Lost in the Mists of Time - Chapter 6

Printer-friendly version
Urquhart_(R._R._McIan).jpg


Lost in the Mists of Time – Chapter 6

I just removed my cloak fell into the bed which smelled like fresh straw and into a deep sleep……And now back to the story.

The morning arrived too early for my liking, and I could hear that people were up and going about their business as sound just seemed to echo throughout stone structure of Ardsheal. I was cold and I seemed to have covered myself with my cloak sometime during the night it did little to keep me warm. Glancing at the fireplace there were embers with a slight glow to them. I placed some wood that from the pile next to the fireplace and stoked it with the fire iron and soon brought some warmth back to room.

There was a soft knock at the door and then a woman I would guess at maybe mid 20’s entered. “Oh good, you are awake” she said. “I am Isabel Stewart, Charles’ wife. I was told by Andrew this morning that you arrived with just the clothes on your back. So I brought a few things I had from when I was younger and hopefully would fit, if not we can call up a seamstress from the village and have a few things made.”

“Lady Stewart you are being far more than kind, to treat me a complete stranger so.” I replied.

“Nonsense.” She said. “You are to call me Isabel, no titles are necessary you are a friend of Andrew’s so that almost makes you family.”

“Then you must call me Susan.” I replied

“Now I will leave you to change, and meet us in the hall which is just down the stair.” She said handing me a bundle of clothes, and then she hurried out the door closing it behind her.

I set the bundle down on the bed, started to sort through it, and try and figure out what I had and how to wear it, and do so quickly. Several pairs of woolen hose, “Well those are easy to figure out.” I said to myself. Two things that seem to be made of linen looked like nightgowns, then two things one was sort of beige color and the other was sort of greenish brown, they seemed to resemble corsets but not as stiff, I remembered how Moira at Pittodrie squeezed me into that corset and shuddered at thought of having to do that again. Then something that resembled two small sacks attached to a linen cord, I wondered what they were used for. Then four skirts or at least that is what they looked like two were of linen and lined with wool dyed a shade of blue the other a pale yellow the others were just linen or perhaps cotton
and were white. Then two dresses or at least again that was their appearance except that weren’t exactly they appeared to be a more like a long open robes there was a section that was slightly ornate pinned to each.

I cursed myself for not paying attention when Moira helped me dress in my rush to flee Pittodrie. In the past week to get here I have traveled and slept in what I had on without need to figure things out. I started to curse whomever or whatever had brought me here and stuck me in this form at least they could have supplied care and feeding instructions. I started picturing myself waking up in that circle of stones trying to manage hundreds of printed pages on the subject of being female and started to laugh at the absurdity of that. I laughed so hard I started to cry, then after a few sniffles I wiped my tears and decided to get on with what I had to do.

I had a jacket on so it seemed that would be the place to start and started to unbutton it there weren’t buttonholes just a loop of thread so the jacket came off easily. Next thing I guess would be the dress thing as it was the layer under the jacket I untied the laces then loosened them, and discovered that part of the dress behind the laces wasn’t attached so I removed that then struggled to try and get out of it. Just then there was a slight knock at the door. Still in the middle of trying to get undressed I said. “Come in.”

The door opened and there was a red haired young woman with a bowl and pitcher. “I am Seonaid (Jane) and Lady Stewart has assigned me to be your maid while you are here.” She said. “I brought a bowl and some water and drying cloths, should you wish to freshen up.” And then she placed the bowl and pitcher on the small table. Then proceeded to gather up the dress I was struggling to get out of from the hem and pulled it over my head, and then quickly proceeded to remove everything else until all that was left were the nightgown thing hose and shoes.
“Will you be changing your chemise and hose my lady?” She asked. “I suppose I should it has been some time since I have.” I answered. “Then I will wait outside for you to change your chemise before dressing you.” She replied and walked out of the room closing the door behind her.

Figuring I must get to it I pulled of the chemise and got a look at myself, well as much as I could, since there wasn’t a mirror. My complexion was almost what I would describe as creamy white and with no apparent blemishes, my breasts appeared large but then that could just be from my viewpoint, overall my body was slender including my arms and legs, although at the moment my legs were covered by woolen hose that reached about mid-thigh which were held in place by a silken ribbon. I pulled on a chemise from the bed, sat on the chair and pulled the hem of the chemise up bent over, unbuckled my shoes took those off, then untied the ribbon and removed the hose. Pulled on the blue hose and tied the ribbon around my legs just above the knee where they had been tied before.

I called to Seonaid and she came back in. Then she proceeded put the corset thing on me and asked. “How tight do you want your stays?” I replied “Not very tight as I am not sure what I will be doing today.” I replied. She then proceeded to pull the ribbons from behind me and seemed to tighten them from the bottom to the top and while it felt constricting it was far from unbearable. She handed me one the lighter skirt things and I guess I was to pull it on I stepped into it pulled it up and she tied it off at my waist.

She then rummaged through the pile of clothes until finding something that resembled a large cloth sausage and tied that around my waist followed by the cloth sack things which were also tied off at the waist.

She then took the heavier blue skirt pulled it over my head and tied it off at the waist in the front and at the back which left slits at the sides. Which I found out allowed me access to the little sacks tied around my waist creating pockets, she then pinned the ornate piece to my stays, then helped me into the dress which she pinned to the ornate piece. I stepped into my shoes and attempted to bend over to buckle them and found out I couldn’t bend that far due to the stays and so had to depend on her to buckle them and I made myself to be aware of that in the future.

“I will make sure your things are cleaned, and I will tidy up your room my lady.” Seonaid said.
“Thank you, but please do not go to much bother as you have been so helpful this morning.” I replied. She gave me a strange look as if I had made some major faux pas. “My Lady we forgot you kerchief.” Handing me the silken scarf I had been wearing before. I just wore it has I had before placing it around my neck and tucked the two long ends beneath my stays and adjusted it so my décolletage was covered. Left the room and proceeded to the great hall.

When I arrived everyone was seated around the table. Charles at the head and Isabel opposite him to his right was Ailean, next to him was Iain. Andrew was to his left next to Andrew was a young boy of about ten years old. I took the empty seat next to the young lad. Everyone seemed to be eating bowls of porridge while the table had bannocks, oat cakes, butter and honey. I helped myself to a bannock wedge with butter, it was rather course not at all like I remember my mother making but it was filling after having another piece. I was given some tea. There was little to no conversation at the table until everyone seemed to have their fill.

Once everyone had eaten and the table cleared. Charles began to speak. “Cousin, while you and Mistress Gordon are welcome, I think given the circumstances it would be best if you return to France. This will take some time to arrange. Now Ailean has informed me he has decided to seek a commission with the government and will be travelling to Fort William tomorrow.”

Ailean spoke next “It weighs heavy on me to don the uniform of the government, I think it best though, as I help the clan by keeping them informed of what I learn, and it helps you as well Andrew for I can also find out if they are actively searching for you and the Lady Gordon.”

Charles began to speak again “I won’t restrict you to Ardsheal, as I know Andrew you have a mission to accomplish, but I warn you to keep your movements to a minimum, as we don’t need the government paying attention to us, especially if what you have said comes to pass. If too much attention does come to pass Andrew, I will have to ask you to hide out in the cave until transportation to France arrives.”

He looked at me and continued. “Mistress Gordon, in order to explain your presence to the servants, and to others we are going to say you are Isabel’s spinster cousin, left homeless due to the death of your parents and an unloving brother. You were brought here by Andrew at our request, in order to for us to take you in and find you a husband.” Isabel spoke next. “I know being thought of as a spinster might be a bit vexing for you, but it will allow you some latitude in your movements. And perhaps we can come up with an idea to explain your spinsterhood as you are far too pretty to be unwed.”

As decisions had been made and roles to be played, I soon found myself thrusted into daily life at Ardsheal, for the most part I spent most of my time at Isabel’s side learning how to manage a large household; I got to know most of the servants by sight and became rather friendly with most. Andrew came and went as he pleased disappearing for a day or two, being very secretive about his coming and goings. We did learn by letter from Ailean, that indeed Andrew was being sought, although it appears I am not suspect in anything, our run in with the soldiers seems to have fallen on Andrew.

In my free time, I found myself roaming the grounds of Ardsheal and often found myself walking along the shore of Loch Linnhe.I soon took to riding Sidhe, learning I enjoyed the experience of horseback riding, although it met with much disdain as it wasn’t considered becoming of a lady. Which I decided was going to be the reason I was a “spinster” was having too much interest in manly things and being quite independent and I also thought personally it might cover any mistakes I might make. The idea seemed to delight Isabel for some reason. Soon the gossip amongst the servants was Lady Stewart’s cousin would never marry if she didn’t learn to be a lady.

So it became routine to follow Isabel around, I even started playing chess with Duncan, Charles and Isabel’s child and every bit his father’s son, although he wasn’t very pleased that a woman could win chess matches so easily but I give him credit he was gracious about it, while I thanked Bobby Fischer for writing a book that taught me how to play. My horseback rides became more frequent in the afternoon and would often be found riding until sunset. I was content. Well until about the start third week. The moon had started its final waxing phase and I was becoming quite apprehensive of my journey back to Cnoc an Tursachan Dubh.

I was also becoming irritated at the smallest of things, and could not put any cause to it. Poor Andrew drew most of my ire the following day, a simple observation of his caused me to be quite angry at him, with me complaining how he could come and go as he pleased and I was stuck at Ardsheal, it wasn’t the truth but I for some reason felt that way. Isabel for the most part was mostly sympathetic, as if she knew something I didn’t. When I went to my room that night. I found a small pile of linen cloths and wool on my bed. Seonaid helped me get undressed; I crawled into bed feeling miserable.

The following morning, I found out what was the cause was. I woke unusually early with a sticky feeling between my legs and found my chemise and my sheets stained with blood. While I rationally knew why, it wasn’t something I expecting or used too. I needed to figure out what to do. I got up stoked the fire for warmth, and removed my chemise. Poured some water in the bowl on the table and proceeded to wash my face under my arms and under my breasts and finally my vagina removing some of the blood.

I remembered the pile of cloth and wool. Now every child from the mid 2oth to the 21st century knew what tampons and sanitary napkins were for just from advertising alone, and I was no different. Figuring tampons couldn’t be made from what I had; I wrapped some wool in the middle of piece of the cloth then figured out three pieces of cloth would do as a belt I tied my “napkin” to my makeshift belt and felt rather proud of myself for being so ingenious and handing the situation logically. I reached into the chest pulled out hose, a clean chemise and what I wanted to wear. Dressed in what could by myself and waited for Seonaid.

I won’t go into great detail about the days that followed only to say it was a very uncomfortable and somewhat messy experience. I took it upon myself to work with the servants much to their surprise, to learn how to clean my linens which consisted of boiling, scrubbing and beating them to death. The bed sheets and chemises if they made it through the torture were ironed, if not they became rags for other uses including menstruation.

Having spent a miserable five days with my introduction to womanhood I returned to my normal routine. Isobel just acted as if things were normal, Andrew when I eventually saw him acted as if I was this fragile thing that needed to be handled gently. I apologized for my outburst, and left it as that without explanation. Just leaving him with the knowledge I didn’t need to be coddled.

I resumed my horseback riding enjoying the thrill and Sidhe seemed to be happy of being ridden again. As the week drew to a close, I looked to the night sky and realized I had maybe a day, then my reason for being put into this life would be revealed, and I was scared of the answer.
Andrew had left on one of his many secretive trips that morning. I spent my morning with my normal routine. When the afternoon came I was heading north through Kentallen on my way to Cnoc an Tursachan Dubh.

The full moon was nearly at its apex in the night sky as I made my way into the valley. Sidhe was patient with me as I steered him towards the hill that was in the middle of it. The top was shrouded in a thick impenetrable mist, and yet appeared that it had an unearthly glow as well. I searched for a way to the top and almost missed a concealed path that obviously led to the top.

I dismounted, and led Sidhe slowly up the path. About half way we encountered the mist and the way down was soon obscured from sight yet despite the thick mist I could clearly see the path before me. As we neared the top I heard the same voices as I had before, it sounded like hundreds of voices speaking at the same time. Sidhe became quite hesitant and quite skittish to go further I moved my hand to his bridle and comforted him speaking to him gently and we soon found ourselves at the top
.
The stones at the top formed a complete circle at the top, encompassing it entirely. While large and impressive they weren’t as massive as I remember Stonehenge being, but they appeared far older. Looking out past the stones I couldn’t see the surrounding hills or the valley floor, it looked like I was on an island sitting in an endless sea of mist. Entering the circle I released Sidhe’s bridle and he simply started to graze.The voices were louder now but it was almost like I was in a crowded room and everyone was speaking. I was more curious than afraid, but was worried that I had gotten myself into something I wasn’t capable of handling.

Suddenly the voices stopped, it was almost like I had interrupted a meeting that I wasn’t supposed to be at and wasn’t supposed to hear. Then in the center circle a glowing object appeared and slowly formed a human shape. It moved towards me and as it got closer. I could see a woman, words cannot express her ageless beauty, she was tall with long blonde hair eyes that were as blue as the sky and held wisdom far beyond mere mortals like myself. She was soon standing right in front of me. I was enraptured by this beautiful creature I would have done anything she asked, and that scared me. She reached out and touched my forehead with a finger and spoke.

“My child, do not be afraid you came because you have questions, and I along with others have the answers. Before we give answers to your questions let me tell you who and what I am. I am called Danu of the Aos-sidhe here, but I have been called by many names by you mortals in many places.”

“Aos-sidhe, the Faery folk?” I gasped. She gave me a motherly smile, as if I were a child that just discovered I could walk. “Yes my child here we are known as Faery, in other places we are gods and goddesses.” her form shifted and became a tall woman with dark hair and dark eyes dressed in flowing white robe. “In this form I am known as Hera by some or Juno by others, her form shifted again and became a slender woman with dusky colored skin. “In this one I am known by Isis in the ancient land of Khem” Her form shifted again and reverted to the unearthly beautiful blonde.

“We have many names and many forms and are responsible for many things, which is why we brought you to this time and in your present form.” She continued. “I can see you wonder why we chose you. We needed someone who would have much to lose if what we fear will come to pass.” She paused as if listening to someone. “While we have much more power than you mortals, we can only influence outcomes that would that are more beneficial to you; we try and sometimes that influence fails. However, we cannot act directly to change things. For that we need an agent.”

I was at a loss; I couldn’t even begin to come up a coherent thought about anything. I was just so overwhelmed by everything. Danu just smiled and placed her hand to my cheek. I felt so much love and concern radiating from that touch “Don’t worry child. I know that things are confusing and you have been told much you have trouble comprehending it. So I am going to explain and show you why you were brought here.” She took my hand. “Come with me.” She led me over to the center of the stone circle.

“In the not too distant future of your former self, you mortals will accomplish much through your science you will find solutions to things that even that we Fae have no control over. You mortals will discover cures for diseases that plague your kind. You will travel to the stars and discover others amongst them. However, one mortal from that distant future will discover how to view time, and even though we tried to influence that future discovery for strictly observation of it. We failed to do so, and he learned to travel through it.”

She paused again, as if she was having a conservation I couldn’t hear. She then continued. “He however did not give much thought of how his presence in the past would affect time. He assumed as an observer it would have little effect upon things, and mostly his observations had none. However, not all did. In the immediate future there will be a conflict upon this land, one you are very aware of but, you are unaware of the consequences should it not proceed as it should. We have brought you to this time before his arrival in order to stop his affect upon events.

In the near future he will arrive in the city of Paris in the land you call France while there he will meet a young mortal whom he will unintentionally due to an simple observation of events that are taking place; influence him to seek enlistment into the army of France. This young man will serve honorably and at a future battle in that year at Fontenoy he will kill the British general in command known as the Duke of Cumberland, with a musket shot. This Duke of Cumberland affects much, upon the coming conflict so his death must be nullified.”

She waved her hand in a sweeping gesture and said “Let me show you the consequences.”

And before us appeared images of a town “This is the town of Derby in England, and is farthest that the future conflict will get, if things go the way we want. However, because of the death of the Duke of Cumberland his additional army will not arrive from Fontenoy. The government forces are too far spread out, the chain of command is not unified. With this news the Stuart Prince will convince his generals to continue. He will win a few small battles, despite the condition of his forces. These victories will convince France to land an army to support the Stuart Prince. With this bolstering of his forces, the Stuart Prince will march into London to great fanfare by some and of some great concern to others.”

She waved her hand again. “Now we advance about 10 years France and Great Britain with James on the throne even after having converted to Anglicism to secure his throne, they are on good terms despite religious differences. War erupts in Europe again, between the counties of Prussia and Austria. France declares for Austria and with no Hanoverian on the throne, Great Britain does not declare for Prussia and stays out of the conflict by doing so there is no war in North America between France and Great Britain.

She waived her hand again. “Now we go forward a little further it is the year 1776. Charles Stuart has been king for 10 years, and since they did not get involved in the war there was no need for tax increases although there is some anger over the lack representation in their Parliament. Things in the North American continent are rather calm. Charles himself is just about to step off a British man o’ war in New York and become the first European monarch to visit the Americas. This simple visit will endear him to many American colonialists.”

She waved her hand and the images disappeared. “With no War of Independence, your country will not exist as it does now in your memory. Many technological advances will be slower because your country did not happen. See my child; this is only one possible outcome of many possible ones. But one constant is the America that you call home will not exist as it does now in your memory, in some outcomes it comes close but it never achieves what it will if we don’t stop what will happen. Because there will come a time that the mortals of this world will need to leave and some of the advances your country will develop won’t happen when they should. They won’t be able to leave if we allow this change. This is what you will lose and why we chose you.”

“I understand why am chosen, but why make me female to do this?” I asked.

She gave another motherly smile as if I was being a petulant child. “Do not let this form disturb you, in this time women are not given much thought, and can freely move about men mostly unnoticed unless they wish to draw attention to themselves. Most men in this time are also unaware that woman are capable of doing many of the same things they do. So a woman’s form was chosen to allow you move freely without expectations and yet be able to do what is needed. It was not intended to be a punishment. I can be either male or female as the need arises and yet I choose the female form as it is most pleasing of the two. In time I think you might find it so too.”

“I think I understand and hopefully I will succeed. What is it that I am required to do?” I sighed.

“As we cannot act directly the act falls to you. The traveler must be killed or incapacitated before he speaks to the young man, killing him will not affect the current time nor will it affect the future. The choice is yours. The young man will live an honorable life as a merchant and eventually will have a descendent that will affect the history of France so he cannot be harmed. So your act must come to fruition before their meeting. Now your questions have been answered it is time for you to go. But we have gifts to give you in order for you to succeed.” She took my hand lead me back to Sidhe.

She touched me on the forehead again saying “I Danu give you the knowledge of the nature of women, you will be able move and act as a woman you will know what you should know as a woman, without the fear of your true self giving you away.”

She stepped aside, and a man with bright reddish hair and beard appeared and touched me on the forehead. “I am Ogma, I give you gifts of eloquence and music, you will be able speak the tongue of the Franks and of the Gael. It will be as if you were born to speak them.” I also give you song, your voice will sooth the listener and could inspire many things depending on the song. Lastly I give the gift of the Clarsach (harp) you will be able play it and your pool of music and song will be vast, your music will bring joy it could also bring sorrow, it also can bring memories depending on what you play. Use these gifts wisely child. He just vanished.

Then another appeared before me another man, who was tall blonde hair, and just radiated love. He touched my forehead and said “I am Aonghus, god of love. I give you the gift of charm. No man or woman will deny you; all you have to do is ask. This is a dangerous gift use it carefully.” He too vanished.

Then a young woman appeared but she walked over to Sidhe. “I am Epona I give your horse the ability to always be able to find you should you be in danger, and he will always get you home. Then she hugged Sidhe. She smiled at me. “He has an appropriate name as he truly is now Fae.” Then she too vanished.

Then another man appeared clothed completely in chain mail and armed with many weapons. He touched my forehead and said. “I am Lugh the warrior. I give you the skills of a warrior, you will know the art of the blade, the pistol and dirk you will be better than any that oppose you. You will need weapons that match your skills. They will be given when the time is near.” Then he too vanished.

Then another woman appeared and touched my forehead. “I am Morrigan. I give you a gift of seeing. When the time is near, you will sense it. As the time grows closer you will be drawn to where. When the time is right you will see the traveler. Then she vanished.

Then an extremely large figure appeared and in a large jovial voice spoke “I am Dagda father of the Aos-Sidhe. We seldom ask mortals to do what we cannot and allow you mortals to learn from your mistakes. This mistake cannot go uncorrected as much is dependent on the outcome. So for your aid, I give you this purse it will always have the amount of coin you need in any situation. Then handed me a small silken bag embroidered with Celtic knots and swirls and then vanished
.
Danu approached me again saying. “So gifts have been given, questions asked and answered. We shall not see each other until these events that will happen are finished and we are certain that events will proceed as they are meant to. You will have to see all these events to their end. Only then can we see to return you home. This journey could bring you joy or perhaps even sorrow, but that is for you to decide. Now child it is time for you to go.” She touched my forehead and vanished.

Feeling a bit stunned and a bit confused I gathered Sidhe’s reins and led him down the path into the mist. The descent seemed longer than the approach, I just put that to all these new thoughts swirling in my mind. Much to my surprise when we left the mist I found us not at the foot of the hill but in front of Ardsheal.

up
65 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Thank you!

I have very much enjoyed this story to date. I have some idea of the time and emotional cost of writing for others, and deeply appreciate the gift of all those like yourself who make effort to past on this site. This is a very good story by any standards, and I am impressed that it is your first that you have posted. Please continue!

Thank you

Fiona K's picture

For your kind words. It is nice to hear that you are enjoying it.

"The things that make me different are the things that make me." - A.A. Milne
"Nothing happens until the pain of remaing the same, outweighs the pain of change." - Arthur Burt

Thank you,

I ave very much enjoyed this story so far. I have some idea of tne time and emotional costs of posting stories for others, and deeply appreciate all those who, like yourself, make the effort to so. This is a good story by any standard, and I am quite impressed that it is the first you have posted!

Thank you Fiona for finding

Thank you Fiona for finding the time to continue this epic tale!
Things are starting to get interesting now as we your readers and our heroine start to understand the reason for what has gone before! I’m starting to wonder how exactly will our heroine get back home after her task has been fulfilled, will she have to live out her life in this era to its conclusion before being returned to her previous life, or will she be returned immediately on concluding her task?
Looking forward to the next exciting episode.

Tom

Thank You

Fiona K's picture

I should be thanking you though. If you hadn't asked about it would have been left where it was. But at the moment since I can't find work. (being 65, trans, and in a pandemic and living in Florida seems to narrow openings) I have come to enjoy writing it. Chapter 7 is about 25% done But a lot of research to do . Glad you enjoyed the latest installment.

"The things that make me different are the things that make me." - A.A. Milne
"Nothing happens until the pain of remaing the same, outweighs the pain of change." - Arthur Burt