April's Fool - 26

Printer-friendly version

I found Dad’s keys to his BMW, and I drove up to the Landcaster’s. It was silly to remain in that house when a perfectly serviceable wardrobe was available. I went into Desde…my bedroom and shucked off the horrid robe. How had I allowed myself to stoop so low?

Sighing, I spread cold cream over my face, and moistened then set my hair in rollers. The old motions felt both familiar and strange. I donned one of my black silk robes, then relaxed on the divan where I mixed up an Irish coffee.

The girl had yet to return, but I didn’t blame her for wanting to sew some wild oats. If I wasn’t so old and flabby, I might sew some of my own. I sighed and lit a More 1000 and tapped the ash onto the carpet. Fool maid should know to keep ashtrays near all of my relaxation areas.

I sipped the Irish coffee and closed my eyes, letting the liquid warm me from the inside. Tomorrow I needed to check in on the Council and make sure no one had taken advantage of my recent incapacity to advance their own plots. The only plot we needed to work on was the return of the Old one. If it was going to return, it should have a group of acolytes ready, willing and able to kneel and worship. It would be my job to ensure we had as large a group as possible.

The loss of Jim Atkins on the Council would leave a vacancy for the Alpha Weres…I wondered who I could leverage to fill that seat. I needed someone that wouldn’t be as obstinate as Jim and would work with our cause and not against it.

Of course, with the return of the Old one, the Council could be dissolved. And now that I was the Key, I could ensure a smooth transition for mankind into slavery; at least for the non-magical. Perhaps the Old One would seek a Bride?

I blushed, thinking about it. Of course, mating rituals for an Old One probably were much different than modern rituals. Not to mention, I wondered if offspring from an Old One might eat their way out of their mother’s womb.

I shivered. No, I certainly couldn’t be a bride. But that didn’t mean certain members of the student body from that infernal high school couldn’t be co-opted to that cause. And we simply must have a number of sacrificial lambs to lead to the slaughter.

I took out a pen and paper and began jotting notes. First a number of students and townspeople who should be captured, isolated and prepared to become sacrifices. The second, the possible new Magical Council to act in an advisory capacity to the Old One, of course, ready, willing and able to lend a hand when needed. Third, I listed all the Alpha Weres I knew from Seth’s mind who might be able to be a part of the council but not as insufferable as his father had been.

I tapped a pen to the paper…hmmm. Jim owned a great deal of property in town that would soon be going into receivership. If done right, I could possibly be positioned to offer the considerable financial backing of Landcaster Holdings to absorb the assets. For continuity’s sake, of course, after all there were real people involved in each of those businesses and Landcaster Holdings could absorb the financial obligations and let people continue to work! Then they would be in debt to LH LLC, and in turn me. Mmmm, yes perfect.

The Old One. I had books in the catacombs beneath Landcaster Manor that might have more info. Ugh, they were, of course, warded and booby-trapped, keyed to my essence alone.

I sighed, I’d have to tackle those in the morning, after I went to the bank of course and ensured JAtkins Inc assets would be received appropriately. I’d need to look immaculate as well for that visit, which meant I needed a decent nights’ sleep.

I stubbed out the last of my cigarette, then turned off the lamp. Sliding between the silk sheets of my familiar bed, I felt my eyelids shut almost immediately.

###

“What can I do for you, Desdemonia?” Todd Zimmerman said, the next day. I sat in the offices of JPGoldman and Chase, attorneys at law.

“I’ve recently acquired some knowledge,” I said, giving him a little hand flourish and just the gentlest push of magical will into his mind so he wouldn’t even know. “That JAtkins Inc. Is currently without a founding member.”

“Yes.” Todd pulled up something on his computer. “Both Jim and his son are MIA.”

“There’s nothing to be done about Jim Atkins, but his son—“

I smiled. “Due to an unfortunate magical incident, his son’s essence and memories are now within me.”

Todd nodded. “Well, Jim did leave everything to the son, however, I don’t know how we’d prove this Essence transfer, as you put it, ever occurred.”

“There were witnesses, and I have several that can testify if need be. My concern is Jim…I mean…Dad’s businesses continue on their merry way and not have any hiccups in funding, rent paying, taxes, that sort of thing. Since I am in sole possession of Seth’s memories and Essence, and since Landcaster Holdings has the considerable financial portfolio, I would like to aquire ownership of all property and assets transferred to me.”

Todd nodded. “Well, there would need to be an inquest. And it’s been less than a week that Jim has been gone.”

“I’m sure you’ve heard the rumors of what happened, Todd.” I stood up and walked over to him, leaning down to whisper conspiratorially. “And I know you know how to expedite things.” I touched him softly on the shoulder, with another not-so-gentle push.

He was a tall man, bald, with heavy shoulders and in his late fifties. I knew he was attracted to me, and had been for some time. I leaned over, allowing my bosom to practically fall into his lap. “Can you help me, Todd? Or should I find someone else?”

“Um, no. I can get this done, Desdemonia.”

“Call me, DeeDee, sweet man.” I smiled, and touched him on the nose.

“Yes, uh, DeeDee, I can get this done.”

“Perfect!” I said, standing up. “When can I sign the paperwork?”

He shrugged, looking at his computer. “Uh, give me a few days?”

I smiled, walking toward the door. “Tomorrow afternoon?”

He rolled his eyes. “Yes, Desdem—“

“Dee Dee!”

“Yes, Dee Dee.”

“Wonderful!” I swept toward the door and waited for him to open it. “I knew I could count on you, Todd.”

He smiled. “And if you’d ever like to grab some dinner—“

“Oh, Todd, you know me! Busy busy busy!” I tapped him on the chest, and left the office.

Smiling, I made my way down to the car. Dennis opened the door for me, and I sat in the back of my limousine. I’d decided to go full out today and let people know Desdemonia Fucking Landcaster was back in town.

But a new and improved Desdemonia. I took out a cigarette and lit it, inhaling deeply. Dennis got in and pulled the Limo out onto main street.

“Where to now, Ma’am?” he said.

“Council headquarters, please Dennis.”

I felt a pang that I couldn’t swing by and get Cecilia first. She would be at the studio now, and I’d been neglecting her sorely, even as Ernie. But I had work to do if High Valley was to be the transition location for the next Old One.

I glanced in the mirror and patted my hair back into place. I needed to have it done, I’d decided I needed a new image for a new Desdemonia. No more dark colors and drab black and silver. The new DeeDee would be vivacious and bold, striding forward into the leadership position at the Old One’s feet.

Afterall, it’s not every day you usher in a new era for humanity. Bold leadership required bold sacrifice.

And I was just the woman to do it!

up
94 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Where's the Main Char

kyro232's picture

Did we have a pov shift and are now seeing the story from a different character Im sorry but there is no Seth here hope we get him back sooner rather than latter because it feels like he has been buried under whatever happened to him with the other two and he is nowhere to be seen at all almost like reading completely different story

Knew Seth was idiot for trusting the black mages and hope he gets out of this granted it doesn't look like it's going happen but regardless hope the other two have something final happen to them or they get a lot backlash that sees them suffer for years for this knew they where evil

Never Fear

Raine Monday's picture

Seth is still in there. He just 'thinks' he's Desdemonia at the moment. Also, thank you and everyone for staying with this very twisty turny story! We're into the last act now, so things should be coming to a conclusion soon!

Raine

I get that

kyro232's picture

this chapter was just very jarring from the tone and flow of the story before it and don't know if you meant for it to be so , but if you did congrats on that

Still hoping Seth , Mitzy get a good happy ending here , but other have more then earned to be the playthings for the Who for eternity

Thank you replying to my comment and congrats on writing a story I can't wait to see how it ends

Poor guy

Wendy Jean's picture

I wonder if there's anything left of him at all.

WTF

Dee Sylvan's picture

It seems as though the three way mind meld has given Desdemonia new hope. Who's in charge of Ernest's body while Desdemonia's essence is guiding her old body? Now that The Who's plan has been revealed, does Seth have what it takes to gain back control and block the Ancient One from emerging and taking on a virgin or two? Can Seth send Desdemonia's essence (or soul, or whatever) into the Ancient One and send them both packing? I don't really have a feel for whether Seth is going to end up with April or Mitzi, but he needs to get his sh-t together before it's too late. Are we going to see another body switch before the apocalypse is upon us? Are the books in the catacombs going to help Seth? Now that he is Desdemonia, he can access those books while bypassing the curses or booby traps and perhaps find a way to defeat The Who and Desdemonia. I guess we'll get some answers soon... please! :DD

DeeDee