Chapter 6 - Friends in Need

Printer-friendly version

Link: The Wisher's Paradox Title Page and Description

---

Sitting at the Grant's dining room table, Christina felt the weight of her change weighing on her more with each passing minute. Kathy is still in love with me, but she can't even face me! Mother and Daddy don't even know me, I have no future, no past... no hope. If I didn't promise Mrs. Grant I'd wait, I would just leave. Biting her lower lip, she waited.

When the front door opened, the girl jumped in a start. Seeing Mr. Grant come in, the two locked eyes for a moment before Christina looked down.

"Hello!" George Grant greeted the new girl as he closed the door. "Are you a friend of Kathy's?"

With a shy nod, Christina stared at her lap. "She's in her room, talking to Mrs. Grant. She asked me to wait here."

Looking at his watch, George shook his head. "It's getting kind of late. You should be getting home... uh... what's your name?"

"Christina." she mumbled. "I promised Mrs. Grant I'd wait here until she was done talking to Kathy."

Pursing his lips, George shook his head. "Well, I think you should be getting home, Christina. It's seven-thirty. Don't worry! I'll explain to Linda... Mrs. Grant. Whatever it is, it'll wait until tomorrow." Walking over to the door, he put his hand on the knob and looked at her expectantly.

Getting up reluctantly, Christina made her way over to the door and looked up at the man she'd known almost as long as her own father, and loved nearly as much. "I shouldn't leave without Mrs. Grant saying it's OK, Mr. Grant. I promised her!"

Opening the door, George smiled but was stern. "Go on home, Christina."

Walking out the door, the girl heard it close behind her, heading down the walkway and down the street, nowhere to go as the sun began to set and her tears began to fall.

"What do you mean you told her to go home?" Linda yelled. "Christina has nowhere to go, George!"

Her husband was stunned. After he told Christina to go home, he went to his bedroom to change out of his work clothes. He'd just finished changing when he heard the commotion in the living room. Hearing his daughter Kathy yelling at his wife, he'd charged out to put a stop to it. What he'd seen baffled him. His wife stood there speechlessly with tears rolling down her cheeks while Kathy berated her and the woman just took it.

After getting Kathy to calm down, she told him the argument was all about Christina leaving. When he told Kathy that he was the one to make the girl go home, it was Linda who'd turned on him.

"How was I supposed to know that, Linda!" he shouted back. "You didn't call or text me to say Kathy had a guest over tonight! It's a school night! She's never allowed to have friends over on a school night!"

"Christina's a special case!" Linda shouted. Calming down, the woman tried to explain in a way that he wouldn't think was insane. "Her... her parents aren't available. I'm sorry I didn't let you know, but it was all last-minute!"

Shrugging, George didn't look concerned. "OK, so call her and tell her to come back! I'll explain that it was my fault and..."

"Christina doesn't have a cell phone, Daddy!" Kathy shouted. "We can't call her! Who knows where she went! She couldn't go home!"

"Why didn't she tell me that?" he snapped.

"It... it's complicated, dear." Linda hedged. "Her... her parents are having... problems. I said she could stay here. We've got to find her, George! In her state, she might hurt herself!"

"We should call the police." he stated simply as he headed for the phone.

"No!" both Kathy and Linda shouted together.

Stopping short, he looked at them as if they'd both gone crazy. "Look, what's going on here? Why don't you want me calling the police? That's what they're there for!"

Stepping up calmly, Linda tried to explain without explaining. "George? Do you trust me?"

"Of course I do!" he answered, hurt that she would even have to ask.

"Then I'm asking you to do what I ask without knowing why. When did she leave?"

"Right after I got home. About fifteen minutes ago."

Grabbing her purse, she headed toward the door. "I need you to get in your car and start looking for her, George! I'll take mine. Kathy? You stay here in case she comes back!"

Wanting to help look, Kathy ran up to her. "I wanna come with you Mom!"

"No!" Linda shouted. "You have to stay! If she comes back, you need to be here to make sure she doesn't leave again! Please, sweetie! The more time we waste, the worse our chances of finding her before..." Pausing, she tried to say what she feared without scaring Kathy. "...before she gets in trouble!"

Nodding, Kathy backed away while her mother ran out the door, George right behind her after grabbing his keys and wallet. Once they were gone, Kathy went over to sit by the phone and began to pray while she cried. God? Please don't let Christina get hurt! I'll do anything! You can have me instead! Please! I'm begging you! Protect her?

Walking the few blocks to her parents' house, Christina didn't know where else to go. Standing outside her home, she watched in the windows, hiding in the bushes. She could see the strange car parked on the street, occasionally seeing a couple of strange men walking around her living room like they were searching for something. When she saw her mother Ruth, she nearly cried at how distraught the woman looked.

Hearing a car coming, she ducked further out of sight until it passed slowly. Peeking out, she saw it was Kathy's mother's car. She was about to come out to wave her down when her front door opened, sending her back into hiding.

"Try not to worry, Mrs. Cocoran." one of the men tried to reassure her. "We have this Christina person's fingerprints, as well as video and pictures taken at the hospital. Whoever's behind your son's disappearance, the girl is the key to finding them and Walter. We have pictures of her out to every officer in the area. One of them is bound to spot her sooner or later."

"Thank you, Agent Stewart." David responded as he held Ruth, who looked like a hollow shell. "We'll be here if you need us for anything."

Watching the two FBI agents leave, Christina turned and saw her parents still standing outside their door. When the agents' car finally pulled away, the two turned and went back inside.

Remaining in her hiding place, Christina cried for her lost life and home, as well as for her devastated parents. Remaining there for some uncounted time, the darkness of the night deepening, the girl slowly started walking away, not even sure where she was going.

Christina found herself behind a supermarket in a strip mall. Smelling the food from the restaurant next door, her stomach growled as she thought how that simple sandwich and glass of milk might be the only meal she would have for some time. Spotting a cardboard box that must have been for a stand-up freezer, she headed toward it; the heat of the late spring day sapping away in the dry desert air and turning cold.

Tipping the box over, she crawled inside it and pulled the flaps closed behind her. Crawling to the far end, she leaned on the bottom until the box tipped back upright, spilling her on her head and making her dizzy. Sitting down in the bottom of the box, she settled in, laced her fingers together, and closed her eyes.

God? It... it's me... Christina. I'm an idiot! I thought becoming a girl would make me happy, but it's terrible! I have no home, no family, no past, and no future! I've tried all day to be good, but it's just getting harder! Everything always goes wrong! I don't want to complain, because this is what I always wanted... being myself, I mean... but it's too hard! I don't know what to do! If I get caught, the police are gonna throw me in jail for helping kidnap me! No one'll believe me if I tell 'em the truth, so I'll probably end up in a foster home! Even if it's not like on TV or in the movies, it still won't be with Mother and Daddy, and they'll be heartbroken when I never come home!

Sighing in defeat, she continued. I know praying isn't supposed to be all about me, so can you do something for me? Can you make Mother and Daddy not be so sad? I know you can't like, make them forget me, but can you maybe give them happy dreams of having Walt back? That way they at least get a little time with the son they really love... not me.

Anyway, I guess I should thank you for letting Lisbeth make me a girl, so... um... thanks... I guess. It's my fault it turned out so terrible. I guess I wasn't a good enough girl. I'll try to be one from now on. I promised, though I don't know how long I can be good alone. I love you, God. Amen.

With nothing else to say and nearly exhausted from walking and lack of food, she curled into a ball to stay warm, crying herself to sleep.

It would be the second night in a row that Christina would be watched over by unseen eyes as she slept.

Walking through the same field of wildflowers as the night before, Christina wandered aimlessly. Usually when she would dream, because she was always herself, she would invariably be happy. This time though she walked without purpose or enjoying being a girl.

After some time, she heard footsteps running up behind her. Turning quickly, she saw Officer Martinez running straight at her. Terrified, she froze in place. Just as he got close, he jumped to catch her and flew right through her body as though she wasn't there. Turning around, she was once more alone in the field, her heart pounding.

Breaking into a run, Christina ran and ran. It seemed like hours went by and still the only thing she could see was wildflowers, as though she hadn't gone anywhere. Stopping to catch her breath, she sat down and breathed heavily. Once calmed down, she looked up to see a strange man looking at her. It startled her, but at the same time he didn't seem dangerous, and in fact looked familiar somehow.

"Who are you?" she asked tentatively.

"No one you'd know, Christina." he answered. "Just a friend. Why were you running away?"

"Officer Martinez was gonna catch me." she explained. "I... I don't know why he didn't. It was like he just disappeared when he tried."

Smiling gently, the man walked up to her and held out a hand.

Taking it nervously, Christina felt him pull her to her feet with ease, her exhaustion suddenly gone and she felt refreshed. "What's your name?"

"You can call me Hank." he smiled down at her.

As the two began to stroll together through the flowers, she looked up at him several times before settling on what she wanted to ask him.

"Yes. I am." he answered with a smile before she asked.

Stopping suddenly, Christina stepped back away from him in fear. "You... you're an angel? Like Lisbeth?"

Wincing slightly at her reaction, Hank took a breath and blew it out slowly. "Not exactly. Lisbeth has always been an angel. She doesn't know what it's like to be a person. I... well... I was a man once. That's why I know how to talk to you with words!"

Her fear diminishing, she stepped closer to him again. "Can... can you undo it? Turn me back into Walt? It... it's too hard being a girl! I lost everything!"

Looking down sadly, Hank shook his head. "I'm sorry, Christina. No, I can't. Lisbeth told you as much. Once a miracle has been performed, it's because God wanted it to happen. For whatever reason, He wanted you to be a boy that got turned into a girl through a miracle. Who knows why, but I know to trust Him on these things!"

"But I could have said no!" she pointed out. "If God wanted me to be turned into a girl, why did He give me a choice?"

"Because you could have said no." he explained vaguely. "He values free will over almost everything, even His plans for people. If you'd have said no, you would have stayed Walt and not gone down the path that He wanted for you to follow. That's always your choice. That's what makes us different from everything else in the world. We can choose. Everything else is His doing."

Not able to really follow what Hank was telling her, she looked up at him again. "So... why're you here then?"

Hank seemed lost in memory for a moment. "Someone I care about very much asked Him to watch out for you. Make sure you stayed safe."

"Who?"

Looking at the infinite horizon, Hank remembered the day he died. Suddenly the field of flowers was gone and the two stood on a street next to a wrecked car, rain falling all around them but neither one getting wet.

As Christina watched, a second version of Hank ran from around the car and almost ripped the door off its hinges, the sound of metal groaning before it popped open with a crack. Reaching in, the double came back out with a girl in his arms. Carrying her a short distance away from the car that had just started to burn, he put the crying and dazed girl down gently on the grass nearby and vanished as though he'd never been there.

Staring at the girl as she fruitlessly looked around for her savior, Christina noticed that she looked a lot like Kathy, but not quite the same. "Who... who's that?" she asked vacantly.

"My daughter Linda." Hank replied. "This was the day I died... and she very nearly did as well."

Confused, Christina slowly walked up to the sobbing girl who didn't seem to notice her. Looking carefully, Christina turned back to look at Hank. "Is that Mrs. Grant when she was little?"

Nodding, Hank walked up, took Christina's hand, and once more they were in the field of wildflowers. "You're a pretty smart young lady! You're also empathetic and compassionate. I know what my granddaughter sees in you!"

Pulling her hand away, Christina turned away from him. "I... You should go. You should watch over her. She deserves someone better than me! I didn't even think how me becoming a girl might hurt her! I'm a selfish monster!"

Putting his hands on her shoulders, Hank gently turned her around and sank down to his knees to look her in the eyes. "Christina! Now you know that's not true! You're a very kind and considerate young lady, and Kathy loves you because you earned that love. You becoming a girl doesn't change that."

"But I hurt her, Hank!" she cried. "Me being a girl hurts her and my parents! I didn't think about any of them when I said yes! I just thought about myself and what I wanted! What kind of a person does that make me?"

Laughing, he hugged the girl warmly. "It makes you human, Christina! You hurt every time you saw yourself as Walt. Many girls like you become bitter, angry, jealous, and even make a mockery of their feminine gift. Others let the hurt rule them and take their own lives. You... you were special. You never let the pain tear you down, even when it was intolerable."

Pulling away a little, she looked at him curiously. "How do you know all that about me? How long have you been watching over me?"

"I knew all that the moment I touched your hand." he answered. "Every time you hurt, it burned into your soul and I could feel every one of them. You have an amazing strength! You never let the hurt corrupt your heart."

Shyly looking down, Christina blushed at the compliment. "Thanks." After a moment, she looked up at him again. "So... now what happens?"

Smiling, Hank let her go and stood up, backing away. "Now you rest, wake up, forget all this, and go back to my daughter's home. She was up half the night looking for you. I'll keep you safe until morning. Just rest."

Getting a sleepy feeling again, Christina lay down in the flowers and watched Hank looking down at her, closing her eyes and feeling safe.

The loud bang of the garbage truck emptying the dumpster only ten feet from her hiding place woke Christina with a start. Her heart racing, she looked up to see sunlight peaking in from the mostly closed flaps of the box she'd slept in. Her body was sore and her stomach ached from lack of food, but it wasn't long before she heard the clamorous truck drive away and the only noise she could hear was the distant sound of traffic.

Leaning on the side of the box, it once more tipped over so that she was on all fours and able to crawl toward the opening. Peering out carefully, she saw no one around and quickly climbed out. Feeling like she'd just closed her eyes, she was surprised that she didn't remember her dreams like she usually did. Reaching into her front pocket, she retrieved the change she'd found the day before.

"Sixty cents." she grumbled. "That wouldn't even get me a taco!" Wondering where she could go to get something to eat, the only place she could think of was the last place she'd eaten. Kathy's house. she sighed inwardly. Starting to walk without a destination in mind, she felt guilty for not going back to their house last night. Maybe that's why she was driving around... looking for me. Mrs. Grant understands, and I think she actually believes me that I used to be Walt! For a grownup, that's pretty amazing!

Before she realized it, she noticed she was walking back to Kathy's house without thinking. Lacking any better ideas, and weary of her circumstances, she continued her journey until at last she stood in front of the home once more. Almost unconsciously, she knocked on the front door.

Kathy ate her cereal in silence. Last night had been horrible. She waited by the phone for hours without word, crying and praying. When her father came back at ten o'clock, he called Kathy's mother, who insisted on continuing her search well into the night. When she got home at two in the morning, Kathy was asleep on the couch next to the phone, George snoring next to her.

Taking another bite, Kathy looked across the table at her parents. Her mother looked ragged and worn, having gotten too little sleep, while her father just appeared worried. Finishing her bite, Kathy sighed. "You think she's OK?"

Looking over at Linda, her father furrowed his brow. "I... I don't really know, sweetie. I don't know if any of us are OK."

"George!" Linda almost whined. "Are we going to go through this again? I tell you, that girl is Walt! As crazy as that sounds, I know it's true!"

"Changed into a girl by an angel, Linda?" he scoffed.

"Yes!" she insisted. "Just the same way my life was saved by one, George! You said you believed me when I told you that story when we first started dating! Was that a lie?"

Caught in a trap of his own words, he just sat there a moment, relieved when there was a knock at the door. "I'll get it!" he jumped up and ran for the door. Opening it, he looked down and saw Christina standing there, disheveled, pale, drawn, and with dark circles under her wide eyes.

Seeing the man who'd made her leave the night before at the door, Christina started to back away. "I... I'm sorry, Mr. Grant! I'll go!"

"Wait!" he yelled softly, running after her and stopping her retreat by gently grabbing her arm. "Please! Come inside, Christina."

Hesitantly, she let him guide her back into the house. When she saw Kathy sitting at the table eating breakfast, she looked away from her in shame and self-loathing.

Linda jumped out of her seat when she saw George escorting Christina in. "My God, Christina!" she cried, running up to the girl and wrapping her in her arms. "What happened to you! Where were you?"

Hearing her best friend's new name, Kathy turned in her seat quickly to see Christina standing in front of her father George. Shock overwhelmed her at the sight of the girl. She looked emaciated and like someone had kicked her into a gutter. Seeing her mother embrace the girl with the thousand-yard stare, Kathy slowly got up, her tears barely held at bay.

Overwhelmed, Christina accepted the affection and hugged her back, albeit weakly. "I... I found a box in back of a strip mall. I slept in there. I'm sorry you were worried. I... I didn't think you wanted me here." She glanced up at George with a look of fear. "You shouldn't worry about me. Kathy's the one who got hurt by what I did."

Quickly examining her, Linda satisfied herself that the girl was unharmed, though in need of a bath, clean clothes, and a meal. "It's alright, Christina! We care about you! You look starved! When's the last time you ate?"

Looking over at Kathy, she swallowed hard. "Um... yesterday afternoon. I... I had a sandwich with Kathy after she got home from school."

Seeing there was more to it, Linda pressed. "And before that?"

"Um... the night before... when I was still... um... you know."

"When she was Walt." Kathy finished for her, stepping closer. "Christina? Are... are you OK?"

Nodding, she looked away embarrassedly. "I'm fine. I was kinda sore this morning, though."

"It was in the low sixties this morning." George pointed out. "Too cold for just sleeping in a box."

"You didn't cover yourself with anything, did you, sweetheart?" Linda asked.

"The box was closed." she pointed out. "There were holes in it, though."

Taking the girl by the hand, she started toward the bathroom. "Come on sweetie. We're gonna get you a warm bath."

"What about work, honey?" her husband asked.

"I think the family just came down with a twenty-four-hour cold, George!" she answered without stopping. "Make the calls. I'm going to need your level head today! We have a lot of things to figure out!"

Guiding the new girl into the bathroom, she noticed part of the stink on her was that at some point in the night Christina had wet herself. It had dried quickly in the desert air, but the smell lingered. "It's OK, sweetie. I know you had an... accident. We'll take care of things, OK?"

Nervous, Christina looked at the bathtub. "Um... Mrs. Grant? I... I've never seen a girl naked before! Not even me! I've only ever gone to the bathroom once since all this happened, and even then I didn't look!"

Pausing after she started the water running, she looked at the girl curiously. "Oh! Um... no... I guess you wouldn't have, would you?" Realizing that it also meant the poor child had no idea how to take care of herself as a girl and knew nothing about feminine hygiene, she resolved to teach her what she needed to know. "Sweetie? There's some things about being a girl you need to know, OK?"

"I know some stuff, Mrs. Grant." she admitted shyly.

"Not enough." she stressed. "OK, we'll start with the fact that since you are a girl, looking at your own body isn't dirty, OK? You need to be able to look at yourself to make sure you're clean. So we'll start with getting undressed."

Gulping, Christina knew she was right. I gotta be able to look at myself and know that it's OK. It's not like I can go my whole life and never get naked! Sitting down, she removed her worn shoes and socks. Taking a breath, she closed her eyes and pulled the dirty pink top over her head. Cracking her eyes open, she saw Linda standing there looking at her expectantly.

"Pants and underwear, too?"

"Do you know another way to take a bath, sweetie?"

When she looked down at her jeans, even the thought of taking them off nearly made her hyperventilate; images of Doctor Ramsey undressing her filling her mind.

Seeing the girl begin to panic, Linda knelt down in front of her. "It's OK, Christina! You're safe! What's wrong, sweetie?"

Explaining about the hospital, Christina took a breath. "When I changed behind the donation bin, I was in such a hurry and so scared I didn't even think about it and kept my eyes closed! Now when I think about taking off my pants, I just see his face! What's wrong with me?"

Taking the girl's hands, she tried to calm her down. "Nothing's wrong with you, Christina! It was a traumatic experience! Do you want me to leave? Would that make it easier?"

Thinking about it, she nodded. "I think it would, Mrs. Grant. Is that OK?"

Nodding in understanding, Linda stood up. "I'll be right outside, OK? Once you're in the tub, I'm going to have to tell you how to clean yourself, so I'll have to come in when you get more comfortable with yourself. Understand?"

"Yeah." she sighed. "I'll try to be quick."

Exiting the bathroom, Linda stood outside the door and waited. After a few moments, she saw her husband approaching.

"What's wrong, honey?" he asked concernedly.

"Christina's never seen her body naked or bathed as a girl." she explained. "She's getting undressed and in the tub so I can tell her how to clean herself. Still think it's crazy?"

"More than ever." he shook his head. "This is nuts, Linda! I don't mean you or Kathy, or even Christina... I mean the whole situation! What kind of sick joke is this! Assuming she's telling the truth, what kind of miracle is this? Ripping the child out of her home? No birth record? How's she supposed to get into school? What about a job later? This is insane!"

"I know!" Linda admitted. "That's why she's gonna need your help, George."

The man's face fell like a stone. "No! You aren't suggesting..."

"What choice does she have, love?" Linda argued. "You're the only one who could do something about her biggest issue... no birth record!"

"It's illegal!" he shouted in a whisper. "I could go to prison, Linda!"

"She needs our help, George! You work in the Bureau of Vital Records! Who would know? Couldn't you do it so it can't be traced back to you?"

Thinking for a moment, he thought of several ways to insert a birth record into the system in such a way as to leave no trace that he'd been the one to do it. Shaking his head in disgust at the idea, he got mildly angry that she would suggest it. "It's wrong, Linda! Even if I could get away with it, it's still wrong! It's fraud! Besides, who do we say her parents are, huh? From what you told me, Ruth and David weren't exactly open to the idea!"

"That was when she was telling them alone with no one to support her story, George!" she countered. "If we go to them, tell them she really is Walt, don't you think they'd at least listen to her?"

"Or they might think we took Walt!" he pointed out. "Linda, this could ruin us! We're talking federal prison here! For kidnapping! Maybe even human trafficking!"

"Don't they need Walt for that? How can they prove we did anything if he's just gone and never seen again?"

"What if she isn't Walt?" he countered. "What if he shows up? Then what?"

"She is! I know it in my heart! She doesn't know anything about actually being a girl! She almost had a panic attack just taking off her pants! More importantly, Kathy knows it." Explaining that their daughter had been falling for her best friend, and how that love had transferred to Christina, she sighed. "She's Walt, and Kathy loves her, George. I saw this coming... her feelings for Walt, I mean."

Absorbing this new information, George's head spun. "OK, that only means that Kathy believes she's Walt. She's eleven!"

"So's Christina, George! Do you think she's some sort of junior con artist?"

"Mrs. Grant?" came the girl's voice from the bathroom. "I... I'm ready now."

Giving her husband a look, she whispered, "We'll finish this later!"

Walking back out into the living room, George sat back down at the table with his daughter to talk about her relationship with Christina.

Knocking gently, Linda opened the door. "Coming in." she announced before entering. Looking at the tub as she closed the door behind her, she saw the girl in the steaming warm water covering her chest with her arms. Taking a breath, she pressed forward. We've got a lot to do!

up
127 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Hope

Teek's picture

Finally, a small sliver of hope enters her life, and an angel providing a Human level of assistance.

It is a great story, I really look forward to seeing how you resolve these issues.

Keep Smiling, Keep Writing
Teek

Ahh the Title Comes into Play

BarbieLee's picture

Damned if we do, damned if we don't. A paradox in unimaginable proportions to all involved. I can't begin to understand what is going through readers minds who have no relationship with God. Toss in the idea they didn't grow up with ghosts in their home. Is this only an interesting story or way out imagination?

Christina gets to see her first naked girl..., and it's hers. Well, there is always a first time for every male at some point in life. It usually isn't their own though. Linda is showing the true strength and mothering instinct in all females. I wonder if because that is in MtF trans it is one of the things that scares the you know what out of most society? They can't justify it in their mind?

Roberta has become a lot more interesting to me. She has one excellent muse or she's seen it all. Am I the only one who started laughing at the second half of this story? Christina has been assigned a Guardian Angel. I'm alive because she was there, many times.

The detectives have Christina's fingerprints. Walt's fingerprints may never have been taken but they are all over the house. His computer, doorknob, etc., he's missing. Not very intelligent police nor detectives if they haven't lifted fingerprints from things in his room. What? They all flunked criminology class? Office Martinez is forgiven. He's a bulldozer cop, big tough plow straight ahead. Thinking outside the box not in his game plan.

Only a soft nail biter this chapter. Is George going to believe enough to help or does he need encouragement from Hank? Maybe Hank can have a talk with Christina's parents too?
Hugs Roberta, interesting chapter
Barb
Life is a gift. Treasure it as time will come to return it along with answering for all the things we used it for. Matthew 25:14–30

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

"We've got a lot to do!"

yep. but she's in a better place than before

DogSig.png

Hugs

RobertaME's picture

Hope it's not as upsetting!

More is coming, some of which WILL be.

Oh just great!

D. Eden's picture

More to get me crying.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Sorry!

RobertaME's picture

I don't mean to make you cry! Does that count?

Hard times are coming, but Christina has a lot of help on her side, and a great strength of faith and character to see her through it to a happy ending.

Hugs,
Roberta

an interesting story or way out imagination

RobertaME's picture

Bit of both, really! The idea came to me when I was reading (yet another) story where a TG girl is magically transformed at the same time that my youngest son was having to get his first state ID. Going over the requirements with him made me start to think, "What if a girl was transformed by a true miracle? An angel comes down and POOF! She's a genetic girl! ... Now what? How does she exist in a system that is designed by people to not allow for things such as miracles?" The rest was a lot of research, a few re-writes, and 30 days later it was done and I began posting it. It's the fastest turn-around on a story I've ever done.

The bit about Christina's first bath came out of all that. It just seemed the natural result of an 11-year-old that had been living as a boy all her life and finally getting what she always wanted... and now doesn't know what to do with it because she was never prepared for it to actually happen!

It's not so much that I've "seen it all" (though I have seen quite a lot in my life) as much as I can't ever forget what I have seen. Look up hyperthymesia. My brain also makes unusual connections in seemingly unrelated data, which makes me a very much "out of the box" thinker. Add all that together with a high intelligence and you get the strangeness that is me!

As for Christina's guardian angel, Hank (Kathy's grandfather) was an unexpected side-story, even for me. Not sure why it made you laugh, though. (honestly... that reaction is confusing to me... if you could explain I'd appreciate it!) Seeing as Christina doesn't even remember Hank, and that (for the most part) guardian angels tend to work "behind the scenes" and remain hidden from view, aided by people's willing disbelief in them, it's hard to see how Hank could help beyond simple things. Sort of like a subliminal suggestion to "ignore that box... it's not important" to keep Christina safe for the night. Obviously Lisbeth's miracle was beyond the normal angelic intervention, as evidenced by the fact that the circumstance is unusual and unbelievable to the vast majority of people in the story. After all, if angels could intervene in very obvious ways, everyone would know about them and believe in them, right? I don't want to give anything away, but just maybe make people rethink their assumptions!

What makes you so sure that Christina's fingerprints would be the same as Walt's? Lisbeth said, "From this day forward you will have a girl's body which will grow into a woman's body as though it had always been yours." That would seem to suggest that her body is the same as though she'd gestated, was born, and grew up as a girl, without any of that actually happening. Fingerprints are formed from week 10 to week 17 of pregnancy and are influenced by dozens of factors including growth rate of the dermis and epidermis, blood pressure, fetal activity, blood oxygen concentration of both mother and child, fetal position during pregnancy, and dozens of other factors. That's why even identical twins have different fingerprints. Given that Lisbeth said Christina would have a girl's body "as though it had always been yours", that would presume that the conditions that caused Walt's fingerprints to form the way they did wouldn't be the same if she'd formed as Christina... thus she should have different prints. Knowing this when writing the story, it was simply a given to me that their prints would be different.

See? This is a peak into my brain! ::crazy girl::

Glad you found it interesting!

Hugs,
Roberta

Edit: Not sure why this is replying to Dorothy instead of BarbieLee. Tried TWICE to get it right, but it still keeps coming up under Dorothy's comment.

Angels Don't Solve All of One's Problems

BarbieLee's picture

They are there and as you mentioned for the most part most can't see them. I can't but I can feel mine at times. The other part you were so dead center on is we are allowed choice. I understand those who blame everyone else for their problems. They never matured emotionally. They never accepted responsibility for their actions. Some believe in God only to blame Him for their life not being what they wanted. In their greed the want what they never worked for.

Walt never blamed anyone. He accepted his life as it was even as he wished for a different life. And yes when you wrote in Hank I honestly laughed through the rest of the chapter. Angels are there for the times when all else fails not to kiss every little owie. No matter what, Christina's angel is on the job.

I survived because I knew no matter how bad it got, no matter how deep the you know what was, "They can't eat us. It's against the law." I should have been electrocuted..., twice. I should have drown. I should have been pulled into the machinery. I should have died in an auto accident. I should have died from a deadly virus. I should have been thrown off the tractor and run over. I should have..., There are no miracles, only lack of faith. I've seen and experienced things most could never believe even if it happened to them. They can't accept things outside their comfort zone. Things physically impossible by mankind ideas.

I've never met a Walt to Christina but otherwise your story is tracking very well. After all it is fiction..,. Isn't it...? Besides your writing skills are excellent.
Hugs Roberta
Barb
Life is meant to be lived, not worn until it's worn out.

Oklahoma born and raised cowgirl

Angels

RobertaME's picture

Now I understand what you're saying! Yes, I too believe in angels, (and devils) and wrote them the way I perceive them. (i.e. not directly at all) They are responsible for the coincidences... the wild luck... the "That could have killed me!" moments that didn't happen... the sudden inexplicable impulse to turn left instead of right that avoids an accident... the chance meeting that turns into the love of a lifetime... and unfortunately there are those opposed to them that are there at times we are led astray... the ones who want to see us fail. The voices in our heads that tell us how worthless we are... tell us that God hates us... push us to do things that injure ourselves... to turn right for no reason and end up in the accident... to skip work out of laziness, only to miss that chance meeting with the love of our lifetime.

The difficult part must be for an angel to stand back and do nothing when something bad has to happen because it leads to a much greater good later... like when I had to be hit by a car at 15, have both my legs broken, nearly bleed to death, and suffer unendurable pain, because if it didn't happen I could never meet my 1st co-wife... meanwhile HERS had to let her father's car get hit by a semi when she was 17, killing him and severely injuring her and her step-mother, because if it didn't happen, she would never have met ME. An unbelievably far-fetched set of circumstances that are the only way our two sons could even exist... and I'd endure a thousand lifetimes of loneliness and pain of having to be male, if only I knew they were there for me at the end of it.

Christina is my favorite protagonist because she has the kind of enduring faith I wish I had growing up, but certain influences (in the form of those opposed to the angels) continued to degrade mine and still try and make me doubt. Christina is able to take those voices, shove them aside effortlessly, and press forward with a smile. She's the girl I wanted to be, and it was a joy writing about her! I was sorry to see it come to an end when I finished the story.

As to ever meeting a Walt to Christina, even if you did, how would you know unless they told you... and would you even believe them if they did? One of the things I'm showing here is that even among those of faith today, believing in a true miracle is a stretch. I know that I would be highly skeptical, and I know He's there.

Something to think about! ;^)

Hugs,
Roberta

my one quibble...

The fact that nobody has brought up the idea of giving Christina a DNA test to prove she is their daughter. Yes, People have mentioned the fingerprint thing, but those aren't guaranteed to be the same. However it's been stated that She is the way Walt would look, if he had been a girl. So the DNA should match to both parents.

The DNA test would only prove……

D. Eden's picture

That she is related to a high probability. There is no definitive indication that “this is your child”, but rather a close match indicating a genetic relationship. The closer the relationship, usually the higher the match - but it is all still based on probabilities.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

The problem with DNA

RobertaME's picture

In order for Christina to be matched against her parents, they would have to believe in the possibility that she could be their daughter first, wouldn't they? Otherwise why even submit to a test that takes days just to prove what they already know... that they only had one child and that it was a boy.

Try and see it from David and Ruth's perspective. Here you have a girl, claiming not only to be your 'son', but that she was always a girl when their 'son' had insisted for years that she wasn't one... from a certain point of view. Why even test to prove something you already know and requires believing in something so 'ridiculous' in the modern world? The only reason Kathy believes is because her mother taught her that angels are real and her love for her best friend could let her 'see Walt' in Christina. Linda, her mother, can believe because her father Hank saved her life after he was killed... and no one believed her either, even when she insisted that someone had saved her... only to vanish into thin air. With modern 'sensibilities' and 'rational thought', those ideas are not only ridiculous, they're worrisome that a person might be a little crazy. Look at Ruth's response to the idea in Chapter 2, and the Cocoran family is very faithful. (they even say prayers of thanks at dinner, something a lot of faithful people fail to even do anymore)

So, what reason would the Cocorans have to submit to a DNA test? How could they justify it? What circumstances could arise that would even make someone question that they ever had a daughter that the mother never remembers giving birth to? A girl the same age as their 'son', so would have had to have been a fraternal twin... that no one ever saw... not even in the delivery room.

Miracles are hard to believe in if you don't see one first-hand. Testing to see if it's real means first having to take that big leap of faith that it's possible... one that even someone of faith has a hard time doing anymore... which is part of my whole point!

Still, your idea has merit. Just know that the story was fully written before I posted the first chapter, so how things unfold are the way they were intended from the beginning. Christina gets her happy ending somehow. You've just have to wait and see how!

Hugs,
Roberta

Helping hands

Jamie Lee's picture

Christine could have been in a worse state except for one thing she's discovered in her dreams. She is being watched over. First by Lisbeth and then by Hank.

Both have suggested there is a plan that involves Christine, not Walt. That it has to be Christine presence that is part of the plan. Question is, what plan? And why Christine?

David and Ruth claim to believe in God, but seem to ignore all aspects of believing in God. It's as though they're believers in the religious sense rather than believers in what would be considered in the true sense. In the true sense which requires faith in that which is unseen or unexplainable. Air can't be seen in its normal form, but it exists and keeps live alive.

George is also of the belief that miracles simply don't happen. Rational thought doesn't allow that possibility. But rational thought does allow for the possibility for all the things now that were once thought impossible. When cars were first introduced, it was believed going faster than a certain speed would cause the people to suffocate. Now speeds over 200 MPH are routine and people don't suffocate.

Christine is a catalyst that's making others reevaluate what the believe and feel. Kathy is the prime example. She fell in love with Walt but didn't recognize it, or want to recognize it, until Walt was considered missing. Now she knows Christine is Walt she's conflicted by Christine is a girl, and girls loving girls isn't considered acceptable in her world.

A miracle has happened. To believe it happened requires unconditional faith that miracles are possible. David and Ruth's lack of faith is being revealed and tested. Until they realize this, they will never even consider that Christine was their son Walt.

Others have feelings too.