Summer's Current: Chapters 20-26

Printer-friendly version


“Ladies, we have our orders. Lady Charli, I need the locations of all unrestricted taints.”
“Section 4B, compartments 4B36F thru J.”
“That’s the Daycare center!” Lokust shouted in anger as we hurried through the door at Reception.

 
 

Chapter 20


 
 
“According to my Current sense there are roughly three hundred taints that aren’t moving from this compartment.” Artemis reported, looking confused. “Why aren’t they moving?”
“Maybe they don’t want to leave?” Lokust voiced the obvious answer.
“But why? What is so important here? What could they be protecting?” Artemis pressed.
“I’ll go in to find out.” I volunteered.
“You’ll do what now?” Chantell challenged in controlled surprise.
“I’ll enter the system and ask around. Somebody’s got to know something, right? Lady Kitty, have your shurikens at the ready in case you see me getting into trouble. Lady Lokust shunt the taints around my location like we did earlier- again, if needed.”
“Hope? I just don’t understand our sisters! I have no idea what they’re talking about!” Chantell complained to Mom.
“Let’s just watch and learn how the new generation does it, Shan. It has been enlightening so far to this point.” She advised as she nodded to me.
I asked my Current to take me into their realm- into the Current.
As before, everything went bright orange. Only this time my vision cleared and became a transportation highway… a road of sorts and I was standing right in the middle of it- orange vehicles traveling to either side of me.
Traffic began to slow and gradually came to a stop.
“We are honored, Lady Chance Summers, but you should not be standing in the middle of a major artery. It is dangerous.” A male sounding, orange humanoid shape said as it appeared from one of the bigger, teardrop-shaped, orange ‘vehicles’?
“Sorry, this is my first time. I’m not familiar with the rules.”
“From what we know of your realm, the rules are very similar to ours, Lady Chance Summers. Would you walk down the middle of a…a highway in your realm?”
“No, I suppose not. I came to inquire about the mostly stationary tainted ones we noticed in this area. My coven and I would like to recover and purify them back to our realm.”
“Reports have described those you seek as very staunch and steadfast. They have been a matter of public safety. So much so that several secondary byways- conduits, you call them- have been closed to the traveling public.”
“So how can I get to these poor souls to help them?”
“I can take you to the general area, but I am unable to help in your mission, Lady Chance Summers. We have agreed to not interact with the tainted ones. Live and let live, I believe you say?”
I nodded.
“Please, allow me.” The entity offered as he guided me to the other side of his vehicle. I found myself sitting next to him and we began moving.
“This is a lot different from the last time I was here in your realm. Last time my vision was filled with orange light. That’s how I and my sisters see all this from our realm. The taints look a little darker in color.”
“That’s very interesting, Lady Chance Summers. We were not aware you experienced the sensation of differing wavelengths. You are more like us than we theorized. I am ‘Envoy’ by the way. One of billions sent out to watch for you or others of your Coven race.”
I began to giggle.
“Interesting. You display emotion verbally. You find something humorous, Lady Chance Summers?”
“Please, Chance will do and is more efficient to speak. And yes, I find your designation for my sisters humorous, Envoy. We are not a ‘race’ or species of sorts, but a very small subdivision of a confederation of species we call the Galactic Council. I am representative of just one of such species in my realm. I am of the ‘Terran’ subspecies. The Galactic Council is made up of thousands of subspecies alone. My Coven is actually a very small collection of several sub-species- in several cases, a single representative. We call it a ‘unit’ or ‘team’…a small, coherent group if you will.”
“This meeting is proving more informative than expected. Please, tell me more?”
“First I must satisfy a concern of mine, Envoy. Do you understand the concept of security clearances? Levels or tiers that limit the amount of information someone receives?”
“I hold the highest of clearance levels for our realm, Chance. The same clearance level you have been given when here, in fact. May I also add that it is refreshing to learn other realms practice the concept? Oh…here off to your side are a few of the tormented ones.”
“Is that what you call them here? Forgive me if I have used derogatory or hurtful designations for these unfortunates. It was not my intent, Envoy.”
“Over the ages, there have been many terms given those fouled by the first tainted ones, Chance. It seems the scourge has always been among us and we long ago decided to just avoid them, or in some rare cases, revolt against them. Though that is not advised and is considered very dangerous. As an envoy, I am not authorized to interface with the Tormented. I will stay here while you investigate.”
“Hopefully I won’t be long. Once I find the answers to these Tormented Ones, I will answer a few more questions then return to my realm. If that is acceptable?”
“Completely, Chance. Be careful. The Tormented Ones can be very unpredictable.”
“I shall take that under advisement, thank you.”
I found myself standing next to Envoy’s vehicle and began walking toward a darker shade of orange not far off.
As I drew closer, the darker orange figures became more defined. Three small hobgoblin-like entities were…were playing tag with each other? They were only half the size of other Hoblins in our realm. Here, in this realm, they moved a lot faster and were more agile.
“Excuse me? Hello. What are you doing?” I asked pleasantly.
“Playing. What’s it look like?” a voice, that sounded like three or four voices merged together, replied. All the voices were high-pitched and childlike.
I was dumbstruck! The Hobgoblins had conscripted the children, too!
“I just wanted to let you know that its time for your parents to pick you up. Its been a very busy day for them and they want nothing more than to be with you; be with family.”
“But we don’t want to go home! We like it here.”
“Don’t you want to be with your parents? Don’t you miss them?” I asked.
“They told us our families would be coming here, to us.”
“I don’t think my parents want me anymore. I’ve been waiting here for them, but they haven’t come. Do you know where they are, lady?” One of the other two asked innocently. Their voices sounded female.
I looked at the smallest of the adolescent Hobgoblins. “Of course your folks miss you, sweetie! Wait…who told you that your families were meeting you here?”
“A really big, ugly lady. She said my parents would come looking for me and to stay here and play. She had a really strange accent.”
“Accent like this?” I asked as I did my best impression of Lt. Ling Hu Guan.
The small Hoblin began to ‘giggle’- which sounded like more of a stucato growl or gurgle, but high-pitched like a child.
“You’re funny!” The Hoblin continued to ‘giggle’.
“I don’t wanna go!” The bigger of the three declared. “I like it here.”
“I don’t wanna go either.” The other Hoblin quickly chimed in finally. This one sounded like a mix of a couple boys and a couple girls. It didn’t sound as sure about it though.
Could I even retrieve these kids if they didn’t want to be saved? Up until now the Hoblins just popped up from the deck in our realm where we could purify and recover them. I wasn’t convinced the same procedure would work here…with children. How in the world could I persuade them to follow me back…out of the current? How could I make this as painless as pos…
“Miss? I’d like to go home. I miss Poppy.” The smallest asked as she tugged gently on my skirt.
Without thinking, I reached down and gently took her twisted, distorted hand in mine. A warm trickle moved down my arm and out my hand into the small ‘Tormented One’.
A bright bluish ball of light engulfed ‘her’ then shot into the sky!
“What did you do to her? What did you do to our friend?!” The largest demanded.
“I…I honestly don’t know. I just thought she needed a reassuring hand to hold, and…”
The middle Hoblin grabbed my other hand. “Give her back! Give back our friend!”
The same feeling and blue light appeared again and the result was the same. It shot into the orange-tinged sky and disappeared!
“Why did you do that?!” The largest one growled out angrily. “You made them go away! You took away my playmates!” It declared in a guttural shriek. “Stay away from me, you…you freak!”
The remaining Hoblin took off running. I noticed it was in the direction of Envoy’s vehicle. I had to get there fast to protect my guide in this realm!
I found myself next to the Orange vehicle and noticed the Hoblin approaching but still far enough away. I called my wand.
“Chance. You do not want to destroy the Tormented One. Using your weapon will only finish the conversion into this realm for it. You must somehow do what you did to the other two.” Envoy said from my left side.
“I’m not even sure how I did that! And I’m definitely not sure how I got back here so fast!”
“Isn’t it obvious to you by now, Lady Chance Summers? You are part of this Realm. You have been granted…how do you say it in your realm? Ah…you have been given ‘Dual Status’. One of a select few to receive that honor.”
I felt my mouth drop open as I turned to him. “Thank…thank you? I think? How did I deserve…”
“The Tormented One, Chance?” He reminded me. “Might I suggest the stern parental approach?”
I blinked and nodded my understanding.
“We definitely have to talk after this, Envoy.”
By now the angered Hoblin had almost reached us and I quickly dispelled my wand and took several quick steps toward it. I tried to think of how Mom would handle me if I were misbehaving.
“You just stop right there, young man! Stop! I wasn’t done speaking to you. Now settle yourself down and behave like the young man your parents have taught you to be!” I ordered loudly, but sternly. I hoped I sounded ‘parental’ enough.
To my surprise, the thing stopped just feet from us and lowered his gaze.
“Do you always act like this when told to do something by your instructors or parents?”
I got no reply.
“I’m waiting for an answer, young man.” I pushed as I crossed my arms in front of me.
“No…no…Miss.”
“How old are you, young man?” I asked- only to quench my curiosity.
I made out two ‘eights’, a ‘seven’, and two ‘nines’ as answer.
“Then you are old enough to know better than to shout at me or run away.” I surmised. “Now come over here! We are leaving and you will not argue with me anymore!”
“No…no, miss…but…I…I don’t want to disappear!”
“Don’t you remember how you got here…to this place?” I asked gently.
“Um…no?”
“The blue ball of light brought you here in the first place. Now it will take us home. Please take my hand, young man.” I explained before holding out my hand to it.
As before, the ball of light shot straight up and disappeared.
“May I ask how many children you have in your realm, Chance?” Envoy asked just after the blue light ball vanished from our sight.
“I don’t have any yet. Why?”
“You handled that like a pro. Shall we look for more of the Tormented?”
“Thank you, Envoy.” I said pleasantly as I found myself back in the vehicle. “so how long to the next ones?”
“Not long at all, Chance.”
 
 

Chapter 21


 
 
Hope Summers’ perspective:
 
I couldn’t believe my eyes! Chance…my daughter…she…she just…she just disappeared! Presumably into the Current! How could she even do that? I mean…had I not seen her do it once before, I would assume it to be just a trick.
Then…earlier, she moved so fast it looked like she transported from one place to another! In all my fourteen hundred years, I had never been able to do half the things this girl has done in just forty hours! It’s simply astounding.
“My Lady Hope. Where has Lady Chance disappeared, and was she really serious about going ‘into the Current’? How is it possible?”
“She’s a better witch than I, Kimbou. Even having just gone through her threshold, she is far more advanced than our fourteen hundred years of experience.” I said as I pointed to Shan and Charli.
Charli… Had I just been given back the love of my long life only to lose my daughter? What a travesty that would be! But somehow…someway, I knew Chance was alive and doing the Summers’ name proud!
“Lady Charli, have you ascertained anything about what is going on in this compartment from the sensors?” I asked my mate.
“Sensor logs show the observed taints haven’t moved from this room since the sensor Current feeds were purified, M’lady. Records prior to that have been deleted somehow.”
“So we don’t know if the children got out or…” Kimbou choked. “Or were…con…conscripted?”
“Probability suggests those monsters did just that, I’m afraid.” Charli shook her head sadly. “The very fact that most of the taints haven’t moved…”
“We need to find them! Is there any way of discerning specific conscripted individuals?” Kimbou shot back angrily.
“I’m sorry, Captain. The sensors aren’t that sensitive.” Charli answered.
It dawned on me. Kimbou had a pride!
“You have a kit!” I confronted him as gently as possible.
“Kitten. I have a six-year-old. Her mother left me in charge while she joined a yearlong research project group to the Galactic Border. I had no idea a simple aid mission would turn into this.”
“If they’re here, we’ll get them back, Kimbou. Chance won’t stop until she finds them all!”
“The Major’s right, Skipper. Chance won’t give up. Even before her threshold, Chance stuck to his beliefs!” Lokust assured, bless her heart.
“Sir. I have never met anyone more commited to a cause…” Kitty said before unbelievably, bright blue flashes began filling the compartment, temporarily blinding us.
When the light faded, five hundred children of various ages and one tired looking daughter shared the deck around us!
Kitty and I both gasped at the same time as a small, furry girl of about six years of age stood up and ran to Kimbou.
“Poppy! I missed you! Why didn’t you come to meet me?” She cried as she jumped into her ‘Poppy’s’ arms hugging him for all she was worth and purring loudly.
We both gasped again as we noticed her long tail slowly swing back and forth sinuously.
“She’s of the royal family!” Kitty whispered, aghast.
“I take it you didn’t know you had a cousin?” I whispered quietly back.
“Lady Charli. Please scan these children and see if we can reunite them to immediate family or direct relatives onboard.” Chance requested as she slowly made her way toward us.
“Poppy! That’s her! That’s the nice Miss that found me and helped me come home!” Kimbou’s daughter screamed happily while excitedly pointing to Chance. She easily jumped about ten feet away from her father, landed on her feet, and dashed to my daughter.
“Thank you, Miss! Thank you for sending me home! And you were correct! Poppy was very glad to see me! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!” She shouted happily after jumping up and wrapping her small arms around Chance’s neck.
The look on my daughter’s tired face was priceless!
 
 
Chapter 22
 
 
Chance Summers’ perspective:
 
“Is that the last of them, Envoy?” I asked as we watched the last five Hoblins surrounded by the familiar blue ball of light and shooting skyward.
“In this region, yes, Chance. But I have received information regarding more Tormented Ones. It would be better if you left this realm for your own and tracked them from there. It would take too long to reach in our realm.”
I covered my mouth as a yawn escaped.
“How long have I been here, anyway?” I asked out of tired curiosity.
“According to my chronometer, several hundred ‘psecs’. And yes, it has been a very tiring adventure- though I would do it again if it meant the chance of interacting with you, Lady Chance Summers! I have learned so much about you, your beliefs, and your realm and dream of the chance to visit in person if ever there was a way possible!”
“It would be my pleasure to do that if a way was found, Envoy. Thank you for all your help in locating those children.” I said as another yawn fought its way out of me.
“You must return to your realm now, Lady Chance Summers. Allow yourself a beneficial rest knowing your mission was successful. I will now file my report and distribute it to the other regions so my confederates will know what to expect should you visit their region. Thank you again, Lady Chance Summers, Lady of Two Realms.”
I wrapped my arms around the orange humanoid figure and squeezed gently once then let him go.
“And thank you, Envoy. I enjoyed your companionship. Good bye for now.” I said as I thought about going ‘home’.
I found myself back in the Daycare facility. At the opposite end of the large compartment from where I started. Before me were hundreds of children, of differing ages. One little girl- at the other end of the compartment- started shouting and running to…
The Captain?
“Poppy! I missed you! Why didn’t you come to meet me?” She screamed as she easily made the jump into his surprised arms- probably ten or so feet away and four high!
I gasped! The Lynxin kitten had a long tail!
Even from the opposite side of the compartment- and with all the adolescent chatter, I could hear Sinae and Mom gasp in surprise, too. Obviously, Sinae didn’t know she had a cousin on Mare.
“Lady Charli. Please scan these children and see if we can reunite them to immediate family or at least any relatives onboard.” I requested as I slowly made my way across the room.
“Poppy! That’s her! That’s the nice Miss that found me and helped me come home!” The little Lynxin screamed happily. She was pointing directly at me! She surprised me by jumping away from her father a good ten feet, landing on her feet, ran several dozen feet then jumped up into my arms, wrapping her arms around my neck.
“Thank you, Miss! Thank you for sending me home! And you were correct! Poppy was very glad to see me! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!”
I wasn’t quite sure how to handle this! In one way it felt wonderful to hold this excited, strong, ball of purring and shouting fur, but in another it pained me that she and the others had almost been taken away…ripped from their families so callously and cruelly.
If I wasn’t so concerned about dropping the over-excited kitten, I would have wiped the tears from my eyes.
“My Lady Chance. My sincere thanks for returning Lyra to me…thank you for returning all our futures to us!” Serangetti extended his arms in offer to take back his daughter only to have her again jump from an adult’s arms.
“Poppy! It’s her! She’s exactly as I imagined her!”
Young ‘Lyra’ was kneeling in front of Sinae now.
“Your Majesty! It is such an honor to finally meet you! I am Serangetti Lyra. First kitten to Sonja and Kimbou. I am at your service, your Majesty.”
“Sir?” Sinae…Kitty stared at the little girl. I think I actually saw fear in her eyes!
“Lyra, this isn’t Queen Libra. Lady Kitty, I must apologize for my daughter’s over-exuberance. Sonja and I have been teaching her our royal succession and showing her historical images when available.”
“You certainly look like the great Queen, My Lady. Forgive me. You had me fooled compl…”
The young girl quickly jerked her head to her right and began twisting around and around at an incredible speed.
I couldn’t help giggling as the tyke chased her tail, but reached out and stopped her after a moment to retrieve and gently bring her tail around for her to inspect. In my side vision I noticed Kitty blushing in embarrassment.
“My Ladies?” Serangetti asked as he looked around to each of us- mostly me and Mom. “Why…how…is her tail so long? Neither I nor my mate are of the royal line.”
“Lady Charl…?” I began to ask.
“According to highly classified, triple-encrypted, and securely sealed records, Lyra and her mother, Sonja’s, genetic codes are present in the FeLane Royal lineage archive with a succession correlation of ninety-percent. A search of classified medical records indicate both individuals underwent Coccyx amputations- Sonya, at age sixteen, Lyra, at birth.”
Our stunned captain stared at Charli for some time.
“Told you Charli was very good at her job, Kimbou.” Mom said quietly with a wide smile.
“But how could she have her tail if it was removed at birth?”
“The same way Kitty got hers back when Chance activated her, Kimbou. Magic!” Mom answered adding an exaggerated mysticism to her voice.
“Actually, I think the Current restores the body using the existing gen…” I said before Mom ‘shhhhhshht’ me.
“Trade secrets, M’lady.” She raised her eyebrows to me and gave a nod.
“I thought you said he was cleared?”
“He is, buuuuut” Mom looked around the large compartment- at all the young, impressionable ears deftly trained on our conversation.
Recalling my wand, I slowly traced a horizontal circle in the air. It began to glow blue and expanded into a full, two-foot ball- a ball that, with a flick of my wand, dropped to the floor and began bouncing around. It gently bounced into and off of any children that got in the way or tried to catch or swat at it. Soon, playful laughter filled the Daycare facility.
A boy of about twelve with bluish highlights to his otherwise brownish red hair came over and bowed before Simone.
“With your permission, majesty? Is it possible to speak with this Lady of Court?” He inquired respectfully.
Simone nodded slowly in confusion.
Rising, he reverently bowed to me then to my Coven sisters. Of course we returned the gesture to be polite.
“Lady…Chance?” He asked shyly.
“That’s right, young man. What can I do for you?” I confirmed.
“Are you…are you…”
“Am I what, dear?” I asked hoping that would ease his nerves.
“Are yoooooou…um…a…a witch?” He asked nervously, his eyes desperately not wishing to make contact with mine.
“Would it frighten you if I was?”
He slowly shook his head ‘no’ after a moment of thought.
“Um…no…but…but it…um…makes…sense…with…with what you…can…um…do.”
“Well, don’t be frightened, but me and my sisters are witches. We’re not so bad, right?”
The boy looked up at me in confusion. “Why would you be bad? Don’t witches help people? Like you helped me…us get back? Even though…um…we…my friends and I…we didn’t want to come back?”
His admission cleared things up and I now thought I recognized his voice.
“You and your friends should behave better when left on your own. I don’t like having to pull rank on you, you know.”
I slowly raised my hand, palm up, and conjured another bouncy ball of blue light and handed it to him.
“Here. You and your friends have some fun.”
The moment he tried to take the ball it bounced away. He and several other boys began chasing it with smiles on their faces and laughter.
Mom nodded her approval- her smile was the brightest I’d ever seen since before I enlisted!
A yawn escaped my mouth surprising me. I thought that once back in my own realm, I’d feel better. I now noticed that the fatigue had followed me home. Maybe it was the excitement of the returned children that had delayed it?
“Lady Lokust, could you take over the mission? I’m feeling very tired. My contact in the Current stated that it took us several hundred ‘pee-secs’ to complete.”
“Aye, M’lady.” Lokust acknowledged, but looked confused. “Um…Lady Chance? You weren’t gone that long. Maybe a minute at most. And what is a ‘pee-sec’?”
“Envoy didn’t go into detail. We mostly talked about our realms to each other while we searched his region for ‘Tormented Ones’. He was very gracious and gentile.” I answered.
“He?” Mom choked. “You met a guy? In the Current?”
“Apparently a ‘pee-sec’ is comparable to our ‘pico-second’ to a certain extent, M’ladies.” Charli suggested. “One of their ‘psecs’ is like one of our hours here.”
“That makes sense since it seemed to take forever to round the kids up and send them home. A few days, at least. By my perspective. Lady Lokust, you’re in charge. I’m going offline for a few hours. Alert me of any complications as necessary.” I said before turning and walking toward the entrance.
“Lady Lokust. If I may be allowed to escort Lady Chance?” I heard Mom ask behind me.
“I think that’s a very good idea, Lady Hope. We’ll call if things get out of hand.”
“My sincere thanks, M’lady.” I heard as Mom caught up and gently took my hand in hers.
“I’m going to make sure you get back to your quarters and get some rest, young lady!” Mom commanded. “And along the way, you will tell me about this ‘guy’ you met in the Current! What was he like? What did he look like? What were his intentions?” She prattled off rapid-fire.
I could do nothing but blush and stare at the floor during the whole inquisit… journey back to our new base.
 
 

Chapter 23


 
 
“Welcome back, Sleepin’ Beauty.” Charli greeted as I managed to open my eyes. Just the phrasing of that simple greeting told me this woman was my father in his ‘activated’ form.
I was in my bed and wearing something smooth and silky feeling next to my skin.
“Hope found something for you to wear…something that fits you now.” She said seeing that I was somewhat confused. “She and Shan decided to go raid the commissary for clothes seeing as Chantell refuses to wear any of Hope’s ‘old shit’. Apparently she didn’t have time to grab her go bag when conjuring her life pod.
I don’t know why I did it, but I jumped out of bed, wrapped my arms around her, and began crying on her shoulder! It felt so good to have my mom and dad- well, almost my dad- back in my life.
“Oh wow! I could get used to this.” She said with a satisfied, happy, moan.
“Well don’t get too used to it, you old perv!” Mom interrupted as she and Chantell walked in. “We couldn’t find too much for you dear. Apparently, you wear a very popular size.” Mom informed Charli. She then looked at me. “You look very nice in that nightgown, honey.”
“Rocks it way better than you ever did, Hope!” Chantell teased. “Should make that ‘Envy’ guy eat right out of her hand.”
No hint there! No sir-ree!
“Envoy. His name is ‘En-voy’.” I corrected as I rolled my eyes.
“So…what’s he actually look like, sweetie?” Chantell started her version of an inquisition.
 
 
“You shittin’ me? You got the hots fer some orange humanoid fig’er? You never seen his face even?” Chantell recapped, exasperated.
“No and nope! Even his vehicle was just an orange shape that resembled what I thought a vehicle would look like. I know it felt like I sat in the thing AND I know it got us to where we were going, but I don’t remember getting in or out of it though.”
“Too bad Libra ain’t here; she was the best at getting’ to the nitty-gritty.”
“Look…I’m telling you everything I know! Can I get dressed now?”
“Fine, but I reserve the right to interrogate this ‘Envoy’ guy if he ever makes an appearance in this…this realm!” Mom relented.
“Fine.” I said as I snapped my fingers. My nightie was replaced by my BDUs, although now augmented to fit my new bodyshape.
“I never raised you to be a showoff, Chance Summers.” Mom commented snidely.
“Well, I had to wear something! If I’m to interact with the crew like before, I need to be in uniform.”
“So where’s THE uniform, honey?” Mom asked- her brow raised high.
“Behind you, on the dresser. Folded neatly. Just like I found it. Why, don’t you trust me with it?” I instantly felt bad for being so ‘snarky’.
“Oh I trust you, honey. I…we’re just not used to your level of magic yet. Amazed by it, actually! I wasn’t able to manifest my clothing for the first century or so following my threshold. Charles was never very good at it, and Shan here wouldn’t do anything that even smelled like Black Magic or Voodoo.”
“Got that right, girlfriend! I’ll manifest my wand and broom, but that’s about it, sweetie. I was always taught that magic was ‘Give and Take’. Well, we seen what just ‘Takin’’ does.”
“That we have, Shan.” Mom nodded solemnly.
“Now, it seems, my daughter is seeing a man from a different dimension…”
“Realm.” I corrected, in a low, irritated growl.
“Oh, leave the girl alone, you two!” Charli said, coming to my rescue. “If Chance says they have no intentions for each other then leave it at that! My God, you two sound like a couple of old Jewish Matchmakers!”
Although I had no idea about the declaration and what ‘Jewish Matchmakers’ had to do with anything, I took Charli’s forearm.
“Thank you, Daddy.” I said and kissed her on the cheek.
“You’re quite welcom…” Charli’s smile disappeared and her head turned back to me. “Hey! What are you playing at? Your mother does the same thing when she wants something… And knows I’ll say no.”
“I do not! And even if I did, you can’t prove a thing, Charli Armstrong!” Mom screeched.
“Well, I’m glad one family has been reunited and has normalized relations.” Sinae cracked as she, Dell, Simone, and Lokust all filed into my slightly larger sleeping quarters.
“So…how goes the mission?” I asked, quickly changing the subject.
“Lady Charli could you give us a status report of Mare’s internal sensors?” Lokust requested.
“Give me a moment. I’m in parent mode right now. We will talk later, Chance.” Charli replied then threatened me while smiling. “We’ll do a briefing in our new Meeting Room in ten. By that time I’ll have my shit together, ladies.”
“Good enough. I need to hit the head anyway. In the Meeting Room in ten then.” Lokust confirmed and my coven sisters filed out. That left Mom and Chantell. Both were standing at the foot of my bed arms crossed under their breasts, staring quietly.
“I guess I should get back in uniform.” I said as my Witch Corps uniform appeared on me. I snapped my fingers and my pointed hat appeared in my hand.
“Is this better, Mom?” I sniped as I carefully placed the hat on my head and positioned the saggy point to my two o’clock… “Say; what does hat orientation matter anyway?”
“Rank, honey. Two signifies commanding officer. Ten signifies second in command. Any position from three, through nine are the specialized, subordinate officers- mostly Lt’s, Lt. Commanders, Captains and Majors. As you may have realized, Witch Corps has no enlisted, honey. We didn’t want some jerk-assed Corporal or Jay-Gee giving us attitude or trying to take over!”
I nodded. “Shall we get to the briefing, ladies?”
“Who said you could go back to duty, honey?” Mom threatened.
I simply pointed to my hat.
“Two o’clock, remember? Ladies, let’s go across the hall.”
“Aye! Up yer’s too, ma’am!” Mom barked, standing to attention. She looked angry I just pulled rank on her. Her hat was now pointed roughly to three o’clock.
“Jealous much, Hopewell?” Chantell laughed as she physically turned my mother around and pushed her out of my sleep quarters.
 
 
“According to Mare’s repurposed interior sensors, we still have several hundred taints in the system just outside of Section 2A.” Charli briefed us in our new Meeting Room. “I hafta admit, Chance, you did one helluva job designing this situation room. Everything I need is available and works perfectly.”
I nodded politely.
“Lady Lokust, you, Chantell, and Simone proceed to that section and purify it. Recover as many as you can. Alert Capt. Serangetti that he can remove the wet closet quarantine. Lady Charli, how are we doing with the reuniting of children and parents or guardians?”
“Capt. Serangetti has agreed to handle that portion, M’lady. So far only twenty percent of the children have been reunited with family. According to Mare’s medical records we can only expect a final success rate of forty-five percent. I’m currently gaining access to planetary records in the represented systems for next of kin relations. The rest may need enrollment in their home system’s adoption agencies.” She said sadly. “I’m sorry, Chance. That’s the best case scenario.”
“Would things go quicker if we used Pegasus’ arrays, M’lady? That way we could utilize her advanced propulsion system to unite child with relative.”
“But wouldn’t that take months, Buddy?”
“It might…if Pegasus used conventional Current propulsion.” I answered and waggled an eyebrow with a devious smile.
“Should I even bother to ask, Buddy?”
“You could try, M’lady, but you wouldn’t like the explanation…or the theory behind it.”
“You figured out Subspace Drive, sweetie?” Chantell asked excitedly.
“I like Dimensional Transition Drive.” I said with a proud smile. “Or just ‘Trans-Dimensional Propulsion.”
Simone inhaled sharply.
“So. While you and your team clear Section 2B, the rest of us will get Pegasus ready for her maiden voyage.”
Filing out of the Meeting Room, we divided up into our teams and went our separate ways.
 
 

Chapter 24


 
 
“Broom Closet Control. Status on Pegasus fuel reserve.” I requested from the hangar A.I.
Pegasus fuel capacity stands at eighty-five percent and increasing.”
“Thank you, M’lady. We’ll be readying her for departure.”
“My I ask about the intended flight configuration, M’lady?”
“All brooms except Pegasus7. Lady Charli will be busy with astronavigation…” I ordered as I thought about something else. A feeling…that feeling, informed me of something else.
“Broom Closet Control. Reconfigure all brooms with two seats. Full harnesses and apparatus. Also reconfigure two of Pegasus’ quarters into two, twenty bunk crew rooms, one fitted for female crew, the other for male crew.”
“It will be done, M’lady. Estimated time for modifications: three hours. Coven member quarters will require compaction into double bedded units to accommodate the given specifications.”
“Thank you, Control. We’ll go aboard now and begin our preparations.”
Once more, I donated some Current to Pegasus’ fuel reserves bringing it up to ninety-eight percent. My Coven sisters looked around curiously at the automated reconfiguring going on as we made our way to the bridge.
“Hangar door zero-one activation in progress. Please remain observant!”
“What’s that suppose to mean?” Mom asked just as the small- by our viewpoint- man door closed and the whole wall began to separate at its middle. The wall subdivided into six separate, but huge, panels and continued to move to the sides until fully opened.
Pegasus transfer to flight line commencing. Please remain observant!”
We began to move.
“God, Chance! This is so freakin’ outrageous!” Charli shouted out in joyous, childish, glee with a huge smile on her face.
“Hangar door one-zero through one-seven activation in progress. Please remain observant!”
We were now far enough out of Pegasus’ hangar to see the other hangar doors opening, revealing our new Brooms.
“Extending Pegasus broom pylons. Please watch your clearances!”
“OUT-FREAKIN’-RAGEOUS!” Charli squealed out excitedly.
We spent more time watching the broom loading operation than we did ship preparations!
“This is all very impressive, Chance, but will we even know how to fly those…our brooms?” Kitty asked.
“Did you need to think about using your personal brooms before?” I asked seriously.
Sinae looked perplexed.
“Come to think of it, no. Why is that?” She asked as her ears twitched continuously.
Mom laughed lightly.
“Because we’re witches, honey. Witches just know how to ride…excuse me, pilot… brooms- be they straw or Starfighter. It’s part of our magical nature.”
“So we’re officially witches then? Not Terran, Lynxin, Antarran…”
“Envoy claims the Current thinks we’re our own species and designated us ‘Coven’.” I mentioned, cutting Sinae off. That got everyone to stare at me!
“I tried to correct him, but…”
“You were too busy flirting with him. I get it, sister.” Dell…Artemis teased.
I glared at her! This wasn’t going to fade away any time soon, I guessed.
“Shouldn’t you be familiarizing yourself with your station?”
Artemis said nothing, but sat down at what I knew to be her station and began reviewing instructional documents on one of its displays.
Sinae…Kitty sighed and did likewise. Mom stuck next to me as I stepped forward and ran my right hand over the seatback with its built in headrest/restraint.
We all felt the small shudder and a light on Kitty’s console illuminated.
Pegasus Broom 5 mounted, safetied, and umbilicaled. Access passage is now useable.”
“Huh! I wondered what those twelve indicators were for.” Kitty deadpanned. “I suppose the covered buttons just underneath are the emergency jettison controls?”
I nodded as I looked to the display on my console. It showed a configuration drawing of Pegasus with one Broom attached to her belly; the fighter icon was labeled ‘Laidy-in-Wait’.
And so it went as Broom Closet Control outfitted Pegasus with her requested ‘Brooms’. We watched as each was lifted, oriented, and secured. Each time another indicator lit on Kitty’s console, and each time Pegasus’ inventory was updated on my display. Seven positions were now filled and labeled with our Coven sisters’ callsigns.
One more shudder and another indicator illuminating surprised me.
Pegasus Broom 8 mounted, safetied, and umbilicaled. Access passage is now useable.”
Looking down at my display the callsign ‘Seeker’ appeared.
“External ship reconfiguration is complete, High Priestess.”
“I only requested seven Brooms, Control. What’s going on?”
“Witch Corps protocol specifies one designated escape craft per Coven Sister.”
“She’s right, Chance.” Mom confirmed with a devious smile. “Looks like you’re too smart for your own good, honey.”
“Lady Charli. Status on children and relative/guardian search.”
“Still interrogating several of the systems archives, M’lady. It looks like we can reunite about thirty-eight kids to a separated parent, designated secondary guardian, or grandparent(s). So far, twelve different systems and fourteen planets in all.”
“Start researching a cyclic course that is efficient and will intercept Mare on our return.”
“Aye, M’lady.” Charli acknowledged as she stood from a station console and walked back to her own, special, station.
As before the transparent tube sealed and opaqued as she sat down.
“AstroNavigation now online, M’lady.” Charli’s voice alerted through the Bridge transducers.
“Lady Lokust, Lady Chance. We’ve finished purification of Section 2B. Recovered two hundred-fourteen crewmembers. Fifty-three unrecoverable partials.”
“Head back to base, Lady Lokust. It’s time to go for a ride.” I informed her.
“Copy that, buddy! See you in twenty. Lady Lokust, out.”
“Lady Charli? Let’s get Pegasus ready for departure.”
“Copy. Enviromental systems initializing.”
“Environmental systems online and nomial, High Priestess.”

As before, several consoles before us initialized and began sequencing through their various displays.
“Navigation and propulsion systems initialized. Conventional weapons systems initialized and charging. Current reserve tanks ninety-eight percent and circulating. Shall I continue, High Priestess.”
“Continue bootup.” I responded.
“Active camouflage initialized and online. Default camo design implementation, High Priestess. Shall I proceed with main engine initialization?”
“Not yet. We’ll wait for the rest of our crew to arrive.”
“As you wish, High Priestess. Bootup complete. Standing by.”
 
 
“I have Lady Lokust requesting access to the flight line, High Priestess. The area is secure and free of equipment movement.”
“Allow access, Broom Closet Control.”
“As you wish, High Priestess.”
Looking down at the seemingly minuscule stairs to our right, we watched Lokust, Chantell, and Simone step out onto the landing and suddenly stop- their mouths plainly dropping at the sight of Pegasus sitting and prepped for departure on the flightline.
“You ladies going to get aboard or do we leave without you?” I asked into our comm.
 
 

Chapter 25


 
 
“Welcome aboard!” I greeted with a large excited grin. “Stations.”
“Proceed with propulsion initialization.”
“Main and maneuvering emitters initializing. Maneuvering emitters start confirmed. Main emitters start confirmed.” Simone reported.
“Broom Closet Control, commence departure routine. Pegasus confirms all systems online.”
“Copy, Pegasus. Decompressing hangar.”
“Major? You want to take your station and get ready to get us underway?” I asked Mom.
“Chance? Honey, it’s been centuries since I piloted anything other than my personal broom…”
“I hear it’s just like riding a bicycle, Mom! Once you learn, you never forget. Time to get back on that horse, Major.”
“HAW!” Chantell burst out in a snorting laugh. “You DO know she almost ran us, headlong, into FeLane, right?”
“Shut it, Shan! I got us home, right?” Mom responded, very annoyed.
“I’ll give you that one, Hopewell. You’re a much better pilot now than you were when a guy.” She giggled.
“Shut up, sit down, and buckle up, pardners!” My mother ordered as she sat down to her console and studied the controls.
“SONOFABITCH!” Mom swore as she looked at the pilot’s console. “These are the same controls as OUR Pegasus! Chance, honey, how did you get this information?”
“Can you fly her or not, Major? If not, move over and let Chantell have the controls.”
“You kidding? She actually crashed a shuttle! I only ALMOST ran into a planet of twenty billion inhabitants.” Mom snarked in response.
“Hangar is now equalized with exterior environment. Opening Main Broom Closet doors.”
The hangar lights dimmed and we began to see stars at the other end of the flight line.
Pegasus, Closet door is open. Departure vector has been issued. Confirm.”
Mom nodded back to me.
“Copy, Control. Pegasus departing. See you in a few days.”
“Safe travels, Witch Corps.”
“Enable Active Camoflage for deep space configuration.” I ordered.
“Active Camo mode enabled, High Priestess.” Simone acknowledged.
“Take us out, Major.”
“As you wish, High Priestess.” Mom replied in a teasing voice.
Pegasus began to move into the blackness of outer space on her maiden voyage.
“Charli, we’ll go out about two LY’s, turn around then uncloak. We’ll then contact Mare Tower of our arrival.”
“As you wish, High Priestess. Course plotted and transferred to Major.”
“Ready when you are, High Priestess.” Mom confirmed.
“Main emitters to full.”
“Full throttle, High Priestess.” Mom repeated as she slid her finger up a small, specific section of her console.
An alarm sounded instantly.
Mom’s eyes suddenly opened wide as she quickly worked her console again! “We’re here?”
“Yer shittin’ me!” Chantell gasped as she looked at her sensors then to Mom’s.
“You mean to tell me that we went two LY’s in the blink of an eye, buddy?” What kind of a ship did you build us?”
“Obviously a very fast one, M’lady.” Kitty deadpanned. Dell just looked over at me with a look of disbelief. Simone though, looked on the verge of passing out.
“Fuel status.”
“Ninety-seven-point-nine-nine-nine-five percent. That…that hardly took anything!” Simone choked.
“Huntress, open a Comm to Mare Tower and identify us.”
Dell nodded and reached for her control console.
Pegasus calling Mare de Tempest Tower, over.”
“Mare de Tempest Tower. Restate your ident.”
“Mare Tower. Registry number NCC-53847B, Pegasus.” Artemis re-identified us.
“Slowly uncloak us and move in at full sublight.” I ordered.
“As you wish, High Priestess.” Mom acknowledged with a slight giggle again. I failed to see what was so humorous.
“Will you stop that, Hopewell! You’re embarrassin’ me!” Chantell chided, annoyed by Mom’s giggling when addressing me.
Though I didn’t understand why Dad…Charli had started calling me ‘High Priestess’ before we even got onboard, I just assumed it was Witch Corps protocol.
Pegasus, Mare Tower. Sorry it took so long. We had to check our registry database, its been a while since your last visit, and we received no advance on your arrival. Can you state your purpose?”
“Overclearance business, Mare Tower. Suggest you consult Captain Serangetti.”
“Standby, Pegasus.”
“So, why are we doing this rather than gathering the kids into Pegasus initially, buddy?” Lokust asked.
“Part shake-down cruise, part officially re-introducing Witch Corps. They have to see us to believe we really exist.”
“Oh. I…I don’t get it.”
“Mare Tower, Pegasus. You are cleared for final approach. Sending coordinates for hangar bay Port two-niner, repeat, Port two-niner.”
“Port two-niner. Copy, Mare Tower.” Dell answered. “Lokust? Isn’t that the High Security Hangar used for planetary heads of state?”
“Yes. That’s the one, Lady Artemis.” Lokust replied in embarrassment. I could feel the heat from her blushing face from my console. It was also the hangar ‘Grub’ arrived in from planet side after his…gastric issue.
“ETA to Mare de Tempest at full sublight, one hour, High Priestess.” Charli announced to break up the laughter.
“Take us in, Major.” I said as I pointed to our forward view screen.
 
 
Mom piloted us into the large hangar bay and settled us gently on the deck like the pro I just recently learned she was. To say I was elated my mom could handle a spacecraft so well was a gross understatement.
“So, do we introduce ourselves as Witch Corps straight away or do we appear as ‘sophisticated’ dignitaries?” I asked.
We usually leave the uniforms until we need them.” Mom answered. “We’re kind of doing things bass-ackwards this time.
“Oh, okay then, we’ll do this.” I said and snapped my fingers.
Everyone except me jumped when our clothing changed; becoming off-white, off one shoulder, silky, shimmery, sheath dresses with matching heels and silver…no…platinum jewelry. I threw in a little tasteful makeup for each of us as well.
“So…anyone still having a problem calling Chance here ‘High Priestess’?” Lokust asked as she looked around the Bridge, but finally stared at Mom with narrowed eyes.
“I think these look marvelous, Honey! How did you know?”
As if choreographed everyone else chorused: ‘A little Current told her!’
Mom sighed heavily as she rolled her eyes.
“Our uniforms can be recalled individually by each of us when needed. Just picture the uniform when needed. Everyone got that?”
My Coven sisters all nodded, except…
“Honey, the next time you want to change my clothes, some advanced warning would be appreciated. You literally scared the piss outta me!” Charli groused.
“Oh, suck it up, Charles! Do the magical liner change that I taught you and quit complaining.” Mom growled.
 
 
Once the hangar was secured and re-pressurized, and all systems were offline, we lowered the ramp and exited single file- me leading my tastefully dressed Coven sisters proudly. Serangetti looked as confused as anybody in the hangar.
“Captain Serangetti! So nice to see you again.” I greeted as I walked over to him and placed a kiss on his left cheek. His long whiskers tickled my face a little.
“My Lady.” He acknowledged with a nod as he blushed. “Seems like only yesterday.”
“Indeed. Has it been that long?” I smiled pleasantly as I took a quick look around.
“Our advanced tactical group has been in contact with us. We wish to offer our services to Mare de Tempest’s crew.” I continued while also listening to the comments from Serangetti’s subordinates.
Things like:
“Wow! Ain’t she a beauty!”
“Them or the ship?”
“Never seen anything like her.”
“Never seen anything like the eight of ‘em.”
“I meant the ship! But, yeah, they’re something else too!”
“How they keep it so shiny?”
“I’d do it for any one ‘em! Fer just a smile, too!”
“Look at all those peripheral craft!”
“Yeah, I like the big ones on the one in the back with the cool blue hair.”
“You moron! I was talking about the ship! She’s Antarran Royalty! Is that all you men think about? Don’t be a swine!”
“Everyone! Get back to work!” Serangetti barked, causing the whole flight deck to spring back into motion as one. Serangetti motioned for us to follow him.
We ended up in his private conference room. I immediately placed a protection spell about the room and nodded it was safe to speak.
“Sorry about that. I’ll have a talk with them about sensibilities after everything is resolved with the Hoblin scourge. Why the ‘grand entrance’ if I may ask?”
“We needed to be ‘real’ in order to find the orphans homes, sir. Having them just disappear wouldn’t be wise.” I rationalized.
“Good point. Why is it you never applied for Officers Training, Lady Chance?”
“I wasn’t like this before my threshold, sir. Something…something just…I just snapped when I saw my friends get conscripted. I…I changed…in that moment.” I told him as I fought to hold back the emotions those memories dredged up.
“I understand completely, My Lady! When I realized that my Lyra had been conscripted, I…I thought my life was over- that I failed in my duties as a parent! That single thought shook me to my core. Lyra is my world!”
As if on cue the child broke into the room and dove for her ‘Poppy’.
“Poppy! I finally caught up to you!”
I wondered if she had even noticed us in the room.
“Um…how did she get through your protection spell, High Priestess?” Lokust asked in surprise.
“It was a spell so we could talk, Lady Lokust. Cleared individuals with the proper intentions can enter and leave freely. In this case, Lyra had every intention of being with her ‘Poppy’ and nothing was going to stop her.” I explained dramatically. “Plus, she’s FeLane royalty. Far be it from me to dis the Royals.”
“Lyra, my kitten, I am right in the middle of something here. Can you please wait for me in my office?”
“I was so lonely, Poppy! Oh, Hi, My Lady. You look very nice, but I liked your uniform better.” The little Lynxin dropped to her knee once more facing Kitty.
“Hello, cousin.” Kitty greeted with a somewhat forced smile.
The girl was surprised to say the least as she looked up, mouth open and eyes wide.
“But I am not of the royal family, My Lady!” The young Lynxin corrected.
“What has your ‘Poppy’ taught you about the royal family and the importance of the tail?” Kitty quizzed.
“That a long tail is the right of…” Lyra began then caught sight of her long, ‘royal’ tail as it curled around her left side and twitched as if having a mind of its own.
“But I thought it a gift from the High Priestess… Lady Chance?” Lyra exclaimed as she turned to look at me.
Those big yellow irises and surprised, emotional expression just about melted my heart, and I fought to not express…
“Awwwww!” My other Coven sisters- except Kitty- exclaimed as one.
“That’s just soooo cuuuute!” Simone said in a very girly voice.
That, I think, surprised me more than if Lokust had said it. Of course Simone quickly realized what she had done and, like Lokust earlier, blushed profusely.
“Lyra. I can assure you that we are cousins. Your grandmamma is my aunt.” Kitty guaranteed.
“Oh, okay. Poppy? Can I ride in that big, shiny spacecraft that just arrived?” Lyra changed subjects without skipping a beat. Kitty looked at the girl in complete amazement.
“My kitten. That ship belongs to Lady Chance and her Coven. I suggest you ask her after we conclude our meeting. So…could you please wait for us out in my office, young lady?”
“High Priestess? Can I ride in your spaceship? I promise I won’t make trouble or get in the way.”
“Oh, I can sooo see Libra in there!” Mom giggled as I sat, stunned, by the child’s boldness.
“Maybe, Lyra, but we need to talk to your ‘Poppy’ first. Be a good girl and do as your father says, honey.” I told her in as gentle a manner as I could.
“Okay.” She said quickly, but stopped and turned back to us. “Oh. You all look so very pretty, High Priestess. Bye.”
The young Lynxin exited the room as fast as she had entered. We all remained silent for a moment, just looking at the door in amazement.
“You two are definitely related, Lady Kitty.” Mom laughed. “Hurricanes Kitty and Lyra. The next great storms to take FeLane!”
Chantell and Charli broke into laughter and the three continued for a few minutes.
“She kinda reminds me of Libra’s little sister, Sonya, Hope. Same attitude, same happy-go-lucky outlook, same blind courage.” Charli suggested.
It was the captain’s turn to look at my three Coven sisters in surprise. Apparently, he had picked up on the name Dad…Charli claimed had been Queen Libra’s sibling.
Mom smiled deviously. “You mean to tell me that while teaching the kitten about FeLane royalty, you neglected to realize your mate shares her name with her great-great-however many times removed it really is-Grandmother, Kimbou? For shame! You being an official royal guard and all.”
“My Lady, I was fortunate enough to have made it through the Haturo inquisition with my commission intact! Any study of the old bloodlines was strictly censored.”
I noticed Sinae’s fur raise at the mention of her now deposed, and incarcerated father.
“Please forgive me, Lady Kitty. I know the very mention of his name sours your stomach.”
“He now sits on his rightful throne, sir. I should be over the whole unpleasant incident by now. Forgive ME for my unrefined response.”
“Oh? They don’t use stainless for the privys in FeLane Correctional facilities anymore?” Chantell stage whispered to Mom.
Serangetti just closed his eyes, smiled in amusement, and shook his head sideways several times.
“Anyway. The reason for our big entrance. Lady Charli has been combing the Galactic Alliance records for relatives or potential guardians for those children that have lost one or both parents to the Hoblin invasion. We offer transportation to the forty children who have registered, legal alternate caregivers not residing on Mare de Tempest, but in other systems…other planets. I guarantee safe passage for those that accept, Captain.”
“Would it be possible to copy me on that list, My Lady Charli?”
“Should be on your DataTab as we speak, sir.” Charli responded with a smile. Serangetti’s DataTab emitted a pleasant two-tone, ‘twinkle’.
“Its magic, sir, what can I say.”
Again the captain’s mouth dropped as he enabled his device and saw a new, encrypted file had arrived.
“I’ve also just downloaded your copy of our official communiqué with the Galactic Council that you may include in correspondence to the children’s new guardians. Yes, sir, I know the procedures by heart. You see, we’ve been doing this for quite some time now.” Charli continued with an even bigger, impish, smile.
“By my estimates, replies should complete in two days given two or three systems still utilize the old subspace protocols. Relocation mission completion should take fifteen to seventeen days given no surprises.”
Serangetti’s mouth dropped open once more as he looked up from reviewing the new files on his DataTab!
“Fifteen to seventeen days? By Queen Libra! How fast can Pegasus go, My Ladies?”
“Two LY’s in zero-point-zero-four-four seconds, but she isn’t broken in yet. Still, she wasn’t even breathing hard, sir.” Simone answered proudly.
The captain winced momentarily.
“Would it be considered fashionable for their commanding officer to escort the Kits and Kittens to their new homes, High Priestess?”
“I think that would be a marvelous gesture, captain. What say you, Lady Kitty?” I asked.
“By the old ways of FeLane protocol, that is expected, M’lady. Clearance must be supplied by the Galactic Council then, and only after the Executive Officer has been briefed and confirmed agreement with sufficient coverage.” Sinae quoted Galactic regulations.
The Captain’s DataTab ‘twinkled’ again. He quickly opened and read the message.
“Galactic Council hereby grants permission to escort affected futures to their awaiting guardians and authorizes EFMC, NCC-53847B, Pegasus, official warrant for transportation.” The awe-struck Lynxin read before his DataTab again ‘twinkled’.
“My Ladies. Could you please excuse me? My mate demands an update. Apparently, she has just been contacted by the Galactic Council in regard to Mare’s recently rectified incident.”
“We’ll be onboard Pegasus until needed, Captain.” I announced as I removed the protection ward from the room and motioned my Coven sisters out. Lyra saw us leaving and hurried over.
“Are you leaving, High Priestess? Can I come along as promised?” She asked as she poured on the ‘sorrowful Kitten’ routine.
“We won’t be leaving for a few days, sweetie. Right now though, your Poppy is going to call your Momma and I think she might need to see that you are alright.”
“Okay. Um…is it alright to show her my tail, Lady Chance? Can Lady Kitty come with me?”
Sinae crouched down to the young Lynxin.
“I don’t think your mother is ready to see me, cousin. I’m sure she will be quite surprised by your restored tail though.”
“Okay.” The girl replied nonchalantly and ran into the conference room without another thought.
Once the door closed, I put a temporary ward on the room to give them privacy. It would dissipate once the room was empty.
 
 

Chapter 26


 
 
When we re-entered the hangar to board Pegasus, we were welcomed by a dozen or so wolf whistles and propositions from the hangar support staff- both the men and a few women.
The man I knew to be their supervisor approached.
“Ma’am? I’ve been instructed to refuel your ship. Um…I know this seems like a very stupid question, but…um…where’s the um…fueling port?” He asked with a deep blush to his cheeks.
Pegasus requires no fuel at this time…” I stopped to wait for his name and rank.
“Chief Reginold…um…ma’am. Um…what do you mean she doesn’t need fuel at this time? No ship is so efficient to come several LY’s and not need fuel.”
“Lady Simone?” I signaled with a wave and pointed to Reginold. “Fuel Status?”
Pegasus fuel reserve is stable at ninety-seven-point-nine percent, High Priestess.”
“Thank you, Lady Simone. Does that answer your very intuitive question, CPO Reginold?” I asked with a pleasant smile.
“Um…yes, ma’am…yer highness…ma’am. Um…is there anything else we can do for you…”
“CPO Reginold, you may call me ‘Lady Chance’. As well as Ladies Lokust, Chantell, Hope, Kitty, Artemis, Simone, and Charli.” I introduced as I pointed to each of my Coven sisters. “Thank you for your kind offer, but at the moment we require nothing further, if a need should arise, we shall not hesitate to alert you.”
“Very well then, Lady Chance and welcome once again to Mare de Tempest.” He said before nodding to us all and resuming his responsibilities.
 
 
“So now can we see our home away from home, Chance?” Lokust moaned just after our hatch was closed. “After seeing my quarters on base, I just can’t wait any longer.”
“If you want.” I giggled, realizing we hadn’t yet had a chance to ‘officially’ tour Pegasus.
“Do lead on, High Priestess!” Mom laughed.
“God, Hope! So we don’t call ya ‘High Priestess’ anymore! Get over it, girlfriend! Besides, if Chance gets ticked at you she may just turn you into a newt!” Chantell grumbled, but said the last part in some kind of strange, yet familiar, accent and register.
“Seriously, dear, I believe she could do that if you piss her off enough.” Charli cautioned.
“Hmmm.” I said as I put my thumb and finger to my chin. “I really haven’t tried to transmute a Terran before…maybe I should start out with something of relative size and work my way smaller?”
“Don’t be a ‘Horndog’, honey. We didn’t raise you that way.” Mom deadpanned as she broke out into laughter. Actually, we all broke out into laughter.
I wonder? I thought to myself for a moment. Could I actually do that?
Some feeling inside told me it was definitely possible.
I shivered at that thought!
I think Mom was the only one that noticed my contemplation and resultant reaction. She narrowed her eyes at me and grimaced before sighing heavily.
The first section we entered was accessed through a security hatch on the right side of the main passageway. This was actually the fifth time we passed it. A sign on the hatch warned of zero gravity in the adjacent area.
“Lady Chance Summers.” I stated as I bowed down to face a sensor panel. A beam of coherent, green light scanned my face and retinal capillary network once placing my right thumb onto the panel in a specially designed receptacle to power the device with my Current.
With a quick ‘click’ the lock opened and I opened the hatch prior to beginning my briefing.
“This is the access hatch to Broom or ‘Docking’ Ring 2. To access this hatch you must be Witch Corps personel and provide personal Current to power the reader. It is a complete facial, voice, and retinal scanner. To reach the Brooms docked to this ring, you use zero gravity and you’re magic. It makes for faster access and egress from your personal craft. Because of security only your personal craft will be available.” I instructed as I took a step through and floated there waiting for the others.
As we swan through the narrow, circular, ‘ring’, I pointed out my Coven sisters’ call signs on the entry hatches leading to their Brooms.
“Wow! Even the nose art! Chance? How could you have done all this?” Artemis swooned as she ran her hand over the intricately detailed artwork and her stylized call sign, ‘Huntress’.
“I know a little Current.” I teased.
Once back in the main passageway and normal gravity, I headed aft past the entry hatch stopping when we could go no farther. Again, I bowed down, powered up the device, stated my name and allowed it to scan me. Whereas the lock cleared before, this time I stood to the side and motioned for Simone to repeat the procedure. That granted us access.
“This is the engineering section. Environmental, Artificial Gravity Generators and Current Propulsion Systems. Two Coven members are required to access this compartment.” I said as I motioned us all inside.
Before us was the very different world of complex machinery- some, never before seen equipment!
“MOTH-er-PUCKER! How the hell you do this, girlfriend?” Chantell cursed in awe as she…they all stared!
“I’ve been in my share of engine rooms, but this…JEEZUSCHRIST!” Chantell managed to cry out as she gently took my arm to steady herself.
“I hope you don’t want me to fix this stuff, Chance. I wouldn’t know where to even start! I mean, I don’t think I’m even qualified to mop the deck in here!” Simone choked as she continued to stare.
“I based the design on your Science Ministry Master’s thesis, M’lady.” I said as I bowed to Simone. “So you are about the only person alive that can understand and perform maintenance on these systems.”
“My Master’s…” Simone paused as she caught up. “Chance, that was strictly a theoretical ‘what if’ kind of paper! If I haven’t told you yet, I was the laughing stock of my class! My professors thought it absurd at best or a complete joke- that I really didn’t want to earn my Master’s.”
“Two LY’s in just over four hundredths of a second? I wouldn’t call it theoretical, absurd, or a joke, would you, M’lady?” I asked as I again bowed to her.
“The Current Economizer,” I pointed to an inconspicuous piece of equipment off to our right, attached to a bulkhead support, “is identical to the one…”
“To the one I designed on a whim in my spare time while on our last deployment!” Dell cut me off sharply. “The thing really works?” She asked looking about ready to pass out!
“Yep! Sure does, M’lady.” I smiled and bowed to her too, before waving everyone out into the passageway. We headed forward.
Stopping at two opposing doors, I motioned to them. Both had the same type of nameplates our base utilized. Opening the one on our right, I nodded my head to the door. The plate said ‘H. Summers’ and ‘C. Armstrong’.
The compartment was furnished similarly to Mom and Dad’s quarters in our new base, but only contained a bedroom, clothes closet, and lavatory.
Across the passage, a similar plate denoting ‘Denison’ and ‘Gutteson-Redman’ held an identical setup with the exception of two queen-sized beds.
“Normally we have our own quarters, but for this mission we’ll be carrying the children so I had Pegasus do a temporary redesign to incorporate those two, twenty-occupant, Bunkrooms. Those are next on our tour.” I said as I motioned us to continue forward.
 
 
Pointing to a lone door on the left with a zero gravity warning on it, I explained that this was the hatch for Broom Ring 1. Instead of entering I continued on.
The next two staterooms were labeled ‘K. Sinae’ and ‘A. Dell’ on the right and ‘C. Summers’ and ‘L. Grunfuller’ on the left. Progressing forward, ahead of us was the security hatch to the Bridge and another door and security scanner on the wall off to its left. Strangely this door panel had no knob or actuating mechanism like the others.
As with the other security doors, I stated my name and positioned my face to be scanned. The door panel slid open to the left to reveal a small, closet-sized room. Once everyone was inside, I stated our destination.
“Lower level, please.”
The door slid closed and a few seconds later it reopened to reveal a short passageway fore and aft with a security door at each end. I led us forward.
This scanner also required two Coven members to access the next compartment.
“In here are our forward weapons systems, Active Camo equipment, Communications equipment, and Computational Intelligence. Pegasus’ AI is in here also.
“Hey! I recognize some of this equipment!” Charli announced excitedly as she walked over to a few pieces and began inspecting them.
“I too, recall this technology!” Kitty gasped as she turned to her right and examined a strange looking; oddly shaped container tucked away behind one of the starboard particle cannon breach controllers.
“You should. You designed it almost fifteen years ago.” I smiled. “Its directly addressable through the Pegasus AI. The interior of the ship is ‘fluid’ and can take on numerous floorplans. Isn’t that what you envisioned, Sinae?” I bowed to her respectfully.
“Now, about the Active Camouflage…”
“How you found that old design I’ll never figure, girlfriend! I don’t even remember where I laid them.” Chantell cut in.
“Actually you and Lokust have to share the accolades. While in the Science Ministry, Grub had dabbled in active camouflage systems…personal camouflage systems specifically.” I turned to her and smiled impishly. “Didn’t you once tell me it was your idea for gaining access to the women’s shower facilities?” I giggled.
“Access granted, dork!” Chantell laughed as she gave her Coven sister’s shoulder a light shove.
“You know what they say, dear. ‘Be careful what you wish for.” Mom joined in.
“Wouldn’t it be more like, ‘ask and you shall receive?’” Charli asked adding insult to Lokust’s injured psychy.
“That reminds me. I feel really gross. Hurry this tour up so I can get a shower!”
“Almost done, M’lady.” I said as we walked out of the forward equipment bay.
“This is our combination Recreation Room, Meeting Room, and Training Room. Luggage/Cargo Storage is further aft…for this mission anyway.” I announced as we entered the larger compartment. It had two noticeable indents of the outer walls- the aft broom ring near the back and the forward broom ring that split the compartment almost evenly. “There’s also a fully stocked galley. Now let’s head up to the observation deck.”
 
 
Everyone was silent as the lift’s door slid closed after I made the level request.
“So, we have an observati…” Lokust was about to ask as the elevator’s door slid open to reveal a large area with a transparent ceiling which, at the moment, revealed- by way of our close proximity to the hangar’s ceiling support structure- exactly how big Pegasus really was. The pointed noses of several of our Brooms were in view towards the rear.
“Relax! We had forty feet of clearance…at least!” Mom commented haughtily when all of us looked around to her in concern.
Around the downward curving walls of the room were low shelves filled with books and periodicals; some looked very old. Scattered around this deck were comfortable chairs and couches for relaxing while reading or stargazing.
Further aft was another security door. This one was finished in a rich, darkly stained, wood and had an old fashioned knob to open it. Strangely, it had a blank nameplate.
“Oops. I forgot the finishing touch.” I said as I pointed to the bright brass plate.
The name, ‘Serangetti’ mysteriously scrolled across it, making the etched name permanent.
“I didn’t know if the captain would be coming along.” I said as I actuated the security device and opened the door by turning the knob.
Through a narrowed office area- once again, allowance for Broom Ring 1- was another bedroom suite. This one had a large king-sized bed and a smaller, single bed that looked like a characterized, child’s version of the cockpit from one of our Brooms. I hoped Little Lyra liked it. Here, the ceiling was solid, but still curved on its outer edges to follow the ship’s contour.
“Aft of the beds is a closet and the lavatory. Behind that is the Engineering supply hold, access is only through Engineering. This concludes the tour of EFMC Pegasus. Any questions?” I asked patiently.
“May I be dismissed, M’lady? I really need a shower!”
“Of course, Lady Lokust.” I answered as I rolled my eyes. “Try not to go blind though, okay?”
More laughter ensued, but my Executive Officer either didn’t care or was ignoring us as she stepped into the elevator.
Mom grabbed my arm and quickly pulled me to her. As soon as her head touched my shoulder she burst into tears.
“Oh, Chance. My wonderful daughter, Chance! This is all so amazing! Never in my dreams did I even expect half of what I’ve witnessed these last few days! I just can’t believe you did all this! I’m…speechless!”
“Yeah, uh huh. I don’t believe that declaration for a minute, Hopewell! Never in the history of the Corps have you EVER been ‘speechless’!” Chantell antagonized.
“Oh, shut it, bitch!” Mom countered as she pulled back to wipe her eyes. “Can’t I have a moment with my girl?”
“I give two for you and your imaginative daughter, Major.”
“Really? You quote Khan, from the second movie? Arrrrgh!” Mom moaned as she leaned her head back and rolled her eyes at the ceiling.
“No worse than you jacking the Pegasus’ hull number from that old, online game!” Chantell snarked.
Pegasus? Please alert us when Captain Serangetti pages us. We’ll be staying onboard until he does. Also secure the entry hatch and enable exterior proximity sensors for external warning only.”
“As you wish, High Priestess. Will there be anything else?”
I looked around to my Covern sisters. We all looked worn out and in need of relaxation.
“Close the Observation ceiling and display the star field simulation for mid twenty-second century Earth, Northern Hemisphere, United States, Michigan, Detroit, during the Summer Solstice, please.
“As you wish, High Priestess.”
Immediately the ceiling above us went blank, the room darkened then a starlit night appeared above us.
“The chairs and couches recline if anyone feels the need to relax.” I told them as I magically changed my clothes to blue denim pants, dark blue t-shirt and dark blue deck shoes, picked a chair, reclined it, stretched out, and closed my eyes.
“Is there something that girl hasn’t thought of?” Charli whispered to Mom.
“If there is, let me know, M’lady. We can always add some smaller details.” I giggled.

up
208 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you

Thank you for another good episode.

Anne Margarete

Back to the beginning

WillowD's picture

Usually when I stumble across the latest chapter of an awesome story I read a few paragraphs, then go to chapter 1 and read from the beginning. This chapter was so good that I read the entire thing. NOW, I will go back and start from chapter 1.

Thanks for this awesome chapter.

And back to here

WillowD's picture

A mere 14 hours later I'm finished reading it from the beginning. And now I have to wait for the next chapter like everyone else.

What a great story.

Thank you for the new chapter

Thank you for the new chapter, this story always leaves me with a smile

Another great chapter here.

Another great chapter here. Chance and company are very fun to read about and I look very forward to the next chapter!

Friends in orange places

Jamie Lee's picture

When a person is polite, regardless of the form life takes, wonderful things can happen. Of course it doesn't hurt if that person may have gone past the first threshold to the point where the person can actually meet that orange life.

Several people have been laughed at over the years because of ideas or theories they held. What this shows is a lack of foresight by those laughing. The ideas or theories didn't conform to standard thinking so they had to be unbelievable.

In the case of the engine of the Pegasus, no one could comprehend the idea of using The Current as fuel, or that The Current was anything at all. Well, those fools were proven wrong by the time it took the Pegasus to travel 2vLY's.

Because of what the coven did for The Current, they will do anything the coven politely asks. This is Chance's real secret, her being polite when asking. Pity anyone who goes up against this coven as long as Chance is around.

Given her rapport with The Current, and their thankfulness to her, she probably could ask them to dismantle an attacking ship and they might do it. Or at least disable the ship.

Others have feelings too.

Wow

That’s a really cool ship are they gonna delete any reference to those thesis papers or restrict access to them to protect their ships technology. I love the ship it’s amazing I can’t wait to see the next chapter, I’m pretty sure Lokust and Simone are not gonna want to change back at the end of this. I’m wondering if Chance can make some more uniforms and lockets for more members, I’m also curious whether or not the Mare will get a magical overhaul too, since they lost half of the crew.

hugs :)
Michelle SidheElf Amaianna