Not Like Other Girls, Part 11

Printer-friendly version

Emily Berrigan is a 23 year old woman, who hasn't seen her twin in six years. Not since she told her parents the truth and they threw her out. Now her older sister is getting married and she wants Emily there...as a bridesmaid. Will sparks fly?
---
In this chapter, Emily comes to Chicago for the wedding weekend, confronts her mother's family and meets Jared's.
---
After six hours in traffic and in the air, Emily landed at O’Hare. She had tried to get a flight out of Burbank - it was closer, smaller and parking was cheaper, but she would’ve had to connect in Denver and she didn’t want to risk losing her luggage, which left an hour and a half getting to, and through, the hellscape that is LAX. She deplaned and went down to baggage claim, alternating flicking through her phone and staring at the carousel. When she took her suitcase off, she heard, “Emily!”

She saw Jeannie coming in and grinned, giving her a big hug and kiss. “Ohmigosh! You really didn't have to do this. I mean it's way early and I could've taken the train or a cab.”

“I wanted to spend some time with you, especially since the weekend is going to be crazy.”

“Yeah, but you're going to have to get Liam too…” Liam had told her he would've flown with her except he had a class that morning he couldn't skip.

“Stop. I'll spend some time with you and then get him on my way back, unless you don't want to,” she grinned.

“Please, like there's anyone else I wanted to spend time with more,” and she gave her another hug, then, “I'm not making a mistake by doing this, right?” ‘This’ being meeting her grandmother, aunt and cousins. “I mean I didn't want anything to ruin Stef's day. I want it to be perfect and I was not going to let my drama ruin her day. Hers and Jared’s, I mean.”

Jeannie laughed, “I'm sure he'd appreciate being included.”

“I'm not making a mistake, right? You don't think my mom and Stef made them do this?”

“For the tenth time, no. Stef would never do that to you and your mom’s really happy that you two are talking, that you're letting her come with you to get room gifts, she told me, and she would never sabotage that by sandbagging you. Whatever else she may be, she’s not that.”

Emily smiled. “That’s a defense.”

“You know what I meant,” she laughed. “She has her baby back and she's not giving you up.”

Emily shrugged, “Maybe. So, anyway, the velvet dress I showed you is good for the rehearsal, right?” She was meeting Jared's parents for the first time and couldn't decide what to wear.

“No. We talked about this. Come on,” and then she grinned.

“Shut up. I just want to make a good impression.”

Jeannie kept smiling. “You always make a good impression.”

“I'm just…”

“Don't be..anyway, what's going with what's-her-name?” With that, Emily started describing an ongoing argument with a co-worker.


Emily stood nervously in her jeans and teal sweater over white cotton button down, Nikes on her feet. This was a mistake, she knew it was a mistake and she had only compounded the mistake by telling Jeannie ‘I can handle this.’ She practiced breathing, hoping her nervousness didn't show through. Then, she thought, whatever. You didn't have them before, you won't have them after, who cares. Then, as she was going to the other hand, she saw them walk in, her grandmother, aunt and cousins and saw her grandmother grip her aunt’s arm tightly.

They all approached her and Emily broke the silence with, “Hello.”

Her cousin Stacy turned to Aunt Jackie and laughed, “Did you get pregnant again and we missed it?”

Jackie spoke first “Thank you for agreeing to meet us…”

“Yes, and for giving your mother - and hopefully the rest of us, another chance, we don't deserve it,” her grandmother interrupted. She moved to give Em a hug and she held her hand out. Her grandmother’s shoulders slumped and she said, “I understand.” Em felt her stomach drop and she cursed herself for that.

Her aunt went to open her mouth and Em looked at her, “Why did you all do it?”

Jackie looked at her, “Your mother was acting irrationally and instead of telling her to snap out of it and do the right thing, we caved. It's absolutely unacceptable but it's the truth.”

Emily felt herself tearing up, then stopped, “I really needed you guys,” and she turned to her grandmother, “especially you. I was alone and afraid and you just cut me off without anything, and I was only 17 and I wondered what I did to make you hate me so much that you couldn't even say goodbye, much less not say goodbye.”

“Emily, first, I never hated you. I never did and I never will. Like your aunt said, we caved. I not only failed as a grandmother, I failed as a mother. I should've looked at your mother and said your daughter needs you so get your head out of your behind and take care of her and, more importantly, I should've looked in the mirror and told myself the same thing. I didn't. And when I finally realized I was wrong, I was too embarrassed to call you. If you want to tell us it's too little, too late, you should, we deserve it, but I hope you won't.”

If this was victory, Emily felt awful. And she looked at the woman before her, the one that called her her ‘little star’ and who baked her cookies and whose hugs had always made Emily feel like she was before a roaring fire on a snowy day, cup of hot chocolate in hand. Emily looked at the floor, “I'll tell you what I told mom, I'll try my hardest but I make no guarantees, I can't.”

Her aunt stood next to her and rubbed her shoulder, “We know, Emily. We're glad you're willing to try,”

Mia laughed, “Your sister wouldn't.” Her grandmother, aunt and Stacy laughed.

“Hey! That's not fair! Ok, well, it's not nice,” Em laughed.

Her grandmother moved Jackie out of the way and rubbed her shoulder some more. “Emily Claire, your mother can't stand that name, for some reason, I like it,” she laughed, “I want you to know that whatever you need to get off your chest, you say it, no matter what. But I also want you to know that we are all so excited to finally have the real Emily.”

“You really mean that? If you don't, just tell me. I can't have that toxicity in my life.”

Stacy looked at her, “Emily, as far as I was concerned, you were always Emily. We cut you off because we were more concerned with not listening to your mother and that was an absolutely shitty thing to do. I’ll apologize as many times as you’ll let me.”

Emily looked at her, “Thanks but you know what? I can’t go backwards and I don’t want to. I told my mother that this will happen or it won’t, but going backwards isn’t good for me.”

Mia looked at her. “Did you tell your dad’s family that?” she laughed.

In spite of herself, Emily smiled. “And THAT is place number one that I don’t want to go,” which made everyone laugh.

Jackie looked at her. “You’re one of us. Steffie got Nehlen hair, but you’re one of us.”

“Again, do you really mean that or did my mom put you up to this?”

Before Emily could speak, her grandmother said, “You are my granddaughter. My beautiful granddaughter. That's it. When I came in before and saw you, I don't think I felt as happy since I saw you in the hospital when you were born,” then she reached into her bag and pulled out a long box and handed it to Em.

“What’s this?” She slid a nail under the wrapping, opened the box and looked at the gold butterfly necklace with small emeralds. “Ohmigosh, it’s beautiful.”

Her grandmother came over and said ‘may I,’ as she put the necklace around Em’s neck. “I get all of my granddaughters a gemstone necklace when they turn 21. Sorry I’m late.”

“Butterflies are my spirit animal, how did you know?”

Mia looked at her. “I remember babysitting you when you and Jordan were four or so. Jordan was busy tearing around our backyard and you saw a butterfly and just smiled, and looked at it until it flew away. Oh yeah, that and Steffie told us all how much you liked them.”

She hugged her grandmother without thinking. “It’s beautiful. Thank you,” and she looked at her reflection in the chrome of the espresso machine.

“Emily, I'm going to earn back your trust and your love and so is Jackie and so are your cousins.”

“I'll try my hardest too,” Emily said.

Jackie looked at her, “We do the work, not you. You just keep being you and giving me diabetes,” and she winked.

“Hey!” She looked at her reflection in the chrome of the espresso machine. Her aunt looked at her and smiled. “What?”

“That necklace really does set off your eyes,” and she touched her hair. “Yup, that settles it, you’re one of us.”

She smiled, “Am I really?” Then she kicked herself for being so open, so needy.

Jackie stood next to her. “Emily, you know I don't mince words, but I mean it. You were a little girl in my backyard, you're a grown woman now, I don't care about some mistake the county department of health made on a piece of paper.”

“Really? You really mean that?” Stand up for yourself.

“Yes,” then, “enough sentimentality. Please tell me your mother has stopped with Stacy and Mia as bridesmaids.” Her cousins groaned.

Emily laughed, grateful for the distraction, “Finally.”

Her grandmother laughed, “That's the Grandpa Frank in her. Get a bad idea in your head and ride that horse until it drops. I told her, Stef told her…”

“Stace and I told her,” Mia laughed. “Maybe you can explain why…”

“I don’t know, maybe it's the whole Jamie and Brooke thing which is stupid, but…” And everyone laughed. “I think she realizes that, two days before, nothing's changing, but,” and she shrugged.

Jackie laughed, “You're being very diplomatic.”

Emily laughed, “What else can I do?”

Then her grandmother smiled, "Thank you for Berrigan. If my father was here, he'd thank you too."

Emily smiled back. "That story always stuck with me. If she could do it, so could I." I'm doing this, she thought, right?

—--
Her grandmother, aunt and cousins left, and then her mom met her, “Jackie said it went really well.”

“I dunno. How do I know it wasn't an act?”

“It was NOT an act. If it was an act, I will never speak to any of them again and your sister….”

“I just…”

“Emily, they apologized…”

‘I feel pathetic,’ she thought to herself. ‘I know you all cut me off and didn’t have anything to do with me for six years, but please love me. “I guess. I just…”

“You’re giving them and me a second chance, that they, we better not mess up. Remember that you set the terms, not us. You’re not a little girl anymore,” which made Emily pause. “You decide. If anyone, them, me, says something, does something, tell them it’s unacceptable.”

Emily thought how she couldn’t do that, not like Stef. “Uh huh.”

“You can do it, Emily. And thank you again. It means a lot to Stef, it means a lot to me.”

“Uh huh,” she said, as she still couldn't shake the feeling that the other shoe hadn't dropped, then resolved to just enjoy the day as much as possible.

“I mean it. There's a reason you're the sweet one and Stef is the smart one,” she laughed.

“Hey, I think that's an insult!”

“It isn't. So what does her highness want us to get for everyone?”

“I dunno. Bottle of wine, some cheese and crackers and she said ‘something Chicago-specific,’ so I dunno what that means, Lemonheads or a Cubs hat?”

Her mother laughed, “Your father would buy them a six-pack of Old Style and call it a day. How about Frangos?”

Emily smiled, remembering how her grandmother always had some in the house and would let them have one before dinner. “OK,” and they walked along Michigan Avenue, looking in the windows of the stores neither could afford. “Those are pretty,” her mother said, looking at a pair of black Louboutins with a 3 inch heel.

Em still didn't trust her but decided to cast caution to the wind. “I actually bought a pair like that, not those obviously, I can't afford a sole on one of those…”

Her mother laughed, “Darn, and I was thinking that, if you could, I was going to ask if your firm was hiring. I have a pair about that high to wear Saturday, obviously in blue. I rarely wear them that high, so I hope I don't fall on my face. That's for your cousins…”

“They're still that bad?”

“Sadly, yes…”

They kept walking, just staring in the windows and talking about work and the wedding and Jared's family. “I love Jar and Jamie and all of them. They were so nice when we went for drinks…”

“Why shouldn't they be?”

“I just…”

Her mother looked at her. “There's no just. You are a sweet, wonderful girl, young woman, sorry…I know we said we wouldn't talk about it again and I won't but I don't think you realize how much everyone loves you and how big a mistake I made. If someone doesn't like you, there's something wrong with them.” Emily looked down and mumbled, and her mother said, “I mean it. We are proud of you, proud of the life you've made, proud that, in spite of us, you are still the same sweet person and I know you don't like talking about it, but what you've done for Jeannie, Rob and Liam…”

“Everyone keeps saying that. They've done a lot for me too.”

“Good,” then, “am I making you uncomfortable?”

“Kinda?”

“I'll stop then,” she smiled, “although I love Nicki, how she came from that witch of a mother, I will never know.” Then, she picked up a conversation they had had about her job about how one of the admins wasn't doing her job and was blaming everyone else.

“Yeah, we have one of those too, Luz. She's constantly trying to get people to talk about the lawyers but we're all like, ‘yeah, we'll pass,’ you tell her something, you may as well yell it.”

“Oh god, you probably don't remember Susan…”

“Fat Susan or Scary Susan?”

Her mother started laughing, “What?”

“Oh yeah, sorry, that's what we called them. Me and Jordy and Stevie Harris. Stef just used to say, ‘I thought fat people were supposed to be jolly.’”

Her mother kept laughing, “I had no idea. I shudder thinking about what people called me then. Anyway, it was I'm guessing Scary Susan,” and she told a story about how she said something to one of the lawyers and got someone fired.

After half an hour, her mother looked at her, “You are so much easier to shop with than Stephanie.”

“Really, why?”

Her mother smiled, “You're really asking that?”

They walked into a gourmet market and her mother put a couple of bottles of Pinot into the basket, “Everyone likes this.”

“We should see what kind of cheese we get first. Like pinot is fine with something like Brie or Grana Padano, the acidity of the wine balances out the nuttiness of the cheese. But if we go with something like Asiago or Fiore Sardo, which is harder and will probably stay better in the room, you want something fruitier like Zin or a rioja, but some people don't love fruitier wines, although I'm sure they'll appreciate it. It's not like a riesling or a Moscato, which is way too sweet…” She saw her mother staring at her. “What?”

“How do you know all that?”

“That's nothing. A good cheesemonger or sommelier could give you twenty minutes on just one. Anyway, I worked at this one place, total old school expense account place that was known for its cheese course, lots of old guys who eat cheese, young guys in LA don't, and you'd always get some guy who wanted to test what the girl knew, make me look bad, so I studied everything about everything so they couldn't.”

Her mother smiled, “Your father will be glad to know there's some of him in you. I would have just curled up into a ball.”

They finished shopping and went back to Emily's room (she was sharing with Arden) to assemble the baskets. Her mother looked at her, “I don't think I've had such a good day in a long time.”

“We just walked around.”

“Exactly. You and me. No one else, just you and me.”

Em, despite herself, felt a tear, “You really mean that?”

“I really do,” and she gave her a hug, “Jeannie told me you were a crier.”

“Stupid hormones, my mood goes all over the place sometimes.”

“Better tears than what Jackie's going through now. Did she tell you? First, hot flashes, then she's freezing, then she's hot again. Poor Uncle Mark says he needs to sleep in shorts and a parka.”

“Marissa's mom's going through it now and she's like,” and she swung her arm in a semi-circle. “Sorry.”

“Why? For what?”

“I just, I figured me, talking about it and my hormones…”

Her mother held up her hand, “Is perfectly normal. Do I think Marissa's mom would appreciate,” and she swung her arm, “probably not, but if you ever have questions or concerns or just want to complain, I'm here to listen.”

“Really?”

Her mother sighed. “You are my daughter, Emily. I'm sorry I didn't realize it sooner and I wasn't there to help when you started on hormones…”

Emily laughed, “Trust me, you're not sorry. I was a mess.”

“I dealt with your sister and Jordan, you couldn't have been worse than them,” she laughed. “Anyway, you can't make me feel uncomfortable. I'm your mother.”

Emily paused, started to speak, paused, and then said, “ Is there anything else you want to do?”

“I would love to, but I need to get back home and take care of things before tomorrow.” She gave her a kiss, “I had a wonderful day.”

“I'll see you tomorrow,” and she remembered to smile.

As she was leaving, she stopped. “I almost forgot,” and she fished around in her purse, taking out a small box.

“What's this?” Emily opened it and saw a set of pearl earrings. “Are these your grandmother's earrings?”

“Mmm hmmm. She gave them to grandma, who was the youngest girl, who gave them to me for the same reason, and now it's my turn.”

Emily started tearing up. “Oh wow, I mean, I, are you sure?”

“Of course I'm sure. You're the youngest girl, right?” Emily nodded and wiped her eyes, and her mother smiled. “Then they're yours and if you have daughters, you'll give them to the youngest one too.”

“I… I…” She took out her earrings and put them in. She went over to the mirror. “They're so pretty. I used to love when you wore them. I loved the whole tradition.”

Her mother smiled. “I know, that's why you deserve them. Will you wear them Saturday? I think grandma would really appreciate it.”

“Of course,” and then she wiped her eyes. “I know, I know, I'm a crier.”

Her mother smiled and kissed her cheek. “I love you, Emmy.”

“I love you too.”


That night, Stef was taking her bridal party out for dinner, but in the afternoon took Arden to a spa for massages and facials.

“Where’s everyone else?”

“Brooke and Jamie are doing stuff with Jar’s mom and Nicki and the bitch,” Stef laughed, “We need this. Look at your face,” which got a middle finger. “Em has 23 year old relaxed skin. Besides, she's getting room gifts with my mom.”

Arden looked at her, “Wow, that's, wow…”

Stef laughed, then got serious, “They're both really trying. Em won't ever say it, but she really missed my mom and my mom is thrilled she has her favorite back.”

Arden laughed, “Jealous?”

Stef scoffed, “Please, Ar, I've had her all…to…myself for the past six years. Anyway, thanks for splitting a room with her. She wouldn't let anyone pay and I know she's not making a lot.”

“Please, I love her.”

“She loves you too. You'll see her tonight.”

Arden laughed, “Not that I’m turning down a free facial and a free meal…”

“It’s going to be crazy tomorrow. Plus, I wanted everyone to hang out relaxed, because tomorrow’s going to be crazy, with everyone there. Besides, Jamie and I figured Em and Brooke should meet beforehand, without everyone there and without my parents or Jar’s trying to force some connection on them,” and, in an annoying voice, “you both live in LA, and she’s an actress and you’re in film school,” which got a laugh.

They took them first for facials, applying mud masks and then putting cucumbers on their eyes. “You know, when I was a kid and I saw people doing this on TV, I thought it was BS,” Arden said. “Like who would put mud on their face on purpose, except my cousin and he ate crayons.”

Stef laughed, “The first time my mom took me, when I was like 15 or something, I remember the woman coming at me with that little pore cleaning thing. I almost ran out.”

They talked about residency for a while,about her attending physician who was ‘a total asshole,’ and about Stef's job (‘I expect a call during the ceremony.’)

After the esthetician dug out their pores, an activity not conducive to conversation other than ‘hold still’ and ‘ow,’ they went to the plunge pool. “Fuck, that’s cold,” Stef laughed. “So anyway, I wanted to thank you for everything you’ve done for me, for being like my sister,”

Arden rolled her eyes. “Oh god, don't tell me that, now that you're getting married, you think you have to have feelings…”

“Shut up,” she laughed, “I'm serious.”

Arden smiled, “I know. So are you,” then, “so what's going to happen with them?” Meaning Stef’s father's family.

Stef took a deep breath, “I dunno. I'm afraid.”

Arden looked at her, “You said everyone is keeping an eye on her. You know that I will and I'm pretty sure your uncle would kill them if they even tried.”

They got out of the plunge pool, put on robes and went to get massages. “Yeah, well, it's just she's so excited and my mom's so excited and I just don't want everybody's memory to be…”

Arden looked at her. “It won't. I promise.”

“But…”

Arden said, “I know you want to make everything right, that's why I love you, but trust me, everyone's family is fucked up and everyone has stories from weddings and stuff.”

“What if my mom is right about violence?”

“She isn't. You said she's never going to be alone and she won't be. You're going to have a beautiful day with just regular embarrassing shit like my toast…”

Stef laughed, “You better not…”

“See, everything's back to normal…Mrs. Gauss. Mrs. Gauss, my mom says I can stay for dinner if you say it's ok,”

—--
That night at dinner, Brooke looked at Emily, and whispered, “I can't listen to any more law or medicine.”

“Definitely. It's like I have to listen to that at work. Can we talk about movies or TV or anything else?”

Brooke laughed, “Speaking of which, Stef said you were in a movie. Real or student?”

Emily found the distinction amusing, given that Brooke was at USC Film School, but said, “Micro-budget indie thing. I met the director when he was a PA on this commercial, he and the DP went to USC. We'll see what happens. Trying to raise money for post and all that, if I ever get called back to loop, I'll be shocked.”

“How was the shoot?”

“Eh, if nothing else, it's experience. I don't see it in wide release, if you know what I mean.”

“Bad horror or overwrought drama?”

Emily laughed. “Not that bad, but drama.”

“Jared says you're a Type A cheerleader, trying to get out of her life.” She looked at Stef, “Must've been really hard to find your character.”

Emily laughed, “Everyone keeps saying that. I did years of research beforehand. Like I said, it's experience, something for the resume maybe. What about you, what's your project?”

“I dunno. Maybe I'll do a movie about two female lawyers who can't talk about anything else… actually, I'm thinking I wanna do a thriller, female detective, that kind of thing, I have to figure out how to make a short of it.”

“That sounds really cool. Would you let me see the script?”

Brooke smiled, “Definitely. How come nobody got us together before?”

“Beats me. I'm like only fifteen minutes from you, the 101 to Alvarado and then like half a mile east,” both of them smiling at the way Californians treated the 101 and the 405 like the Tigris and Euphrates. “We're having a party in two weeks, if you're interested. Bring friends.”


Emily stood in front of the mirror Friday night, putting her hair up then down, remembering Stef at Stacy's rehearsal, the way they had put her hair up and Em had suggested little tendrils. After six times, she chose down. She took a look at herself in the purple velvet vintage babydoll dress and her Doc Martens and wondered if this was too casual, if she had made a mistake. Unfortunately, all she had was this, her bridesmaid’s dress and clothes to travel and hang out in. She had put back in her other earrings, figuring the pearl ones didn't really work. She went down the hall to Jordan and Kira. She knocked on the door and Kira opened it. She was wearing a black maxi dress and sandals. “You look amazing, Keek.”

“It's not too Morticia? I mean, you look really good. Also, it's not too Morticia?”

Jordan came over wearing black pants and a solid blue shirt. “I told her she looked just Morticia enough.”

Emily rolled her eyes at Kira. “You know I had hoped time had made you less stupid.”

Jordan laughed, “That was your first mistake. You should have known that was hopeless. You look really good, Emmy.”

“Thanks,” and she looked them up and down. “So do you,” then turning to Kira, “you’re really having an effect on them.” Kira laughed and Emmy continued, “Why am I nervous? None of them are going to be there.” It was just the bridal party, immediate family and out-of-town guests.

Jordan looked at her, “Don’t be. You’ll be fine. They’re actually, I dunno, normal people.”

“I don’t know what to do with that.”

“Me either. No one gets drunk, no one yells, no one fights. Honestly, it’s kinda boring,” they laughed.

Emily laughed, “We'll have plenty of not boring on Saturday, I'm sure, let's just enjoy this.”

They walked to the restaurant. “So what are they like?”

Jordan laughed, “I told you. They’re like nice, normal people. Really smart, like they’re all like Jared and Jamie, and they all talk - a lot.”

“That makes sense, I guess.”

“And they’re all super-progressive and stuff. Like they didn’t even look surprised at me.”

Kira touched their arm. “Why would they?”

Jordan flashed Emily a look. “You’ve met our family.”

Kira smiled and rubbed their shoulder, “Well, they’re wrong.”

They walked into the restaurant and saw Jared. “Jared!” Em said, giving him a kiss, “One more day…”

He gave her a kiss, then Kira. “Don't remind me, Moj,” he said, “Anyway, everyone is in the back room,” and he pointed, “I’ll be back in a minute.”

They walked to the back, and Emily took a breath to calm herself. Her mom walked over and gave each of them a kiss, “You two look beautiful and Jordan,” as she looked them up and down, “you look really good,” and turned to Kira, “you're working wonders. Come in, everyone’s in here.”

Jordan mouthed, with a smile, to Emmy, ‘is she clapped or something?’

A dark-haired woman, 5’4” in a black dress with a boat neck came over and gave Jordan a kiss on the cheek, and said, “Jordan, it's great to see you again. How's Indianapolis?”

“You too, Jen. Good, it’s good. This is my girlfriend, Kira. Kira, this is Jared’s mom, Jen,” and they exchanged kisses on the cheek.

Jen looked at Emily and smiled, “You must be the famous Emily. It's wonderful to finally get to put a face to the name.”

“Hi, Mrs. Gauss. It's so great to meet you. Thank you for having me, and mazel tov!” Jared's mother smiled and Emily said, “I said it right, right? My roommate taught me. Ok, I shouldn't have said that last part out loud.”

Jen laughed, “You said it perfectly, and I'm Jen.” She called out to the man talking to Stef, Jared and her dad, “Mark, come here.” The man walked over with Jared and shook Jordan's hand and asked about work.

He looked at Kira and Emily, and smiled. “You must be Kira, great to meet you,” and he kissed her. Then, he looked at Emily, “It's so nice to finally meet you. I've heard so much about you.”

“Uh oh.”

Everyone laughed, “No, it's all good. You're the actress, right?”

“I'm trying to be one, a working one, I mean.”

“Moji did a commercial for mayonnaise,” Jared said, “she was great.”

“Moji?”

Jamie came over and smiled, “When Em was in for Stef's birthday, Jared decided she was a human emoji, all smiles, and he tried,” and rolled her eyes at Stef, “to get us all to call her that.”

His mother laughed and looked at her husband, “Dog? Dog? Dog?”

His father laughed, “How was school today? It would be better if I had a dog.”

Emily's parents looked confused and Jared's mother smiled, “When Jared was eight, he really wanted a dog and wouldn't shut up about it until someone,” and she looked at her husband, “finally broke down.”

Em’s father, grinning at Stef, “You know how you could take the dog to the vet? In a car, a car, a car…did I mention everything you can do, I can do for you, with a car?”

Stef laughed, “You can't even not abuse me the night before my wedding…”

Emily said, “Jared just wanted a dog…”

Stef rolled her eyes, “She will always take his side, even against me.”

Jared put his arm around Stef, “That's because she's nicer than you.”

Jamie continued, “Anyway, you have to see Em’s commercial. It was very convincing, other than the mayo on everything.”

Emily smiled, “Have you ever had coffee with mayo? No, then don't judge. I'm just kidding.”

“No! Really?”

“Jamie,” Jared’s father laughed. “How do you like living in LA?”

“Umm, when it's 25 and gray here, it's 75 and sunny there. It's fun. I like it, except during fire season.”

“Fire season?” his mother said.

Emily laughed nervously, “The wildfires. They happen so much now, it may as well be a season.”

“That's awful.”

“Omigosh, yes. All those people losing their homes, I volunteered at a pop-up kitchen helping out…”

Stef laughed, “You in a kitchen? Those poor people hadn't suffered enough?”

“Shut up! Stef and Jordan have started a vicious rumor that I can't cook…besides, I helped serve.”

Mark said, “That's a wonderful thing you did. Besides, I don't know,” and he grinned, “that I've ever had the pleasure of one of your sister's gourmet meals.”

“Hey,” Stef laughed, “I can cook.” The look on her parents’ faces could charitably be called dubious. “Besides, we were making fun of Emmy, not me.”

Jared’s mother said, “I have to imagine it's very scary, with all the fires. Have they ever come close to you?”

“I've smelled smoke but thank goodness, we've never had to evacuate, but we still keep go bags ready,” then, “Anyway, I just want to tell you how much I love Jared and Jamie, they've been so great to me.”

“We love you too,” Jamie laughed.

“I really mean it. I'm so glad you'll be part of my family. Sorry if that sounds weird.”

Jared's mother smiled. “It doesn't.”

An older woman walked over with grandma, both in black knee length dresses, pearls and low heels. She said hello to Jordan and looked at Em and Kira. “You must be Kira,” and she kissed her then, “and, from the look of you, you could only be Emily.”

Emily smiled, “It's so great to meet you, Dr. Gauss, Stephanie has told me sooo much about you, that you were a professor, that's amazing, and really smart. OK, I need to stop talking so much.”

Jared's grandmother smiled at Stef and then at Emmy, “I've heard a lot about you too and it’s Gloria. How do you feel about being an actress? What are you doing to fight sexism?” Jared's father groaned, and his grandmother laughed, “I wasn't talking to you.”

“I mean, I like being an actress, it's fun, y’know, other than the rejection, but, I mean I'm not sure what I can do to fight it,” and she shrugged.

His grandmother imitated the shrug, then said, “It only changes if people fight it.”

Jamie laughed, “Welcome to the family, Em. You just got the speech that every woman in the family gets.”

Emily looked and said, “Obviously, it's totally wrong and if, when, if I get any kind of power, I'll totally fight it. Just right now, I'm just trying to get my foot in the door.”

Everyone talked for a little bit, Em’s grandmother complimenting her on her dress. “You look just like your mom did, when she was your age.”

Her mother and Jared's exchanged glances and Em said, “What?”

Jen sighed, “Time marches on…my face.”

Laura looked at her children, “I remember wearing one just like it. Then something came along and made that dress go out the window. Any ideas, Jen?”

“I have a couple, no, wait, three.” Emily felt mortified and Jen looked at her, smiling, “Don't worry, Emily, that dress is perfect, your mother and I were going down memory lane. While you've got it, flaunt it.”

A few seconds later, Brooke came over. “Hey, Em,” and she gave her a kiss, “come over here and meet everyone,” and they walked away to Arden talking to two guys.

Jen turned to Stef, grinning, “You two are sisters?” which made everyone laugh.

“What's that supposed to mean?” Stef laughed.

“Jamie told me but, my god, sorry omigosh, she's so adorable.”

“Hey! Take that back! I'm extremely adorable. Right, Jar?”

He laughed, “Um, sure, that's definitely a word for it.”

Doug looked at Mark and then moaned, “Jared, Jared, Jared,” and then his grandmother smiled, “Jared, if your grandfather were here, he would tell you to shut up and stop digging,” then she winked at Stef, “but she is a little cutie.”

His dad laughed, “Is she Mormon or something?”

Jamie laughed, “When we went to Utah, everyone smiled all the time and it drove him crazy.”

Doug smiled, “She takes after Laura’s side.”

Stef said, “My aunt Jeannie says that you couldn't have two of me or two of her in a family.”

“I like the one of you I have,” Jared said and he kissed her.

Doug laughed, “Not much of a save, Jared.”


In the meantime, Brooke said, “Em, this is Alex,” she said, nodding at a guy, about 5’11” with the same sallow complexion and patchy skin as Arden, “he's Jared's best man, they've been friends since forever, he's doing a fellowship in oncology, which is why,” and she grinned, “he looks like that.”

He laughed and said, “Maaa… can you tell Brookie to get out of my room? Alex and I wanna play Play Station and she's being more annoying than usual!”

The other man, a South Asian about 6’3”, 210, in a medium blue suit, pale blue shirt, no tie, smiled, “While they're on memory lane, I'm Vish Singh. Jared and I roomed together at Harvard, it's great to meet you,” and his eyes took a quiet walk over her.

“I'm Emily, Stef's sister, it's great to meet you, I think we're walking together.”

He said, “I thought he said I was walking with your sister Moji.”

Brooke groaned, “That's what Jared,” and she smiled at Emily, “and only Jared calls her. He says she's the human emoji. Ignore him.”

Vish laughed, “I spent three years ignoring him. Anyway, Stef says you live in Echo Park?”

“You know it?”

“My sister and her family are in Los Feliz, and I'm originally from Scripps Ranch,” a suburb of San Diego.

“It's nice down there. My friend is from Encinitas. What about you?”

She noticed his posture shift, his back straighten, “I'm in New York. After college, I went to McKinsey and then to a PE,” Great, she thought, a finance bro, terrific, “that's a private equity firm.”

Arden looked at her and rolled her eyes, as did Brooke. “Wow, that sounds really,” awful, horrible, “interesting. I'm just an actress.”

He took a sip of his drink, “Have I seen you in anything?” Every actor's favorite question.

“I was on an episode of,” and she named a procedural on which she had all of four lines, playing a college girl whose friend was attacked, “and a commercial for Best Foods mayo.”

“So, basically, if I watched TV with someone's grandpa, you'd be a star,” and he laughed.

She laughed, “Yup, I'm huge with the over 65 crowd. I'm going to get a drink. Brooke, can you show me where?”

They walked away, “Oh my god, is he always that big a dick? That's private equity, you know. I can't believe Jared is friends with him.”

Brooke laughed, “First off, that's way too many people at Harvard, which if you didn't know is where they went. Second, he's not the worst person once you get to know him.”

“Wow, not the worst person… That's a ringing endorsement. If I got him, who did you get?”

She laughed, “Their third roommate, Brett. He's some kind of lawyer, something in DC, woo hoo.”


Jordan was talking to Jared's father, their dad and some guest from out of town, an architect who had projects throughout Indiana. “So, you're using,” and the guest named a company, “for your electrical, and Mike's on your floor?”

Jordan smiled, “Yeah.”

The guest imitated a raspy voice, “Effing half points. I'm gonna kill the guy who came up with half points,” which made Jordan laugh. “Has he broken his streak and had a good night yet?”

“I told Kira,” and they took her hand, “I'm kind of in awe of his commitment to the Bulls despite never winning a single bet. I wish I could be that committed to something.”

Doug said, “You're keeping on him, right Champ? It's not your problem that…”

Kira rolled her eyes and the guest said, “Not to jump in, but he actually is good at his job, if he'd…”

Jordan interrupted him, laughing, “Stop betting, he'd be retired in two years. Dad, he's not a bad sub, just the world's worst gambler. Thank God, the websites don't take credit cards, but I have him under control.”

The guest smiled, “You're a fast learner. Next project I have with you guys, I'm going to ask for you, if that's ok.”

Kira squeezed their hand and then looked at Doug. “Yeah,” Jordan said, “I mean, thanks. I'd like to work with you too.”

“Your kid knows their stuff.” Jordan was still amazed at how everyone here just used they/them without stopping and starting, like it was nothing.

Doug put his arm around them, “I guess they do,” he smiled.

After dinner, Stef and Emily were talking to their grandmother. “So, Stephanie, how nervous are you?”

“Grandma, it's not like we haven't lived together already,” then, “I can't wait for it to finally be done.” This got a raised eyebrow. “I mean, yeah, of course I'm excited and I want everyone to have a great time but it's also like…”

Her grandmother laughed, “I was just playing, Steffie. I went through it once myself, and twice with your mother and aunt. Getting married is exciting, I didn’t want the weddings themselves to end, assuming the other side behaved themselves, dealing with tables and who likes who, thank goodness, I'm done with that. Emily, what about you?”

“What about me what? I'm just a bridesmaid.”

“Are you excited?”

Emily paused, unsure yet if she could trust her. Her heart said yes, her brain remembered the loneliness. Screw that, she thought. “I am, I really am. The dress is really pretty and I've never been a bridesmaid before.”

“I'm sure you'll be perfect. And your mother showed me the picture of you in the dress, you look gorgeous.” She winked at Stef, “Second only to your sister.”

Emily took a breath. “Do you mean that? For real?”.

Her grandmother put her hands on Emily's upper arms. “The outside finally matches the inside,” then, “I told you yesterday, you are, were and will always be my granddaughter. I made a…no, I was wrong, absolutely wrong, I know you don't want to go there and I understand. Just know something, you are my granddaughter and if anyone ever hurts you, they will deal with me, trust me.”

I hope I can, she thought.


Jordan and Kira lay in the afterglow.

“That was a lot of fun tonight,” Kira said, “Jared's parents are so much cooler than mine.”

That's because they're not yours, they thought. Then, “They are. I like that we just were, there, y’know.”

Kira leaned over. “What do you mean ‘were’?”

Jordan thought about how to answer. “Like we were just like every other couple. No one thought twice about it.”

Kira laughed, “You know we've been legal since 2015, right? Why should they treat us differently?”

“They shouldn't. I'm just…”

Kira read their mind. “They are assholes, homophobic, transphobic assholes, but guess what? Who cares? We don't have to deal with them tomorrow. We'll hang out with Jared's side or their friends or whoever.”

Jordan felt their blood pressure rise and then took a breath, “I know, it's just, I can't explain it.”

Kira looked at them, “You don't work with them. You don't live near them. You don't have to deal with them, except maybe holidays and then just ignore them. You're not him.”

Jordan remembered how their mother used to wield that like a sword against them, whenever they failed to live up to her expectations, a moving target they they always missed. “I know that, it's just…”

“It's not just anything, pookie. You're not him, you're not her, you're you,” then laughing, “Em’s her, it's funny.”

Jordan laughed, “Now that she's not in bitch mode,” for now, “you totally see it. Mia calls her little Laura,” then, “I'm worried.”

Kira sighed, “Me too, but we'll be with her and your parents and Liam and Rob and everyone. If I see her get up to go to the bathroom, I'll go with her. Or Jeannie or someone.”

“I hate that…”

Kira ran her fingers through Jordan's fresh buzz, the one even grandma said looked good. “So do I but we can stop them from doing something, we can't stop them from being something. My mom always says that.”

Jordan let out a breath through the”o” of their mouth, “I guess so.”

“I know you want to figure out an answer but there isn't one other than to watch,” then, “who's getting the most trashed?”

They resented the judgment inherent in that. Their cousins were assholes but they still felt judged. Sorry, we can't all be rich and happy like you and Jared, but we're still people, even as they knew their extended family wouldn't reciprocate. “I dunno, probably P.J. or the thot. You know what,” and they paused, choosing their words with care, landing on, “I don't care. You're right, they're them and they're gonna do what they're gonna do. It's not even worth thinking about.”

Kira nodded and smiled, “You're right,” then, “Arden's so funny, so harsh, but so funny.”

They laughed, “I like her and Stef’s college friends. Her friends from home were total stupid bitches,” remembering especially Katie, who called them, ‘him,’ like it was an insult. “I'm just glad none of them were invited,” then, “I'm so happy you're here.”

“Was there ever a chance I wouldn't be,” she teased.

Jordan played with her hair, “I thought about my options.”

She kissed their lips, “True, you could've brought Ronnie or other Kayla, I know how much you like her.”

“That's why I took you,” and they kissed her back, “I mean Ronnie would've made their heads explode, which would've been lit, but I love you and so I figured why not?”

Kira rolled her eyes. “Goodnight, Jordan,” and she kissed them again.

—--

Stef sat on Emily's bed, cross legged, in shorts and a faded Bears t-shirt. “Damn.”

Arden looked at her, “Intellectually, I mean, we knew it would happen eventually, but, yup, 24 hours from now...”

Emily looked at them, “Come on! You guys are amazing together,” then, “are you nervous?”

Stef smiled at her baby sister, her eyes shining with hope, “I'm not nervous, Ems, just more like, huh, this is really happening, like 12 hours from now, we'll all be getting ready and all that.”

Em looked at her, “Uh huh? You love Jared and he loves you, that's all that matters.”

Arden gave her a smile, “You're such a romantic, are you sure you're related? Kidding. I'm just busting on her. She knows how much I love Jared. But still, it's more like well another check off the adult list,” which made Stef laugh. “Do you think Jared's talking about this?”

Stef laughed, “Alex is probably passed out, and Vish would have to stop talking about himself…”

“Why did you put me with him then? He's awful.”

“Because Brooke called Brett, sorry,” she laughed. “He's actually not a total dick.”

Em laughed, “Brooke said he's not the worst person, you say he's not a total dick, wow,” then, “it's fine. It's not like you're setting us up. Like Ar and Alex,” and she grinned, which got a pillow thrown at her.

“Did you guys like your presents?” Stef had bought everyone bracelets with “SN & JG” and the date on a charm.

“They were great,” and Emily looked at her wrist. “I'm so excited for tomorrow.” Stef and Arden smiled at each other. “What?”

Arden laughed, “I don't know about your sister, but I'm just remembering the first time you came to Ann Arbor. It was so cute how nervous you were. What I remember is telling you not to wear the mini to that frat party, you couldn't look like a try-hard.”

Stef, imitating her younger sister, “But I look really cute!”

“I did!”

“And that guy, Brendan…”

“Brian, his name was Brian…”

Arden laughed, “Brian seemed totally fine with you in jeans, he kept checking out your ass.”

Emily remembered the sophomore who picked her up in the airport and invited them to a frat party, how nervous she was that he'd realize who she was, but he didn't and it gave her a glimmer of hope, of normality. “Stop…” She played with the collar on the big Blackhawks t-shirt Duncan had let her wear, that hung to her knees and that she stole when she visited him. It was bittersweet but she would curl up her knees under it and remember how it was.

“Teasing, Emmy,” Stef laughed, “but you were totally flirting with him all night, the way you’d smile and get all giggly. I was like, ‘I guess she's been paying attention.’”

Em gave a sly smile, “Not all night, I mean I did make out with him.”

Arden gave her a high five, then, “Oh yeah, we totally saw you.”

“Why didn't you say anything?”

Stef looked at her, “I was watching my baby sister grow up, and you were so happy, I wouldn't tease you,” then, laughing, “So how was he?”

Em laughed, “There's a reason we fell out of touch.”

Stef yawned, “I'm gonna go to my room and sleep.”

Em looked at her, “I can sleep in your room, if you want to stay here.”

Stef kissed her cheek, “I'm right through that door,” they had gotten adjoining rooms, “if I need you, you'll know.”

Em gave her a big hug. “You're the best big sister, I love you and I love Jared and I'm so, so excited for tomorrow.”

Arden looked at a Stef and winked, “I think she's more excited than you.”

“No! Shut up, Arden!”

Stef thought about playing. “I love you, Emmy. I'm excited too.”

up
72 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Cute

A very uplifting chapter in the saga! Emily IS adorable :)

Total Conversation

joannebarbarella's picture

I can just imagine all that give and take between the women. You really do it well, and Yay! Emily's getting acceptance.