Just another Battletech story.

Printer-friendly version

*** Author's Note: All trademarked and copyrighted material belong to Catalyst Game Labs and Wizkids Entertainment. I'm just playing in one of my all time favorite universes. ***

Ichiyama/The Factory

Solaris VII

Rahneshire, Federated Commonwealth

27 June 3049

“We’ve got a great fight for you tonight! A challenge match for the top rung of Blue Ladder I in the Open Class. Just weeks before the start of this season’s Tournament of Champions! Reigning champion of the Lyran Sector Shana O’Neill versus hot newcomer Sir MacDonald Blakeney. Catapult versus Marauder! Steiner versus Davion!” The announcer’s voice came over the com as Shana walked her Catapult down the tunnel into the arena floor. She stopped the ‘mech just inside the starting box. Each pilot would wait in the starting boxes on either side of the giant arena while TBC ran ads and some background footage of each pilot.

Shana sighed. She didn’t want to be here, but Blakeney wasn’t giving her a choice. Just like he didn’t give her a choice ten years ago.

***

Port Royale

Sierra

Periphery/Free Worlds League

14 December 3039

The man pointed over in the maintenance bay at the blue Catapult. “Look, boy. You unlock the cockpit and command codes for that ‘mech, and you’ll get a nice reward.”

The thin young man sitting handcuffed in a folding chair looked up at Sir MacDonald Blakeney through eyes nearly swollen shut, “Pound sand up your ass, federat. I’m not going to help you steal my ‘mech out from under me.”

Blakeney picked up a folder from the desk, “Sean O’Neill, apprentice mechwarrior, fifteen years old, though you look younger. No formal education. Grew up as a mascot of the Fifth Oriente Hussars.” He looked up from the folder and smiled, “Too bad they didn’t take you with them.” The Hussars had been redeployed elsewhere in the Free Worlds League three months ago, and weren’t due to be sent back to their garrison post on Sierra for another three months. “Now then. I. Want. That. ‘Mech.”

“I want you to eat shit and die. Damned shame we don’t get what we…”

Blakeney kicked the boy in the head, the spur on his boot cutting a nasty gash in the young man’s cheek.

***

Shana O’Neill gently rubbed the scar on her cheek, it had taken her almost a month to recover from the concussion that kick had given her. Caught up in her memories, she almost missed the green light notifying her that she was to enter the arena.

Ishiyama was the Arena for the Draconis sector on Solaris. They liked fast brutal matches. Shana was an artist with LRMs. If she got the chance, she’d make the Dracs happy tonight.

This wasn’t Shana’s first time in Ishiyama, but it was Blakeney’s. She turned right at the first junction and started the sixty-five ton bird-like mech sprinting up the ramps to the upper level of the arena. Blakeney’s Marauder wasn’t the standard model. It looks like he had his techs do a combination of the Marik and Davion variants. He’s replaced the dorsal autocannon and the PPCs with Magna Mk III heavy lasers. Still inefficient when it comes to heat, but no ammo to worry about either.

Shana made quick work of getting to the top of the Grand Gallery. A gigantic opening inside the arena over twenty meters tall, over a hundred wide and several hundred yards long. She checked her sensors out of habit, but magres was useless in the Factory. The place was made out of ferroconcrete and rebar.

The com-channel for the producers lit up, Shana keyed it live. “O’Neill! There is another ‘mech in the arena! I repeat, there is another ‘mech in the arena!”

“What kind?”

“A Jagermech.”

Shana didn’t know anyone who was a contender that used a Jagermech. “Wait a second! There was a Jagermech in the Blue side Launch Bay.” Which meant…

She stepped on the pedals and the Catapult went up and to the right. Shana spun her ‘mech around in mid-air and smiled as her luck held. The Jagermech was just coming to the top of the ramp, barely two hundred meters away.

As Shana’s ‘mech landed, the doors on the shoulder missile pods came open. In the cockpit, Shana waited for the green reticle to stop blinking as she held it over the heart of the Jagermech. Half a heartbeat later, the reticle glowed bright green.

“Hard lock and fire.” Thirty long range missiles erupted from the Catapult’s shoulder pods. In the brief few moments of flight time, three lost lock and slipped past the target. The other twenty-seven slammed into the torso of the Jagermech. Exploding missiles splintered craters across the chest of the big ‘mech and despite the sledgehammer blow of the missile volley, the pilot kept control of the ‘mech.

The Jagermech’s torso rotated towards Shana and the twin autocannons in both arms opened fire. Both of the light autocannons hit the port shoulder pod and one of the standard autocannons splintered a chunk of armor from the port side of her ‘mech’s torso.

Again, Shana used her Catapult’s jump capability to move sideways and maintain range with the Jagermech. And again when she landed, another salvo of thirty missiles leapt towards her target. Both flights were dead on target, and this time all thirty hit the ‘mech. What was left of the cratered torso armor crumpled and blew apart as the fresh volley came down on the Jagermech. A few missiles made it through the armor and exploded deep in the torso, destroying the big ‘mech’s gyroscope.

Shana watched the ‘mech fall over onto it’s face. You could always tell a gyroscope hit by the way the ‘mech fell. Unmistakeable.

That’s when Shana got caught not paying attention.

The first heavy laser hit the back of the starboard missile pod, the second hit the right rear armor of the Catapult and if it had been a PPC instead of the laser, the fight might have been over right there. The third laser hit the right leg of Shana’s ‘mech.

Red lights started blinking on the status monitor. Right pod armor was down by almost two-thirds, right rear flank armor was gone, and her right leg armor was down by just under half. Shana realized that Blakeney must be roasting in that cockpit after firing all three of those big lasers simultaneously, while she was completely comfortable in hers. The Marauder was never designed for heat-efficiency. The Catapult was.

Shana turned her ‘mech to face Blakeney’s. She stepped on the pedals to accelerate the bird-like ‘mech to over sixty kilometers per hour. She had to close the range to make her idea work. At one hundred meters, the four medium lasers built into the Catapult’s torso came to life. One carved armor from the Marauder’s left leg. Two more melted over half of the armor from the left arm of the big seventy-five ton ‘mech. The last cut a furrow along the side of Blakeney’s cockpit.

In return, Blakeney fired everything he had. The dorsal laser missed, but the paired heavy and medium laser in the left arm took all the remaining armor off of the Catapult’s right leg and chewed into the myomer muscle of the leg. The pair in the right arm sheared off most of the armor on the left front flank of Shana’s ‘mech.

The infrared sensor in Shana’s ‘mech was showing a huge plume on the Marauder. Shana was still running cool, which combined with her skill let her keep the smaller ‘mech upright after taking the strikes from Blakeney’s Marauder.

“Rotten sonofabitch.” Shana stepped on the jump pedals again and the bird-like ‘mech responded. The Catapult rose up right above the boiling hot Marauder and then came crashing down. Death from above.

The Catapult’s right leg shattered on impact with the Marauder. The left leg’s foot came crashing down on the cockpit and Sir Blakeney’s scream as he was crushed to death went out over the networks live. The Catapult fell to it’s right side and stayed there.

***

It would take a couple of weeks of work to get Diana back on both her feet again, but Shana wasn’t worried. She’d still be able to compete in the Open class tournament. She took the opportunity at the aftermatch press conference to come out. And she told the story of Sir MacDonald Blakeney and what he’d tried to accomplish. Two weeks before the match, Blakeney had found her. He threatened to out her as being trans unless she gave him a match for her rung on the tournament ladder. She also told the story about Blakeney and what he’d done back on Sierra.

The response was a lot better than what Shana had feared. Some had went off, calling her a freak. But most just accepted her for who she was and what she was. Shana O’Neill, mechwarrior.

*** Author's Note: I rushed this to try and make it under the wire for the contest. This story completely told might be a full novel. I hope the brevity doesn't discount from the fun. ***

up
69 users have voted.
If you liked this post, you can leave a comment and/or a kudos! Click the "Thumbs Up!" button above to leave a Kudos

Comments

I liked it...

Andrea Lena's picture

...thank you!

  

To be alive is to be vulnerable. Madeleine L'Engle
Love, Andrea Lena

nice story

wolfjess7's picture

Great opening and tie in with both Battletech and Mechwarrior. As a Long time fan and player (Fist played in 1988)I found it well written.

May the peace and happiness of the Goddess keep and protect you
as always your humble outlaw
Jessie Wolf

Battletech

I began playing way back when FASA first released the game. I still have the paper Robotech counters before they went to cardboard and the plastic stands.

You caught the gritty not-quite civilized flavor of BT very well. I rather thought they ruined the game when they bought in the Clans. I liked the Road-Warrior/Dune thing with battle-mechs like background.

Good job!
hugs
Grover

BATTLETECH FTW!!!

BATTLETECH FTW!!!

(•_•)

Internet High Fives All Around
Stardraigh

( •_•)>⌐■-■

My Deviantart

(⌐■_■)

I liked this a lot.

Though not videogames for me since I played the old table top version way before it and Mechwarrior the old tabletop rpg game which was wonderful. This story actually took me into that role-play universe one that I really adored.

*Great Big Hugs*

Bailey Summers

Mechwarrior

Elsbeth's picture

Mechwarrior was fun, the figures were too. Played at a GenCon or some such and FSA had a huge display. I really liked the books, although been a while since I read them. I heard that recently they re-leased them in plastic.

-Elsbeth

Is fearr Gaeilge briste, ná Béarla clíste.

Broken Irish is better than clever English.

Well, this is certainly a

Well, this is certainly a universe that I never thought I'd see crop up on this site. :D

Battletech and TG

TG actually gets a mention in one of the Battletech novels. It would appear to still be a hotbutton topic in the year 3025 and later. I can't remember which book it was in since I lost the majority of my books last year. However, it was shortly before the 3039 war when Davion snatched up a very sizable chunk of Capellan space as a Wedding present to Melissa Stiener.

I can check

I just unpacked all of my books after moving...

...honestly...

...I'm like 90% sure I've unpacked all of my books.

I have a lot of books.

I have almost all of the Battletech novels and about half the gaming books still. I'll look for this bit of info. I vaguely remember it. My mind keeps thinking it's in one of the books with the 17th Recon Regiment(Comacho's Caballeros) with the Suthorn girl as one of the main characters.

(•_•)

Internet High Fives All Around
Stardraigh

( •_•)>⌐■-■

My Deviantart

(⌐■_■)

TG in BT

It is in reference to the son of the Marik leader being treated by NAIS and Davion covering up his death. There is no actual TG person involved only the fertile imagination of the Yellow Rags on New Avalon when a young lady who resembles the son is spotted.

Irony

Just finished playing a game of Mechwarrior online, before reading this...

we could...

...all write a short story in the Battletech universe and make it a compilation like the tg mixed tape.

(•_•)

Internet High Fives All Around
Stardraigh

( •_•)>⌐■-■

My Deviantart

(⌐■_■)

More Battletech!

erica jane's picture

That would be fun!

~And so it goes...

But...

...what would be the best way to organize this? Is this something we just message around and see who wants to participate, or is there an event thing we can use to ask others like an open call to contribute and then it's posted somehow?

I already have an idea of two or three stories that shouldn't be more than 5-6k words.

(•_•)

Internet High Fives All Around
Stardraigh

( •_•)>⌐■-■

My Deviantart

(⌐■_■)

Ummm....

erica jane's picture

As a professional procrastinator and someone who tried something like this long ago and failed...

I'm thinking that my organizational/editorial skills are around the same level as your average turnip.

But, we would definitely need someone who could correlate and play Boss to assemble said Battletech Mix Tape.

~And so it goes...

I looked

I looked at the two mixed tapes. Hutchoo is the one who edited them. Looking at them now I didn't realize the word count for each individual story is really small. I don't write a complete story very well under a few thousand words.

An alternate idea:

We could just throw up a Battletech universe page and as stories are written, they can be put underneath them in the organizer. Also we could ask to have the universe page to be added as a tag in the TG Universes & Series field in the add story section. This way anyone can add a story, and we don't have to rely on a single editor/post.

I hope that made sense.

(•_•)

Internet High Fives All Around
Stardraigh

( •_•)>⌐■-■

My Deviantart

(⌐■_■)

Sounds good

erica jane's picture

To me...

I just hope there are more people who will contribute besides you and me.

:)

~And so it goes...

I'll throw up a page

I'll throw up a universe page and tag our names in it.

I've already outlined a story for this.

(•_•)

Internet High Fives All Around
Stardraigh

( •_•)>⌐■-■

My Deviantart

(⌐■_■)