What’s It’s Like for A Girl Book 2 Chapter 7

Printer-friendly version

“So, did you two have fun last night?” Mr. Collins looks at Max and Greg as they bagged up a bunch of leaves.

“Yes sir.” Max liked holding Brandi’s hand and kissing her afterward.

A smile appears on Greg’s face. He had fun with Cindy and was hoping to see her again this Friday coming up.

“So, have you decided what you two want to do with your life after high school?” Mr. Collins looks at his son and Max.

Greg looks at his father “I figured, I would work for you Dad, and take over the lawn service when you retired.”

“How about you, Max? Have you decided what you would like to do after high school?” Mr. Collins knew at one time Max wanted to be a professional swimmer. But lately, with all the new laws being passed to prevent people like Max from competing. She might have to do something different.

“I don’t know, Mr. Collins. With the way things are changing, I have to come up with something different.” Max knew she couldn’t continue swimming anymore.

“You could always study law or something to help people like you out, Max.” Mr. Collins has been noticing how a lot of states and even their own were going after transgender children.

He felt that the government shouldn’t be passing laws taking away the rights of the parents to decide what was right for their children. If a parent is concerned about the health of their child and how their child feels. It’s the parent’s job to do what they can to get the help the child wants or needs. Not the government telling them what they can or can’t do.

“I’ve never been able to argue my point to anyone, Mr. Collins.” Max knew she wasn’t cut out to be a lawyer.

“Well, there has to be something you're good at, besides swimming.” Mr. Collins has known Max since Max and Greg were in elementary school.

“You should think about what you want to do Max. Before long you and Greg will be graduating high school.”

“I know Mr. Collins. Since I can’t swim anymore or play on any softball team unless it’s a boys’ team. I’ll have some free time on my hands.”

Max didn’t want to play softball on any boys’ team. First off, she would feel weird playing on a boy's team and secondly, she knew the guys would feel weird having her on the team. What she was going to do now, is still a mystery.

“Well, you and Greg going to be sophomores this school year. This is when you should decide what you want to do and start lining up the classes you’ll need.

“Thanks, Mr. Collins for the advice.” Max hadn’t thought about what she wanted to do.

The three of them finished up the job they were doing. They finish cleaning up everything and putting the tools away. Once they are done, Mr. Collins drives back to his house, so Max can pick up her scooter.

By the time Max gets home, she could smell stew cooking. She walked into the kitchen and spotted her mother cooking.

“Hi, Mom.” Max walks over and hugs her.

Laura looks up when she hears Max’s voice. She was in the process of cutting up some herbs.

“Hey, sweetie.” As she returns the hug.

“Dinner smells good.” Max pulls a spoon out to taste it.

“Thanks. How was your day?” Laura watches Max as she dips the spoon into the stew.

“It was okay. Mr. Collins suggested that Greg and I should think about what we want to do after high school.

“He’s right. I know you had your heart on getting a sports scholarship for swimming. But since things are changing this year for you. Have you decided what you might want to do instead?”

“No ma’am.” Max watches as her mother finishes chopping the fresh herbs and adds them to the stew.

“You should, sweetie. Do you know what you want to do after high school?” Laura looks at her daughter as she stirs the stew.

“No ma’am. I have no idea what I want to do after high school. Mr. Collins suggested I should become a lawyer.” Max looks at her mother.

“That’s a good suggestion, sweetie. With the way things are going having a lawyer that is transgender representing others like yourself is a good
thing.” Laura figures her daughter would make a good lawyer.

“But I have never been able to argue my point about anything, Mom.”

Laura looks at her daughter “Are you sure?”

“Yes ma’am.”

“So, you weren’t able to convince me that you were serious about being who you are?” Laura looks at Max with a questionable look on her face.

“So, you think I should become a lawyer, Mom?” Max looks at her mother with a puzzled look on her face.

“Yes, I do, sweetie. I think you would make a good lawyer.” Laura thinks her daughter would do well as a lawyer.

“Hhmm.” A thoughtful look appears on her face.

“Now, go and clean up for dinner.”

“Yes ma’am.” Max kisses her mother’s cheek, before walking out.

Max walks upstairs to her bedroom and changes her clothes. She’ll take a shower after dinner when she gets ready for bed. She looks over towards her hamper and figures she’ll have to do laundry by Thursday or she could do it tomorrow after she swims some laps.

Once Max is changed, she heads downstairs and starts setting the table. She knew her sister’s girlfriend would be joining them for dinner. Her mother wanted to know more about her sister’s girlfriend. A smile appears on her face as she thinks about the fact that her mother will have three daughters, should her sister marry her girlfriend.

After setting the table, Max helps her mother bring everything in. The table was almost set when Debbie and Donna walked into the dining room.

“This looks nice.” Debbie liked how the table was set up.

“Thanks.” Max looks at her sister and Debbie with a smile on her face.

“Come on girls, let’s sit down and enjoy dinner.” Laura walks into the dining room with a large bowl of stew.

Everyone sits down at the table for dinner.

up
56 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos