Note to Kenny

Printer-friendly version

“What the hell...?”

He knew that he hadn’t seen that piece of paper before, and it hadn’t been in his locker when he closed it up the previous afternoon. Someone had shoved it between the venting slats after he left the previous day or before he arrived that morning.



“Hey, you two!”

“Hey Kenny!”

The three of them made their usual rendezvous at the front entrance of the school. Kenny James had known his friends, Maggie and Jena, since kindergarten and their friendships had blossomed ever since. Kenny’s feelings for Maggie, however, had long since transcended friendship and risen high into the realm of the romantic.

“Are we still on for Friday night?”

“Yup. We’re getting started at four o’clock. Kenny, did you line up a ride yet?”

“Yeah, I’m riding over with Jena.”

“Excellent. Jena, you have the address, right?”

“Of course I do!”

Maggie giggled.

“Of course you do!”

“I’m really looking forward to this, Maggie. I’ve never been to your house before!”

“Really? You haven’t?”

“No, thanks to the rules regarding boys in your house.”

This was news to Jena.

“What rule is that, Maggie?”

“No boys are allowed while Mom is out of the house -- and she's out of the house a lot.”

“Really? Well, I guess that’s typical of parents, right?”

“Yeah, unfortunately it is!”

They arrived at a hallway full of lockers.

“All right, I’ll see you girls at lunch!”

“See you, Kenny!”

They parted ways to visit their lockers and get whatever they would need for class. The lockers at their school had two tiers, a lower tier and an upper tier. Kenny’s locker was in the upper tier. As Kenny opened his locker, he saw a folded up piece of paper sitting on top of the books in his locker. His name was written across the front in large block letters.

“What the hell...?”

He knew that he hadn’t seen that piece of paper before, and it hadn’t been in his locker when he closed it up the previous afternoon. Someone had shoved it between the venting slats after he left the previous day or before he arrived that morning.

He unfolded the piece of paper and found a note written on it. He also found a key which had been folded up inside the note. He read the note, which was written in the same block letters:

KENNY --

WE HAVE A FULL FRONTAL NAKED PHOTO OF MAGGIE. THE PHOTO IS EXCELLENT QUALITY. IF YOU DON’T WANT THAT PHOTO E-MAILED TO EVERY STUDENT AT THIS SCHOOL THEN YOU WILL FOLLOW ALL OF OUR INSTRUCTIONS WITHOUT FAIL.

BEFORE YOU LEAVE SCHOOL ON FRIDAY YOU ARE TO GO TO LOCKER NUMBER 432 WHERE YOU WILL FIND A DUFFLE BAG, A SEALED ENVELOPE, AND A PIECE OF PAPER WITH AN ADDRESS ON IT. YOU ARE NOT TO OPEN THE ENVELOPE. AFTER YOU RETRIEVE THE DUFFLE BAG, THE ENVELOPE AND THE ADDRESS, YOU ARE TO GO HOME IMMEDIATELY AND PUT ON EVERYTHING IN THE DUFFLE BAG. INCLUDED IN THE DUFFLE BAG ARE INSTRUCTIONS ON GETTING YOURSELF DRESSED. YOU ARE TO FOLLOW THEM WITHOUT EXCEPTION!

YOU WILL NEED TRANSPORTATION ON FRIDAY. FOR THIS REASON ALONE, YOU MAY TELL YOUR SISTER ABOUT YOUR INSTRUCTIONS. HOWEVER, YOU AND YOUR SISTER ARE NOT TO TELL ANYONE ELSE ABOUT ANY OF THIS -- ESPECIALLY MAGGIE.

IF YOU’RE SMART -- AND IF YOU CARE ABOUT MAGGIE AT ALL -- YOU WILL DO WHAT YOU ARE TOLD.

END OF MESSAGE

The color was completely drained from Kenny’s face. He put the note and key in a small pocket in his backpack and zipped the pocket shut. Was this for real? Was someone about to jump out and laugh at him? Did someone really have a naked picture of Maggie that they were prepared to e-mail to the entire school? The only thing Kenny knew with certainty was that he cared about Maggie more than anything else in the universe and he was going to do exactly as he was told.

Kenny spent his morning unable to concentrate. His classes no longer mattered to him. All that mattered was that Maggie would suffer horrendously if Kenny didn’t come through for her. He tried to calm himself down -- without much success -- before he had lunch with Maggie and Jena.

He met up with Maggie and Jena at their usual table. He was clearly instructed not to tell anyone -- especially Maggie -- about the note or the naked photo of her. He fought like hell to stay calm. He smiled at his friends as he approached their table and sat down.

“Hi, girls!”

“Hey, Kenny!”

Maggie smiled at him, but her smile faltered as she paused for a moment.

“Is everything all right?”

That girl never missed a thing! Jena got up to use the bathroom and Kenny tried to broaden his smile.

“Yeah, everything is just fine. Why do you ask?”

“Well, something is obviously bothering you.”

Oh, Christ! Kenny had to think of something fast!

“What gives you that idea?”

“Kenny, please tell me what’s wrong.”

She put one hand on his, making his heart throb in his chest. Kenny took Maggie’s hands and looked her in the eyes.

“Maggie, do you trust me?”

She looked at him nervously.

“What kind of a question is that? Of course I trust you!”

Kenny relaxed a bit.

“Okay. I really need you to trust me right now.”

“Trust you about what?”

“Trust me that everything is fine.”

“Kenny, it’s crystal clear to me that everything is not fine. Did something happen this morning?”

Kenny had no idea how to answer her. He didn’t want to lie to Maggie, but he couldn’t tell her the truth, either. He couldn’t risk having that naked photo e-mailed to everyone!

“I’ll take your silence as a yes, something did happen.”

Shit! Maggie knew something happened and she wasn’t going to let it go.

“Kenny, what happened?”

Leave it to Maggie to nail him with the one question he was hoping she wouldn’t ask.

“They warned me not to say anything. You don’t know what they’re going do to you–“

Kenny clamped one hand over his mouth to shut himself up -- but it was too late. Maggie’s face took on an expression of alarm.

“They’re going to do something to me?? Kenny, what are they going to do — and who are you talking about??”

Kenny looked at Maggie helplessly. He felt awful. He could feel the fear in her face and in her voice. He was desperately worried about Maggie being badly humiliated and he didn’t feel at all sure that he could stop it.

“Maggie, they explicitly warned me not to tell you--”

“Kenny, if something bad is going to happen to me then you have to tell me what it is so we can do something!”

Kenny desperately tried to think of what to say. He opened his mouth, but nothing came out.

“Kenny, for god sake! Tell me!”

Maggie’s alarm was steadily escalating -- and her voice was beginning to quaver. Kenny was on the verge of tears. He closed his eyes for a moment to try to steady his nerves and then he looked into Maggie’s eyes again. His voice was tremulous.

“Maggie, please! I can’t say anything! If I could I would -- you know I would -- but I honestly can’t!”

Kenny could scarcely hold himself together.

“Kenny, I can’t believe you're screwing me over like this! I thought we were friends!”

Kenny was horrified.

“We are friends! Close friends!”

Close?? Is this what you call close?? Refusing to tell me what’s going to happen to me so I can’t do a fucking thing about it?? That is not how friends treat each other, Kenny!!”

A few heads were beginning to turn in their direction. A single tear escaped from Kenny’s eye and he quickly wiped it before anybody saw it. Jena was on her way back from the bathroom and she had noticed the commotion. She had an expression of concern on her face and she was hurrying to return to the table.

“Maggie, I don’t have a choice!”

What??”

“Maggie, if you had any idea--”

Like hell you don’t have a choice!”

More heads turned.

“Maggie, if you only knew how much--”

Kenny?!”

Tears began to leak from Maggie’s eyes and each one tugged mercilessly on Kenny’s heartstrings. He was overwhelmed into silence.

“Kenny, how...?”

Maggie was becoming too choked up to speak.

“How can...?”

She trailed off again and Jena was back.

“What’s going on? Kenny, what in the hell did you say to Maggie??”

Maggie opened her mouth one more time to speak but couldn’t.

“Kenny, what did you say to her, you fucking asshole?”

Jena spat venom at Kenny, turning a few dozen more heads in the process. Maggie gathered up her things and glanced at Jena who instantly understood that Maggie was leaving and wanted her to come. The girls picked up their garbage, turned around, and left.

Kenny grabbed his own garbage and his backpack. He dumped his garbage and headed for the nearest restroom. There were two unisex, single-person bathrooms not far from the dining room. Kenny heard crying coming from one of them and prayed like hell that it wasn’t Maggie -- but he knew, intuitively, that it was.

He went into the other bathroom, locked the door and burst into tears. He was worried about the girl he loved more than anything being hurt. He was scared that he would not be able to save Maggie from being hurt. He felt awful that she was now terrified and obviously felt that he had betrayed her. He was worried about losing her. He felt awful about her humiliation in the dining room and his own humiliation in the dining room was starkly palpable as well. It was all just too much.

* * * * *

“Hello?”

“We have to call it off. All of it. Now!”

“Why? What happened?”

“Kenny and Maggie had a big fight right in the middle of the dining room and Maggie left in tears. I saw the whole thing. This is going to kill their friendship if it hasn’t already -- and that was not part of the plan! You know how much Kenny loves Maggie.”

“Yes, and I also know how much Maggie loves Kenny so I don’t want their friendship to die any more than you do.”

“Right! So we’re calling it off!”

“No, no, no, wait, just stop and think for a sec, okay?”

“What in the fuck is there to think about??”

“Think about this: If the situation really is that bad then there’s only one way we can fix it -- and I think you know what that is.”

“Oh shit!”

“So you agree that we have to go through with this?”

“Yes! I agree!”

“Okay, good. I’m telling you, this is going to work!”

“Well it fucking better!!”

* * * * *

Kenny had always been a very emotional person, emotional to a level he had seen mostly in girls -- but this was not the only thing he had in common with girls. For that matter, he had far more in common with girls than he did with boys. His favorite color was lavender. He preferred the company of girls, preferred their ways of doing things and made friends more easily with girls -- until the debacle in the dining room, anyhow. Kenny’s hair was as long as that of most girls and he loved to dress in girls’ clothes.

He started on his sixth birthday. He had a party and invited a mob of other five and six year old boys and girls. His parents served cake and ice cream and they had all sorts of fun. After Kenny’s guests left, Kenny found a small duffle bag near the front door that had been left by one of the girls who had just come from a ballet lesson. It had a small ballerina embroidered on one side. He opened it up and found a couple of pairs of pink ballet tights and two leotards. The leotards were lavender, his favorite color! With a big goofy smile on his face he brought the duffle bag and its contents to his room and closed the door. He removed all of his clothes and slipped on a pair of the tights. He wrestled with them a bit but he got them on. Then, still high on excitement, he pulled on a lavender leotard over the tights. When he was done, he left his room and knocked on Tracy’s door. When she opened her door, Kenny smiled excitedly and said, “Look, Tracy! I’m a girl!” Tracy erupted into laughter. Kenny’s hair had grown almost to his chin even then, and he really did look like a girl.

Tracy asked where Kenny had gotten the leotard and tights. Kenny excitedly told her about the duffle bag he had found near the door. Tracy giggled and suggested that Kenny take off the leotard and tights because they didn’t belong to him, but Kenny didn’t want to. He wanted to be a girl! As a compromise, Tracy suggested that she dress up Kenny in some of her old clothes instead. To this, Kenny agreed. Five minutes later, Kenny was dressed in a pair of panties, a sundress, and a pair of sandals. Tracy put barrettes in his hair as well. For the next hour, Kenny remained dressed as a girl -- until they heard their mother calling for them.

Tracy tried to convince Kenny to remove the girls’ clothing he was wearing but he begged to keep it on. Tracy could hear that Kenny was becoming emotional and she proposed that she would dress him up again very soon if he would take off the dress. Kenny relented. Tracy had him back to “boy mode” and had the leotard and tights back in the duffle bag before their mother found out.

The very next day, Kenny knocked on Tracy’s door and asked to be dressed up as a girl again. Tracy agreed and dressed him up in the same dress, at his request.

Over the years, Tracy continued to dress him up from time to time -- almost always at his request. Eventually it became clear to Tracy that it was not just about the clothes -- Kenny was a girl!

* * * * *

Kenny tried to pull himself together. He was perfectly comfortable with his emotions but the other boys at his school would give him endless trouble if they saw him crying. He already took quite a bit of razzing about his shoulder length hair. Throwing tears into the mix would only make it worse.

Kenny ran some warm water in the sink, dampened a paper towel, and cleaned up his face. He threw the paper towel in the trash can and stared at himself in the mirror. He could still hear Maggie crying in the other bathroom and it hurt to hear her crying like that. Kenny silently promised Maggie that he would pull through this for her and that he would make goddamn sure that photo didn’t get out.

A small knock issued from the door.

“Kenny? It’s me, Tracy. Are you okay?”

Evidently, Kenny’s sister Tracy was aware of the dining room disaster already. Kenny unlocked the door and gestured for her to come in.

“Kenny, what happened in there?”

Kenny closed and locked the door. He gave a long sigh before he replied.

“She hates my guts.”

“Oh, Kenny, I’m sure that’s not true.”

“Then I guess you didn’t hear our conversation.”

Tracy’s eyebrows went up.

“Uh oh. Was it really that bad?”

“I don’t even know if Maggie and I are still friends -- or Jena. Does that sound bad?”

“Oh, God! That is bad!”

Tracy hugged her little sister. Suddenly they heard the sound of a piece of paper sliding under the bathroom door. Kenny winced.

“Oh, Jesus Christ, not another goddamn note!”

“Hang on, Kenny, let’s just see what it says.”

Tracy went over and picked up the piece of paper. The piece of paper was folded up and had Kenny’s name on it. Tracy handed it to him.

“This ought to be loads of fun.”

Kenny unfolded the piece of paper and found a note addressed to him.

Kenny --

It hurt me very deeply that you wouldn’t tell me what’s going to happen to me. I thought I knew you. I thought I could trust you. I thought you cared about me. I guess I was wrong.

I’m writing this to tell you that you are no longer welcome at my party on Friday night. I am sorry but I think it’s for the best. I think that we should both move on. Maybe someday I will understand, but... I just don’t think I can.

Maggie

“Well, that’s it. It’s over. We’re done.”

Kenny burst into tears again. Tracy took the letter from him and read it.

“Oh shit! God, that must hurt. Kenny, I’m so sorry. I know how much you love her.”

She hugged him again and let him cry on her shoulder for a while. When Kenny pulled himself together for the second time, he spoke meekly.

“Oh well, I can’t make it to the party anyway.”

“What do you mean?”

Kenny opened his backpack, took out the note he found in his locker, and wordlessly handed it to his sister. Tracy read it while he waited.

“Well, Jesus fucking Christ! No wonder you didn’t want to tell her!”

“Yeah! There’s no way I can risk that!”

“Well, hell, Kenny, I know how hard it must have been not to tell Maggie, but I really think you’re right not to fuck around with this. You did the right thing and I’m proud of you. I mean, what they’re threatening is easily possible. You know how the school has an email address that automatically forwards all incoming messages to every student at school. Whoever is doing this can easily compose a single email with the photo attached and send it to that address. That’s all they have to do. I mean, my God, what if somebody posts that photo on the internet?”

Kenny looked stricken.

“Oh my God, I didn’t even think of that!”

Tracy hugged him again.

“I am going to do everything I can to help both of you, okay?”

“Okay. Thanks, Tracy. At least I can still save her.”

Kenny sighed heavily.

“Yeah, that’s what we need to focus on now.”

Tracy rubbed Kenny’s back with one hand.

“Look, Kenny, why don’t I drive you home today, okay? I’ll meet you out front?”

“Thanks, Tracy.”

He hugged his sister one more time.

* * * * *

The rest of Kenny’s day went by in a funk. All he could think about was losing Maggie and hoping to God he could stop the naked picture from being emailed to the entire school -- and possibly posted on the internet.

Kenny and Maggie had several classes together. He would look over at her with utter heartbreak in his face. She would glance at him and look away abruptly. A few times, Jena glared at him.

At the end of Kenny’s last class, he gathered his things, stopped by his locker and grabbed whatever he would need for his homework -- not that he would be able to concentrate. When he was done, he trudged toward the front entrance.

On his way, he noticed locker number 432 on his left. The locker had no lock on it. It appeared to be unused. He wondered what the hell the key was for. He reached out one hand to open the locker and see if anything was inside it, but he stopped before his fingers touched the cold metal handle. They never said he couldn’t open the locker before Friday, but he decided not to risk it. At least he knew exactly where to find locker number 432. That would come in handy later. He turned and made his way to the front entrance where he met up with his sister.

“Hi, Kenny.”

She hugged him again.

“Hi, sis. Let’s just go, okay?”

“Okay. Let’s go.”

They walked down the school’s front steps and headed for Tracy’s car. Kenny could see Maggie and Jena getting into another car out front. It hurt just to look at Maggie. Maggie turned around and saw Kenny and Tracy walking towards Tracy’s car. With a hurt expression on her face, Maggie turned her back on Kenny. Maggie got into the car after Jena and was driven away. Kenny felt empty and depressed. He climbed into Tracy’s car and they drove home in silence.

They went upstairs to their rooms and Kenny paused with his hand on his doorknob. He looked over at Tracy.

“Hey, Tracy?”

She stopped and looked back at him.

“Yeah?”

“Thanks for the ride.”

She smiled at him.

“You’re welcome.”

That reminded Kenny of another consideration.

“Hey, Tracy?”

“I’m still here.”

“They, um... they said I would need transportation on Friday night. I don’t suppose you could give me a ride?”

“Of course I will. I don’t want to see Maggie humiliated either -- and I’m not about to make you face this alone.”

“Thanks, sis.”

“No problem at all!”

Kenny turned to go to his room. He dropped his backpack on his desk chair, hung his coat on the back of his door and lay down on his bed to wallow. Tracy knocked on his door.

“Hey Kenny?”

“Yeah?”

“Come in my room for a sec?”

“Sure.”

He pushed himself up from his bed, and followed Tracy to her room.

“Have a seat on the bed.”

“Okay.”

Kenny made himself comfortable on the bed. Tracy closed the bedroom door and sat next to him.

“Kenny, are you really going to do whatever they tell you to on Friday?”

“Yes, I am,” Kenny answered without hesitation.

“No matter what they want you to do?”

He looked at his hands as he thought for a moment and Tracy waited for him to answer. He nodded.

“Yes, anything. I will do anything to save Maggie from this, even if we’re not friends anymore. Hell, I would walk naked down the middle of the fucking freeway if I thought it would save her. Saving Maggie is all I care about.”

He paused for a second and Tracy had no idea what to say. Kenny stared miserably out the window.

“I have no idea where I will be going on Friday night. For all I know they could be sending me out of town somewhere. I have no idea who I will be talking to, or what will happen to me. Still... I just plain don’t care. If I have to suffer so that Maggie doesn’t, then so be it. I’ll do it. That’s what real love is, you know.”

He looked back at Tracy.

“You’re right.” Tracy paused. “You know, Kenny, Maggie doesn’t know what she’s missing out on.”

Suddenly, Tracy’s face took on a look of resolve.

“You know what else?”

Kenny looked over at her.

“What?”

“I am going to drive you to Maggie’s house as soon as you’re done with whatever you’re doing on Friday night. We will sit on her front stairs until she opens the door and hears you out. Then she’ll understand. She has to!”

Tracy sounded hopeful.

“Um, Tracy?”

“Yeah?”

“I’ll still be wearing whatever they put in that duffle bag, you know!”

Tracy considered Kenny’s point for a moment.

“Well, it can only help your case to show Maggie what you had to wear to save her.”

“What if it’s something ridiculous?”

“Then it will make an even stronger case in your favor.”

“Hmm... I guess it would. Well, I’m going to wear whatever it is and go wherever they tell me to. If it helps Maggie, then I don’t care what I have to wear. I don’t care if it’s a neon green chicken suit. I don’t even care if someone points a gun in my face.”

* * * * *

Thursday came and went in a total blur. Maggie refused to talk to Kenny, making his day all the more dreary, not that Maggie’s appeared to be any better, judging by the looks on her face.

At lunchtime, he attempted to sit down with Maggie and Jena like he always did. Maggie saw him coming. With her face completely devoid of expression, Maggie gathered her lunch as though she were going to pick it up and move if Kenny sat down. Jena caught on quickly and did the same. Kenny stopped in his tracks and stared at Maggie until she glared at him and Jena gave him the finger. For the first time since he’d known Maggie and Jena, Kenny sat down at an empty table -- with his back to them. Luckily, Tracy noticed and joined him.

After trudging his way through the rest of his day, he rode home with Tracy again.

* * * * *

“Hello?”

“It’s me. Do you have the duffle bag ready?”

“Yeah, it’s ready. I found everything we needed. Do you have the envelope and the address?”

“Yes, they’re ready.”

“Okay. What time do you want to meet tomorrow?”

“7:30 am. I want to be sure we’re gone before Kenny gets there.”

“Okay, that’s probably a good idea. 7:30 am tomorrow at locker number 432?”

“Yeah. Do you have the key and padlock?”

“Yeah, I do.”

“Okay, then. We’re all set.”

“Tomorrow is going to be awesome!”

“I don’t think any of us will ever forget it!”

* * * * *

Friday was no better than Thursday. Maggie continued to avoid him and Kenny gave up trying. At lunch time, Kenny looked for Maggie and Jena only so that he could sit clear across the room from them. He didn’t bother to approach them.

He made the effort to concentrate in his classes but it was a lost cause. With each passing minute, he became more nervous about events to come.

Finally, his last class was finished. He wearily made his way to locker number 432 to find out what he would be wearing that night. Tracy met him at the locker. She remembered from the note that it was number 432. They found a padlock on the locker. Kenny pulled the key out of his backpack.

“I guess that’s what this key is for.”

“I guess. Are you ready for this?”

“Yeah. Sure.”

Kenny was clearly not ready but that was not going to stop him. He unlocked the locker and found a duffle bag -- and nothing else.

“What the fuck? Where are the envelope and the address?? I have to have the envelope and the address!!”

“The only place they could be is inside the duffle bag.”

Kenny glanced at Tracy.

“You’re right. They must be in there.”

Kenny started to unzip the duffle bag and stopped with his hand on the zipper. Slowly, he let go of the zipper and stared at the duffle bag.

“What is it, Kenny?”

“I’m not sure I want to know what I’m wearing tonight.”

“I can understand that. Allow me.”

Tracy unzipped the duffle bag.

“Here they are!”

“Thank God!”

Kenny was flooded with relief as Tracy took out a small manila envelope and a pink piece of paper with an address on it. She read the address and recited it to Kenny.

“749 Magnolia Terrace. I know where that is.”

“You do?”

“Yeah, it’s only about ten minutes from here. Good, that will give us more time to make you look right.”

“Yeah. Great. So what am I wearing tonight?”

Tracy looked at him for a moment and waited for a couple other students to pass before answering.

“Girls’ clothes.”

Kenny felt much better about his outfit for the evening, but not relieved.

“Well, it’s a hell of a lot better than a neon green chicken suit.”

Kenny seemed nervous about wearing the girls’ clothes, even though he had been wearing girls’ clothes for some time. Tracy picked up on it.

“Kenny are you feeling ready to...” She glanced around before continuing. “...to be yourself outside the house?”

“No, not at all, but I don’t care and it doesn’t matter. It’s the only way to save Maggie and I’m doing it.”

Kenny paused and looked up at Tracy.

“Take me home and dress me up. Let’s do this right.”

“Okay, let’s go.”

“Mr. James! Where do you think you’re going with that duffle bag?”

Kenny’s eyes flew wide open and he turned around to face the teacher who had just stopped him.

“Ms. Greenwich, it’s my duffle bag.”

“Oh, come now, Kenny, I saw you take it out of a locker which we both know is not yours.”

“But it is my duffle bag! Look!”

He quickly unzipped the duffle bag and he showed Ms. Greenwich his name written on the outside of the envelope.

“You would have me believe those are yours?”

Kenny looked where Ms. Greenwich was pointing and saw to his horror that the girls’ clothes were showing. Kenny gasped and Tracy put one hand over her mouth.

“I suppose it would explain your hair, Mr. James.”

Kenny stuffed the envelope back in the duffle bag and quickly zipped it shut. As he did so, he heard the sound of ripping paper.

Oh fuck!!”

Kenny shrieked in genuine horror as he gaped at the duffle bag.

“Kenny James! Report to my office in five minutes!”

Ms. Greenwich turned and stalked off toward her office.

“Like hell! Run, Tracy!”

They sprinted for the front door, ran for Tracy’s car, jumped in, and drove away with the tires screeching. While they drove, Kenny unzipped the duffle bag to find out what had torn.

“I hope I didn’t rip the envelope -- I’m not supposed to open it!”

Much to his relief, the envelope was intact.

“Thank God! The envelope’s fine.”

Kenny and Tracy shared a sigh of relief. Kenny found what had torn. It was the set of instructions they had put in the duffle bag.

“Here’s the next set of instructions. That’s what got ripped.”

“Uh oh, can you still read it?”

“Yeah, I think so.”

Kenny read them out loud for Tracy.

KENNY --

YOU ARE TO WEAR EVERYTHING IN THE DUFFLE BAG. YOU ARE TO SHAVE YOUR LEGS. YOU ARE TO PIERCE YOUR EARS. YOU ARE TO WEAR ALL OF THE FOLLOWING:

A NECKLACE, ANY STYLE
A PAIR OF EARRINGS, ANY STYLE
ONE RING, ANY STYLE
A GIRL’S WATCH
A PURSE, YOUR CHOICE
LIPSTICK, YOUR CHOICE
MASCARA, YOUR CHOICE
EYELINER, YOUR CHOICE
PERFUME, YOUR CHOICE
NAIL POLISH, YOUR CHOICE

BY NOW, YOU HAVE THE ADDRESS ON A PINK SLIP OF PAPER. YOU ARE TO SHOW UP AT THAT ADDRESS AT EXACTLY SIX O’CLOCK PM TONIGHT (FRIDAY NIGHT). YOU ARE TO HAVE ALL OF THE NOTES WE GAVE YOU IN YOUR PURSE WHEN YOU ARRIVE. YOU ARE TO RING THE DOORBELL. YOU ARE TO OPEN THE ENVELOPE AFTER YOU HAVE RUNG THE DOORBELL AND BEFORE THE DOOR IS ANSWERED. YOU ARE TO PLACE THE ENVELOPE IN THE PURSE BEFORE THE DOOR OPENS. YOU ARE TO DELIVER THE CONTENTS OF THE ENVELOPE TO WHOMEVER ANSWERS THE DOOR. YOU ARE TO POLITELY SAY, “HI. I’M JENNIE. THESE ARE FOR YOU.”

THERE WILL BE ONE FINAL INSTRUCTION IN THE ENVELOPE. YOU ARE TO COMPLETE THE FINAL INSTRUCTION BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING ELSE -- AND WE DO MEAN ANYTHING.

END OF MESSAGE

Tracy’s eyebrows went up.

“You have to have your ears pierced, eh?”

“Looks that way. Where do I do that?”

“There’s a place I know where they’ll do it for you, but...”

“What? Just say it. I’ll do it.”

“I was just wondering if you’d rather do it in boy mode or girl mode.”

“Hmmm. Girl mode. Can we do it on the way to this mystery address?”

“I don’t see why not.”

“Okay, then that’s the plan.”

Tracy parked her car in front of their house and they went inside.

“What time is it?”

“Four o’clock. You’d better get moving. Hop in the shower and shave your legs. I have some shaving lotion in there. Use it.”

“Okay!”

Kenny handed her the duffle bag.

“I’ll put the outfit on my bed. Come on in when you’re done.”

“Gotcha.”

Kenny went into the bathroom and turned on the shower. He noticed a shower cap and he carefully put it on over his hair. There was no time for blow drying. He found Tracy’s shaving lotion and noticed, to his delight, that it smelled lightly of lavender. He didn’t have much leg hair to shave and he finished in no time. He quickly bathed himself using Tracy’s body wash just to be on the safe side. The body wash smelled of lavender, like the shaving cream. Kenny found the fragrance of lavender relaxed him -- and he needed all of the relaxation he could get.

Kenny finished his shower, dried himself off and wrapped the towel around himself just under his armpits. He dropped his clothes in the hamper and went to Tracy’s room.

“Okay, let’s get me dressed.”

He looked at Tracy’s bed and saw his outfit for the night laid out on the bedspread. He saw a knee-length denim skirt, a black leather belt, a lavender turtleneck shirt, a purple sweater, two packages of off-white sheer pantyhose, a pair of panties, a bra, a pair of black girls’ shoes and a lavender headband.

“I guess, in a nut shell, they want you dressed as a girl and looking convincing.”

“I don’t think we’ll have any trouble with that. Let me put on the panties and bra.”

“Okay.”

Kenny went back to the bathroom, hung up the towel, and slipped on the satin bra and matching pair of panties. They felt wonderfully smooth. He walked back to Tracy’s room. She was giggling at him.

“What?”

“I was just thinking that it’s a damn good thing Mom is away this week. I don’t think either of us wants her to see you like that just yet.”

Kenny cracked a smile.

“Good point! Okay, let me put on my nylons.”

Kenny carefully picked up the nylons and began to slip them on. Kenny loved the feeling of the nylons against his freshly shaven legs.

“I guess the other pair is just in case, huh?”

“Yeah, you’d better bring them along in case you get a run.”

“Okay, hand me the skirt and turtle neck, please. Oh, the belt, too.”

Kenny put on those pieces of his outfit smoothly and easily. He reached for the shoes and put them on so that he wouldn’t damage the nylons.

“Let’s get your nail polish done. Have a seat at my vanity.”

“Okay.”

Kenny sat down on the white stool and held out his hands. Tracy painted his nails a shade of purple that matched his sweater. Then she grabbed her hair dryer and dried them. Kenny slipped on the sweater and Tracy applied the mandatory makeup. She picked out a necklace and a ring for Kenny and put them on him. She gave him an old watch of hers with a black leather band and a faux gold dial. Kenny slipped it onto his left wrist and made sure the time was set properly. Tracy put the headband on Kenny and adjusted it.

“Okay, Kenny. You’re done, except for the earrings.”

“You might as well call me Jennie.”

“Oh, good idea. Do you have the envelope and the address?”

“Yes. Here’s the envelope and the address is--”

Jennie looked around for the pink slip of paper with the address but she couldn’t find it.

“Oh shit, where is it?”

Jennie began to panic.

“It’s all right, sis. I remember the address. 749 Magnolia Terrace.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes, I’m sure.”

Jennie felt a measure of relief.

“Thank God. Fuck, this day just gets better and better.”

“Well it’s going to end with a good long talk between you and Maggie, right?”

“Damn straight it is!”

“Okay, are you ready?”

“Uh, yes, where’s my purse?”

“Oh, I almost forgot about that. Here...”

Tracy grabbed a purse from her closet and held it open for Kenny while he deposited the envelope and the notes he had received from whoever was doing this. The purse had a shoulder strap and Kenny hung it over his right shoulder.

“You should keep these with you just in case.”

Tracy placed the cosmetics she’d used on Kenny into an inside pocket in the purse and zipped the pocket shut.

“Oh, let me grab my extra nylons.”

Jennie grabbed the spare package of nylons and put it in the purse.

“Okay, Tracy. How do I look?”

“You look great. Come over to the mirror.”

They walked over and stood before Tracy’s full-length mirror.

“Wow. I look cute!”

“You look adorable! Are you ready?”

“No. Let’s go! I don’t want to be late!”

“Yeah, me either. Let’s go. Oh, wait!”

“What?”

Tracy grabbed a small bottle of perfume off of her dresser and spritzed Kenny with it.

“Now you’re done. Let’s go!”

* * * * *

The tattoo parlor was where Tracy had had the second and third holes done on her ears. The place was not crowded on a Friday evening. Jennie supposed that people would rather be out having fun than in there getting new holes poked in their bodies. Jennie did not have to wait long for her turn.

She went into a small room where a man with large earrings and a nose ring put on a pair of purple rubber gloves and swabbed Jennie’s lobes with alcohol. He carefully marked the spots where he would be piercing Jennie’s ears. Then he handed her a mirror so that she could decide if she liked the placement. She decided that she did -- which was a damn good thing since she was pressed for time.

The man with the nose ring picked up a sterilized needle and pierced Jennie’s right ear. Then he slid a gold stud through the hole. When he was done, he repeated the process with her other lobe. Finally, he picked up everything he had used and threw it away -- even the pen he’d used to mark Jennie’s earlobes. He handed Jennie the mirror again and for the first time she looked into a mirror and saw herself wearing real earrings. She couldn’t help smiling. She briefly gave her approval to the man with the nose ring and he gave her a bottle of cleaning fluid to keep her earrings clean. He also instructed her on how to properly care for her newly pierced ears. When he was done, he escorted her back out to the front where Tracy was waiting for her. Tracy smiled at Jennie and told her she looked cute. Then Tracy paid for the piercing job, which was surprisingly affordable, and they left for the mystery address. Jennie was still smiling, even after they got back into the car

* * * * *

Fifteen minutes later, they pulled up in front of a pale blue house with a front yard full of flowers.

“Well, Kenny -- I mean, Jennie -- this is it. 749 Magnolia Terrace.”

Jennie had no idea whose house it was.

“Yup. This is it. I wonder who the hell lives here.”

“I don’t know. Let’s find out. Do you want me to come up to the door with you?”

“Ummmm, let’s see...” Jennie removed the notes from her purse and scanned them. “Well, they didn’t say you can’t, so yes, please do come up with me.”

Jennie returned the notes to her purse.

“Okay.”

Tracy shut off the engine and they got out. Jennie’s heart began racing. As they approached the door, Jennie removed the envelope from her purse as she joked, “The envelope, please!” When they reached the front door, Jennie took one last deep breath. Then she rang the doorbell, opened the envelope and deposited the envelope in her purse, as instructed. The contents of the envelope puzzled Jennie. She was now holding a small, black velvet bag and a recordable DVD that obviously had something recorded on it. There was a note attached on a post-it that said:

YOU ARE TO WATCH THIS VIDEO WITH WHOEVER ANSWERS THE DOOR OR ELSE!

“I guess that’s the last instruction. I hope the naked picture isn’t on that DVD!”

Jennie’s nerves were steadily rising.

“Yeah, me too. Well, here they come!”

“Okay, here goes everything.”

The front door opened and Jennie found herself face to face with--

“Maggie??”

Maggie was silent for a moment. Jennie abruptly remembered her line.

“Oh, I-I mean hi, I’m Jennie. These are for you.”

Jennie held out the DVD and the velvet bag -- but Maggie didn’t take them. She folded her arms across her chest.

“What in the fuck are you doing here -- and dressed like that?”

The other five girls who had been invited came to the door, crowded around Maggie and giggled at Jennie. Jena muscled her way to the front of the pack.

“I think you’ve done enough, don’t you?”

Jennie looked at the DVD for a moment and sighed.

“Maggie, I dressed like this for you! I even had my ears pierced for you because they told me I had to. I’m doing all of this for you, so for the love of God, will you please just watch the stupid video? Something nasty is going to happen to you if you don’t and there is absolutely no way I’ll be able to stop it.”

Maggie remained still and silent, staring at Jennie -- but not quite glaring. Jennie’s frustration was mounting to the point of being intolerable and she began ranting and raving.

“Maggie, I voluntarily dressed like this and went to an address I had never heard of to deliver something sealed in an envelope I wasn’t allowed to open until I got there. I had no idea what would happen to me -- and believe you me, I had some really nasty visions run through my head, like being kidnapped or molested or killed -- but I still came. I got busted on my way out of school because Ms. Greenwich thinks I stole the duffle bag that had these clothes in it because she saw me take it out of somebody else’s locker -- a locker where they said I had to pick up the duffle bag, this little black bag and this DVD. Ms. Greenwich told me to report to her office but I took off as soon as her back was turned and got myself in even more trouble so that I could be here risking my life for all I knew so that you could be spared from the worst humiliation that I can think of. I think you owe it to me to watch this with me!”

Finally, Maggie’s facial expression softened. Maggie’s sister Jill made her way to the front of the crowd at her front door.

Jill and Tracy looked at each other and nodded. Naturally, Maggie noticed. Jill spoke first.

“Maggie, hon, you really need to watch that video.”

“Yeah, Maggie you really do want to see what’s on there,” Tracy copped to her complicity.

“What the fuck is going on, you two? Do you know who is behind this?”

“Watch the goddamn video!” Tracy and Jill said it unison and everyone laughed, including Maggie.

“Okay, I’ll watch the video. Follow me, everyone.”

Everyone came back inside and Jill closed the door behind them. She had the option of using her computer to view the DVD privately, but she decided to use the DVD player in the basement so that everyone could watch the video.

They processed down the stairs and got comfortable while Maggie fed the DVD into the machine and turned everything on. She sat down on the couch, sighed, and looked over at Jennie.

“Come and sit with me.”

Jennie’s face betrayed her hope of salvaging their friendship as she got up and sat down next to Maggie. The DVD began to play and Tracy and Jill appeared on the TV screen.

“What the-- ?? You two were behind this??”

Maggie glanced at her sister as the video began. Jill motioned for Maggie to watch the TV screen. On it, the On-Screen-Jill took the lead.

“Hi everyone. We’re guessing that you’re all sitting in the basement right about now. We really hope that we haven’t killed the friendship between Maggie and Jennie. We never wanted that to happen.”

On-Screen-Jill paused for a moment.

“We’ll start with a confession. We wrote a very threatening note that we left unsigned and placed in Kenny’s locker on Wednesday. The note mentions a full frontal naked photo of Maggie, but that photo does not exist. We made it up. Jennie please take the note out of your purse so that Maggie can read it.”

Maggie paused the video and waited as Jennie pulled out the note and gave it to her. Maggie read it aloud and as she did, she became emotional. When she was done she let her hands fall to her lap and looked at Jennie.

“That was why you wouldn’t tell me?”

Jennie’s eyes began to water.

“Yes! I had no idea who was behind this until now and there was obviously no way in hell I could stop whomever it was from emailing this naked photo to everyone at school -- and maybe even posting it on the internet! The only thing I could possibly do to help you was to follow the instructions and not tell you anything. I’m so sorry that I hurt you, Maggie.”

Jennie was sobbing and Maggie embraced him warmly.

“Oh, Jennie, I’m finally starting to see that it wasn’t you who hurt me.”

Maggie glowered at her sister as she resumed the video. On-Screen-Tracy took over.

“I’m sure that by now, you’re wondering what possessed us to do this.”

“Yeah, no shit!” Maggie spat. On the screen, Jill and Tracy exchanged glances.

“The answer is that Maggie and Jennie have been in love with each other for years and neither one knows. We will leave it to the two of you to explain why not.”

Maggie paused the video again and gaped at Jennie, who was staring at Maggie with astonishment.

“Maggie? Is that really true?”

Tears began to spill from Jennie’s eyes.

“Yes! It’s very true!”

Maggie threw her arms around Jennie and Jennie embraced her lovingly.

“You really feel the same way?”

“Yes, I really do! You have no idea!”

“Why didn’t you say something?”

“I almost did at your twelfth birthday. I bought you a ring with a heart on it. I was going to give it to you and tell you that I loved you.”

“Why didn’t you, Jennie?”

Jennie looked around the room and gazed into Maggie’s eyes.

“Maggie, this isn’t the first time I’ve dressed as a girl. I’ve done this many times because I love to. On the night I bought that ring, Tracy dressed me up as a girl for about the hundred millionth time, and that was when I figured out that I am a girl. When that happened I thought sure that I didn’t have a chance with you,” Jennie sobbed, “but I couldn’t part with that ring. I kept it in my desk drawer and pulled it out to look at it every once in a while. Every time I did, it made me cry because I still love you.”

“Awww!”

Maggie wiped a tear from Jennie’s eye.

“So you’re transgendered, huh?”

Maggie smiled at him.

“Yes, I am. My body is still a boy but my heart, mind and soul are all girl.”

“I kind of suspected that.”

Maggie ran her fingers through Jennie’s long hair. That relaxed Jennie a bit!

“I mean, your hair is part of it, but you’re nothing like any of the boys I know.”

“That is very true.”

Jennie smiled at her.

“Well, Jennie, it turns out that I’m bisexual, so you never had to worry about me not being interested.”

“Really? So how come you never told me how you felt?”

“I don’t know, really. I guess at first, I waited for you to make the move and when you didn’t, I figured you weren’t interested. Otherwise, I would have made the move.”

They put their arms around each other and Maggie resumed the video. On-Screen-Tracy continued to speak.

“Now, let us tell you why we had Jennie dress up as a girl. It was to show Jennie that Maggie loves her just the way she is and it was to show Maggie what Jennie is willing to do for her because she loves her so much. There’s a part of it that Jennie has to explain, though. Jennie has probably told her secret by now, but it’s not our place to explain this part.”

Maggie paused it again.

“What does she mean, Jennie?”

“This is the first time I’ve ever left my house as a girl -- and I was not ready for that at all. I came out early for you.”

“Awwwwww!”

Maggie’s heart was warmed and she hugged Jennie again. She resumed the video, and they sat back on the couch cuddled together with their arms around each other.
On-Screen-Tracy continued.

“Speaking of which. We are about to show some clips that I shot of Jennie over the last couple of days. These clips were actually not part of the original plan, but when Maggie and Kenny got into that big fight in the middle of the dining room, we thought we might have killed their friendship, and so I came up with this to try to save it.”

The video showed a series of clips of On-Screen-Kenny, sitting on Tracy’s bed and talking to On-Screen-Tracy.

“Kenny, are you really going to do whatever they tell you to on Friday?”

“Yes, I am,” he answered without hesitation.

“No matter what they want you to do?”

On-Screen-Kenny looked at his hands as he thought for a moment and On-Screen-Tracy waited for him to answer. He sighed heavily.

“Yes, no matter what they want me to do. I will do anything to save Maggie from this, even if we’re not friends anymore. Hell, I would walk naked down the middle of the fucking freeway if I thought it would save her. Saving Maggie is all I care about.”

On-Screen-Kenny paused for a second and On-Screen-Tracy appeared to wait for him to continue. On-Screen-Kenny stared miserably out the window.

“I have no idea where I will be going on Friday night. For all I know they could be sending me out of town somewhere. I have no idea who I will be talking to, or what will happen to me. Still... I just plain don’t care. If I have to suffer so that Maggie doesn’t, then so be it. I’ll do it. That’s what real love is, you know.”

Maggie’s eyes began to leak as she looked at Jennie. The video skipped to the next clip, and On-Screen-Kenny re-appeared, still sitting on Tracy’s bed.

“Well, I’m going to wear whatever it is and go wherever they tell me to. If it helps Maggie, then I don’t care what I have to wear. I don’t care if it’s a neon green chicken suit.”

Everyone giggled.

“I don’t even care if someone points a gun in my face.”

The giggling was silenced. Maggie’s jaw slowly dropped. On-Screen-Jill took over.

“Well, there you have it. Maggie, you know by now that Kenny is innocent of this, so please don’t be mad at him.”

“You mean, she.”

“Yeah!”

“Well, that’s all! Bye!”

Maggie stopped the video and hugged Jennie.

“Oh, Jennie--”

“Excuse me, Maggie?”

Jill interrupted, holding up another DVD.

“Sorry, but there’s another DVD to watch. We shot it on Friday afternoon after we already put the first DVD in the duffle bag. Jennie, you have the note that was in the duffle bag. Please hand it to Maggie while I feed this DVD into the machine.”

“Okay.”

While Jill did that, Jennie pulled out the note and passed it to Maggie, who read it aloud.

“Wow, Jennie, you were telling the truth about everything you said at the front door.”

Jennie’s eyes began to overflow.

“Oh, Maggie, I would never, ever lie to you!”

“I’m sorry I doubted you, Jennie.”

Maggie reached up and wiped the tears from Jennie’s eyes. Jill started up the second video and On-Screen-Kenny and On-Screen-Tracy could be seen standing before locker number 432. On-Screen-Kenny was the first to speak.

“So what am I wearing tonight?”

On-Screen-Tracy looked at him for a moment and waited for a couple other students to pass before answering.

“Girls’ clothes.”

On-Screen-Kenny appeared slightly less nervous.

“Well, it’s a hell of a lot better than a neon green chicken suit.”

The live audience giggled again. On-Screen-Kenny looked nervous. On-Screen-Tracy spoke next.

“Kenny, are you feeling ready to...”

On-Screen-Tracy looked around for a moment.

“...to be yourself outside the house?”

“No, not at all, but I don’t care and it doesn’t matter. It’s the only way to save Maggie and I’m doing it.”

On-Screen-Kenny paused and looked up at On-Screen-Tracy.

“Take me home and dress me up. Let’s do this right.”

“Okay, let’s go.”

“Mr. James! Where do you think you’re going with that duffle bag?”

On-Screen-Kenny’s eyes flew wide open and he turned around as On-Screen-Ms.-Greenwich approached with her hands on her hips.

“Ms. Greenwich, it’s my duffle bag.”

“Oh, come now, Kenny, I saw you take it out of a locker which we both know is not yours.”

“But it is my duffle bag! Look!”

On-Screen-Kenny quickly unzipped the duffle bag and he showed On-Screen-Ms. Greenwich his name written on the outside of the envelope.

“You would have me believe those are yours?”

On-Screen-Kenny looked where On-Screen-Ms. Greenwich was pointing and saw that the girls’ clothes were showing. He gasped and On-Screen-Tracy put one hand over her mouth.

“I suppose it would explain your hair, Mr. James.”

On-Screen-Kenny stuffed the envelope back in the duffle bag and quickly zipped it shut. As he did so, the sound of ripping paper could be heard. He gaped at the duffle bag.

“Oh fuck!!”

Everyone roared with laughter.

“Kenny James! Report to my office in five minutes!”

On-Screen-Ms. Greenwich turned and stalked off toward her office.

“Like hell! Run, Tracy!”

The video was over. Maggie hugged Jennie tightly for a moment, choked up, and managed to speak.

“So, you got in trouble and outed to Ms. Greenwich for me?”

“I’m not sure if I was outed -- Ms. Greenwich probably still thinks I stole the duffle bag. Of course, why I would steal a bag full of girls’ clothes? Oh shit! Maybe I was outed! Well, anyway, I did it all for you, yes.”

“You were really prepared to suffer so that I wouldn’t?”

Jennie stared at Maggie.

“Yes, Maggie. I would have done anything for you. I meant everything I said in those videos. Every word!”

Maggie began to cry and she squeezed Jennie. Jennie silently held her for a moment, gently stroking her hair. She motioned for Tracy or Jill to grab some tissues for Maggie and Jill brought over a box of tissues.

“I don’t know what to say. Thank you, Jennie.”

“You’re very welcome! Oh!”

Jennie realized that she was still holding the small, black velvet bag. She glanced down at it and looked back into Maggie’s eyes as she pulled away and held it out to her.

“This is for you.”

Maggie took it with a smile on her face. She loosened the draw string that held the little bag shut and pulled out a silver ring that was decorated with a heart-shaped cubic zirconium stone in a silver, heart-shaped setting.

“Oh, Jennie, it’s beautiful!”

Jennie stared at the ring in utter astonishment.

“Oh, my God!”

“What?”

“That’s the ring I bought you for your twelfth birthday!”

“Oh, Jennie! I love it! I love you!”

Jennie’s eyes watered as she looked back at Maggie. Maggie smiled at Jennie lovingly for a moment and slid the ring on her left ring finger. She softly touched Jennie’s face and Jennie kissed her full on the lips. Some of the other girls in the room began cat calling but Jill silenced them. For a few moments, nobody spoke and Maggie and Jennie silently held each other. Jennie realized that there was one more thing bothering her.

“Maggie?”

“Yes?”

Jennie paused for a moment then she pulled back far enough to look Maggie in the eyes.

“Why couldn’t you trust me?”

She searched Maggie’s eyes for the answer. Jennie began to tear up as she relived her pain.

“Oh, Jennie, you were hurt, too, weren’t you?”

“Yes, it really hurt. We’ve been friends for such a long time and I couldn’t understand.”

“Well, what happened was that I figured, you know, if your child was kidnapped and the kidnappers told you not to tell the police, well, you would anyway. I knew that some asshole forbade you to tell me anything but I couldn’t understand why you wouldn’t tell me anyway and I couldn’t figure out why we wouldn’t be able to do something about it.”

“Now I understand! I don’t blame you.”

“Oh, sweetie, I’m so sorry I hurt you.”

Jennie smiled at her and hugged her.

“Don’t be. You are one hundred percent victim here.”

“So are you,” Maggie replied.

Jill and Tracy approached them.

“We’re really sorry, you guys. We never meant for your relationship to be strained to the breaking point.”

“Yeah, we didn’t foresee that. We just wanted to hook you two up.”

“Well, it worked. I mean, I won’t ever like the idea of Maggie being hurt, but I guess this was worth it -- if it was worth it for you, Maggie.”

“It was definitely worth it. As for you two,” she glanced at her sister, “you owe us. Big.”

“You’re right, we do.”

“Jill, I want you to make sure our parents do not come down here for the rest of the night.”

“Okay.”

“And you!” Maggie looked at Tracy and back at Jennie.

“What do you think, Jennie? What are we going to do with her?”

Tracy began to look a bit nervous.

Jennie smiled at Maggie and looked at Tracy.

“We want pizza -- for everyone. Get us some and we’ll call it even.”

Everyone giggled and cheered.

“Okay, you deserve it. What would you like on it?”

They gave their order to Tracy, who turned to call the nearest pizzeria. Jena came up to Jennie.

“Hi, Jennie. I’m sorry I called you a fucking asshole and I’m sorry I treated you the way I did. Are we friends again?”

“It’s okay, Jena. Of course we’re friends again. Tracy and Jill are the bad guys here.”

Jennie gave Jena a hug -- but there was one other detail, which of course, did not escape Maggie.

“Oh, by the way, you two, you are to speak with Ms. Greenwich first thing Monday morning and get Jennie out of trouble or else!”

“Don’t worry, we will!”

* * * * *

Monday morning came, and Kenny found herself standing before the bathroom mirror, staring at her new earrings. Tracy knocked on the bathroom door to check on her.

“Are you okay, little sister?”

Kenny sighed.

“Yes and no. I don’t want to take out my earrings, but at school...”

“Say no more! One moment, please!”

Tracy went back to her room and returned with one hand behind her back.

“Erm, what have you got there, Tracy?”

Tracy held out a pair of peace symbol studs.

“Hey, those just might work!”

“I picked them out while you were getting your ears pierced. We’ll worry about Mom when she gets home tomorrow night. For now, I’ll help you switch your earrings.”

“Thanks, Tracy! You’re the best!”

Kenny gave her a big hug. Minutes later, Kenny was wearing the pair of peace symbol studs and smiling -- although she did like the feminine gold ball studs a bit more. Kenny felt ready to face the return to school.

Alas, no sooner did Kenny walk into the school building with Maggie on his arm -- and Tracy and Jill in tow -- than Ms. Greenwich appeared, blocking their path with her arms folded.

“Mr. James! You are in deep trouble, mister! You are to come to my office -- right now!”

Kenny’s face turned pale again.

“Yes, Ms. Greenwich.”

Kenny and Maggie looked at each other and followed Ms. Greenwich to her office with Tracy and Jill right behind them. When they arrived at Ms. Greenwich’s office, Maggie and Kenny let go of each other. Kenny walked into the office and Ms. Greenwich was about to close the door when Tracy stopped her.

“Ms. Greenwich, wait!”

Ms. Greenwich turned around and glowered at Tracy.

“This had better be good, young lady!”

“Kenny is innocent! It’s all our fault,” Tracy gestured to Jill. “Please don’t punish Kenny!”

Ms. Greenwich looked back and forth among the four students before her.

“All of you -- in my office, right now. Make yourselves comfortable!”

Ms. Greenwich closed her door behind them and sat down behind her desk.

“Now then, Ms. James.”

“Yes?”

Kenny and Tracy answered in perfect unison. Kenny clapped her hand over her mouth and everyone in the room -- save for Ms. Greenwich -- began giggling.

“Well, now! Was I right about your hair, and those clothes -- and those earrings, Kenny James?”

Kenny took a deep breath.

“Yes, Ms. Greenwich. I grew my hair this long so that I would look like a girl. The girls’ clothes in the duffle bag were part of a scheme that Tracy and Jill launched against Maggie and I, and I did put them on, but I had no problem with that -- and it was nowhere near the first time I dressed like a girl.”

“Hmmm. I’ll get back to that in a minute. Are you saying that the duffle bag was not, in fact, stolen?”

“Yes, Ms. Greenwich, it--”

“Let me take this one, Kenny?”

“Okay, Tracy. Thanks.”

“I owe you after what we did.”

“Do tell, Tracy James.”

Tracy described her scheme with Jill to get Maggie and Kenny hooked up.

“If you check the school records, you will find that the locker from which Kenny pulled the duffle bag is unused.”

“Well, well.” Ms. Greenwich thought for a moment. “It seems that you did not steal that duffle bag after all, and placing it in an unused locker is not a breach of any school rule that I am aware of.”

She looked at Kenny.

“However, Kenny, you did leave the school on Friday after I specifically asked you to report to my office.”

Kenny looked crestfallen.

“But given the duress you were obviously under, I’m willing to let that go on one condition.”

Kenny felt hope!
“Please name it,” she encouraged Ms. Greenwich.

“I will keep it between us if you agree to begin seeing a therapist who specializes in gender issues. It seems such a course of action is well overdue.”

“I’m sorry, Ms. Greenwich? Overdue?”

“Transgendered persons such as yourself seek out the help of a gender specialist so that they can be sure that they understand themselves and if so, to begin taking hormones, and in some cases, transition into womanhood. That, however, does depend on what you and your specialist feel is the right course of action. Do you follow?”

“Oh, yes, Ms. Greenwich. I agree to that, of course!”

Ms. Greenwich smiled at him.

“All right then. I will consider this matter settled, but I want you to report back to me within thirty days to let me know that you have begun therapy.”

“I will, Ms. Greenwich! Thank you!”

“You’re welcome... Ms. James.”

Ms. Greenwich smiled at Kenny, who beamed at being referred to as Ms. James.

“You are all dismissed. Don’t be late for class!”

Maggie reached over and hugged Jennie, who gladly reciprocated.

“My, my, I take it that your scheme worked?”

“It certainly did!”

Kenny smiled as he and Maggie left Ms. Greenwich’s office arm in arm and walked down the school hallway.

[ Other Stories By Mona Lisa ]

up
84 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Note To Kenny

Is a good story of friendship and the price to pay. Would any of us do what Kennny did for Maggie?
May Your Light Forever Shine

    Stanman
May Your Light Forever Shine

Nope

I would have informed school admin so they could take down or screen the email broadcaster; then told Maggie that somebody apparently had pictures of her naked, and she needed to contact the police ASAP. IF the school admin hadn't already called them.

Any other course of action is just plain stupid. There are several felony criminal acts committed here, with possible Federal charges.

KJT


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Another nice sweet story!

I just love these romantic stories by Mona Lisa. "Blackmail" was a nice twist and all in all it had some nice turns.

Thank you for the story,
Sissy Baby Paula and Snowball (my toy puppy)

Worth Reading

I almost bailed on the plot. The plan and extortion note just seemed a bit too complicated and convoluted. I don't like it when a plot needs that much "pushing" to get going.

However, there's some really sweet stuff in there, and on balance it was worth sticking with. How the individual reader will react to this is likely to depend on how much they like happy endings!

Very good

I don't always like school-age stories but this is a gem. I do like romances, though, and this was a very well crafted, edge-of-seat tale which immediately drew me in.

With a very clever plot and every word counting, you have a winner here.

Thank you so much.

Susie

The BlackMail Portion

of this story really really bothers me. It's a sign that those people are not truly friends - not ones I would want around me. Friends just do NOT do that to one another. I know it would destroy the plot premise of this story if it were removed - I'm sorry. I could never be friends with people that did that to me.

The dialogue and the rest of the story read fine and was enjoyable to me.

 

    Sephrena Lynn Miller
BigCloset TopShelf

Betrayed

By his sister and a friend. What would those two rocket scientists had done if Maggie had slammed the door in "Jennie's" face? Or if Jennie had panicked and bolted when he realized he was being outed in front of Maggie and her friends. Either reaction would have been a normal one for a teen. If Tracy really cared about her brother, then she should have sat the two down and talked frankly to them. The same with Jill & Maggie. Very seldom, if ever, does the end justify the means.

I couldn't help but wonder, if Kenny was so enamored of this perfect person, Maggie, didn't he wonder how somebody could have gotten full-frontal nude pictures of her without her knowledge?

Minor points: Any school I've ever attended had rules that students are prohibited from accessing any place they have not been given permission to enter, and that would include "unused" lockers. And any teacher in the schools I attended wouldn't have told the teens to meet in her office, she would have confiscated the bag and escorted the students to the office, under "detention" so to speak. Maggie and Kenny have been friends since kindergarten and yet he didn't know her address, not even the street name?

Too much suspension of disbelief required here, sorry.

KJT

Edited for spelling and content. KJT


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

I Agree

jengrl's picture

I do find it rather hard to swallow that Kenny and Maggie would not have known each other's address after being friends that long. I would also be pretty angry with my sisters for nearly causing a lifelong friendship to be destroyed while trying to pull off a stunt like that. Jennie and Maggie should make their sisters sweat a little. I know I would not have been as forgiving even if everything turned out okay. Toying with emotions is a very dangerous thing. I wonder what would have happened if everything had backfired and they would have ruined the friendship? Ms. Greenwich might not have been as forgiving either. If the notes had fallen into the hands of the administration then they might have faced charges for bullying. Even though this plot worked out, I don't think I would ever do something like this in real life.

Jenn

PICT0013_1_0.jpg

It worked...

I was REALLY close to closing down the story with the threat and then the two breaking up... I gave it a few more lines and you provided some redemption.

All told, I enjoyed the story, but you have one EVIL muse to come up with this one!

Thanks,

Annette

I'm glad I had a chance to

Lynda shermer's picture

I'm glad I had a chance to read this before it was removed. Thank you for writing it, and may your future be at least pleasant.

Latest_me.jpgLynda Shermer