Summer's Current: Witch Corps and Beyond 16-19

Printer-friendly version


Summer's Current:
Witch Corps and Beyond

Antarran Redemption Hat.jpg

 

Chapter 16


 
 
Locust to Chance. Pegasus is underway. ETA to FeLane is eight standard hours. See you then. In the mean time don’t do anything I wouldn’t do. Locust out.
“Chance to Kitty, Porno, Perfessor, Kitten, and Princess. Meeting in my suite at sixteen hundred. Alert the others. Chance out.” I relayed as Gretchen looked at me with worry.
Pegasus is on the way for a pick-up. We’ll go straight to Antarra from here.” I told her to ease her concern.
It didn’t work.
“I… I didn’t think it would arrive so soon… our return to our home…”
“You’ll be fine, sweetie.” I comforted before I noticed Kimbou Serangetti approaching.
“My Lady. I assume Her Majesty has exited this chamber with the Prime Minister?” He asked while standing to attention.
Of course I glared daggers at him for doing so.
“Yeah, she and Tua popped out just a few minutes ago. What’s up?”
“My Lady, the treasonous ones have all been apprehended and incarcerated per Her Majesty’s order.”
“Then that report should be given to the First Princess as per required protocol, Captain Serangetti. Why waste your time with a Commoner like me?” I smiled and winked.
Kimbou glared at me a moment then swallowed hard as he looked around for his mate. He skimmed right over the ‘newly-arrived’, athletic, short brown-haired, Antarran woman without a thought. “The First Princess does not seem to be available, My Lady.”
I was very glad that Sonya was outside hearing range given the ambient noise still present in the chamber!
“Then follow alternate protocol, Captain.” I advised, my eyes motioning to Lyra and Greer.
Kimbou swallowed nervously again, took a breath, stood tall, and approached his daughter. This was the first time he had ever needed to ‘report’ to his daughter on official business- and it was a good thing Aunt Cora, Link, Christina, and Simone had guided Sonya away from any ‘impending royal catastrophe’.
“P-Princess Lyra,” Kimbou started and seemed to be having a hard time relating himself to the fact his daughter out-ranked him royally, “since I cannot locate Princess Sonya, I am obliged to report to you that all dissidents have been incarcerated as per Her Majesty’s order. Are there any further orders, My Princess?”
Lyra looked stunned for a moment, but quickly collected herself. “No further orders have been communicated to me by Her Majesty, Popp… Captain. Thank you and carry on.”
“Very good, Princess Lyra. Good Day to you and Princess Greer.”
Kimbou bowed, turned crisply, and walked back my way.
“Now was that so hard, sir?” I asked quietly as I noticed Lyra’s beaming smile.
Greer looked absolutely stunned!
“It was one of the hardest things I’ve ever had to do, Chance.” He admitted.
“Really, Kimbou?” I asked not believing him as I raised an eyebrow.
“Actually… Asking Sonya if she’d join with me was the absolute hardest thing I’ve ever done, Chance. I couldn’t sleep for a week before and after I asked for her hand.” He admitted as he adjusted his suddenly snug uniform collar.
Pegasus is on her way for pick up, sir.” I told him, hoping to relieve some of his stress. “I called for a meeting in my suite at sixteen hundred.”
“I’ll be there, Chance, thanks.” He began to walk away.
“Oh, and Captain?”
“My Lady?”
“Very good work today, Capt. Serangetti. Her Majesty and her royal court are in excellent hands.” I smiled when he turned back to face me.
“Thank you, High Priestess.” He replied as he stood to attention. His address of me just happened to coincide with a lull in noise and conversation within the huge Parliamentary chamber.
A loud gasp echoed through the chamber; Serangetti instantly looked horrified!
Shit.
“Any of you have a problem with that?” I shouted my challenge to those still milling around.
Applause, cheering, and whistling rang through Parliament!
What the hey; I took a bow. Mom would do the same. No reason to break tradition!
“I am deeply embarrassed, Chance! I should know better by this point in our professional relationship.”
I just shrugged. “Eh, it happens. No biggie, sir.”
It was then that the tall, proud Royal Guardsman and Captain of the Mare De Tempest noticed five Antarrans standing and talking amongst themselves at a distance. Gretchen was still next to me though.
“Chance? Why are there now six in the Antarran delegation when I know Lady Christina only transported five out of my ready room?
The lightbulb finally went off and Kimbou rushed over to them.
I popped Gretchen and I over beside Aunt Cora to hear the fallout.
“Princess Sonya? Is that you, my mate,” Kimbou asked just above a whisper, looking rather pale as he glanced worriedly around us?
“It is. I’ve volunteered to portray our queen’s incognito while on Ancient Antarra. We are testing my resilience to the disguise’s transformation. Lady Christina was worried about my loss of self from her magicks.”
Kimbou straightened.
“Princess Sonya, the treasonous ones have been apprehended and incarcerated per Her Majesty’s order.” He reported in a hushed voice.
“So file your status report with the second Princess in line, Capt. Serangetti! I’m not exactly looking like a Lynxin Princess at the moment am I?” She growled in annoyance.
‘Actually, she never did look like a princess… acting though? Well, she had that part down to a science.’ I thought to myself.
Christina looked my way with a knowing grin.
“When I could not find you among the representatives or guests I did follow protocol and alerted Princess Lyra, and by proximity, Princess Greer, my lady. So… if you will excuse me I will now seek out my quarters and nurse the monumental headache I seem to be developing. By your leave, ladies?”
Kimbou Serangetti bowed courteously and walked away at a brisk stride.
“I’ve never seen Poppy so… so disconcerted! I really feel bad for him.” Lyra said as her sad eyes followed her father out of the Parliamentary chamber.
“You should have seen him when he proposed our bond.” Sonya mumbled with an evil expression.
Yeah, Sonya was still Sonya.
“See you guys in my suite.” I said before popping into my permanent quarters at the Royal Residence here in Capital.
“Um… was I to be brought along, Chance?” Gretchen asked from beside me as she looked around at our new surroundings.
“I can transport you back over to Parliament if you really want me to.” I grinned.
“Ummm… the furniture looks pretty comfortable, mind if I stretch out and close my eyes for a few, Chance?” She answered evasively.
“A better idea would be for you to stroll into my spare bedroom and take a ‘catnap’… We are on the Lynxin homeworld after all.” I grinned pleasantly.
Gretchen rolled her eyes while she shook her head and disappeared through the spare bedroom’s door.
 
 

Chapter 17


 
 
“Get some sleep?” I asked Gretchen Norwood as she appeared in my spare bedroom’s opening doorway.
“My headache isn’t as bad as it was when I went in, Chance, but I don’t expect that to ease. How long was I out?”
“About six hours. It’s almost sixteen hundred. Our guests will start arriving any minute.”
“So I guess no time to freshen up?” Gretchen asked and sighed then thought of something and snapped her fingers. A new outfit appeared on her. Her hair also changed style and her makeup looked freshly done.
“Someone’s been paying attention.” I smiled as I motioned to the mirror on the wall off to our left.
Gretchen seemed happy with her handiwork.
I felt the room increase occupancy by one.
“Come on in, Christina. Have a seat and make yourself comfortable.” I said without even turning around. When I did, Christina had already claimed a spot on one of my sofas.
“How did you know, Chance?” Gretchen asked, fascinated by my ‘ability’ to sense the Goddess’ arrival.
I shrugged.
“So, sister, I hear you’re having second thoughts about returning to your true time period.” Christina wasted no time.
“After seeing all this? Then being required to return to… what we know? You have to ask, Christina?” Gretchen responded.
“She will do fine, sister.” Savanna said having materialized to my immediate right.
I turned and pulled my daughter into a tight, welcoming embrace.
“Long time no see, Munchkin.”
“Mother, I think I’ve outgrown that nickname.”
“Am I, your father, and your grandparents still alive?” I attacked playfully.
“Mom…”
“Then you haven’t outgrown anything, Munchkin.” I laughed.
Simone, Link, and Aunt Cora were the next to arrive, but through the front door.
“So where’d you lose Sonya?” I asked, hoping they didn’t say what I expected.
“Capt. Serangetti caught us just outside the Parliament Building and ‘asked’ if he could take Lady Sonya on a tour of the Royal Residence. We expected to see them here already.” Simone reported as she went to close my suite’s door.
“They’ll be here.” Christina guaranteed with a devious smile and a playful wink.
“That only makes me worry more, Christina! What have you done now?” I asked cautiously.
“HALT! I need to see proper identification!” A deep voice shouted from out in the hallway leading to my suite.
Of course I rolled my eyes as I hurried over and re-opened one side of my double entrance door.
“What’s going on out here… Sonya? Tua?”
My doorman- and Royal Guardsman- had two Terrans stopped about halfway down the hall from my suite. The female was definitely Sonya in Sinae’s Antarran disguise. The male looked like Tua’s Antarran disguise. Who was he?
“Sabatu, let them pass. I’ll vouch for them.”
“My Lady Chance? You know these two Terrans?” My guard replied, surprised.
“Yes, and they are part of Queen Norge’s entourage, so Antarran. Thank you for announcing them though, sweetie.” I grinned as I motioned the two disguised individuals past me and into the safety of my suite.
“Thank you, and I’m sorry to have disturbed you, Lady Chance.” Sabatu replied as he bowed.
I cleared my throat loudly.
Placing a finger to nervously loosen his collar, “Sorry, Chance, I didn’t know who they were. S-should I know them?”
I nodded and grinned mischievously. “Very well in fact.” I winked before nodding and shutting my door.
“I take it you had something to do with this, Lt. Everhardt?” The dopple of an Antarran cloaked Tua confronted our resident Goddess.
“Maaaaybe?” She teased precociously.
“I can hardly wait to hear this one.” The look-alike sighed and rubbed his temples vigorously.
“You shall return my mate back to his original form or I shal-.”
“You. Shall. What. Sonya Serangetti?” Christina attacked menacingly.
There was complete and total silence in my living room for a long minute as Sonya debated her ineffectual options to that poignant statement.
Thankfully, Sonya backed down- choosing to live over…
“I did this so Kitty can assume her role of monarch and new mother- mostly new mother. Since our appearance is required at Norge’s Heath and Kitty is in no way able to disguise herself without appearing to be pregnant, I thought that Sonya and Kimbou Serangetti might volunteer for those roles. And, since Sonya has already agreed, her mate would eagerly accept the challenge for his Prime Minister. Tua, by the way, suggested the idea and has already informed Cmdr. Kavendish of the Captain’s special assignment.”
“Right. Okay, so,” I said as I hoped to bring this meeting to order, “First order of business has been covered. Next… Pegasus will arrive here in two hours- earlier if mom put a brick on the accelerator and she runs all the lights. Once here either Christina or I do our ‘thing’ and we hopefully arrive back in Norge’s Heath to continue our securing of Antarran history.”
“Ummmm… didn’t we forget a couple people, Chance.” Christina nodded over to the double doors of my suite’s entrance.
Sinae and Tua both looked a bit disheveled.
“Hey guys. Sorry we’re late. Something came up.” Sinae said with a broad smile that exposed her canines.
“Yeah, I’ll bet a few times.” Link whispered conspiratorially to Aunt Cora, yet everyone heard and laughed.
“How much did you two catch?” I asked after everyone settled.
“From Sonya and Kimbou volunteering to play us,” Sinae alternated her finger between her and her lover, “til now. What else did we miss?”
“That’s pretty much all of it-.”
My suite’s door chime sounded. Sinae being closest opened the door.
“Oh… Uhh… Umm… Excuse the interruption, my queen, but I’ve just received word that EFMC Pegasus has just arrived on our defensive boundary and is requesting permission to Capital.” My surprised guard’s voice announced from out in the hall.
“Granted.” She said as she turned to me. “Chance your ride is almost here… the Mall?”
I nodded with a smile.
Sinae smiled to Sabatu at the door. “Alert the Royal Guard to clear the political end of the mall of all occupation and give Pegasus those coordinates to land.”
“Opposite end from your coronation. Got it, Kitty. It shall be done.”
Sabatu’s voice could be heard dispatching Sinae’s orders as he hurried away down the hall.
“Hope must’ve put a cinder block on it this time and definitely ran the red lights, Chance!” Link giggled. “And I wouldn’t be surprised if the NOS tanks are empty too!”
“So help me! If she hurt my Pegasus’ emitters, I’ll-.” Simone swore angrily, but didn’t get the chance to finish her threat.
“Pegasus, Chance. We’ve received permission to enter FeLane Space and have been granted landing priority on the Residential end of the Mall. Be there in ten.” Locust alerted me on my comm.
“Give the Emitters a chance to breath and cool off! Make it twenty, Pegasus. Chance out.”
Pegasus says her emitters are all nominal and functioning at optimal performance, Chance.” Christina informed me as she nodded to Simone with a pleasant smile.
“Oh! Hey! As to the reason Tua and I were late…”
There was a collective decrease in atmospheric pressure as we all held our breath fearing Sinae was about to kiss and tell.
“Seriously? Do you really think I would do tha-.”
“YES!” We all shouted.
Sinae blushed for a moment.
“Actually, Tua and I stopped off to watch Christina’s latest masterpiece and ‘company’ being hauled out of the Parliamentary apartment complex.” Sinae’s smile beamed.
“I’m afraid Sen. Ashlan’s ‘night out’ was not quite what she hoped. They were reported for disturbing the peace and had been warned several times about the noise levels before the authorities had to forcibly enter the residence and remove them. A tragic scene since neither one of them wore a scrap of clothing. They actually had to throw cold water on Ashlan to get her off Dietz.” Tua continued.
The room broke out in laughter!
“That’ll be an interesting wake-up call in the pokie tomorrow morning.” Christina chortled.
“And… he’ll remember every last little detail of his illicit encounter, provided nothing major ‘escaped’ and ‘hit’ the ‘mark’!” She added with a malevolent chuckle.
Excuse me, Queen Kitty! The news services have caught wind of ‘unusual activity’ in the Parliamentary Mall. I’m streaming it to your current location.” Sabatu’s voice interrupted over my suite’s communication system.
“Go ahead.” Sinae agreed.
 
 

Chapter 18


 
 
“Please excuse this interruption of this evening’s scheduled streaming, citizens of FeLane.”
 
The female announcer politely apologizing fades into stream appearing seated behind a news desk with a screen declaring ‘BREAKING NEWS’ behind her.
 
“Hello everyone, I’m Tua Sohn. Again, so sorry for the interruption. We have just been informed by our political correspondent stationed at the Parliamentary Mall that a detachment of Royal Guardsmen have been dispatched and have begun clearing the Residential end of the Mall here in Capital. Here now is Political Correspondent, Cleo Shift. Cleo? What’s happening out there?”
 
Streaming media splits in two- Tua Sohn on the left, Cleo Shift on the right.
 
Cleo Shift: Good evening, Tua. Five standard minutes ago we received notification that the West End of the Parliamentary Mall was being evacuated for some unrevealed reason. Consecutive inquiries have been met with silence, but we can confirm that a sizeable area is definitely being cleared and secured.
 
Tua Sohn (looking slightly suspicious): Cleo, do you have an estimate on the area being cleared?
 
Cleo (looking confused by her coworker’s question): I’d say almost a full fifth of the Mall, (Tua gasping in the background can be heard quite clearly) Tau, does that mean something to you?
 
Tua Sohn (looking so filled with excitement she might pop): I have an idea of what might be happening. I covered the story personally about nine years ago actually.
 
Cleo (holding her ears as the streaming device shakes sharply four or five times): Tua! We’ve just witnessed some kind of multiple explosive event in the sky above us! As I speak, my streamer is checking with the Environmental Services for a stray lightning event.
 
Tua Sohn (looking even more excited): Cleo, I highly suggest you follow the Royal Guard’s instructions to the letter. I’m betting that wasn’t an erroneous natural weather event.
 
(Cleo looks up after someone in the background shouts, and her expression changes to disbelief mixed with terror)
 
Tua Sohn (looking very concerned): Cleo? Cleo, what do you see? Is it a very large, gleaming, streamlined spacecraft?
 
Cleo (still looking up in awe): H-H-How did you know that?
 
Tua Sohn (looking overjoyed): Ladies and gentlemen, the mystery has been solved! Allow me the opportunity to announce that the illustrious EFMC’s Pegasus has just arrived with her famed compliment of EFMC’s Witch Corps! Could our queen be making another ‘grand entrance’ in reply to the Parliamentary call for her appearance on charges (Tua Sohn’s expression changes to one of disgust. She shakes her head in disagreement) of illegal procreation?
 
(Cleo Shift’s hair begins blowing and whipping around her face and she valiantly tries, but fails, to hold it in control.)
 
(Cleo’s streamer switches his focus to a huge glimmering spacecraft with several smaller spacecraft attached to her main hull as it slowly grows larger in the lens.)
 
Tua Sohn (smiling so much she can hardly talk): Cleo! That’s EFMC Pegasus… and… and I theorize she’s in full on battle mode! Talk to us, sweetie.
 
Cleo (awestruck): Its-its beautiful!
 
Tua Sohn (neutrally): And from what I’ve been told, extremely lethal. Cleo? I understand the sheer awe you must be feeling at this moment, but we still need your report.
 
Cleo (visibly shaking her head to clear it): Sorry, Tua, I’ve only ever heard stories and seen images of EFMC Pegasus’ arrival on Queen Kitty’s Coronation Day, but she’s even more impressive from my vantage point. Could Queen Kitty herself be aboard this fantastic vessel?
 
Tua Sohn (smiling brightly): I know the feeling, Cleo, and the answer to your question is yes. Yes, our beloved Monarch is indeed onboard and completely safe and secure.
 
Cleo: Tua, we’re seeing onlookers arriving en-mass! The Mall has seemingly filled instantly with spectators! It’s simply unbelievable! Where did they all come from?
 
 
“Yes, Christina, where did all those onlookers come from?” Sinae asked cattily.
“Wasn’t me, Kitty. Honest.”
 
 
Tua Sohn: I’d say the various offices and apartment complexes surrounding the Mall.
 
 
“Gee, Chance, ya think it was Hope showing off again?” Christina said as she continued to look at Sinae. “The Sonic booms strike a cord?”
I rolled my eyes as usual.
“I think there is more at play here and suggest we should transfer to Pegasus. Chance, Pegasus.”
Go ahead, Chance.” Lokust answered, but continued. “I’ve already alerted the ship that you guys might be beaming aboard, so come on in!
“Be right over, Lokust. Chance, out.” I said then looked over to Sinae and Tua.
“You two want to get spruced up?”
“Spruced, Chance?” Tua questioned in confusion.
“I know what she meant. How’s this, Kitty?” Christina said as Sinae and Tua’s clothing changed.
Sinae was now dressed in a flowing, pink gossamer, maternity gown that gave a dignified look to her baby bump. Her mane was now coiffed regally in a simple but appropriate updo.
Tua was now sporting a dark grey striped tailored business suit, white dress shirt, and matching grey striped suit pants. Black leather loafers complimented the outfit.
“I think the color conveys too much, but very nice, sister. Very nice.”
We found ourselves in Pegasus’ lounge.
“Yeah, thought you guys would show up here.” Lokust smiled from next to the elevator.
“Why are we loaded for Arborean Bear?” I asked.
“Because we all wanted to come along on this mission, Chance.” Dell answered as she popped in next to me; bow, quiver, and full uniform.
“Ummmmm, yeah, okay? A little overkill isn’t it?” I asked.
“I suggested we give them another show- just like the Coronation, Chance.” Lokust justified. “Hey, where’s Christina?”
Pegasus? Display Capital One News media stream on the ceiling, please?” I requested in answer.
 
 
Tua Sohn: We now await some sort of movement from this fascinating spacecraft. If I’m right we should see the ship’s ramp extend followed by her crew and passengers.
 
Tua Sohn’s shiny, blonde mane of hair suddenly goes poker straight! A third window splits Tua and Cleo’s window. It clumsily focuses on a tall, blue-haired woman with a huge smile on her face.
 
Tua Sohn (looking completely flabbergasted): An Antarran? Who are you? How did you get in here? How did you do that?
 
Mysterious Antarran Woman (smiling mischievously): Hello, Tua Sohn. I am Christina Colleen Everhardt, and I am an advanced scout, per say, sent by Her Majesty, Caroline Norge of the Antarran Trade Federation. I am here to secure safety protocols for Her Majesty, Caroline Norge’s arrival in support of your Queen, Kitty Sinae, for her upcoming appearance before FeLane’s Parliament. Her Majesty, Caroline Norge, has expressed her deep-rooted moral concerns toward this supposed requirement for a monarch to register her want of offspring and has declared her undying allied support to your queen for removal of this paranoia-driven, insulting, and debasing legislation.
 
Tua Sohn’s eyes light up hearing the spirit and resolve Christina Colleen Everhart is expressing.
 
 
“Wow, the kid can really put it out there, can’t she?” Katelyn Yates commented.
“Of course! She’s Antarran!” Aunt Cora crowed happily.
“Yeaaaaah… Everyone has to have a weak point I suppose.” Kate giggled.
I pointed up at the ceiling as I noticed a wand or two manifest. “Let’s watch.”
 
 
Tua Sohn (still looking overwhelmed): I see. But, why send EFMC Witch Corps’ Pegasus, Lady Christina? One wouldn’t expect such a need or show of force given a minor Parliamentary inquiry.
 
Christina Everhardt: Pegasus diverted enroute to a potentially dangerous mission to deliver Queen Kitty and her Prime Minister for these proceedings. Since the primary mission is somewhat less than time sensitive, we offered to lend a hand.
 
Tua Sohn (shocked): We? Lady Christina, are you perchance a member of EFMC’s Witch Corps?
 
The Antarran’s clothing suddenly changes to a rather risqué black, orange, and white Witch costume- complete with a black, pointed hat.
 
Christina Everhardt (coyly): Gee, Tua Sohn, what was your first clue?
 
Tua Sohn (visibly swallowing hard): So… so you are one of the fabled Current Mages?
 
Christina Everhardt (smiling broadly): I restate my last question.
 
Tua Sohn (smiling ear to ear): You must be very courageous and confident to wear that, Lady Christina?
 
Christina (raising a well kept brow): We’ll see who is and is not courageous in regard to this inquest, Tua Sohn. Queen Caroline has expressed her requirement for success in negating that ridiculous regulation of yours! Nobody should be required to- and I quote- ‘provide visual and physical proof that a pregnancy has occurred’. What ever happened to personal rights and privacies? Queens are humans too, ya know!
 
Unknown female voice shouting behind the set: You tell ‘em, Christina!
 
 
I looked over to see Kate with her hands framing her mouth to amplify her voice.
Yeah, I thought I had recognized the voice. Who taught her that one though?
 
 
Christina Everhardt: Thank you, Lady Kate. (Christina Everhardt faces and salutes the camera)
 
Tua Sohn (hiding a giggle with her hand): Please excuse me a moment, Lady Christina. Cleo? Any change or movement from the Pegasus?
 
Cleo: Nothing yet. Please extend my welcome to Lady Christina.
 
Christina Everhardt is suddenly beside Cleo at the landing site. She turns, bows respectfully to Cleo, and is instantly back in the studio again.
 
 
“Chance, Perfessor. Time to put away your toys. We’re ready.” I said over comms.
 
 
Christina Everhardt looks directly at the camera and nods.
 
Christina Everhardt: Ladies? I’ve been informed the ‘pageantry’ is about to begin. Be warned that this visit will be slighhhhhtly different from Queen Kitty’s Coronation. Today we are strictly a security detail responsible for two Sovereigns, your Prime Minister, and several Ladies from the Royal Courts of the Way.
 
Tua Sohn’s eyes suddenly light up as she reads something off frame. She gasps loudly, but quickly collects herself and looks to be assessing Christina Everhardt very carefully.
 
Christina Everhardt (smiling coyly): Awww, you guys found me out. Well… I guess I’ll join the procession. Ta Ta!
 
Christina Everhardt vanishes instantly. The three-way split display collapses back to two after a few standard seconds delay.
 
 
“Show-off!” Kate declares as Christina appears in the lounge.
“Full uniforms except Kitty, Tua, and Aunt Cora.” I ordered just before I popped down to the hatch.
Once everyone had followed suit, I began my briefing.
“Now, I want a closed perimeter around each dignitary- wands at the ready. As we’ve seen, Haturo still has supporters within Parliament. If Christina didn’t alert the media, I’m speculating one of his cronies did. I’m also betting he has even more supporters and fanatics embedded in the crowd.” I paused a moment to prepare for what I said next. “The safeties are off ladies! Collect the bad guys for deposit into law enforcement confinement. Try to keep casualties and property destruction at a minimum. Sandra, JWC is to supplement our Royal Guard allies- one member to a squad, and assist with crowd control. Christina? Don’t get crazy.”
“Chance? They know I’m Antarra’s Goddess. It appeared on the holoprompter just before I left the studio.”
“Okay. We can use that.” I said, thinking quickly. “Christina, I’d like you to recreate your ‘Goddess’ role from outside Norge’s Keep. Bare in mind Aquia isn’t flying cover tonight so improvise.”
“Got it, High Priestess.”
“Good. Let’s get on with it. Pegasus, extend the ramp and open the hatch.”
 

******


 
The People’s Mall- West End, Capital, FeLane:
 
“Tua! The ramp is extending!” Cleo Shift announced jubilantly. “Now the hatch is opening!”
“Keep it professional, kid. You’re a reporter, don’t forget that.” Cleo’s streamer warned.
“Hey! Aren’t you Cleo Shift?” a female voice called out. A young Terran woman with long, black hair smiled as she approached the reporter.
“Yes, that’s me. Can I help you?”
“I’m Savanna- Savanna Summers?”
“Ummm… I’m a little busy at the moment, Miss Summers? I’m sure you noticed there’s some really important news happening here?”
“Yeah, I know, but a word to the wise? Don’t give my mom too much attention. I’ll never hear the end of it.”
“Your mom?” The reporter’s expression changed to confusion. “Rolf? Why are you pointing and acting so strangely?”
“She’s Savanna Summers, Cleo!”
“Yeah? So?”
“Savanna Summers? Daughter of Witch Corps’ High Priestess, Chance Summers? Name ring a bell?”
The reporter gulped loudly as her eyes grew large and her ears pinned back tight against her skull.
“Lady Savanna! Forgive me, I didn’t kno…realize who you were! What can I…we do for you?”
“Savanna is fine. I’m just here to assess the area. Also, Mom declared ‘safeties off’ so I just wanted you to know that there may be a few strange things going to happen. Just don’t freak too badly, ‘k’?”
“Strange like hoooooooowby the grace of Queen Libra herself! Is that Lady Christina?” Cleo squeaked as her head and eyes snapped skyward.
“Yeah, she does that when she wants to make or drive home a point.” Savanna answered nonchalantly. “Any of us can do that, a goddess is much better at it though. You should see Artemis-Dell when she gets upset!”
“Is-is sssshe a goddess too?” The reporter stuttered.
“Terra’s Greek Goddess Artemis’ kid sister, yep! Never misses a target, either- not once.”
“You might want to look that way and say ‘Tua, there seems to be activity just inside the hatch’.”
“Oh! Tua. There seems to be activity just inside Pegasus’ hatch.”
“Good girl. Now, would you like to meet the members of Witch Corps?”
“You bet I would, Lady…err… Savanna!”
“That’s what I thought. Here’s two passes for a meet and greet tomorrow, mid-morning. I expect to see you and your Aunt Tua there.”
We’re waiting, Oracle,” sounded out from Savanna’s pendent.
“Be right there, mother.”
A bright light illuminated Cleo’s face. Christina had started her diversion and a hush spread across the huge, well-kept Mall. Savanna took advantage of it and transported back to Pegasus.
 

******


 
“I gave the invitations to Miss Shift for her and Miss Sohn as you requested, mom. They’ll be there.” Savanna assured me.
The reason for the ‘passes’ I had Savanna hand off, was because I had chanced a short conversation with – at the time of Sinae’s coronation- freshman reporter, Tua Sohn nine years ago and found her ‘lineage’ interesting and her Current well mannered. Now she had employed her niece in the business and I felt it important to re-evaluate them.
“The force is strong in those two, honey.” Mom said as she passed me on the way out of the ship. She, Chantell, Charlie, Simone, Janet, Samuel, and Link were assigned to protect Aunt Cora.
“JWC! You’re up. Good luck girls.”
Sandra nodded to me as she exited to follow her team down the ramp. I watched with pride as they flared out with precision to join their assigned Royal Guard squads.
“Savanna? You ready?” I asked my daughter. “A protective shield around Tua until you two get down the ramp. Hold until Kitty and I join you. The remainder of the Corps will form a protective ring around them then. Keep an eye open.”
Savanna nodded. She and Tua stepped out of Pegasus and hopefully not into the line of fire.
“You about ready, Sinae?”
She gave me a tense smile. “Let’s do this, Chance!”
 
 

Levingrade High Security Penial Establishment for Corrections- an inmate’s small, highly guarded cell. Capital One News is being streamed.

 
Cleo Shift (looking excited): Here they come, ladies and gentlemen! Our honorable Prime Minister Tua escorting Lady Savanna Summers, daughter of Witch Corps High Priestess, Chance Summers. And now, just exiting this marvelous spacecraft is Her Majesty, Queen Kitty! She is being escorted by the High Priestess herself, Chance Summers.
 
Tua Sohn: EFMC Witch Corps’ security seems to be extremely tight, Cleo, I’ve also just been informed that members of the Corps’ Junior Team- the young women exiting Pegasus previously- have embedded themselves to bolster the Royal Guard Squads scattered throughout the Mall. Seems like they aren’t fooling around!
 
Cleo: I concur, Tua, I’ve been informed that the High Priestess has ordered ‘all safeties off’- an indication that they expect trouble! We could have a situation on our hands if followers of the old regime intend to disrupt Queen Kitty’s arrival.
 
Tua Sohn: Let us hope it does not come to blows, Cleo. I have heard many rumors about the strength and agility of EFMC’s Witch Corps and feel only sadness toward their opponents.
 
Cleo: Tua, from this vantage point I can almost reach out and touch Her Highness! Queen Kitty! Cleo Shift: Capital One News Media. Congratulations! How far along are you?
 
Queen Kitty Sinae (just barely audible over the crowd noise): Second Trimester, Cleo. Thanks for askin’.
 
Cleo (in alarm): Wait a moment! The Antarran Goddess, Christina Everhardt, has shifted her position and appears to be staring down into the crowd! What in Libra’s name?
 
A citizen pointing a personal weapon at the hovering goddess slowly rises out of the crowd firing several shots as he rises higher. There is a bright flash and the citizen has vanished.
 
Cleo (looking shocked): Did she just? Oh dear Libra! I think hostilities have just broken out, Tua!
 
Unknown Witch Corps Member carrying an elaborate golden bow on her shoulder and a full quiver of arrows on her back: I’m sorry, my lady, but we need to move you two to a safer location.
 
The camera view instantly switches to a different location on the Mall, further away from Pegasus.
 
Unknown Witch Corps Member: Please take cover beyond the sidewalk, Miss Shift. We have conjured a protective wall on the inside of this walkway that should repel or resist heavy weapons fire. Please stay here or risk losing your life and tomorrow’s exclusive.
 
Cleo (looking very relieved): Thank you, Lady…
 
Unknown Witch Corps Member: Lady Artemis-Dell, Miss Shift, and you are very welcome; just please, please stay here to continue your stream report.
 
Cleo: Thank you Lady Artemis-Dell and good luck!
 
Tua Sohn (smiling): Looks like you just joined those of us that have personally met a Witch Corps member, Cleo. Nice job.

Cleo (blushing): Thank you, Tua. And she seemed completely normal and accommodating. Not what one would think of any personnel associated with such a special operations unit.
 
 
“HUH!” The inmate snorted loudly.
“Hey! Be quiet in there or I’ll trigger the gas again!” A voice warned from outside the locked, solitary confinement cell.
With a look of contempt, the inmate reached into his mouth and touched one of his molars. “We’ll see how ‘normal’ those bitches actually are. This is Alpha. Ramp it up boys, it’s time to rock the Parliament.”
 
 

Chapter 19


 
 
Chance, you have multiple bogies inbound on your six.” Perfessor alerted on comms.
“Copy, Perfessor. We’ll take care of the problems.” I acknowledged. “On our six, Lokust.”
“Aw, can’t I just end one or two of them, Chance? Please?” Sinae pleaded from next to me.
“You willing to take on the whole crowd, Sinae?” I asked heatedly.
“That was the idea.”
“And what if that ‘controlled’ bloodlust shows its ugly face again and collateral becomes an issue?” I proposed. “Like you had control over in Parliament this morning?”
“Hey, I had that under control, Chance. I was showing off…”
“For who, Sinae? Princess already knows you can whip her ass seven ways ‘til Sunday. What were you trying to prove?”
“For me, Chance! Okay? For me! I wanted to be sure I still have my edge.”
“From the tatters you left their clothing in, I’d say there is nothing wrong with your ‘edge’, sister. Those Representatives never knew what hit them- and I still don’t think they have any idea!”
“I’m just worried that my kitten will somehow impede my performance in the Corps.”
Kits and Kittens never stopped Libra, Kitty. They seemed to make her fiercer.” Major commented over comms.
“They did?”
OHHHH YEAH!” Major responded.
A right bad-ass, that bird!” Seeker added her two cents in a strange accent- Twentieth Century British if I remembered right.
Engaging.” Lokust alerted, as I saw the flash from her wand then three more in close succession. “Threats eliminated. So, are we going to restore them into individual holding cells, or just one big one, Chance?
“Depends on the size of our haul, Lokust.” I answered.
Hey Seeker! On your two-thirty, five meters and closing.” Perfessor alerted.
Several more wand flashes cut through the evening dusk falling around us. It seemed like we were being attacked from all sides at once. What was going on here? Had Sinae’s people suddenly gone nuts?
Looks like some of these guys actually have tainted Current in them, Chance! Should we split and look for a Hoblin?
“No, we already know where the source of the ‘taint’ resides.” I reminded. Just the thought of that cruel, inhumane…
Say the word, Chance; I just need to picture him…” Perfessor offered.
“And take Kitty’s fun away? Not a chance, sister. If anyone deserves to end him it’s his number one victim; nobody else.”
Copy that, Chance… Oracle, eight! Two meters! Wrench, five. Six meters. Laidy-in-Wait, nine-thirty. Three meters.
The blue lightshow was almost constant for two or three minutes.
“Who would’ve thought there were so many oppositionists, Chance?” Sinae asked in astonishment.
“Think about how different it would’ve been if we hadn’t visited Parliament first.” I suggested, but I really started to think deeper on her question.
Why were there so many dissidents? Why didn’t their numbers show nine years ago at the coronation? Something had changed for the worst, but what?
“I say bring on the insurgent militia!” Sinae growled.
Was that it? An underground militia that took its time and patience to regroup? Rebuild? Did Haturo have enough of a reach and hence, some grand plan involving dethroning or even assassinating Sinae? How could he have planned it from Capital’s high security prison though? All communications with inmates was strictly monitored and restricted.
In short, this event simply felt wrong- unbelievable in its scale, and my gut was wreathing in conflict. Regardless of those pending questions, this had to stop before the collateral started adding up! This craziness had to stop now!
“I say this is going to end now! With your permission, you’re Highness?” I said as I began my preparations. None of this was making any sense and innocent people would be suffering from one man’s twisted determination to reestablish his control- and all from his high security prison cell no less!
Let’s give our High Priestess some room, guys.” Kitty said into Comms as she gave me a cautious look of concern. “I’m giving Chance Carte Blanc to deal with this unfortunate nightmare. My shield is up and ready, Chance.
I nodded and concentrated- searching for all the oppositionists hidden amongst the crowd. I wondered while I did that how I knew I could?
I found a scant fifty left out of the thousands that had turned out to watch their queen’s arrival.
Think twenty meters will be enough, Chance?” Kitty asked over comms.
I nodded silently after closing my eyes a moment. My Staff of Victory appeared in my right hand and its gem instantly began to shine blindingly!
The crowd around us silenced and I could feel- no, taste- the fear and terror now given off from them.
Hooooollly shit, Batman! Is she going to do what I think she’s doing?” Perfessor gasped in fear.
People of Capital!” My voice rang out and resonated throughout the Mall without any amplification equipment. “I humbly request that all innocent onlookers step back from any persons that appear to be glowing a light hue of blue. These highlighted individuals hold nefarious intentions for your queen. I have verbally received royal permission to deal with them as I see fit. This is my final and only warning!”
With my announcement made, I began to levitate all fifty insurgents into the air above the huge gathering.
I struck my staff into the ground at my feet and everyone- everything- began to shrink in size.
Where did she learn to grow like that?” Lokust asked in awe. “She must be fifty meters tall!
Old Greek God trick; psyches them out every time!” Huntress’ voice answered.
Think she could teach us that one, Huntress? I could stand to gain a few inches.” Porno added.
But everything would grow proportionally, Porno.” Double Take reminded.
I don’t have a problem with that, D.T.” Porno laughed. “You?
It would be interesting.” Double Take remarked.
Youse Antarrans are all a buncha perverts!” Kate growled in disgust. “Take that, mate!
I noticed a ‘small’ blue flash from the ground ahead of me. I was getting a good view of the Mall Complex from up here.
Hey… Tiny! Care to get on with it?” Major groused. “Kitty’s buyin’ the beers when we’re finished.
Wait, I am?” Kitty shreiked in surprise.
I heard you say that, Kitty.” Seeker played along.
Yeah! And none of that ‘heirball’‘cantrip’ stuff, just the real stuff!” Rowan… Grumpy insisted.
That’s ‘Catnip’ and Herbal, doofus!” Kitten corrected angrily. “And that isn’t the right name for it anyway- plus it’s been outlawed across the Confederation for over four hundred years!
As I rolled my eyes listening to my sisters’ continued comical banter, I collected the floating suspects into a group before me. All the offending- hovering- Lynxins could probably fit in my hand now.
“You fifty.” I addressed them en masse. “Why perjure yourselves and commit high treason against the crown for a man that would not give you the time of day before or after doing his bidding?” I asked. My voice echoed throughout the huge, mostly silent, Mall complex.
“You don’t scare us with your tricks, witch,” one of them dared answer!
Why was there always one?
“I am no mere witch, ‘little’ man.” I said as I triggered my planned physical change.
Murmurs of ‘Victoria’- the ancient Lynxin goddess of triumph- began cycling around the massive gathering as I felt my proportionally large, long tail begin to sweep sinuously behind me. Hopefully, people had enough sense to stay clear of it or risk being hurt badly.
“As you can see, I am no mere witch, you rude little man. What I am is you and your master’s worst nightmare.” I said as I laughed lightly. “So, shall we invite your master to the proceeding also?” I proposed.
“I would like to see you try.”
Well, a dare is a dare.
Sinae’s incarcerated father appeared, facing away from me, standing in my upturned left palm.
“Welcome to the festivities, deposed, Ex-Regent Haturo.” He jumped in fright as he turned and looked up at my huge Lynxin face. “We’ve been talking about you. All bad though, so don’t worry.” I grinned wickedly.
I conjured a holding shield visible as a light blue haze around the small man. “Don’t go anywhere. I need to get a handle on things.”
I needed some way of finding his theorized communication device.
“Lady Charli Armstrong? Could you hover up here a moment? I have need of your skills.” I said as I looked down some fifty meters at Seeker.
Haturo seemed to recognize the name and attempted to look over the edge of my gigantic hand.
Unfortunately, he found out that my restraining shield was real, and also painful when physically contacted.
“High Priestess? How can I be of service? Hey, Haturo, how’s it hangin’?” Seeker offered as she hovered into my line of sight.
“I thought you dead!” Haturo gasped angrily.
“And I thought you incarcerated for ninety life sentences… plus one day… without any possible parole.” Seeker returned.
“You lot serve the true ruler of FeLane! Kill that disgusting whore imposter!” The deposed Lynxin shouted.
I thought Dad was going to lose her concentration and fall to the ground, she was laughing so hard!
“Yeaaaaaaahhhhhhh… Dream on, dumbass!” Dad giggled after she caught her breath.
“This man has directly influenced today’s incident. He must have access to some secretive communication device. Could you perchance try to detect it using Pegasus’ equipment? I suggest asking Scion to help if needed.
Copy, Chance, on my way over.” Perfessor responded on Comms. I figured she would be monitoring.
“I’ll start by polling some of the more clandestine channe… oh! Huh! That’s a new one. High Priestess, I’m detecting radiation in the near-subspace range, 50M encryption, 1K bandwidth… pretty high-end stuff.”
“Recommendations?” I requested.
“Well… if I setup a feedback loop to burn it out, it’ll blow his lower jaw clean off. It’s in his first lower left molar. Maybe Scion can extract it discretely?”
Perfessor floated closer glowing brightly like a nearby star on a moonless night.
“L.L. Molar#1?” She asked with a malevolent smile. Seeker nodded.
“This one, right?” She asked, now holding a Lynxin molar- roots and all- between her finger and thumb.
“Yeah, that’s it.” Seeker giggled as she quickly scanned it.
Haturo looked completely flabbergasted as one of his teeth slowly crumbled between Christina’s fingers.
“Oops.” Christina snorted while looking completely surprised something like that would happen.
I could see Haturo’s tongue curiously probing where the tooth had been.
“Oh, don’t worry, sweetums; I replaced that faulty, little ol’ toofie-woofie with somethin’ a bit more ‘practical’.” She conjured and tossed a small device down to Sinae. “Majesty, the device you have just received is control over this man’s institutional future. It is bidirectional and will keep you apprised of not only his whereabouts, but also his physical and mental health parameters. If you feel he is misbehaving or not taking his rehabilitation seriously, you can… ‘Influence’ his participation. I believe that to be his solution for your innocent, adolescent transgressions?”
 
Sinae saluted Perfessor with a canine revealing smile.
“Need I remind you to use the device with the utmost care and discretion, Majesty?” Perfessor recommended. “Oh, just don’t press the ‘red’ button.”
But it only has a ‘red’ button, Scion. No other buttons on this thing.” Kitty shouted up, while still on Comms too. She was holding the small box with the big red button over her head to show us.
“Oh? Really?” Christina looked doubly surprised. “I forgot the other buttons? How inconsiderate of me… oh well…guess you’ll just have to improvise, Your Majesty.”
Sinae’s smile- even from this high up- beamed!
“I demand you place me back on the ground!” Haturo demanded to interrupt the playful- though not for him- banter.
“Hmmmfph! I demand you ‘shut it’ since you have forfeited your rights via criminal trial and conviction, Haturo. Queen Kitty? Have you any words for this convicted felon that once was your father?” I asked hoping I actually sounded like a pissed-off, arrogant, ancient Goddess.
Sinae floated up to me and stepped onto my huge upturned left hand, stopping a step or two in front of Haturo.
“Hello… father.” She said it as if she had just eaten something disgusting and very sour.
Haturo instantly turned away from her to ignore her.
With a (SHI-I-I-I-I-I-ING), Kitty’s left pointer claw extended slowly. She carefully placed it to his right cheek. “I said ‘Hello… father! You will answer your sovereign!”
Amazing how she could pass right threw my restraining field, right?
She began to use her claw to turn his head- and thus his body- back to her. A rivulet of blood trickled down from the slight incision that caused.
“You will answer your QUEEN!” She demanded powerfully.
“I recognize no royalty here other than myself.”
“Pity. And I was just going to introduce you to my kitten, father! Yes, kitten! She will be the next ruler in FeLane’s future, and you have absolutely no say in it! You see, your derisive regulation has never existed- nor will it ever! Scion has seen to that! Dear! Father!”
She has no authorit-.”
“She has the ultimate authority, father! She is Scion! Savior of the known universes and beyond! She can do anything she damn well pleases! Care to try that out?” Sinae sneered and continued. “An entity named ‘Bovidivich’ tried and exists no more- the atoms making ‘it’ up scattered around the multi-verse randomly. She also wiped out an entire uber-aggressive race of cyber-tech enhanced beings in the blink of an eye. Care to press your luck?”
“Majesty, you embellish far too much. They were a civilization of a mere one hundred and fifty trillion. Their galaxy is but the remnants of a nebula now.” Christina winked playfully.
“Have you had enough conversation, majesty?” I asked as I glared down on the convict in the palm of my hand. “I am beginning to feel the need to crush the nuisance I hold there. Even my antibodies are feeling drawn to devour the sickness standing before you.”
I noticed Kitty blink and regard her ‘father’. “I have nothing more to say to this man, High Priestess. Do with him what you will.”
Kitty hovered up and away from my gargantuan hand to settle gently on the well-groomed Mall lawn.
“Then back to the secure confines of your incarceration, shameless Lynxin! Do remain penitent and hope we do not meet again!”
Haturo disappeared from my palm in a bright blue blip.
“Now to the rest of his ‘minions’.” I smiled evilly as I looked to the fifty others hovering and awaiting my judgment.
“Now what shall I do with you?” I pondered aloud.
“’Ang ‘em!” Major shouted as she conjured and held an ancient rope noose high above her head.
“A bit extreme don’t you think, Major?” I asked.
No, not really. They’ve all conspired against their Queen, High Priestess- conspiracy being the least punishable, treasonous offence, attempted assassination being the most severe. According to the FeLane rules of punishment, high treason and assassination are both punishable by an execution of the queen’s choice.
“Then you all shall wait for your day in court. Take the time you have to make peace with those you hold dear.” I said as I dismissed them to the bulk holding cell in Capital’s high security prison.
As with Haturo, they disappeared in an intense blue flash.
I willed myself to shrink and heard deafening applause from the thousands gathered. I also found Kitty running over to me.
“You didn’t kill him or them did you, Chance?”
“Nope.”
“Shame.”
“I’m not his daughter or their queen.”
“Now yer talkin’!”
“Let the courts have their fun first, sister.” I recommended.
“Killjoy.” Sinae grumbled with a noticeable pout.
As the applause subsided, a clear path to the royal residence opened through the crowd and we faced no more insurrection or impediment.
“How little it takes to stir up a mob.” I observed casually as we entered the Queen’s Residence.
Tua hurried over to Sinae and wrapped his arms around her. “My Queen! Have you been harmed?”
“Not in the least. How did you fare?” Sinae inquired.
“Aside from my heart rate spiking and a severe bout of adrenaline rush, I’ll survive, but, without you… I’d…” Tua answered then stared at me.
“High Priestess… is that your true form or… or… was it to frighten the opposition?” He didn’t sound too confident asking.
“We of Olympus refer to it as ‘Colossus Mode’ and only use it as a means to thwart and disarm our foes, Prime Minister.” Dell answered quickly, but glared at me. “You’re lucky they didn’t call out an airstrike on you, Chance!”
“Like that would’ve worked!” Link snorted.
“Um… hey boss? Could you dismiss your ‘glowy’ potato masher?” Kate waved for my attention then pointed to my staff. It was still shining brightly and casting a blue hue over us and everything else in the Residence’s Grande Reception Area.
I quickly dismissed it, blushing that I had forgotten such a noticeable item!
“Better. Now if you’ll all excuse me, I need to pee!” Kate said as she nodded then hurried away.

up
89 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

At least one comment

I thought I ought to supply at least a token comment to this, seeing as nobody else has made one.

I have read all of the "Summer's Current" adventures with absolute delight. I can only apologise that I have not made my pleasure known before this. It is a delightful, wacky, off-the-wall romp through space opera and I have no idea how you thought this insane plot up!

I did read a comment from a reader who was confused by the time travel elements but, really, if you aren't confused by time travel then there's something very odd about you. Most of that stuff is just hand-wavy anyway. In the current context it fits perfectly.

Keep up the good work,

Penny

Story is always fun

The story has become even more of a romp as time goes on but that is fine given how powerful this group is.

It will be interesting how they will react when some unknown extradimensional invader suddenly make themselves known and they will then have a serious fight on their hands.

In the mean time, romp it is.

So, switching subjects, given how powerful Scion is, how come she is not high priestess given that is why Chance became high priestess in the first place.