Jason's Story - Part 16

Printer-friendly version

Jason's Story

by Kristine Roland

Chapters 47 - 49. The continuing story of Jason, a young boy that is coming to terms with his transgendered nature, and his mostly supportive family.

There is a letter to the editor, blasting the High School for admitting you as a girl. It reads,"

Dear Editor,

It has come to our attention that the High School has recently admitted a 15 year-old male student, who will attend school as a girl. An assembly is planned for the first day of school to instruct the student body on acceptable behavior toward this student. As a parent of a child that attends the high school, I find this highly unacceptable. Why my child must be exposed to this deviant, perverted behavior is beyond me.

...

Authors Note: Thanks to Joni W for editing this section for me!

Chapter 47

Richard, Kristine and Jason dressed as Kelly, sat in the high school principal's office. They were there to meet with Mr. Martin, the principal and Mr. West the school superintendant.

"Mr. and Mrs. Anderson, surely you know that such a request is highly irregular. This is a place of learning, and having Jason attend dressed as a girl would be quite a distraction. I don't think that it would be fair to the other students." Mr. Martin said.

"Mr. Martin, the whole town already knows about Kelly. It is going to be a distraction anyway and most likely abusive, so the school is already going to have to deal with this situation, whether Kelly attends as Jason, or as Kelly. It is our hope that meeting Kelly will put a human face to the problem and actually aid her in being accepted. The documents in front of you have been prepared by Kelly's doctors; recommending that Kelly begin full time real life trials. She is under the care of a psychologist, a pediatrician and an endocrinologist. You also have several briefs prepared by my attorneys regarding state law and transgendered children's rights to an education. The fact is in this state the law is fairly clear, and is on Kelly's side." Richard said.

Mr. West looked over the papers and looking at Mr. Martin said, "They are correct. State law is fairly clear on the rights of Gay, Lesbian and Transgender students. The paperwork appears to be in order, so we will be prepared to enroll Kelly in September."

"Good, than we need to discuss the safety precautions that you will take for Kelly and Julie. They have both been the target of a lot of hate mail this summer. And they will need to be protected here at the school." Richard said.

"Do you have the names of the people that sent those?"

"Yes, here is a list. The violent ones have been reported to the police."

"Harassment will not be tolerated here, we will insure that. We will have to address this to the student body when school starts, including some education on what transgender is. Starting with sensitivity training for the staff, I can think of some on the staff that are going to have trouble with this." Mr. West told Mr. Martin.

"I expect you to review the assignment of teachers for Kelly and Julie to insure that they are not in a class with a teacher that is unable to be fair and objective." Kristine said.

"We expect all of our teachers to be fair and objective, Mrs. Anderson. We will do our best to make sure that the standards are met." Mr. Martin replied.

"One further detail needs to be agreed upon from a logistical standpoint. Parents will be understandably concerned about Kelly using the girl's bathrooms. I don't believe that having Kelly using the boy's bathrooms is quite appropriate either. Also, changing clothes for gym presents a similar problem. I think that the best solution to both of these logistical issues is for Kelly to use the individual bathroom, located in the nurse's office, for both purposes. Is that agreeable?" Mr. West asked.

"Yes, that is agreeable. We do not want Kelly in the boy's bathrooms or locker rooms, and we actually do think that having her in the girl's rooms at this time is probably not advisable." Kristine said.

"Then we are in agreement. Any other issues you would like to cover at this time?" Mr. West asked.

"No, I think that is it for now." Richard stated.

"Kelly, I wish I could tell you that everything was going to be fine and that you will have no problems in the next year, but as a realist, I can say that there will be those that will give you a hard time. What I can say is that we will do everything we can to keep that to a minimum and to address the problems as they come up. Be sure to let us know what is happening and what we can do to help." Mr. West said.

"Thank you Superintendant West." Jason said.

Chapter 48

"Well, you made the local paper today." Kristine said to Jason.

"What? What did it say?" Jason asked.

"There is a letter to the editor, blasting the High School for admitting you as a girl. It reads,"

Dear Editor,

It has come to our attention that the High School has recently admitted a 15 year-old male student, who will attend school as a girl. An assembly is planned for the first day of school to instruct the student body on acceptable behavior toward this student. As a parent of a child that attends the high school, I find this highly unacceptable. Why my child must be exposed to this deviant, perverted behavior is beyond me.

This is just further evidence of the demise of our culture. That the school would even entertain such a request, instead of contacting family services to report child abuse is a testament to the world of political correctness. How a confused fifteen year old can be presumed to have enough knowledge to make such a decision, and his parents to allow him to act on it, is pure and simple a travesty. This child will clearly never be cured of his delusion, since he is not being treated for it.

That is bad enough, but to inflict this confusion on our healthy children! This is why public schools should be closed down and replaced with a vouchering system to allow parents the choice of private schools to send their children too.

The Board of Education meets next Wednesday, I encourage all parents to attend that meeting and demand that this student be expelled.

Signed Angry Parent.

Editor's note: The above letter was edited to remove the name of the student.

"Like there is anyone in this town that is not aware of whom that would be. I guess we will be going to the Board of Education meeting on Wednesday night, what do you think Kelly?" Jason's mother asked.

"I'm sorry Mom." Jason replied.

"Don't be. Your father and I expected as much. I wonder which of the school staff wrote this letter or I suppose is more likely leaked it to someone else to write the letter. It does not really matter. The state law is very specific on this subject; they cannot really deny you. We are quite fortunate that we live here, because in most states, you would not have protection."

"I just hate that I have put you and Dad through this. I've heard you telling off people you have been friends with since as long as I can remember. Now you have to go fight the town at the board meeting… I just feel so guilty about it all."

"Stop it Kelly. You are not doing this to make our lives difficult. This is happening because there is something in you that needs to do this. You feel guilty because these people we thought were friends are not acting like friends. They are not supporting us when we need them. That is not because of you, that is because they aren't really friends. Some of them may come around, others won't. Those that don't I don't need. We have had quite a few of our friends be truly supportive. I know John took it hard, but he seems to be coming around. You had the whole gang here yesterday, and it seemed like old times."

"Mostly. Steve and John's eyes nearly popped out of their heads the first time they saw me. Sue and Kathy laughed at them and told them to stop drooling, or they were going to make them jealous. It was kind of funny, but even though I have no interest in boys, it felt kind of nice that they thought I was attractive." Jason smiled.

"That is something I understand. It is always nice to be appreciated; even though it is also a bit disconcerting the way men look at us sometimes. Well, let me call Julie's mother, we are going to need them on Wednesday as well."

Chapter 49

Jason and his parents walked into the Board of Education meeting, followed by a large contingent of their supporters. Jason was dressed in a simple but pretty dress. Michele had done his hair and makeup for the evening. Julie held Jason's hand, and gave it a squeeze of encouragement. Kathy, Sue, John and Steve and most of their parents were also there. All four of his Grandparents, and his Aunt Sally were there as well. His mom had gone over to her parent's house as soon as they got home and explained things, fortunately before they had heard about it through the grapevine.

The Board of Education meeting had been moved from the relatively small town hall to the high school auditorium, in anticipation of the large crowd. Jason looked around and it seemed to him that the whole town was present. The board was set up at a table that was set upon the stage, and each of the board members had a microphone.

A podium was setup with a microphone in the orchestra seating area.

Jason and his group made their way to the front section, and took seats that had been reserved for them. Jason noticed people staring at him and pointing in his direction.

Mr. Lewis, the board president, used his gavel and asked for the crowd to quiet down and take their seats. It took a few minutes, but the crowd did settle down.

Mr. Lewis asked Jeremy Stone, a sophomore, to lead them in the pledge of allegiance. When he was done, Mr. Lewis, said, "Thank you, Jeremy. Ok the meeting is now in order. Members of the board, I suggest that considering the circumstances that we dispense with the normal business of the board for this meeting and address the issue that has brought out the community in such large numbers. Any objections?"

Mr. Lewis looked at each board member, and said, "None noted. Before we allow members of the community the opportunity to speak, I will start by adding into the record, that the student in question has properly applied as per state law, to be considered a transitioning student. She has properly met the requirements of submitting affidavits from her attending doctors, including a licensed psychologist that she has begun the real life trial. State Law is clear and concise as to our responsibilities to the student in question and we will carry them out. Also, to clear up the inevitable question, the student will be using the single occupant restroom in the nurse's office, for her bathroom needs, as well as for changing for physical education classes. Now everyone that wishes to address the board will be granted the opportunity, but I will ask that you try to keep your comments brief; a maximum of five minutes, and keep it courteous. If you wish a turn, please see one of the two students at the desks on the far right and far left, to sign up. We will call your name when it is your turn."

A number of people got up and signed up. A runner brought the first few names up to Mr. Lewis, who pounded his gavel and said, "Alright, first up, Karen Jones. Come up to the podium please."

Karen Jones went over to the podium and said, "Thank you Mr. Lewis. From your statement it sounds like this meeting is a waste of time, you imply that you have no options under state law to change this ridiculous decision. I don't understand how our legislature could have enacted such a crazy law, which would allow a boy to come into this school dressed as a girl. What are his parents thinking to allow, even encourage this behavior, by sending their child to school this way. Why is the state not stepping in and putting this child into the care of responsible people that would teach this child that just because you wish for something, does not mean you can have it. It is a sad statement on society that we are even having this discussion today. Thank you."

A number of other parents expressing similar views were heard from next.

Mr. Lewis then called Shelly Sanders. Julie's mother made her way to the podium.

"Thank you, Mr. Lewis. I have sat here and listened to the prior speakers come up here and give their opinions as to why this young lady…"

"You mean sissy, he's no lady! And your daughter is dating him, does that make her a dyke!" A voice from the crowd shouted out. Others shouted in agreement.

Mr. Lewis banged his gavel. "That will be enough of that. Any more outbursts like that and I will have Officer Dowling start removing people!"

The crowd quieted down.

Mr. Lewis said, "Mrs. Sanders, please continue. We are resetting your five minutes."

"Thank you, again, Mr. Lewis. As I was saying, I have been listening to all of the reasons why this young lady should not be allowed to attend our high school. What I have heard is a bunch of ignorant people that no nothing of what it is to be transgendered, or what the family has done to arrive at this point. When I first learned about Kelly, no sense using euphemisms, we all know who this is about, and came to know that my daughter Julie was dating a boy that wanted to be a girl; my first reaction was to forbid her to see Jason any more. Julie, however, stood up for her friend, and told me that she would not, in fact could not, obey such an order. She made me listen and learn. The Anderson's are not doing this on a whim; they have been working with a psychologist. They have done their homework, and what they know, that most of you don't know, is that most children that show transgendered tendencies never outgrow it. And that those that are not given the opportunity to express themselves, as they see themselves, sink into depression and many try to kill themselves, quite a few with regrettable success. The Andersons would rather have a live girl child, then a dead son. That makes them good parents to me. Those of you that question the Andersons as good parents, have no idea what that means. Most of you know me, my husband and I are known to be highly conservative. I am here to support Kelly and her parents, because it is the right thing to do. Thank you, Mr. Lewis."

"Thank you, Mrs. Sanders."

The meeting continued on like this, some people arguing against Kelly, others offering support. Mr. Lewis called on John Fienberg.

"Thank you, Mr. Lewis. Most of you knew my son, Chris. You also know that Chris killed himself several years ago. What most of you don’t know is why. I suspect that most of you assumed that the casket was closed because of how he killed himself. The details were never released. Chris was very much like Jason Anderson. Unlike the Andersons, my wife and I were unable to see or understand Chris's need. He had tried to talk to us; I shut him down. I told him that there would not be any sissies living in my house. I made him try out for football, which he was good at, though he hated it. And he suffered, quietly. Until the one day when Chris could not take it anymore. My wife and I found Chris, in his bedroom. He had taken a concoction of sleeping pills and alcohol, and he was already dead. He had left us a note, where he explained that he was sorry that he could not be the son that I needed…."

Mr. Fienberg was struggling to speak at this point, and the auditorium was quiet, except for the sounds of people crying for him.

He took a breath and said, "I'm sorry, it is difficult to talk about, but I must share this with you all, so that you can try to understand why this is so important, and why the Andersons deserve your support, not these senseless attacks. Chris said that he was sorry that he could not be the son that I needed, that he was a girl, and he hoped that there was something to re-incarnation, because he needed to try again. He made one last request; on the bed next to him, neatly folded was a black dress, and everything else that goes with it. He asked to be buried in this outfit. That is why his casket was closed. I could not bear the community finding out, yet my wife and I could not refuse this final request. I wish that I could have had the courage that the Anderson's have shown and been able to give my boy… oh, my boy… my boy… I wish I could have been strong enough to let my boy go and welcomed him as my daughter. Kristine, Richard you are better parents than I was, may god bless you."

With that Mr. Fienberg, broke down. His wife came to him, and Kristine, Richard and Jason, came over and helped her walk him out of the auditorium.

The crowd remained quiet and stunned. There were sounds of people crying, and the board members themselves were struggling to keep their composure.

When the Anderson's returned, Mr. Lewis said, "Well… I guess we need to continue on." He started to read down the list, and one after another declined, saying that everything had already been said.

Then Mr. Lewis called on Brad's father Mr. Johnson.

"Well, well, so we get to hear a sob story, about another sissy. One that was such a failure that he offed himself and we are supposed to feel guilty now and let this crap go without a fight. If Chris Fienberg wanted to be a girl so much, maybe he did the right thing. Maybe he is a girl now somewhere, since he believed in re-incarnation. Maybe that is what anybody that is so screwed up in the head as to want to cut off their dick should do. Maybe they just need a little help. What they don't need is to be told that it is ok for them to prance around the school in drag. And we shouldn't be letting them."

Mr. Lewis banged the gavel, "Mr. Johnson, this is on the record. Threatening to kill someone is a criminal offense!"

"I ain't threatening anybody. I'm just saying if they are gonna kill themselves they need help. Are you saying that they don't?"

"Not the kind of help you are talking about sir. I suggest you take your seat before I have to have Officer Dowling arrest you."

"That's fine, I'm finished talkin' anyway." Mr. Johnson walked out of the auditorium.

"Evelyn, please make sure you make a copy of that recording and forward it to Officer Dowling."

"Yes, Mr. Lewis."

"Alright, is there anyone else that wants to speak before I yield to Kristine Anderson?" Mr. Lewis, looked around, no one rose.

"Ok, Mrs. Anderson, your turn." He told her.

"Thank you Mr. Lewis. Well… I had a lot to say about statistics, etc. I am not going to bore you with them. If Mr. Fienberg's testimony is not enough for you to understand why Richard and I are supporting Kelly, then no amount of talking from me is going to convince you. The bottom line is that regardless of what your beliefs are, state law is clear. Kelly has every right to attend school, in the manner that is most conducive to her learning. We would have preferred to have kept this secret for a bit longer, to be certain that it is what is right for her, but since she was so publicly outed, we feel strongly that this is her best chance to get the education she deserves. We know that there are those of you that have strong feelings on this, but we expect you to be adults and to treat our daughter at least civilly."

"Thank you Mrs. Anderson. Now you have all had your hearing. As I said at the outset, state law is very clear, perhaps now you understand better why the law is what it is. I want to publicly thank Mr. Fienberg, on the record, for his courage in sharing his story with us today. I cannot imagine what it was like for him to do so. With that I am going to call for this meeting to adjourn."

up
100 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Kristine, A good story as

Kristine,
A good story as it is really relevent to the current on going "fight" in Colorado about the young girl there and her school district plus CO state laws. I can forsee a series of problems coming for Kelly/Jason and most will be based on the children of the small minded, bigoted parents. Children learn from their parents and if the parents teach and espouse emnity towards others who do not reflect their beliefs or are not of their mind set, then that is what the children learn. I am really happy for Kelly that she does have many supporters and friends who will stand by her in this time and hopefully throughout her life and future. J-Lynn

Jason's Story -- Wow

I find myself, angry at the bigots, feeling compassion toward the father who suffered for his child, and supportive of Kelly's parents. That makes this a well written story. Thanks Please continue

staci

Highly recognizable

and well told story Kristine, thank you for sharing. Such a pity that people are rigid so often, I wonder if this is because of fear for the unknown, threatening them in their ingrained ways and disposition. Maybe because they are a little afraid that it will reflect badly on themselves if they show some understanding and/or compassion, or maybe they are just so thick and dense they believe there is only 'one way' in the world.

Or all of the above. *Sigh* Anyhow, it's a very enjoyable story, though I shed a few tears on learning the faith of Mr. and Mrs. Fienberg's daughter.

One question though. Why do you keep insisting on using Jason, his, and him? Or are you waiting for 'the switch' to proper pronouns when she starts school eventually?

Jo-Anne

Jason's Story - Feedback request, on approach I've planned

KristineRead's picture

Thanks for the feedback. I did do some reading online to see what was happening at some of these schools, and some of the negative comments are consolidations of things I saw people saying about it. I wanted this part to be realistic.

I had intended on using the Fienberg's story to help the Anderson's win over some of the people on the fence for some time now. It was a tough part to write, so I'm glad that it seems to be working.

Jo-Anne, I was crying while writing about Chris Fienberg myself. My heart goes out to those that had no support and simply could not go on anymore. Never really the answer, but so many chose it.

I am still referring to Jason in the prose as Jason, because I feel that Jason still thinks of himself as Jason. He thinks he wants to be Kelly, but he has not actually accepted it himself yet, not truly. You will notice that none of people in Jason's life refer to him in the masculine when he is presenting as Kelly, (except those that do not accept her.)

My intention has been that only if and when Jason fully accepts that he IS Kelly, instead of Jason who would like to be Kelly, that the prose will switch.

What do you all think about that? One of the reasons I started posting here was to get feedback as I went along to improve the story. Is that a reasonable device, or am I overthinking it? Please let me have some feedback on it to chew on.

Hugs,

Kristy

Feedback on Approach taken

Robyn B's picture

I had felt that particularly in the last two postings that maybe the author was being a bit insensitive to Kelly in her emergance.

Having read your posting above, I am in agreement in your approach. Keep it up.
As you have said; all the people in support of Kelly are addressing her as Kelly and are making the efforts needed to adjust their own understanding of Kelly's situation. My own parents had a difficult time of adjusting to my new name and pronouns when I commenced transition and have now been able to complete that journey since I had my SRS nearly three years ago.

In writing a story about a transgendered teen in transition, Kelly's issues are not the only ones needing to be considered. Kelly's nuclear family, her extended family, her friends and then their families all will play a part in filling out this story in the way each of them deals with the issues facing them.

A terrific story within the pantheon of transgendered teen stories some of which can become pretty hard work reading. This story is easy to read, constructed well, chaptered appropriately and has a well developing story line.

A word to your proof readers: keep up the good work. Not many typos are getting through making it even easier to read.

Thanks Kristy.

Robyn B

Robyn B
Sydney

Thanks Robyn B, very nice to wake up to this morning!

KristineRead's picture

Robyn,

Thanks so much for the feedback. This was very nice to wake up to this morning!

Thanks to Joni W for all her work in proofreading for me, she does a great job, and I very much appreciate her efforts, so I am glad to see her work recognized in your comments.

Hugs,

Kristy

Mm, well. Since you ask for it

Up till now, the coming out and emerging of Kelly has been a textbook example for how you'd like a m-2-f transition happen. More or less. While there is of course the bigotry and insulting from the various factions, also there is one family relative ( with further along related ones ) who doesn't, can't or will ever understand and/or accept Kelly's being, that in itself is hardly oppressing enough.
Otoh there is understanding, support, and acceptance from parents, friends, prospective partner, her parents, and more.

Even more in her favour is her age, 15, ( just! ) physical aspects, being not overtly tall, not muscle-build, androgynous features. What more do you want? *Blood?* ( Errh, sorry, that was from an old sitcom sketch or something. Heh ). Anyway, what you'd need to explore here is what Jason / Kelly is agonizing about. Should be agonizing about. What is s/he?

Maybe give her/him something to agonize about that's more or less related to self-definition. Like a sudden interest in cute boys or something. That will shake her up. Wondering of course what she wants out of life, future, SO, children. I mean, if s/he and Julie would like to have children, eventually, now is still the possibility for Kelly to be the biological father. IF s/he decides to being Kelly in full, it could mean SRS. I'm not saying it _has_ to be like that, but afaik most m-2-f TG do prefer the operation. But whatever the end will be, it is something to discuss and anguish about. Excellent writing material.

Also there is the looming challenge to not 'only' being TG, but being gay also. I mean, if she's Kelly and her SO is Julie, wouldn't that mean that she's gay also. Well you'd call it lesbian then, but hey. Any way you turn and twist, Kelly's sexual orientation will, more then never, be challenged by others to being gay. -The horror! One of the big deadly sins across the pond-

You could also travel further along the bigot's highway and have Mr. Johnson do some nasty titbits and such, which will also add to the troubles and tribulations for Jason / Kelly. That could muddy proper clarification and self-definition for quite some time. Or just the opposite even.

Just some rambling from my side of the story. Maybe you can do something with it? You're the writer, I only like to read it. Well, only... A lot really.

Jo-Anne

Thanks Jo-Anne for your thoughts, I don't see it as rambling

KristineRead's picture

Jo-Anne,

All good points. I will definitely be delving more into Jason/Kelly's thinking about him/herself. I imagine many of the things you have mentioned here will have to be addressed one way or another. Jason has already expressed that he wants to be a parent, when discussing with Julie, Kathy and Sue the first time they got together. It is definitely on his mind.

I will have to let all of this stew in my head for a bit.

Thanks again for the feedback, I really do appreciate it.

Hugs,

Kristy

The Battle Lines Are Drawn For Jason/Kelly

And now who will suffer? Kelly will because of bigots. She has support, but will this divide the school and community or will the comunity support Kelly?
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

welcoming constructive comments

Cindy Lou's picture

It is encouraging to me to hear your desire to work on your story... and see you do it. Early on, I felt the beginning of a fantasy with departures for plausible reality. Later, I think around part 12, I saw a good balance between fantasy and reality... and also began to sob. Both fantasy and high fantasy have their realities. Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and others have totally imagined settings, but the characters, relationships, and consequences are real life. I recognize the school I went to in Hogwarts. I see the addictions, heroism, power hunger, and faithfulness in Middle Earth. If I were you I would be wanting to go back towards the beginning and try to balance it out from the beginning; but I am more of a perfectionist perhaps. It seems to me that it would be disingenuous or lack integrity to have tried to water down the reality in the seriousness of these chapters... unless it were in a different culture (or on another planet).

Jo-Ann's point that Jason needs to be a bit more transparent in his own personal struggles I think is good. Too much introspection might make him an "analytical" person he does not seem to be. I can see him working things out with his girl-friends as many girls do. The boys can be good sounding boards, but perhaps more shallow. Maturity is sure a tough call at this age... maybe waffling between scenes.

I like your consistency in referring to Jason as Jason... but have to admit that it has a couple of times seemed wrong. Still have not put my finger on it. I think it may be contextual. I wonder if, in the end, it will prove to be better tieing in Jason's final decision or some other criteria will work best.

I have to praise you on a couple things. One is the success of story flow to the point of being wrapped up in a page turner that took me away from my time and into the story. To me that is a major success. Another "hooray" are the big learning leaps you seem to be taking. I am learning so much from your work too.

Thank you for your many gifts in your story, work, and open sharing.

Aren't faithful proofers worth their weight in platinum!

Thank you...

...Mr. Fienburg.

-Liz

Successor to the LToC
Formerly known as "momonoimoto"

I'm Sorry

This is where I need to stop. I tried to start the next chapter and I just couldn't do it. This hits far to close to home, and pushes too many buttons. I'm crying as I sit here. I found out awhile back that the cemetary where my parents are buried with the rest of my extended family won't accept my body. My parents had bought three spaces as at the time I wasn't expected to live to my teens. As now the sounds in my hourglass are about to run out I decided to make sure everything was in place to make things easier for my brothers. This rejection has shattered me. I know all too well what Jason is going through and I can't undergo it again, even third-hand.

Kristine, you have written a fantastic story, I'm just too weak to read it.


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin