April's Fool - 32

Printer-friendly version

(This chapter was previously posted as Chapter 29)

Jeff Farnum picked me up at seven AM right on schedule. I grabbed my backpack, and jumped into the passenger side.

“You look like shit,” he said.

“Yeah.” I yawned. I felt like I hadn’t slept in days. I ran a hand over my face and my hair, trying to wake up.

“That was a great game last night.”

“Thanks.”

I had my head on what we were going to attempt later on this afternoon. I wished I’d been able to get more sleep, but I didn’t want to alarm anyone at school by not being around. Who knew when I’d get a chance to say good-bye to my friends?”

“Listen man,” I said, as we drove down the country roads that led to the high school. “You know you’re my best friend.”

“Jesus, what now?”

“What?” I said.

“You never start a sentence like that unless you’re gearing up for something awful. What gives?”

I shook my head, swallowing past a lump in my throat. “Just…something is going to happen tonight. Something major. And I’m not sure I’m going to be able to come back from it, you know?”

He nodded. “I figured something was happening, what with you actually friends with that Landcaster bitch.”

That rankled me, but I let it go. “I just want you to know how much you and Mitzy mean to me.”

“Yeah. Sucks that she migrated.”

“What?”

“Yeah, don’t you remember? Was a few days ago. Where you been, man?”

I shook my head. Of course I didn’t have memories from a few days ago. A few days ago, I’d been Desdemonia. The thought of that was giving me a headache.

“Anyway, whatever happens tonight, you know you’re my best friend too, man,” he hit me on the shoulder. “Just don’t fuck up whatever it is.”

“Hah.”

He grinned at me. “So what are they going to do?”

I sighed. “Going to change my Alpha Were condition.”

“What, you won’t be a werewolf anymore?”

“Nope.”

“What’ll you be?”

I scratched my head. What did one call a multi-dimensional super-being?

“Ah…I’ll still be a were, just not a wolf.”

“Maybe they’ll turn you into a Were-bimbo!” he laughed. “Like Ryan.”

Ryan Davidson was a WereWoman who we shared classes with. Nights of the full moon he turned into a woman with an extremely high libido.

“No, nothing like that.”

“Aww.”

We got to school and hung out in front of the entrance like usual. I saw ‘April’ standing with her retinue, smoking and gossiping. It looked like Desdemonia had completely integrated with April’s life seamlessly.

She sauntered over to me, flicking ash from her cigarette with a sassy twist of her wrist. “Well, hello pet.”

“Hello April.”

She took a puff. “So when you fuck my mother, do you do it doggy style?”

Several of the girls in her retinue cackled at that. “Yeah, doggy!”

I rolled my eyes, and turned to Jeff, shaking my head.

“Can you believe it?” she said to the crowd. “This doggy likes it doggy style with my mom!”

“Ewww!” several of the girls said.

“Come on, man.” Jeff pulled me away from the group.

“See you later, Fool!” she called after me.

Jeff and I walked into the main foyer where most of the other kids had gathered.

“Hey, good game yesterday!” someone said.

“Thanks,” I smiled.

“Way to get us back in the game!” another girl said.

“That’s the way I roll,” I said.

I made it to my AP US History class just before the bell rang. I honestly had no idea where or what we were studying, and had a queasy greasy feeling in the pit of my stomach. I really hoped Miss Minnick wouldn’t call on me. I did my best to not call any attention to myself as I silently sat down in my seat.

The bell rang. We all started working on the board work which was to write two pages on Civil War trends in today’s America. I loved writing and immediately immersed myself in the assignment.

“Well, well!” Miss Minnick said, standing in front of my desk. I could smell the brimstone as she tapped my desk. “Appears we have a celebrity in our midst.”

“Hmm?” I said.

“I heard you single-handedly turned the tide on the ballgame yesterday.”

“Oh,” I felt myself blush. “Right.”

“Congratulations.”

I gave her a tight smile. “Thanks.”

“I’d like to speak with you in the hallway, if you would be so kind.”

I sighed, and nodded.

We stepped out into the hall. She closed the door, and pulled me over to a deserted corner.

“So tonight is the big night?”

I nodded. “Yeah.”

“I imagine your involved in some type of plan?”

“Desdemonia and April are going to use the High Valley Crystal to try to infuse a different Alpha form within me.”

She frowned, her perfect brows narrowing. “And why would they do that?”

“I’ve been traveling across realities. The Who apparently is going to use me tonight to open the Gate, or whatever.”

“I see. They seek to create a multi-dimensional being from your Alpha nature?”

I nodded.

“Well, an entire contingent of infernals will be in attendance tonight. We have powerful demons from across many realms. So we’ll have your back.”

I smiled. “That’s good to know.”

“Some of them aren’t very…pleasing…to look at. So if you need to communicate with us, find me.”

“I will.”

She touched my arm, and I could feel the heat radiating off her body. “I want you to know…you’ve been an excellent student, Seth.”

I nodded, feeling my throat clench. “You’ve been a great teacher!”

“Whatever happens as a result of tonight, we…”

She looked up at me. “We appreciate the sacrifice you’re making.”

I nodded. “Thanks.”

“No matter what form you might take…the infernal realms will always be open to you, Seth Atkins. Please allow us to assist. We have many many demonic beings that would help you feel welcome.”

“I’ll remember that.”

“I just…”

She turned away, wiping a tear.

“What?” I said.

“I just hope something of your intellect remains, Seth. You’re such a smart young man. It would be such a waste..”

I gave a wry grin. “Hey, I plan on taking your semester II class!”

She nodded and smiled. “No slacking in that one.”

We walked back into the classroom, and things returned to normal.

I wondered what ‘normal’ would look like tomorrow. I thought of that desolate reality with the creature eating anything and everything in sight, breathing those noxious fumes.

Please don’t let me end up like that. I pleaded with the Universe
.
The Universe did not answer back.

------------------------------------------

Don't want to wait for the exciting conclusion? You can purchase the finished novel now at https://rainemonday.gumroad.com/l/AprilsFool

If you enjoyed this please consider joining my patreon at: https://patreon.com/rainemonday

up
64 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Works better

kyro232's picture

So the lull before the end yup and this chapter tracks better with the other before it

Can't wait

Dee Sylvan's picture

You've got us on pins and needles, Raine. Does The Who take over the world, open the portal and eat all of the inhabitants? Does Seth go through with giving up his Alpha to become a multi-dimensional superhero and defeat the evil Who? Does Seth end up with April? Desdemonia? Mitzi? Lots to sort out. :DD

DeeDee