Room in Hell chapter 23.

Printer-friendly version

Turns out the next morning wasn't any better than yesterday. Oh, there were no more demon attacks yesterday, but I had been on call for the first time ever while off shift. I was beginning to get an idea of what a grind my forced job could be, even above and beyond all the training. But it wasn't my day off, and Grex was tickling my feet.

Why was Grex tickling my feet?

“Grex, what are you doing here, exactly? I didn't call for you.” I know I hadn't called for him.

“You did not, but our contract did. You were in some danger, so I came as required.”

He was still tickling my feet, so I kicked them out but missed him. At least it forced him to stop. The grin was a little much, though.

“Where's my coffee?” If he was waking me up, he better have my coffee.

“In the kitchen, of course.” Grex was a smartass.

“Grex, go make me some coffee, the way I prefer it.” He left; that should keep him from doing something weird to it. A look at the clock showed the alarm was off – and I was twenty minutes late.

Where was Karen? Normally she woke me up by now. I was going to be late for work, which given the amount of scrutiny I was currently under wouldn't be good for me. Or maybe I was just being too paranoid. I really did feel terrible, though; I needed more sleep or something.

I sped up time to shower, dress, and brush my hair; even covering the shower water it was easy. Maybe even easier than it should have been. I made it into the kitchen to find a mug waiting at my usual spot, and Grex nursing one of his own across from me.

“Alright Grex, now explain; why am I in danger?”

He grinned at me again. “Not am, were. There are multiple demons about, my master. Therefore, you are in danger, even here, no matter how slight. You were also having certain… problems with your power last night; it was fluctuating. I was therefore bound to check in, don't you agree?”

If he wasn't lying to me (and he couldn't, I had to remind myself of that) then his presence made sense, but it felt like a stretch. I couldn't call the apartment safe at all, but it was probably the safest place for a summoner in a city. I could deal with a bit of mother hen hovering; I might even make some jokes about it later; the other comment was a bit more worrying.

“Problems with my power? Like what?”

Grex tapped his ear, so I checked mine. They were clear, felt normal to me, but maybe the fact that they were missing the earrings he gave me was the problem. He wanted me to wear them at all times, even sleeping, and I'd been humoring him. I hadn't ripped an earlobe off yet, so I counted that as a win.

“I went to sleep with them, like normal. No idea where they are now.”

He nodded. “I have them; I had to take them off in order to siphon some unregulated power from you properly; I couldn't use the method I'd used before.”

Well, that was a little surprising. “Why not?”

I knew right away he was going to evade the question.

“I cannot say.” I hate being right.

Whatever. “Fine, so when can I get my earrings back? They weren't on the nightstand.”

He got up, marched the two steps required, and pulled them from his pocket. I stopped him.

“Get the peroxide; I've no idea what else has been in those pockets.”

He smirked but complied.

“Has Karen been here?”

“Not today.” Grex yelled back from the bathroom.

I really didn't have much time at all, even with all the time I'd just saved. I grabbed a granola bar and chewed mechanically while Grex put the earrings back where he'd found them.

Once he was done I grabbed my robe and threw it on, racing out the door; I could clean up later. Grex was right behind me. The apartment building was pretty empty; even more than normal for the early hour. I barely had to dodge anyone. Even the lobby and coffee shop was light on people; barely fifteen between the two.

The day was nice; bright, sunny, and balmy with just a hint of heat and a nice breeze. I kept the windows down as I drove, and Grex leaned out his window with his tongue out like a dog most of the way, to the amusement of kids and adults alike. If only they knew.

I pulled into my reserved space and took the elevator up with a good ten minutes to spare; who knew that simply speeding up a shower and getting dressed could save more time than speeding up my commute could? It was kind of unreal; I'd need to watch it, I could easily become lazy.

The office was humming with activity. Magilla, who had arms about like one would expect from the name, hair and all, was using an honest to God typewriter to type out reports. From what I could tell, he was doing it badly. It didn't look like he was getting ready to go out, so that honor was probably mine. The other members of my team were all present and accounted for. They all looked at me as I came in.

Sitting at my desk was the written order sending me out today. I was supposed to be given a day at the office after one of patrolling, especially after demonic contact, but with Charlie laid up that plan was apparently out the window.

At least it meant I wouldn't have to figure out what happened to the documents that were supposed to be in my inbox; the last time it was empty, an enterprising summoner (no one told me exactly who) had made them all paper airplanes and sailed them around the room. Repeatedly; for hours.

Coffee got plunked down onto my desk; there was Karen, coming from nowhere as usual. She even had the grace to look a little apologetic.

“Sorry, I got called in early to help shuffle staff around. Got everything handled, but you're still going out again.”

I very carefully did not think any jinxing thoughts. The coffee was delivered; I think it was from the coffee shop I'd stopped in from my first encounter. Karen's next jibe when she noticed me noticing confirmed it.

“The delivery guy volunteered to come to the station; according to the desk sergeant, he kept looking around for his 'silver haired goddess'.”

Grex stifled a laugh behind me.

I took a sip; the brew was acceptable; a bit strong for me normally, but I needed it today.

“Alright, So long as Magilla files my reports from yesterday, I'm good with going out.”

Magilla shot me the look of the betrayed as Karen agreed, and I headed back down to the garage. My team would join me soon enough. Grex followed. As for Magilla, well, I knew what he did with my glue; and he deserved the payback.

“Am I still in danger, Grex?”

His response did not surprise me. “Most certainly, my mistress.”

He was probably being overprotective. I hoped he was.

I didn't have to wait long, but long enough to realize I'd forgotten my pad today. I almost sent Grex home for it, but I knew whatever travel method he used wouldn't be instant, so my phone would have to do; something was up, and I wanted my back watched. The team filed down, all present and accounted for and uninjured. Conner slapped a new radio unit into my hand as I climbed in the transport first, Grex on my heels.

It really was new; it still had that new tech shine to it. I set it up after belting in, and we were off.

“No pad today?”

“No such luck, Culling. Forgot it at home.”

Conner grinned. “Cords is going to be crushed! I bet he had some sort of thing all set up for you.”

I think I managed to control my blush. “Well if there was something, I don't know about it. I was supposed to be pushing papers today.”

Judge grimaced. “Don't remind me; so was I, and I think I got some extra.”

Probably from West and Dolph, who weren't in any shape to do their own. Best to avoid getting closer to that. Last I heard they were fine, but I hadn't checked yet this morning.

“Well, I got to con mine off on Magilla, per Karen.”

“Serves him right for the glue thing. That was a hell of a mess to clean up.”

“Couldn't agree more Roddy.” I was, after all, right next to you cleaning.

We pulled out and into traffic and Grex handed me my coffee. I wasn't aware he'd actually had it; I realized I had left it in the parking garage. What was wrong with me today? I was never this forgetful. Had the attacks from yesterday done something to me? Or the exhaustion afterward?

Or maybe I just forgot. No sense driving myself crazy; I could ask later.

“So, any reason Grex is out?”

I thought about it; no reason they couldn't know. “Well, according to him I'm in some danger, so he's hanging out and watching my back. The contract calls for it.”

I watched them tense, and I could understand. If I was in danger, then they were too, just by being close to me. Even the various terrorist groups made little distinction between ADTF rank and file and summoners. Demons paid even less attention of course. It was probably best to clarify.

“I'm pretty sure he's just talking about the increased incidents of demons in the city, and doesn't have any concrete information.” I looked at Grex for confirmation.

He wasted no time in giving it. “Quite so. I merely feel it best to err on the side of caution.”

He smirked at the collective sighs of relief. My team knew now that Grex couldn't lie, so if said he knew nothing, he knew nothing. Didn't mean we were in the clear, but Grex had also watched me with nothing going on, so I was inclined to believe he was just being overprotective. Well, I was hoping, anyway.

We drove around for a good hour, with Judge behind the wheel. Cords sent me a few texts, which I returned. (Take a phone call in a crowded vehicle with a bunch of gossipy cops listening to half the convo? No way!) He didn't want to send me anything on the phone, he felt the screen was too small for any of that. I could see everything on it just fine, even proved it by listing off things in an image he sent (my eyesight was very good), but he was adamant.

“Trouble in paradise?”

I knew if I responded to Conner's 'subtle' jab, she'd never let it go. “No, just discussing what to check out next. I forgot my pad. He want's to watch some vampire drama or other.”

Conner rolled her eyes dramatically. “Oh yes, cause those are always fun.”

I couldn't agree more, normally. “I don't know, he says its supposed to be closer to “Nosferatu” than Ed and Bella.”

If true that would be a relief, although I wasn't sure I wanted to see bloodsucking in all it's glory. I got enough of that at work.

Judge finally pulled into the park we were at yesterday, just as Cords updated me on the condition of West, Dolph, and Charlie: they were fine, at least for various levels of fine, and healing up.

“How about you drive for a bit, Conner?”

“Sure Judge, but let's take five for now. I've got to use the little girls room something fierce.”

She hurried off while Judge and I shook our heads. As was standard procedure for us, we all got out in order to stretch our legs, so we wouldn't get in each others way. That made me last, behind a very watchful Grex.

I was out of coffee now. I threw the empty cup in a trash can and started stretching.

There were a few kids in the park today, and those kids had parents. The kids were laughing and playing around, the adults were watching us all warily. I guess they wanted to know if it was time to run. I waved at them, and one, a young mother, visibly flinched. Grex looked normal, so that left me. Unless… I looked at Grex, and he looked back. Nope, he looked normal. Unless he smiled he looked more normal than I did; so she was flinching because I waved.

Now that I was limber again, I walked over to Judge and Conner, who were in the middle of discussing routes.

“I can drive, if you want.” It was better than doing nothing.

Conner Shook her head. “Can't. It's against regs for the summoner to drive the team. One flipped out while driving a while back and took out her team by ramming a transformer.”

Well, crap. One nut-bar ruining things for the rest of us nut-bars. Who would have thought? At least now I knew why I was always seated in the back while we were moving. Easier to keep an eye on and potentially stop. Heck, there were probably orders to that effect.

When we got back in, Conner was driving. Judge was in Conner's seat, which I should have realized faced mine for a reason. Watching me; which was why Grex was watching him. Not that I had anything to hide, other than the occasional text.

So we drove around and wasted gas at the taxpayer's expense, being the professional rapid response unit, until lunch time. Lunch time found us in a drive-thru, with Sarah ordering. It was he burger barn, oddly enough, the same one that got hit what was it? A year ago? I wondered idly if it would ever stop being the burger barn that got attacked in my mind. Probably not.

“I'll take seven burger bomb specials, one grilled chicken sandwich, and a family bucket of fries to go.” It was a good thing I liked the burger bomb; she didn't even ask.

That aside she ordered too much for all of us; the burger bombs were big, and I doubted any human could eat two and live. Conner confirmed the plan for me when she just took the bags from the croggled drive-thru guy and passed them back. I wish I'd at least been told the plan was to sneak fast food into the hospital; I could help.

“So, hospital?” Judge nodded over the food; one hand slowly reaching in….

Conners called back without even looking. “Judge, keep those hands out of the fries. Culling, that goes double for you.”

Judge held his hands up in surrender while Culling glared an imaginary hole in her head. “I wasn't touching shit!”

Roddy grinned and finally broke his silence. “Yeah, but you were thinking about it. I saw you.”

I'd been a little worried about Roddy; he'd been pretty silent today. But if he could joke and smile, I guess he was fine.

“Up yours, Roddy.” I didn't have to worry about Culling at all.

We headed to the hospital, and this time the nurses and security didn't even give us a second look. Well, aside from the bags we sported; none called us on it, though. Back to team two's set of rooms, and West and Dolph's still very crowded rooms. Of course, the other cops had also brought gifts, but none so hot and greasy as ours. Dolph was first, and Culling placed it on his chest.

Dolph had to work to get it, but he did. I was worried he'd tear something he went after it so fast. Next door West had an easier time of things. I wanted to stay and talk, but there were still too many people in the room, and I hadn't dismissed Grex, so he was getting some looks. Not exactly hostile, but wary.

Conner came back out and handed me one last bag. “If you would, could you give that to Charlie?”

I took it. With my own bag (I wasn't eating in our transport, not when I knew I'd have time later) that made my hands full. I wasn't sure I liked having both hands full.

“Sure.”

Charlie's room was empty again today. He was at least conscious, reading a paper of all things, and I could tell he was listening with at least one ear to the conversations taking place next door. There weren't even flowers. I took a breath and stormed in right as he heard me.

“Real foods on!”

I set the bag on his food tray (placed in the corner near the door) and wheeled it over to him. He looked… better.

He had enough energy to raise a skeptical eyebrow in my direction anyway. “Burger Barn, really?”

I nodded. “Lunch of champions.”

He sighed. “Let me guess; Conner drove?”

Hm, evidently there was a story there. “Yes, she did. How are you?”

He replied around a mouthful of burger. Seems he didn't hate the stuff at least. “Better. I'll likely still be a few weeks recovering, but I should make a mostly full recovery.”

Better than Dolph. For all the man's forced joviality, his arm was still touch and go. Even if they saved it, he would likely lose some use of it, and if he did his career as an ADTF agent was over.

The ADTF did have a pretty fantastic benefits package, though, including the best coverage for people injured in the line of duty in the world. As good as summoner retirement, really. Charlie just waited silently; he was probably having similar thoughts himself.

Well almost silently. He wasn't shy or quiet about stuffing his face.

I followed suit but with actual manners, and slightly less mess; only so much you can do when eating a huge burger with your hands anyway. There was nothing in the room, same as yesterday, and the television was off.

“So, you looked kind of bored when I walked in, got anything to do?”

He shook his head. “Nah. West wheeled herself in here earlier and we played a card game called Uno, but nothing since. The paper is yesterday's.”

Right, I could fix that. “Alright, I'll be right back.”

The gift shop was three floors down and taking the back stairs gave me solitude along with the exercise. I was almost down to the shop when I realized I forgot to ask what type of book Charlie liked. Luckily I remembered just in time that he had some detective novels on his desk at the office, and they had looked well worn when I saw them, so the latest detective novels should do.

I grabbed the three newest and swiped my card through the reader as the clerk rang them up; she didn't even bat an eye at my presence, like the nurses. It was almost weird, after being stared at by just about everyone for so long.

I knew my memory had been right on target for the first time today when Charlie almost brightened. He perked up as much as any summoner eight years in could, that is. He immediately ditched the first two and snatched the third from my hand.

“Read the other two, but this one I hadn't had a chance to grab yet. Thanks. You should read the others if you haven't yet; they are pretty good.”

Not a single thought on whether I even liked the genre; oh well, I didn't hate it, and it felt tacky to go back downstairs and demand a refund.

“Sure.”

I was saved from further social awkwardness by the bell of sorts. “Snow, haul your heiny outside! We got to go, Roddy says the Captains on his way and we need to be gone before he gets here.”

“Coming!” I yelled back. I turned to Charlie again – taking in his room again. “If you need something or need to talk, call my cell, alright? I can't promise I'll be able to drop everything, but I'll do what I can.”

He actually looked surprised at the offer for a second, dropping his disinterested look and showing a fair amount of open pain before closing back up.

“Sure, I have the number.”

I waved, and headed down the back stairs again.

Grex didn't figure it out until I ducked into the gift shop again. I headed straight to the clerk, who thankfully wasn't bust with anyone.

“Do you take orders for flowers?” I'd seen the fresh flower bundles in the corner, some already in nice vases, all ready for some last minute well wishers on my first trip down.

“Yes?”

“Good, can you ring up three bouquets, and have them all delivered an hour from now to the three cops upstairs?”

It took her a minute to figure out what I wanted, and for her eyes to uncross; she was such a blonde.

“Um, yeah we can do that. But three cops? Aren't there only two cops?”

What. “There are three; all members of the Anti-Demon Task Force.”

Nice to know she didn't consider summoners to be cops. Her face bled color as she realized who I was talking about, and who she was talking to. So she wasn't quite as blasé as she appeared. She rang the flowers up with hands that shook. As I took my card back, Grex did something from behind me and she wobbled on her feet.

Rather than deal with it, I just left. The clerk probably wouldn't appreciate me steadying her anyway, either way I could do it, and she was in a hospital; she would be fine. I also had a ride to catch.

“Grex, what did you do just now?”

“Took a step, my mistress.”

Smart-ass. “Don't play coy with me. What did you do to make the clerk almost throw up there?”

He tried to sound offended, but I could hear the amusement underneath. “Why nothing at all, my mistress. I simply smiled at the woman to put her at ease; she seemed uneasy in your presence.”

Grex's smile wouldn't put anyone at ease. He knew that.

“Grex, don't scare the normies. Well, unless I tell you to.”

He smirked as my brain caught up with my mouth. “As you say, my mistress.”

Damn it. Retro me, Satanis, or however it's said.

Everyone was already waiting with a distinct lack of patience as I made my way out to the transport. Judge and Culling were the only ones able to get in before me because they were in the front, but they were walking in circles like everyone else. Judge was probably enjoying the freedom while he could; he disliked being cramped in a vehicle. Conner was a bit angry.

“Snow, what the hell?!? Were you taking a potty break or something?”

I shook my head as I swept past them and climbed in. “No, was arranging surprise flowers.”

Conner paused in putting her belt on. “Alright, I can deal with that. Judge, punch it!”

“Hold your horses woman, I'm not even situated yet!” Came the response that I, at least, expected.

“Well, hurry it up!” And there was the other one.

We managed to make it out and away from the hospital before seeing the Captain, heading the opposite direction from where he'd drive in from… but Conner didn't relax until we were ten streets away.

“What do you think he's going to do, come from the opposite direction in an attempt to catch us?”

She nodded, completely serious. “Yes, I wouldn't put it past him.”

Culling agreed. “He's done that sort of thing before. It's just a shame that he takes lunch the same time we're scheduled to.”

I couldn't argue that; technically there was nothing wrong with what we were doing, except it made us a tiny bit predictable in our route, and that was a big no-no. I'd had that drilled into my head for far too long now – being predictable meant being dead, and that applied even to showing up at a hospital at lunch. If we did it again, the Captain would no doubt have words for us. Several words delivered at high volume.

But no such terrible thing happened, and the cops at the hospital wouldn't tell. They wouldn't lie for us, they would just change the subject and the Captain wouldn't press. Any breach of regs that you got away with was a good one. With a shrug, I cracked open the first book; I hadn't even recognized the author. Ten minutes later I was sure why.

How could a whodunit be a bestseller if you could figure it out ten minutes in? The hint as the character was introduced made it clear he was the murderer; it was just sad. The second one was better written but just as easy to figure out. I could at least stick with it, until the transport stopped. I looked up and the rest of the team was already piling out, so I followed. Well, I had to follow Grex, who thankfully went first without being told.

Once outside it was clear that we were missing an absolutely wonderful day by being cooped up in a vehicle that was no less a contained environment that the office was as it passed. The sun was shining brightly and the temperature was perhaps a touch too far on the hot side, but the wind made up for it.
Flowers were blooming, tree leaves were rustling, and birds were chirping.

We had stopped at an old highway gas station on the outskirts of town to stretch, and the late afternoon sun was marching over the desert outskirts, which we had a nice open view of. I was glad we all wore our boots; this was prime scorpion country. I did a lap around the crumbling building, taking note of how nature was reclaiming it. It looked like another twenty years and the place would fall down by itself, no help required; the desert was sandblasting it down and the most of the roof was already gone, one wall looked spongy, and all the windows were in shards.

There were some places in Europe that probably looked the same or worse. There was also probably some deep statement to be read in this - but I was busy with a murder novel.

My phone vibrated. It was Cords, wanting my opinion on some movie I'd never even heard of as a thing to watch tomorrow. I would definitely get a day in the office tomorrow; I'd kept Grex out all day (on purpose) and while I was probably due some harsh words about overtaxing myself, the rules on avoiding overexertion were clear; if a summoner had their demon out in the line of duty a certain number of hours (in our case, it was six, or almost a full shift) they were given an equal number of downtime hours.

Of course, that was usually to avoid blinding headaches and projectile pea soup vomiting (or worse) that I didn't get, but I was cheating a little. Cheating was a time honored tradition I was still getting immersed in, but one I could take advantage of. It wasn't like I needed to lie or anything for it, after all; the devil truly was in the details.

Of course, Karma could take more than one form. There wasn't an hour left to our shift when we stopped, and the call came in on my second lap.

“Let's go Snow! Demon spotted, 43rd and Pine.”

That wasn't far from here; less than ten minutes by car. I briefly thought of slowing time and hoofing it, but decided against it. Sure it would be faster, but it would leave me without the support of my team, and even if I made it in time and didn't die, they would be less than happy with me. So instead I piled back in, my team all but shoving Grex and I out of the way, and we took off.

“So, do we know anything this time?” I asked Culling; he had been the one manning the radio, after all.

“We know it's a, quote, “Cow guy” end quote. So, a minotaur or a funky looking Bal'rog.” that was a less than promising reply; either could be a real handful in a fight, being extremely tough. A minotaur supposedly soaked less damage than a Bal'rog, though, and didn't have the power over fire.

Grex could probably take one, without us even having to get out of the transport.

Three demon attacks in two days. What was even going on?

We turned onto Pine, and the demon was waiting for us. The houses in the suburb we'd turned onto were all intact; I could see the twitching of curtains from a few of the houses from here, which made no sense at all. Everybody around should already be hoofing it out via their back doors by now. The reason they weren't in cars and racing each other, was the demon was standing on the road out, pavement cracked and bubbling from the heat of it.

It was a minotaur, eight feet tall and leaning on an ax even taller than it was with a half moon blade that was worryingly large. He (it was obviously a he, the tattered loincloth he sported as clothes didn't actually hide much, to all our chagrin) was just standing there, leaning on the ax with a bored look on his cowy face. I saw no casualties, no burning homes, not even a kicked dog, after at least twelve minutes of free reign. He shifted stance and hefted his ax as we got close.

Judge stopped a hundred feet away, with our door facing away from it. Conners very carefully opened the door, and we started to tumble out, as quietly as we could. This was a very stupid idea, we should back up, reset this encounter and try stealth, but we hadn't expected the damned thing to be waiting for us. If we tried to reset now, chances were it wouldn't let us.

But he let us deploy, at least to cover around our vehicle. I risked a glance to find him still standing there, the only difference was now his ax was on fire. He actually lifted his hooves out of the now semi-liquid patch of asphalt, shaking each off with a look of disgust before taking a step, closer to us.

Well, since we were already seen, and hadn't been attacked, it pretty much fell to me.

“Grex, let's go.”

“Right behind you, my mistress.”

We stepped out and the demon's face changed expression again… to relief? He spoke, his voice sounding more like it was mixed with a goat's than anything. I somehow managed not to laugh.

“It's about time. I've been waiting entirely too long.”

So it had been waiting for us; I had been beginning to suspect that, but it was nice to have confirmation. The bad part of that is it was actually waiting for us. That meant it would be prepared for us. I felt like I was forgetting something… oh right! Snark, I was forgetting snark.

“Come on, you couldn't have been waiting that long; not a single thing in flames or dead yet.” Good going Maeve, that was easily your best effort to date!

I needed to just stop talking during life and death situations. Even the minotaur was flabbergasted for a minute – and I could tell Grex was going to be insufferable later. Still, the demon answered as if I was serious.

“Orders, you understand how it is.”

That was actually pretty telling. A probing of our defenses, checking our response times in the city perhaps? Combined with yesterday that made some sense, but it seemed like an expensive and daring game to play. An attempt on me personally? With Grex acting the way he was, and the demons yesterday that could also be the case. The minotaur shifted again.

Oh, right, I shouldn't be playing for time for this. My team probably wouldn't directly engage, not for this. I was pretty sure they were watching my back in case of traps or more demons. Time to get this show on the road, I didn't want to be in the office after five after all.

“Grex, take him down.”

“With pleasure.” Grex actually materialized a sword as he stepped forward, obviously more than willing to go hand to hand against an over-muscled cow man that had an ax that looked capable of splitting a car in half.

Seemed like an unnecessary risk to me, but Grex seemed capable of handling it, deflecting the first stroke to the side where it bit into the road to the shaft with no resistance. I was contemplating using my time trick to slap a banishment on him, but the he burst into flame, something that would actually hurt me quite a bit if I got close.

Of course, it couldn't be that easy, and I couldn't just command him with my team present and watching. That would lead to some questions I didn't want to answer, and this wasn't exactly life or death yet. Grex was doing a fair imitation of making the demon look bad already, dancing around him and opening long wounds that might eventually prove disabling. In short, he was toying with him.

I started easing my way to an angle that wouldn't include Grex in any potential line of fire, keeping an eye out for ambushes. This seemed too easy all of a sudden, and there had been two demons loose yesterday, after all. The minotaur noticed, but couldn't really do much about it but watch; he wasn't slow, but Grex was much faster, and the strength difference that probably existed just didn't seem to be telling yet.

It felt like there should be more challenge here, but there wasn't. My athame, my combat knife, flew with its time sped up and seals active. The effect when the blade cut his skin was immediate; the minotaur vanished with a scream as the binding seals discharged. A quick glance with enhanced senses proved the demon hadn't pulled a fast one; it was really gone.

Grex confirmed it by standing straight and letting his sword disappeared back to wherever he kept it. The danger, such as it was, was passed.

Unless it was another bait. “Conner, any word of anything unusual going on? Any other attacks?”

Her response was partially a relief. “None. We are good to go. Still got some patrolling to do, but I'll call in the cops and the repair crews.”

What the heck was going on?

up
326 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

RIH...

Oh thank you Nagrij!!! Another installment in my favorite series of yours!!! Now I won't get a thing done this afternoon while I read it. lol Thank you ever so much for all your time and considerable talent to keep us entertained!

Blossom,

You're very welcome.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij

sweet surprise

dawnfyre's picture

to see this posted today.

The demons after Snow, hmm have they found out who she really is?
How long until she realizes what her destiny is?


Stupidity is a capital offense. A summary not indictable.

Do we, the readers, know what

Do we, the readers, know what her destiny is, exactly? Its possible from what we've been told she is the new queen of a certain circle of hell, but what else could she be?

It is very interesting.

Kahnage,

If any of the readers know Maeve's exact destiny, there will be internet cookies and Glad0s baked cake for all. So far though? Don't think anyone has guessed that correctly. Some have come close.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij

nope

dawnfyre's picture

though you and I ( likely others as well ) share the idea of her position in Hell being the destiny.

I have no extra information, nor do I want it. it is much more fun to figure it out just from what is published.

[quote] but what else could she be?[/quote]

half demon and lover of Crex?


Stupidity is a capital offense. A summary not indictable.

I'm leaning towards Maeve

I'm leaning towards Maeve being a full demon, lover of Grex (and possibly mother to his children (do demons even breed like that?), ruler of Grexes home circle of hell (Limbo and all its inhabitants) and possibly she will turn the tide of the demon war and lead the Limbo demons (Grex and his people) against the other demons and drive them back through the hellgate in Germany, winning the war and securing earth against large scale demon invasion.

She will likely then go to live in limbo with Grex and her new people (after she likely fully awakens as a demon, which I believe she to be as even Grex is scared of her full power, even now) and possibly she will lead a war against the rest of hell.

Using her people would be obvious.

Using the human souls in Limbo would also be obvious because remember, Limbo is full of people who had no chance of being Christian and therefore having no possibility of going to heaven; therefore she has every Roman legionary, every greek hoplite, every barbarian warrior, every soldier east of Ancient Judea (so India, China, etc) and more, pretty much every person and warrior culture on the planet up until globalisation started in the 1800's. That would be tens of millions of soldiers and warriors who had done nothing but live in limbo likely training for hundreds or thousands of years. And lets take into account every genius and thinker of those pre-christian cultures would also be there.

There could possibly be human soldiers from earth as well (mostly summoners I'd assume) who would want to take the fight to Hell.

So, there is a lot more to this story. I hope, at least. It would be interesting to see where it goes but the above is where I am predicting it will go.

EDIT: I also predict that the demon activity is other demon lords taking notice of the powerful new demon-human and wanting her for themselves, so they are sending their minions to test her, her power and Grex. As well as the local defenses.

We already know the Minotaurs come from the next lowest circle after Limbo (Grex's home), so that means, if he isnt a mercenary, that the lord of the next circle is possibly after Maeve. I cant quite remember what circle Succubi are from, but I could see the Lord (or lady) of the Succubi wanting Maeve for her power and the other demon is also from a different circle.

That could mean at least 3 of the Lords of Hell want Maeve.

kahnage..

Not a bad guess, except I did take something off the table earlier, in no uncertain terms. Maeve is not a demon.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij

Not a demon..... then a demon

Not a demon..... then a demon human hybrid or possibly a demon-angel hybrid. Got to be angels running around, maybe even fallen ones after all.

I'll need to re-read that.... Or is our writter being sneaky?

I quote from a much earlier chapter...

>>Until recently, I was the regent of that circle, the supreme ruler of it. I stepped down to attend you. I served in the name of a demoness known as 'the lady of lost hope'. Our power is...low compared to demons of the other realms. By title I was one of Lucifer's elite...but by power, the real test of rank the lords of the 9th circle are considered the weakest. A good count from the first circle could well best me, as could the other higher ranking dukes of hell."

Well that was interesting. I got the runt of the litter.

"However,' he continued. 'we are in a unique position. The lady of lost hope is more powerful on earth than in hell; on earth she may well be almost as strong as Lucifer himself, due to the nature of her power, which as you know, is space and time manipulation. Not very powerful in hell, where time is dilated as a matter of course in order to punish those deemed wicked, but very powerful on earth, where she can rule both time and space with ease. this fundamental nature in her power of course, bleeds down to all her servants, great and small."

Mind blown.
>>

IE of course she is no a demon. SHE is a future demoness !

But that would seem to be splitting hairs. So to speak.

Whatever is Maeve's true nature I'm sure will prove most interesting.

Do write more.

John in Wauwatosa

P.S. Notice that Male plus Eve minus le is Maeve? IE Maeve is her own new race entirely? Whoa, John ! speculating in the Twilight Zone are we?

John in Wauwatosa

John in Wauwatosa...

I very carefully did not mention any future events, possibly of the kind that demons who screw with time might have some knowledge about... or any hopes, dreams, or nightmares of such by anyone in the universe.

I'll also quote myself in an earlier post on this very subject - what is a demon?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij

A demon is a fallen angel, if

A demon is a fallen angel, if you go strictly by the religious texts.

So is Maeve a (fallen) angel?

YES! I love this story!

YES! I love this story!

Very interesting. The demons are obviously probing, but it seems Maeve is the target. I cant help but wonder if the disabling of the other summoner was intentional.

Maybe they are readying up for an abduction attempt on Maeve? Maybe a demon lords wants to make her his bride? Or eat her to gain her power?

I was thrilled, thrilled I

I was thrilled, thrilled I say when I saw this new chapter arrive to keep us all very happy by receiving it. Always nice to be able to connect with "old friends" such as we have in Snow and Grex and the rest of the team. Glad the three others are healing, albeit rather slowly, but healing is a good thing in the end.
Thanks Nagrij for your wonderful talent in story telling and allowing us to enter into one of your worlds.

A wonderful addition to my day!

D. Eden's picture

Finding this was a very pleasant surprise this afternoon.

One has to wonder just what the plan is with the continual testing and pushing of Maeve. As Lucifer is behind this, and as he obviously has plans for Maeve - plans which she may not be too quick to jump at - and is using Cords body to further his plan, I can't help but wonder just what it is that he gains by using his minions a she is with her. Perhaps getting her accustomed to commanding them?

And just what's with her power fluctuating? Grex has been adding more and more earrings to keep her power under control; now he has to remove them in order to bleed her power off?

Hmmmmmmmm...........

Not sure where this is going, but I'm definitely liking the ride!

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Dallas...

All the jewelry does wonky things. Sometimes it has to come off as a result. All that stuff really is, basically, is a valve for a gas line... or control rods for a nuclear reaction.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij

Yes!

Always glad to see another chapter of this, one of my favorite stories

This really is a case of

This really is a case of curious and curiouser... all signs seem to point to a summoner or three pushing demons into the city, but is the goal to test maeve or to weaken the adtf??

I look forward to finding out, thanks for another instalment! :3

Xx
Amy

Hmm

Tas's picture

I... Don't know what's going on. It could be someone is trying to gage the power of the response force, their reaction times, Maeve's personal power, or something else. Maybe they just want to confirm Maeve and Grex's presence, or are working to get her off duty and attack the other summoners, I don't know.

In any case, I'm glad to see another part of this (hell, I re-read the whole series when I saw it come out) and I'm looking forward to more! :)

Tas...

You're getting there. A few of those are right. :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij

Oh boy.. :-( Another sit

Oh boy.. :-( Another sit around n wait for next chapter
:-( Like all the other responders..This is a great and
one of my favorites!! : )

alissa