Polly Chapter 19 of 25 - A Day Off For Sisters

Printer-friendly version
19.jpg
 
Chapter 19 - A Day Off for Sisters

"What the f…" Polly cut herself off before she could finish, this trying to be a girl thing was starting to be automatic.

"Oh crap!" groaned Sheila. "I forgot to turn the alarm off."

"Then kill the noisy thing before I do."

Groping toward her phone she stabbed at it until it stopped making that awful racket.

Rolling over, Polly felt her glued-on breast forms make contact with Sheila's back, then settled her hand around Sheila's nicely real breast and drifted back to sleep.

An hour or so later they roused and another of Polly's appendages - one in distinct contrast to her breasts - pressed into her bedmate and they started their day with some slow, pleasant loving.

When they were again coherent, they raced to the bathroom, Polly smugly reaching the toilet first. Undaunted, Sheila started the shower and waited a minute for the hot water, then combined two pressing tasks with a sigh of relief. Hey - it all goes to the same place.

"Think we can get ready fast enough to make breakfast, lover?" asked Sheila.

"If I channel Pete I can be ready in five minutes. There are advantages to this dual nature, you know."

"And I certainly appreciate the advantage you showed a few minutes ago."

"I certainly won't have to worry about a gallant reflex giving me away after that, you sexy woman."

"There are advantages to having you in my bed, once I got used to not sleeping solo."

"And I'll be glad to take advantage of you any time."

"Get dressed or we'll miss breakfast. I want to show you Proxy Falls, and that means hiking. No pantyhose today, good hiking boots and socks."

"Can I still wear a skirt?"

"You're addicted, you fool. That flowered one would be good."

"And the pink blouse?"

"You just want to wear that pink bra again, don't you?"

"It's special. The first bra I owned that fit right."

"I'll do your hair if you do mine."

"Deal!"

 

Technically, they did reach the dining before it closed at 9AM. 8:59:30 is before nine, but Rosemary wasn't buying it.

"Well la-te-dah! I suppose you two think your shit-eating grins will inspire me serve you two bounders breakfast?"

"Is that any way to speak to a guest?"

"You guys are the help. The help eats in the kitchen, varlets."

"My, my. You must have been up all night reading some medieval potboiler. Varlets, forsooth!"

"I have been communing with the Bard of Avon, you literary lowlifes."

"Going to be producing Shakespeare In The Woods any time soon?"

"Why? You want to play Juliet, Polly?"

"I guess I'm uniquely qualified for the part both in Shakespeare's time and the present, aren't I?"

"Jeez! You shake your spear around me and I'll lop it off."

"You even think about it and I'll borrow Mercutio's sword and you'd be in big trouble." warned Sheila.

"She's borrowed my tits, so why not have you borrow a sword. Just keep it away from my tits, you hear? Get thee to the kitchen, fair maids. I have work to do!"

 

Russ gladly fed them and provided a picnic lunch for their adventures. With the air redolent of baking bread, Polly got a faraway look on her face as she inhaled deeply

"Oh, I wish I could bake bread like you do, Russ. It smells so heavenly and tastes even better."

"Then come to the kitchen when you finish your morning chores tomorrow and I'll teach you."

"Would you really?"

"Of course, it's not like it's an old family secret recipe that has to be guarded and passed down from father to son."

"That's a good thing as I wouldn't qualify."

"And here I am being a sexist. From parent to child works better."

"I still don't qualify, as much as I wouldn't mind having you as my dad, Daddy Russ."

"I love it when you call me that. A lovely daughter and I didn't have to change her diapers or put up with her as a teenager. What could be better?"

"I'm still eighteen, Daddy Russ. You aren't out of the woods yet."

"And if I were out of the woods I couldn't charge the tourists the ridiculous price I charge to have them stay here. I like being in the woods!"

"You win either way, don't you Daddy?"

"You betcha!"

Thanking Rosemary for the loan of her car they set off. As the door closed, Russ turned to Rosemary and said "They're a couple, aren't they my Little Rose?"

"I'm not so little any more, Unc."

"My Rosalie is the biggest rose in my life, so you shall remain forevermore my Little Rose. You avoided the question, my Little Rose."

"Can't fool you, can I? Yeah, they're a couple. A couple of whats I'm not sure, but whatever they've got together, it works."

"Ah, to be young and in love again. The priests may not agree, but how can such love be wrong when they are so obviously meant for each other? They try not to show it, but love is hard to disguise."

"After some of the crap Sheila pulled when we were kids I was sure that she was going to get into another meatheaded relationship and screw up her life again. They're second cousins, you know."

"All in the family, eh? You're too young to have watched All In The Family, but The Meathead was the character that tried to inject a little sanity into the chaos."

"It's their story to tell, Unc, but there's enough chaos involved to keep some theoretical physicist busy for years and years."

"They're doing a good job here, Polly knows how to make the customers happy now that she's relaxed a bit. I think she was scared to be serving at first, but she's learned quickly."

"You don't know the half of it, Unc, she had her reasons. I was skeptical, but Sheila's my best friend and she was sure Polly would be good at the job."

"She was right. Sometimes you have to trust your gut. I did so when she and Sheila came down for the interview and my gut said 'hire her.' "

"With your gut that's a lot of approval."

"Get out of here piccolo, get to work and stop with the body shaming."

"Why Unc, you'll blow your Old World image if you start spouting modern jargon."

"Out!"

 

Meanwhile, Sheila and Polly headed for Route 242 toward the town of Sisters. Negotiating the uphill twists and turns, it didn't take Sheila long to ask "Remind you of anything, Polly?"

"Looks like you want to relive our first date."

"I'd rather live with you, I don't want to have to take you home when we're done with the date."

"Since we call the same place home these days, I guess you'd have to take me to a motel."

"Smartass."

"At least we don't have to watch out for logging trucks since this is a forest preserve."

"And we can ignore all those signs about chains and snow since this is summer."

Conversation sort of died down as Sheila needed all her concentration to negotiate the twists and turns in the road. Eventually they came to a trailhead for Proxy Falls.

"Looks like we weren't the only ones with this idea," Polly observed as she took in the many cars parked at the trailhead."

"Can't say I blame them for being here. Ready for a hike?"

"Lead on, my love."

Each taking a stout walking stick borrowed from the hotel, they set off into the woods. There was no doubt that these mountains were volcanic in nature, the forest was littered with black volcanic rocks liberally covered with lichen and moss.

Forest Rocks.jpg

Despite it being a warm summer's day, the woods were cool and fragrant as the two hikers made their way along the trail. Every so often they would meet other hikers returning along the trail and exchanged friendly waves and smiles in passing. Polly did notice that she was about the only woman wearing a skirt, but it was very comfortable and didn't interfere with her walking in the slightest.

Glowing with the joyful exercise they came to the first of the two falls on the trail, pausing to drink in the beauty of nature.

Proxy 1.jpg

Finding a convenient bench along the trail, the two rested for a bit and contemplated the beauties of nature.

"Somehow I don't regret missing Scout Camp for a summer job when we come to places like this," observed Polly.

"It is beautiful, isn't it."

"Almost as beautiful as you."

"Whoa! Just keep that up and you might get kissed."

"My love is as beautiful as a summer's day -"

The rest was smothered as Polly's mouth was busy with things other than speech, no matter how romantic.

"Careful, my lipstick is back in the car."

"Who cares? I have a tissue. Hold still."

Sheila dabbed some errant color from Polly's face.

"My turn," said Polly, who returned the favor. "You know, I think I've just realized something."

"And…"

"Beautiful places like this let you slow down and think. We've been pretty busy the last couple of weeks, not that I'm complaining. Working at the hotel is fun, I love the people and the way everyone pitches in to make it all work."

"I have to say I'm amazed at just how well you've fit in. Don't get mad, but there's still a bit of the wild woman in me that was wondering if you would fall flat on your face trying to be a woman."

"You weren't the only one! And since I've learned about your alleged sense of humor I won't get mad."

"I have to say you look damned comfortable as a maid."

"Every crossdresser's fantasy, you know. Except it's usually in a sexy, frilly outfit in a mansion somewhere."

"Maybe Rosie's family will need some extra help."

"That isn't one of my fantasies. I think I'm living my fantasy right now."

"And you like being a woman most of the time."

"That's just it! I think I've figured out that I don't want to be all-woman or all-man. I have a hard time buying this 'men's work - women's work' stuff. A job's a job no matter what your plumbing. I like girl's clothes, I love wearing a bra and almost wish I had real breasts to put in it. But I like being a Scout, I want to be a father someday, Right now I don't want to have to choose one or the other. I like both!"

"So why not have it all? It's your life."

"Great idea. Tell me how to do it. Just go home and say 'Hey pops - I'm gonna be a girl today.'?"

"You could become an actress and specialize in British farces. That might work."

"You're full of good ideas today."

"Sounds like you need to talk to a councilor. This isn't going to be just a summer's lark, is it?"

"I don't think so. So now I go home and say 'Hey pops - I need to see a shrink because I want to be a girl'?"

"Well, the plan needs a little more development."

"Too bad I couldn't have a little more development in certain places."

"I'll e-mail Tit-Tanya when we get back."

"Fairies do e-mail?"

"Got to keep up with the times, you know."

"Speaking of time, we should get moving."

"We'll find some way to let you be who you want to be, somehow."

"We?"

"I don't abandon friends."

"Thanks. That means a lot."

"You mean a lot to me, Polly. And you, too Pete."

With that they set off down the trail once again until they reached the second waterfall.

Proxy 2.jpg

Despite the serenity of the scene, Sheila started to laugh.

"And what's so funny about a waterfall?" asked Polly

"Not the waterfall, the trees."

"And we haven't been walking through trees to get here?"

"Not the ones standing up, the ones lying down. I just wondered if you had an urge to chop down a few trees like the guys in that silly song you taught me."

"The only thing sharp I could muster is a cutting remark. Besides, I can't come home and change into women's clothing because I'm already wearing women's clothing."

"And how does it feel, lover?"

"Other than my bra itching a bit it feels wonderful."

"It's nice that it's a bit cooler in the woods, I just hate it when the sweat drips down between my breasts on a hot summer day. I wonder how you'll feel when it warms up and you have those things glued to your chest."

"I'll call on my manly side to suck it up and be a woman."

"That doesn't make any sense!"

"As if spending the summer as a woman is sensible?"

"It's different, anyway. You're with me and that's what counts."

"You're a sensible woman, my dear."

If any of the other hikers wondered why they could hear The Lumberjack Song in duet floating among the trees, they were to remain forever in suspense.

 

Glowing from their hike, Sheila continued driving up the winding mountain road with a smile on her face.

"Ready for your surprise?"

"Living with you I've come to expect them."

"Not that much further, lover."

In a very short time the road emerged from the forest to pass through vast fields of jumbled, black volcanic rocks."

"Whoah! Where did that come from?" exclaimed Polly.

"A volcano, silly."

"That's igneous rock just like they taught us in science class, but it just started at the edge of the forest and keeps on going!"

Rocks.jpg

"I suppose even a volcanic eruption has to end somewhere. It just happens it ended at those trees."

"I had no idea this was here!"

"I didn't either until Rosie showed me last year. Remember the hot springs that feed the hotel pool? That comes from magma under the ground and that means volcanoes."

"Like Mount Saint Helen's. Mom and dad were little kids when it blew up and they say it was spectacular."

"Yeah, except this happened umpty-thousand years ago and not much is growing on it yet."

"I've got to take pictures of this to send Mom and Dad."

"Wait a little more, the best is yet to come when we hit the Observatory."

"Like we can't observe all these rocks right now?"

"Smartass. Don't get your panties in a twist. I wouldn't want you to damage anything you keep inside them."

"Me either! Dee Wright Observatory ahead. Is that what you're talking about?"

"You're pretty observant yourself."

"Smartass yourself!"

Even if the Observatory weren't so prominent, they would have known there was something to stop for by all the cars parked along the road. Finding an open space, Sheila parked and they got out.

Dee Wright Observatory.jpg

Naturally they had to follow the winding path to the top, where they could see Mt. Washington and Mt. Jefferson to the North and the North and Middle Sister Mountains to the South. Since the day was clear, they could even see Mt. Hood, almost eighty miles away.

"This is so cool!" exclaimed Polly.

"Like your surprise?"

"I can hardly wait for Christmas if you're this good at surprises."

"No hints, sweetie. Aren't you glad I told you to wear hiking boots even if they look a bit strange with a skirt?"

"I trust my fashion adviser implicitly. Except when it comes to pantyhose. They may work for you but I hate them. I still want to buy some stockings when we get to town."

"If anybody still carries them."

"I still want to look."

"And so we shall. I suppose it might be kinky if you kept them on while we made love."

"Another excellent reason to try to find some."

"Good luck, Polly."

 

After a morning of fun exploring the area, Polly was soon to learn what the denizens of most rural areas know only too well: Everything you want is a couple of hours drive away. If it's any closer it costs ten times as much as it would in a larger town.

After a fruitless search for stockings in the town of Sisters, which seemed to be a tourist town much like Canon Beach only bigger, the ladies ate their picnic in the town park and drove on to Bend. Bend was the Big City, if you define the Big City as any place large enough to have a Costco and a WalMart.

There Polly's quest was rewarded, but she about expired of apoplexy on seeing just how much stockings cost. It was enough to make Polly reconsider how much she wanted to be a woman, they were that expensive. When her breathing returned to normal she did what any modern teen would do, she got out her phone and checked Amazon. Not much joy there, either. In fact, it seemed that the only stockings available were designed to be sexy enough for seduction, not made for everyday use by a working woman. At those prices she would put up with pantyhose, so she stocked up as long as she was there, as did Sheila.

"These things have got to be a male-dominated, sexist conspiracy, that's what I think!" Polly grumbled as they exited the store.

"See why I prefer trainers and socks. Socks last forever, pantyhose shred if you look at them wrong."

"We need to talk to Rose about the whole idea. Now that I know how expensive these things are they don't seem so desirable as they did before I had to buy them!"

"And you thought being a woman was all love and roses."

"Yeah, I suppose I did. I'm starting to grow up and learn the truth."

"Just don't grow up too much or you won't be able to pull off being Polly."

"And that's another thing! I never realized how lucky I was to only have to just shave my chin a couple of times a week. Now I spend hours shaving legs and pits and whatever."

"Welcome to the fair maiden's side of the divide, Polly. The grass is always greener and all that horseshit. Quit bitching and let's go window shopping,"

"Sounds good to me."

And so they did. You don't need a blow-by-blow of their afternoon, but they enjoyed a nice meal at an interesting restaurant and made their way over the mountain before it got dark. All in all, a great day off for the both of them.

up
132 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Love the trail

Lucy Perkins's picture

As an outdoor girl myself I love this chapter. The description of their walk is lovely but I really enjoyed your pictures. Reminded this English Rose of parts of Snowdonia that we have hiked many times.
Great character development of Polly too. A very difficult choice ahead,and from my experience trying to have it all is not that easy.
Lucy xxx

"Lately it occurs to me..
what a long strange trip its been."

Sticker shock

Jamie Lee's picture

The prices that floored Polly are only the tip of the iceberg. If she thought the price for stockings was over the top then she'll absolutely die when she sees prices for some dresses and makeup. And some under garments. And gowns and nighties.

Maybe she needs to take heart medication with her when they do some serious shopping.

Others have feelings too.

I was living

in Utah when Mt. St. Helens blew, and even though we were several hundred miles away, we were covered in ash.