The Witch of the West, Chapter 14

Printer-friendly version


Chapter 14: On the Run?

I was dizzy, sleepy, and a little nauseous, so Anne drove. We had not eaten since yesterday morning, so we stopped at the Dobbs Ferry tavern to break our fast. Anne and the children ate well, but I could not keep my food down and rushed out to disgorge the little I had eaten by the side of the building.

Anne came out behind me, looking very concerned. She gave me a few sips of water and some bread to settle my stomach. After feeling my head, she said, “You have no fever. Could you be expecting?”

“Not unless the Holy Spirit has come upon me!” I said in a failed attempt at humor. Meanwhile, my head was aching ever more severely.

I woke in a strange bed. Peggy was nearby, sitting in a rocker, mending a dress.

“Mother, she’s awake!”

Anne and Sandy rushed in. The three of them looked exhausted, with bloodshot eyes.

“Thank God! The doctor said you might never wake.”

“Where am I?” I was still croaking.

“In my house, in White Plains. You have not stirred in three days. … Peggy run over to Dr. van Dorn, and tell him Miss Winston is awake. … Sandy, fetch her a bowl of soup.”

“Could I have some water?”

“Yes, of course.” She poured me a beaker. The water had a different taste from that in Yonkers. Still, I wanted to gulp it down. Anne made me sip it slowly.

“The doctor said he thought your brain was bleeding, and it might kill you – even days after suffering your wound. How does your head feel?”

“Still sore on the outside, but I have no headache.”

“He said that would be a good sign.”

“Then I am well. Sandy and I must flee. Staying here puts you and Peggy in danger.”

“There will be no ‘fleeing’ for at least a week. Dr. van Dorn drilled a hole in your head!”

“What!?”

“Yes, and he shaved off a good part of your hair to do it.” She handed me a mirror.

My head was bandaged, but, even so, I could see that all the hair on the back of my head was gone. I may be handsome, but I am not beautiful and my hair was my finest feature. I cried.

I was sitting in bed, eating a bowl of barley soup when there was a knock at the door and the doctor entered. He was a short, stout man of about sixty with a warm smile.

“You are eating and alert – both very good signs. … I am Dr. Hendrik van Dorn, by the way.” He sat beside me and felt my wrist, looking at his watch. “A steady pulse. You gave us quite a scare, but are on the mend, young lady.”

“Anne said you drilled a hole in my head?”

“Yes, a very small one. You would have died had I not. You had an intracranial hematoma – that is a bleeding brain. There was blood in your skull pressing on your brain. It would have crushed the life out of you, so I just drilled a little hole to let it out.”

“I never heard of such a thing.”

“Oh, surgeons have been doing it for thousands of years. Even Galen writes about the procedure. He was an ancient Roman, you know. I have personally done it several times when I was at the New York Hospital … perhaps you’ve seen it if you have been to Manhattan – it is on Broadway at Church. Anyway, I am glad to say that almost half my patients survived.”

“Over half died then?”

“Unfortunately, yes … but would all have died without the operation. That is why I was so concerned for you.

Do not mourn for them, most were miscreants of the worst kind. … Now as for you, young woman. Mrs. Cummings told me what happened … although rumor of the incident arrived before you did.”

“Do you know what happened to Captain de Peyster? Is he alive?”

“Yes, my college, Dr. Robinson, had him taken to the Orphan’s Asylum, where they are caring for him. I understand he is on the board there. He has a serious wound, but will recover unless sepsis takes him.”

“There is hope then.”

“Yes, but the outcome still hangs in the balance. … As I was saying, Mrs. Cummings told me about your plan to flee with the child,” he grimaced in a disapproving way, “but there can be no running for you for some time. Too much exertion and your brain may bleed again – and then who would take care of the child? For the present, you are safe. I have told no one you are here, and Mrs. Cummings has told people the child is a cousin come to visit.”

The days passed slowly. I could not stay abed, and so I sat with Anne as she worked at her potter’s wheel. She showed me how to “throw” a bowl and a vase, and let me help with firing and glazing. I wrote Caroline, expressing my love and sorrow that I may not see her for some time, and to Paula, telling her in detail what had happened and seeking her advice.

Both wrote back, but it seemed that Caroline's ardor was fading with my absence. Paula wrote that she would use her connections to find out what she could and help me as opportunities may occur.

About a week after I awoke, I was surprised when Constance came to Anne’s house near the crack of dawn.
“Hello, Miss. I am living with Liam now, though we are yet to be married. I saw Alexandria playing outside a few days ago, and reckoned that you must be hiding here. I would have stayed away, but last night Liam told me that a man has been asking around town for you two and thought you should know.”

“Thank you, Constance! I am so glad to see you and so sorry about your mother," I said embracing her. "Anne … Mrs. Cummings, … ah … made sure sure the man who killed her will never harm anyone again. … I have something that should be yours – a kind of dowry.” I gave her the five $20.00 banknotes that had been paid to the murders.

“I can’t take this!”

“You can and will – it is the price of your mother’s life, and is yours by right as compensation.”

We chatted a bit more, then she left. I found Anne and told her what happened.

“We must flee. The Captain devised a plan that I must follow. But I cannot go as I am. With my hair as it is, I am too memorable. You must cut it for me, so I look like a man.”

She did. That night she drove us to Dobbs Ferry, where we awaited the steamboat to Albany.

----------------------------

I see that the readership and kudos of this story are declining. I planned for it be the story of Nancy and Sandy's journeys: both geographic and psychological. It takes a lot of time to research what happened where and when. I am wondering if there is enough interest to warrant the effort.

up
189 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Please continue

Andragyne I love this story. When I long onto BC and see you have posted a new chapter I actually get excited and must read it immediately.
I really appreciate you posting chapters so quickly.
Thank you for this story and all your efforts and time to write it.

They survived!

As I thought they would - although inevitably Sandy's estranged dad still won't give up and seemingly doesn't care about how many people get killed en-route.

As for readership / kudos, on most stories they'll decline slightly over time - although chapters 08-12 still averaged 90+ kudos and 01-07 over 100 kudos. So that's still at least 90 distinct users reading each chapter and hitting the kudos button - if you were reading the tale in front of a live audience (yeah, I know, not going to happen with Covid on the loose, but bear with me!) you'd be impressed to maintain a crowd of 90+ each time.


As the right side of the brain controls the left side of the body, then only left-handers are in their right mind!

Please continue

I have really love your portrayal of a true witch of the times. A person highly skilled in the use of roots, herbs, barks etc in medicinal ways, not the wand waving variety of movies.

One thing that does bother me about this episode is she never once asked "WTF happened?" Which I would think would be the first questions anyone knocked unconscious by an unseen assailant would ask. And of course after that explanation the 2nd question would have been, how did we get away?

We the willing, led by the unsure. Have been doing so much with so little for so long,
We are now qualified to do anything with nothing.

Please don't stop.

This is an intriguing story, an interesting insight into the period. Continue if you can. I appreciate your efforts very much. Thank you so much.

Robyn Adaire

I am enjoying this story greatly......

D. Eden's picture

But I find that the setting of the story makes it even better for me - especially in the light of the fact that their arrival in Albany will put our characters some 20 miles from my home.

For those whose aren’t aware, the entire area of New York State was originally settled by the Dutch and was known as New Amsterdam. Looking forward to seeing where this goes from there.

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Witch of the West

Great story. Please continue.

It's not unusual

Podracer's picture

as has been said before - not just on this page - for a series to apparently have less interest over time. I theorise that those who enjoy the plot and narrative will follow, those who find less of the new gender related situation away from the start will drop out.
Obviously I'm still here, one of the 90+ fans. Or 348+ viewers if you will.

"Reach for the sun."

Thanks

Thanks to all for your supportive comments. I posted this as chapter 13 instead of the real chapter 13.

I'm A Fan

joannebarbarella's picture

100+ kudos and 400 reads still indicates interest in your story. I didn't comment on the episode just published because it was mis-numbered out of order. This chapter puts things back to where they should be.

Please don't stop.

If that is so, what was the real Chapter 13

Please do not deny us the opportunity, since that is probably how you meant the story to go.
I would join with the others in asking you NOT to abandon us.
Dave

The real Chapter 13

I posted it as soon as I learned of my error.

*

I am enjoying this story. My time is come and go, so I don't always catch a given episode right away.

If you cannot continue, I will understand and wish you well.

But I will also be sad.

T

Interesting Story

I have just read the first 14 chapters of your story today. I was slow to start it because I prefer reading already completed stories, and hate to start a story that becomes abandoned. I have enjoyed the story very much so far and find it to be very unique, both in subject matter and due to the time period it covers. I hope you will continue the story to completion. Unfortunately this practice of binge reading deprives authors of immediate and useful feedback, my apology.
I almost always leave a kudo on stories read (seldom does a chapter offend me so greatly that I don't). In the past, I have also had a lot of problems getting my kudos to be permanent. Most of the time if I don't do a deliberate reload right after leaving a kudo the kudo disappears when I move out of the document, so many readers may have this problem and aren't aware of it or haven't discovered the solution to the problem.
Just wanted to give you encouragement to continue and thank you for your efforts so far. I think this is the first story of yours that I have read, and I anticipate that I will be looking into your other offerings. Finding a new source of good writing is always exciting.
John

Thank You

Thank you for your kind and encouraging comment.

More, pretty please?

I've really been enjoying this story and am eager to find out what happens to the characters.

It's time to go underground

Jamie Lee's picture

Leyden is a persistent piss, one rabid enough to continue looking for Alexander unless Nancy and Alexander go deep underground. Or Leyden is removed permanently.

Each time Leyden strikes he makes more enemies because of the people killed. He may think lowbrows unworthy, but when pissed off they will rally around the one being sought. Or end up turning on the hand that feeds them.

Others have feelings too.

This is quite the period piece! Well done.

I don't believe I ever had the pleasure of such a work. Your research is applies in the best way. I shall continue to read with relish. Please don't stop.