The White Wolf Chapter -43-

Printer-friendly version
Jesse has inherited his Grandfather's ranch.
Now he must fight his father to keep it while he must
honor his Grandfather's last wish of seeking Coyote.

The White Wolf

Chapter 43
Eggs

by Barbara Allan

Copyright © 2013, 2014 Barbara Allan
All Rights Reserved.

Image: Free Wallpaper from http://www.scenicreflections.com/ ~Sephrena.

Author's Note: Thank you Hope for your encouragement and help in editing. Thank you Sephrena for making the post appear professional. Most of all thank you to all who have commented or left Kudos. For those who have left comments, I answer them with what I hope is something witty and appreciated. ~Barbara.


 
Chapter 43: Eggs
 

Jess got up early to start breakfast. Normally there would be real lard based homemade biscuits. But with Gail still in Helena with George and her family the young girl didn't have the time. The ranch hands would be coming just before first light so they will have all day to make the needed repairs to the ranch, check on the livestock, and just generally do things that keep a ranch running. The cowboys would eat a hearty breakfast as they may not get lunch if their work takes them away from the main part of the ranch. The young woman pulled the large coffee maker out , loaded the basket, added the water and turned it on to perk. Perked coffee may be slower, but it's worth the taste and the volume one can't get from a drip coffee maker. She pulled the bacon, eggs, links and patty sausage out of the fridge and sat them on the counter. Next she turned on the griddle portion of the stove to let it warm up. She pulled a large sauce pan out to fill with water. She would use this water for oatmeal.

She knew the smell of the coffee and the frying bacon and sausage would wake those in the house. This is the way it is in countless homes and ranches across the farming communities. Gabriel walked into the kitchen and slipped his hands around her waist and kissed her neck. "A man could get used to this." he said.

She turned in his arms and before she could ask "Used to what?", He kissed her solidly on the mouth and held her tight until she gave in to the kiss. "Let me get back to my cooking. The others will be here soon. You can help if you will get the whop'em biscuits out of the fridge and into the convection oven."

The young man walked over to the fridge and removed 10 cans of biscuits. He gathered the cookie sheets they used for this purpose and set them on the table. He peeled the wrapper from around the paper can and whopped it against the edge of the table to break the seal. Then he placed the biscuits to where they were just touching. Where they touched would be soft like the center and the biscuits wouldn't come out like hockey pucks. The oven pinged alerting the young couple that it was up to temperature. He slid the biscuits in just as the first ranch hand came in.

"Good morning Joe. You always seem to be the first one here for breakfast," said the young girl. "Grab some coffee and everything will be ready in a few."

"Good morning. You know how I like breakfast. Have you heard from George or Gail?"

"No, but I'll call later today and see when he's coming back. They may decide to stay a few days and visit if the doctor told him to take it easy for a few days after the severe dehydration you all suffered."

"I still don't know how those rustlers got the drop on us. We called the Sheriffs Office and the next thing we know we were tied up a gun point."

"The dispatcher was the ringleader of that bunch. So when you called, he called the others to alert them of your presence," explained the young man. "I'm glad we came along when we did, or there could have been more of you in worst shape than George. Also, I expect they planned on killing you as they left"

"Jesse, you were back east when all this started. Why did you come looking for us?"

"It was Gail. She hadn't heard from George since I left and came back. She sent us out looking for you. I asked Silver Ears to help us find you. He let us know that there was trouble before we blundered into the gang of rustlers."

"Silver Ears? I don't believe I know him. Is he one of the local Indians?"

"This may be hard to believe, but he is one of the leaders of that wild pack of wolves up on the mountain. He brought in some more of the pack to help us round up the bad guys."

"Wolves helping you! I know you're special, but talking to wolves or working with them, that is hard to believe."

"You know my Grandfather had a standing order never to shoot or shoot at any of the wolves on the ranch." Joe nodded "It is because there seems to be some sort of mystical connection between them and our family. It started so many years ago that few know of its origin. I don't think my Grandfather knew why there is the connection."

"Do you know how it began?"

"I learned before I went back east when I went on my spirit quest. Next time we have a bar-b-cue and campfire I'll tell the story."

"That sounds good." As they finished talking the rest of the hands began coming in. Some would greet Jesse and ask about George. Some just grunted as they weren't morning people. Once they had that first cup of coffee they became more pleasant. The young woman had started the second large percolator when the first one looked like it would run dry.

While they sat and ate, Joe began handing out jobs for the day as he was the next in the chain of command on the ranch. He would meet with Jesse and George often enough that Jess trusted him. Many times he would lead men on an extended ride to the furthest parts of the ranch if there was a job to do that would take more than a day. It was Joe who led the fall round-up each year. After the hands were given their assignments, they would leave to begin their day.

"I'll be glad when Gail gets back. No offense, but I like her biscuits a whole lot better than the store bought. Even hers would be better if there was some honey to go with them."

"Now that is a good idea, Joe. If one of the hands has some experience or is willing to learn about beekeeping, maybe we can set up some hives and have fresh honey off the ranch instead of store bought as you say."

"I'll ask around and get back to you. Thanks for breakfast. See you this evening."

"I hadn't thought about raising bees to help out around here, but it's a good idea," she told Gabriel. She grabbed a plate and dished the young man some breakfast as he had been helping her serve the cowboys and hadn't eaten. As he sat down a sleepy little girl appeared in the doorway rubbing her eyes.

"Good morning Merry. How'd you sleep last night?" asked the young cowhand. The little girl walked over to him and climbed into his lap, yawned, and laid her head on his chest. She wasn't asleep, but wasn't awake either. The young man let her snuggle into him as he stroked her hair and kissed the top of her head. He loved the feeling of protection he could give the girl.

"Now that looks natural," said the young woman.

"I'm just dreaming of the day when we'll be married with your belly swollen and little ones running around getting ready for school."

"And just how many kids do you want?"

"Oh, enough to fill this house and make it feel like a home."

"So you plan on marrying me and moving in do you?"

"Yep"

"What if I say no when you propose?"

"I'll just have to keep courting you until you finally give in just to get some peace."

"You're that sure of yourself"

"Yep"

"Good, I like a man who is confident." she walked over and kissed him then kissed Merry. "You should wake her, so you both can eat. Your breakfast is getting cold."

"Time to wake up little one." he tickled her under her chin. She squirmed to snuggle tighter and whined a little because she was enjoying the warmth of the young man. He tickled her some more. "Come on baby girl time to wake up."

"I'm not a baby." she said trying not to giggle as he tickled her. She tried to pout, but the cowboy just squeezed her in a hug and held her.

"Are you awake enough to help me eat breakfast? Far Wanderer put too much food on the plate." She nodded her head, so the young man picked up a fork full of eggs. "Here ya go." He would give the girl a bite then he would take a bite. Jess stood by the sink watching the two eat. She sighed contentedly at the thought of creating a family with this man. Just a few short weeks ago, she was thinking how to let him know she was male, and now she is planning a family with him. Yes she was content.

It wasn't long before the two other souls that were occupying the house entered the kitchen. "Debbie, after breakfast, would you mind taking Merry up stairs and get her dressed for the day. Gabriel and I will clean up."

"What do you have on the agenda for today, so I'll know what clothes to put on her."

"Well, I think we will start by gathering eggs. Then see if there are any fresh greens in the garden for lunch. After lunch, I need to check on that field where we will plant sweet corn and potatoes. I think Big Spot may want to come along."

"Do you have another horse? I may like to come for a ride with you." asked Gabriel's sister.

"Sure there is always an extra horse around. Teacher do you want come with us? It will give us a chance to learn some of the language as you give the names of the things we see."

"That does sound like a good idea."

"Hey, boyfriend! You get to come too. I need you to saddle the horses."

"Now that she wants something, She calls me boyfriend. Do you see how she treats me Two Bears?"

"Don't get me in the middle of this."

"I know how to get you to help," said the sister. She started walking toward the young man wiggling her fingers like she was going to tickle him.

"Back off. I have a little girl and I'm not afraid to use her."

"Easy now," said Jess. "Put the girl down and back away, and no one gets hurt."

Gabriel was whispering in Merry's ear. "Okay I'll put her down."

"Slowly, and keep your hands where we can see them."

The cowboy eased the little girl out of his lap and just as he turned her loose on the floor he said, "Now." The little girl ran over to the sister and started tickling her. The sister gathered the girl up in her arms saying, "You got me." The adults laughed at the antics they each pulled on each-other.

"Come on Merry," said the sister. "Lets leave these crazy people to clean up and find you some clothes to put on." With that the sister put the girl down and took her hand to lead her upstairs.

"Two Bears, I'll wash, if you dry. And Jess can put everything away. We should be finished by the time the other two get back."

"That sounds like a plan."

They were just finishing putting the last dishes away when the Debbie brought the little girl back down. "I don't think your grandmother got rid of any clothes. I found these cowgirl boots and jeans in that trunk in the attic. They're just a little too big, but Merry will grow into them. They should be just right for gathering eggs."

"While y'all are doing your morning chores, Gabe and I better run home and check on my parents and see if they need anything."

"Okay. You'll be back right after lunch?"

"Unless there is something big happening at the ranch, we'll be back. Gabe do you want to leave your truck here and just take my car."

"Lets take the truck in case we need it. It won't take but just a minute to get the trailer off it."

"Why not leave the trailer on it, and I can bring my horse over instead of borrowing one of Jesse's."

"Good thinking. Jess we'll be back as soon as we can." The rancher pulled the older girl in his arms and kissed her, then walked out the door.

"Merry are you ready to gather the eggs? You want be afraid of the chickens?"

"I'm a wolf. Wolves aren't afraid of a silly chicken."

"OK, I'll let you hold the basket. You won't drop it?"

"No."

"Lets go then." Jess grab the basket that she used to gather and carry the eggs or vegetables that sat by the door. She opened the gate to the chicken yard where they could get in, but not let the chickens out. There was a 55 gallon drum that held the chicken feed next to the gate. She spread the feed around the yard and filled the watering trough. They opened the door to the coop and shooed the chickens out into the yard to eat the feed. This made gathering the eggs easier. There was one old hen still setting in her nest box. Jesse told the little girl that the hen was probably trying to hatch her eggs.

"Why is the hen sitting on the eggs? Won't they break?"

"They won't break. It takes a lot of squeezing or or a sharp rap to break an egg. She sits on them to keep them warm. If they get cold, the chicks may die before they hatch."

"There're chicks in the eggs?"

"Yeah, Some of the eggs will have chicks in them. They grow in the eggs until they are big enough to come out. Then they will grow up to be chickens."

Sex education comes early to those who live on a farm. One can't keep children from witnessing the animals breeding and giving birth. If the parents don't make a big deal out of the animals having sex, the children tend to think it is just part of life. A three year old may not understand, but they have other concerns as their world revolves around them.

"We'll take the eggs into the candle room and take a look inside the eggs." The older girl took the basket from the smaller, "You did a good job of holding the basket." In reality the basket was sitting on the floor as it became heavy with eggs.

They walked into the candle room where the older girl turned on the candle light and turned off the room light where they can see better. "See. When we put the egg on the candle light you can see inside the egg. We are looking for eggs that have chicks in them."

"How will we know?"

"You have to know what to look for. My grandfather taught me and I will teach you." Jess went through several eggs before she found one with the embryo of a chick. "See this egg. It doesn't have a chick, but this one does. Can you see the difference?"

"A little."

"That's okay. As you get older and have more practice, you will be able to tell the difference. We'll take the ones with the chicks and slip them under that old hen. Maybe, she won't notice and hatch all these chicks for us." They were walking over to the gate to leave the chicken yard when the rooster decided it was time to chase the intruders out of the yard. The rooster's spurs had been cut earlier so he couldn't hurt anyone.

He started to peck at Merry when she turned around and growled. "If you don't want me to eat you, you better run." The rooster saw that the little girl wasn't going to run from him and was actually growling at him. He took the hint and ran the other direction.

"I wish I had done that when I was little. I was always so frightened of the rooster that was in here. You are a brave little girl."


 
To Be Continued...

up
271 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

Growling at the rooster

That brought memories of my own childhood. Though usually it was the chickens that would peck at me when I looked for eggs at my grandparents or uncles.

Merry's antics got a nice chuckle/giggle out of me. Thank you for the story!

Memories

My grandparents had a farm eieio. No eieio goes with McDonalds. Wait thats hamburgers. So much for his cow. The cow goes sizzle sizzle.

My dad and mom insisted on a garden.Polebean fuzz makes me itch. TMI Barb

Thanks for reading

Hugs

Barb Allan

Story Enhancement

You might want to read "The Way of the Shaman" or "Cave and Cosmos, or both, by Michael Harner. The information gleaned from these books would really punch up the story.

Best,

DJ

if i can find them

I did read the Sacred about. Native American religion

Thanks for the hint and for reading

Hugs

Barb Allan

Amazon

Amazon has both titles dirt cheap.

The rooster never botherd me. That was the Tom turkey's sole area of responsibility. I have run many miles with that beast pecking my butt and stirring up a sand storm with his wing tips.

Memories

Dahlia's picture

Thank you for the nostalgia of my childhood years. I was raised on a farm and so miss it as I reach my midlife. There truly is no place better for a child to grow up than a farm. It is a lot of hard work but in the end it teaches work ethic. Something that has become lost in the last 40 years.

Dahlia

I agree

Since i have been married, i have had to live in town. Each time we moved it seema my yard got smaller. Now i live on a postage stamp size yard. Sigh

Thank you for reading

Hugs

Barb Allan

I'll always remember the cockeral (rooster) -

I'll always remember the cockerel that lorded it over the hens on the borstal farm. He was a huge 'Light Sussex' bird and when he was introduced to the 'black leghorn' flock, the boss hen in the pecking order came straight over to challenge him.

Black Leghorns are a small, skinny breed but she impudently ran at him flapping her wings furiously and even tried to peck him. BIG, BIG mistake! He gave her one massive peck that subdued her instantly and then he promptly mounted her. His arrival put paid to all the ructions in the constantly re-adjusting pecking order and within hours, all the hens from all levels of the pecking order were free to come and go in and out of the barn into the field. He was the best enforcer of law and order I've ever seen and he gave the visiting crows and cats hell as well. Even the dog was afraid of him. Even we humans weren't that immune from his vicious attacks because he could peck and rake you with his spurs which were never removed. He was a vicious bugger!

bev_1.jpg

Sounds like supper to me

I don't put up with naughty animals long. If they don't behave it's the oven.

Always love to hear from you

Thanks for reading

Hugs

Barb Allan

Such an enjoyable story...

...And a realism about how life goes on in the midst of change. I look forward to George being back, but that others step in, subtle things change and the laughter and growl of a small child.
I like so many things in this story and writing.

Hugs, JessieC

Jessica E. Connors

Jessica Connors