Vacation, Chapter 1

Printer-friendly version

Lowell's Vacation cover 1024x1024 (1)_1.jpg


Lowell's Vacation
by Leslie Moore
Look for it soon on Amazon!

up
203 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Ooooo... More from Moore!!!

I know that some (few) have asked about my own writing again (where the timing is not quite right... yet) but Ms. Moore is always great to see releasing new gems!

Thanks

Thanks for writing. I agree we need to hear from you again. I love your characters!

Trying to

I sit here trying to figure out if this is just a day dream or if he is indeed dressed en femme and got caught.
Either way, I hope that it continues so we know what exactly happens next.

Can we have both?

Chapter Two should clarify some of that confusion. Thanks for reading and writing. A lot of my characters live inside their heads. Wonder where that comes from!

Both?

The possibility that it was daydreaming while dressed hadn't crossed my mind when I wrote the comment.
Which ever way it turns out to be, I hope we read all about it in next chapter.

Lovely... coquettish

Donna T's picture

Your story reads like lovely, coquettish literary teasing. You've aroused my interest. I look forward to where your dalliance leads.

Dee

Donna

thank you

I really appreciate your reading Chapter One and writing your sweet comment. I'm having fun with this one. I was really writing this for my own pleasure and finally got it to the point where it was good enough to share. I'm honestly not sure where it's going. I've got around eight thousand words on paper, but we'll just have to see.

Thank goodness for Word

Donna T's picture

Thank goodness for Word Processing software, eh? Sometimes I make a paragraph, or sentence, BOLD or a type font larger to flag things for a closer review/rewrite/deletion later. Cut & Paste is so helpful. Let your thoughts flow (like you do)!

Dee

Donna

Writing

I love and respect writers who use a pen and lined paper. Old school. Bird feathers and liquid ink. A chisel and sandstone.

Not my idea of fun. I use an iPad occasionally, but wish for my keyboard instead of my index finger. I love a computer for its ease of use and all those available shortcuts.

And of course, ease of writing does not mean what I jot down is worthy. GIGO - garbage in, garbage out

I think anything that sees the light of day should be carefully edited. But, sometimes it’s fun to run naked through the grass and not look back

I feel like I burn a lot of bridges every time I write a story.

Editing

Back in the day when we used typewriters, changing something usually required retyping a large part, if not all, of the work. This was a great disincentive to doing more than proofreading. With computer word processing software, editing is now easy. Correct spelling and punctuation, change words, cut and paste sentences or entire paragraphs. The downside is that too many rely on the computer's spell check function and overlook words which are correctly spelled but the wrong word for the context (e.g. they're, their, there). I'm certainly not accusing anyone in particular, just noticing that incorrect word choice is distressingly common, and not only in amateur writing.

yep

I agree with what you say.

I would much rather reach for a powered tool than hand cranking something. Unless you're making risotto, I enjoy the ease of modern conveniences.

I agree that everything should be reread again before publishing. And if you can read a story aloud, it's even a better way to proof it.

I used two wonderful people to check each chapter in the novels I published on Amazon. And I give them credit right up front.

Here, I just rely on myself, Grammarly, and rereading.

Glad

to see more from Leslie Moore.

Wasn't all that surprised when the wife punchline came. But that leaves lots more to reveal of their agreements to be revealed. Also how becoming a partner in a prestigious law firm will affect those agreements and their mutual love and respect.

As usual You leave me anxious for more.

Hugs Cheryl

thank you

I kinda tried to keep that last line a secret in Chapter One, but it's pretty obvious when you're publishing here there's going to be some fluidity in a story. I worked hard to keep it gender-neutral, but those gloves are off now.

Your thoughts are interesting and I'm going to need some ideas and suggestions as the story goes forward. I'm not sure where it's going to go quite yet. But, that's the fun for me.

Wow…… an outstanding beginning.

D. Eden's picture

One can only wonder if the wife knows about these little vacations, or if this will be a new revelation for her. Is this the beginning of big changes, or simply the continuation of an existing life?

I would love to see much more of this!

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

thanks

Thanks for reading and writing your comment. I think that your questions will eventually all be answered, eventually... And yes, you will see much more before I run out of steam.

intriguing

Snarfles's picture

so the wife sits with the 'men smoking cigars'... same path, other direction?

The Maybes

My characters seem to live in their heads a lot.

So you need to ignore some of those dreams and visions full of metaphors and hyperbole.

But, I think this story takes the usual husband and wife roles and throws them up into the air.

Maybe my protagonist is kinda an interesting character that in today's world would not be looked at twice.

Nice setup

crash's picture

Nice setup for a new story. I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Your friend
Crash

thank you

thanks for reading and writing back. I'm working on it, but still waiting for my characters to really start talking to me and telling me what to write. So, I, too, am wondering where this will take us

Truly dreamy

Loved the setup. I immediately read this again to make sure how well it was done and that I didn't miss anything. So, my vote is that this is a keeper and that Ms Moore needs to submit the next chapters with all haste. Thanks for a clever and wonderful beginning.

>>> Kay

thank you

thanks for reading and rereading and writing! I'm cleaning up another chapter today.

and which way will the ?unknowing wife react...

we know quite a few of the variations. Let's hope for something a little different.
(I don't think the age of the top picture matches what an experienced lawyer or his wife - .... perhaps the daughter? which would give a new direction)
Thanks - looking forward to more.

hmmm

Now, who said that was 'his' wife?

deliciously ambiguous

Now this is deliciously ambiguous right up to the end with lots of directions it can go. Definitely worthy of further development

thank you

Uh-huh. I'm cooking this stew but don't know where it's going to go, yet. Maybe that will become clearer eventually.