Tammy: Rank Stupidity - Chapter 1

Printer-friendly version
Rank Stupidity  

Tammyverse Book 14

 

Rank Stupidity
 
Chapter 1 of 5
Situation Normal?
 
 
Shiraz & Snowfall © 2023

 

 
Tammyverse Book 14 - Rank Stupidity
 
Note. This story is set in 2018, prior to the passing of Queen Elizabeth. This is a work of fiction but a number of real people, places, and institutions are mentioned in fictitious circumstances. In short it's a story!

 
 
Chapter 1 – Situation Normal?

Tammy was smiling as she returned to the University of the Highlands & Islands on Tuesday, May Day, having survived her first day without incident.

She had wondered whether the new, lighter, atmosphere in the classroom on Monday had been due to the shock that the university managers had finally acted against the disruptive element in her class. Although Tammy had been a repeat, regular, victim, she wasn’t the only one. The final straw had been the vexatious accusation of infidelity that had caused both Tammy and Ben to be suspended two months earlier.

Certainly it was quieter without the antagonists. The previous coven of witches had been reduced to two girls and a feminine boy who were definitely followers not leaders. During the previous afternoon this trio had individually had been called out of class, returning silently without any spring in their step. Before that day was out several more students had also been called from the class.

The remainder of the class were pulled out every twenty minutes on Tuesday morning leaving Tammy until last, just before lunch. This time there were no giggles, snide remarks or outright nastiness as she left the classroom. Indeed, it was already apparent that Ben had fully regained command of his class.

She checked her phone as she walked up one flight of stairs towards the executive suites, finding an anonymous missed call, probably the least useful type of communication.

Her destination was the usual Vice Chancellor’s room, but a different face greeted her.

“Good afternoon Miss Smart, or would you prefer Captain Smart?”

“Hello, Sir, I have always attended the university as a civilian so there’s no need for any military titles.”

Tammy took a seat facing the man. Across the table from her was a senior lecturer she’d seen before but this was the first time they had spoken. Tammy guessed he’d also been newly promoted, perhaps temporarily?

“I’ll note that, in case of confusion. Let me introduce myself, my name is Vince Freeman and I’m acting Vice Chancellor. Now, I must ask if you are recording this conversation?”

“I haven’t, so far, thought it necessary to use that facility, Sir.”

“Thank you. In view of recent events we have revised privacy and complaint policies so I’d just like to make sure you understand how this affects this establishment. As of yesterday, if you want to use a recording during a complaints process then you must inform the other party, or parties, at the start of the meeting.”

Tammy went to speak but he held his hand up.

“I understand that you, in particular, have had to use recordings to protect yourself from bullying and potential legal endangerment so there is an allowance for that on the condition that you inform the chancellor’s office immediately or the next working day in extremis.”

“That is acceptable.”

“Good, thank you, it was clear that a strict policy would probably work against you.”

“I have more than myself to protect, Sir. As you should know I run a successful property business and separately I quietly assist in the defence of Crown and Country. Neither of those should impact adversely on my studies here but it is clear that whilst I want to study, others have taken it unto themselves to deny me that. Such issues can and will have an impact outside this building. I try to resolve such matters myself but sometimes my friends become involved. I made some new friends recently.”

“That is understandable and we hope that by dealing with the local protagonists we will have made your studies a safer environment. Meanwhile we have tried to establish a better understanding of your extra-curricula activities and where the boundaries lie.”

“Which means you can be more flexible when I am called up for duty or training?”

“Yes, in one respect, but we would also have to evaluate your ability to catch up. The two must work in tandem.”

“I see.”

“I would imagine that you are aware that there is a great deal of interest in London regarding your studies?”

“Yes.”

“I was told you had tea with Her Majesty recently?”

“We did, and that was following a recent military deployment.”

“Protecting members of the Royal Family?”

“I’m sorry, sir, but I cannot divulge anything. I also doubt whether my name would have been in any press releases. Can you perhaps also imagine, for a moment, what certain folk would do if they suspected that I had access to the Royal Family? I don’t as it happens, but it’s a known fact that if you give out just one piece of so-called secret information then you can expect reams of conspiracy theories to follow. That impacts here, as well as my partner, family, friends and business.”

“Ah, your partner. I take it that she’s not a student here?”

“She isn’t.”

“Can you clarify one matter though, you said a month ago that you would be asking for maternity leave? Does this mean you are pregnant?”

“I believe that question may be borderline improper, sir, but no, I’m not. Please tell me the relevance?”

“My predecessor had queried and highlighted it, suggesting that might be the case. I’m sorry if this upsets you but we are picking our way through facts and half-truths.”

“You could have asked my solicitor? In any case, is your predecessor going to return to taunt me?”

“As far as I know, Miss Smart, he isn’t. So far as contacting your solicitor, that’s an option but I’d like to keep this friendly were possible.”

“Okay, I will inform you if my personal circumstances change enough to disrupt my studies – is that acceptable?”

“That is, in fact it’s required by all students and staff. Now, I have asked every other student whether they have any concerns or issues that I should be aware of. As you will know we have a zero tolerance policy.”

Tammy laughed. “That seems to be a very selective policy from my point of view?”

“There are two sides to every incident, Miss Smart, and we mustn’t prejudge the issue until we have examined the circumstances.”

“Ben and myself were suspended whilst those witches were able to stay in class! That’s not a fair and balanced approach!”

“I don’t necessarily agree with how that was handled Miss Smart, but I must say that our policies are not selective – every student is covered.”

“Forgive me, but I’ll need evidence that is the case.”

“I understand that you are reticent, but I can promise you that you will be treated no different to any other student.”

“Good. Is that all?”

“It is, thank you for your time, Miss Smart. Oh, one more thing?”

Tammy had already stood. “Yes?”

“How would you describe your relationship with Ben Franklin?”

“In one word, ‘professional’. I know plenty about his life before he started working here and Ben knows plenty about mine before I was a student. For what it’s worth, I met his wife before I met him when I was still at school. Familiarity does not, however, imply contempt or favouritism. By mutual consent we keep our relationship professional.”

“Thank you for the clarification.”

“I believe it’s worth adding, Sir, that the Highlands are socially small so mine and Ben’s circles have intersected several times over the past three to four years. My guess is that other members of staff will be connected to students but those relationships have never been disclosed, where as myself and Ben have been fully open about a potential conflict of interest.”

“Thank you, Miss Smart.”

The VC now stood and offered his hand to Tammy; they shook before she left the room, with the lunch bell starting to ring.

Tammy wasn’t needed for the afternoon and wouldn’t be back before Thursday for more structured revision.

She cycled into town noting the freshly arrived grey clouds and parked her bike in the office stairwell, against the stairlift. It wasn’t strictly legal if they needed to evacuate using the upper floor’s only fire exit but there was a greater risk to Tammy’s bike if she’d left her bike chained up outside.

She exited into the street and walked back towards the bakery so collect a sandwich. Back at the office she squeezed past her bike and climbed the stairs.

“Oh there was a call on the office phone for you, someone in Aberdeen was asking for you by rank. The name and number are on the pad over there.”

Tammy spotted the information laying on her desk, she picked it up rather than sitting there.

“Thanks Joey, I best have lunch first. Anything else?”

“Nothing I couldn’t handle.”

Tammy took took herself across the room and munched her sandwich before placing the call.

“Gordon Medical.”

“Hello, it’s Captain Smart of Broadsword, I missed a call from Major Dearing?”

“I’ll find her Ma’am.”

That took a minute.

“Dearing?”

“Good afternoon, Major, I’m Captain Smart, returning your call?”

“Yes, a civilian answered the phone?”

“My office assistant, I’m calling from my business premises. I take it that you called my mobile number as well?”

“Yes, ah well, it concerns your Lieutenant.”

“Lizzie Harrison? What’s up with her?”

“Are you aware that we did a full medical on her a week ago?”

“I am, my Colonel ordered it.”

“We checked her hormone levels and it has thrown up an anomaly. We need to verify it but the preliminary diagnosis is borderline Partial Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome.”

“I’ve heard of this, would it explain her overtly feminine features?”

“It would. This diagnosis also means that we need to be very careful with any hormone treatment. I understand a civvie GP issued the current prescription?”

“Yes, my GP in Thurso issued the prescription but she also gave Flight Lieutenant Harrison a fasting blood test, I expect that the results will be on the NHS database. For information, my GP has been cleared in the past.”

“With respect, Captain, you should both be seeing a medical unit on base?”

“I would, Ma’am, if I lived on a base but I am very much a mobile asset, and live at home when not needed. As it is, I had a full medical a month ago, courtesy of a Royal Navy medic, at a NATO establishment. Whilst the Flight Lieutenant was also at that location she wasn’t given a medical, my GP did that a few days later prior to giving her HRT. There was insufficient time prior to the deployment but I asked my Colonel if we could arrange a military medical once we were all back in the UK. That request ended up with yourselves.”

“I see.”

“With hindsight, Major, would this diagnosis have prevented her deployment?”

“No, but it’s sloppy management.”

“Her management has been undefined, until recently the Flight Lieutenant was still attached to the RAF and not under my command. That has since been corrected, although she retains her RAF rank. With respect, Major, I believe I have addressed these matters at the earliest opportunity. Meanwhile, the CAA will soon demand their own health screening before her civilian licence can be issued. Is there any reason why she wouldn’t pass their tests?”

“No, none, although I still don’t understand why the RAF couldn’t undertake this training?”

“The RAF can’t currently provide the complex training that is required for the Flight Lieutenant, and that need has been decided by officers above my pay grade, Major. Is it possible for me to receive a copy of her medical report?”

“Of course, do you have secure email?”

Tammy read out the address. “A copy to my colonel as well please. I don’t have access here but I’ll pick that up at home.”

“Understood. Thank you Captain.”

“Thank you Major.”

Tammy ended the call and picked up the rest of her sandwich but now found a secure message on her phone from Commander Geoff Traeger.

“The Kiwi has landed.”

That brought a smile to Tammy’s face but that was now the second time Kyle Fielding had been removed to New Zealand, so was it the last time they would see him? She doubted it.

Another message arrived.

“He went ballistic once the handcuffs were removed and is currently in detention pending a hearing in front of a magistrate on Thursday. Three police officers were injured, one seriously.”

“Damn, he’s insane!”

“Who, Tammy?”

“No-one you’ve met, thankfully.”

“But I guess you have?”

“Er, yes, Joey, but I walked away from our last two encounters and he didn’t. I just hope I’ll never see him again.”

The office phone started ringing so Tammy decided it was a good time to exit.

She reached home ten minutes later, by which time it had started raining. Tammy was somewhat damp by the time she made it through the rear door. A panel was flashing “call”.

“Great! What have I done?”

The display changed to “Coffee first”.

Tammy sighed, at least that probably meant this wasn’t urgent, whatever it was. She dropped her bag on the worktop and filled the kettle. She’d considered a dedicated coffee machine but she’d spent so much time out of the country, or at least away from home, that it wouldn’t get enough use to justify the expense. She did, however, have a bag of beans, a cafetière and the necessary equipment to make a good coffee at a strength of her own choosing. She sipped the hot black liquid, thankful for the instant hit, before trudging up to the office.

She’d just enabled the secure phone when it rang, saving her the trouble of placing a call.

“Smart.”

“Hi Tammy. Can you pass us Harrison’s medical?”

“Sure, Krystel, but why?”

“If she’s working with you, we need to know she’s medically clear. She wasn't available for full medical or fitness assessments when she was here. We have your and Maisie’s reports, but not her's.”

“Okay, I haven’t checked my emails yet but I’ll send that over.”

“Cool. Now to real business; we've received the True Freedom report from London. It's a fucking mess!”

“I know, I was in the thick of it!”

“Don’t take this wrong, but you're going to have to do something about that sister of yours. She is a liability.”

“I know, and that’s on a long list of local issues that I’m working through. College appears to be back on schedule.”

“That’s good, you want the background on this new Vice Chancellor?”

“Is that necessary?”

“Under the circumstances, Tammy, yes. We have a recording of that conversation here if you need it?”

“I told him I wasn’t recording, so no.”

“Okay. Do your thing, report as usual, call if you need anything.”

“Will do. Anything else?”

"Yes." Kimberly's voice came over. "Youtube and the other socials are bad for you, continue to stay off them. Thank you."

"Yes Ma'am. Thistle Maiden; out."

Tammy ended the call then fired up her laptop to check emails. That took a few minutes as she loaded the secure operating system. Several passwords and authentication layers later, she was in.

The upshot of Lizzie’s report was that the Flight Lieutenant needed to be monitored and that her dosage would be adjusted if necessary. Tammy already knew that her GP, Dr Adelaide Sutherland, had prescribed Lizzie three months of low dosage estrogen, but that had been seven weeks back so a decision about the next prescription would be needed soon. She contemplated calling Lizzie later, but couldn’t be certain if she had been informed of the diagnosis yet.

She called Traeger and brought him up to date. He had one question.

“Is she fit for duty?”

“Oh yes; no question of that, but she’ll be monitored closely in case her circumstances change.”

“I see. I’d like to speak to the lieutenant personally?”

“She’s training five days a week in Aberdeen. I’ve put her in an apartment for the time being.”

“I’m aware, I’ll arrange to stay at the local barracks. I’ll see you on Saturday, with your Sergeant, in uniform.”

The call ended.

Tammy banged the desk, was Traeger going to be just like Marcus Wade?

She needed to deal with the logistics, regardless. She first called Smart Air at Wick Airport, fleet manager Jim Surtees answered.

“It’s Tammy, I’ll need a plane for the weekend?”

“The Epic is booked for a golf tournament from tomorrow morning.”

“Understood, the two seater should be enough for the pair of us. I’ll need it for Friday afternoon.”

“Okay, Tammy, we should be able to sort it by Friday, how far are you going?”

“Only to Aberdeen, but is there an issue?”

“There’s a restriction on AV gas, the regular Monday tanker failed to reach the airport and it’s now due on Thursday, the same time as the other regular tanker. As soon as that’s available we’ll be able to fuel it for your return flight and a little spare. Anything else and you’ll have to top it up at Aberdeen.”

“Thanks Jim.”

Next, Tammy booked herself and Maisie into the same Travelodge they had used a week or so earlier whilst getting Lizzie’s apartment ready. Maisie’s father, Thomas, was also at the apartment, to keep an eye on Lizzie.

Once that was all done Tammy retreated to the basement with her revision notes.

-o-

She emerged a few hours later and started to think about dinner. Tammy was firmly back on her diet, her fitness levels had dropped since her return from the island, not helped by their captivity in central London whilst their enemies had been rounded up. One key person remained outstanding, William Burgess, formerly a member of the House of Lords and a Knight of the Realm but now a wanted civilian.

There had been no news about Burgess for over a week, probably two, when he was reported to be in Norway. Right now he could be anywhere, even Scotland, and Tammy wasn’t allowed to hunt him.

She found a few fresh ingredients in the fridge and set about putting a healthy meal together, but Maisie would get more carbs than Tammy.

The girl returned at six, wrapping herself around her partner. “I had a call from that Commander!”

“Me too, Maisie, I’ve booked a plane.”

“So you agreed?”

“I don’t think we have any choice, but I can use the opportunity to remind him that we have real lives?”

“Yeah, we can be back here Saturday night?”

“Sure.”

“Good, I don’t want to upset this new group. You should join us, you don’t get enough exercise?”

“I’ll think about it. Dinner’s almost ready.”

That earned Tammy a kiss. “Put it on hold.”

“You’re kidding?”

“I’ve not pushed you for the last few days, but you’re overdue a heavy work out.”

“Seriously, Maisie?”

“Yes. Get into your running gear, we’re heading out.”

Tammy looked out of the window, dusk had arrived.

“Tomorrow?”

“Now! Get changed.”

“Yes, boss.”

They spent an hour pounding the streets, down one hill and up another. It wasn’t the heaviest work-out that Maisie could offer but Tammy’s fitness had waned since their return from Rams’ Rock Island and exercise facilities were extremely limited during their effective lockdown in the Royal Guest Quarters.

“One more time!”

Tammy didn’t have the energy to argue so kept going. Her muscles were complaining badly, but her fitness was not negotiable.

“No gain without pain, no gain without pain.”

Thankfully Maisie didn’t order another circuit. They arrived indoors as Tammy’s mobile rang.

“I had plans this weekend!”

“Cancel them, Lizzie!”

“Jeremy was taking me out for the day.”

“Oh, you are still seeing him?”

“Yes, Tammy, I am. I can hardly ignore him when he’s doing the same fixed wing training as me?”

“Okay, I best have his details?”

“Why?”

“To make certain he is who he says he is, otherwise you are at risk.”

“I can cope.”

“No Lizzie, you can’t. I could make this an order, all of it, but then I would have to make a note in your permanent record.”

“Okay, he’s Jeremy Bates. His birthday was last Sunday so we had a meal together.”

“April 29th then, what year?”

“I don’t know, I think he’s a year older than me, so that makes him 23?”

“Address?”

“I don’t know, he’s always collected me, and I’ve never been to his house?”

“So he could be married?”

“Oh?”

“We’ll deal with this one step at a time. You’ll have to say you are busy from Friday night onwards. I want to do a full course evaluation with you. On Saturday we’re at the barracks in full uniform so make certain it’s laundered and pressed, Lieutenant!”

“Sunday?”

“We have something else planned.”

“But …?”

“No, Lizzie, just remember that Maisie and myself are both losing our weekends as well. For information, I’ve had one weekend off since March!”

“Yeah, okay, okay.”

“Good, I’ll see you Friday afternoon.”

Tammy killed the call.

Whilst she still had her phone in hand she sent Jeremy Bates’ details to Traeger asking if he could run a background check on the lad. He called her.

“Why ask me?”

“Because I don’t have an office I can pass this to, without breaking protocol.”

“You should use the team at Catterick, that’s where I am most of the time now.”

“I would have done but I’ve been there twice and Marcus couldn’t wait to get me off the base!”

“You should report there tomorrow for a tour.”

“With respect, Sir, I don’t have the time right now. I’m playing catch-up after the deployment, plus the pre-deployment briefing and the post-deployment debriefings. I have had one weekend to myself, and Maisie, in the past seven weeks.”

“That’s an attitude that needs to change, Smart.”

“I resign.”

She killed the call and switched off her phone.

“Did I just hear that correctly, Tammy?”

“Yes, Maisie, but I know he won’t accept it.”

“Why?”

“I didn’t give it to him in writing, in triplicate.”

“True. What will he do?”

“Complain to the Colonel.”

“Just keep me out of it, please.”

“Will do, but it’s going to be out of my hands.”

“Oh, I had a call from your father, could you visit them?”

“Will do.”

“Seven o’clock tomorrow, for dinner.”

“I detect Joan’s hand at work.”

“Probably, and I heard that Suzie has arrived. She’s been ordered to take a week off.”

“Oh, great. Anything else?”

“I’m due in Glasgow next week, they’ll try again.”

“Okay, put it in the diary and I’ll make myself available.”

“I can take Joey with me, she was there last time.”

“I’d rather be there myself?”

“Sure, but it’s probably out of your hands?”

“Knowing my luck right now, that’s a real possibility. Okay, how about dinner?”

“Shower first.”

“It’s nearly eight o’clock!”

Maisie kissed her. “Shower!”

“Yes, boss.”

Shiraz on Kindle

Alecia Snowfall on Kindle

up
300 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Yay!

Great to see a new addition!

Yay! Evidently today is a good day. Tammy is back.

WillowD's picture

I know my memory sucks but I'm trying to remember when Joey found out (as opposed to guessed) that Tammy had a military rank. I do remember Tammy telling Joey she had tea with the Queen. Of course, Joey didn't believe her.

I am wondering if Krystal recorded the conversation in the Vice Chancellor's office via Tammy's phone. Knowing Krystal she could have used the Vice Chancellor's phone instead.

And, yay, today is a good day to read. Thank you Shiraz and Snowfall.

i resign

yeah, that'll go over like a lead balloon. very smart, okay sorry, move on her part to turn the phone off, not that it'll do more to piss him off. i thought he may be a bit sharper knowing a bit of her backstory, not a cover, and her history, especially since he has been around when she's working. maybe he's under orders, but that doesn't rule out tact and courtesy. other officers can resign their commission and exit, and she's not even actually enlisted, so should theoretically be square, but i'll bet the whole world shows up at her doors in the middle of the night,clamoring for her head. bet paul laughs till he's sick upon hearing it......he did just go off on most of the brits involved anywhere near her chain of command. hmmmmm, other than their retribution, does she even actually need the brits? they seem to be the cause of 99 percent of her troubles. paul's bunch could give her a legit nato pass, or interpol. they probably hand them out like candy anyway. they could probably get her am mi6 or 5 pass that would even get her into the bldgs. a flag on inquiries about her could be re-routed direct to oica, even phone calls knowing Kris and Kim.

Gratitude

joannebarbarella's picture

Is the shortest lived of human emotions, at least when Tammy is on the receiving end.

Good to see her back!

Gratitude?

It's like "what have you done for me lately?" 1 oh,crap moment overrules the latest 50 "atta boy"s. I actually had a lieutenant call me at home, on my day off to yell at me about something one of the guys did. I hung up on him. After the third call, he inquired why I kept hanging up. I told him if he was gonna chew, he could do it when I was on the clock.of course, I was on late shift so he would have to come in very early or late at night to see me, or pay me overtime, and I can tune out for anyone. Hurt his feelings.

Traeger

Another officer with a steep learning curve ahead of him.
If Kyle manages to get released this time then there's something rotten in the state of New Zealand. ;-)
Kyle probably thinks that police officers loooovve to get attacked and injured. Maybe they'll request Tammy as his personal handler next time he'll be moved. :-)
Hmm, what to about Tammy's sister? I know: tickle her until she promises to be a good girl (with threats of repeat performances if she's not).
>“One more time!”
It looks like Maisie turns into Tammy's personal torturer. O.O

Thx for another nice chapter^^

Nice

To see the new chapter and promise of 4 more. Hope they're lengthy ones! Been waitin' so long. Thank you Shiraz and Snowfall!

Marcus v2.0

Tammy may have a new boss, but now they're back to what passes as normality in Tammy's life, it sounds at though he's just as boneheaded as Marcus and also can't get his head around the concept of her being a civilian, with military ranks primarily for convenience, a university course to attend and an estate agent's business to run (never mind theatre productions and occasional St. Andrews business!), instead thinking of her as a conventional fully enlisted individual who'd be at his beck and call 24/7, no questions asked.

Besides which, a guided tour of Catterick can be done at any time, she's needed for an extended family dinner the following day (Wednesday), with Suzie in attendance (perhaps it was hinted she didn't spend her week off in London, or her attendance has been requested at Dunbankin' [impending Big Announcement or am I reading too much into it?]), then on Friday she's travelling down to Aberdeen to catch up with Lizzie before all three present themselves before Traeger.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Tammyverse

Robyn B's picture

I understand that there would be a schedule for publishing new chapters in this terrific story.

The next chapters cannot come soon enough.

I have lost count of how many times I have read the entire story of Tammy and enjoy the whole story just as much as Death's Own Daughter by WolfJess.

Keep up the good work and don't let anything stop you from posting more chapters...

Robyn B
Sydney

Lizzie's RAF/Army Rank.

Lizzie Harrison appears to have a rank discrepancy. Her RAF rank is Flight Lieutenant(Left-tenant). In the RN, she'd be a Lieutenant & in the
British Army, she'd be a Captain. Yet Tammy is her superior, although she's been a Captain less time than Lizzie has been a Flight Lieutenant, whilst Lizzie appears to have been demoted to Lieutenant, equivalent to a Flying Officer...? British Forces use Land Rover Defenders not Jeeps. The SA330 Puma received a Glass Cockpit & various Mechanical Upgrades in the Mid 2010's.

ATJones