Room in Hell chapter 27.

Printer-friendly version

It was true that I didn't think the 'angel' (hereafter referred to as “doofus”) was picking off our own, at least not yet. But That was probably because he hadn't had a chance to. If he had, we wouldn't have had witnesses and would be blaming a demon for it. The report I wrote reflected that.

I caught myself scratching my arm, and forced myself to stop. Healing burns was very itchy.

The incident yesterday had done what overwork hadn't; benched me. I wasn't complaining, however.

My warning had been taken seriously, and the number of patrols was temporarily increased. Of course, the people on those patrols weren't exactly happy with me, but they would be less happy to meet doofus in a dark alley with no backup.

I was fine, mostly. More than fit to keep going; the problem was Grex.

He was in terrible shape, with only one working wing and enough holes in him to kill most normal people. A summoner with no summon was a dog without teeth; all bark, no bite. The summoner was benched, banished to a desk until the demon was back or another was bound. However, I was hurt, and that proved enough with Grex added in to get me a few greatly appreciated days off.

So we sat at my kitchen table, drinking tea, while I tried to think of anything, any questions I missed. I was going through a lot of tea.

The twins had finally finished cleaning up all the blood and feathers, and were also at the table, nursing their own cups. I felt kind of bad about making them clean up, but not bad enough to do it myself or bad enough to wait while Grex healed enough to be able to do it. Grex was on the couch, asleep to all appearances.

“So, Angels.” The twins flinched as one when I broke the silence.

“What about them, Miss Numens?” Abnex managed to ask.

“Angels are hunting summoners, and not demons?”

Abnex released a relieved breath. That was odd; what question had he thought I was going to ask? “Yes. Angels have been killing summoners when they find them – at least when they aren't on a mission or have time. But since there are far fewer angels than demons or summoners, it's a bit rare. Most angels haven't even seen Earth for thousands of years anyway; like us they can't just pop in unless invited.”

I couldn't help but feel that most of that information was volunteered as a smokescreen. “So angels are getting invited? There are angel summoners?”

Sarex grinned but answered seriously. “No, not exactly. Only the big G can command angels. But Earth is supposed to be hands off unless stated otherwise, and sometimes angels get missions from the big G and see a chance to do some damage to us. And before you ask, I call him the big G because he might know I'm talking about him if I use his full name.”

“Alright, I'll bite. Why?”

Sarex looked stricken, but Abnex was cool as he answered. “Why what? Why the name thing? My dear sister is an idiot; If God's attention is on you, then it's on you; a simple name change doesn't change intent.”

A good deflection, for all that we three knew exactly what it was. I clarified. “No, why are angels attacking summoners at all?”

Sarex clasped her fingers together. “Well, uh... because summoners are breaking one of the laws; one of the major laws, by consorting with us.”

I pressed the advantage. “And normal people sinning aren't?”

Abnex leaned in. “Sometimes, but the angels have a standing order that allows them to take steps, whereas for normal sinners they don't.”

Alright, begged the same question. “Why is that, exactly?”

Sarex popped to her feet. “We can't say.”

She headed towards the teapot again, seemingly for something to do.

Of course, she had just raised another question. “Why can't you say?”

Abnex joined his sister at the teapot, working on his own mug. “Orders; we were specifically ordered not to tell anyone why angels were after summoners if the question ever came up. And the orders are from one we cannot ignore, and you can't override, Miss Numens.”

All well and good, but it led to another question: “Unless that being has forbidden you to interfere, tell me who ordered you to keep silent.”

Not really phrased as a question, but it worked better this way. “Lucifer himself ordered our silence.”

Well, yeah. No way I was going to pull rank on him; I was just a fake low ranking lord; the lowest with an entire realm or land or whatever it was called to rule, in fact.

I suppose I could always ask Lucifer – set up a meeting through Grex and ask away – but I didn't see any way how that wouldn't go wrong. I wasn't stupid enough to think that I could get the better of something so old, evil, and powerful. Not with my intelligence or scruples; I hadn't exactly beaten Grex at his own game, after all.

“Alright.” I stepped up to the teapot myself and made my own tea. Then I made another cup.

Then it was time to check on Grex. I took the two cups and carried it into the living room. Grex was stretched out on the couch, on his stomach and breathing shallowly. He wasn't asleep, though; he stirred when I walked in. Why he'd even insisted on recovering here was a mystery; he'd heal faster in his home plane.

It was also another question that he'd refused to answer. Well, he'd answered that he wanted to be present to protect me, but he really didn't look like he could protect anything at the moment. The twins hadn't said anything, but I could feel the anxiety they held; I didn't think it was me.

They had stayed here the night with me; they were probably due back home to torture kids or something. “Abnex, Sarex... you can go back to what you were doing. Just come quickly if I call, alright?”

They both bowed in unison, deeply. “As you command, Mistress.” They drained their tea before leaving.

I sat down in my comfy chair and turned the television on with a sigh. I should probably read or work on something, some spell or technique to help us win next time, but my focus was too scattered for that. I felt useless.

Grex shifted, grasping his tea. I was an idiot; he had no way to drink it without sitting up.

“Hang on.” I went and retrieved a bendy straw; I'd taken some flack for stocking those, but who was laughing now?

Now more hydrated, Grex relaxed.

“So... angels and conspiracies.”

He tensed again. “Yes, angels and conspiracies.”

I sat again and tried not to scratch my arm. “Care to tell me about it?”

“I can't. I heard you asking the twins, you should know that.”

“Really? Not even if it endangers my life? Wouldn't knowing about it make me safer?”

Grex turned to the television, and it came on by itself. A neat trick. “No.”

“Really?” Not knowing about some demonic conspiracy to keep things including angels thirsting for my blood was going to keep me safer?

“I can tell you to make sure to wear your earrings when you leave this space. If you forget even once, I may not be able to protect you anymore.”

As if I didn't know that already. “Do you think I should tell the public about the presence of angels? Press the issue?”

Grex turned to look at me. “If you do the angels and their allies will descend on this city like a very biblical plague. I don't think I need to go into more detail.”

This wasn't the first time Grex had mentioned allies. “What allies do the angels have?”

Grex smiled, changing the channel to some fishing show. “Humans, same as demons do. Take the church for example; you really think all the priests and true believers would just tell an angel no if the angel presented itself and gave them a holy mission from God?”

Probably not. “Has that happened before?”

Grex nodded. “Several times, actually. Many summoners have lost their lives to human action, after all.”

Wait. Wait just a minute. “You're saying the terrorists, the ones that target summoners, have angels putting them up to it?”

Grex shrugged, then winced. “Well, I can't state that for sure, but some in the past have. I'm unsure of what they call themselves now, but your mother would know more.”

“Wait, Mom knows angels really exist?”

Grex scoffed. “Of course not! Any human who knows is killed as a matter of course, either outright or sacrificed in suicide missions. But your mother knows the terrorist organizations involved, and that they used to claim to get messages from God. I can't imagine that has changed with time, but if you need confirmation, asking her should provide it easily.”

I wasn't that interested; the major group had changed their name last week, but I hadn't even bothered to learn the new one. They knew enough not to try anything here, in one of the major seats of the Corps's power. Except that wouldn't be true if an angel told them to come here due to meeting me, would it?

“So what does this mean for us? By your own admission, the angel isn't going to let this go.”

He frowned. “I am aware. I am thinking.”

The next question needed to be asked, but I didn't want to. I didn't want to think like this. “If you weren't burdened by me... could you drive him off or kill him?”

Grex grinned, a feral savage grin I hadn't seen in some time; it brought me back instantly to the night of the contract. “Without a doubt, my beloved Mistress.”

I really didn't want to kill an angel. Or order Grex to do it; that was basically the same as doing it myself. But I couldn't let the angel kill me or other summoners either since we were the ones actually slowing the tide of demonic destruction. The angel we'd fought had killed the demon, sure, but only because it thought I was one of his. It hadn't targeted Grex directly in our fight, it had been gunning for me.

“Say Grex, why did that angel think I was an angel?”

He snorted. “As I stated before, I believe your wings caused the misinterpretation. They are mostly white, and seem white from a distance, as an angel's wings are.”

My wings weren't that white, were they? The angel's wings had been glowing they were so white. I was sure their feathers made mine look dingy, even before the spots of gray were factored in. “Was that the only reason?”

Grex paused a moment – too long – and then continued. “A reasonable suspicion. It is possible your power also confused it; you have a... unique signature that is unlike much of creation. It is easy to theorize this also confused the angel, as they are not known to be great thinkers.”

Grex still had a lot of pent-up hatred, it seemed. “You keep saying 'it' Grex. Why do you refer to angels that way?”

Grex grinned again, showing fewer teeth this time at least. “Because angels have no gender, despite their male appearance; they do not have the freedom for such.”

Alright, I guess that made sense... but wait a minute, no it didn't. “But I clearly have a gender Grex, and it isn't male. So how would an angel mistake that?”

His reply was quick and felt practiced. “Angels are allowed to take other appearances if their mission calls for it. Lucifer himself took several while acting on God's behalf.”

Grex looked...expectant. I felt like I was missing something here. My power was muted at the time, but unlike 'much of creation', my gender was apparent and my wings different, yet I could appear as something else were I an actual angel and had a mission that called for it. So why look so close to an angel?

Wait a minute... “Grex, does my power feel like an angel's?” I hadn't had a chance to really get a feel for the one attacking me; I'd been too busy trying not to die.

Grex sighed and nodded. “Your power does feel similar to one, yes. Similar enough to be confused for such. Demons are more discerning, of course, but angels are not known to be great thinkers.”

Grex was biased, right. So I had all the power and powers of a ruler of the 9th circle of Hell, yet felt like an angel, or close enough that angels could be fooled? Something weird was going on here, I just knew it. Something beyond the obvious.

Ah, I had it. Why would Lucifer care enough to forbid demons to tell summoners or any other human that angels existed? To sow despair? That might be right, but if that was it, why not just tell us instead that the angels seemed to be anti-humanity anyway? As it was, the church was already telling us we were doomed for our sins, how would knowing angels were out there and active make that any different?

This was making my head hurt. Well, hurt more. I finished off my tea and got up.

“Whatever. We aren't done with this Grex, not by a long shot. But I'm out of questions for now.”

I couldn't just demand him to tell me what he knew, or I'd be here forever listening to the history of existence from his point of view; that was one of the oldest tricks in the book.

More tea was called for. Grex had decided he didn't want anymore when he started hiding things from me. Petty? Sure, but I was only human, despite what others thought.

When I came back, fresh tea in hand, another fishing show was on. A pretty odd choice in programming, but Grex was riveted. “Alright, so what should we do? Move? Try to get a transfer?”

Grex risked a glance over and nodded, carefully. “That is one option.”

I didn't want to do that; get run out of my home. “What are the others?”

Grex shrugged. “Kill the angel. If it's still here, it's the one you need to worry about. Sure, it's reported in by now, but angels need a reason to descend to Earth. Once here, they can stay for a compelling reason, but they need a reason first. While the death of the first angel might give reason to some, the first angel is the only one that has seen and sensed you. Kill it, and any search will be doomed to failure with the precautions we take.”

I still didn't want to kill the angel. “Other options?”

“I do not know. Let me think on it.” Well, that was a whole lot of help.

We sat in silence, watching some guy fish for monsters from the deep. Meanwhile, I worked the problem.

After some hours of that, there was a knock on the door. Since Grex wasn't in any condition to, I got up to answer it. Checking through the peephole first (reinforced so that no one could drill through it, I'd seen seven) revealed Karen, tapping her foot with her arms crossed.

I unlocked the door and stepped back; even so, she almost hit me with it. “Snow! Why is your door locked?!?

I stared at her until she blushed. At least she shut it before she went rooting around in my fridge.

I locked and tried to ignore how she was now inhaling my fresh fruit. “So how do you feel?” she asked between bites; at least she didn't try talking with her mouth full.

“I'm fine. Ready to go and do my part. Grex is still in bad shape, though.”

“Really? How bad?”

I shrugged. “Check for yourself; he's still hanging out on my couch.”

I realized too late that my chair was open in the living room. I hurried, only to find it taken already by the spirit of gluttony, who was staring at Grex from across the room as if she could see his wounds from there.

“You can't check him out from there.”

She didn't bother clearing her throat this time. “It's okay, I can tell just fine from here. So um... why exactly is he still here, bleeding on your couch?”

With a sigh, I took the other chair, the less comfortable one. “He insists on staying. Something about a worry over my safety. I've ordered him, but he refuses to go, citing our pact.”

Karen sobered up quick. She sat up and her athame was simply out.“Really?”

I waved her off. “He obeys otherwise. He just has veto room when he thinks I'm in danger. You DO remember the circumstances of my pact, right?”

Karen slid her athame back into her sleeve. “Yeah, sure, of course I do.”

I couldn't resist a face palm. “You don't remember a thing, do you?”

“Of course not!” She agreed pleasantly.

“You're an idiot, Karen.”

“Don't be like that, Snow,” she pouted. “I'm here to help you. Well and relax, unwind, and steal your beer and food after a long day. So, how far have you gotten?”

“To a solution? I've no idea. I'm working on something; it depends on if the angel is after me specifically.”

“Demon.” Karen countered bluntly, eyes rolling to meet mine.

“Whatever.” Grex had already mentioned it was an angel in her presence once before, and she knew Grex couldn't lie to me, so why the insistence? Even underselling it like she was, it was odd.

Was her strange persistence in this her own? “Anyway, if the jerk, whatever it is, is after me specifically there is something that might work, but I'm not sure if I can pull it off. If he's after us all, then my plan won't work and the only plan I have is to bait a trap and kill him.”

There was no sense needling Karen by referring to something that looked like a 'he' by using 'it'. Sure, she hadn't seen it, but she knew my description, and I wasn't sure what her game was yet. Of course, for all I knew Karen didn't know that angels had no gender. I hadn't until told, after all.

“Well, don't keep me in suspense! What's your plan?” Karen asked, getting close.

I gently pushed her out of my personal space. “To fake my own death.”

Karen whistled. “Not a bad thought.”

Grex piped up with a groan. “It will not work.”

I forced down the spike of irritation. “Why not?”

“The angel is not here for you. The angel is here for some other reason.”

Yes, I know Grex, you've said that already. But you also said it would stick around to kill me; make up your mind!

“What other reason, Grex?”

He was grinning that insufferable grin, I couldn't see his face but somehow I just knew it. “I do not know; however if I must hazard a guess, I'd say it might have to do with the increase in demon activity in this city.”

Wait, that didn't follow. Just what was he playing at? “But Grex, you told me earlier he wouldn't be interested in that.”

“No, I said it wouldn't be interested in demons themselves; a spike in demonic activity, possibly caused by humans or something else. They would investigate such a thing.”

That was quite a suggestion, and from the look he was now giving me, twisted around as he was, he had more to say. He wasn't offering it, however, which must mean he didn't want Karen to hear. Something for later.

“So, how do we find this guy? Find the rogue responsible for all the other summonings?” We'd had real luck with that so far.

“That would certainly help. By finding the summoner involved, we may use them as bait instead of yourself.”

Well, I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that he had picked up on that. He didn't sound happy with the idea, but I would make the best bait. Or was that my hubris talking? “Well that's acceptable, but we've been looking for weeks to no avail. Unless you have a lead on that?”

Grex shook his head. “I do not; however there may be a way find the summoner for you.”

I looked to Karen for good measure, and she shook her head.

“I'm open to suggestions. I think Karen is too; why don't you regale us?”

“It's simple. Send us to look. It is not as if we cannot find him, or each other when asked.”

I found myself sitting, and wondering if I'd been sitting before. Could it really be that easy? I'd been trying police work in my spare time, push pins in a map, talking to witnesses (other summoners mainly) and gotten nowhere. If it was that easy, why hadn't anyone else done it? There were a few suggestive locations, areas to check, but nothing definitive or small, and I hadn't had time and the Captain hadn't had the manpower to send on wild goose chases.

Karen was quick to answer that through an objection. “Now wait a minute. How many demons are you saying Snow can handle, here? Because the number of demons needed to blanket the city in a grid search is about double what we have access to.”

Grex didn't respond, of course. Karen wasn't his boss; I was.

I didn't ask because I was sure I knew the answer and if I was right, I didn't want her to know. Secrets; summoners gathered them like wine and hoped they aged well. Or maybe it was just me.

Time for a slight misdirection. “And of course, that means I can get involved from a position of safety, right Grex?”

He played along. “That idea might have influenced my thinking, yes.”

He knew and approved. I wasn't sure if that was a good or bad thing.

Karen wasn't deterred. “How many, Snow?”

I shrugged. “I don't really know, I've never tried to hold more than three – you know that. But it is more than three and combined with a good map, it might be enough. Certainly, if Grex is suggesting it, it can't be a bad idea.”

“You aren't talking about that stupid map again, are you?” Karen groaned out.

“Hey, the map is not stupid! It's old fashioned police work, and it showed the first-week site attacks drew a pentagram!”

Karen rolled her eyes. “Of course it did, because pentagrams are the most overused thing ever, in every situation demons get involved in. Look, we went to the center of it, we went to all the cardinal points of it, and yes someone made a ritual circle of the entire town. But whatever that circle was meant for didn't happen, and the summoner was not there; not in any location designed to take best advantage. Since then the attacks have been random.”

I shook my head. It wasn't random; the summoner or summoners knew ADTF procedure and response times. They knew where we were, and attacked us, or attacked to draw us out. I wasn't willing to say it was an inside job yet since the internet exists, but the target of the demonic forays was clear. And demons both knew their own and could sense each other if directed.

The problem was a power issue; (sending weaker demons against stronger usually didn't work) most demons don't have the power to sense their own from a distance. But with enough coverage, I really could check everywhere, given time.

I idly wondered if I could sense demons, and if so, what my range was. It was a power, after all.

Something to try another time; Karen was talking. “....you can try it if you want, but don't stress yourself. I'll approve it as your superior on that grounds. Also, you should totally let me watch.”

Yeah, that wasn't a good thing to have happen ever; I was probably going to summon more than anyone thought I should be able to. In fact, the best way to handle it would simply be to let Grex handle it... but Grex probably wasn't in the best shape to.

“Sure. It'll take me some time to set up, though. I'll work it out.” Even with a dedicated circle, summoning demons was inherently dangerous. The more demons, the more dangerous.

Unless of course you handle it like I was going to; I had another crazy plan, already. Something I'd have to discuss with an expert whose head won't explode at the very idea. And I didn't even have to lie to Karen or anyone else; I could pull the summoning she expected off too.

“Alright Karen, you've eaten my snacks, probably snuck some of my booze somehow when I wasn't looking and sat in the only good chair in my living room. Anything else you want to do before you go back to your own apartment to sleep?”

Karen blushed a little; I was pretty sure she was faking that. “Well, when you put it that way... yes?”

I sighed; of course. “What, then, do you want?”

“I want to play your games some first.”

Was I actually going to have to buy another television just for Karen to use while here? “Fine, whatever, knock yourself out.”

up
280 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Yay!

More of my favorite story! And it appears that the game is afoot or some such. Looking forward to the next chapter.

an early christmas pressie

dawnfyre's picture

thanks.

can't wait for more.


Stupidity is a capital offense. A summary not indictable.

If memory serves.......

D. Eden's picture

Maeve's power feels like that of an Angel because as the ruler of the ninth circle of Hell, she is in fact an angel - just as Lucifer is as well, fallen that he may be.

Interesting that Lucifer has forbidden the demons from telling her certain things. Perhaps if she can trap the Angel she can get some answers from him........

As always, seeing another chapter of this story brightens my day. I hope that there is more forthcoming soon!

Dallas

D. Eden

Dum Vivimus, Vivamus

Still not buying the whole

Still not buying the whole 'angels hunt summoners' shtick. The way the twins and Grex were acting during that part of the conversation was just too suspicious. They were obviously hiding things from her. If angels really were directing kill squads towards summoners, the authorities would at least have some idea about it to some degree. After all, they would investigate who was killing their best defense against demons, no matter how rare the killings are.

Maybe, as well as the things they have been told not to tell her by Lucifer, they are trying to make her not panic? After all, the angel coming down to discover why there has been a large increase in demon activity is plausible, if suspicious after Grex told her they dont usually come down to investigate that, but telling her that an angel has come down to investigate her would be rather stressful on her, especially as she is still developing her power and skills.

Lastly, not buying Grex's notion that Angels are dumb. After all, Lucifer and his old guard of fallen angels and Grex and the Erinyes are all angels as well, so the Angels of the Heavenly Host would be just an intelligent, if not as free.

I think Maeve will have to release some of her ear-rings in order to summon her demon footsoldiers, which will reveal her wings. Likely, this will happen in full view of her summoner and police colleagues. Then there will be interesting questions to answer, and she may even have to go on the run......

Kahnage,

As always with RiH, you have to look not only at what's being said but the source. You're absolutely right to be questioning whatever demons are telling Maeve - or in fact, what they tell everyone else. Even something as simple as Grex painting the angels with the brush he has might be true - or not. He's a demon, after all. It's in the job description.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij

Glad to see my 2 favorite

Glad to see my 2 favorite demon hunters back in action! Great chapter

Overseer?

mmmmm...Mom?? Can she still??

alissa

Alissa;

No, Mom is retired and powerless. Maeve isn't the typical summoner; most summoner's power comes directly from the demon they summon; when the demon is gone/contract ends, only the knowledge remains, and demons won't contract with a summoner who's already made one. Maeve is different....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you appreciate my tales, please consider supporting me on Patreon so that I may continue:

https://www.patreon.com/Nagrij