Cassandra - Chapter 7

Printer-friendly version

Cassandra Pers Title.jpg


A family spiralling out of control.
A child forced to grow up too fast.
Is there any room left for a young girl to find herself?


Book One - ‘Survival’
Chapter 7 - Escape Velocity

 



Author's Note: This chapter marks the completion of 'Survival’, Part One of Cassandra’s story. Her life, and her world, is about to change dramatically, perhaps giving her a chance to find herself in Part Two of her journey, ‘Childhood’.

As ever please be tolerant of my failings, and forthright with your criticism. ~Persephone

Current Score: US Readers 8 – 2 UK Author


Photo by  Christopher Campbell on Unsplash
© Persephone 2019

~o~O~o~

After the cathartic release of that evening, Carl found it increasingly hard to keep Cassandra hidden and his mask in place. Hiding it from his father and brothers was simple. He just continued to avoid speaking to them a word more than he had to. It was Kath and Aunt Megan who had started to give him the occasional odd glance when Cassandra’s happiness bubbled past his defenses. Fortunately, Aunt Megan now only came around every other weekend, and Carl was busy enough with school and swimming that he could keep a tight enough hold on his emotions so that questions weren’t, yet, being asked.

Carl did think very hard about telling Aunt Megan everything, and seeing if he and Kath could go live with her, but he realized that Dad would almost certainly fight that. Dad wouldn’t be able to sit back and let two of his children walk out, telling the world what a lousy father he was, no matter the truth of it. Carl couldn’t allow Aunt Megan or Kath be exposed to that sort of fight.

Over the Spring Break Carl also found the time to research Kenneport Mineral and Mining; and what he discovered was ‘interesting’.

Whilst the Oregon site wasn’t yet up and running, KM&M had a number of similar operations in Alaska, Canada and New Mexico. The chat rooms that Carl was able to find and join yielded a trove of information from disgruntled former workers. The company might pay well, but they clawed as much back through the concessions and on site facilities as humanly possible. If a worker ate in the cafeteria, enjoyed a few beers at the weekend and let the company accountants do their tax filing, then they’d be lucky to clear twenty two or twenty three thousand dollars a year. The other big issue was the bunkhouses. Whilst they were large, well built and sturdy, the interiors were spartan to say the least. The sleeping accommodation was a single dormitory upstairs with an open shower and toilet area at the end. A number of former workers even went so far as to recommend that any new team turn up a month early and spend the time putting in partition walls, decent floor coverings, curtains and the like.

‘It may cost a bit up front son,’ one former team boss advised Carl, ‘but you’ll truly regret not doing it when you’re two years into a three year contract, and ready to tear the throats out of guys who had been your best buds all the way through High School.’

Carl didn’t stop there. After finding the location of the new facility he worked out the nearby towns and shopping facilities and calculated budgets if the guys did their own catering, rather than eat in the facilities.

The next time Michael came home on a weekend pass he was hit with an inch-thick folder of research and suggestions.

“…so you could each save an extra seven to eight thousand dollars a year, leaving you with as much as a hundred thousand towards your college fund at the end of three years.” Carl concluded the presentation.

“Hoo..wee! Li’l Cass does it again!” Peter chortled as Michael closed his mouth with an audible click. The guys had agreed on ‘Cass’ as a safe compromise between Carl and Cassandra, which could also be easily explained away as a nickname.

“Some of the older team bosses bring their wives along to do the cooking and all, for a slice of the contract. So I’ve built in a budget of a thousand a month for the team to hire someone to come round at the weekends, clean up and such.” Cassie added, “I don’t know if you’d find anyone local though. The site is nearly an hour from the nearest town.”

Eventually Michael got himself together as he leafed through the folder. “You’ve seriously outdone yourself here Cass. Budgets, nearest shopping facilities, set up costs. You’ve even included the chat logs with those old timers.” He added in amazement.

Cassie shrugged, embarrassed. “I just wanted to help.”

“So, any other news?” Charlie changed the subject as he could see Cassie was uncomfortable with the praise.

“The jocks aren’t mouthing off as much around Kath and I, since I had that go at my dad.” Cassie wasn’t going to mention her hidden surveillance system and, to be truthful, she really didn’t have the time to monitor it much nowadays. “Sean is becoming a pain again, now his rehab and counselling is over. He’s spending all his time hanging with Jimmy and sucking up to the team, but he still likes getting the odd jab in.”

Michael frowned. “How do you mean?”

“Just little stuff you know? Comments about being a runt, or how my hair is nice and silky. Thanking ‘the girls’ for cooking a nice dinner. He doesn’t push it too far nowadays since Dad made him come to my last grading exam at the dojo.” Cassie smirked.

“Oooh! There’s a story here!” Peter called out. “Out with it!”

“Uhh, it was kind of funny really. I was up against this big guy, must have been a Sophomore or Junior from a dojo over in Long Beach. The klutz was so hyped up he forgot his footwork, so I took him down with a leg sweep,” Cassie grinned wolfishly, “then finished him off with a heel strike to the groin as he bounced on the mat. Must have taken me all of, oh… four, five seconds.”

“Respect Chica!” Peter laughed as he offered a fist bump, although, for some reason, all three of the guys decided to cross their legs.

~o~O~o~

As in previous years, Carl and Kath’s schools finished a week before Oak Vale High School, so Aunt Megan had invited the two of them to come and spend a few days with her.

“Brian, do you really want these two alone in the house, and possibly getting up to mischief, while you’re at work and the two older boys are still in school?” She’d asked Dad. “It will be nice for me to have some company during the week for a change, and it will be a bit of a treat for them. We’ll go on Saturday after these two get back from Kung Fu. And I’ll have them home the following Thursday evening.”

Dad had wavered for a bit until she added, “and of course we’ll leave some pot roasts and pies in the freezer. All you’ll have to do is get them out to defrost in the morning, then pop them in the oven for an hour when you’re ready to eat.”

‘Jeez, way to go Dad!’ Cassie thought to herself bitterly when her father finally agreed. ‘Your stomach is more important than Kath and I.’

The last week of Middle School rushed up on Cassie. She had enjoyed her final year there without Sean or Jimmy. She guessed it would be back to being ‘one of those McCarricks’ again as soon as she arrived at Oak Vale High.

Gail had also pulled Carl to one side as they headed for the cafeteria during the last week of the semester.

“Carl, I’m so sorry!” She blubbed into Carl’s shoulder as soon as they got outside. “I didn’t know until Dad told me last night.”

“It’s okay Gail. We’ll make it okay.” Cassie hugged her until the initial flood of tears had abated. “So what did your Dad tell you last night?”

“I’ve got to go to a Lutheran school over in Long Beach. He’s got me registered for next semester. I won’t be at Oak Vale!” The tears returned in a torrent and Cassie spent the rest of lunch break comforting a distraught Gail.

When she got back to the house that afternoon Cassie was in a melancholy mood and wasn’t prepared to take any bull from anyone.

“Hey son. What’s with the long face?” Dad poked his head round the door as Cassie was putting chops onto the broiler.

“Gail’s going to a different High School next year.”

Dad immediately managed to demonstrate just how insensitive a guy could be. “Don’t worry son, there’s plenty more fish in the sea.” He boomed cheerily, just as Sean wandered in to grab a soda.

“The Runt got dumped!” He chortled. “Always knew she was only hanging with him for help with her homework. Couldn’t have been for his looks or scrawny little carcass. Hell, she’s probably already found herself a real guy, and moved schools to get away from the Runt.”

If Dad and Kath hadn’t been there Sean would have been wearing the chops. As it was Cassie reined herself back with difficulty. It didn’t stop her tongue though.

“So Dog breath, you still not found a girlfriend yet? Or are you still too busy hanging around the boy’s locker room?” She sneered.

Suddenly Sean was incandescent with rage and lunged for Cassie. “I’ll fuckin’ kill you, you hairless little freak. No one calls me a fag. I’m gonna cut your balls off!” He screamed.

Dad was caught off guard and only managed to get a hold of Sean’s collar as the boy snatched up a fork from the table, stabbing it at Cassie’s face. Cassie skipped back out of range while Dad wrestled desperately to subdue his middle son.

“Enough!” He bellowed, shaking Sean by the collar while Cassie moved to shield Kath. “There’s no queers in this house! If there were I’d kill them myself!” He yelled.

At that Sean went limp in his father’s grip.

“Carl! Don’t ever let me catch you baiting your brother like that again! You hear me?”

Shocked by her father’s anger, Cassie could only nod.

“Answer me!” He demanded.

“Uh, yes Dad.”

“Sean, you looking for a trip to Juvie? ‘Cause if you are I’ll throw you in there myself. I’ve had enough with you being a junkie already. You touch your brother and I’ll drag you down the station so fast your feet won’t touch the ground.” He gave Sean a final shake. “Now both of you, apologize.”

Cassie clenched her teeth before squeezing out. “Sorry Dad, sorry Sean.”

“Yeah, sorry Dad.”

Dad waited for a moment before giving another shake. “And?”

“Sorry Carl.”

Dad glared at Carl and Kath. “You two, finish up getting dinner fixed.” He then released Sean with a final shake. “You, get out of my sight ’til dinner.”

When the kitchen door swung closed Cassie let out a sigh of relief before turning to hug a stunned Kath. “I’m so sorry Munchkin. I should have kept my temper rather than let him get to me.”

“Was he really going to try and hurt you?”

Cassie gave a weak chuckle. “Well, he’d have tried.”

“Carl, I think it’s getting real close to Aunt Megan’s ‘not straightening out’ now.”

“Don’t worry Munchkin. I’m watching it. In two days we’ll be staying with her for a week. Give everyone a chance to calm down.”

After a strained and silent dinner, Cassie went down into the cellar work room for the rest of the evening. Despite what she had said to Kath, she could sense that things were coming to a head and wanted to be prepared. The end of school, and Saturday afternoon, couldn’t come quickly enough.

~o~O~o~

“You two got everything?” Aunt Megan asked, as she bundled the two of them into her compact.

“Yep. Loaded and ready to roll Aunty!” Kath bounced in the front seat.

“Carl?”

“More than ready Aunty. I’ll be seriously glad to see the back of this place for a few days.”

“Me too,” chimed in Kath. “If it wasn’t Sean being an obnoxious toad after Thursday, it was Jimmy and the Neanderthals huddled round and plotting something.”

Cassie’s ears perked at that. “Huh? I missed that. What did you hear Munchkin?”

Kath pouted. “I’m not sure. They kept on looking around and whispering whenever I was in the room. All I heard was something about a last chance to get a lesson in before the vacation. I thought those doofuses wanted to get out of lessons, not do more.” She complained.

Cassie was already pulling her phone out. Michael’s phone went to voice mail. “Michael, it’s Ca..rl. The squad may be setting something up for Charlie before the vacation. They need to be super careful. Kath and I are away ’til Thursday night, so won’t find anything new ’til then.” She repeated the message to both Charlie and Peter’s ‘phones before sitting back with a huff.

“Are you going to tell me what that’s all about young man?” Aunt Megan asked.

It was Kath who explained however. “Aunty, you know about all the football players camping out at our place all the time? Well, they’ve got a serious thing against Charlie. So, sometimes they talk about getting him. Anyway, Carl and I sort of listen in when we can, and tip off Charlie and Peter with what we hear. The doofuses are getting real frustrated that they never catch Charlie, and have no idea why.” She giggled.

Aunt Megan frowned. “That’s a dangerous game you two are playing. If they even suspect…”

“You’re right Aunty, even though we are super careful.” Cassie agreed, then paused for a moment. “I think we are getting real close to your ‘not straightened out’ rules. Especially after last Thursday.”

“Well let’s talk about it over dinner.” Aunt Megan decided. “I still owe you two a return trip to Lupita’s.”

For the first time in months Cassie truly relaxed. She knew that the respite was temporary, and that she still had to be careful around Kath and Aunt Megan, but the oppressive fear was gone. On one of the few times Michael had really talked about his experiences in the Sandbox, he had mentioned how mentally and emotionally draining being on the alert all the time had been. Always watching, constantly checking out for anything different; aware that, at any moment, the situation could explode into violence. Now that she was away from the house, Cassie realized that was exactly how she had been feeling.

So it was with a light heart that she, Kath and Aunt Megan discussed outings for the next few days; putting from their minds how they were going to cope with the rest of the summer vacation. There was time enough for that when they returned to Harbor City.

On Wednesday, Cassie’s ‘phone rang.

All three of them were busy in the kitchen getting lunch when the awful Japanese McDonald ad music started playing.

“Caarrrl.” Kath complained. “When are you going to change that ring tone? It’s hideous!”

She snickered. “When it stops annoying Sean.”

“Well he’s not here, so make it stop!”

Cassie finished wiping her hands and grabbed the offending item. “Hi, this is Carl.” She chirped.

“Cass? They got him.”

“Michael? What? Who? Who got him? What happened?” She asked, heading for the quiet of the living room.

“Charlie. The bastards got Charlie. Last night he was waiting to meet up with Peter uptown when they jumped him.”

Cassie collapsed onto the couch. “Oh My God Michael! When did this happen? Is he…? Is…?”

“He’s in hospital. The doctors had to put him into an induced coma. The fuckers took a baseball bat to him!” Michael swore. “Mom and Dad are with him. I’m driving up from Camp Pendleton right now. I would have come home last night as soon as I heard, but I had to hang around for my discharge to be finalized.”

“How’s Peter coping?”

“A complete wreck according to Mom. When she got to the hospital she called his mom to come get him. He was in serious shock.”

“Do they know who did it? Are the police taking it seriously?”

“No one’s saying anything, but I think you and I have a pretty good idea who the scumbags are.”

“Oh Michael,” Cassandra wailed. “I promised I’d keep Charlie safe. It’s my fault. I should have stayed home so I could have warned you all. Oh god, I’m so sorry…”

“STOP RIGHT THERE!” Michael ordered. “The ONLY people at fault are those fu..scumbags who attacked him. No one else. Not you, not me, no one. You and Kath have been keeping him one step ahead of those … ‘individuals’ for months. And now I think about it, probably putting yourselves at risk while doing so. Don’t you DARE start stealing blame from where it belongs. You get me li’l sis?”

Cassie snivelled for a moment. “I get you. I’ll ask Aunt Megan to run us home this afternoon.”

“No you won’t. First, Charlie is still in a coma and you won’t be able to come and see him. It’s only immediate family allowed at the moment anyway. Second, if you come running back to Harbor City someone is going to smell a rat. Like ‘How did you know that Charlie was injured?’ and ‘Why are you so worried about him?’. I guess your Dad hasn’t been on the ‘phone, has he?”

“No, but we could…”

“NO.” Michael overrode her again. “No buts, li’l sis. Right now they are going to be hyped up, super nervous and paranoid. The best thing you can do to keep yourself and Kath safe is to stay away. Understand? Do NOT draw attention. Stick to your original plan. Say nothing. Don’t try and snoop. Keep yourself and Kath out of the way as much as possible, got it? I want your solemn promise on this Cassie.” He demanded.

Reluctantly Cassie ducked her head. Much as she disliked it, what Michael had said made sense. “I promise.”

“Good girl. Now I need to make a few more calls. I guess you have to break the news to Kath and your Aunt. As soon as I get any more news I’ll call you okay?”

“Okay Michael. Could you please let your Mom and Dad know? That we’ll be praying for Charlie?”

Michael sniffed. “Yeah, I’ll do that. Take care.” Then he rang off.

After a very quiet lunch Aunt Megan called for a conference.

“Michael’s right. You do not want to draw any attention. No more spying. Don’t get into arguments. Keep out of the way as much as possible. Agreed?” She waited until she had got two nodding heads.

“I’ll drop you off tomorrow night as planned, but first thing Friday morning I’m going to see my lawyer about getting custody for you two. We don’t know for sure that it was the same guys who attacked Charlie, but I don’t think anyone will be taking bets against it. When the cops start sniffing around, and they will, Children’s Services will not be far behind them. I’d like to be ready for when that happens. If I can, I’m going to get you two back here for the rest of the summer. Will that cause either of you any problems?”

“Uh, Aunty, what about Carl’s and my business? Will we have to stop it?”

Cassie jumped in to answer. “If Aunt Megan doesn’t mind piles of boxes around, there’s no reason it can’t be run from here.” She turned to her Aunt. “Last year we made twelve thousand dollars after expenses and taxes. It’s not a massive amount, but I think it would cover the cost of having us. We wouldn’t be a burden.”

Aunt Megan smiled. “You two would never be a burden, and I have more than enough to feed two more mouths I assure you. However, I can see how much the business means to you. Of course you can run it from here.”

“Aunty, I’ve got an idea. We could go out this afternoon and buy Kath her own laptop to keep here. That way we could be up and running right from the start. And she’s going to need her own computer for school next year anyway.” Cassie suggested. “C’mon Sis. If we do it now I can get it all set up for you before we head back to Harbor City tomorrow afternoon.”

Once Kath had been persuaded, the three of them set out for the nearest Target store with Carl already explaining what he thought Kath would need. Aunt Megan smiled sadly to herself. Despite everything that was going on, the two of them still managed to stay positive and caring. Getting them away from their Dad was probably going to be the best thing that could happen. She hadn’t missed Carl’s comment about heading back tomorrow. He’d said Harbor City, not Home.

Aunt Megan fought back a tear as she drove. ‘Oh Marie, if only you hadn’t been taken from us.’

~o~O~o~

It was gone nine by the time they got back to Harbor City on Thursday. Aunt Megan had stopped on the way for dinner, wanting to minimize the time the two youngsters spent near their father. As she drove the last few miles she briefed the two of them again.

“Remember, you haven’t heard anything. You have to treat your father and brothers exactly the same as before you went away. You absolutely don’t ask any questions about what they’ve been up to. You think you can manage that?” She checked.

“Sure Aunty Meg. Run up, give Daddy a hug and smile, then gush about the Norton Simon museum until his ears bleed.” Kath offered.

“Then I step in, grunt hi, and try and tell him about the Jet Propulsion Laboratory until the commercials finish, when he’ll tune me out for the football.”

Aunt Megan laughed. “Possibly a little less gushing. And if he asks if you’ve heard from Michael?”

“Shrug and say I was going to give him a call this weekend if I didn’t see him in church. Last I heard he had a job lined up out of state.”

“Okay, it sounds like you two are ready, and… its show time.” Aunt Megan pulled the car over and popped the trunk.

“Hi Dad, we’re home.” Carl called out from the front door.

Dad didn’t even bother getting up from the lay-z-boy. “Hi kids, good time?”

“Yeah, we got to see this really cool NASA place…”

“That’s nice son. We can hear all about it over dinner tomorrow.”

“We had a lot of fun didn’t we kids?” Aunt Megan filled the sudden silence as Kath and Carl looked dumbfounded at their father’s lack of interest.

“Brian, It’s late and I need to head on back, so I’ll call you at the weekend okay?” She gave a telling glance at her charges. “You two need to unpack and sort out your laundry before getting ready for bed. You’ve had a long day. Off you go now.”

Kath caught on just before Cassie. “Uh, okay Aunty Meg. ‘Night Daddy, ‘night guys.”

“Safe drive back Aunt Megan. ‘Night everyone.”

Cassie quickly sorted her and Kath’s laundry out and was tucked up with a book when Sean came up to bed. For once he didn’t say anything, no taunts or sarcastic comments. He just grunted, climbed into his bunk and hit the light switch.

The next morning was no better. Kath and Cassie had agreed that they’d do pancakes and bacon for breakfast. It would distract the guys and keep the cooks too busy to talk to. If asked, they’d say that Kath had wanted to do something nice for them while they were off school and the others were still working. Surprisingly they got a thank you from all three. Well, a sort of grunt from Sean, but Cassie decided to take it as a thank you.

Half an hour later the kitchen was clean and tidy, despite the state the guys had left it the previous night, and Kath and Cassie were finally alone.

“Kath can you make a start on the laundry please? I’ll come and help in a bit and do our ironing, but I want to see if there’s anything on the surveillance footage from the last couple of days.” Cassie asked her sister.

“Sure, no problem three-bee.” Kath grabbed a quick hug and started to bounce off to empty the laundry baskets round the house.

Suddenly Cassie had a thought. “Whoah, hold on a moment Munchkin, I’ve got a better idea. Why don’t I do that, and you show me how to check for orders for the business?”

Kath frowned for a moment, then shrugged. “Sure, no problem.” She agreed.

Whilst Kath got set up in the work room, Cassie grabbed a couple of pairs of disposable gloves, her phone and three garbage sacks before heading upstairs.

“There’s three orders partner. I’ve already printed out the labels and lists. Do you want me to make them up?” Kath called out as she heard the washing machine being loaded.

“Sure, Munchkin, go ahead.” Cassie did her best to sound cheerful despite what she had just discovered. “I’ll make a start on the footage. I can load the rest of the laundry while I’m down here anyway.”

Kath had an efficient system and she had all three boxes ready for the mail in under twenty minutes.

“‘Kay partner, all done, anything else I can help with?”

It took moment for Cassie to realize Kath had asked a question. “Uh, I don’t think so. I’ll give you a call when it’s time for lunch okay?”

Kath beamed and headed up to her room. She hadn’t spoken to Suzie since last week and wanted to have a good catch up. As a result she missed Cassie rushing to be sick in the downstairs cloakroom ten minutes later.

It was all there on the video, backed up by the laundry baskets. They’d all been involved. They’d even fucking gloated about it!

Cassie pulled herself to her feet and washed the foul taste from her mouth. She stumbled upstairs and rinsed again with mouthwash, thinking that no amount of mouthwash would clean away the filth she had just witnessed. Back downstairs she went out to the garbage cans and checked. There it was, buried under the empty pizza boxes.

Finally, she went back down to the work room, grabbed a handful of the biggest capacity USB sticks she had, and started copying files.

Here was the video of the Neanderthals whooping when they found out where Charlie was going to be on Tuesday. One of them had snatched his phone when he wasn’t looking and checked his calendar.

Here was the video of Dad agreeing to drive them to ‘catch a show’ that night as he winked and grinned at the guys.

Here was Jimmy coming into the living room, shoving an old junior baseball bat up his sleeve and then following Dad and Sean out the door.

Here was Dad giving orders to get changed and dump their stuff in the laundry, and the bat deep in the garbage.

And, oh god, here was the entire crew boasting about what each of them had done to Charlie. Jimmy replaying his attack with the bat to a rousing cheer. Even Sean got a shout when, with a feral grin, he told how he’d kicked the fucking fag in the head.

Cassie was numb as she copied the files to the memory sticks, added the photos from her phone, wrapped the items of blood spattered clothing in plastic bags, then shoved them down the back of the dryer.

Still in a daze she went up to the kitchen and got a glass of water. She sat for a long time, staring out the window, as she decided what to do.

Eventually she called Kath down.

“Kathleen, we need to talk.”

Kath’s eyes snapped to her big bro. That phrase had only ever been used by Mom when something was serious. As she stared she noticed the pain in her sibling’s eyes and an awful realization crept over her.

“They did it.” It was a statement, not a question. Cassie nodded.

“All of them?”

“Yes.” Came the strangled whisper.

“You have proof.” Again Cassie nodded.

Kath reached out for her sibling as she closed her eyes in pain. “Mom would have stopped them.” She snivelled as she clung on to Cassie’s front.

They sat like that for almost an hour until Cassie roused herself. “They’ll be back soon. We need to get ready.”

“To Aunt Megan? Now?”

Cassie shook her head. “We haven’t got time now. Tomorrow, when we go to the Dojo. Pack your gym bag with stuff you absolutely can’t leave behind, including your debit card. We’ll go a stop down the line and get a cab from there to Pasadena. Can you hold it together ’til then? Act like you did last night?”

“I think so. Can you?”

“I’ll have to, both of us will.”

The next twenty hours were torture for Cassie. She was terrified Dad or her brothers would go looking for the blood spattered clothes, that she would say something or do something that would give them all away, that they’d find her copies of the damning videos. She watched Kath enviously as her little sister breezed through the afternoon and evening, dominating the talk at dinner that night with stories of what they had seen and done in Pasadena. Kath had even managed to hug and kiss ‘Daddy’ goodnight with a smile on her face.

The next morning Cassie got Kath to keep watch as she opened up her hiding place in the work room and retrieved her treasures, a handful of USB memory sticks and a healthy bundle of cash. They stayed down there, apparently working, until lunchtime. What Cassie was actually doing was transferring the last of the funds to their cards and suspending all her accounts. The last items she packed were her laptop, the broadband dongle and the cheap burner phone she’d bought over two years ago.

For lunch Kath and Cassie put together some quick and easy open sandwiches for everyone, although Cassie herself could barely eat. Then it was time to go.

They headed for the door, bags over their shoulders.

“See you Dad, we’re off now.” Cassie called out as she reached for the latch.

“What time are you back?” Echoed from the living room.

‘Never’ went through her mind. “About five, five thirty I think.”

“So what time will you have dinner ready?”

‘See above’ she thought. “Probably about seven. You okay with lasagne?”

“Okay, have fun.”

Then they were out.

Cassie’s mind was now running like a clock. Three minutes to walk to the stop. The bus was due in five. About five minutes ride to the next stop. Call a cab now, while we’re waiting. Arrange the pick-up for round the corner from the stop in fifteen minutes. Make that one fifteen. Agree a fare with the driver out to Pasadena, probably sixty or seventy bucks. Plan an even hundred with the tip. Should be a one hour drive. Call Aunt Megan on the way, no, get Kath to call Aunt Megan. Another call to Michael. Make sure to use the disposable phone for that one.

Her mind whirled on, as she walked quickly to the stop, Kath silent and grim at her side.

Cassandra knew she had to get Kath to safety with Aunt Megan. She also knew that, once her family, worked out that the evidence came from ‘Carl’, neither Kath nor Aunt Megan would be safe anywhere near her. It would rip her heart to shreds, but in two hours she would say goodbye to her sister and Aunt, take her evidence to the police, and start running for cover.

~o~O~o~

Once they were on the bus Kath let out a whoosh of relief. “Are we safe now?” She murmured to Cassie.

“For the next five hours. Then they’ll start calling and looking.” Cassie snorted quietly. “They’ll be wanting that lasagne.”

“So, what’s the plan?”

“Off at the next stop. We have a yellow cab waiting at 248th and Eshelman in…” Cassie peeked at her ‘phone, “eight minutes. Then straight up to Pasadena to Aunt Megan. You’ll call Aunty Meg on the way and say you are in a cab and that you’ll tell her everything on arrival. To be safe ask to meet on foot at the gate at the southern end of the Memorial Gardens in Pasadena.”

Kath let out a nervous giggle. “You make it sound like a spy movie.”

“Isn’t that exactly what we did? And right now we’re running with the evidence that will put Sean, Jimmy and Dad behind bars for a long time. They are looking at least four to ten years in jail, each. If they suspected what we are doing, how far do you think they would go to stop us Sis?” Cassie looked up before her sister had a chance to reply. “Come on, this is our stop.”

Ten minutes later they were in the cab heading north. Cassie made a quick call to the dojo pleading an upset stomach and apologizing for them missing class. Then she turned to her sister.

“Ready to do this Munchkin? Remember, don’t mention me. Make it sound as if you’re alone.”

“Why?”

“Because it’ll be me they want. This way, you and Aunt Megan have deniability. Trust me.”

Still unsure, Kath tapped her speed dial. “Hi Aunty Meg… I’m in a cab coming to see you, I’ve got an overnight bag … uh, things ‘didn’t straighten out’ … no I can’t, I’m in a cab right now. I will when I get there… he’s not available right now… no, I’m perfectly safe, really!… Can we meet at the south end of Memorial Park?… About three quarters of an hour okay? … Love you too, Byee!”

Once Kath ended the call Cassie took her ‘phone from her, powered it down, and pulled the SIM card before handing it back. “Put it back together once you’re safe in Aunt Megan’s apartment okay? Not before. Promise?” As she spoke she did the same with her own ‘phone.

Slightly scared now, Kath nodded.

‘Good’ thought Cassie, a little guiltily. ’She ought to be scared. I am.’

Cassie pulled out her disposable ‘phone and quickly sent Michael an SMS message.

‘C n K running 2 safety. Pickup C 1630 Chntwn Metro. No calls til thn. Tell nobdy. Del msg’.

That done, Cassie turned off her disposable ‘phone as well.

“Right Munchkin. I’ve got some presents for you.” Cassie grinned at her sister and pulled a bulky envelope from her gym bag. “Don’t look now but treat it really gently, and wait ’til you get to Aunty Meg’s to open it. All the details about what to do are on the blue USB stick. There’s also a separate sealed envelope with what we found, and a green USB with a copy of it that Aunty Meg can look at.”

Kath looked up from the envelope suspiciously. “You make it sound like you won’t be with me.”

Inside Cassie wailed in anguish, knowing what was to come. Instead she grinned. “Back ups and duplicates Sis. See?” She opened her own bag to reveal two similar envelopes. “You know me, super careful and always with a plan. Now, how do you feel about moving schools to Pasadena?”

They arrived in Pasadena right on time. As they pulled up Kath spotted Aunt Megan a few hundred yards away at the entrance to the park.

“Hey Munchkin why don’t you head over to her while I settle up with the driver? Find somewhere to sit so we can talk? If I remember, there’s an ice cream place just inside the park with tables and shades.”

Kath happily headed off and ambushed their aunt with a massive hug.

“Oh honey! I was so worried when I got your call. What’s happened?”

“Carl will tell you. He’s just paying off the cab. He’s…” Kath looked around to find that both Carl and the cab had vanished. Just then Aunt Megan’s ‘phone rang. She looked down to see Carl’s user ID flash on screen.

“Carl? Where are you? We’re just waiting for you. Where did you go?”

“Aunt Megan, trust me. This is life and death important. You must NOT see me. Take Kath into the park and find a seat right now!”

“But Carl..”

“DO IT! RIGHT NOW. You’ve GOT to keep Kath safe. I’ll call again in five.”

Aunt Megan recoiled from the suppressed fury and terror in the teen’s voice as the connection cut off.

“What’s wrong Aunty?”

“Nothing sweetie. Carl is just dealing with something, so let’s go and find a seat.”

Exactly five minutes later Aunt Megan’s ‘phone rang again.

“Carl?”

“Aunt Megan, I’m so sorry for this, but when the police or my father come, you MUST be able to say you haven’t seen me. In Kath’s bag is an envelope with an evidence pack for the police. In it is proof that my father, Jimmy and Sean were all equally involved in planning and carrying out the attack on Charlie. That’s a felony offense of battery with great bodily injury. As it’s also a provable hate crime they’re each looking at up to thirteen years jail time. Kath hasn’t seen any of the evidence; I’ve tried to keep her out of it so she couldn’t be called as a witness and she’s not a threat to anyone. It’s all on me understand?”

“But Carl, we can work all this out together. Come here right now!”

“I’m so sorry Aunt Megan. I swore to Mom that I’d keep Kath safe. If she’s near me she’s in danger; you are in danger. I can’t let that happen. Those scumbags will probably get bail and come hunting. I have to keep you safe. In the outer envelope there’s also letters for both you and the munchkin.” Aunt Megan heard a catch in the youngster’s voice. “There’s also a carefully wrapped comic. Treat it as if it’s worth ten times it’s weight in gold… because it is. Last time I looked, similar copies were selling for nineteen thousand dollars. That should be enough to pay for lawyers and cover Kath’s costs until you two get the business back up and running. Tell her… tell her I want her to keep doing Kung Fu and Ballet, and I love you both so much.”

“Carl, you’re not old enough to look after yourself. Whatever it takes I’ll protect you.” She pleaded.

Aunt Megan was confused by her nephew’s parting comment. “Carl may not be Aunty, but Cassandra is. It’s all in the letter. Don’t call anyone until after five thirty, and take care of Kath for me.” Then the call hung up.

up
423 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Looks like Cassandra might be heading up to the mining site

with Michael and his buddies. That is if the police arrest Brian, Jimmy and Sean and are able to keep Michael's group from tearing them apart. I imagine battle hardened troops could figure out how to make a few people disappear without a trace.

Poor Charlie and Peter. I hope Charlie doesn't end up with permanent disabilies from the attack.

The gay partner of a friend of a friend of mine was attacked by baseball bats while vacationing in Boston several years ago. After many operations his face is almost back to normal. He still has difficulty going out to places they don't know.

Just friggin wow.

Mantori's picture

As I said tears galore.

You have a fan for life, just on the strength of the last 2 chapters alone.

The only thing I do not like is the fact that you are separating Cassie and the Munchkin. I know it is necessary, but that is so damn sad, she deserves to get to know her older sister from the start. And what if this abandonment causes a rift between the two?

Wow. I am shaking as I am typing this, you truly have some skills. This is the type of story that needs to be made into a movie or a TV series.

Thank you as always!!!

"Life in general is a fuck up,
but it is the rare moments of beauty and peace
in between the chaos,
That makes it worth living."
- Tertia Hill

Dorm mother

WillowD's picture

I think that Charlie and company are about to find a dorm mother to take care of the dormitory.

And for those that are curious, here is some music here is the Japanese McDonald's online advertising theme song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWy5vmBdGMY

Fourteen.

Yep, that's about the age when you get to start understanding stuff and making decisions. Serious, life changing decisions, like absconding from Borstal, living rough, living 'on - the - lam', turning to prostitution.

In my experiences, fourteen was a far more important age than sixteen, eighteen or twenty one! The age when street wisdom and cynical understanding arrives, the age when reality invades whatever life you have. The age when suicide begins to look attractive.

bev_1.jpg

wow

wow, what a way for Cassandra to come out. her dad and brothers are among the low of the lowest. I hope that kath can be safe through all of this. looking forward to next chapter of a wonderful story. keep up the good work.
robert

001.JPG

Cassandra's father

Monique S's picture

must have killed his brain off with his drinking! How heroic to induce a whole group of brainless Jocks into attacking one single young person with baseball bats, that really takes guts huh? Well, his demented father in law would probably have congatuated him for doing God's work.

If there was any celestial justice I hope God made Carl/Cassie's and Kath's mother watch from above so that she can see how much these fucked up people in her family were capable of in the name of "religion".

Monique S

Make zero sense for her to

Make zero sense for her to runaway from her aunt and sister she was at this point doing so well now if she becomes a runaway she be in trouble with the law (chould be wrong) . I hope you change your mind. Btw you made me make this temp account .

Cassie's decision to run - An author's POV

persephone's picture

You suggested that Cassie's decision to run once Kath was safe might not have been logical. When I started writing the chapter I decided that a 14 year old and scared witless Cassie (no matter how in control she appeared to be) probably wasn't logical.

Then I thought about it and decided that Cassandra's decision did make sense.

Cassie made a point of ensuring that Kath had seen nothing and did nothing. She did this to protect Kath so that only she was a threat to her brothers and father. Furthermore, she realized that the fact she is TG might well push her father completely over the edge and she really didn't want him to be near Kath if that happened.

Finally if it came to a custody battle, Brian would be the recipient of dollars from all sorts of religious nut jobs to help fight any custody case, which would automatically affect Kath as well as herself.

This doesn't make your suggestion wrong. I just wanted to explain why I wrote this chapter the way I did.

Persephone

Non sum qualis eram

I thought it was really clever that Cass

made sure that Kath didn't see anything or know much.

But Cass and Kath do belong together, I hope the separation won't be too long.

I worry that like last time, their friends will go after Cass. The put her in the hospital once already, she's smart to get out of town.

I did think about her going with Michael to the mining place, but then what about school and Kath? I suppose it's possible she might be able to do online stuff or *maybe* GED (probably too young).

All I know is all your stuff is good, but these last two chapters are unbelievably good. So much emotion and so well done.

Thank you for sharing your talent with all of us.

I would imagine that Michael's family would want to help Cass. Maybe she can stay with Michae'ls Aunt and two daughters.

Given how carefully Cass has planned everything else, I'd imagine she has a plan for this situation.

My Gosh !!!

Cassie had been working on this for a long time. It is understandable because my own relationship with my stepfather was very bad. My brothers, much older than I were gone, so were neither protection or a threat. Cassie's not feeling safe for her or Kath is so chilling.

And, here in 'merica, the assailants will be out and on the hunt in 5 years maximum, probably only 3 years.

I'm not gay in any sense of the word. It confuses me. But I have nothing against them at all.

This was a very emotional and tough chapter to read.

Gwen

You have toi trust somebody,

and Cassandra is not safe on her own. She will need allies to stay safe.

Wow

Alice-s's picture

Ok. Officially love it. Eagerly awaiting the next part.

You must like making me cry!!!

I am so sad that you split Cassie and Kathy apart. It's going to rip their hearts out. Like others I can see a mine and Cassie's future. I think they found their housekeeper. And what better group to keep her safe. The adventure continues to grow and I see Michael and her new brothers becoming so much more to Cassie's future. This story and I am not exaggerating is going to become one of the greats in the closet. You are awesome.
Can't wait for more chapters.

Willow

Willow

Odd

As bad as it seems for Cassandra right now I think she's at her safest by far. For one thing she has a support network that nearly no one knows about (Kath might have some idea) and now she's many miles away from the people that were most likely to cause her harm. Honestly in my book everything is great. She'll be hunted, sure, but with a team of marines (or normal soldiers I forget) on her side it's definitely significantly better than her closeted and honestly near slave existence with her "family". Anyway I have to say fantastic plot and writing, this is truly an incredible story.

another fantastic chapter

With Brian orchestrating the attack on Charlie. His two older sons participating in said attack. It would be hard for him to retain custody of Carl and Kathleen. I'm sure that Oak Vale's varsity football team will be canceling more than a few games.

So is Cassie going to be house mother for the team in Washington? Will she get the appropriate medical treatment. What changes will have occured when Cassie finally gets back to Aunt Megan and Kath? After 3 years. Again waiting on the next evolution.

Kymmie

Cassandra - Chapter 8

persephone's picture

All will be revealed on Friday in Chapter 8.

As you now know, Kath now has one and there are two other copies. Our Cassie isn't an idiot and as always, she has a plan. :)

Persephone

Non sum qualis eram

Who has the bloody clothes

I thought maybe Kath, but surely it needs to get to the police.

See above

persephone's picture

All will be revealed on Friday :)

Persephone

Non sum qualis eram

Is it Friday yet?

Is it Friday yet?

WOW

Dramatic and well written. Got me hooked. Not too worried about Cass. Suspect she could pass GED and do well running her own business without further education. But she is in danger as a runaway 14-year old. And the separation from Kath will take a toll on both of them. Can hardly wait to see where you take this.

Hugs Cheryl

I Hope Cassandra Takes Time To Think

jengrl's picture

and realize that she is a minor and not in a position to be on her own for very long, especially in California where the cost of living is already ridiculous and a lot of motel wouldn’t rent rooms to minors . She might also be more equipped to handle herself since the judo lessons , but she still would have a difficult time if she ran across a gang of thugs with weapons out on the streets , When she turns in the evidence to the police about what her dad and brother’s did, I doubt very seriously that they would be allowed to get out on bail because of the brutality of the crime and especially since it was against a minor with hate crimes statutes in play and in California where they have stiffer laws for crimes of that nature . Also “Great bodily harm” in Brit speak would translate to assault and battery or attempted murder with aggravating circumstances since they used a weapon and it was a targeted attack because he was gay . The charges would keep them in prison for a long time where the inmates might just level their own brand of justice. Since they were intent on killing him and Dad had even stated in front of Cassie and Kath that “If there were any queers in this house, I’ll kill them myself”after the fight between Sean and Cassie . The best case scenario is that she would go to Washington with Michael and the guys as their team cook . Since no one outside of their group knows that Cassie hooked them up with the opportunity, she could be among a team of big strong former Marines who would only know who she really was and be an extra layer of protection beyond her presentation as a girl! I do hope she doesn’t have to hide forever and be apart from Kath and Aunt Megan for long? I continue to really enjoy this story!

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

There's one other problem

There's one other problem besides leaving Kath.
With Cassie running, what makes her think that her scumbag brothers and father won't go after Kath and Aunt Megan to try and find out where Carl went to, as close as Kath and Carl are they won't believe that they don't know where he went and after what they did to Charlie they wouldn't hesitate to hurt them if they thought they could keep themselves out of jail by getting rid of witnesses.

Cassandra marathon

Robyn B's picture

I logged into this story this morning and have reached the end of chapter seven.

A terrific story. Some background to start, a slow awakening and learning to cope with some with life's idiosyncrasy, establishment of family attitudes, a full realisation and establishing a safe persona and place. All looking forward to an ongoing terrific story.

Don't worry about the americanisms being right or not. I am reading from Australia and using google earth to make sense of the geography as I read.

Keep up the good work and don't make it a long while between postings...

Robyn B
Sydney

Thank You!

Thank you for sharing your talent and this wonderful story!

Can't wait for Friday!

Hugs
Gina

Horrible turn of events

Jamie Lee's picture

How did Charlie's life physically bother the lives of the AHs who attacked him? It didn't, he never tried to push his way of life on anyone. But because he was different that alone justified the attack?

If the pigs who attacked Charlie ever stopped and looked, they'd see how different they themselves are from each other. Their height is different, as is their weight, eye color, hair color, and many more things. And yet they don't attack each other.

Carl's promise to keep Kath safe was paramount in his planning to get them out of the house and away from three dangerous family members. Was he right in leaving Kath with Megan then leaving? In his mind he was, but he didn't take his thinking far enough.

His planning somehow involves Michael, which could put Michael and his family in trouble. If Carl has plans to go with Michael to the mining area, he will then put Michael in danger of being charged with several offenses, even though Carl went voluntarily.

Dad, Jimmy, and Sean have really blown it this time, with Brian likely to get the longest sentence because of being the adult who should have stopped it all.

Others have feelings too.

Virtual Value

joannebarbarella's picture

I haven't commented to date because I've been binge-reading to get this far, and that hasn't been any kind of hardship.

I remember there was a more-or-less throwaway mention of Cass buying a thousand units of a virtual currency at $2 per unit. That would probably increase by at least a thousand times since the purchase(Bitcoin went to $15000 at one stage), so Cass will by now be a seriously rich young lady with resources enough to finance her transition to her new identity and any evasive manoeuvres (sorry, Americans) that she might have to take to stymie pursuit by her father, brothers and footballers.

I am enjoying the story immensely and expect to continue doing so as I still have at least ten chapters to go. Thankyou for writing.

Wow - this girl, this story

This story is amazing. It ought to be a film. Thanks for having the guts to put this all into words and share it with us.

Kaleigh