"You may look, but you cannot touch, Thales. No male may handle an Amazon's weapon lest it turn against him."

"It's beautiful," was all I could say. I didn't know jack about swords, but the one thing that I did generally know was that they came in at least two parts: the blade and the hilt. But this one didn't. It was a single piece, all metal, and it didn't have a single blemish on the blade.

I looked up to her and smiled in appreciation.

"If you would…" she paused, letting me know that this was a serious subject for her. "When I fall in battle or when I die of age, have this placed on the empty pegs."

I resolutely nodded. "I promise."

She graced me with a smile of thanks. "Remember that you can't touch it yourself. You will need a female along with you."

My brow crinkled in wonder. "What would happen?"

She sheathed the weapon and shrugged. "I have seen many men fall victim to its magic. The Scourge would die instantly. But for humans, a transformation would occur, and from what I have seen of your life I know you have no desire to become a woman."

I almost stepped backward, away from my mother, and then I realized that I was stepping into the collection of weapons displayed on the wall. I caught myself at the last second and laughed at my twitchiness.

"Have no fear, Thales," she almost giggled. You have to take up the weapon knowingly. It has to be of your own free will." Holding her hand out in a gesture toward the exit she continued. "I could hold you down and place the hilt in your hand and nothing would happen to you if you didn't accept the sword."

A thought inserted itself into my mind. "Did the guys that picked it up turn into Amazons? Because that would be a way to repopulate the ranks. Just get willing guys. I know there are tons of guys that want to be girls out there."

She shook her head in the negative. "They would have to be of Amazon heritage. You for instance would become female and an Amazon, for you are of my blood."

I stopped short of the door and looked at her. There wasn't an expectant look on her face. I knew she didn't tell me that in hopes that I would take her up on her offer. "I'm sorry."

"Whatever for, Thales?"

"For not being a girl, or for at least not being gay or something. Then I could help you."

She was amused in a proud sort of manner. Leaning into me she took me in her arms and pulled my head to her shoulder. "You have nothing to be sorry for, my beloved son. I am so very proud of you and what you have made of your life. You are kind and thoughtful. Everything that I wanted from a child of mine."

After the hug she drew back and held me at arms length. "I tell you all of this so that you may pass it on to your children in hopes of reawakening my legacy. When you have a daughter. You will bring her here and allow her the choice of taking up my sword. That is all I ask."

With a whimsical smile she led me out of the armory to other portions of the estate. "Now come. I have much to show you."

~O~

Even at the tender age of eighteen I had made a promise to myself. I had no trouble believing that I would want many children. Not for the sole reason of having a girl and hoping she would choose to take up the family business, so to speak, but to pass on the love of my family. To let them know that they are as loved as I was. My father gave up his own happiness so that I would be safe, as did my mother. She took on the world to be by my side. I could do no less for my own children.

Mature for a teenager, you may think. Well, I challenge you to not feel this way when you have lived my life.

At my age, I have everything a man could want in life. Wealthy enough to do as I please, prospects for a career most men dream about, a loving family, and a pretty girlfriend. Now that I have my mother back, I have the perfect life. I love my life.

~O~

"Dude, what is up with you?" Marcus said as we walked out of Calculus together.

I gave him a wondering look. "Huh?"

"You look like you just got laid."

I grinned. "I'm happy, man. Jessica and me are hittin' the theater tonight. I think she's the one."

"The one?" he mocked in astonishment. "What the fuck? Have you been watching Sisterhood of the Traveling Ovaries again?"

I shook my head. "Just growing up, man. There's more to life than getting laid."

He grabbed me by the arm. "Okay, that's it. I'm taking you to the nurse's office. I heard they had a new shot for pod people."

Shaking him off, I laughed. "I'm not saying I don't like getting laid. I just recognize that my life doesn't revolve around being on the hunt for the next piece of ass."

Marcus held his hand out in front of him. " I need to stop off and wash my hand, 'cause I definitely don't want whatever it is that you have."

I jerked my chin at him. "See you in Film, perv boy."

His teeth gleamed at me. "And don't you forget it."

Television and Film was my only elective for my senior year. I don't count Baseball, because Baseball isn't an elective. It's a way of life. For the couple of days we've been covering news broadcasts. Not just watching the news, but also learning what goes on behind the scenes, how news is made, the technical aspects and so forth. So whenever we come in, the TV is going at the head of the class. Today was no different.

The talking heads were yapping about the latest political blunder in Washington DC, and I cringed at having to listen to it for three days running. I threw myself in my desk and wished something would happen that was actually newsworthy for once. I got my wish and God only knows that I wished I hadn't.

"Breaking news, a FOX News Exclusive we take you to our affiliate at KTVV at the scene."

I sat up and my eyes widened at the reporter. I recognized her from the local news. Whatever it was, it was going down in our city, and from the looks of things not too far away.

"Minutes ago, the store you see behind me was the scene for a 911 call made to local police."

That was all she was able to get out because the store window exploded, showering the area with glass. The camera jarred and all we could see was blue sky. A few seconds later it righted itself and centered on something laying in the street.

"What the hell?" I wasn't the only one saying it.

Ever seen the Creature From the Black Lagoon? Well this wasn't it, but it wasn't too far off either. It was definitely human…oid, but it had two horns jutting out from its head and brown fur. If I didn't know any better I'd say it was a bad Bigfoot rip-off. A guy in a gorilla suit was almost as scary, but thin I saw something that freaked me out even worse: my mother jumping from the window with her sword out for the world to see.

"Oh Jesus, Mom."

A couple of the people standing next to me dropped their mouths open, but I didn't stay there to explain. I made for the door and Marcus was walking in.

"What?"

I pushed past. "My mom's in trouble. I gotta go."

The hallway was just empting at the sound of the last bell, but I heard running steps behind me. I glanced back and Marcus was right on my tail.

He motioned for me to open it up. "Go man, I got your back."

We busted out of the front doors and made fast tracks to my '69 Camaro. After gunning the engine I slid it into first and slammed on the gas, peeling out of the parking lot like the hounds of hell were after me. Marcus grabbed on to the dash and then quickly for his seatbelt.

I had recognized the store. It was Cafferty's on Huffington and Senate, minutes away… a minute away in my Camaro. I quickly ran through the gears until I was topping the speedometer out and redlining the tachometer.

"Grab the bats outta the back!"

I knew Marcus was scared shitless at my driving, and he'd do it to distract himself from the terror of watching the world move by in a blur. To me it was like I was out on a Sunday stroll through the park. It was the baseball game all over again. The world had slowed down for me once more, and it couldn't have come at a better time, because I was about to miss my turn.

"Hold on!"

I slammed on the brakes and fought the steering wheel not to lose control. I won in the end and fishtailed around onto Senate. Downshifting into second I punched the gas and popped the clutch, peeling out down the road. A crowd had gathered in the distance and I laid on my horn the entire way, trying my best to clear the street. People noticed and pulled others back.

I heard sirens in the distance, but they were too far away. I saw a fire truck already off the road, but ignored it. There were enough people out of the way now that I focused on what they were staring at and what I was driving into. There were two of them and Mom was fighting them both in the middle of the street.

"T.J.?" Marcus sounded wary.

"We're goin' in. Hold on!"

I laid on my horn again and increased on the gas once more. I saw Mom glance to the side and it cost her. Whatever those things were took a swipe at her midsection. Blood and flesh flew.

"MOM!"

I slammed on the brakes and barreled into both of the creatures. I ran clean over one of them and the other was tossed at least twenty feet away. I didn't bother killing the engine; it died on its own when I jumped out of the car and ran to my mother who was lying on the ground dying.

My knees screamed in pain as I slid to a stop beside her, and ripped off my t-shirt to stanch the bleeding. Her intestines were pushing through and her stomach was ripped open.

"Oh Jesus, Mom. You're gonna be okay. You're gonna be okay." I looked up at the crowd of gawkers. "Get a fucking ambulance!"

One of them yelled back. "On the way!"

Then I felt the steel grip of my mother's hand on my arm. "Thales!" she choked. Blood spat out of her mouth. "Scourge… not dead." Her face grimaced in pain I couldn't imagine."

Those creatures; they were the Scourge. I looked back at them and saw them twitching. "Marcus! Beat the shit out of those things! They're not dead!"

Turning back to my mom I saw her trying to fight the inevitable. "Ambulance is on its way, Mom. Just hold on."

She coughed and sprayed blood all over me, but still kept trying to tell me something. Her mouth was working but nothing was coming out. She was repeating the same thing over and over. I leaned in closer and heard, "Head… head…"

"Chop off their head?"

Her eyes closed in acknowledgement.

"T.J.!"

I whipped around and saw Markus whaling on the Scourge to virtually no effect. It was getting to its knees and making odd swipes at Marcus all the while. I turned back and saw my mother's eyes drop to her sword and then back up at me. I thoughtlessly reached for it and then jerked my hand back when I realized what I was about to do.

Mom just looked at me. She didn't judge me for my fear. There was only acceptance in her eyes. The next words out of her mouth I didn't need to hear. I just remembered her voice from when we said goodbye only that morning as I went to school. "I love you."

"I love you too, Mom." With a deep breath I reached out and grabbed the sword hilt. I kept my eyes locked on hers as I felt the magic course through me. It wasn't a decision I made lightly. I knew what I was throwing away. My perfect life. My one chance at happiness. But was it worth it to save my life and the lives of others in the crowd, my best friend. Was it really even a choice? Not in my eyes. My father raised me better than that, and my mother was a shining example of what was noble in women, or humankind for that matter. No it wasn't a choice. It was a duty. It was my destiny.

Lightening ran in my veins and I still stared into the eyes of my dying mother throughout it all. Fire burned me and I felt my skin and bones shift, but I wouldn't, for all the morphine in the world, let my mother die alone.

Then it was through.

Her eyes ran over my body and the slightest of smiles crossed her face before her body went slack and her eyes glazed over. She'd left me.

I set the sword down and wadded up my shirt to stick under her head. I knew she was dead, but I'll be damned twice over if I'd leave her there with her head lying on hot concrete. Reaching down for the sword again I rose to my feet and turned around with fire coming from my eyes. I wanted blood.

Marcus kept the creature at bay, still on one knee as it was trying desperately to get up. The crowd had backed away giving us plenty of room. I looked over at the one I ran over and it was on all fours using my car to pull itself up.

"Marcus, get back." My new feminine voice startled me. I sounded just like my mother.

Marcus was sweating bullets and I could tell he was on his last legs already. He must have been giving it every bit of strength he had, but he had held back enough to gaze wide-eyed at me.

"It's me."

"T.J.?"

The Scourge pulled back slightly and shot out his arm at my friend. That's when I jumped forward and swung my sword down across its arm, slicing through like it wasn't even there. It screamed, but not for long because I reared back and took its head with the next swipe.

"Look out!" yelled Marcus.

I didn't even know what I was doing when I spun to my right and slammed my fist into the second Scourge. My arm vibrated like I had punched a bag of meat, and for all intents and purposes I had. The second Scourge lifted up off its feet and flew through the air straight through the windshield of the Camaro.

I ran to the front of the car and jumped on the hood to grab its leg and pull it out. It was unconscious, but I didn't let that stop me from dropping my sword's blade through its neck and separating its head from its shoulders.

~O~

Marcus was waiting for me by the front of the car when I turned around. His eyes were still bugged out, but he stopped for a minute to pull his shirt off and hand it to me. Maybe I was still in a blood haze or something because I couldn't figure out why he was giving me his shirt until he pointed at my chest and I followed his finger to my very large, and very bare breasts.

"Oh."

I tried to find somewhere to put my sword, because I didn’t want anyone else to touch it. Marcus offered to hold it for me, but I nixed that idea. "Not unless you want to look like me."

He almost jumped back like he was burned. "No thanks."

In the end I slid it through my belt and watched as it disappeared. I still felt the weight of it there, but couldn't see it any longer. So that's how she did it.

The reminder of my mom brought my eyes back over to her body lying in the street. I quickly slid the t-shirt over my head, jumped off the car and winced at the jarring of my breasts as they bounced heavily on my chest. The ambulance had arrived, finally.

~O~

I sat there at the police station, Marcus by my side, as the Chief of Police watched the video for the fifth time.

"It's like those Faerie things," he remarked for the fifth time. It was like a broken record.

I knew I could probably escape, but there was the whole no identity thing working against me. The only proof I was who I said I was, was the tape of me changing, and Marcus' word. I glanced at my best friend and what he did for me. Knowing that I could inspire that kind of loyalty was scary. I knew that I would do the same thing for him if the roles were reversed, but still.

"I'm sorry about your mom."

I nodded, accepting his token of pity, then leaned forward resting my elbows on my knees, and my head in my heads. Black hair curtained my face, hanging down well past my knees. Growling in annoyance, I whipped it to the side and spat out a strand that got caught in my mouth.

"Jesus, how do girls deal with this?"

"Pony tail," came a feminine voice form the side.

I looked up and saw a mid-thirties detective sitting behind her desk about five feet away. She opened her drawer and pulled out what I immediately recognized as an elastic tie. I'd seen then often enough on my girlfriends. I'm not a Neanderthal. She tossed it to me and I gratefully nodded back. "Thanks."

I sat up and gathered up a handful of hair, trying my best to pull it back and secure it, but I wound up making an even bigger mess getting the elastic caught in the middle. The detective took pity on me and pulled a brush out of her purse.

"Let me help you." She motioned to me to the chair beside her desk. "Come on."

Looking over at Marcus, I watched him shrug, so I took the offered help. She turned the chair around so that the back was facing her and I sat.

"I'm Detective Bryant… Jennifer." She began managing my hair, brushing it out.

"T.J.," I returned in subtle greeting.

"Do you have a girlfriend, T.J.?"

I shrugged. "Sorta." As an afterthought I added. "Probably not anymore." Gesturing at my chest.

Feeling her tugging at my hair I heard movement at the base of my neck and felt the hair at my scalp being pulled tight. "Well maybe she can help you with your change."

I thought about it for a few seconds. "You guys are taking this… I dunno. You believe what happened way too easy."

A soft chuckle was returned. "We've seen weirder, believe me. Ever since those Faeries came out of hiding it's been one weird thing after another. You may not see it now, but the up side of this is that there is physical evidence and a number of witnesses to what happened to you."

"Yeah, lucky me," I sighed.

"Okay, now turn around here."

I spun the chair around, and she looked at the front of my hair. Opening a drawer she pulled out a pump bottle and held her hand over my eyes, spritzed a couple of times and smoothed out the errant hairs that were still hanging free.

"We've had a few Faeries pop up around town claiming to be changed from what that Queen Faerie did. Except they have no proof. So it's really difficult for them to go back to their normal lives." She tossed the hairspray back into the drawer and closed it before seriously looking at me eye to eye. "You changed in the middle of the street and you're pretty well known from playing baseball. You won't have any trouble getting new I.D. or proving who you are. They don't have that luxury."

"Did they have their mom disemboweled in front of national television?" I saw the expression on her face, mild frustration. "Yeah, I'm glad I have that luxury."

She grabbed my hand and held it between two of her own. "T.J. you have every right to be bitter. I lost my both my parents two years ago in a freak car accident. I know about bitter, believe me."

I glanced downward and then back up. "I'm sorry."

"Don't be." She gave me an understanding smile. "The way that I got through it was to say to myself, 'would Mom and Dad be proud of me acting this way?'"

There's that word again, 'proud'. I briefly castigated my self. "You're right." I tried to change the subject because I made a promise to myself not to cry and for some reason I'm having a really rough time of it. My eyes kept burning. However I choked it back. I spotted the phone on her desk and gestured. "Can I call my dad?"

Handing me the receiver she asked, "What's the number?"

~O~

Now I was worried. There wasn't an answer at home, his office, or his cell. Considering what happened you'd think that he'd be at one of the three. He always answered his cell. It wasn't like Dad to ignore me for any reason.

That's when I saw another detective standing beside me. I hung up the phone and he had pitying look on his face. "Could you come with me, please?"

I grabbed the arm of the chair and squeezed. "What happened? Is it my dad?"

"Maybe you'd like some privacy for this?" he offered.

I slowly blinked. "Just tell me."

The male detective took a small breath. "It's about your father. He was with your mother inside the store when the attack took place."

I stopped breathing and thought unthinkable thoughts. "Is he okay? Where is he?"

"One of the sales people recognized him as the first person to be attacked. I'm sorry."

The arm of the chair snapped off in my hand and I couldn't do anything but stare at it. I was on the brink of losing it entirely. Mom was dead. Dad was dead. "Do I need to…" I took a quick breath. "Do I need to…" Another breath.

"Shit," Jennifer said. "She's hyperventilating."

I felt someone put their hand on my shoulders and urge my head down between my legs. The world sort of looked gray, fading around the edges for a few moments. I don't know how long I was out of it, but I do remember hearing Marcus insisting that they could get my statement later, that he was taking me home.

~O~

When I woke up I'd like to think that the whole thing was some really screwed up nightmare, but I knew, without opening my eyes, that my life, as I knew it, was over. It was nighttime judging by the lack of sunlight coming from behind the curtains. I was in an unfamiliar room, but it was familiar all the same. Flicking on the bedside lamp I noticed a picture of me on the table. I was in my baseball uniform and in mid-swing. Staring at it led my thoughts and my eyes around the room I was occupying.

It seemed a bit effeminate for my tastes, but it was nice all the same. My toes clinched in the plush carpet when I sat up. Looking down at them the first thing I noticed was that they were smaller than normal, shorter and thinner than before. I don’t know what it struck me as odd. My second toe, which before was longer than any of my others was now uniform, shrunk.

As an afterthought I looked at my hands. Gone were the callused palms and oversized knuckles. My fingers were longer and my hand smaller than before. My nails needed cutting, but thankfully not any longer than before, as if I really cared at the moment. Why were all of these stupid thoughts running through my head? Maybe I was still in shock.

Without really thinking, I sought out the adjoining bathroom. Shrugging off my jeans, I sat on the toilet to relieve myself. After wiping up afterward I moved to the shower stall and mindlessly soaped off the dried blood still on my chest from yesterday, today -- I didn't even know how long I'd been here. Inside the stall was a small shower chair hanging on the wall, which I used to make it easier to shave the hair off of my legs. Apparently the change didn't include ridding me of some of my male attributes. A check under my arms confirmed they needed attention as well.

It wasn't until I left the shower that I realized what the hell I was doing. It was like my body was on automatic. I didn't give a crap that I had hairy legs or pits. I was a guy, or I was up until recently. It's not like I was out to score another guy or something.

Toweling off I finally saw a mirror above the sink, and I wanted, or rather I needed, to see what I looked like. With a gnawing presence in my stomach I closed my eyes before opening them again in front of the mirror. My lips parted a little. It was the change. I no longer looked like my father. The square jaw was gone, replaced with a smoother, streamlined face that came to almost a point at my chin. With the way my hairline was now shaped my face looked heart-shaped. The eyes were exactly the same as before, the same as my mother's, cerulean blue. In fact I saw a number of features that looked exactly like hers but not quite with others. There was no doubt as to who my mother was.

My eyes tracked down to the large mounds on my chest. I raised my hand to touch the left one, but held off, with a slight of self-consciousness. Turning to the side I finally saw my hair. Midnight black if there was ever a color, straight, full and long, down to my butt. It was still pulled back and tied with the elastic. I left it there not knowing what else to do.

"I need some clothes."

Turning out the light to the bathroom I searched through the drawers to one of the dressers and found some underwear. This had to be my mother's room, I decided. She had practical taste in panties and bras. There were different colors, but nothing fancy or frilly, and for that I was thankful. While I could see the need to wear a bra I didn't think I could deal with some of the lacy crap that some of my girlfriends prefer. I did notice the tag near the clasp of the bra. 40DD. Christ, I would have almost paid money to be with a girl like that. Now I'm the one people would pay money for.

Totally ignoring the lack of equipment, or rather the replacement equipment between my legs I slid up a pair of white bikini panties and a matching bra. I was already well acquainted with how they work. I'd taken more than a few off of previous girlfriends and had watched them put them on just as many times, so that wasn't an issue.

Further searching led me to a pair of jean shorts and blue tank top, which I decided was dressed down enough for my tastes. There was no hiding my body, so I didn't even try. All of the clothes that hung in the closet and in the drawers were to my mother's taste and from what I had seen of her I don't think she ever wore anything frumpy and old ladyish.

I found some crew socks and a pair of running shoes that fit me perfectly. Apparently, like mother like daughter.

At that thought I smiled and then frowned. I was a daughter now. My life was irrevocably changed. My parents were gone. I had barely gotten to know my mother and she was taken from me. My career was a memory. Even if they'd let me play as a girl, it wouldn't be long before I was banned because of my magically enhanced strength. My girlfriend was all but officially history. She wasn't a lesbian or even bisexual, and I didn't know what the hell I was at the moment. Sex didn't even play a single part in my thoughts.

From what Detective Jennifer said, I'd at least have my identity. I suppose I could still be T.J. or even Thales. It was gender neutral enough. However I wouldn't really have my identity where it actually counted. I was a brand-new person with no clue as to how I was supposed to live my life.

Stupid thoughts ran through my head. Insignificant thoughts, in relation to the death of my parents. I'd have to use the girls bathroom, sit down to pee. Jesus, I already had! I didn't even think of it at the time, but it was like I was already indoctrinated to being female.

A snapshot of my nude body and face in the mirror flashed in my mind. Guys would be hitting on me. Looking down at my now smooth legs I noted how long they were. Oh yeah. Guys would be all over me. The thought made me nauseous.

I grabbed at my stomach and felt it cramp, and then cringed at the next thought. No. Nononononono. God, please no.

My breathing quickened and I felt light-headed again. I fell back on the bed and waited it out, slowing my breathing until it passed. The thought of the wall of my uterus, MY uterus for god sake, disintegrating once a month was too much. I had to put it out of my head. It was just too female for me to consider at this point. Later. Much later; maybe next year or something.

I had to get my mind on something else.

~O~

Marcus was snug in a recliner with a green afghan covering him when I came downstairs. The TV was tuned to ESPN and the volume almost muted. Leaving him there I went down the hallway to where I knew my mother kept her computer. She had told me only three days prior that if anything were to happen to her that she had left me a message. It was almost like she knew what was going to happen. Like she saw the end was near and made preparations. However, looking at the life she had led, as a whole, it seemed the appropriate thing to do.

I opened up her laptop and hit the power button. Seating myself in the chair, I noticed that I had subconsciously crossed my legs, feminine-like. Closing my eyes, I took a deep breath and released it before opening them again.

Finding the folder on the desktop was easy enough. It was titled with my name. Clicking on it opened a sub-folder that contained a number of documents with various, ominous titles as well, which I'll go into later. The one I was concerned with for now was the one listed as 'In the Event of My Death.'

It was also a folder that split apart to two choices: Male or Female. I blinked at that and almost chose Male, but moved the cursor to Female instead. I could always choose the other later to see what differed. The screen blanked and then reset itself. I almost thought I did something wrong until I saw that I was left with the opened 'Female' file.

The word processor opened automatically and a letter appeared before me.

Dearest Thales,

I write this letter to you in anticipation that you have taken up my sword for one reason or another. You now know that I spoke true about its effects on your body. I wish I could see you, my daughter. It was my dearest wish to behold my successor before my death. If I did receive a chance to see you then you will know I died a happy and contented mother, no matter the cause of my death, age or battle.

You must have several questions and I hope to have anticipated most of them. Within this computer I have set a series of documents on everything I could think of to ensure a smooth transition to womanhood. When I wasn't actively doing my best to destroy the Scourge I was sitting here trying to make sure you did not regret your choice. Partake of my knowledge, my daughter.

Know that I have always loved you and wanted the best for you. I wanted you to be happy, but as the last of the Amazons you have a duty to fulfill, as did I. It is not a bad life, my daughter. You will be forever young for a hundred years, never aging until the last is upon you, and your children and their children hopefully surround you.

I am so very proud of you for the decision you have made.

With unending love,

Thalestris

I blinked away the tears that were washing down my cheeks and noticed how she signed her name. Thalestris. She called herself Tris, and the beginning of her name was obviously my name. How foretelling.

There was a link underneath the signature labeled Artemis, which I clicked on. Another document appeared, replacing the letter she left me.


As you have seen my Amazon name I shall give you a very brief history about how it was obtained. Thalestris was the last known queen of the Amazons before we were decimated as a race. Artemis, our patron goddess bestowed it upon my entry into adulthood as she will bestow you with a similar name when you contact her. Every Amazon must go forth to her altar and summon the Lady on their eighteenth birthday. At that time she will receive her weapon or if, as in your case, you have my sword then it will be blessed upon you.

Do not, under any circumstances, dishonor the goddess. If you know anything about Greek Mythology then you will know that Artemis is a very fickle Olympian. Be truthful to her and do not let any remnants of your male ego enter her temple. If you please her then she will give you a name of her choosing and bless your sword for battle. This is very important, my daughter. Within a week, the sword you hold will lose its magical properties and will become a simple sword. To do battle with the Scourge you must have the proper weapons for they are difficult to kill if you do not.

Proceed to the instructions below and perform the ritual.

My blessings to you, my daughter.

I looked over the entry and it seemed simple enough. The problem was that I didn't know if I wanted to see it through. Believe it or not, I really don't think of myself as an Amazon. I'm a guy, shaved legs or no shaved legs. This morning I was thinking of nothing else a little fantasy about dating Jessica Whitworth, fathering a dozen kids, and writing my speech for my Cy Young award after my rookie season in the Major League. Does that sound like something a girl does? No, it doesn't.

Now I have breasts, no dick, and I'm strong as the Terminator. Additionally, my parents are now dead. Killed by some stupid misogynistic race of creatures hell bent on killing me as well.

So given that last little tidbit it really only leaves me one decision: Die or become a mythic female warrior. I guess the choice wasn't so hard to make after all.

"Dude?"

I spun my chair around and saw Marcus at the door. "Hey."

"How you feeling?" he asked.

I shrugged a little. "Fine, I guess."

His eyes roamed the computer room before falling back to me. He was dressed in different clothes than before, which really made me wonder how long I had been out of it.

"How long's it been since…"

Picking up on my question he answered. "Yesterday. You gave me directions here. I made sure you were set up and passed out in bed. I went home to shower and change. Been in the living room ever since."

I kind of gaped at him when he told me I'd been lucid enough to direct him to my mother's house. I didn't remember anything after the police station. "Thanks Marcus. I don't know what I would have done if you didn't come along to help."

One thing I did notice about my best friend was his complete lack of joking around. We had exactly the same set of personalities. That's why we got along so well. It's why we'd been best friends since we were ten years old. I couldn't get why he hadn't so much as leered in my direction, or made a joke about me having tits. Something to lighten the mood was normal around him. Maybe he had some clue as to the seriousness of the situation.

He just nodded at my thanks, not really saying anything else. He had to have questions. I motioned to an empty chair and he pulled it out before spinning it around and straddling the seat.

"Is this where you tell me that you've been a girl all this time and you wanted my body for years?"

I laughed. There was my best friend.

"No, I'm a guy, or rather I was a guy until yesterday."

He cocked his head slightly in question.

"My mom was an Amazon."

Now he looked surprised. "No shit? Like Wonder Woman?"

See how much we think alike?

I nodded. "She was the last one. When those things jumped her and …" I closed my eyes for a second and pictured the swipe of claws that sealed her fate I continued. "She told me that the only way to kill them was to cut off their heads. Her sword was the only thing available, so it was either see those things kill you, me, and everyone else around or pick up her sword and do it myself."

"And the sword turns dudes into Amazons," he extrapolated.

I shook my head. "It turned 'me' into an Amazon. It would just turn you into a normal girl. It only works for me because I was her son. You can't ever touch my sword unless…"

He took the hint. "Nooo problem."

I looked behind him to the steel door along the wall. From the instructions on the computer, that was where I would find my mother's temple to Artemis. "And now I get to go meet with my goddess."

"Excuse me?"

He was my friend and I had virtually no secrets from him, except for that time when I had sex with his older sister, and wild horses would never drag that tale from between my lips. His sister and I flirted all the time, until one day when I called her on it. Either put up or shut up. I was really tired of walking around with a hard on every time I went over to their house. Enough said. But the problem was that her parents are hardcore 'Black Power' people. Reverse racists in my opinion. No white boy would ever be good enough for their Nubian princess. Whatever.

So that little secret was between us, not even for Marcus. I promised her. Oh, by the way. I rocked her freakin' world. Just thought I'd let you know that.

"What do you know about Greek Mythology?"

He looked aside momentarily while he pulled up his English class literature out of the cobwebs of his mind. "Um, Zeus, Olympus, that shit?"

I nodded. "You remember Artemis?"

"War goddess?"

I shook my head. "Goddess of the hunt, twin sister to Apollo. There's other things too, but where it concerns me is that she's the patron goddess of Amazons. I have to go meet her now."

Marcus' jaw unhinged. "You're shittin' me. That stuff's for real?"

"Yep." I stood and gave him a look. "Would you come with me?"

After a moment of hesitation he answered. "Like I said before, I got your back, man… uh, you know what I mean."

I felt my eyes well up and start to burn. Dammit. I gave myself a cleansing breath and quashed the crying bit for another time. My hands went to my hips and I felt the sword hilt. Yeah, I know that it should be on the floor with my jeans, upstairs, but it was still by my side for some really magical, illogical reason. With a single pull I made it appear and dropped the blade to my side so as not to make Marcus nervous. It didn't work. After all the freaky things he has seen in the last twenty-four hours, a magical blade appearing out of thin air still freaked him out.

Three steps and I was at the door, pushing down on the big metal latch and pulling with a good portion of my strength. It'd take more than a few guys throwing their entire weight on the thing to budge it so it was relatively secure.

In the middle of the circular room stood a white marble statue of a woman holding her hands out, palms up. She wore a short toga, of sorts, and I saw a bow slung around her back with a quiver of arrows over her left shoulder. In front of the statue was a small padded mat, big enough for someone to sit or kneel on. I'm guessing for this ritual, at some point, it'll be kneeling.

Looking over my shoulder I gave Marcus a warning. "Stand by the door, just in case." He nodded and watched as I found a box of matches and lit bowls of oil set in five equidistant places around the room. Next was the part I wasn't so happy about.

I stood in front of the statue and turned the back of my arm upward. Bringing up my sword, I barely laid the blade on my skin, enough to draw blood, and then performed the same action to the other. After laying the sword at the statue's feet I stretched out my arms and placed the wounded portion in either hand of the statue.

"Goddess Artemis. It is time."

At first I thought that I looked ridiculous. Nothing happened. Then the statue's hand grasped my wrists, and I saw her eyes open. Not the unseeing eyes of the white marble, but human eyes and much more. Whereas humans have single colored, she had three. Gold, violet, and green swirled, intermixed among the others. It was mesmerizing.

"Thales, daughter of Thalestris. I did not think I would be seeing you at this altar."

I goggled in shock. Her lips did not move. I only heard her voice in my heard and it was the most beautiful thing I could imagine. I opened my mouth to respond, but was rebuffed.

"Silence, Thales. There is a man-child in my presence. Speak only with your thoughts."


"He is my friend, Goddess."

One of her eyebrows arched. "Indeed?" She looked Marcus over like a horse at market. "Shall I turn him into a daughter as well."

"Please no, Goddess. He helped me yesterday. He stalled the Scourge long enough for me to obtain my mother's sword. He put his life on the line to save me."

Her tri-colored eyes returned to mine. "Yes, I'd heard the last of my Amazons had finally passed."

Releasing my arms I dropped to my knees in front of her. Not really to worship her, but from the sudden fatigue I felt. I heard Marcus' footsteps behind me. I wanted to turn and warn him away, but I couldn't even gather up enough strength to do that. My friend was beside me in an instant glaring angrily at Artemis.

"What did you do to her!" he snapped.

"He has a fire in him to protect you, Thales. Regrettably, he is a man-child."

Marcus started to scoop me up into his arms when some of my strength returned, at least enough to speak properly. "Marcus, wait."

He looked at me with concern on his face. "Are you sure, T.J.?"

I nodded and he helped me to my feet.

"Has he taken your maidenhead Thales?" Her eyes tracked down to my abdomen and a bit lower. "No, I see he has not. But then you have only been my daughter for less than a day."

She turned and stepped off the pedestal, looking as if she were pondering. "I have a question for you Thales, daughter of Thalestris." Without waiting for my acknowledgement she asked. "Why do you want to be an Amazon? Why would you give up your male body for this life, willingly?"

My head cleared and I felt somewhat normal again. I looked up at her and kept my lips firmly closed. "My mother gave up everything for me, because she hoped to destroy the Scourge and come home to be with me. Then when she admitted being unable to do so she came back anyway. She loved me, and I loved her. I have virtually nothing left of my old life. It's my duty to avenge her death, to end the Scourge one and for all, with your aid and my friends I will do so. I will bring victory back to the Amazons or die trying."

She turned back to me, clasping her arms behind her. "Brave words, daughter. Can you truly devote yourself to this task? Your mother could not."

Heat rose to my face. "She tried for her entire life! There's only so much one unaided person can do."

"Her attention was on you, daughter. Her only thoughts were for you. Yes, she accomplished much. She hurt the Scourge. Ares rages that one woman destroyed so many of his sons, but she had other things on her mind."

Her eyes moved to Marcus. "He hates me you know. His love for you is already blossoming."

My eyes widened at this.

"Oh, he doesn't know it yet, but he will. Today he wants to protect you, tomorrow he will want between your legs, to make you laden with his child, to warm his bed on cold winter nights. What will you do then, vengeance seeker? What will you do when you are bound to him with several children and the Scourge comes to your home to take you from his bed, lover of victory?"

I was still stunned, forgetting to think my answer and vocally said, "No man will take me."

Her eyes snapped to me and I could feel them boring into my soul. "Really, daughter? A vow of celibacy?"

It was then that I actually heard her voice with my ears. From Marcus' hand at my waist I knew he had heard her as well.

"Do you hear that, Protector? Do you bear witness that until the Scourge are defeated, until every last one of them are beheaded, you will not enter my daughter?"

Now Marcus was boggled. "Uh yeah, sure."

"Intriguing." She looked down at the floor in contemplation once again. "Very well, you will have my aid, daughter. Come, kneel before the altar and receive my gifts."

Marcus let me go but stayed near. I knelt on the mat and Artemis sat down on the altar, crossing her legs. "Your wrists, daughter."

I held them up to her and she grasped them. A burning sensation drove deep, almost into the bone. I wanted to pull back, but knew if I did then I would be rejected, so I endured. A moment later and I was gazing at two pieces of metal, one encasing each of my forearms, from wrist to elbow.

"This is to remind you of your servitude to me." She looked down at my mother's sword. "Your weapon."

I lifted it up into her waiting hands. She grasped the hilt and brought the blade to her lips, kissing it lightly. "The strength of your weapon has been renewed, to remind you of your duty to me."

A naughty smile graced her lips. "Stand daughter." When I did, she took my head in her hands, turning it from side to side kissing my ears, my eyes, my nose and finally my lips. She seemed to take a little longer on the mouth than anyplace else. She inched away from me slightly, enough to where I could actually focus on her eyes. "Is it vengeance or victory you seek most, daughter? Hmm?"

I truly didn't know. I wanted both equally as much.

"Delicious, you cannot choose. Then you shall be known as an Amazon as you were known as a man: Veronica, she who brings victory. And you shall be known to Ares and the Scourge as the namesake of the goddess of Vengeful Fate, the Remorseless, Nemesis." Her eyes hardened. "You will go and slaughter their ranks. You will show no mercy, as they have shown none to my Amazons. And as a gift to aid you in your quest, for every ten Scourge you destroy I will grant you a new awakening, the power to bestow upon a person of your choosing the gift of sisterhood."

I felt a surge of triumph with the last offering. The Amazons will live again! "How will I find them Goddess?"

Her eyes drifted to Marcus. "Marcus Latrelle, my daughter honors you with the titles Protector and Friend. Are you such?"

Marcus seemed to almost puff out his chest a little. "Yes."

"Will you be so in the future?"

I turned to Marcus and gave him a warning look. He looked back at me. Regardless whether we were born of two races, two different families, and now two different sexes he was still my best friend, my brother, and now I was his sister.

"I said I got your back and I meant it." He looked at Artemis. "Yes."

She still took a measure of him. "A weapon, daughter. Go -- fetch it for me. An axe I believe."

An uneasy feeling came over me while I looked between Marcus and the Goddess, but I left, running as fast as my feet could take me. Down the stairs I ran, three at a time with perfect clarity and agility until I ran into the armory and let my eyes run, instead, over the weapons until I found a double bladed axe amongst the plethora of blades. Lifting it from its pegs on the wall I ran just as fast back to the small temple as I feared the worst. I silently prayed she didn't turn my best friend into a woman as well; not after everything he did for me.

Back up the stairs I ran and then down the hall until I slammed open the door to the computer room and saw them both standing there as before, unchanged. My eyes darted back and forth between the two, knowing they were sparring mentally as Artemis and I did at the start.

Without any fanfare Artemis took the proffered battle-axe and brought it to her lips. "Marcus Latrelle, do your swear fealty, your allegiance, to Veronica, to protect her from harm with your dying breath."

"What -- no!" I protested.

Marcus looked at me. "It's not your choice. It's mine, and it's the right thing to do." He looked back to Artemis. "I do."

"Do you accept the terms that we discussed?'

I felt powerless as I looked back and forth between them.

"I do."

She handed him the axe and his hand stuttered a second in remembrance of what happened to me before taking it. I waited for the change to take effect, but it never did.

"Veronica," Artemis called to me as she ascended her altar. "Do not make me regret my decision. You have a promise to fulfill. I give you six moons to prepare and then you begin your mission. If you complete your mission you will receive your reward." Her eyes moved to Marcus. "Remember your oath, Protector."

With that her body turned to white marble once more.

"What did you do?"

Marcus smirked at me. "I know not what you mean, Lady Veronica."

I gasped. "What the hell did she do to you?"

Apparently he couldn't keep up the act and broke up laughing. "I'm just jerkin' your chain, T.J." He swung his axe over his head and then down in an arc. "Is this thing cool or what?"

"I hate you. Seriously, what did you promise?"

He shrugged. "That I'd be your friend and protector. I already do that. What could it hurt to have an awesome axe to actually do it with?"

I narrowed my eyes at him. He was hiding something. "What else?" When he didn't answer right away I leaned in somewhat threateningly. "Marcus…"

"I said I wouldn't bone you, okay?" He barked out a laugh. "Like I'd have sex with my best friend anyway. I mean you were a dude yesterday! Easy promises to keep, my sister."

He wrapped an arm around my shoulders, and led me out of the room. "Now you gotta hook me up with that invisible thing you got goin' on, hiding your blade."

~O~

Six moons, a little under six months, and then we leave.

Marcus doesn't sleep anymore… ever. He's always close by. I don't need his protection, and I can still kick his ass, but he wants to be there for me.

Friends till the end.

(to be continued)

Photo Credit: Found at the following link:
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t279/Aiko-one-of-the-seve...

up
198 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Fun and Confusion

Excellent as always but I am confused - where is the story where the Faerie reveal themselves? I don't remember it from any of the ones I have read on this site and also why is this one not linked with the other stories you have posted here?

The nature of Monkey is - Irrepressible!!!

The nature of Monkey is - Irrepressible!!!

FQ3

The FQ stories are not liked directly, because this is not an FQ story. Just in the same universe. Did I just confuse everyone? LOL.

FQ3 has not been released as of yet, because the big honkin thing is not finished, but I left a little bit of it in here as a teaser to the third story. It's a novel length story in itself.

There won't be anything further (like Veronica hooking up with Shaylee) but there might be a mention of Faeries somewhere else. Nothing important.

http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Great Story

I loved this story and cant wait for the next part. Once I started reading, I couldn't stop.

TY!

Thank you Danielle!

It's a two part story, but I might split it into three depending on how long-winded I am.

http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Ares Bane

littlerocksilver's picture

Wow! I am going to love this story. There is so much potential here. :) Portia

Portia

Another Masterpiece

Another Masterpiece Lil

>>>>>I'm a new soul.I came to this strange world.Hoping I could learn a bit bout how to give and take.<<<<<

>>>>>I'm a new soul.I came to this strange world.Hoping I could learn a bit bout how to give and take.<<<<<

The next Part.

The second part of the story will be dealing with Veronica's adjustment to being female, finishing school, training, and the Marcus/Veronica relationship or non-relationship, as the case my be. Basically, the following six months.

I'm hoping to bring a new dimension to the "how can I accept being turned into a girl" cliche. We'll see how well I can pull it off in the next part.

Thanks!
http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Ares Bane

terrynaut's picture

So far, so good, Lili. You've molded the Amazons into something uniquely yours.

I love the story. The gender change was perfect: voluntary but not wanted. I can't wait to see how Veronica handles herself.

Marcus is great. I just hope he can keep all of his promises. Artemis mentioned that she saw his love beginning to blossom for Veronica. Hmmmm.

Thanks and please keep up the good work, and please finish this! I'll check on your TG library website for your progress.

- Terry

Questions

Yes, lots of questions to be answered. Thanks Terry! I hope I'll be able to make the second part just as good.

And for others: As Terry said, I'll be updating to my blog the progress of all of my stories. Check it out. Link is below.

http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Atta Girl! >>>>>I'm a new

Atta Girl!

>>>>>I'm a new soul.I came to this strange world.Hoping I could learn a bit bout how to give and take.<<<<<

>>>>>I'm a new soul.I came to this strange world.Hoping I could learn a bit bout how to give and take.<<<<<

Great start

Great start to the story, I am looking forward to seeing this progress. It will also be interesting to see how Veronica and Marcus's relationship changes over time.

Megumi :)

Yule

Bailey's Angel
The Godmother :p

Truthfully

I can truthfully say that what I have planned for them hasn't been done in TG Fic... that I know of. I've read a lot, but not all.

http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

No cliche?

Hmm, so that means they're not going to end up together? Personally I'm hoping she ends up with her girlfriend, or one of the new Amazons! ;)

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Not tellin'

I'm not tellin' LOL!

But I didn't say they wouldn't end up together either.

http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Good!

Seriously good! Which doesn't surprise me given who the author is. Now I have to keep track of several ongoing Lilith stories. Oh, Goddess, life is so-o-o hard sometimes! ;-)

m

Damaged people are dangerous
They know they can survive

Still only three stories

The only stories I "technically" have going right now is: Do it right, Transpires, and now this one.

Everything else is completed... with the option of another story afterward. Though everyone already knows I have another FQ in the works.

But thank you for the love you keep sending my way!!

http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Batter Up

RAMI

Since Thales knew how to swing a mighty bat, shouldn't Veronica have the Ax to swing in the same way. After all she would not need to learn the new moves. ;-).

Great story, it follows a different track then most others.

RAMI

RAMI

Good point

You make a good point. But:

Veronica's choice of weapon is out of her hands as her mother passed on her sword. It's a magic thing. Additionally, she has the strength and dexterity to wield it properly.

The Axe is more suited to Marcus since he is not an Amazon and needs the extra heft of the axe to do his job. He's buff enough to use it and they have six more months to train with it.

But that will be explained more in the second part.

Thanks Rami!

http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

That's a nice touch, a

That's a nice touch, a protector that doesn't need to sleep. Does Veronica need to sleep, though?

This is another great story!

Saless

"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America


"But it is also tradition that times *must* and always do change, my friend." - Eddie Murphy, Coming To America

Hmmm

Does Veronica need sleep? Yes. She may be able to go longer without sleep. I'd say increased endurance would be part of the Amazon package, but she'd need a normal 6-8 hours ideally.

I'll get into Marcus' lack of sleep early on in part 2

(wink)

http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Stunning

I could not stop reading. Once again you have penned a delightful story. It is different from the normal TG fiction & that is why I like it. Perhaps the Faeries & Veronica can combine good magic to defeat bad magic?????

Jess

Not being able to stop

Not being able to stop reading is one of the best compliments you can give an author. Thank you very much.

Sad to say that Shaylee and Veronica will never meet. They will, however hear about each other.

Thanks Jess,

Lili

http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Hi Lili Wondered where you'd

Hi Lili

Wondered where you'd gone?...Now i know... You've been creating another mini masterpiece!

I think of all the stories that you've written so far in the FQ universe this is my favorite to date, Thales or Veronica as she now is looks to be one of the strongest characters that you've created yet, One thing is for sure she won't lack any motivation to rid the world of the Scourge...Not when she's just seen her mother murdered by them!!!

Marcus...Hmmm... Why do i feel that Veronica might not be the last Amazon for too long?

Anyway Lili its good to have another of your stories to read, Your muse knows no bounds,Hope its not too long before we are treated to another story in the FQ universe

Hugs Kirri

Speed and inspiration

This is more my normal writing speed. Unless I am undisturbed and extremely inspired as I was during the first few stories of mine, I usually post about 10-15000 words ever couple of weeks.

However every once in a while I'll get an endless stream of inspiration that I have to put down or lose. That happens about once a year. Sometimes more but usually never less than that.

With the FQ universe I just see so much potential that it opens up a lot of ideas. I just imagined a universe where all the things we were brought to think were fantasy were actually there all the time and now they are slowly being brought out into the open.

This is something that mainstream Urban Fantasy has ignored. They always assume that it's 50 years later or that everyone's always knew about magic, or it's still in the seedy underbelly where only a chosen few know about it.

It's a world where anyone can write their favorite fantasy character to life.

As you might have seen in this story (a little preview of FQ3). Shaylee has appeared in public and done something that has made some people turn into Faeries. What would it be like to be one of those?

We know the Greek gods are active now. (Poseidon Adventure) There's tons of them that I will never have the time to write about. Maybe some aspiring author might want to take up a story about one of them and add it to the universe.

I'm all about inspiring people and being inspired from them.

Think about it.

Lili

http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Better

The stories you have posted here have been uniformly excellent. You had already mode my must read list, even though I have limited time for reading. The start of this is better than most. I am wondering what the new twist on TG that you are planning. Unfortunately I’ll have to wait to find out.

Thanks for the first part.

DJ

Toast

The new twist has to do with toast... I can say no more.

I'm kidding.

It might be new or it might not. I just don't see examples of it. It might change as I write it. I just don't know at this point.

Thanks for adding me to that list. I'll try not to disappoint in the future.

http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Toast?

Do we need squirt guns and newspapers as well?

Is this planned to be another Rocky Horror Picture Show with midnight showings once they make the movie version?

Thanks for another entertaining story.

Michelle

Michelle B

24/7

It'll be playing around the clock. You'll see.

http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Lilith, A way cool story.

Lilith, A way cool story. Looking forward to reading some more of it. J-Lynn

TY!

Thank you! I'm working on the next part right now, while I'm inspired.

http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

A Great Story

jengrl's picture

Another great story Lilli. I am looking forward to seeing how this one turns out. I admit to wishing her mother could have stayed around for a bit longer to teach her new daughter what she needs to know. Veronica is going to be experiencing things that are going to be scary for the first time without her mother. Her period will be a real eyeopener when it finally shows up and learning to fend off the unwanted sexual advances of men is something that she really needs her mother there for. She would have come in handy during training for the mission too. Her mother left her instructions for things but it just isn't the same as being there. She already missed 13 years of her child's life( for a valid reason), but still it would have been nice to have her around longer. It is really sad in that respect. All in all a great beginning though.

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

Magic

In the world of magic, anything is possible.

In a sense, we haven't heard the last of Tris. She's not going to go all Obi-wan on Veronica, so you'll have to wait and see in regards to what I plan on doing.

Yes, there are things that only a mother and daughter should share, but Veronica will have to make due with what she has. I planned from the beginning to make this a difficult transition for her.

On the surface she will have everything she needs to be a woman, but underneath she has virtually nothing.

Thanks for your thoughts!

http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Nice Beginning Lilith

Frank's picture

I'm really looking forward to how you do chapter 2 after some of the discussion that we had regarding what she might do to handle her change..

Can't wait!

Hugs

Frank

Hugs

Frank

Anti-cliche-isms

There are a number of things I want to include in this story in regards to what we spoke of and the input from the others on the "Cliche" thread earlier this week.

I've already started to introduce some aspects into the story, and have plans for much more.

Thanks Frank!!

http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Regarding original fate for Marcus

Now, this is pure speculation and I admit it's a bit mad but it occurs to me that one really bizarre or unique thing would be for Marcus to become Tris, or even become an Avatar of Artemis and get transformed - I invite a hail of comments on my mad cap ideas :)

The nature of Monkey is - Irrepressible!!!

The nature of Monkey is - Irrepressible!!!

Kinky

Hmmm, At this point Marcus is considered a "possible romantic interest" Having him be Tris... Kinky!

Having him be the incarnation of Artemis... not as taboo, but still kinky, since she calls Veronica, daughter.

But we still don't know yet about Veronica's sexual preference, if any. However it never hurts to speculate.

(Wink)

http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Brava!

A wonderful start to yet another tale from one of the most prolific and skilled writers in the TG universe! Thank you so much for sharing your gifts with all of us!

Patricia

High Praise

Thank you. I don't know if I'm up there with the best, but it's good company. Thank you for thinking of me in that way.

http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Great Story!

Lilith,

Thanks for a very enjoyable read! The dynamic between Veronica and Marcus is great and Artemis was very well-characterized. I hope the notes and files left by Tris play a role in Veronica's training. Thalestris was a great character that fell too soon, so it's great that she will be able to help shape her daughter's life in word if not in deed.

Looking forward to Part 2!

Hrist

TY!

Thank you Hrist! Yeah, I really liked Tris as well. I had a specific person in mind when I wrote her dialog. So it was pretty easy. Luckily I am working on part 2 today! Maybe it will be out soon!

http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Hmm, interesting so far.

So you know, you've opened up a huge can of worms here with Fantasy Kitchen Sink. What else is true? How much are they all fighting? Where are the Jews and the Asians and the American Tribes in all this?

On another point: nitpick, it's altar. Alter is a change; although it fits, I don't think that's what you're aiming to say.

I like this though. Thales, is a great name, and you have a decisive talent for first person narratives, your protagonists are current, modern, and real.

Good job, and thanks.

Other Religions

Ah, Thank you for the homonym find. It's little things like this that I seem to have the most common mistakes on.

On Thales: I pulled up a list of known Amazon names on Wikipedia and tried to find a male sounding name in the midst. Thales was the closest I could come, and I liked it for the short time it was used.

Worms: I hope I have. It would be interesting to see what could happen, what else could pop up. The list isn't endless, but big. It's a very easy universe to write in seeing as how there is little interaction with the other stories, but they are tied nonetheless.

As you can see in this story the media is already starting to have their doubts about the role of magic in mundane society. Religious counters will begin soon, followed by the effect it will have world wide in different cultures.

What's going to happen when other religions get into the mix. I mean, what will happen when the Hindu, Oriental, Celtic, American Indian, gods start popping up? Maybe you can answer that question. I don't have the time to write it all. (wink)

Thanks for your interesting comments!

Lili

http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Religion is a great point,

Religion is a great point, one I hadn't thought of. Jews are a people, but if you get belief systems, numerology and wardings suddenly have both value and effect.

And thank you for the invitation, but I'm a horrible author. Only a fair storyteller, I'm a much better (IMO) critic.

Keep in mind the other stories as well.

I plan to integrate The Poseidon Adventure in this as well. Poseidon has already raised his head and started the ball rolling for the Greek Gods. He said that the more worshipers a god has the more power he/she has. And the leaders of the pack are the Judeo/Christian and Muslim gods.

But you can blame Shaylee from FQ for reintroducing magic to the mundane world. With her interference it has started the ball rolling on everything supernatural being suspect and valid.

That's why this is such a fertile universe.

http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Magic

So perhaps the magic went away due to Morgan LaFay not only interrupting the natural cycle of ruler and The Land link, but by her having a virtual strangle hold on the magic. Moreover you seem to be suggesting that linkage effected our world as well as that of the Fairy.

Whatever Shaylee did certainly rocked the world. Oh great now I'm channeling John of W again! Anyways I'm guessing it was her giving birth. That birthing would have been the first by a Queen bound to the Land in a thousand years. I can't think of an event more seeped in magic.

Now here is the big decision. Do I go look for the Amazons or the Priestess of Poseidon? Which has the shortest waiting line? :)

Hugs!

grover

Good analysis

That is a pretty good way of looking at it. Being a thousand years old Sorceress has got to suck up the juice from somewhere. As to what Shaylee did... well I can't say anything about that until FQ3 is released.

Amazon or Poseidonette... hmm, wait until I being some of the other Greek pantheon into the mix. Can you imagine what it will be like when Aphrodite rears her pretty head? Or perhaps someone else will be adding to the supernatural world.

http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Hee, I love greek mythology.

Hee, I love greek mythology. Catch is, I don't know that much about Artemis (despite my efforts) or the amazons. How much of this is taken directly from mythology and how much of it is creative license?

~ Compulsive online gamer, supernerd, and geek at your service ~

Mythology

It depends on what story you read, as most mythology is like.

Artemis is the goddess of the hunt, hills&valleys, virgin girls, childbirth, wild animals, wisdom (sometimes), the moon (sometimes). Amazons were said to have a number of goddesses they worshiped Artemis, being one of them. And in some tales Ares was said to have fathered them or enslaved them. So take your pick.

I've just taken what I needed to make the story.

Here's the link at Wikipedia. It's not complete or totally accurate, but it's better than most I've seen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Artemis

http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

I wanted to say all the nasty words I know, which would take....

Hope Eternal Reigns's picture

Hi Lilith,

... I speak very slowly and articulately so... about.... four and one half ... femto-seconds. I am totally and completely flabber-gasted by now having ANOTHER series by one of my favourite authors here at BCTS to keep track of. Oh, try to keep in mind that I LOVE IT!!!!! Marcus is one of the truest friends I've ever read about. I hope he and Veronica have a WHOLE SLEW of super little Amazons after they finish their quest.

Thank you for sharing ANOTHER of your inspired stories with all of us.

with love,

Hope

with love,

Hope

Once in a while I bare my soul, more often my soles bear me.

Chastity

Poor Marcus... so close and yet so far away.

Thank you, Hope! More inspired stories to come!

Lili

http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Took me long enough.

~*Tackle-hugs favorite author*~

Story read - check.

Story appreciated, loved, favored - check, check, and check.

I love magic ^_^

I think my 2 favorite moments were Thales picking up the sword without breaking eye contact (powerful stuff!) and the interaction with Artemis. There's something electrifying about interacting with a being so powerful, yet still so human as to be prone to whims and emotions.

Glad to have you back!

PS: Far from me the idea to further delay established stories, but the idea of an Aphrodite story sounds intriguing ~_^


-Christelle

"Fun-loving geek-chick looking for someone who doesn't give a damn about her past"


-Christelle

"Fun-loving geek-chick who's addicted to sunlight!"

*meep*

~*Still recovering from being tackled*~

Artemis: That's one of the things I liked about the Greek pantheon -- real emotions, not the "I art the coolest, worship me."

I already have an Aphrodite story on the back burner, simmering. So, you'll get your wish.

Stories simmering from the Greek Pantheon: Hera, Aphrodite, Demeter, Athena, Zeus, Hades, Apollo, Hermes, and Hephaestus. Oh, and Nyx, just to to have some cool fun.

I've got plot ideas for all of them, but the ones I'm most interested in are Aphrodite, and Nyx.

Aphrodite - Plot: The goddess of love is slumming on earth at a nightclub where she meets a man whom she cannot influence no matter how many of her wiles she uses.

Nyx - Plot: The primordial goddess of night is the mother of Death. Death has gone missing/died/kidnapped and it is up to Nyx to find a replacement.

I'll probably give the others away if someone wants them and wants to write for the universe.

Lili

http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

On a Pale Horse

Hope Eternal Reigns's picture

Hi Lilith,

Your plot-line for the 'Nix/Death' story reminds me of the Piers Anthony series 'The Incarnations of Immortality'.

with love,

Hope

P.S. Of course Piers didn't do too much in the way of TG in his stories, well except maybe in 'With a Tangled Skein'.

with love,

Hope

Once in a while I bare my soul, more often my soles bear me.

Bearing an Hourglass

I've read the series. It was one of my favorites at the time it was released, now it's just meh. My favorite of the series was Bearing an hourglass.

I can see the similarities between the two, death dying and having to be replaced, but that's about where it will end. There is also a story by Amber Benson (Tara of Buffy Fame) called "Death's Daughter" that was a pretty good read. That one came out about a month or two ago. Similar storyline.

Lili

http://lilithlangtree.tglibrary.com/

~Lili

Write the story that you most desperately want to read.

Ares Bane: Nemesis (Part 1)

Veronica sounds a bit like Xena: Warrior Princess or perhaps Rogue of the X-Men, or even Spidergirl. ]

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine
    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Wow!

Aine Sabine's picture

This was awesome! Can't wait for the next! Oh wait, it's already posted! I'm just hoping the last in the list, after part 3 of this one, is FQ3.

Wil

Aine

The nice thing about Lilith’s

The nice thing about Lilith’s story collection is how well the stories stand up the second or third time you read them. Lilith you are still one of my favorite authors.