Honey Bunny: 5

Printer-friendly version
The New Bunnies’ second performance
Ally in her Bunny outfit
Sometimes it is more important to listen to your inner voice than those around you.


Honey Bunny

Chapter 5

by Louise Anne Smithson

Copyright © 2015 Louise Anne Smithson
All Rights Reserved.

 


 
Chapter 5: A problem - or no problem? 
I didn’t mention my potential clash at work when I saw Carol and Beth on Wednesday afternoon as I didn’t want to worry them whilst there was still a possibility that the problem might be resolved. We went through our new numbers one more time and decided that we were quite happy with them and in any event there was not a lot that could be changed at this late stage. We also tried out Goodbye to Love, using a karaoke track. I borrowed a skirt from Carol and the pair of heels from Beth and we practised a number of the dance steps together so that next time we appeared on stage I would no longer be quite so wooden. However, I reverted to Alex mode before Aunt Emma was due home as I didn’t want her to think that I was spending all my free time dressed as a girl. After dinner, the three of us adjourned to Carol’s room to discuss what we were going to wear on the coming Friday evening since Beth was not going to be available on the Thursday due to her exam.

The Bunnies had previously invested in two matching sets of stage costumes which Alice had left behind when she decided to withdraw from the group. There were the short, black, sexy-but-fairly-formal dresses that we’d worn the previous Friday and Tuesday, and another trio of fairly sparkly and very feminine looking dresses. These were strapless, made of light blue spandex with a sequinned bodice, with hems that came just above the knee and four tiers of flounces. I tried on this outfit and discovered that Alice’s dress fitted me without any difficulty, and would not betray my artificial boobs. There was however a problem with the matching high-heeled sandals which came with the dress. Alice’s shoes were a full size too small for me. I could only just get them on but they would be quite difficult for me to wear, especially if I were to be dancing in them. However, Beth came up with a solution. We already knew that her shoes fitted me without too much trouble, and she was able to wear Carol’s shoes which were a half size larger than Alice’s. Carol, in turn, could just fit into those of Alice.

Once we had satisfied ourselves that the second of the two stage costumes was going to be alright for the coming performance we changed back into our everyday clothes, with me reverting to Alex mode. Beth left us at nine thirty for the quarter mile walk back to her home, whilst it was still light. We both gave her a hug and offered our best wishes for her exam the following day. After Beth had left Carol turned to me.

‘So you don’t have to go in to work tomorrow, Alex?’

‘No, I’ve already completed all my hours for this week.’

‘I’ll have to go into Portsmouth tomorrow to put my name down at an employment agency. I was wondering whether Ally would like to come in with me and we could take a look around the shops together afterwards. Beth has left her pair of flat heels for you to borrow and I’ll find something suitable of mine for you to wear.’

‘I don’t know, Carol,’ I replied in an uncertain voice.

‘But I thought you enjoyed spending time as Ally.’

‘I do, but I’m just a little anxious about what your mother will think if I spend so much time dressed as a girl.’

‘Well, it’s up to you. Mum now knows about Ally, and as far as I’m concerned the more experience you can get as a girl prior to the performance on Friday the better.’

Then, as an afterthought, she added: ‘We can always get you changed after Mum has gone in to work and we’ll be home before she returns, if you prefer.’

‘Won’t one of your neighbours notice if I come and go dressed as both a boy and a girl.’

‘I doubt it – this neighbourhood tends to be like a dormitory during the day. But so what if someone does see you? You look entirely convincing when you’re dressed as a girl.’

I knew what she said was true.

‘Let me have a think about it tonight,’ I replied.

‘Alright then. If you change your mind and want to come with me, I’ll be leaving on the 10.30 bus and coming back at about 4.00pm.’

I retired to my room wondering why Carol’s invitation had been so specifically extended to Ally and not to Alex and what I thought about the idea. Also, I began to worry about what I was going to do if I were to be required for Mcduties on the coming Friday afternoon and evening.

~o~O~o~

‘What are you planning to do today, Alex?’ Aunt Emma asked me over breakfast the next morning.

‘I’m not working today so I thought I might have a look around Portsmouth,’ I replied.

Carol and I exchanged a glance over the breakfast table and she smiled.

‘I’ll be going in later, maybe we can go in together.’

‘Yes, thanks, Carol, I’d like that.’

‘So long as I know whether you intend to be back in time for dinner,’ said Aunt Emma.

‘No problem, Mum, we’ll be back before five, and I’ll start preparing the meal.’

As soon as Aunt Emma had left for work and we’d finished the washing up my cousin turned to me.

‘Ok, let’s get down to work. Nothing too girly for today - that can wait until tomorrow night. We just need to get you looking like a normal young lady out on a shopping trip. In fact, before my sister left she gave me a trouser suit and a blouse which would suit you.’

‘I’m in your hands.’

She smiled: ‘Maybe, but I think it is now time that you took some responsibility for your own hair and makeup.’

‘Are you sure that’s wise?’

‘Don’t worry I’ll keep a watchful eye on your efforts to ensure that there are no disasters.

In the event, there were no major problems. For a beginner I’d become reasonably proficient at putting on my makeup.

~o~O~o~

About eleven thirty-five, two smartly dressed young women alighted from the Waterlooville bus when it arrived at Commercial Road, Portsmouth. I felt and looked quite confident about the way I was dressed and there had been no untoward incidents or curious stares at me as we left the house or during the journey. Carol had loaned me one of her old handbags together with a hair brush and a powder compact. She had told me to keep an eye on how I looked, but without making it too obvious. We made our way to one of the employment agencies in the area, where Carol completed an application form. My cousin was nearly two years older than me and had some experience of working in retail, and so she was not merely given details of the McJobs available as I had been. She was offered an interview with a local supermarket the following Monday morning.

‘I suppose that’s a start,’ she commented to me without too much enthusiasm. ‘How about we now do something that’s a little more interesting?’

‘What do you have in mind?’ I asked.

‘Let’s go and have a look at some dresses.’

I did as she suggested and was happy to accompany my cousin as she proceeded to scour the racks in a number of dress shops in the town and try on half a dozen items. I was willing to give her my opinion as to how they looked and whether or not they suited her and for the first time I found that I was taking genuine interest in the detailed design and colour schemes of the clothes. At the same time I was conscious that, in other circumstances, Alex would have been far more hesitant about voicing any such opinion, and would probably not even have noticed.

‘Come on Ally, I think it is time you tried on some things, how about this one?’ said Carol handing over a summery pink number.

‘I don’t have the money available to buy any clothes at present,’ I replied.

‘Nor do I, but that’s all the more reason to try on things now, so that when we do earn a little money we’ll know what we to want to buy.’

By mid-afternoon, we’d each tried on half a dozen outfits but bought nothing. We then caught the bus back to Waterlooville Precinct where we called in to do some grocery shopping for my aunt in the local Asda supermarket, and were home by 4.30pm.

‘So have you enjoyed your day out as a girl?’ Carol asked.

‘Yes, I believe I have,' I admitted.

‘I thought so and I’ve enjoyed having your company as a girl cousin,’ she replied with a smile.

So it wasn't only related to the music. Carol seemed also to enjoy Ally's company.

~o~O~o~

I’d successfully transformed myself back to Alex, leaving no clues behind, by the time my aunt returned home shortly before six. In the meanwhile Carol had prepared our evening meal.

‘Will you be able to give the three of us a lift to the Red Lion tomorrow night as Beth’s dad is going to be busy,’ Carol asked her mother over dinner.

‘Yes, I guess so. Will you also need a lift home afterwards?’

‘Ally and I would appreciate a lift, but I expect Beth’s father will collect her at the end of the show.’

‘I’d like to see the three of you in action, but I probably won’t stay for the whole of the evening. I’ll take you there and then perhaps come back and watch the last half hour of your show.’

‘In that case come back for us at about 11.00pm and you won't have to pay to get into the show,’ said Carol.

My cousin rang Beth during the course of the evening, to see how she’d performed in her exam, and to confirm the arrangements about her coming over to the house the next morning. My two colleagues were now free of exams and had decided that the bulk of Friday 23rd May was going to be dedicated to getting the Honey Bunnies ready for their next show.

~o~O~o~

I’d still received no word from my McManager when Beth arrived at 9.45am on Friday morning. If I was going to have to work I’d be expected to start at midday – he was cutting it very fine to let me know if he wanted me to go into work that day.

‘Alright Ally, I think we’ll begin with your nails as the acrylic is going to take a little time to cure,’ Beth announced.

There was a beep from my telephone, and my friend stopped as I quickly read the message.

Alex – sorry but I have been unable to find a replacement for you so I need you at twelve today – I will then give your timetable for next week.

‘Is there a problem?’ asked Beth as she noticed me frown as I read the message.

I looked up and noticed the pretty dress that I was going to be wearing on a hanger on the wardrobe door and the sandals on the floor underneath. There was no question in my mind as to my decision. There was no way that I was going to let my colleagues down.

‘No problem,' I replied, 'I just need to send a quick text message to work before we make a start.’

I hurriedly tapped out a message.

Sorry – I did explain to you – I am unable to work today, Alex.

‘My manager can cook his own chips for once. It may mean the end of my McCareer but I have a far more interesting opportunity this evening, even it is only for one more day,’ I thought to myself.

As soon as the message was sent I turned off my phone and put it away. I wouldn’t be turning it on again until after our performance later that evening.

‘OK, I’m all yours,’ I said to Beth, smiling.

‘No Ally, we’re all equals today helping one another to get ready for this evening,’ said Carol.

Over the next eight hours I was shown how to help the others with their complexions, to de-fuzz their arms and legs, to manicure their hands and feet and style their hair, just as they did for me. It may seem a little far-fetched to suggest that three girls could spend so long in getting themselves ready to go out for an evening, but it was so. Yet it was also great fun and I found myself forming a closer bond with my cousin and her friend than I had ever done with anyone else before. It seemed unthinkable that I could have let them down by dropping out of a performance at the last minute. There was no longer any pressure from exams, jobs etc. only our forthcoming performance to look forward to.

Although I spent the whole of the day as Ally we did not put on our costumes until we were ready to go out. Therefore we were able to pop out to the Precinct to make a few minor purchases and have some lunch together. Then afterwards we went through our songs for the evening together with our newly perfected dance moves using a karaoke machine. Aunt Emma returned at 6.00pm and Carol called out to her mother that there was food ready in the oven for her, that we were busy getting ready and would be down in an hour.

Eventually we were all ready.

‘You go first, Ally, we’ll follow you,’ suggested my cousin.

I did as she said, feeling a little self-conscious, but also knowing that we all looked great. There was an audible gasp from Aunt Emma as we entered the room.

‘Well, Mum, what do you think of your niece?’ asked Carol.

‘I think you all three look absolutely wonderful. You looked good when I saw you on Tuesday, but even better now.’

We thanked her and there followed about five minutes of admiration and detailed discussion of our costumes.

‘What are you going to wear round your shoulders when you go out, Ally?’ asked my Aunt.

‘It’s quite warm this evening, I should be alright as I am,’ I replied.

‘But it won’t be so warm when you come home tonight. Wait a minute!’

She disappeared to her room and came back with a blue jacket for me to wear and also a shoulder bag.

‘Susan left behind a few things. She asked me to take them to a charity shop for her, but I haven’t had a chance to do so.’

'Thanks, Aunt Emma,' I replied taking them from her.

'I wouldn't want my niece to catch cold,' she replied with a knowing smile.

~o~O~o~

To describe the second show by the Honey Bunnies at the Red Lion as a success would be an understatement. We looked good and had by now mastered (if that is the right word?) our stage routine. I would never make a top rate dancer but at least I was able to move in time to the music along with the others. We also now had a somewhat wider repertoire stretching back over a fifty year period, and the musicians were more experienced in supporting us. But equally, the audience was larger than before and more appreciative. Word had clearly got round about our previous appearance. George came up to me just after we’d finished the first half.

‘That was wonderful, Ally, I’m so glad that you’ve decided to stay with the Bunnies.’

‘You three provided us with great support, but I’m not the only singer, so make sure you say something nice to the others as well.’

‘I will do so, but you’re the one that gives the group something extra.’

Midway through the second half of our show I noticed Aunt Emma join the audience and I was pleased that we continued to be on good form until the end, and that she was there to witness the enthusiastic applause we received. As expected, there were several calls for an encore. James looked expectantly at me.

‘Goodbye to love?’ he asked.

‘Shall we give it a go?’ I asked Carol and Beth.

‘Why not, said Beth.’

The song began with my solo voice: 'I'll say goodbye to love.'

After two bars George and Tom came in with a gentle keyboard and drum backing. After the second verse everyone came in with a couple of lines of chorus before James embarked on the first of two guitar solos, this one sticking close to the melody, but also showing off his skill as a lead guitarist. I then came in with the final verse together with Beth and Carol ooh-ing and aah-ing in the background. There was no need for any dance routine on this occasion. The final third of the song was instrumental, with a chorus of ahs in the background. It began with a brief drum intro from Tom followed by James going off into the stratosphere with his guitar with the first ever ‘power ballad’. Of course, we could never be compared with the Carpenters original with the Tony Peluso guitar solo, but we were pretty damn good, all the same, and the audience showed their appreciation of our efforts. James was grinning from ear to ear as he took a separate bow, then he turned and bowed to me. I had the distinct impression that were it not that his girlfriend was in the front row of the audience he would have hugged and kissed me as well.

‘I think you may have made a friend for life, James has been on about that song for as long as I’ve known him,’ said Beth as we were changing our dresses.

I didn’t respond but felt very proud of what we’d just done.

‘So what did you think of the Honey Bunnies new line up?’ asked Carol as we got into the car.

‘I think you were brilliant, much better than when Alice was a member of the group. You also seem to have a wider repertoire now.’

‘That’s thanks to Ally,’ said Carol.

‘What will you be saying to Mum and Dad about tonight?’ I asked, changing the subject.

My aunt sighed.

‘That is rather up to you, dear,’ she replied.

‘Maybe I can tell them that I’ve joined a band as a singer, but without specifying that it is a girl band called the Honey Bunnies.’

‘I won’t volunteer any information that you do not want them to know, but neither will I tell them an outright lie.’

‘Thanks, Aunt Emma.’

My aunt went to bed as soon as we got home. At first Carol and I were far too elated to sleep. We went to her bedroom and hugged one another with sheer joy at the way the evening had gone. This time there was no need to go creeping round garden sheds to get changed out of our costumes and take off our makeup. We could now do so in the comfort of Carol’s bedroom.

‘By the way, when do you next need to work?’ Carol asked as she was carefully taking out my hair pieces.

I’d forgotten all about the McJob during the course of the day.

‘I’m not sure, I’ll just check,’ I said turning my phone on once again.

I waited a little while for any text messages to come through. I expected to find one either dismissing me from my employment or else another providing me with my work rota for the next few days. There was neither, and I was not sure what this meant. However at least nobody was expecting me to make an appearance first thing on Saturday morning. I noticed my manicured and lacquered acrylic nails as I operated the phone and smiled at how nice they looked. I didn’t feel in the mood to dip them in acetone and pull them off as it would somehow break the spell.

‘It looks as if I’m not needed in work tomorrow so I’ll have plenty of time to sort out my finger nails in the morning,’ I said to Carol.

‘Yes, that would suit me as I’m beginning to feel exhausted. So goodnight Ally and thanks for everything that you’ve done for the Bunnies.’

‘It’s been my pleasure,’ I replied and for once I really meant it.


 
Next time: The consequences of our success

Thanks to Angharad and to Bronwen for proofreading. Louise

up
382 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Loss of comments and kudos

This chapter has lost the comments and kudos awarded when it was first posted so please be generous :-) Louise

The right decision

I'm glad Alex didn't spend much if any time contemplating the decision between McCrap and performing. At his/her age, making the decision to risk everything on a dream is a lot easier than it would be later, and it looks like this decision will be for the best for our protagonist by far.

Melanie E.

Thank you, Louise,

A delightful story as always,your writing really is a joy.

ALISON

Hmmm, I hear Bunny music

Hmmm, I hear Bunny music coming down the street. Betting the girls and guys get a lot of new "gigs" for themselves and are really starting to make a name for their Honey Bunnies group. "McDs" just may be out of the picture for the foreseeable future if not forever.

Who Needs McD's?

Christina H's picture

Great story Louise I am loving it and I've a feeling Ally will not need the McJob for much longer - but how will her parents react?

Chrissie

Something better to say.

Hypatia Littlewings's picture

Alex needed some better reason then "going out with friends", but of course he had brain freeze since there was no way he was going to give the real reason in it entirety. Some sort of of prior commitment explanation that pulling out of would cause others problems or cost in some way.

>i< ..:::

They Should Not Be Able To Run Your Life

joannebarbarella's picture

McDs or whoever else like them should be organised enough to have back-ups for work situations. If they can't do that they're definitely not worth working for (they're not anyway).

"Take this job & shove it, I ain't workin here no more"

Bravo! Bravo! The first is for Louise Anne, the second for Ally
Working at Micky Ds' flipping burgers will only ruin your complexion, a lady should always take caution.
Dump Mickey's anything's better then that.

Cefin