Daddy's Little Girl - Christmas Day

Printer-friendly version

This is a continuation of a bit of flash fiction I'd written called, Daddy's Little Girl. I hadn't really planned on writing a continuation, but when this family came to me with their story a few days before Christmas, I had to write it. It's a story that shows even dense people can sometimes be reasonable with the right motivation.

Daddy's Little Girl - Christmas Day
Copyright 2008 by Heather Rose Brown
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Sipping my fourth cup of coffee for the night (or was it the first cup for the morning?), I studied the scruffy face of the man I used to call my husband. He set his cup on the kitchen table separating us, missing the saucer I'd put in front of him for just that purpose by several inches. "Are you sure you don't want to call Jack and tell him it's okay to be here?"

I imitated Mark's action, but waited for the clink of stoneware against stoneware before shaking my head. "I don't think he'd come today, or at least not this morning, no matter what I said. We discussed it for quite a while yesterday, and he seems convinced things would work out better if, at least initially, it was just you, me, and our son."

Mark's bushy eyebrows popped up. "Our son?"

I closed my eyes and sighed. "I mean our ... child."

I opened my eyes back up when I felt his hand on mine and was taken by surprise when I saw the deep concern in his golden brown eyes. "Theresa," he whispered, "are you thinking of backing out?"

"No," I answered just as quietly. "I've tried doing things my way and wound up with a miserable, withdrawn child. It's been breaking my heart seeing hi--her like that."

My former husband nodded, and stared at his half-empty cup before asking, "How does Jack feel about this?"

I shifted my hand under his, took hold of his fingers and squeezed them gently. "Actually, he was the one who initially suggested maybe what I was doing wasn't helping."

Mark looked back up at me, the pain in his eyes replaced by impish mirth. "He had the nerve to suggest you might be mistaken? He's a much braver man than I."

I could feel my cheeks growing warm. "I'm not really that bad, am I?"

His expression became more serious, although the hint of a smile still lingered. "Most of the time, you're a reasonable woman. But there are times, when you get something in your head, it's pretty much impossible to convince you otherwise."

"I'm sorry. I guess I can be pretty mule-headed at times. It's just, when I'm trying to protect someone I care about, I sometimes ..." I let the rest of my apology drop when I heard the creak of small feet coming down the steps and turned towards the doorway leading out to the living room. "Good morning, sweetie!" I shouted. "Merry Christmas!"

"Merry Christmas, Mommy," called back a soft, listless voice.

"There's someone down here in the kitchen waiting to see you, sweetheart."

"Really? Who?" The hint of hope in those two words brought a lump up in my throat. It was the first time in weeks I'd heard more than a dull monotone.

"Why don't you come down and find out?" I asked, mentally crossing my fingers and hoping I'd made the right decision by inviting Mark over for Christmas.

Daddy!" The squeal of excitement when the most precious child in the world walked into the kitchen told me my concerns were unfounded.

Mark slid from his chair and kneeled in the puddle he'd made in the middle of the recently scrubbed linoleum when the snow and mud had melted from his boots. "Merry Christmas, pumpkin. C'mere and gimme hugs."

The bliss on both their faces as they hugged made all the favors I called in so Mark could get a day off from working as a roadie, and the deals I had to make so he could get an overnight flight from where the concert was being held, more than worth it. As I dabbed at my eyes with a napkin from the table, I asked, "So, is anybody ready to open up Christmas presents?"

"I guess so," answered the small miracle in my ex-husband's arms.

Mark brushed the back of the long, silky hair our child had refused to let me trim. "Hey, it's Christmas day. What's with all the grumpy gloomies?"

"I dunno."

"I think maybe I got an idea of what's going on. You're thinking maybe Santa didn't get your letter this year, hmm?" Marks question was answered with a noncommittal shrug. Mark responded with a warm, gentle hug, then asked, "Has Santa ever failed you before?"

"Well, no."

"Then why don't we go take a look under the tree and see what he left for you?" Mark asked as he scooped up our child and lead the way into the living room.
=-=-=

"Mommy, what happened to our presents?"

I kneeled in front of the Christmas tree beside my questioner and wrapped an arm around his waist. "No," I thought as I mentally scolded myself, "it's *her* waist. If you're going to do this, there can be no half measures." Out loud, I said, "Well, your father and I had a bit of a chat with Santa last night. It turned out some of the wrong presents had been left here, so they were swapped with the correct ones."

"Santa made a mistake?"

"Yes, sweetheart. Sometimes, grownups make mistakes ... even Santa."

Mark kneeled beside us and pulled a large, flat package from under the tree. "So, are you going to just stare at the presents, or are you going to open them?"

Our daughter's grin stretched from ear to ear as she started tearing open the gift, then dropped it as if she had been burned when she lifted the lid.

"What's wrong, Pumpkin?" Mark asked as he picked the half-opened package up from the floor.

"It ... it's a dress," she answered as she touched the bit of green velvet peeking out of the box with a trembling finger.

"Yes it is," he said as he lifted the lid and tossed it aside, revealing an adorable jumper dress I'd caught our daughter eyeing only a few days ago.

"But, Mommy said I couldn't wear girl stuff no more. She said I gotta wear boy stuff."

I squeezed her waist and asked, "Do you want to wear boy clothes?"

"Nnnnnooo ... but you said I had to 'cause I'm a boy."

"I did say that. But, like I said before, sometimes grownups, even mommies, make mistakes."

Hot tears slid down my cheeks as my daughter wrapped her arms around my neck and whispered between sniffles, "Thank you, Mommy."

Barely able to speak myself, I whispered back, "You're welcome, Melissa. Merry Christmas."

up
121 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Goes to show you

Her mommy is not a bad person but only wants what's best for her child. Nice story Heather.

Michele

Not quite

The mother wanted what she "thinks" is best for the child. Apparently she didn't have any interest before in finding out what really "is" best.

KJT


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

You're right.

Initially, the mother thought she knew what was best for her child. But, after seeing the results of her actions, she was willing to admit she was mistaken. She's also starting to learn to ask questions rather than make assumptions. While it doesn't make everything okay, I think it shows she's a better person than I had first imagined when I wrote the original story on which this one is based.

You are correct

That she is willing to try and adapt is a good sign. Mom seems a bit more concerned with appearances (the bits about the saucer and the freshly-mopped floor) than reality, so I'm only giving her provisional credit. The fact that it took the new husband's suggestion to get her to try things differently doesn't speak well for her flexibility.

An epilogue featuring the well-adjusted and happy 18 year-old daughter graduating from high school with both of her loving parents and their respective significant others in attendance would seal the deal for me. :-)

KJT


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

It's a nice story

People don't realize how tough it is for parents. It's a difficult road. Whether to allow their children to live as they are, and to accept it, is no easy thing.

Perfect

A perfect little tale for Christmas - thank you!

Pleione

Daddy's Little Girl

What a wonderful story. With three such loving parents, how can she go wrong?
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

voice

Heather, you caught these character's voices perfectly. Theresa obviously likes things her way and expects to get them. The bits about the floor being clean and getting Mark here despite his job and transportation difficulties. However she does love her child and eventually did try to change. Dad sounds like he works show business and the stage. Maybe that primed him to have a more open mind, but in any case it's plain that Melissa and he has a very special relationship that just shines right off the screen of my monitor. Well done Heather!

Hugs!

grover

Massive Heartstring Plucker

SOMEBODY really knows how to trip the waterworks, doesn't she?

Beautiful, touching job, as always, Heather Rose!

Still Sounds like MORE

Heather: Still sounds as it can continue alot more, these first two chapters are still calling for more. Thanks for two great Chapters! Richard

Richard

This is very sweet.

I agree that even mothers can make mistakes. It's too bad that there are parents who never change their minds, but allow the child to live in sadness, instead of letting their child be who they really are. This story is so adorable and shows a mother coming to terms with her "I'm always right" attitude. This story just warms the heart. Thank you for sharing.

Be strong, because it is in our strength that we can heal.

Love & Hugs,

Barbara

"With confidence and forbearance, we will have the strength to move forward."

Love & hugs,
Barbara

"If I have to be this girl in me, Then I have the right to be."

Better

This is a lot more hopeful than the last tearful time we saw Melissa and her Daddy. Thank you for a happier ending.

Got Something in My Eye

terrynaut's picture

It's called a tear. Your story got me to cry. It's beautiful. *sniffle*

I like the hope portrayed in this story. It gives me hope. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect it could happen. Some people can admit to making mistakes, and some can even make amends and correct their mistakes. *sigh*

Thanks very much for this story.

- Terry

More purrrrrrrrrrfection

Huggles Heather Rose my super kewl cuz

Pure and simple magic as always. Nobody says more or paints such a beautiful picture with so few words and so few crayons.

What I love about your stories is how they sort of hit the ground running ... What I mean is that in a lot of stories I've read and have written, it can take awhile to really get comfortable in the story. Sometimes it takes a couple of chapters to really get the feel of things and to see everything clearly, but not with yours. I'm in the story within the first couple of paragraphs every time! It's like when I open one of your stories, the stage is set and all I have to do is turn on the light (read the first little bit) and I am right in the middle of it.

When you don't right long ... you have to write very concise to get the message across. You don't waste a word. You always find just the right ones. I've stumbled along for countless paragraphs sometimes, just trying to bring a single point home and yet you always do it with just a few words, a sentence, or a short concise discription.

This story was so real I didn't think I was reading, I felt more like I was watching a real life drama unfold, and it was so true to life.

It must be hard for parents to deal with their child's gender dysphoria. In your story you showed a couple different perspectives and in the end, the Mum realized that it didn't really matter if she had a daughter or a son, the important thing was that her CHILD be happy and know she was loved and supported.

Beautiful as the Rose in your name.

Thank you

Please give us more when you can.

Hugs and love Maggie

Sometimes the process of

Sometimes the process of finding out what is best includes a lot of u-turns. Give the lady a break.