Room in Hell chapter 8.

Printer-friendly version

The next morning I got ready and drove myself over without Karen; she had begged off claiming something to do well before I was due in.

Which was fine, I was a big bo...err girl.

Another night spent working on all the crap I had to know, hours of reading followed by more hours of practical exercises of Grex's invention, and I was still a bit tired after sleeping. But...not as much as I'd thought. Today I was supposed to go out of town, down route 4 to the ironically named Maple road.

That was the location of the ADTF training grounds, where I would be officially trained in certain police techniques that
were a mix of military counter terrorist techniques, summoner techniques, and SWAT.

The car was much less conspicuous in it's way than the hum-vee was; with my cowl down, I was not the social pariah on the road I had been yesterday. My car however garnered quite a bit of attention since it was older than dirt. That new attention from traffic almost caused me to be late, as I got stuck behind this semi that just wouldn't get out of the way.

I pulled onto the street at 7:56, noting the 3 late model white vans in front of the 20 foot concrete wall doing its best to hide mock up buildings just beyond.

"Good morning rookie."

"Good morning captain."

He opened the giant padlocks (there were three) holding the gate shut while the vans were restarted. I drove through first as he swung the gates wide, followed by the vans. There was a small parking area where I stopped, and the vans bracketed me. The captain walked in and then shut the gate.

"So captain, what's on tap for today?"

"Oh the typical obstacle courses and urban warfare training; also hostage rescue and other such things. Don't worry, I'm sure you'll do fine."

His shark like grin was less than reassuring. The others were even worse.

Then the crate at the back of one of the vans was unloaded, and the paint ball guns came out. I suppose I really shouldn't have been shocked.

Then guns in question looked real enough, like standard issue 9 millimeter Beretta, but the small paint ball reservoir on the top gave them away. The captain handed me one he's just finished loading and pointed down range.

"Go ahead, 10 steps in, and I'll go start it. No live fire of any kind and no Grex, got it? We can do all that later. this is just a gauge of ability at the moment, nothing more."

With a wave, he walked to the building abutting the wall, I could see a sort of crow's nest on it.

"Don't worry about it. You'll do fine."

One of the few female members, a blonde maybe an inch shorter than I was and a bit more petite stated with a friendly pat on the back. It took a bit of recall to remember her name, she had been at the party. I nodded.

"Thanks Sarah. I'll try not to shoot anyone."

She called out as she hit the steps;

"Exactly, save that for later."

A buzzer sounded and wooden pop up bad guys started appearing down the street, in windows, behind doors, etc. I hit them all, and even managed to shoot the terrorist holding the hostage at the end. Typical urban warfare set up...until the flying, screaming cut outs started shrieking past.

Oh right, cut out demons. With paint filled claws.

There were a total of 5 of those, which I managed to shoot, though the last two I had to dodge by hitting the dirt. Why they'd have me shoot those I didn't know. the real thing wouldn't go down to bullets.

The intercom crackle made me jump.

"Again, from the top."

Of course the targets were randomized, so I was left guessing (and dodging) again.

After a few more times of this, The captain had mercy on me, and called me to the start where the troops were waiting.

"Not too shabby. Take five and rest. We move on to group tactics after."

He walked around me as I grabbed water from a convenient cooler.

"No paint, pay up Roddy."

A young man with vaguely Latino (South American? Mexican?) features lacking some of the muscle and scars of the rest snorted, and slapped a twenty in the captains hand; I caught a few more such exchanges.

"This is pretty heartwarming. Can I bet in these pools or not?"

"Nah you can't, you're the mark after all."

Roddy replied, running a hand through his dark brown hair in a classic sheepish gesture of evasion.

"Well, to reintroduce you; these 8 here are going to be the people you work with the most; ADTF team 3; First off you know Pearce from yesterday, he's the team leader. Conner's,' he pointed to Sarah; 'is the tactical for the team, Roddy here is the first break in specialist..."

They took turns stepping forward, making it easy on me.

The ones I didn't know from yesterday (I can only assume they weren't on duty) were:

Andrew 'judge' Sills, a sniper that stood at my height with warm green eyes set in an expressive face, a police ball cap
covering the sparse black hair on his head. He gave a polite nod as he stepped back.

Frank 'aims' Anders, the other sniper, who stood a good six feet, wore a cowboy hat over blond hair, and whose own eyes were a dead polar opposite to sills.

Collin 'culling' List, a second son of polish immigrants unless I missed my guess, who stood a hair under Anders own six feet but was very stocky. the sword he wore even to this exercise proclaimed him a close combat specialist; the runes on it told me he was one of the few that failed the ritual. His blue eyes were cold and his manner serious.

May 'west' Johnson, an auburn haired woman that stood a few inches shorter than me, yet I was sure weighed more...and all of it muscle. She looked like she could give List a run for his money, but had a sparkle in her light brown eyes, and an easy laugh.

and lastly, a man that could give the captain a run for his money; Darren 'Dolph' Zeph, a Russian born immigrant who sported long blond hair and blue eyes, and stood around 6 feet 6; he and the captain looked to be struck from the same mold, even down to the facial scars, which were close to identical.

His stance and movement gave lie to his ready smile; he moved like a predator...like he was the most dangerous thing in any room.

OK, so I might feel a bit intimidated. Maybe.

"Hi everyone. So what's the plan?"

"Oh that's simple.' the captain responded. 'It's my team versus your team. Urban warfare scenarios for the next 4 hours."

The grins were back. Pearce took pity on my confusion.

"He means, it's paintball, all day newbie."

Oh of course, and since I was new, I'd be the primary target for the other team. Just perfect. Sarah sidled close.

"Don't worry, it's legitimate training, despite how it sounds. You get basic training on what will be expected of you, working with us, and we get training on protecting you against threats while you do your job."

I nodded.

"OK, let's get started."

***********************************************

I was trying to keep my dignity; I'd been run into the ground from eight till three; after the first test my new team and I had practiced SWAT entry, hostage situations, random demon attacks (where I would attempt to 'banish cut out demons that moved while under fire, and my team covered me), possession cases, and basically any other scenario that evil man in charge of my life decided to set up.

I was covered in paint.

Red paint for small arms fire, yellow and green for demon strikes, and blue for being possessed. Red made up most of the hits, though I had a bit of yellow and green. Not so much blue at least.

And of course these sadistic types insisted we finish our shift, so I had to march into headquarters like this, amidst grinning freshly dressed colleagues. They all just happened to have clean uniforms in their vans....purely coincidence.

"Come on rookie, showers are this way."

I followed Sarah to the women's locker room without hesitation...after all, I've heard they can smell fear. We were alone inside it turned out, and the place was pretty run down; it had that institutional look, as if the place were a school. It was clean at least.

"Here.' Sarah handed me shampoo, conditioner, and a towel. 'Do you mind your clothes being wet? The paint is water soluble, but if we let it set it'll take forever to get out."

"Well, I wouldn't care, but we don't need to worry about my clothes."

I picked a stall and got started, letting the water soothe stressed muscles.I'd had a brainstorm of sorts after the walk
through the halls filled with snickering cops...pity it hadn't been before.

"Why is that?"

"Grex. I know you guys all planned this to haze, but Grex is apparently hell's own tailor. Pretty sure I can get him to clean my clothes if I want."

"Really? How fast? Seems wasteful."

I turned, scrubbing at some paint that had run down my shirt collar and dried. She didn't seem the least annoyed that I was in here I noticed. Then again, she could probably kick my ass if I tried anything.

Not that I wanted to; and that was a bit disturbing.

"Not sure how fast, but I'll bet on instantaneous."

"Hmm, you're on. I'll guard the door, you summon him now, let's find out."

"Rather wait till I'm showered first."

She had the good grace to look abashed.

"Oh, right, my bad."

"Why does it matter if he can clean my clothes instantly?"

"Never seen a demon with that kind of power to spare, honestly. Best we get here are demons like Karen's, and hers can't really do anything but throw lightning and fly."

Of course the flying was magical, I mean otherwise his wingspan would be what? Twenty five feet or more?

"right. Well the morning of the ritual, Grex did something similar, so no reason why he can't now I'd think."

Shower complete, I stepped out with the towel around me and called;

"Grex, veni huc!"

It took a moment for me to catch Sarah's eyes, widened. Arms enveloped me from behind as Grex leaned in.

"Aww, for me my master? You shouldn't have."

"Hands off grabby. Got a job for you."

He stepped away as I turned.

"Let me guess. You in a state of undress, surrounded by police, in a quaint public hygiene room...another fashion disaster?"

"Indeed, I need you to remove the paint stains in my clothes."

He sighed.

"This is just like the boxes my master; You don't summon me all day, then you do just to have me wash your clothes. I am
wounded."

"Bull crap. But if you must know, I was training today. That didn't include you, but you get to play tomorrow, I'm told."

"Yay." he deadpanned.

I handed him the clothes, noticing he was still getting an eyeful. He hadn't so much as glanced at Sarah the entire time. Sarah of course was watching the exchange with no small amount of fascination etched on her face. I also noticed something else.

"Why are your wings out?"

"I was traveling of course, and flying is the quickest way from one place to another."

"Can you teach me how to fly? Like Karen does?"

"no, you are not yet ready...my way is slightly different than Karen's companion, and involves a bit more."

Companion, huh?

"Alright."

He handed me my clothes, free of any paint stains. He left the dye in, I'd almost expected he'd remove that too.

"Turn around Grex, and no peeking."

"Of course my master."

I watched him as I put my clothes back on. Sarah was watching the door. I dressed in a hurry.

"OK thank you Grex, enjoy your appointment."

"So soon my master? Now I truly am hurt."

"Later Grex, go home."

He disappeared without another word. One would almost think he WAS hurt....

"Why send him home so soon?"

"Would you want to explain what two women are doing in the women's locker room with a male demon?"

"...Good point. Very good point. We will never speak of this again."

I nodded as we stepped out, taking the stairs to rejoin the squad in silence.

"By the way,' Sarah spoke up as we reached the doors on the 5th floor. 'I owe you a coke, you won."

I enjoyed the looks of shock as I walked in as pristine as I had left for work this morning. Guessing they thought I'd
wear paint the rest of the day. Karen was in, talking to the captain, no doubt about my performance. She caught a glimpse and turned.

"Sorry, should have warned you about the...paintball?"

She got a good eyeful, as shocked as the rest. I couldn't contain my grin.

"you mean the paintball games cops are fond of playing? Had no idea such fun could be had on the clock!"

Her responding grin was brilliant.

"I agree! Too bad I'm stuck doing paperwork all day. Which reminds me, you have some to fill out at your desk, Don't keep
me waiting for it."

"Um, I have a desk?"

She gave the captain a light punch in the arm.

"You're supposed to be showing her these things!"

Sarah pointed.

"Your desk is over there, with the rookie manuals on it. Third one from the wall on the left."

"thanks."

I took a seat at it, looking over the paperwork...dental benefits, 401k, tax forms? Seriously, tax forms for summoners?

"So, did you pack spare clothes or something?"

Pearce had snuck up on me in my moment of distraction.

"No, I had my demon do my laundry; he's quick and thorough."

"Your demon cleans your clothes?"

"Yes."

I really didn't understand why they all looked so shocked. I mean, he was my demon wasn't he? He had to do what I told him.

I started filling out all the crap Karen had left on my desk, not really paying too much attention to the comings and goings of my fellow officers. I was almost done, having had to remember my summoner code number and my social security number for the fourth time, when a can of coke being tapped next to my in-box caught my attention. I looked up to see Sarah.

"Enough of that rookie, it's quitting time for us."

A quick glance at the clock showed it was 5pm, and the next shift was beginning to trickle in.

"don't have to tell me twice. This stuff is stupid, pretty sure the government knows all this already."

"Par for the course according to Karen, she says she gets swamped in personnel reports and police brutality complaints, not to mention damage claims."

"She's welcome to it, better her than me."

In passing I brushed past a fellow summoner, this one with their cowl up.

"Good afternoon, new blood."

He stopped and his eyes followed me as I passed.

"Good afternoon sir. sorry about bumping into you."

He dropped his cowl, allowing me to see the amused expression on his dark face framed by curly brown hair. He looked to be of mixed African descent, judging by his wide nose and complexion.

"What, no paint? Did the captain slack today?"

"Not at all sir, I simply have a demon to do my laundry. My name is Maeve, might I ask yours?"

"Call me charlie. And you're Snow. Pleased to meet you."

He held out a hand. Damn, I really hated that nickname. Made me sound pure or something. I shook hands briefly, offering my polite 'I'm just humoring you' smile.

"Well pleased to meet you, but I need to get out of this mad house before Karen forces me to finish all that dreaded paperwork."

"Then by all means, run! I'll tell her I never saw you. shoo, shoo!"

His gestures accompanied his easy laugh as I made my escape, Sarah right behind me. Pearce stopped me at the doors.

"same time, same place as this morning. Don't be late."

"Got it boss. I'll be there."

I made my way out and into the parking lot without further incident. I decided on fast food, and made the turn to head to the Burger Barn...It was open again, and I had a strong desire for a burger and fries. It wasn't on my way, but I didn't really have anywhere else to be.

I decided to go inside rather than use the drive in when I saw the person working the window. It was Randolf.

What the hell?

Randolf was the son of a rich lawyer, who cleaned up all his messes. What was he doing in a burger barn uniform, complete with paper hat? Hmm, how to handle this.

Well I'm off the clock, and not required to wear the robes...I do have my fatigues on underneath, complete with patches.
I quickly shucked the thing and walked in, trying my best to appear nonchalant. I received a few second glances as I strode up to the counter, but nothing serious. No dirty looks or hateful glances.

"Good afternoon ma'am, can I help you?"

Randolf himself, still bearing the headset microphone those who took the take out orders wore, stood at counter 1. There were no other people up front, but plenty of good natured laughter and hijinks in the back...was that Marci, skating along the tile floor on an empty box? I shook my head clear and made a show of looking at his name tag.

"Yes Randy, I'd like a BB deluxe with bacon, no cheese, and a fry basket please, to go."

"Yes ma'am, that will be eight dollars, 47 cents with tax."

I handed him my shiny new card to swipe, focusing more on the back than him. I didn't like to take chances with food
preparation...too many incidents involving the very person in front of me and various bodily fluids in school cafeterias.

"So, haven't seen you working here before; you new?"

"Yes ma'am, relatively. I started just under a month ago."

"I see, haven't been off base for a few months, just got back into town. I had the worst burger craving hit just a few minutes ago."

Was he blushing?

Oh, his eyes weren't even close to my face.

"Good afternoon lieutenant."

"Good afternoon sir."

I half turned, the stirrings of rage tempered somewhat when I spotted the manager standing in front of his office, giving me a warm smile.

He was a man in his early 50's, about 5ft 7 with just the faintest traces of grey in his thick black hair. He could weigh as much as 250 lbs, the very definition of portly without being...rotund. If he wanted he would make a mean Santa Claus, and had always been nice to the kids of the neighborhood. He also had a tattoo from his time in the navy; I wasn't too sure what it meant, but I knew now that it was some kind of unit ink.

I still had an eye on my food being prepared, and he noticed but didn't call attention to it.

"So what brings you into the big city Lieutenant?"

"Training with the ADTF sir, the usual."

"What kind of training?"

he inquired with a faint stirring of interest.

"Mostly basic small arms training and urban warfare sir."

ADTF and SWAT routinely trained with the military, and vice versa. My presence as a simple soldier training in urban warfare shouldn't be questioned. A throat cleared behind me and I turned, finding Randy (snicker) waiting with my bag of food.

"All done ma'am, sorry for the wait."

"Thank you Randy, see you later sir."

"See you later lieutenant, the military is always welcome at my establishment. Have a nice day."

I waved, feeling eyes follow me to my car. Traffic was lighter on these back streets, but it was still just after six when I pulled into my building.

Dragging my tired self upstairs while sneaking fries earned me quite a few dirty looks.

I'm normally nice enough I think, but they can damn well get their own fries.

Aside from those looks though I was unmolested till I put key to lock, juggling my bag.

"Hi!"

"Karen sheesh, I could have dropped my food. Didn't know you were coming by or I'd have bought you some."

"Oh that's OK, I ate at the office...so finish that paperwork?"

"It's on my desk..and um mostly done."

"Tomorrow morning I'll see it then, right?"

She joined me inside, not even asking...not that I minded.

"Unless those jokers we work with steal it or something, yes. Tea?"

"Sure, I'd love some."

I turned back from the stove to find her hand in my bag, fries hanging out of her mouth.

"Woman, I will break you."

She caught the smile I threw and choked her ill gotten gains down.

"Fry fiend?"

"My favorite food. And the ones the Burger Barn make are amazing."

"How is that place? Demon went through it right?"

"Yeah just one casualty, no other permanent damage. My guess is they reopened inside a week. Saw one
of my old school mates working there."

"A friend?"

"No, just someone I knew."

I sighed and sat down on my extremely plush couch, coke in hand and bag on the coffee table. Karen wasted no
time settling next to me, remote in her hands.

"Grex, veni huc!"

This time he appeared in front of me all at once, wings folded primly at his back...and possibly smaller than normal.

"You called mistress?"

"Yep sure did; time for magic lessons and crime dramas, not necessarily in that order. Karen channel 48 please."

"A and E? Not big brother?"

"Big brother? Ewww....so Grex, how do you manage the laundry trick?"

With a guarded look at Karen that neither of us missed, he started explaining while I ate and watched the latest on
the black dahlia murder.

(tbc)

up
287 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

So, no big-

Surprises. Office Newbie catching some light hazing and the usual settling in thing. There is a clue that her old life has seen some changes given Randy's new job. Has there been more shake up in the status quo?

And what about her Mom? Are they forbidden contact with their families?
Hugs
Grover

Forbidden?

I would guess not forbidden, but really, given her mother's... condition, and the reasons for it etc, would YOU rush off to go see her? Her relationship with her father was much stronger and more positive, I think, and we saw that reunion last chapter.

Correct.

Maeve has all the usual excuses prepped in order to not see family or friends...she's obviously busy. She didn't even go looking for dear old dad.

She will get her crap together soon enough.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij

Good thing?

You seem to suggest that Maeve reconnecting with the rest of her family and friends is a good thing. I'm not really so sure about that. Dad's been great, but why would she even want to see mom now that mom's selfish betrayal have come to light? That leaves Felicity and Jeremy. Felicity? That boat was sunk before it even loaded. Jeremy might be worth a cautious email but Maeve's circumstances are so different it's likely nobody from her past would be around after 6 months.

I think her "crap" is about as together as its likely going to get, or need to be. The past is gone, she is not Melvin anymore, hell she can't even remember that name. Time to move on with her new life.

Do the summoners rank up by how powerful their demons are? If so I imagine she can smack Justin down to a much lower rung on the ladder. I suspect Justin's demon is not nearly as high up the pecking order in Hell as Grex is. Grex could probably eat them both (literally!) for lunch. After all, Grex has to protect Maeve from all harm, and he gets to decide how far that goes! "I was afraid that he would do my master harm so I was required to act. Would have been better with some sauce, he was crunchy though."


"Life is not measured by the breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.”
George Carlin

Not implying anything here.

Not implying anything here beyond that Maeve herself believes some resolution of the situation is required; to me it's neither a good or bad thing, it just is. Time itself will tell how that situation shakes out. As for Grex...he was a defacto ruler of a realm in hell...there are very few demons he can't eat or bully. He has to walk carefully though, for some reasons which should be obvious.

As for the old crew being scattered in 6 months, quite possibly for many, but she's still stationed in their collective
hometown. Going to be hard not to run into at least a few of them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij

How Fiendly

For Me Master

Love this lots

Goddess Bless you

Love Desiree

ahhhh

I quietly enjoyed that chapter from start to finish, and am interested to hear more about these changes in societal status quo back home...

And will read the chapters as quickly as you finish writing them, so keep up the good work.

Xx
Amy

Glad to see.

I'm very glad to see you're enjoying both stories; as always, it is the psychology involved that intrigues me most.

In both stories, the character's states of mind and mental attitudes shape the reality around them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij

RIH...

Another nice installment Nagrij! I'm very much enjoying this storyline! Grex is a very interesting character for a supposed villian with many twists and turns to his nature. I'm wondering just what transpired with Maeve's mother and why Grex was so interested in having the blind spot in Maeve's bargaining so he could make her female? Ahhh... the twists and turns. lol Looking forward to your next installment with great interest Nagrij!

Blossom

I've often found....

That those that are the most suave, most personable...are also the most evil.

That said, even the most evil have a hint of the opposite.

The psychology of evil is fun to play with.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij

Great Story!

I am really enjoying this story, from the characters and plot to the sense of world building behind it all. I can't wait for each big reveal, while at the same time enjoying the way it all slowly unfolds.

Please, keep up the great work!

Thanks for the great story!

Now, if a demon appears that appears to be half metal skeleton, we know which co-worker it's going to try and Terminate. :-)
(Was the Sarah Conner name drop intentional? Hopfeully - I smiled!)

It was.

Her real name is Sarah Kemp...Conners is her nick name. Many of the names listed were nicknames alone, a fact that Maeve didn't make clear.

Got to remember that cop sense of humor, it's real. And yes, make terminator noises, I know I did.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij

Companion?

Grex refers to "Karen's Companion".............Does that mean that all demons look on their summoners as companions, that Lords of Hell look on the summoners as companions, or is there some future hanky-pankey implied?

Love the story!
Larimus

re: companion.

Demons look upon their summoners as nuisances for the most part, an annoyance to be suffered through. Grex is a bit different. He either can't or won't call Thor, who is at least nominally a lord, sewage sucking wretched gutter scum, for
reasons that at this moment we can only guess at. So instead, he's Karen's companion, a sort of back handed insult implying he's the equal of a hairless monkey.

Not everyone caught that one I bet, I know of few of my characters didn't.

As for the other lords of hell, and what Grex thinks about his own summoner, well, more on that later.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij