The Princess of Venda Part II

Printer-friendly version

The Princess of Venda Part II

Note. Special thanks to all the people who voted for this story in the contest.

I was honored and you have encouraged me to continue writing it.

Chapter 5

I was stunned. This castle had always seemed like the safest place in the world. The biggest danger was skinning a knee if we fell on the gravel running around outside. “What happened? How could someone do that?” I asked.

Peter responded first. “We don’t really know yet. We think it was partly an inside job. That’s why we’re keeping the knowledge very tight so far. It happened about 2 o’clock in the morning. As a security measure, Prince Harold, Princess Bridget, myself and a few of the top government leaders have a Bluetooth tracking chip implanted in their arm. A detector on one of the downstairs doors recorded her going through at 2:46 AM. We have checked the hallway security cameras and they show no activity. So whoever did it was able to hack the security system and setup a bypass relay of the camera feeds. A special security group is investigating that, but they haven’t found anything so far. Also, the Prince’s Guards Regiment were called up for a special training exercise. They are driving vehicles throughout the city looking for the Princess’s chip signal. It normally has a range of only 10 meters. But if it is unpaired from her cell phone which was left in her room, it starts sending out a detection ping once a minute. That has a higher power and can be detected out to 100 meters. But so far, we’ve not found her.”

Prince Harold spoke next. “We’ve tossed out several ideas and scenarios. But the most plausible so far seems to be that it was an unapproved plot by a renegade faction from Norstrilia. We’ve had an ongoing disagreement with Norstrilia in the GAEU council about trade policy and GAEU expansion. Norstrilia wants to expand membership to countries like the Philippines and Malaysia which can increase the general GAEU economy and especially our manufacturing output. But those countries have poor working conditions, low worker compensation, and a bad conservation record. Other dominions in the GAEU, especially New Venda, have resisted that expansion. We feel that it would undercut businesses in Australia and New Zealand and drive down long term prospects for our workers.”

“Also, my daughter is extremely popular throughout the GAEU including Singapore. So her upcoming wedding would not just strengthen Southland’s support for our position. It would give New Venda’s leadership great credibility throughout the GAEU, even in Norstrilia. So we think a rogue group of expansionists may have recruited someone to sneak her away for a time. Failing to show up for her own wedding will harm her reputation, even if it’s obviously not her fault. Social media these days will use anything to spread harmful gossip. So we think their plan is to hide her somewhere for a time, then release her and allow her to be found.”

“Would they hurt her?” I asked. “Is she in danger?”

“We don’t think so,” Peter answered. “But in situations like this, we don’t really know.”

“I want my daughter back!” Prince Harold interjected. “I need her help and New Venda needs her princess.”

Peter continued. “Normally we would try a low key response at first, delaying any public appearances while we continue the search and wait to see if they contact us. But Matilda had a suggestion that may let us work around that until we locate and rescue Princess Bridget.”

Matilda had been sitting and listening to all this, but she spoke up now. “I suggested that you pretend to be Princess Bridget for a few days while we continue to search for her. You do look so much alike. I’m sure you could pull it off with the right help.”

“What do you mean? I know our faces look a lot alike, but I’m a man. She’s a woman. Our voices are different. I don’t have the right build. I’m not an actor. I don’t know how to be a woman and anyone who knows her would spot me right away.”

“I don’t think you give yourself enough credit,” said the Prince. “I remember when you two were playing in the castle as children. There were times when I had trouble telling you apart. Even now, when I look at you, I can almost see her lurking behind your face.”

Matilda leaned over to me, took my hands in hers and looked into my face. “Shelly, there are cosmetic things that will help more than you realize. And we can work on your voice. With one little change, I think you can do it.”

“What change is that?” I asked.

“Your Adam’s apple. There’s a little procedure, a chondrolaryngoplasty, to shave that off. Otherwise, any photographer on the continent would spot that in an instant. It’s just a bit of cartilage and won’t hurt you to do without it. The other things are just cosmetic to give you the look of a woman. I’ll help you work on the rest today. And I’m sure the bridesmaids will help too.”

“Where did you learn about that? Are you sure you just thought of this scheme? Oh never mind. Even if we go through with it, what will the plotters do?” I asked.

“There’s the rub,” said Harold. “And there’s a bit of risk to you. Doing this will make you something of a stalking horse. Since we think their main goal is to embarrass New Venda, they may try to abduct you as well. And we need to find out who in the Palace assisted them. If you do this, we will insert an enhanced tracking chip. It only has a battery life of three days, but it broadcasts out to a range of 300 meters which will make you much easier to locate. And I understand you have some skills in self defense?”

I stared down at Bridget’s hands where she was still holding mine. I closed my eyes and thought to myself. ‘What am I getting into? Where are you, Bridget? What are they doing to you?’

“I guess I’ll do it.”

Chapter 6

Thus began my crazy day of transformation. There was no breakfast. First, I had to shower with my hair up in a cap. Then Matilda (‘get into character, just call me Tillie’) gave me a bottle of white gunk to smear all over my body from the neck down. I waited about 15 minutes before Tillie gave me the all-clear to rinse it off. She let me rub some moisturizing cream over most of my body and put on some shorts and a gown. Then a nurse showed up with a wheel chair to whisk me off to the private medical section.

After explaining the procedures and getting consent signatures, they put me under and went to work. When I woke up a couple hours later, I felt a tingling all around my mouth. The nurse removed the IV, checked to see if I was awake, and then allowed Tillie to escort me to the restroom. I was feeling a bit weak to stand up, but would have needed to sit anyway because they had installed a prosthesis down under to give me an authentic feminine appearance.

“Thanks for the help,” I said and then noticed my voice had distinctly higher pitch. “What happened to my voice?”

“They chilled your throat with nitrogen. It numbs the lower vocal chords for a while and gives you a higher pitch. You may have forgotten about it with all the procedures to approve. It will wear off in a few days.”

Then she showed me how to clean up properly and escorted me back to the bed where I lay down to get fitted with breast forms to match Bridget’s shape. My ribcage was slightly larger than Bridget’s but I was able to wear her bra by letting out the strap. Tillie helped me stand up and pull on a dressing gown.

“Welcome to the light side!” Tillie said and grinned at me.

“Have they heard anything yet? Have they found her?” I asked. Tillie just shook her head, then we both gave a spontaneous hug and sniffled a bit.

“I’m sure they’ll find her,” Tillie assured me. “But let’s start getting you ready to meet the girls!”

“Oh goody!” I frowned at her, made a face, then chuckled a bit.

She had me sit in a wheelchair and Tina came in to wheel me down the hall to the elevator and up to Bridget’s room. We had privacy in the elevator on the way up and Bridget started coaching me.

“Thanks for doing this. From what Bridget told me about you two playing as kids, I think you can pull it off if you just relax and let yourself get into the experience. Picture yourself as Bridget and imagine what she would do.”

Then the elevator door opened, and we walked down the hall to Bridget’s suite. Tina wheeled me into the day room and Matilda kneeled in front of me to look me straight in the face. “Carrying on for Bridget like this means more than you realize. It helps all of New Venda and especially the six girls who will be joining us tonight! So, from now until we get the real Bridget back, you are Bridget, the Princess of New Venda. And Tina and I will teach you, won’t we, Tina?” She asked and looked up and over my shoulder.

“Yes, Miss Matilda”, Tina said. Then she walked around to the front of the wheelchair and faced me. “Let’s get you ready, Miss Bridget.”
She helped me stand up and the three of us walked into the bedroom.

“You’re trim for a man, Shelley, but Bridget has been dieting for weeks to get ready for this day. So you have some catching up to do. Tina, please get the corset.”

“Yes, Miss,” Tina said and went to a chest of drawers and pulled something out.

Tillie continued. “We don’t know how long this will last, but we need to prepare you. And that starts with taking a few inches off your waist.” They had me put my hands up and out and pulled a thick garment over my head and down around my middle. Then Tillie held it in place while Tina went behind me and started pulling on the cords. Tillie checked the waist every so often and they gave me a break when they got down to about 64 cm. Then Tina helped me into a floral sundress and strapped my feet into some high heeled sandals. I managed to stand up and they had me parade back and forth from the bedroom to the day room. I was almost starting to get the knack of the heels when we were interrupted by lunch.

Lunch was just a light salad with a few apple slices and some tea. But my stomach didn’t have room for any more food. Then the hard work began. Tillie started a playlist of videos of Bridget’s official appearances. I had to watch each one a couple times, then try to mimic her walk, gestures and speech pattern. By the third video I was starting to slip into the role a bit, but I kept making mistakes. Tillie gave me a break and excused me to rest on Bridget’s bed. Somehow I slipped into a nap.

Chapter 7

I woke up to the sound of voices from the day room. I tried to roll over and go back to sleep, but Tina must have been waiting at the door and heard me. She opened the door and said, “wake up Miss Bridget. Let’s get you ready for your guests.”

Then she led me to a chair at the vanity where I sat while she brushed out my hair. I hadn’t thought it needed it, but it seemed better anyway. Tina led me through the door where I was hugged nearly to death by three strangers while Tina and Tillie just chuckled. “Let her go,” Tillie finally called out and they stepped back and gave me a good look.

“Miss Bridget, these are your bridesmaids. Since Shelley hasn’t met them before, let me introduce them.”

A tall, athletic looking blonde stepped forward. “This is Grace LaForge. She was Bridget’s second year roommate at the University of Sydney. She got a degree in marine biology and works at the Marine Studies Institute.” Grace gave a quick curtsey and stepped back.

“And this is Fiona Ryan” “Just call me Fi!” she interrupted. “Yes, Fi. We know!” Tillie smiled and continued. “Fi was your second year roommate. She took a degree in early childhood development and is working with family services here in Dublin. Fi bobbed a head covered in strawberry blonde curls and stepped back.

“And here is Susan Monash. Susie met Bridget in school here in Dublin and they were roommates the first year at college.” A petite brunette stepped up and gave me a huge hug. Not letting go, she looked up at me and smiled. “You look so like her! I know we’ll find her and get her back, but we can’t let the Norstrilians shame her with a stunt like this.”

“Let her go, Susie!” Tillie called out. “All of you! Gather round!” She waved to the table in the day room while Tina opened the door and ushered in a maid with a steaming pot of tea and several plates of biscuits and cakes.

So we sat around the table. Grace served the tea. And I sampled a chocolate marshmallow tea cake and a couple cardamom lemon shortbread biscuits.

Then the work began. “From now on, Shelley is Bridget, the Princess of New Venda. Right, everyone?” Susie, Fi and Grace chimed in “yes, miss” and stuck their tongues out at her. I gathered this was a thing with them, since Tillie just glared at them and continued. “You are much too visible a figure for one of those crazy hen parties you read about in stories. So, tonight is your Princess Party, Bridget. You have invited 3 girls from the palace staff and 3 girls from foster families here in Dublin to join you for a little sleepover. Grace, Fi and Susie will help me manage the party. Your job is to relax, play with them, let yourself be a little girl for one more night, and help them have a night to tell their granddaughters about. We will keep an eye on things, so just play along and enjoy yourself. Can you do that?”

“I think so,” I responded.

“I know you can. There will be snacks and games, popcorn and a movie, pizza, another movie, and eventually you will get some sleep. But first it’s story time.”

And we spent the next couple hours sipping tea and nibbling on snacks while the bridesmaids pumped up my memory with tales of their adventures with Bridget in college.

Susie started off. “I first met Bridget when she knocked on the door of our dorm room to start moving in. I saw her name when I was checking in at the Uni, but wasn’t sure if it was really the Bridget Warwick until I saw her myself. Everybody rushed out into the hall to see her when the word went around, but she settled them down by calling a meeting in the lounge that evening. Then we went to work unloading and organizing. At the meeting she laid down the ground rules. In the hall and on campus, she was just Bridget, another student. We needed to respect each other’s privacy. What happened in the hall stayed in the hall. But, no funny business. Anyone who felt cramped could apply for a move with no prejudice. The first few days there was a lot of speculation about who on the floor might be a security person in disguise. But after a few weeks that settled down and we were too busy with studies to worry about it. You really helped me with my science and math courses. I don’t think either of us would have made it through Japanese without the other to practice on.”

“Arigato,” I replied.

“I met you in World History class our first year. I was amazed by how much you already knew about where all these countries were and who was fighting with whom about what. But even though you were just sampling the waters and had to be extra careful, you were always there with a big shoulder to cry on when some boy dumped me, and a special hug to perk me up.” I reached out and we shared an extra big hug.
“We shared biology and chemistry classes the first two years, but the marine biology class our third year was the most fun.” Grace commented. “We had taken swimming and scuba classes together, and you made sure we had a private boat for weekend getaways to the reefs to look for Greater Pacific Octopus and whatever else we could find.”

Then we settled down to chit-chat about music, food, clothes and a bunch of other stuff I had trouble keeping up with. About 4 pm, I think Tillie took pity on me and had Tina prep a bath for me. While I relaxed in bubbles and enjoyed the scent, Grace, Fi and Susie adjourned to the kitchenette and started prepping some food for the evening.

Chapter 8

I was beginning to drift into a light slumber when Tillie returned and she and Tina helped me out of the bath and into a dressing gown. Tina brushed my hair out and I just relaxed and enjoyed it. Then Tillie returned with a button front sleeveless dress and they helped me into the dress and some block heel mule sandals. Tina gave me a light makeup with a whispered comment (‘I wouldn’t want to spoil the girls’ fun’) that had me wondering what I was in for. Then we returned to the lounge area and I enjoyed a cup of green tea and snuck in one more biscuit.
Tillie joined me and started showing me some pictures of girls. “Another training session. For tonight, you really need to be on as Bridget. We can’t do another round of introductions without letting the secret out, so let me introduce you to the six girls who will be joining you for your princess party tonight.”

She showed me a skinny girl with shoulder length brunette hair. “This is Julie. She is 13. Her mother is head seamstress in charge of the palace wardrobe department. They’ll be seeing us again in the morning for a final fitting.”

A girl with a round face enclosed in black curls smiled from a picture. “This is Sarah. She is 12. Her mother is an economist working in the Prince’s Trade Department.“

Another girl with a narrower face and a blonde bob showed a big grin and a lot of careful makeup work. “This is Sophie. Her mother is a biologist working the Natural Resources Department and her father is a local defense attorney.”

The fourth girl had long straight black hair and a round face with southeast Asian features. “That is Tam. She is one of the foster girls. Her grandmother emigrated to New Venda after the Viet Nam War and married a sergeant in the army. Unfortunately, her grandparents died of influenza several years ago and her mother has had drug problems, so she was placed into foster care.” I looked at Tam. Her face looked flat, like she was afraid to show any emotion. I wasn’t sure if there was a slight upturn at one edge of her mouth or not. I wanted to give her a big hug and promise she would be all right.

The fifth girl looked taller and had milk chocolate skin with tight curly hair. “This is Zara. Her parents emigrated from Tanzania a couple years before she was born. Things went pretty well for a while, but her father lost his job in an economic slowdown. Then he got into trouble, was arrested and sent to prison. Her mother worked hard to support her, but was killed in a car accident. So she wound up in the foster system.”
Zara’s face also looked reserved. But something in her posture or her eyes told me she had an inner strength. I hoped it was helping her.

The sixth and last girl was a slightly chubby redhead. “And this is Sienna. Her mother was a waitress, but we don’t know who the father is. The mother has problems with depression and drug use. She has bounced around from work to therapy to prison and we had to put Sienna into foster care. She must be a survivor. I visited her once with Bridget and she was so cheerful and full of energy.” I could see a smile on Sienna’s face and hoped it was for real.

Then Tillie pulled out a stack of laminated card-sized pictures. She shuffled them like a deck of cards, then flipped them over and showed me one picture at a time. I had to guess which girl it was.

Hair and skin color helped but the ages were different.

“Tam … Sarah … Zara … Sophie … Tam … Sienna … Zara … Julie … Sophie … … … “

I paused and stared at the next picture. “Sienna?” I guessed. The hair looked reddish, but something didn’t quite match. “No that’s Fiona,” Tillie responded.

“You cheat!” I yelled at her and frowned.

Then she flipped over another card and I frowned. “Where did you get that?”

“That’s you, Bridget,” she added with a bit of emphasis. “And your cousin Shelley.”

Then there was a knock on the door. Tina opened the door and an older woman helped by three girls rolled a cart into the room and moved it over by a wall near one of the corners.

Then the three girls faced me, gave a short curtsey, and stated “thank you so much for inviting us to your party, princess!” I held out my arms and they accepted the invitation and scampered over to give me a hug. I looked at each in turn. “Julie, Sophie, and Sarah. Thank you very much for coming.”

Julie replied, “I’ve been helping my mom work on the dresses for tonight. We can’t wait to see you in yours!”

I paused trying to figure out what to say, but I was rescued by a knock on the door. Tina opened the door and three more girls walked in. Tam, Zara and Sienna gave a quick nod to Tina, then rushed over to join the hugfest. I joined in and tried to share two arms with six squirming girls. Tillie gave us a couple minutes to share the love, then called us over to the table where Charles had helped Tina set up some extra chairs.

“All right, girls.” Tillie said. “Susie, Fi, Grace and I will be managing the food so you can have your fun. We’ll have popcorn for the first movie at 7, then pizza and the second movie. Here are some snacks,” she said as the other three brought in a tray of veggies and dip, cups of ice and some bottles of diet lemon lime and ginger ale.

I started to introduce the girls, but they beat me to the punch by introducing themselves. Then Sophie asked, “Tam, Zara and Sienna; what shall we do first, hair, makeup or nails?”

All three replied “Nails!” So, it was quickly decided. “Great!” Julie said and pulled up a case that was resting on the floor under the table. I sensed a conspiracy, but kept quiet. Julie took out seven bottles of red nail polish, several emory boards and a few clippers. “We’ll take turns around the table. Sarah, you help Sienna do Princess Bridget first.” And the girls set to work. I was glad Tina had worked on my hands earlier, but Sarah and Sienna each gave one hand a meticulous trimming and filing before carefully applying a coat of a medium red color polish. I thought that was to be it, but the mules came off my feet and they went to work on my toes as well. Then while the toes started to dry, my fingers got a second coat. When those were done, I took turns helping Sienna do Sarah’s nails and Sarah do Sienna’s. I tried a little clipping, but Sienna wasn’t satisfied and took that over leaving me to do my best (or worst) filing with the emery board. The other girls had worked in pairs, so we got a lot of attention as we finished up Sienna’s fingers.

“What’s next,” Sophie asked? A couple girls suggested hair, but Julie cut in. “We should put on our gowns first. Then we can do hair to match!” And I joined the rush to the rack in the corner. Julie worked her way down the rack. First she pulled up a yellow and green gown that looked like silk. “Tam, you are Mulan.” She handed the gown over and Tam went to the rest room to change.

“Zara, you are Tiana!” She handed Zara a yellow gown with green outer layering. It was made of some stiff fabric, but Zara received a crinoline to help support it.

“And Sienna, you are Merida of DunBroch!” Sienna received a deep green gown with a gold trimmed band around its wide skirt.

She handed Sarah a set of blue harem pants with a sort of wide skirt and a matching bikini top. “You are Princess Jasmine!” Sarah gave a little squeal and dashed off to the bedroom.

Sophie got a wide two tone blue gown with another crinoline.

Then Julie took down a long white gown and turned to me. “You are the real princess and the best princess of all, so of course you are Princess Leia!” She took down another wide yellow gown and crinoline and told me. “I am Belle. No beast can scare us!” Then she grabbed my hand and practically drug me to the bedroom where the other girls were in the process of changing. She headed for the bathroom and hustled two girls who were changing out to the main bedroom.

“Let Princess Bridget have the bathroom. I’ll help her change.” She said and then closed the door behind us. Then she surprised me with a big hug and whispered in my ear. “Matilda told me what you are doing. I think you are very brave and you really do look like Princess Bridget! I hope they find her soon.”

“I do too,” I whispered back.

Then she started unbuttoning my dress and helped me lower the long white gown over my shoulders. Then she took off her own dress and had me help her slip into Belle’s long yellow ballroom dress and pull up the crinoline to hold the skirt out around her. We emerged to cheers and clapping. “Welcome, Princess Leia! Come. Sit down on the bed. We have to fix your hair.”

The girls split into teams of three each, with Julie, Sarah and Sophie working on my left side while Tam, Zara and Sienna worked on the right. Someone came up with spray bottles that seemed to be just water and they went to work parting my hair down the middle. Then they combed it out and gently braided both sides and pinned them around my ears for the iconic look.

After finishing with me, each of the other girls got a special treatment. Julie/Belle got a partial high pony tail to accent her brown hair. Sarah/Jasmine’s hair was carefully brushed out and accented with a costume jeweled headband that matched her outfit. Somehow they found enough hair in Sophie’s bob to give Cinderella a slight bun in the back. Tam/Mulan had some of her hair pulled up and held there with a golden looking comb. Zara/Tiana got a full up-do with a gold crown to show it off. And Sienna/Merida’s red hair was carefully brushed out to show off its curl.

I was afraid there would be an extended makeup session with many tries and re-tries, but either these girls were experts or they were eager to show off their new outfits. Still, they put Sophie in charge of getting me ready with some assistance from Tam. Fortunately, Princess Leia’s makeup look was generally pretty restrained. After a few minutes of brushing, stroking and patting, they turned me to the mirror. I just looked. I had seen my face several times since the transformation just that morning, but something about my new look seemed more alive and sophisticated. Was I really a princess at heart?

“I told you she’d look great,” Sophie told Tam and they both gave me a little shoulder hug. “Don’t spoil the result. We have to show you off.”
There was a very timely knock on the door and Matilda called out, “are you ready, girls?”

“Almost!” several voices called. Then one of them slipped the door partly open and Matilda replied, “OK. Line up for your big entrance.”

Then, she stepped back and one by one we carefully walked out through the door and into the living room. Matilda introduced each of us in turn.

“Presenting …. The lady Belle.

Princess Jasmine

The mystery lady, Cinderella

The heroine of our army, Princess Mulan

The new princess, Tiana

The defender of DunBroch, Merida

And the heroic and inspiring leader of the New Republic, Princess Leia Organa!!!”

Each girl was greeted with ooh’s and clapping, but when I came into the room, all of them turned to me and cheered and applauded. I gave them a restrained nod and tried to hold back a grin.

“Welcome to my party, ladies.” I finally said and led them to gather around the double table set up in the middle. We sipped on some drinks and tried to chat in character. Eventually Mulan and Merida got into a fierce argument over who was the better archer. I promised to take the whole group for an archery training session at a local range and we paused that discussion. Our gowns were much too nice for flopping on the floor. So we arranged chairs in front of the television and started watching Frozen. I looked in back towards the kitchen area and waved to Susie and Fi to bring popcorn. Then I focused on the movie.

Things went calmly and we were all getting into the movie until Elsa’s powers cut loose and she fled into the mountains and started singing “Let It Go” and spraying ice all around to build her castle. At this point the girls grabbed me, jumped up and started dashing around the room, singing along and pointing everywhere, imagining streams of ice squirting from their finger to decorate the room. After dodging a couple feigned ice sprays, I joined in and tried to figure what places the girls might have missed so I could give them a frosty decoration.

I thought it might have ended soon, but the girls were too pumped up with energy. So one of them backed up the movie to the start of the song and they formed a line and started working out a choreographed dance to follow along. I did my best to try to figure out the moves and avoid poking anyone. After about the third or fourth time through the song, we seemed to have it mostly worked out and the dance picked up energy. After another repetition which I’m sure was caught on cell video, one girl bumped another one, we fell down on the floor and the dance dissolved into a tickling contest. I tried to get a giggle out of each girl but they were ganging up on me. Finally I reached out and squeezed as many of them as I could and encouraged them to get back into their seats and finish the movie. By the time Anna was saved and Hans was exiled, I think we were all getting hungry.

So, I signaled the kitchen to start the pizzas and led the girls into the bedroom to carefully hang up our princess gowns and change into nightgowns. The timing was just right as we exited the bedroom to find hot pizza waiting for us on the table. So another mad dash ensued, but I settled for a regal stroll to the head chair which had been saved for me.

I tried to nibble pizza, but the girls decided to quiz me about the Archduke, Rupert, who was scheduled to arrive the next day.

“When did you meet?”

“Is he a good kisser?”

“What do you like best about him?”

“Did he have any other girl friends?”

“Where is your honeymoon?”

I told them the last question was a secret and then tried to tell them as much as I could remember from a few magazine articles I had read combined with my perspective living in Adelaide and enough educated guesswork to fill in.

“I’m not sure when I first met Rupert because one of us would often travel with our fathers on visits to the other region. We would get paired up for dinners or tag along on some of the less serious visits. Our first real date was probably the New Year’s Eve party when I was 16. My dress wasn’t as showy as your princess gowns, but I remember feeling so pretty wearing it. And Rupert was a real gentleman and a good dancer too. Later in college, I did a lot of blind dates. Some of them were good guys and there were a few jerks. But I started to figure out that Rupert was more fun than any of them and pretty smart as well.

You’ve probably read all the speculation in the gossip magazines. Every time we would show up somewhere there would be more stories. But I didn’t seriously consider marrying him until my senior year when he organized a special relief program for koalas and other animals whose home habitats had been destroyed in the huge fires. It showed that he cared about more than just himself and his status. I wanted to help him.

Now, let’s start the movie!”

And so we settled down on air mattresses with our blankets and pillows to watch Frozen II. It was a good movie too, and I stuck it out to the end. But at least a couple of the girls had drifted off before the closing credits started to roll. As I drifted into the mist of dreams, I wondered if Bridget had been kidnapped by a salamander or an air spirit.

up
83 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So glad to see part 2

I've been waiting to hear more about the princess and finally our hero(ine) can enjoy her skirts. Hope she is found but will Shelley continue in female garb? Please don't keep us waiting long. Love the writing style, comfortable and natural.

>>> Kay

sorry to keep you waiting

gillian1968's picture

I'm glad you are enjoying the story.

I'm trying to develop a comfortable, readable style. So it's good to hear about that.

I plan to finish the story in about 3 or 4 more chunks.

I promise I won't take as long for the next bit.

Gillian Cairns