Dragon's Fang ~ Chapter 5

Printer-friendly version


"That's a different discussion. What I'm trying to figure out is how my father could be a dragon and I not know it. Did my mother know?"



 

 DragonsFang-cov-001_0.jpg

Dragon's Fang

By Shauna

Copyright© 2022 Shauna J. Rousseau
All Rights Reserved.
(Cover typography by Joyce Melton.)
(Cover Image Source: Photo 6936442 / Girl © Marek Paju | Dreamstime.com)

 


 
 
Chapter Five

 


 

I moan in pure ecstasy and feel my mate … and now husband … pulsing and twitching inside of me. I enjoy the immense feeling of joy as he empties into me … again. It's the third time since we got home from our "hunting" trip. We first made sure that Gwen was alright and got settled in at a spare house on the compound, along with the other identified red mages. Then we came home in desperate need of release. Our first one was a madly furious release … feral and animalistic. Our second was not really much less ferocious but starting to be slightly more sensuous. Our third one was a little more deliberate and much more enjoyable. We are just now beginning to start paying attention to the finer details and not just satisfying a carnal need.

I smile at my mate in anticipation of the slower lovemaking now to come. I brace my hands on his pecs as I push my upper body up, still straddling him. I squeeze my pelvic muscles and start rocking and gyrating a little. But with my immediate carnal needs satisfied, I'm no longer in any hurry. And my mind wanders to something that I really need some clarification on … something that's been bothering me ever since we found Gwen and the others. I smile contentedly and sit up completely, straddling him with my bent knees and him still rock-hard inside of me.

He reaches up and caresses my breasts before cupping them and smiles into my eyes.

I take in his smoky aroma with a deep breath and place my hands over his. "I need to know something, Hon." I continue rocking my hips. "As I understand it, someone is born with red magic if one of their parents was bonded with a Dragon Spirit. Right?"

He sits up and wraps his arms around me, pulling me into a tight hug. He starts nuzzling my neck. We're in the middle of having mind-blowing sex and you're worried about the origins of red magic? Am I that unremarkable?

I can sense his amusement through the link and know he's kidding. Oh. You're pretty remarkable … and rare. So …?

He laughs in my neck. He leans back and braces his arms on the bed behind him so that he can look in my eyes. "You're partially correct. It doesn't have to be a parent. It could be someone in the person's lineage that had a Dragon Spirit … a grandparent, or even further back. Not every child in the lineage will have magic, though. Let alone red magic. And there's not even a requirement that a dragon has to be involved. Spontaneous red magic can also occur. Why do you ask?"

I reflexively grind on him as I think. "I'm trying to figure out where my red magic came from. So, it didn't have to be one of my parents?"

Oh, that one's easy, Child! It was your father that had a bonded Dragon Spirit. He was a very honorable dragon that died much too soon … at Grae'Bar's bidding.

Var'Leth? My face turns as red as my magic. You're eavesdropping on our … ummm "mating" time? I cease my sexual ministrations in utter embarrassment.

"The empress is pretty much always in tune with you, my mate! You are bonding with her, after all … you will soon be one. It's nothing to be ashamed of. And she's correct. From what I know from my merged dragon's memories, your father was a great dragon. We were not aware that Grae'Bar had a hand in his early demise, however." He growls ferociously as dark smoke escapes his nose and lips.

I groan. Not only did I broadcast my question to both, but obviously Race can hear her, as well. I try not to dwell on it, however. How did Grae'Bar kill my father? And my mother? Was he involved in her death, too? In fact, this is the first that I have proof that either actually died. They were both just declared legally dead after they disappeared without a trace that day and the legal waiting period was over.

I won't get into details, Child. But your mother was lured into a trap by Grae'Bar's minions, and your father then fell into the trap within the trap when he valiantly went to rescue her. Both were sucked into an intentional portal to nowhere.

Race roars loud enough to literally shake the roof. "That's worse than death! That coward!"

"A 'portal to nowhere?'" I shake my head. "What does that even mean?"

"Exactly what it sounds like! If someone goes through such a portal they are transported to the void. No one has ever returned from such an occurrence. It's normally a tragic accident. For someone to intentionally send anyone through such a portal is unthinkable." He growls and the bed rumbles. "Well, with a few exceptions … I can now easily envision sending Grae'Bar through one!"

I shiver at the thought of being sent to … nothingness. "But wait! How do you know what this 'void' is? You said no one has ever returned …."

Some very powerful beings can link with individuals in the void, Child. Assuming, it has not been too long. Individuals in the void tend to go mad with time.

"So, my parents could still be alive in there? Who do we know that can link with people in the void? I have to know!" I feel tears stream down my face as I fight the sobs that want to follow.

"To do what, Love? Even if they are in there, 'alive' is a very generous word. And there's no way to bring them out. And it's been years … if they are there, they most certainly would have fallen prey to the madness!" Race pulls me into a tight hug.

I have linked with them in the past, Child. It was soon after I realized what had happened. They are there … "alive." If that is what you want to call it. I have not spoken with them in several of your Earth years, however. Your mate is correct. It is best to not think about what you have no control over and focus on what you do.

I shake violently and pound my fists on Race's chest. "I will find a way to bring them back! I vow that I will. What good is it being this all-powerful 'empress,' if you can't bring them back?" I know I'm not being fair, or rational. But I feel like I just lost my parents all over again. I also know I'm close to going nuclear, and I'm having a hard time controlling my anger.

I am sorry, Child. I will attempt to link with them again and let them know that you are doing well. If they are still sane, that knowledge may buy them some time. But I honestly am not sure that is doing them any kindness. She breaks her link.

I fall deeper into Race's embrace as I try and calm my energy levels and stop a nuclear event. All thoughts of continuing our lovemaking are completely gone. I feel like I've been transported to an emotional void of my own ….

 


 

I wake up and feel my swollen eyes. I am cried out, for now, and I still feel drained. But I'm not sure what woke me.

Race has me in a tight hug and I feel like I'm in an oven from the heat he's putting off. He's also snoring quietly in my ear. But none of that is what woke me up.

Something is niggling at my brain. Then it hits me ….

"Are you okay, Love? Is something wrong?" Race gently tightens the embrace he has me in.

I clasp his hands in mine and shake my head. "Something woke me up. Something you said, earlier. You said something about accessing the memories of your merged dragon …. You have his memories?"

He loosens his hold on me and raises up on one elbow before responding. "It's a little more complicated than that. When we merged, I sort of … absorbed Aq'Qour to become Aq'Race. We became a unified being, but it's not like we were just 'mashed up,' or anything. I can access all of Aq'Quor's memories, yes … and he is a part of me, yes. But it's more like he is a support system for me, now. It's hard to explain. You will understand better when you merge with Var'Leth."

"Assuming I do." I sigh. "That's a different discussion. What I'm trying to figure out is how my father could be a dragon and I not know it. Did my mother know?"

Race … I can't bring myself to call him Aq'Race … leans down and kisses my ear. He pulls me back into an embrace as he settles back down in the bed. "It's not uncommon for children of dragons to not know a parent is one until they have magic of their own. That is especially true here on Earth where magic has receded. Your father paid a great price to maintain the bond with his Dragon Spirit here on Earth during those very magicless times. The Dragon Spirit that he was bonded with stayed with your family through the generations to ensure that your family lineage maintained its red magic … so that you could take over as Empress. And yes, your mother knew."

I take in a trembling breath. " That is wrong in so many ways! It's like you're saying I was ordained to become empress! And what happened to the Dragon Spirit my father was bonded with when …." I let the question drop and fight new tears.

"It is your destiny, my Mate!" He shakes his head. "He was trapped with your father when they were transported to the void." He squeezes me.

With that I can't stop the tears … or sobs … anymore.

 


 

I shake my head and push Race out of the shower. Our morning shower "ritual" has left me feeling a little better, but I still have to get ready … and even the ritual isn't pulling me completely out of my funk. I still feel as drained as the shower … with all the water going down its well-maintained drain. But it's going to be a busy day with our red magic newbies, and my hope is that it will help take my mind off of my parents.

I dry off and contemplate putting on my armor … just so I don't have to carry it with me. The problem is that I have to take it off to use the bathroom … and it's in the way when Race and I "take breaks" to relieve our "pressures." For something designed by the gods, it certainly has a severe flaw. Of course, I guess gods don't have to worry about mundane things, like relieving themselves. I mean, do gods have to pee? I don't think so! Anyway, maybe I need to talk to Otohime about this … maybe request a godly alteration? Who are the gods' tailors, anyway? It makes me almost long for my dragon, at this point, since I shouldn't need the armor then. Although even that wouldn't actually solve my problem. From what I understand from Race is that it took him merging with his dragon to maintain that level of protection in his human form … and I'm not ready to fully bond with Var'Leth, let alone merge with her!

I sigh and shake my head at my own rambling musings. I'll just put the armor in my backpack and hope I have time to put it on in an emergency. I quickly put on my makeup and get dressed. Knowing we're going to the compound, I debate on whether to wear my now signature five-inch stilettos, or something more suitable for the wilderness environment … and settle on my stilettos for the height advantage and adding my hikers to my backpack. I may still need to talk to Sis about having a "royal suite" for Race and me … so that I can keep a stash of "essential" stuff there, since it seems we may be spending a lot more time onsite.

Just for the Hell of it, as I'm strapping on my heels, I send out a message to the ether. Mother Otohime, just a thought … would it be possible to alter my armor to allow for my earthly … needs?

Tubular bells explode in my head. Oh, Little One! You are so funny! Yes, that is certainly a design flaw in the armor … I will have to talk to my "tailor." For your edification, no … gods don't have to pee. But we do have other "needs," so your request is certainly completely understandable—even for us. Give me a bit … it should be remedied by the time you get to your sister's "compound."

I blush at the fact that she even responded. I blush deeper at her response. Thank you, Mother.

I don't get a response, which makes me paranoid. I don't like having to rely on her … I always pay some unexpected price when she does things "for" me. But, in this case, I hope the price will be worth it … whatever that price may be. I shake my head and check myself in the mirror, one last time, before grabbing my backpack and going down to finish packing things for the trip.

An hour later, we're at the compound and sitting down for breakfast in the main house before meeting up with the newbies.

Hello, Little One. Your armor has been substantially upgraded and is ready for you to put on.

Wow! That was quick! Thanks. I'll try it out as soon as I get some breakfast. I'm starved!

Tubular bells ring in my head. Taking care of some "needs" so thoroughly just creates new ones! And you and Race were certainly busy taking care of those initial ones earlier this morning. Let me know how the design works out …. And she goes silent.

I quickly eat more than I should and excuse myself. "I'll be down in a minute. I need to test something … Sis, can I use a spare bedroom for a minute?" I grab my backpack.

"Sure." She gives me a funny look. "I'll show you where to go." She gets up and leads me up the stairs to a very nice guest room. "What's up, Sis? Is everything okay?"

I nod as I open my backpack. "Otohime made some adjustments to my armor … to allow for certain … needs."

Sis giggles.

I blush. "You know … like peeing!" I break out in a fit of giggles at her look. "Anyway, she said it's ready for a test run."

Sis bursts out laughing. "So, that's why you need a bedroom? I suppose you'll need Race to help test it out?"

I blush deeper red and shake my head. "No! And you know it! Stop teasing … or I'll make you leave and not see my cool new threads … err … scales!" I pull the garment out and examine it. "Huh. It looks the same to me …." I shrug and undress, not even considering that I'm getting naked in front of my sister. I quickly don the pearlescent-white garment and wait for the familiar constriction and bonding to happen … only it doesn't. Not in the familiar fashion, anyway. I gasp as the usual uncomfortable constriction turns into an excruciating constriction. Before, it was more like a really tight rubber suit on my body. Now, it feels like I'm covered in shrink-wrap, and someone is heating it up to make it fully conform to my body … and shrink it with it. I want to scream, but I can't breathe! Then it feels like little worms drilling into my body … everywhere! Willing it to release doesn't help!

OTOHIME! WTF? Help! I … can't … breathe!

Suddenly, the pressure lessens, and I can breathe. But the suit is still more than skintight. It's like it's burrowed into my skin! I once again try and will it to release … to no avail. I start to hyperventilate and shake uncontrollably. I know I'm going nuclear … but I can't calm myself down!

Race crashes through the closed door at the same time as a bright red flash appears.

Child! You have to get ahold of yourself! Var'Leth is a soothing but firm presence in my head.

Race grabs me from behind and squeezes me, which only augments the sensation of the garment's constriction. He means well by trying to comfort me, but it's doing the opposite.

Otohime places her hand on my head, and I suddenly feel lightheaded … like I'm tranquilized. "Little One! What is this about? You were very close to making a very large hole in the ground and killing everyone for many of your Earth miles around!"

I sway a little at the lightheadedness, but Race supports me. I finally get my breathing under control and feel the energy buildup in me subside. I shake my head. "What did you do to this armor? I thought you were just going to put a couple of … access holes in it. It … it … it feels like it's a part of me, now. And I can't get it off!"

Otohime looks surprised, then thoughtful. After moment, she even looks a little contrite … if a goddess can even look contrite. "I'm sorry, Little One. I just communicated with my 'tailor,' as you call her, and she informed that she did a full upgrade to the armor. It actually is a part of you, now. It's permanently bonded and will always be there to protect you in your human form. Once you are able to transform into a dragon form, it will contract into a special magical 'container' in your Dragon Mark … and then expand when you transform back. It will all be automatic and seamless. You do have 'access' to everything you need, now. As for taking it off … it won't come off until you fully merge with Var'Leth and become a full Dragon. It's now as much a part of you as your katana … or your ring. It is how it should have been from the beginning, but you should have had some warning before you put it on. My 'tailor' and I have … talked about that. It won't happen again."

I take a shaky breath and nod. "Okay, but I want to go on record that this is very disconcerting!" Then it hits me that the armor is invisible. To all standing here, I am butt naked. Not that it matters to those that are here, I guess.

"The bigger problem, Little One, is that you are having trouble controlling your magic." Otohime shakes her head. "I think we may need to speed up your bonding a little, so that Var'Leth can be more of a calming influence on you."

I start to protest, but I suddenly feel warm.

It will be alright, Child. Trust in me … and our bond. This won't complete it, but it will substantially strengthen it.

Then I feel hot … and suddenly exhale white smoke out my nose and mouth that quickly turns black when I notice it. And the world goes as black as that smoke … as I faint.

 


 

I come to in a fever as the memories of what happened rush into my befuddled mind. I don't open my eyes as I lay there … obviously in the guestroom's bed … and start to mentally reach out to Race when I feel a … presence … in my mind.

Don't be afraid, Child. Normally, this would have gone much slower … been a lot more deliberate … to give you time to adjust. Our bond is different than a normal Dragon Spirit–host bond. I'm obviously still alive and not a spirit.

I feel her amusement … as my amusement. It freaks me out, but I'm totally calm … like she has a clamp on my emotions. Her presence is different than my channel to Sis, or my connection to Race. It's like she's a part of me.

Yes, Child. In a way, I am a part of you, now. That part will continue to grow until we merge, and my bodily existence ceases. That will be when you become a full dragon and the new empress.

I feel so hot! I'm burning up! I want to freak out, but I literally can't. It's like I'm on magical Prozac, or something!

In order for me to gain enough foothold in your … soon to be our … mind to control your emotions, I had to move the bond along far enough that it is starting to cause you to exhibit initial dragon traits. In this case, your body temperature has adjusted to that of a dragon. And you likely also noticed that you can breathe smoke, although not fire … yet.

I'm not intentionally trying to fight this … calm, but it's so foreign to me. I want to start hyperventilating again … tremble … something! But I'm as cool as a cucumber … well mentally. I'm surprised I'm not catching the bed on fire with my body heat. Wait! Race heated up more after he merged! Are you telling me I'll get even hotter than this?

I once again feel that foreign amusement that is somehow mine, too. No, Child! You aren't bonding with a spirit, like he was … you are going straight to full dragon. It is hard to understand, I know … but your path is different than the other dragons'. Now, you should attend to your … our mate. I'm sure he is distressed.

I mentally sigh and reach out to Race. I am here, Love. I am … we are okay. Var'Leth is more bonded with me now. I am under control with her help. I feel him take my hand as I open my eyes to his worried smile.

While he was really hot to me before, his hand is now actually cool to my touch. I feel his comforting connection in my mind. You had me worried, Princess! Then I feel … something else through our connection.

"Race? Why do I sense … something, no someone else through our connection?" I swallow … once again, wanting to freak out without a way to do it.

He squeezes my hand. "With your enhanced dragon bond, you can now fully sense my dragon side. You are connecting to my merged Dragon Spirit."

I take a deep breath and want to scream but remain damnably calm … and just nod. But I'm not sure not being able to vent this frustration is good for me.

"Don't worry, Little One! We're going to give you an outlet. There are others with red magic waiting to be trained!" Otohime smiles at me. "Welcome back! Meet us outside and we will get started.

Race squeezes my hand and smiles in a much more relaxed manner than when I first opened my eyes. Not that the worry is completely gone. "I'll let you get dressed and meet you at the training grounds. Mother Otohime has set up a special area for practice … without having to go off-planet. At least for now …."

He portals out, leaving me alone with Sis.

"You certainly know how to keep things lively, Sis." She gives me a cheeky grin. "Now, like your hubby said … get dressed! You can't lay around in bed all day!"

I sigh and give her a dirty look, but get up out of the bed. I pick up my clothes and start putting them on. "How long was I out?"

Sis shrugs. "About ten or fifteen minutes. Long enough for Otohime to craft this magical training ground for us. She obviously wasn't worried about you, anymore … after … whatever happened. I've scanned you and you seem eerily calm, way too hot, and … your dragon bond is clearly more advanced. But you're completely healthy."

As I finish putting on my clothes, I can't help but notice that my skin feels kind of like that of a snake, now. The embedded scales from the armor are, once again, invisible. They're not as prominently palpable as before, since they are embedded in my skin … but that's what makes it feel … so textured … yet smooth. "Where are these training grounds?"

Sis sighs. "On the far side of the property. It will be quite the trek. I hope you're up for it. Of course … as a wolf, I could get there a lot faster. Too bad you can't shift!"

You don't need to shift like her. She can't portal like you, Child. Let's show her what traveling in style is really like!

What do you mean, Var'Leth? I can't portal!

Of course you can, Child! You may have to put up with me in your head more, now. But one of the benefits of bonding to this extent is that you now have the dragon ability to portal … with the power of the empress behind it. Just picture where you want to go.

But I don't know where to go!

Expand your mind, Child. We can see much more than you are used to, now.

I let her guide my mind and can suddenly see the training grounds … and sense Race and the others there. She gives my thoughts a slight nudge and a portal opens up. I grin at Sis' shocked look. "Last one there is a rotten egg!" I laugh and disappear into it in front of her eyes.

I step out in the clearing a split-second later and startle Race. He suddenly grins and pulls me into a huge hug. "Well, well, well! Our little princess is growing up! Portalling now, are we? It's about time! I was getting tired of being your taxi." He growls in my ear. I can't wait to get you back into our bed!

I grin back. "That was wild! And yes … tonight will be special." I look around the clearing and sense that a powerful shield is set up over it.

The other red mages are here and milling around. After about five minutes, Sis finally shows up in all of her neon-pink giant wolf glory.

"It's about time you got here, Sis!" I wink at her. "What took you so long?" I giggle at the sour look on her face when she shifts back to her human form.

"No fair portalling! You cheated!" She laughs and gives me a hug. "That's an awesome power! I'm so jealous." She looks around and shrugs. "But now what? How do we train these ante-dragons?"

Otohime steps out of the woods and gestures nonchalantly with a hand. A huge boulder … almost a small mountain … appears in the center of the clearing. It must weigh several hundred or thousand tons. She looks straight at me. "First, Little One, you are going to obliterate that stone. I want you to hit it so hard that it atomizes. I don't want to see as much as one mote of dust from it fall to the ground. I will have the others over here under a separate safety shield … just in case. Don't worry … nothing you do will escape the larger dome. I need you to release that pent-up emotion that Var'Leth is keeping bottled up in that pretty little head of yours!" She simply snaps her finger and everyone but me is under a shimmering energy dome … several hundred yards away.

Have fun, Child. Just focus … and let loose!

I smile at Var'Leth's encouragement and feel her loosen her clamp on my emotions. All of the raw emotions that have threatened to literally explode from me come rushing back and I start shaking violently again. I draw on Var'Leth's emotional support and stability, Sis' healing magic, and Race's undying love. I focus on the calming lessons that Master Yoshi taught me, as well as my yoga. I close my eyes and concentrate on the small mountain with my expanded mind … and send the equivalent of a small nuclear bomb at it. My red war magic pours from me in a large, unfettered stream and straight into the stone. The metallic trace elements in the rock start violently vibrating and the mountain simply disappears in a blinding light. There's no explosion … but the release of energy is very frightening. Everything not protected by a shield under the dome is simply … gone. And the air under the dome is now highly charged with a palpable energy. Not to mention the huge gaping hole where the stone used to be.

Nice work, Child!

Otohime waves her hand, and the energy dissipates … as does the shield over the others. The dome disappears and she is suddenly standing next to me again. "Nice job, Princess! How do you feel now?"

I take in a deep cleansing breath and let it out slowly. How do I feel? I smile. "Freakin' awesome! That was so cathartic! But what would have happened if I hadn't been under your protective dome? I mean … there's nothing left under where it was!" I look at the barren ground. Not one blade of grass or anything else organic is to be seen.

She shakes her head. "You would have obliterated everything within a radius of tens of your miles." She waves her hand again. Everything goes back to the way it was before my release. It's like it never happened. "You needed both the release … but also to see the impact of that release. We could have gone to the training planet, but it was also important for the others to see this. Especially since that was just a small taste of what you are actually capable of."

I pale.

It was why I was always worried when we were first probing your connection to your sister. Race seems calm in spite of his dire words. I'm glad you have it under control now!

"So. Let's get to training the others, now that you are all mellowed out!" Otohime smiles. "Carry on, Princess!" And she disappears as the others start plying me with questions.

up
166 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

“You would have obliterated

“You would have obliterated everything within tens of you miles”. Now THAT is a sobering thought. Combined with “Carry on, Princess” HAS to be sobering for her. Obviously more to come. Whatever it is, it will certainly be interesting. Another wonderful series in the BCTS library.

It too shall carry on!

:)

I am glad you are enjoying the series!

HUGS!
S

Bbq

So, after that display of "vanishing" the big boulder Lexi shouldn't have a problem bbqing herself a few dinos if she'd suddenly feel hungry (unless, maybe, if they're under massive shiels).

Thx for another nice chapter^^

Mmmmmmmmmmm!

Brontosaurus burger! Tastes like chicken.

(And it probably would, since chickens are little dinosaurs.)

mmmm Grae'Bar

Should prob. get his affair in order.

alissa

A LONG way to go, yet …

But yeah, his power may soon no longer be unrivaled on Earth! :)

HUGS!
S

Well it had to be done

Samantha Heart's picture

The bonding had to strengthen to keep The princess calm other wise everything with in 10 miles would be dead including her. The armor being part of her without warning was a cruel but I guess it had to be done. Looking forward to the next chapter

Love Samantha Renée Heart.

And so it was …

Now to see what the long term consequences will be! :)

Thanks for the comments!

HUGS!
S